S2 M9: Ancient Aliens

Started by James H. Hawk, September 09, 2018, 05:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judith Eastman

Quote from: Ivan Govorov on September 22, 2018, 07:38:15 PM

[Judy's Concert Hall]
Ivan's jaw dropped in shock as Judy turned this soft, 20th-century legendary ballad into a [spoiler]Shithole[/spoiler] "Very Vulgar' song. Govorov then looked at Judy, only to say "What the heck is this, Judy?!"

[Judy's Apartment]

"That was how you sway a jury," Judy answered. She was drunk, and tactless, enough not to appreciate the potentially offensive value of her performance. She was mostly in the right key, wasn't she? And her legal arguments were sound (an actual attorney would be less crass and less musical, but the legal reasoning held water).
But before Judy could launch Drunk Law School, she was disrupted by yet another storm.

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on September 22, 2018, 08:00:58 PM

Smiling and nodding left and right she went up to Judy and attempted a smile, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Judy?... can I talk somewhere, I don't want to spoil the party but I don't have long to tell everyone that needs to know and who I want to... to...aww...balls!"

The tear escaped before she could stop it and she dashed it away leaving a mascara streak across her cheek and the back of her hand.  "... to say goodbye."

Judy was sensible enough to appreciate Hrafn's emotional state, but she was also a New Yorker, and drunk enough to see everything as comedic.

"I know exactly what you're talking about, you slacking [spoiler]bitch[/spoiler]," Judy half-yelled in a stern tone. "Going off for light work on a starbase while I'm out here dealing with all the [spoiler]shit[/spoiler] that goes on on the Tempest. You realize that without you, Dihiq is the person I trust the most in that [spoiler]fucked[/spoiler]-up department, right?"

And that was when it ended. With a laugh, followed by a few sniffles, Judy pulled Hrafn in for a hug.

"Oh, I'm kidding. I recommended you," Judy whispered in her friend and underling's ear."The cream rises to the top; it's how God intended it to be," she added, slightly louder, before sitting down on the piano stool once more.
"Alright. This next song is for Hrafn. It's an audience participation song, so feel free to participate," Judy announced, before launching into an ad-libbed monologue.

"Sometimes in life, there are things that make you frown. Maybe you even dare and shed a tear. When that feeling comes near, just whistle, have no fear, and this'll make the future crystal clear."
As she reached the final line, Judy turned to a bit of singing tune, before throwing her arms at the piano and entering full singer mode (with occasional whistles instead of lines, as in the original).
"Always look on the bright side of life..."

As Judy sang the perhaps inappropriately cheery tune for her friend, Lawrence fled to his bedroom. Why he ever hung out around his mother, he didn't know.

Academy Civilian Instructor

"I promised, but I never promised to keep the promise" - Levi Eshkol

Jada

[Gold Coast]

Quote from: Klizh on September 21, 2018, 11:09:39 PM

K'lizh glanced at Jada for only a beat, and then--with one hand still on Naga's stomach--reached out and took Jada's hand in his other. "What we had will always be special, but now that I'm about to be a father, I need Naga to make an honest male out of me. But that doesn't mean we'll have to discontinue our ménage à trois."

He gave Hawk a big grin and shrugged. "Take it from me, Captain. Once you go green, nothing else is as keen."

Jada snatched her hand away. 'Oh no. I'm not going to be the bit on the side. I need dedication.' she railed in mock outrage. But she was wondered if Hawk was even noticing their performance, since he'd gone so quiet. Ah well.
Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Ozu Saya

Quote from: Judy Eastman on September 22, 2018, 01:29:23 PM

[Judy's Apartment]
"Later tonight, then," Judy answered. This was turning out rather well indeed, for her.
Then, it fell to [spoiler]shit[/spoiler], with the arrival of a wannabe man-stealer, carpet destroyer, and general idiot along with her lawyer.

"Frivolous," Judy assessed on hearing the idiot lawyer's spiel, before reluctantly leaving Malik's warm lap. She stood, reading the PADD through her glasses.
"Ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha, that portrait of Alexander Hamilton could do a better job than this lawyer. In fact, I could dismantle this piece of garbage entirely in song, and you know what? I will."

Judy moved towards her piano, and began to play the opening chords to the 20th century song Let it Be.

"As I find myself in legal scuffles/
I'm glad it is with schmos like these/
Their case holds no water/
It is [spoiler]shi-hit[/spoiler]."

Judy sang mostly in the correct key, improvising the words on the spot. It was quite impressive.
"They can't sue me on charges/
Of the sins of morons under me/
That's not how the law works/
Case is [spoiler]shi-hit[/spoiler].

"It's all [spoiler]shit[/spoiler]/
It's all [spoiler]shit[/spoiler]/
It's all [spoiler]shit[/spoiler], yeah/
It's all [spoiler]shit[/spoiler]/
No judge will ever buy this/
This is [spoiler]shi-hit[/spoiler]."

If Lawrence was embarrassed by his mother's promiscuity, he was absolutely humiliated by her musicianship. She, on the other hand, was beaming.
"You see, his orders were to listen/
Not to be a massive prick/
That was his idea/
'twas Di-hi-hiq."

And so Judy continued, shooting melodic holes through what was an atrociously bad attempt at prosecution. Dihiq was the culprit, the correct court was internal affairs, not the California state courts, and how did anyone expect any better? The lawyer studied at Cooley, considered the worst law school in the Federation since the charter was written.

[Judy's Apartment]

Kyo finally closed his gaping mouth only to cringe at Judy's singing. While she wasn't horribly off-key, his sensitive ear and perfect pitch couldn't help but be offended. And as a composer, the terrible, on-the-spot lyrics were almost worse to him.

He looked over his shoulder at Saya, wide-eyed. She shrugged and raised a brow. She'd seen Judy drunk that one other time, but she hadn't been nearly so inebriated then.

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on September 22, 2018, 08:00:58 PM

Smiling and nodding left and right she went up to Judy and attempted a smile, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Judy?... can I talk somewhere, I don't want to spoil the party but I don't have long to tell everyone that needs to know and who I want to... to...aww...balls!"

The tear escaped before she could stop it and she dashed it away leaving a mascara streak across her cheek and the back of her hand.  "... to say goodbye."

Hrafn's emotional entrance confused Saya. But her final sentence at least made sense. Are you leaving Tempest?. Saya's brow furrowed as she set aside her plate, lifted the sleeping Alieth to her shoulder, and rose to go to her friend.

Quote from: Judy Eastman on September 22, 2018, 08:23:19 PM

[Judy's Apartment]

Judy was sensible enough to appreciate Hrafn's emotional state, but she was also a New Yorker, and drunk enough to see everything as comedic.

"I know exactly what you're talking about, you slacking [spoiler]bitch[/spoiler]," Judy half-yelled in a stern tone. "Going off for light work on a starbase while I'm out here dealing with all the [spoiler]shit[/spoiler] that goes on on the Tempest. You realize that without you, Dihiq is the person I trust the most in that [spoiler]fucked[/spoiler]-up department, right?"

And that was when it ended. With a laugh, followed by a few sniffles, Judy pulled Hrafn in for a hug.

"Oh, I'm kidding. I recommended you," Judy whispered in her friend and underling's ear."The cream rises to the top; it's how God intended it to be," she added, slightly louder, before sitting down on the piano stool once more.
"Alright. This next song is for Hrafn. It's an audience participation song, so feel free to participate," Judy announced, before launching into an ad-libbed monologue.

"Sometimes in life, there are things that make you frown. Maybe you even dare and shed a tear. When that feeling comes near, just whistle, have no fear, and this'll make the future crystal clear."
As she reached the final line, Judy turned to a bit of singing tune, before throwing her arms at the piano and entering full singer mode (with occasional whistles instead of lines, as in the original).

As Judy sang the perhaps inappropriately cheery tune for her friend, Lawrence fled to his bedroom. Why he ever hung out around his mother, he didn't know.

Saya and Kyo glanced at each other, neither knowing what Judy was singing, so unable to participate anyway. This party was certainly becoming...interesting, to say the least. If it hadn't been Judy, Saya would probably have left already.

Vulcan-Bajoran Hybrid; 5'2"
Domen Kyo: Bajoran; 6'6"
George Hugo: Human; 6'6"
Eviess Aihai Annhw: Romulan-Human Hybrid; 5'

Jada

Cadet Volinna Voltab

[Corridor outside Judy's Den of Iniquity]

Quote from: Malik Grippen on September 22, 2018, 03:22:36 AM

"Volinna. Wait." He slipped free of Judy and stood up. "Let me go talk to her." He followed the Orions outside of the apartment and caught up with them in the corridor.

"Volinna. It's good to see you again. What was that about! I knew about the dress, but assault?"

Volinna spun to face him, her irritation softening at the sight of him. 'When that DiHiq threw a tray of food at me and slapped my foot, of course... Okay, I know, the slap was feeble and I earned it, and I already got payback for the humiliation. The assault and emotional distress and dishonour charges are just to pad out the case. But I need to be paid back for the dress. My allowance might be fantastic, but it's not unlimited, especially where Tholian silk dresses are concerned.' she explained.

The tortured strains of Eastman's song reached them. Volinna rolled her blue eyes. 'Ugh, now that demented slethi is singing. If that's meant to be a flyting, it's terrible. It doesn't even rhyme.'

The lawyer had moved on to give them space, though not so much that he couldn't eavesdrop for the facts of the case. He also listened in on the alleged song, but wasn't too concerned. 'We'll be requesting a consideration of Orion Codex traditional law, wherein superiors can be considered culpable for the actions of those under them.' Of course, they were using the actual law rather than the usual method of sending some goons around to extract payment, which was more effective.

More quietly, Volinna confided in Malik 'Listen, do you remember what we told you about Orion exchange and honour, "you don't get nothing for something"? I need to be paid back. My family are all on my back about this. What kind of leader could I be if I let some fool dishonour me and destroy my cargo, and not get payback? But Dihiq's declared bankruptcy and gone into hiding, Starfleet internal affairs is too busy with conspiracy and sabotage to worry about my dress, and Lieutenant Eastman was the one in charge of the operation. I just want someone to take responsibility. But responsibility seems to be in precious short supply around here.' she ended bitterly.

Alexander Wu

[Judy's Apartment]

And I used to be a white cloud. The rueful thought passed through Alex's mind even as he struggled to comprehend the whirlwind of occurrences that had just happened. He ended up shaking the offered hand that had stayed comically extended when the two Orions dropped their bombshell, managing a polite smile and a, "Pleasure to meet you Mr.Domen-", before he was interrupted by fairly atrocious and vulgar singing compliments of the host and apparent target of a lawsuit.

Clenching his jaw to suppress a beautifully formulated reprimand courtesy of his days as a COB, Alex had to remind himself that he was in Eastman's personal dwelling by invitation, and despite the expectation that a Starfleet officer was always on duty in regards to dress and deportment, it wasn't always reinforced in practice. Still, Judy seemed to take the reluctance of anyone to intrude upon her repertoire as encouragement and very soon fulfilled the adage, 'Give them an inch and they'll take it and run'.

Setting his glass aside, Alex stepped into the conversation between the two science officers, his voice icily civil. "Miss Falleg, pardon the interruption. Before you leave, I'd like to speak with you as well. Lieutenant Eastman, with me." He nodded towards the hallway where he was willing to afford her a semblance of privacy, away from her friends and guests. "I don't recall seeing anything in the written report which would give credibility to what the Orion cadet is seeking legal action for. However, that seemed a very personal accusation. Would you care to shed some light on the matter?"

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

Malik Grippen

[Corridor outside Judy's Apartment, Upper West Side, Manhattan]

Quote from: Jada on September 22, 2018, 10:33:06 PM

Cadet Volinna Voltab

[Corridor outside Judy's Den of Iniquity]

Volinna spun to face him, her irritation softening at the sight of him. 'When that DiHiq threw a tray of food at me and slapped my foot, of course... Okay, I know, the slap was feeble and I earned it, and I already got payback for the humiliation. The assault and emotional distress and dishonour charges are just to pad out the case. But I need to be paid back for the dress. My allowance might be fantastic, but it's not unlimited, especially where Tholian silk dresses are concerned.' she explained.

The tortured strains of Eastman's song reached them. Volinna rolled her blue eyes. 'Ugh, now that demented slethi is singing. If that's meant to be a flyting, it's terrible. It doesn't even rhyme.'

The lawyer had moved on to give them space, though not so much that he couldn't eavesdrop for the facts of the case. He also listened in on the alleged song, but wasn't too concerned. 'We'll be requesting a consideration of Orion Codex traditional law, wherein superiors can be considered culpable for the actions of those under them.' Of course, they were using the actual law rather than the usual method of sending some goons around to extract payment, which was more effective.

More quietly, Volinna confided in Malik 'Listen, do you remember what we told you about Orion exchange and honour, "you don't get nothing for something"? I need to be paid back. My family are all on my back about this. What kind of leader could I be if I let some fool dishonour me and destroy my cargo, and not get payback? But Dihiq's declared bankruptcy and gone into hiding, Starfleet internal affairs is too busy with conspiracy and sabotage to worry about my dress, and Lieutenant Eastman was the one in charge of the operation. I just want someone to take responsibility. But responsibility seems to be in precious short supply around here.' she ended bitterly.

Malik winced at the sound of Judy's singing drifting into the corridor like a bad smell, What on Risa is she doing. I felt she was tense, but perhaps she's finally snapped. As Volinna reminded him of their discussion last week over dinner, he inwardly cringed at remembering choking on Szechwan chicken in front of the orions.

Family in any other connotation wouldn't ordinarily carry that much weight, but the fact that Volinna was princess of Ayirn meant her royal family's honor was at stake, and possibly even Federation relations with Ayirn itself.

"Yes, I wouldn't expect to get anything out of Dihiq." He glanced to the lawyer who was as would be expected, listening in to their conversation. "What I know of Eastman, she won't make this easy so you can expect a long, costly and potentially embarrassing legal battle. That may hurt your family's reputation even more, she'll use everything in her power to portray you as anything but regal and drag your name through the dirt."

He rubbed his chin for a moment in contemplation. "What if there was an easier method to make this all go away. A Tholian silk dress is expensive, but Judy does have items in her possession that are of equal value. What if she gave you something of hers in recompense?" Of course convincing Judy of this would require a minor miracle, but he would use all his powers of persuasion. It was for the good of all concerned after all.

Species: Risian | Age: 29 | Profile | Personal Log | Character Images

Jada

Cadet Volinna Voltab

[Corridor outside Judy's Joint]

'I can get more lawyers.' Volinna had said, and Murv looked hurt at this. Regardless, Volinna was understandably reluctant to risk any muck-raking; her status as a princess would be exposed and whatever reputation she won at home for her escapades would be lost on Earth and in Starfleet. Eastman's lot wouldn't respect any "what happens in heat, stays in heat" rules.

So she liked Malik's proposal with a "go on" look. 'I'm not wearing one of her dresses.' she pouted like a princess, but agreed to the general idea. She glanced to Murv, who nodded his support. 'Okay, that works for me. Money, material, time, work, or blood, anything can be paid, so long as it's worth thirty strips of latinum... I'm not greedy, I can afford to be magnanimous. A donation to the slave girl rescue and rehabilitation charity will do just as well.'

Hrafn Falleg

Quote from: Judy Eastman on September 22, 2018, 08:23:19 PM

[Judy's Apartment]

"That was how you sway a jury," Judy answered. She was drunk, and tactless, enough not to appreciate the potentially offensive value of her performance. She was mostly in the right key, wasn't she? And her legal arguments were sound (an actual attorney would be less crass and less musical, but the legal reasoning held water).
But before Judy could launch Drunk Law School, she was disrupted by yet another storm.

[Judy's Party]

Judy's tirade at first took Hrafn aback then giggling through the tears she grinned and joined in the song which she knew pretty well, whistling along in the right places.  When it ended she smiled and hugged Judy.

"Thanks I needed that and, thanks for the recommendation too, I appreciate that, you will keep in touch won't you?"

Quote from: Alexander Wu on September 22, 2018, 10:55:36 PM

[Judy's Apartment]

And I used to be a white cloud. The rueful thought passed through Alex's mind even as he struggled to comprehend the whirlwind of occurrences that had just happened. He ended up shaking the offered hand that had stayed comically extended when the two Orions dropped their bombshell, managing a polite smile and a, "Pleasure to meet you Mr.Domen-", before he was interrupted by fairly atrocious and vulgar singing compliments of the host and apparent target of a lawsuit.

Clenching his jaw to suppress a beautifully formulated reprimand courtesy of his days as a COB, Alex had to remind himself that he was in Eastman's personal dwelling by invitation, and despite the expectation that a Starfleet officer was always on duty in regards to dress and deportment, it wasn't always reinforced in practice. Still, Judy seemed to take the reluctance of anyone to intrude upon her repertoire as encouragement and very soon fulfilled the adage, 'Give them an inch and they'll take it and run'.

Setting his glass aside, Alex stepped into the conversation between the two science officers, his voice icily civil. "Miss Falleg, pardon the interruption. Before you leave, I'd like to speak with you as well. Lieutenant Eastman, with me." He nodded towards the hallway where he was willing to afford her a semblance of privacy, away from her friends and guests. "I don't recall seeing anything in the written report which would give credibility to what the Orion cadet is seeking legal action for. However, that seemed a very personal accusation. Would you care to shed some light on the matter?"

"Of course Mr. Wu!" Hrafn smiled.  She nodded politely as he took Judy to the hallway and waited for him to return.

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Judith Eastman

[Not quite Carnegie Hall]

"...Always look on the bright side of life!"
Judy finished her song. It seemed to Lawrence, self-exiled to his room, that he would finally get some relief from the constant embarrassment.

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on September 23, 2018, 11:14:25 AM

[Judy's Party]

Judy's tirade at first took Hrafn aback then giggling through the tears she grinned and joined in the song which she knew pretty well, whistling along in the right places.  When it ended she smiled and hugged Judy.

"Thanks I needed that and, thanks for the recommendation too, I appreciate that, you will keep in touch won't you?"

"So long as I can hold a PADD," Judy promised, while still in the embrace. "Which, at my age, might mean 60 years or 60 days, you never know."

She laughed, and sat back down at the piano to demonstrate her vocal range with I Shot the Sheriff, but was stopped...

Quote from: Alexander Wu on September 22, 2018, 10:55:36 PM

[Judy's Apartment]

... by Commander Buzzkill, leading her to the hallway. As she moved into it, Judy "kissed" (actually touched with her palm, as custom dictates) the mezuzah on that doorway (she had one on all doors but the bathroom, per custom). Upon seeing that Wu intended to converse there, Judy succinctly said "study," and led Wu to her study.

Judy's study was possibly the most elegant room in the house. There were curtains, a wooden desk with chairs on both sides, and artwork adorning the walls - including portraits of Napoleon Bonaparte and Edmond James de Rothschild. She pulled up her own office chair, and motioned to a slightly cheaper but still comfortable chair across from it.

"You want to use our time off to discuss that whole mishegoss. Fine," Judy said, clearly upset over being pulled away from her audience. "So be it. Cadet Dick, as usual, screwed up his orders, royally. He was ordered to listen to conversations at the club, a reasonable order if ever there was one, but he had to get in a kerfuffle with this Orion. He was incoherent and whiny in his report, but it seems like she tried to hit on him, and he didn't like that, so he spilled food, slapped her, and ran away. Under any reasonable legal system, it's his fault, and he should pay."
Then, she turned to her own involvement.
"As for where I come in, I suspect that's twofold. First, I was making progress with a man she'd been with, and it's a little embarrassing for a young woman who thinks she's hot stuff that a wrinkled, divorced old dinosaur can achieve just as much. Second, I have money to be sued for. Dihiq is insolvent, Starfleet takes years to process payments, but surely she can just stick her arm in my purse and leave without me noticing."

Academy Civilian Instructor

"I promised, but I never promised to keep the promise" - Levi Eshkol

Malik Grippen

Quote from: Jada on September 23, 2018, 10:02:23 AM

Cadet Volinna Voltab

[Corridor outside Judy's Joint]

'I can get more lawyers.' Volinna had said, and Murv looked hurt at this. Regardless, Volinna was understandably reluctant to risk any muck-raking; her status as a princess would be exposed and whatever reputation she won at home for her escapades would be lost on Earth and in Starfleet. Eastman's lot wouldn't respect any "what happens in heat, stays in heat" rules.

So she liked Malik's proposal with a "go on" look. 'I'm not wearing one of her dresses.' she pouted like a princess, but agreed to the general idea. She glanced to Murv, who nodded his support. 'Okay, that works for me. Money, material, time, work, or blood, anything can be paid, so long as it's worth thirty strips of latinum... I'm not greedy, I can afford to be magnanimous. A donation to the slave girl rescue and rehabilitation charity will do just as well.'

"30 strips of latinum, that shouldn't be a problem." That was about the going rate for a fine, tailor made dress.

Malik ran a hand back through his hair. "Maybe we can make Dihiq work off that debt, community service as it were. In any case, do you want to go back in and talk to her? Commander Wu is present, he'll make a good mediator."

He eyed her dress for a moment, she looked both professional and sumptuous, every bit the royal.

"Or, we could go get a drink first? It'd be a shame to put that outfit to waste don't you think, and the party's essentially over now."

Ozu Saya

[Judy's Apartment]

As Judy, Hrafn and Wu retreated, Kyo dropped back onto the couch and retrieved his plate. Saya sat next to him with a small sigh. I do not think this party is going very well, though I have little enough experience to go on.

I have to agree. This may be one of the most awkward parties I've ever been to.

Somehow when they sat again, Saya and Kyo ended up closer so that they were actually touching now as they tried to eat their rapidly cooling food.

I am glad I came. Are you upset I showed up without letting you know?

No. I am pleased to see you. We can discuss what we want to do the day after tomorrow.

Sure. I liked some of the ideas Judy suggested. What about a hike and a picnic? Nothing too strenuous.

That would be enjoyable. Alieth will have to come, unless Judy would be willing to care for her. I will ask her.

Either way is fine with me. Can we look up some places?

Saya reached for her bag, which had been deposited on the floor, pulling out a PADD. With a few taps, she pulled up a list of popular hiking trails at old national and state parks. Hmm. Hawaii or Alaska look interesting.

I like the Hawaii one. Or what about this one? Olympic State Park in Washington? Long but easy trail in a rain forest? That sounds amazing.

Saya looked over the information. There was a transporter pad at the trail head, so it would be easy to get to. They would have no trouble making an easy day trip of it. Yes, I like that. She gave him a sideways look. I could cook something for our picnic. Judy has been teaching me.

Kyo grinned. I'd love that. But I'll bring something, too. Probably not homemade, though.

Saya nodded in agreement and they went on in their own little world, finalizing what plans they could. Saya would ask Judy at some point, if she would watch Alieth and help her cook something the morning of their hike.

Vulcan-Bajoran Hybrid; 5'2"
Domen Kyo: Bajoran; 6'6"
George Hugo: Human; 6'6"
Eviess Aihai Annhw: Romulan-Human Hybrid; 5'

Jada

Quote from: Malik Grippen on September 23, 2018, 04:58:58 PM

"30 strips of latinum, that shouldn't be a problem." That was about the going rate for a fine, tailor made dress.

Malik ran a hand back through his hair. "Maybe we can make Dihiq work off that debt, community service as it were. In any case, do you want to go back in and talk to her? Commander Wu is present, he'll make a good mediator."

He eyed her dress for a moment, she looked both professional and sumptuous, every bit the royal.

"Or, we could go get a drink first? It'd be a shame to put that outfit to waste don't you think, and the party's essentially over now."

'Mmm, business before pleasure, I think.' Volinna purred, looking Malik over and fondly remembering their last encounter. What happened in heat might stay in heat, but was not forgotten.

'Very well, let's go negotiate. But you know that I'm someone who demands satisfaction.'

Alexander Wu

Quote from: Judy Eastman on September 23, 2018, 12:24:32 PM

She laughed, and sat back down at the piano to demonstrate her vocal range with I Shot the Sheriff, but was stopped...
... by Commander Buzzkill, leading her to the hallway. As she moved into it, Judy "kissed" (actually touched with her palm, as custom dictates) the mezuzah on that doorway (she had one on all doors but the bathroom, per custom). Upon seeing that Wu intended to converse there, Judy succinctly said "study," and led Wu to her study.

Judy's study was possibly the most elegant room in the house. There were curtains, a wooden desk with chairs on both sides, and artwork adorning the walls - including portraits of Napoleon Bonaparte and Edmond James de Rothschild. She pulled up her own office chair, and motioned to a slightly cheaper but still comfortable chair across from it.

"You want to use our time off to discuss that whole mishegoss. Fine," Judy said, clearly upset over being pulled away from her audience. "So be it. Cadet Dick, as usual, screwed up his orders, royally. He was ordered to listen to conversations at the club, a reasonable order if ever there was one, but he had to get in a kerfuffle with this Orion. He was incoherent and whiny in his report, but it seems like she tried to hit on him, and he didn't like that, so he spilled food, slapped her, and ran away. Under any reasonable legal system, it's his fault, and he should pay."
Then, she turned to her own involvement.
"As for where I come in, I suspect that's twofold. First, I was making progress with a man she'd been with, and it's a little embarrassing for a young woman who thinks she's hot stuff that a wrinkled, divorced old dinosaur can achieve just as much. Second, I have money to be sued for. Dihiq is insolvent, Starfleet takes years to process payments, but surely she can just stick her arm in my purse and leave without me noticing."

[Judy's Apartment - Study]

Nodding curtly to show appreciation of the chair offer, Alex remained standing next to it, one hand resting on it's back as he silently took in Judy's explanation. "Lieutenant, we're Starfleet officers, there's no such thing as time off. So, Cadet Dihiq was acting under your orders when he spilt food and came into physical contact with a fellow cadet during the sanctioned investigation of Tempest's tampering. An investigation that ended with the temporary detainment of all personnel present." He contemplated Eastman with a mild frown, mentally scouring the dusty memories of all those presiding officer courses he had been forced to take during his time with Columbus' JAG office.

I swear she's doing this on purpose. The antics, the behavior, the arrogance. Either it's the most elaborate prank ever, or she's trying to drive me off the ship. Finally, Alex grimly made his appraisal known. "It doesn't matter what she thinks she's entitled to. You were there under directives, albeit apparently too vague and ambiguous, fulfilling your duty. While it's unfortunate her dress was damaged, you are not personally liable; Starfleet assumed that responsibility when you were issued orders and in the aftermath when that whole mess was cleaned up. The cadet obviously hasn't thought this through, and if she has, I doubt there'll be much of a future in Starfleet for her. Forward the service documents to me directly, and I'll send them to our JAG representative. You don't need to worry about it, if she tries to contact you directly again, patch her straight to JAG."

Closing the matter, Alex began to leave, pausing midturn to add a sobering message. "One more thing, Lieutenant. If I hear, or hear of, you using a derogatory term to describe Cadet Dihiq or any other members of the Tempest's crew again, I will personally have you brought up on charges. Consider that your one and only warning. Eastman, you're smart and you're damn good at getting the job done. But you are also expected to act as a civilized officer and role model as an assigned department head. Being a leader isn't about being the best, it's about making those around you better. Since you seem to have taken a special interest in Cadet Dihiq's training, I want you to write weekly personal performance assessments on him and recommendations for remedial measures required to resolve any deficiencies you find. We'll set aside time every seven days to discuss it, and under your guidance, I expect to see rapid improvement. Questions?"

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

James H. Hawk

[Gold Coast]

James had tried to retire from the conversation and sit away with Webb, but K'lizh pursued. And with an odd request, too.

[colour=red]"Uh...I, errrr...not so surrre that I have the...the...qual...qulifications to..ah...to off....off...offiate...officiate...yeah, officiate a wedding..."[/color] he stumbled in a confused state. It sounded like a great honour...though he was not sure he could do it, even if he wanted to.

Adding to his confusion, Jada seemed to imply, and K'lizh confirmed that the two had apparently engaged in...fraternization, something he was surprised to find he was unaware of and even more surprised to listen to their rather frank discussion. His face contorted first into something resembling surprise and then confusion as he pondered the implications of such a revelation, his right eyebrowing rising in the popular Vulcan expression. In his drunken state, James had little ability to detect the two were in fact joking, something he would have picked up had he being a little more sober.

Malik Grippen

Quote from: Jada on September 23, 2018, 11:21:52 PM

'Mmm, business before pleasure, I think.' Volinna purred, looking Malik over and fondly remembering their last encounter. What happened in heat might stay in heat, but was not forgotten.

'Very well, let's go negotiate. But you know that I'm someone who demands satisfaction.'

"Great. But promise not to use your Orion Kung-fu if things get heated, ok?"

The pair walked back into the apartment and Malik searched for Judy, and heard the faint voice of commander Wu down a corridor in a separate room. He approached and knocked on the door frame, the portal still open.

"Commander, Judy. Volinna would like to talk and I believe there is a quick and easy way to make this all disappear. Without involving any third parties or judiciary bodies."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.