Author Topic: S2 M8: You Have the Right to Remain Silent  (Read 74647 times)

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S2 M8: You Have the Right to Remain Silent
« Reply #390 on: September 14, 2018, 03:20:39 am »
[Madam Gao's, San Francisco]

Volinna slid across the back seat, scissoring her long green legs to manoeuvre them through the taxi door, while placing a hand in Malik's so he could help her out. It was not exactly a suggestion, nor or a request, more a basic assumption that he would obey, like how the sun would rise tomorrow. Her every motion was graceful and elegant, designed to look good from any angle. 'I know I'm all kinds of hungry.'

Mavrik had done the same, hurrying around the taxi and opening the door for s'Metra, though she put considerably less effort into looking effortless as she climbed out. The Orions stopped to regard the curious fire-breathing reptilian creature. 'Oh, a dragon! They're a mythical Earth creature, a bit like planet-killers and crystalline entities, but not real. They're supposed to hoard and sleep on vast piles of gold.' Though following Jada's advice, s'Metra wasn't too sure exactly how to show off her wits for Mavrik, and instead resorted to this kind of trivia-based small-talk, showing off what she knew. It was as much as flirting as anything Volinna was doing. Of course, s'Metra had already shown her flars in going after Red Squad. She had nothing to prove.

'That can't be very comfortable.' Mavrik chuckled. 'Or good business.' The Orions laughed; it seemed to be a culture-specific joke.

Inside, once they were seated and had perused their menus,  s'Metra ordered honey chicken, Mavrik the Mongolian beef, and Volinna something with noodles, naturally. 'I think we can swap our dishes around, take what we want and put them in these little bowls. That way we can try a bit of everything.' s'Metra proposed. 'We can make it like a proper Orion banquet.'

'Yeah, that sounds good. We could get some rice and spring rolls too.'

'I love a good spring roll.'

s'Metra whispered an admonishment to Volinna behind a menu, but her defence was that they couldn't all be zingers.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:27:27 am by Jada »
Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Offline Malik Grippen

• Second Officers
  • Trusted Member
  • Buttery Sweet
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: September 17, 2018, 06:02:58 am »

Risan Mai Tai

The waiter took their orders and left to fetch the drinks. Malik leant back into the plush leather lined booth, trying to let the troubles of the past 12 hours ease away.

The waiter returned with their pitcher and glasses. Malik took the duty of pouring out everyone a glass. He raised his to the centre of the table,

It seemed like the right thing to do given the circumstances.

Species: Risian | Age: 29 | Profile | Personal Log | Character Images

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: September 17, 2018, 09:19:39 am »

'Yeah.' s'Metra agreed emphatically. It had been a day, for all of them. Suddenly, she didn't care so much for classes and studying tomorrow, only in forgetting today and having some fun with friends, not to be cowed like a slave.

The Orions took their drinks and followed Malik's lead in making the toast. 'To the Tempest!' s'Metra saluted. 'To good fortune.' Mavrik said, feeling a little self-conscious about it. 'And fun times!' Volinna added.

s'Metra sipped hers and said to Malik 'So, I hear you're serving on the Tempest now?'

Offline Malik Grippen

• Second Officers
  • Trusted Member
  • Buttery Sweet
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: September 17, 2018, 05:27:47 pm »

"That was the idea. Though I have yet to take a seat at helm and my first official shuttle flight ended up exploding. That was only a few hours ago. Suppose I had better reflect and process that at some point." He took a larger gulp of his tropical cocktail, staring off into the distance for a moment. "What about you three, what are your plans when you graduate? Your assistance at the yacht club should surely earn you some extra credit at the very least!"

The waiter came bearing a large tray and their assorted meals. He began to place them on the table and Malik started to lay out the small bowls so that they could all have a sample of each others. He unsheathed his chopsticks with a practiced hand, being no stranger to chinese food.

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2018, 12:11:39 am »

'That was the plan!' s'Metra said with a giggle. Apparently one sip of Risan mai-tai did it. 'I want a science officer posting on an exploration starship. Unoriginal, I know, but I really enjoyed my time on the Tempest in the Gamma Quadrant. I felt like a real New Days Explorer in the Outer Dark.'

'What, turning pirate, you mean?' Volinna teased after a sip of her own mai-tai.

They received their meals and spooned out helpings, starting with the ones they'd ordered themselves. s'Metra had more talent with the chopsticks, while Mavrik and Volinna worked them out without too much struggled.

'What about you, Volinna?' Mavrik turned back, rescuing s'Metra from any more of Volinna's needling.

Volinna looked a bit embarrassed, and idly wound her noodles onto a fork, sighing. 'I just want a ship and rank... My parents want me to go into politics and the "family business" when I'm of age. Until then, there aren't too many options for the gold class but business and military, or being a courtesan. So I picked Starfleet, to give me the skills and experience, a ship for prestige and rank for respect, a chance to live my life and see the stars, before it's my turn to serve as Federation Councillor.'

s'Metra and Mavrik glanced awkwardly to each other, evidently knowing what Volinna referred to, but it wasn't theirs to explain. Fortunately, Volinna did, for Malik's benefit. 'I'm Princess Volinna Voltab of Ayirn. Please don't spread that around, I have a reputation to maintain.'

Offline Malik Grippen

• Second Officers
  • Trusted Member
  • Buttery Sweet
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #395 on: September 18, 2018, 03:52:11 pm »

At s'Metra's ambition, Malik said "Not sure how much you'd enjoy being posted to the Tempest science team, the chief has a bit of a rep. You may have already met her at the yacht club. Though I'm sure she'd have her hands full with you." he smiled. He didn't know all of the references that were being mentioned, his knowledge of Orion culture was sadly lacking, but he got the gist.

Malik began to munch on his Szechwan chicken as Volinna started to explain what she wanted to do post-academy. He had just placed a particularly juicy chicken piece into his mouth and was mid-swallow when Volinna said the words 'princess Volinna Voltab of Ayirn'. The swallow gave up half-way as the chicken lodged itself in Malik's throat. He began to cough trying to dislodge the object, his face quickly turning red from a mix of shock, embarrassment and lack of vital oxygen. He stood trying to play it off, but quickly realised he was in trouble.

Choking out in front of Orion nobility, what a way to go!

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: September 18, 2018, 09:54:27 pm »

'He's choking!' s'Metra squawked, dropping her fork. 'Already?' Volinna wondered.

Mavrik reacted quickly, snapping upright and circling the table, his medic training taking over and dozens of lessons coming to the forefront of his mind. He remembered where the Risian diaphragm was situated, and the oesophagus rarely varied much. The patient had already tried coughing without success, so he had to move to more forceful treatments. In moments, he was behind Malik, slapping his back hard to compress the lungs and force air up the trachea to dislodge the obstruction. He tried the recommended five times, but without success. 'What did you swallow, the whole bird?'

So, finally he wrapped his strong Orion arms around him, clamped fists around his mid-section, muttered 'This may hurt.' and jerked inward with an abdominal thrust, commonly known to humans as the Heimlich manoeuvre. Malik was crushed in Mavrik's arms, but suddenly the artificially induced cough expelled the wad of meat from his trachea.

Offline Malik Grippen

• Second Officers
  • Trusted Member
  • Buttery Sweet
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #397 on: September 19, 2018, 12:21:34 pm »

Malik felt like Mavrik was about to squeeze him in half, until blissfully the chicken chunk vacated and landed with a soft plop on the floor to the aghast of other diners.

Malik quickly regained colour as he sucked in lungfuls of beautiful oxygen, waving away the anxious waiter and other patrons.

He took a seat again along with a sip of mai tai, trying to regain a cool that was obviously obliterated.

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: September 19, 2018, 09:02:39 pm »

Madam Gao and the waiters fussed around and offered apologies, but Mavrik assured them Malik was okay and that it was just an accident. They cleaned up the food and provided a jug of cool water and glasses. Mavrik gave Malik a quick check-up and pronounced okay, and eventually the fuss died down.

Volinna reached around the table and rubbed Malik's back soothingly, and indeed lingeringly, working her way ever lower. 'Six very protective brothers, yes.' Somehow, that might not be helping. 'Are you okay, sugar?'

Sensing the royalty thing might be something of a sticking point for Malik, s'Metra decided to change the topic. 'You know, you should be careful about saying what you owe whom.' she began lightly, returning to her honey chicken. 'Fair exchange is very important in our culture. "You don't get something for nothing" is like the first rule Orion Rule of Acquisition, as well as the law of conversation of energy. And a life is the most precious thing of all. So, you would have to save his life now.' she said with a merry grin.

'Or provide an equivalent service, favour, or payment.' Volinna clarified, apparently a future Federation Councillor after all.

Mavrik felt a bit embarrassed by the attention, not the prediction of his life being at risk. 'I wouldn't worry about it.' he muttered, waving it off. 'That's really old, traditional stuff.'

s'Metra, apparently being more traditional, went on. 'So now you can pay it forward. Save someone else's life while you're on the Tempest. That should be easy.'
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:30:31 am by Jada »

Offline Malik Grippen

• Second Officers
  • Trusted Member
  • Buttery Sweet
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2018, 04:38:57 pm »

Malik's embarrassment quickly burned away at the feel of Volinna's hand on his back. Her touch was for a moment, all he could focus on as she snaked her way lower with a gentle, sensual touch. Malik responded by sidling closer and turning to face her, so that they were close enough to smell each other's scent. "I'm suddenly feeling a lot better." he whispered in her ear.

As the orions explained their custom, Malik sipped at his mai-tai and listened with interest. This was the type of knowledge one needed to succeed in the multi-species Starfleet. "As a pilot, it is likely I'll encounter some dangerous situations where my ability alone is what can make the difference between life and death. But what would be considered an equivalent favour for a life?"

It was obvious Volinna and he had some chemistry and it was time for Malik to make the next move, yes she was nobility, but she was also a woman with her own wants and desires. If they were on Risa, the sun and lack of clothes would have likely already resulted in coupling. He smiled at Volinna and placed a hand on the top of her thigh under the table, so the others wouldn't notice.

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2018, 04:54:07 am »

Chewing on his Mongolian beef, Mavrik thought the idea over. It was an interesting question, kind of like what had gotten him into Starfleet at Captain Dala's direction. 'Oh, I guess you could save a life, or change a life for the better, or help someone do that. But I'm not a philosopher-accountant, I don't know for sure.' he qualified. 'Or, you know, just stop someone else choking. But really, it's a few minutes' medical treatment. And we don't do Wookiee life-debts, so you're safe.'

'Wookiee...? Is that from that Earthian movie with the laser swords?'

'Yeah, that's the one.'

'I've wanted to see that. It's funny what humans thought space would be like.'

'I have a copy, I could show it to you?'

'I'd like that.'

Meanwhile, Volinna reacted to Malik's touch, her back arching, but she grimaced a bit with discomfort. She wasn't quite ready for that, and had some limits after all. She whispered across to him. 'Uh uh. You can look but not touch.'

Offline Malik Grippen

• Second Officers
  • Trusted Member
  • Buttery Sweet
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: September 22, 2018, 03:59:19 am »

He thought that sounded more or less correct anyway, unaware of the massive spoiler he had just revealed. Malik started to eat his chilli chicken again, now fully recovered from his near death experience.

jamaharon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:00:48 am by Malik Grippen »

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2018, 11:30:51 pm »

'Wait, really? That's what caused Earth's World War Three? Wow...' s'Metra breathed in surprise and dismay.

'Yeah, humans often fight over things that don't exist. It's quite tragic.' Mavrik remarked mournfully, remembering his human psychology.

They ate in peace for a bit, and s'Metra finished her honey chicken and helped herself to the Mongolian beef with some rice. 'Mmm, that was nice... While we're sharing culture in fair exchange, what is the jamaharon about? I've heard it mentioned, but couldn't find out anything about it.'

Volinna had a smile, but was busy sucking up a noodle.

Offline Malik Grippen

• Second Officers
  • Trusted Member
  • Buttery Sweet
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #403 on: September 23, 2018, 07:49:51 am »

"I believe it was one of the contributing factors to the break out of hostilities, that and something called a Elon Musk declaring war on mankind, along with many other things such as over population, energy crisis, water shortages etc." If truth be told, Malik had spent the majority of his Earth history classes flirting with girls.

Malik placed his chopsticks on the table and sat back in the booth, his chicken mostly finished. He had to save some space for desert after all. He sipped at his Mai-Tai and refilled everyone's glasses as he spoke.

"Many people believe Jamaharon to be exclusively sexual in nature, but it is far more than that. Participants connect with each other on multiple levels, physical yes of course, but spiritual and emotional too. Through the use of a kind of sexual-hypnosis, the couple meld with each other and become one, feeling what the other feels thus increasing the sexual gratification of both. Often, people become more in touch with their feelings and friendly, open and honest as a result. It can truly change peoples lives."

"You declare your wish to undertake jamaharon by displaying a horga'hn, those small fertility statues." The waiter came to check everything was ok with their meal. "Anyone care for desert?"

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2018, 10:30:16 am »

The Orions had made an effort to sample all the dishes, and Mavrik could eat a lot, but all three avoided over-eating, and in fact carefully left some leftovers for the hungry, even if Earth didn't have such a homeless problem as Orion space.

As Malik explained the jamaharon, s'Metra and Mavrik managed to blush and look uncomfortable, away from each other, while Volinna naturally was intrigued. 'Now that sounds like the kind of spiritualism I can get my arms around.'

She snaked her hand under the table, caressing his leg and signalling her openness to being in touched in turn now. 'I think I've already said what I want for dessert.'

Meanwhile, s'Metra and Mavrik scanned their menus. 'Ooh, they do a deep-fried ice-cream. I wonder how they manage that. We'll have that.' she decided for herself and Mavrik.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles