Author Topic: S4 E6: 20,000 Leagues  (Read 55867 times)

Offline Thomas Jett

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S4 E6: 20,000 Leagues
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2020, 06:36:25 pm »
[Shuttle Bay 1]

[Dr. Dugris "Doug" Zaman - Shuttlebay 1]

"Not the holodeck, Lieutenant. Scotland, in your 19th century. I've been Listening for many of your centuries," he explained. "It's been incredible to watch you grow, but then sometimes you come back to your roots - the good kind, like what we did now, as well as the tribalism. Tribalism can be fun, though, but when it's sports, not wars. So many wars were very silly affairs, in hindsight."

Slowly, Doug began to question whether his mouth should really keep moving in this way and making these sounds. He concluded that it shouldn't.

"What I'm saying is, you've come very far."

Jett looked at the man and asked the basic question .  Jett gave the man a weird look he had heard this species before.  .  The former officer looked at him.  He looked at the person from top of bottom and studying the man.  .  He stood silent for a second as he appeared to be interested in the man.   Jett looked down .  As he finished his statement he turned around.  . The former officer mentioned as the last thing he wanted him being used as an example of humanity for this century.

[Petty Officer Kellen Gates - Holodeck 2]

Petty Officer Kellen Gates was fixing his right cuff-link and about to pluck a champagne flute from a highly polished, gold plated tray that a well-dressed waiter was holding out for him when he heard the call. Around him elegant ladies in floor-length gowns and tuxedo-ed men paused in their murmured conversations to seek out the source of the uncouth holler.

The string quartet struck up again, and Gates moved toward Peter, his expression reflecting sudden worry. "Fab-   sir." He'd amended quickly, forgoing the nickname just in time. This man was technically his superior, he should greet him accordingly. "Apologies. This is a spy holonovel. Flick recommended it. It's about this debonair Englishman called James Bond."

That likely wasn't why Fabio was there. "Is everything okay?"

[Lieutenant Niamh O'Leary - Shuttle Bay 1]

Ah, she thought, Mad after all.

But it was of no matter. She found she liked him anyway. As Thomas Jett took a couple of the flutes and held them out for her, ready to be poured, she took advantage and started filling them. A little at first, then she waited for the bubbles to settle, and topped them up. She handed one to Doug with a smile that might have contained a little affection, which was a bit weird, and agreed with his sentiments. "Most wars are silly, to be sure. And right ye are; I myself often feel the odd bit of piping hot tribalism pumping through my Celtic veins."

When it came to her turn to pour herself a flute she became distracted by the criminal's observations. She put the champagne bottle down, out of the way, and then grabbed the last glass from the man's hand.

"Wrong!"

With some apparent satisfaction, the Flight Chief took a generous swig from the delicate flute, and then almost choked at the sensation of the bubbles fizzing up in her nose. "Congratulations, Jett, ye got the job," she managed to cough out. Then she smiled and proudly announced, "Afflicted with intense aquaphobia so I am."
  He responded.  The former officer stood there silent in shock as he realized she was not joking.  .  He finished as he looked at the shubble.  Controlling that thing from the air to water is going to be hard.  For most people, it would almost be impossible.  As she mentioned she had the phobia it did not take much to realize that only elite pilots would stand a chance of controlling it.

As he looked the Luitenant he asked .  The former officer asked as he wondered how many lives would depend.

Offline Dugris Zaman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Worst charades player ever
  • Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2020, 08:16:29 pm »

Ah, she thought, Mad after all.

But it was of no matter. She found she liked him anyway. As Thomas Jett took a couple of the flutes and held them out for her, ready to be poured, she took advantage and started filling them. A little at first, then she waited for the bubbles to settle, and topped them up. She handed one to Doug with a smile that might have contained a little affection, which was a bit weird, and agreed with his sentiments. "Most wars are silly, to be sure. And right ye are; I myself often feel the odd bit of piping hot tribalism pumping through my Celtic veins."

When it came to her turn to pour herself a flute she became distracted by the criminal's observations. She put the champagne bottle down, out of the way, and then grabbed the last glass from the man's hand.

"Wrong!"

With some apparent satisfaction, the Flight Chief took a generous swig from the delicate flute, and then almost choked at the sensation of the bubbles fizzing up in her nose. "Congratulations, Jett, ye got the job," she managed to cough out. Then she smiled and proudly announced, "Afflicted with intense aquaphobia so I am."
[Shuttle Bay 1]

Jett looked at the man and asked the basic question .  Jett gave the man a weird look he had heard this species before.  .  The former officer looked at him.  He looked at the person from top of bottom and studying the man.  .  He stood silent for a second as he appeared to be interested in the man.   Jett looked down .  As he finished his statement he turned around.    He responded.  The former officer stood there silent in shock as he realized she was not joking.  .  He finished as he looked at the shubble.  Controlling that thing from the air to water is going to be hard.  For most people, it would almost be impossible.  As she mentioned she had the phobia it did not take much to realize that only elite pilots would stand a chance of controlling it.

As he looked the Luitenant he asked .  The former officer asked as he wondered how many lives would depend.

Doug chuckled bemusedly, both at the interaction over the champagne and at Jett's patently false assertion. Then, he began to sip champagne from his flute.

"I am El-Aurian, and you're a lot more interesting than you realize, Mr. Jett," he replied as he adjusted his bow tie. "You're a very unique fella, and I'd like to get to know you better."

He had some more champagne.

"I can't wait to see how she flies. Probably lousy, but I still want to see," he then commented, regarding the Nemo.

Offline Lyric McDaniels

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • How long is forever? Sometimes just one second.
  • Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2020, 11:11:36 pm »
[Shuttlebay 1]

While everyone else talked, Lyric moved off to the side to get Captain Ellis on the comms and let her know the Shubble was done

=/\= "McDaniels to Captain Ellis. Sorry to interrupt, if you're busy, Ma'am. Just letting you know the Shubble, eh Submersible Shuttle, is all complete." =/\=

Message delivered, she made her way back over to the group.

Doug chuckled bemusedly, both at the interaction over the champagne and at Jett's patently false assertion. Then, he began to sip champagne from his flute.

"I am El-Aurian, and you're a lot more interesting than you realize, Mr. Jett," he replied as he adjusted his bow tie. "You're a very unique fella, and I'd like to get to know you better."

"I can't wait to see how she flies. Probably lousy, but I still want to see," he then commented, regarding the Nemo.

"He. Nemo's a boy. He's got a periscope." Lyric giggled softly at her own joke. She was pleased however, that everyone seemed to be getting along much better. It put her more at ease, even Mr. Jett seemed to be in good spirits.

"I hope I get to go too. Going around and exploring underwater would be so fun... and uhm... probably could use someone who helped put the shubble together just in case, yeah?"

Species: Changeling

If you could be anything you wanted, why wouldn't you choose to be happy?

Offline Mondo'li Nari

• Approved Applicants
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2020, 11:22:15 pm »
USS Shran - Miller's Quarters - Deck 8

If we'd have known better, we'd have done better...

Mondo was grateful for the kind words.  It was good to know that Peter did not blame him personally for his dereliction of duty.  It was like one Master telling him not to feel guilty about the death of another.  His oath to Starfleet was a strange thing.  Servants in Hupyrian culture did not usually take vows to organizations.  That had been Mondo's unique choice.

It carried unique responsibilities.

As the body was evacuated for autopsy, and the option of isolating the entire ship was discussed, Mondo stood in the corner and let his gaze drift across the mundanity of it.  It wasn't that there were no signs, here.  He was sure of it.  It was that he had failed to see something.  Something that seemed mundane was not.  Something had been overlooked.

True, Mondo had no idea what that was.  None of them did.  And surely they'd have done better if they could.

'Speak to me, room,' Mondo thought.

But the room said nothing.

Perhaps the body would speak to the Doctors.   

He hoped so.  If the walls would not talk, then ghosts needed to.

Offline Lawrie McGellen

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • I treat everyone, even green blooded hobgoblins!
  • Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2020, 10:17:07 am »

[Miller's Quarters --> Sickbay]

Alec nodded at the other officer in blue and said briefly, Dr. Alec Trenzal, civilian medical doctor, as well as Commander Corliss' husband.

With a small sigh, he looked down at Miller's body again. Site to site is a good idea. I also think we ought to stick to at least partial quarantine procedures - limit the people in the room and put a force field around it - just until we figure out what's going on. If we can.

Alec shook his head. This was going to be rough.

It was but a moment later that the three doctors and the body of Ensign Miller were caught up in a transporter beam.

[Miller's Quarters - Sickbay]

"Roger that!" Lawrie said with a grim nod.  "I vote we have Grithaw, Nurse Rag,  in there with us for passing things, otherwise lockdown.  Kestra, I mentioned her before, Alec, is perfectly capable of handling anything else until we're back and if a fully qualified doctor is needed, well, Gatesy, even saddened and shocked by this news, would step up, of that I'm certain."

The beam took them and deposited them in Room 4, which Kestra had prepped as far as she could for 'standard' autopsy.

=/\=McGellen to Rag, report to Room 4 please. =/\=

The doctor heard the 2 clicks of a tap on Grithaw's commbadge as it was quicker to do that and appear, than it was answering.

The said nurse appeared, ready gowned up and masked, having been intercepted by Kestra who had quietly said that it was for an autopsy. 

"Chief brow swabber, reporting for duty, Doc...er Docs... erm..." Grithaw looked around at the sea of blue shirts, being covered by medical gowns.

"Dr. Kane, Sciences, Dr. Trenzal, civilian doctor but with us as he's husband to our Executive Officer Commander Corliss, Doctors... this is Nurse Rag."

"Grith, please!" the nurse insisted.

Lawrie considered a moment and said "Want to get your hands 'dirty', Alec?  Take lead?"

"I don't need a doctor, damn it, I am a doctor!"

Lawrie's Bio

Offline Felicity Ellis

• Veteran Member
  • Cap'n Mum
  • Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player with the best application.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2020, 10:29:58 am »
PO1 Peter Dannenberg
[USS Shran - Holodeck 2]

Peter glanced about. James Bond, huh? He didn't think Kellen was into stuff like that. Then again ... why not?

"No need to apologize. I should apologize for interrupting your recreational activity. But something has occurred I was sure you would want and need to know about." Peter's eyes that usually conveyed youthful mischief were looking at Gates dead serious.

He knew there was no right or gentle way to break such news. So Peter decided to just say it. "Ensign Miller was found dead in his quarters." He paused to let that sink in as he eyed the doctor before him, his expression conveying understanding and sympathy. He assumed Kellen might want to know what had happened, so Peter elaborated on that without prompting. "The ship detected another energy burst, alike to the one that had been picked up on the planet's surface. At this time we are not sure if that event is connected to Miller's death. The initial evaluation of Dr. Trenzal revealed a heart failure." He paused again, feeling sorry for Gates.

"Was there anything that would have indicated that Miller might have cardiological issues when you left him? Or did you notice anything else? The smallest hint might be elementary for us."

Kellen Gates swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down with the movement. The serious tone, the interruption of his personal time... in person, well, even he could tell that this would not be good news.

He appreciated the lack of preamble, but he could only manage a gaping stare in response, as his mind processed the shocking news. Suddenly the noise of the program was too much, and all around him the holographic characters, composed of light fluttered about without a care in the world. "Computer, end program."

James Bond's world disappeared, leaving Gatesy and Peter with the drab, grey loading area of the holodeck; suited to the suddenly somber mood. The young man's hand rubbed against his clean-shaven cheek as the implications dawned.

It wasn't until he was asked a direct question that he spoke again. "He seemed tired. I walked him into his quarters, got him a glass of water, but he only seemed interested in sleeping. He told me to leave. I shouldn't have left."

A heart attack? How was that possible? "I didn't want to miss my holodeck slot." He was appalled at himself and his chest began to tighten. "This is my fault!"

[Shuttle Bay 1]

Jett looked at the man and asked the basic question .  Jett gave the man a weird look he had heard this species before.  .  The former officer looked at him.  He looked at the person from top of bottom and studying the man.  .  He stood silent for a second as he appeared to be interested in the man.   Jett looked down .  As he finished his statement he turned around.    He responded.  The former officer stood there silent in shock as he realized she was not joking.  .  He finished as he looked at the shubble.  Controlling that thing from the air to water is going to be hard.  For most people, it would almost be impossible.  As she mentioned she had the phobia it did not take much to realize that only elite pilots would stand a chance of controlling it.

[Shuttlebay 1]

While everyone else talked, Lyric moved off to the side to get Captain Ellis on the comms and let her know the Shubble was done

=/\= "McDaniels to Captain Ellis. Sorry to interrupt, if you're busy, Ma'am. Just letting you know the Shubble, eh Submersible Shuttle, is all complete." =/\=

"He. Nemo's a boy. He's got a periscope." Lyric giggled softly at her own joke. She was pleased however, that everyone seemed to be getting along much better. It put her more at ease, even Mr. Jett seemed to be in good spirits.

"I hope I get to go too. Going around and exploring underwater would be so fun... and uhm... probably could use someone who helped put the shubble together just in case, yeah?"

O'Leary raised both eyebrows when Lyric suggested that their 'shubble' was a boy, because it had a periscope. She'd heard stranger things though, so she merely shrugged and seemed happy enough to go along with it. "Nemo is a good lad. I hope he keeps ye safe. With the right pilot, it shouldn't be much of a hardship." Her gaze was still sharp as she turned her attention to Jett, but she wasn't anywhere near as combative as she had been on arrival. Champagne helped her get over her lack of nap-time.

To hear that one in their company have been around at the advent of flight, and had witnessed its development, was a strange concept to wrap one's mind around. "I reckon the Doctor here would be a fine addition to have aboard the Nemo, so I do, based on centuries of experience alone. Jett here for flyin', and yerself for the fixin'," she finished with a nod toward the Engineer who had been curious as to the team's composition. "The rest will be up to the Cap."

[Lieutenant Mehl, daughter of K'tozh - Bridge]

"Commander." The klingon looked up, her intense gaze searching for the XO. Then she looked at Lieutenant Commander McKinson, an accusation in her tone. "Chief. I'm getting reports of power fluctuations throughout the ship. Decks 6 and 7."

She was beginning the think this shift would never end.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'
Bio: Felicity Ellis

Offline Aryn Corliss

• Trusted Member
  • Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2020, 10:38:01 am »
[Felicity Ellis - Corridor, Outside Miller's Quarters, Deck 8]

Aryn's voice broke through then.

She arched a brow as she listened, though she understood Aryn's concerns exactly. She took a moment to collect her thoughts before responding.  =/\= "Ellis here. I think with the time that's lapsed since our return from the planet that we've likely already spread any potential contagion beyond management. But should Miller's autopsy prove inconclusive, we can discuss with Medwhical the possibility of quarantining ourselves. Keep an open channel with Alec, he's en route to Sickbay now." =/\=

The whole ship. What a nightmare. She closed the channel as the doctors beamed out.

[Bridge]

=A= Acknowledged, Captain. I'll call him, =A= Aryn said before closing the channel. Felicity was right. It was very likely that if there were a contagion, the majority of the ship would already have been infected.

She tapped her combadge again. =A= Corliss to Trenzal. =A=

[Morgue - Deck 7]

Almost as soon as the three doctors materialized in the autopsy room with the poor young ensign's body, Alec's combadge chirped and his wife's voice gave him a small boost of happiness in the sad moment.

=A= Yes, Commander? He decided to keep it professional for the moment.

Taking his cue, Aryn responded, Doctor, the captain has requested we keep an open channel while you perform the autopsy.

All right, Alec said as he went to the storage unit to pull out an autopsy kit. Put a forcefield around this room, would you? Just in case. =A= He proceeded with prepping the body for autopsy, beginning to carefully remove the clothes.

"Commander." The klingon looked up, her intense gaze searching for the XO. Then she looked at Lieutenant Commander McKinson, an accusation in her tone. "Chief. I'm getting reports of power fluctuations throughout the ship. Decks 6 and 7."

=A= Of course, =A= Aryn said, concern coloring her voice. She gestured for the shield to be raised and finally returned to the center chairs, absentmindedly sitting in her own instead of the center chair.

She'd barely finished speaking when the Klingon lieutenant called for her attention again.

Great Bird of the Galaxy, what next? Aryn muttered. Are you able to raise that force field around the autopsy room?

Offline Peter Dannenberg

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • You all have beautiful skin ...
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2020, 01:15:05 pm »
PO1 Peter Dannenberg
[USS Shran - Holodeck 2]

Kellen Gates swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down with the movement. The serious tone, the interruption of his personal time... in person, well, even he could tell that this would not be good news.

He appreciated the lack of preamble, but he could only manage a gaping stare in response, as his mind processed the shocking news. Suddenly the noise of the program was too much, and all around him the holographic characters, composed of light fluttered about without a care in the world. "Computer, end program."

James Bond's world disappeared, leaving Gatesy and Peter with the drab, grey loading area of the holodeck; suited to the suddenly somber mood. The young man's hand rubbed against his clean-shaven cheek as the implications dawned.

It wasn't until he was asked a direct question that he spoke again. "He seemed tired. I walked him into his quarters, got him a glass of water, but he only seemed interested in sleeping. He told me to leave. I shouldn't have left."

A heart attack? How was that possible? "I didn't want to miss my holodeck slot." He was appalled at himself and his chest began to tighten. "This is my fault!"

It wasn't hard to see how bad the news hit Gatesy. He watched as the young man tried to process what he just had been told. At least he seemed collected enough to answer the question.

Unfortunately, Kellen's report didn't offer anything that would promise new information. His attention was drawn back to the young doctor as he made self-accusations. "This is not your fault", Peter replied in a firm yet calm tone. He reached his hand out to grab the man's shoulder in what he hoped was a supportive manner. "This isn't easy for any of us. Nobody blames you."

Peter held his breath. It was hard enough to accept the death of a crewmate. But it was even harder to accept such a tragedy when everybody knew there was something off about it without knowing what.

His grip at Kellen's shoulder loosened at he patted it twice before pulling his hand back, letting it drop down at his side. "I hate to leave you like this now. If you need someone to talk, I'm sure counselor T'Aco would make space for you." Which also might postpone the ridiculous assessment session with Elanii. Which Peter wouldn't be too sad about. "Or try to get some distaction. Or someone who helps you with that."

He looked Kellen. "Do you prefer to stay here or leave with me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[USS Shran - Deck 7 - Morgue]

The bright white light illuminated the morgue section, making everything look pale and seemed not to allow the tristesse such a place conveyed naturally to be forgotten.

Now, as the doctors McGellen, Trenzal and Kane were gathered around the dead body of the unlucky Ensign Miller, the light panels began to flicker, as if fighting a battle of darkness and light.

In the end, darkness won. The panels gave up, the light died, computer monitors turned black - leaving everything around them in darkness, only fought weakly by some diffuse emergency lights.

Species: Human

2nd alt of Tess Moreno

Offline Jenna McKinson

• Trusted Member
  • Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2020, 02:10:46 pm »
[ Bridge ]

Jenna, though not appreciative of the tone, was appreciative of the news. "Thank you for the information Lieutenant. I will be right on that! Can you take note of when that first report came in? I like to document these things." After she spoke she shook her head. This was turning into quite the pickle. She then tapped on her combadge.

=/\=Lt Sheppard and Coks, there are power fluctuations on decks 6 and 7. I would like you to keep an eye on what's going on a redirect power to that area so it is at a constant. We will figure out what is going on, but we NEED power there. McKinson out" =/\=

She then thought of Lyric as well and tapped on her combadge.  =/\="Petty Officer McDaniels. I am informing you of power fluctuations on decks 6 and 7. If you notice any abnormalities report them to me and down to engineering. Sheppard and Coks are working on trying to keep constant power down there. I have a bad feeling about what's going on and you are eyes down there. Keep me posted. McKinson out." =/\=

"I always try to be true to who I am and just be myself."

Offline John Michael Kane

• Approved Applicants
  • Probationer
  • "I'm gonna have to Science the shit out of this."
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2020, 02:50:40 pm »
"Of course Ma'am.  Dr. Kane, have you ever witnesses an autopsy?  And so we're not all Doctor, Doctor all the time... Lawrie, Alec and??? As in what can we call you other than 'Dr. Kane' all the time?!" the CMO asked.

John's lips turned upwards at the corners in a slight smile. "It's John. John Michael Kane. And yes, I have not only seen, but performed multiple autopsies, both in medical school and during my surgical training. I'm actually a physician much like yourself, except I specialize in Surgery. I'm a fully certified General and Trauma Surgeon," he explained softly, hands clasped behind his back as he continued to stare at Miller's corpse while introducing himself to Lawrie throughout. "I later pursued a second doctorate in Xenobiology during my Starfleet Academy training, and so am serving on the Shran in Science..."

John left out the part where his name being enrolled into the Xenobiology courses at Starfleet Academy had actually been the result of a computer glitch. John had later decided to pursue the subject anyways, so, that was a moot point regardless.

Credentials explained, John heard his comm-badge beep.

[Bridge]

=A= Acknowledged, Doctor Kane, =A= Aryn said.

[Miller's Quarters --> Sickbay]

Alec nodded at the other officer in blue and said briefly, Dr. Alec Trenzal, civilian medical doctor, as well as Commander Corliss' husband.

With a small sigh, he looked down at Miller's body again. Site to site is a good idea. I also think we ought to stick to at least partial quarantine procedures - limit the people in the room and put a force field around it - just until we figure out what's going on. If we can.

"Yes, I agree," John replied simply, nodding his head. Soon enough, they were being transported to the Morgue.

"Roger that!" Lawrie said with a grim nod.  "I vote we have Grithaw, Nurse Rag, in there with us for passing things, otherwise lockdown. Kestra, I mentioned her before, Alec, is perfectly capable of handling anything else until we're back..."...

"Chief brow swabber, reporting for duty, Doc...er Docs... erm..." Grithaw looked around at the sea of blue shirts, being covered by medical gowns.

"Dr. Kane, Sciences, Dr. Trenzal, civilian doctor but with us as he's husband to our Executive Officer Commander Corliss, Doctors... this is Nurse Rag."

Lawrie considered a moment and said "Want to get your hands 'dirty', Alec?  Take lead?"

John smiled, a bit wider this time, and nodded at the extremely dedicated looking nurse. John had a soft spot for nurses anyways. While there was a misguided portion of the physician-class that deemed nurses beneath them, John had always admired the close, interactive care they provided to patients. Nurses were often closer to patients than doctors, and dealt with more of their complaints first hand, and he respected them for it greatly.

As Alec prepared the cadaver for the autopsy procedure and Lawrie prepared himself to assist, John pulled out his PADD and began to access the Morgue's controls.

"Computer, initiate partial quarantine procedures in the Morgue, Deck 7. Activate antimicrobial force field barrier, set at a 5 meter radius around the autopsy suite, and permit access only to Doctors McGellan, Trenzal, Kane, and Nurse Rag," he ordered.

=/\= <Acknowledged.> =/\=

[USS Shran - Deck 7 - Morgue]

The bright white light illuminated the morgue section, making everything look pale and seemed not to allow the tristesse such a place conveyed naturally to be forgotten.

Now, as the doctors McGellen, Trenzal and Kane were gathered around the dead body of the unlucky Ensign Miller, the light panels began to flicker, as if fighting a battle of darkness and light.

In the end, darkness won. The panels gave up, the light died, computer monitors turned black - leaving everything around them in darkness, only fought weakly by some diffuse emergency lights.

"... Hmm. Now that isn't creepy at all," John drawled out, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Computer, lights on in Morgue, Deck 7."

=/\= <... zzz... crk...!> =/\=

"... Duck."

Moving swiftly, John immediately pulled out his PADD, placing his scientific scanner on the floor beside the operating table, and activating his tricorder to get as many readings as he could, his own heart thundering against his chest and eyes narrowed, watchful.

Who knew what they were up against...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:02:50 pm by John Michael Kane »

Dr. John Michael Kane, MD FRCS PhD
Ensign, USS Shran NCC-81735-A

Offline Thomas Jett

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2020, 04:22:10 pm »

[Shuttle Bay 1] 

Jett stood there with a frown on his face as he was left with no drink in his hand.  He knew that for the trip he would have to remain sober.  He was not happy as he mentioned that he was unique, Jett chuckled and smiled and responded .   James smiled as he figured no one would recognize the reference of a big obese person that was a villain in the story that had an extremely limited part of the story.

[Shuttlebay 1]

O'Leary raised both eyebrows when Lyric suggested that their 'shubble' was a boy, because it had a periscope. She'd heard stranger things though, so she merely shrugged and seemed happy enough to go along with it. "Nemo is a good lad. I hope he keeps ye safe. With the right pilot, it shouldn't be much of a hardship." Her gaze was still sharp as she turned her attention to Jett, but she wasn't anywhere near as combative as she had been on arrival. Champagne helped her get over her lack of nap-time.

To hear that one in their company have been around at the advent of flight, and had witnessed its development, was a strange concept to wrap one's mind around. "I reckon the Doctor here would be a fine addition to have aboard the Nemo, so I do, based on centuries of experience alone. Jett here for flyin', and yerself for the fixin'," she finished with a nod toward the Engineer who had been curious as to the team's composition. "The rest will be up to the Cap."

Jett walked to Nemo

As he was in mid-sentence, he noticed that the light in the shuttble bay was flickering.  Jett looked around and noticed the change in power.  .  The former officer asked as he knew this was not normal. 

Jett then stated the obvious .  The former Officer left from the site of the Nemo and instead opened the Cosmo.  He did not want to take vital supplies from a Shuttle about to embark on a mission.  He opened and got the emergency supplies which included lights. 

Offline Dugris Zaman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Worst charades player ever
  • Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2020, 04:40:46 pm »
[Shuttlebay 1]

[Shuttle Bay 1] 

Jett stood there with a frown on his face as he was left with no drink in his hand.  He knew that for the trip he would have to remain sober.  He was not happy as he mentioned that he was unique, Jett chuckled and smiled and responded Nemo

As he was in mid-sentence, he noticed that the light in the shuttble bay was flickering.  Jett looked around and noticed the change in power.  .  The former officer asked as he knew this was not normal. 

Jett then stated the obvious .  The former Officer left from the site of the Nemo and instead opened the Cosmo.  He did not want to take vital supplies from a Shuttle about to embark on a mission.  He opened and got the emergency supplies which included lights. 

Doug nodded at the periscope comment.
"I stand corrected," he agreed, amused by it. There were some languages where all words were gendered, so they wouldn't have this flexibility, but that wasn't the case here.

Then, the lights went off.

"You know what we really need?" he asked rhetorically. "We need another of my Molotov cocktails."

It had been a legitimate application of the Scientific Method. It was just a failed experiment.

Offline Aryn Corliss

• Trusted Member
  • Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2020, 09:10:37 am »

"Roger that!" Lawrie said with a grim nod.  "I vote we have Grithaw, Nurse Rag,  in there with us for passing things, otherwise lockdown.  Kestra, I mentioned her before, Alec, is perfectly capable of handling anything else until we're back and if a fully qualified doctor is needed, well, Gatesy, even saddened and shocked by this news, would step up, of that I'm certain."

The beam took them and deposited them in Room 4, which Kestra had prepped as far as she could for 'standard' autopsy.

=/\=McGellen to Rag, report to Room 4 please. =/\=

The doctor heard the 2 clicks of a tap on Grithaw's commbadge as it was quicker to do that and appear, than it was answering.

The said nurse appeared, ready gowned up and masked, having been intercepted by Kestra who had quietly said that it was for an autopsy. 

John's lips turned upwards at the corners in a slight smile. "It's John. John Michael Kane. And yes, I have not only seen, but performed multiple autopsies, both in medical school and during my surgical training. I'm actually a physician much like yourself, except I specialize in Surgery. I'm a fully certified General and Trauma Surgeon," he explained softly, hands clasped behind his back as he continued to stare at Miller's corpse while introducing himself to Lawrie throughout. "I later pursued a second doctorate in Xenobiology during my Starfleet Academy training, and so am serving on the Shran in Science..."

John left out the part where his name being enrolled into the Xenobiology courses at Starfleet Academy had actually been the result of a computer glitch. John had later decided to pursue the subject anyways, so, that was a moot point regardless.

Credentials explained, John heard his comm-badge beep.

"Yes, I agree," John replied simply, nodding his head. Soon enough, they were being transported to the Morgue.

John smiled, a bit wider this time, and nodded at the extremely dedicated looking nurse. John had a soft spot for nurses anyways. While there was a misguided portion of the physician-class that deemed nurses beneath them, John had always admired the close, interactive care they provided to patients. Nurses were often closer to patients than doctors, and dealt with more of their complaints first hand, and he respected them for it greatly.

As Alec prepared the cadaver for the autopsy procedure and Lawrie prepared himself to assist, John pulled out his PADD and began to access the Morgue's controls.

"Computer, initiate partial quarantine procedures in the Morgue, Deck 7. Activate antimicrobial force field barrier, set at a 5 meter radius around the autopsy suite, and permit access only to Doctors McGellan, Trenzal, Kane, and Nurse Rag," he ordered.

=/\= <Acknowledged.> =/\=

"... Hmm. Now that isn't creepy at all," John drawled out, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Computer, lights on in Morgue, Deck 7."

=/\= <... zzz... crk...!> =/\=

"... Duck."

Moving swiftly, John immediately pulled out his PADD, placing his scientific scanner on the floor beside the operating table, and activating his tricorder to get as many readings as he could, his own heart thundering against his chest and eyes narrowed, watchful.

Who knew what they were up against...

[Morgue]

Alec nodded politely upon being introduced to the nurse and shrugged at Lawrie's offer of taking the lead. It's actually been more than ten years since I did an autopsy, so I'm more than happy to let one of you take charge.

They were nearly ready to begin when the power suddenly went out. Alec froze for a moment, but the room was utterly black.

Umm, perhaps we should clear out until this gets sorted, he suggested. Computer, erect a stasis field around the biobed. Alec hoped not all the power was down.

There was a brief flare of light that cast everything with an eerie glow before disappearing.

Alec started toward the door, moving slowly in the pitch black, saying for the Bridge's benefit, =A= We've lost lights in the morgue. Going to have to put off the autopsy for now.

Acknowledged, =A= Aryn's worried voice responded.

Offline Felicity Ellis

• Veteran Member
  • Cap'n Mum
  • Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player with the best application.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2020, 11:53:11 am »
PO1 Peter Dannenberg
[USS Shran - Holodeck 2]

It wasn't hard to see how bad the news hit Gatesy. He watched as the young man tried to process what he just had been told. At least he seemed collected enough to answer the question.

Unfortunately, Kellen's report didn't offer anything that would promise new information. His attention was drawn back to the young doctor as he made self-accusations. "This is not your fault", Peter replied in a firm yet calm tone. He reached his hand out to grab the man's shoulder in what he hoped was a supportive manner. "This isn't easy for any of us. Nobody blames you."

Peter held his breath. It was hard enough to accept the death of a crewmate. But it was even harder to accept such a tragedy when everybody knew there was something off about it without knowing what.

His grip at Kellen's shoulder loosened at he patted it twice before pulling his hand back, letting it drop down at his side. "I hate to leave you like this now. If you need someone to talk, I'm sure counselor T'Aco would make space for you." Which also might postpone the ridiculous assessment session with Elanii. Which Peter wouldn't be too sad about. "Or try to get some distaction. Or someone who helps you with that."

He looked Kellen. "Do you prefer to stay here or leave with me?"

He didn't believe Peter. Kellen knew that he was trying to help, and that it was probably what he would say himself if the roles were reversed. It was even logical, but he knew the truth. He knew he should have stayed, he might have stayed had he not made personal plans. That's what made it feel so much worse. Miller had been alone.

When T'Aco was mentioned, or talking to someone, Kellen Gates shook his head. He actually got along well enough with the counselor; they in fact enjoyed quite a cordial, professional relationship. But people generally didn't ever help him feel better, more often it was the opposite.

"I'll just... I'll just leave." He seemed unsure at first, and then eventually a little more certain as he decided on his next course of action. "I should go to Sickbay. Explain myself to the others. See him. For myself."

Not normally a very emotional person by nature, Kellen was very much struggling. His eyes had a far away look about them, his face pale and expression lax. But he nodded at Fabio and began to move toward the exit. "Thank you, Peter."

[Lieutenant T'Aco & Elanii of Veloria - En Route to Mess Hall]

The Vulcan counselor and the little girl walked side by side down the corridor, the latter's smaller legs working double-time to keep up. Elanii reached upwards with her four fingers, looking to take a hold of the woman's hand. At the sensation of the light touch, T'Aco turned her head to look down at the source, her brow arched just slightly, her expression and the set of her mouth suggesting disapproval.

She pulled her hand away. "Elanii, it would not be appropriate to foster any kind of familiarity or reliance before your testing has been completed to a satisfactory standard."

Elanii's little face reflected her disappointment; even a flicker of hurt. A pair of eyes looked straight ahead, while another gazed up at the very cross lady who made too many words. "Where is Facility? You said Facility would be with us." She looked at T'Aco, feeling a little suspicious suddenly.

"Captain Ellis has said she will join us in the Mess Hall. I have no reason to believe she will not."

"Good. We can have ice-cream," Elanii informed her with certainty, already forgetting her previous misgivings.

T'Aco glanced down to meet two of the girl's eyes, her chin raised in her usual manner. "We will not have time for ice-cream."

"Facility says there is always time for ice-cream." Elanii glared up at the Vulcan, as though challenging her to argue further.

Of course T'Aco would have, had the panels of light along the tops of the corridors not begun to flicker, then fade. This time, she kept a hold of the little girl's hand.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'
Bio: Felicity Ellis

Offline Peter Dannenberg

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • You all have beautiful skin ...
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2020, 10:25:38 am »
PO1 Peter Dannenberg
[USS Shran - Holodeck 2]

He didn't believe Peter. Kellen knew that he was trying to help, and that it was probably what he would say himself if the roles were reversed. It was even logical, but he knew the truth. He knew he should have stayed, he might have stayed had he not made personal plans. That's what made it feel so much worse. Miller had been alone.

When T'Aco was mentioned, or talking to someone, Kellen Gates shook his head. He actually got along well enough with the counselor; they in fact enjoyed quite a cordial, professional relationship. But people generally didn't ever help him feel better, more often it was the opposite.

"I'll just... I'll just leave." He seemed unsure at first, and then eventually a little more certain as he decided on his next course of action. "I should go to Sickbay. Explain myself to the others. See him. For myself."

Not normally a very emotional person by nature, Kellen was very much struggling. His eyes had a far away look about them, his face pale and expression lax. But he nodded at Fabio and began to move toward the exit. "Thank you, Peter."

Peter watched Kellen, but he knew nothing he said would make him feel less miserable. When he voiced his intention to go and have a look on Miller's body, Peter nodded. "I believe the doctors are just about to do an autopsy on him", he informed him. Whatever that information would do with Kellen's decision.

When Gatesy moved to the exit, Peter followed him out and stopped on the corridor. "No need to thank me. Take care of yourself." He nodded to him once and then turned away to go the other direction. He would have accompanied Kellen, but Peter believed that he wanted to be left alone for now.

When he was sure he walked far enough that Kellen was out of ear shot, Peter tapped his comm badge.  =/\= "Dannenberg to Captain Ellis. I've spoken to Kellen. He's devastated, but he'll get over it." He glanced on the chronometer. "I'll check if there are any security issues and then will join you in the meeting with Elanii if I can." =/\=

[USS Shran - Deck7 - Morgue]

Whether it was coincidence or a higher power that had let this corner of the ship sink into darkness, no one could say. Whatever it was, it allowed the subtle movement to remain hidden - Miller opened his eyes.

He sat up, the movements were slow, cautious. Like a fawn that first had to learn to use its limbs. Miller slipped out of bed and navigated in the darkness to the door, which opened with a hydraulic hiss.

[USS Shran - Deck 7 - Side corridor]

In front of him was the corridor in darkness, only dimly lit by the emergency lighting. Miller began stalking down the corridor, the movements looking a little awkward, but gained in safety with every step he took. He took the first turnoff into a side corridor. Upwards he had to go. Two decks.

His uneven steps echoed softly in the passage. In the distance of the side corridor he recognized the shadows of two people. As he appraoched them in the diffuse light, he recognized that both had other external features. New knowledge he had to collect.

Slowing down his steps he stopped in front of the pointy-eared creature. For a moment he just looked at her, observed her appearance. Then his hand stretched out and he grabbed her wrist with an iron grip. Almost immediately he strengthened the grip and bored his fingernails deep into her flesh. Whatever sounds of pain or defensive reactions she would make, Miller wouldn't stop. With the aim of seeing blood, he cut the edges of his sharp nails into the delicate skin on her wrist. As he did so, a whitish to translucent mass began to ooze from his ear. In the air, it liquefied quickly and dripped wet down his earlobe. Still not releasing his grip on his victim, he lifted his other hand to his ear to pick up some of the gelatinous mass. Once he had penetrated her skin, he smeared lumps of the mass deep into the wound. Suddenly there was bluish flickering coming from Miller. As if there was something pulsating under his skin or in his head. The eyeballs in particular, illuminated by this strange phenomenon, glowed repeatedly while he held the palm of his hand pressed against the wound on her wrist.

Suddenly he let go of her. Turning away from her, he looked down at Elanii ...

[USS Shran - Bridge]

The consoles began to ping and lighting up with alarms when the sensors picked up another energy burst coming from deck 7, near sickbay and the morgue ...

Species: Human

2nd alt of Tess Moreno

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles