Author Topic: Season 14, Episode 5: The First Frontier  (Read 37156 times)

Offline Danjar-Torra Addams

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Authorization: Tango Delta Two Three Three Five
  • Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Three year award Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Season 14, Episode 5: The First Frontier
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2021, 03:33:11 am »
Ensign Danjar-Torra Addams
[Southeast of Paradise, Arizona Territory - Mine Infiltration Team]

[Lieutenant JG Savar | Infiltration Team | Benamite Mine | Southeast of Paradise | Arizona Territory | Earth | 1899]

"Impressive work, Torra," he complimented. "You certainly know how to use it."

He then noticed Lek was concentrating. He remembered that Ferengi hearing was very acute. There was only one conclusion to his behavior: He could find the inhibitor, and he didn't need any sensors to find it. All he had to do was follow the noise. As such, it made Lek even more the most important member of the team, not just for his engineering skills.

"I got your back, Lieutenant," said Savar in a very low voice, but nonetheless filled with support. He followed Lek deeper into the mine, covering his back.

Torra glanced towards the Vulcan Lieutenant briefly, nodding in appreciation of his praise.   For a people who were considered slow and sedate, Torra had always picked up new skills quickly and with relative ease.   Gunmanship was no exception it seemed.

Hearing that Savar would remain with her and Lek, Torra felt better – more secure that even if she fell that the goal would be reached.

In the mines....

The whine of the device echoed slightly, but Lek's hearing would find a path going... right to the side of the main shaft.  It was clearly coming from the other side of the wall, and the footfalls in front indicated footsteps that just continued right into it.  A shimmer in the corners of the wall gave away the truth; it was an image.  A hologram.  And luckily for them, not a secured hologram. 

Stepping inside felt like a jump from the 19th century to the modern day.  Computer terminals, readouts, what looked like a monitoring of timelines maybe?  And of course, terminals and displayed that seemed to have no meaning to them.  In the middle of the room there was a large, grey, cylindrical device with readouts and panels.   This is where the high pitch whine was coming from.  They found the device.

Lek’s directions led them to what at first appeared to be a dead-end until a closer examination of footprints on the dirt mine floor  had them leading right on through the wall. 

Torra was the first to breach the hologram.   Ready to defend Lek if there were attackers on the other side.   Thankfully there were none.    From here on in it was up to Lek -  though Torra did stand at his side and look over the device as well hoping to help figure it out. 

[Inhibitor Room - Abandoned Mine - Southeast of Paradise, AZ]

On stepping through the holograph, Lek smiled and said.

"Now, we are in my world regardless of what that stuck up Hyoomon A'ron may think of my primitive technological skills."

Lek moved to the console and began studying it before he would deactivate the inhibitor, which he was certain he could do. It would just take a bit of time.

"Even if I just find a fragile bit and hit it with a rock, I'm going to deactivate this thing."

He growled and began studying the technology intently.

”Such an abrupt cancellation could cause problems.  I feel that it needs to be shut down properly in stages to avoid mental trauma to the people it is affecting.”

NPC Crewman Helga Tragnar
[Paradise, Arizona Territory - Distraction Team]

In the town....

The sound of the train horn in the distance alerted A'Ron and the others that the train had indeed taken off from the station.  The agent cursed himself, and only then noticed that no one here fighting them was recognized by the crew.  That meant only one thing.

"Commander!" he shouted in T'Lara's direction... and probably within earshot of the others.  "We have to stop that train!  I think your Captain is on it!" he yelled, hoping to get them to spring to action.  "I'll keep the Sheriff occupied; you guys need to catch it before it gets up to speed!" he yelled, just as he turned the street and saw the big man himself.  The Sheriff.  The future man jumped off his horse right when a flash of light streaked passed him.  It seems the Sheriff wasn't completely concerned with what his weapons looked like.  Or he was able to explain away his gun.  Meaning that the Sheriff wasn't just some member of the War...he was a leader of his group.  Of course he was.  Pulling out his ancient gun, the man shook his head and then reached around to fire... to keep the alien occupied.

Her shouted battle cry coupled with her nudge to the horse’s sides, did the trick to urge the beast into even faster speed.  For the moment, she was catching up to the train.  Though she wondered for how long the animal could keep up this pace?   Somehow she needed to get aboard that train to get it to stop. 

Steam trains were not common on Earth or elsewhere in the Federation any more, so Helga had no real experience with them but she had sat through her fair share of action movies with the rest of Challenger’s security department to recognize the most common means of boarding a moving train.   

As she caught up, Helga tried to urge her horse closer to tracks and train car.   She’d have to jump across .
Danjar-Torra's Bio - Grazerite female 6'6' (1.98m) - Alt of ShranLahr ch'Verret

Offline Luby Wentock

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • "Damn it, man, I'm a doctor, not a technician..."
  • Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2021, 07:17:38 am »
[Paradise train. AZ in route to D.C]

Don held the Bible like it was a shield. Boy. Now I recall why he had left his wife. She talked to much. A trait women to well.

“Look, I don’t claim to be scholar with the Bible. I was able to keep this book here which is Holy. I only know what I know. I never believe in Gods or Jesus. I never imagine worshipping something that is not here with us. Last time I look I never seen tall statues of other in Gods. I saw crosses, a Buddha and some other symbols. But never statues of gods. I saw there was idols in here this Bible. But not sure what it means. Very hard to understand,” he shared.

“Why don’t you play your game. Just not strip poker. My son is here and I do not care to be part of it,” he sighed.

“And thank you dropping the topic,” he told her.

[Rec Car | Bennyrock Train | Gradually Leaving Paradise | Arizona Territory | 1899]

Luby gave Don a look of mock indignation.

"Strip Poker?!  Now if I were truly a lady I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about but I'm a schoolteacher with a brain and I know the words, and what they might imply when placed together.  Trust me, I don't intend removing more than my hat and my gloves, Sir... whether or not young Alex is in the vicinity or not, prior to me retiring to bed, and the only person who might see me in my shift would be Najwa!  And then only because it's a lot easier removing corsets with assistance!"

She gave a look to the men, blushing slightly.  "You'll have to take my word for that!"

She decided to leave the topic of religion since she could see it dissolving to an argument.

On the train....

Nevill chuckled as he broke the cards and shuffled, though he had to admit his game with the pretty ladies was ruined slightly with the Adams boy with them.  And of course, leave it to the father to make sure any adult fun was canned.  He did stop though, when the subject of his own wife and children were brought up.  Nevill had a strange, curious look on his face.  He didn't have a wife or kids; he was purely here for fun... right?  Did he meet someone?  A native maybe?  Raven?  No, that didn't sound right.. that didn't sound like him.

"I... I don't got no... " he started in reply, but it was making his head heard a bit.  That was weird.  "Ain't no wife and kid here.  Just me... its been me for a long while.  Thought you would have understood that; I thought I had a reputation." he said, looking up.  Yeah.. a reputation.  Card shark, rich man, ladies man.  Hell he had some memories of... no... wait.. did that even happen?  He caught himself staring at Nira, and shook his head.

"Just a standard round of cards... something new I've heard coming out of New Orleans.  Pull up a seat, Alex, lemme show you how its done." he said, shaking his head to clear it, as he started to deal some cards out.  "Y'all get two cards each, keep 'em face down for now.  The point of the play is to either bluff or bash your way through the other players.  Those two cards are your hand, and they will be what will win or lose you the game.  The dealer is then going to...." he started, explaining the rules as he get the game started.

Luby put on her 'concentrating' face as Nevill started explaining the rules of the game. She leaned a little closer to him, as if for some underlying protection from Don's words.

"You're fine, Sir.  We know you have a reputation of being rather good with cards, which..."

She took off her gloves and laid one delicately placed hand on Nevill's arm, fluttering her eyelashes once again.  "...is why we are so lucky to have you to teach us how to play.  Now these two cards, I understand they are face value so picture cards are good?? Are aces high or low or both and... is one suit better than another?  I ask because it is so in some other card games it's so difficult to keep track of what is good and desirable and what you want to discard in all the games!"

It was all designed to keep him distracted enough to not want to go off and get himself injured or killed in the pursuit of adventure and joining the Cavalry or something equally 'stupid'.  Although she admitted to herself, he was an attractive man who was in want of a wife!

[Najwa/Nira (?) Said | Rec Car | Bennyrock Train | Paradise | Arizona Territory | 1899]

Najwa smiled at Lu. Seems she liked to talk on. Just like how she did...and necessary it was...people didn't like it when she got into other peoples' heads...she learned that as a child...and...

Najwa shook it aside. There was a game to play. And she was interested to see Don's son joining in. As much as Najwa would've liked to be smitten with him - and she also regarded Don as a friend and somewhat uncle - she knew her feelings were to her dream elf (if he even existed), and besides, there was a familiarity she had...a craft named Athena...

And there was something about the way Nevill stared at her. "No wife and kid here?" Well, not here, anyway, Nira thought to herself.

As Nevill explained how it went, Nira found herself liking the game more. It wasn't just going to be intriguing with it's unpredictability, it's a way to practice the odd strategy, like chess. Of course, she aimed to keep her psychic skills to herself; reading thoughts in a game would be cheating.

She held on to his words, wondering who will deal...

"What say we try to beat the men, Najwa?! Win with our cool intellect and prove our brains and cunning are just as good as any mans!"

Offline Tekin Nevir

• Honoured Member
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Three year award Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2021, 08:50:47 am »

On stepping through the holograph, Lek smiled and said.

"Now, we are in my world regardless of what that stuck up Hyoomon A'ron may think of my primitive technological skills."

Lek moved to the console and began studying it before he would deactivate the inhibitor, which he was certain he could do. It would just take a bit of time.

"Even if I just find a fragile bit and hit it with a rock, I'm going to deactivate this thing."

He growled and began studying the technology intently.

[Mine Shaft - Paradise, AZ]

The device seemed to shimmer as Lek approached.  Not in the sense of a hologram, but like the very cells of the device shifted.  What was first showing an alien language slowly started to make sense as Lek got closer, as he found the readouts shifting to his own language.  Once Lek reached it, and the panels self translated, it was clear what this device was doing.  The words "Temporal Scrambler" were seen, and the readout listing 'Temporal Coordinates' was showing a continuously changing set of numbers. 

One of the other screens had the word 'Discovery' on it, and touching that panel would reveal schematics on their missing ship.  It seemed the Discovery's ship controls were locked out and remoted through the inhibiting device.  As more words translated before Lek's eyes, he could see the status of Discovery.  She was in orbit around the Moon, on a low power mode, but it looked like life support had been fully restored.  Another interesting message was showing under the hull status.  'Exterior matter program - Complete'.

It seemed the way to safely disable the device would be through the use of 3D virtual controls, and the device had to be set to the correct temporal coordinates to ensure the town itself didn't get ripped out of time.  In essence, the device was holding the entire town of Paradise in a semi-phased state.  It was still in its own time, but the phased state meant it was hidden from temporal sensors.  Suddenly the jab that A'Ron gave Lek, about knowing temporal coordinate, made some sense.  A'Ron was still an asshole, certainly, but at least his words weren't nonsense. 

Within a few minutes, a disruptor flash streaked passed the infiltration team, and there were some of the scaled aliens fighting with more... modern weapons.  Perhaps it was a good thing that the infiltration team was given the phasers they still had.  Or maybe there was another more modern weapon nearby.

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: April 06, 2021, 10:29:20 am »

Torra glanced towards the Vulcan Lieutenant briefly, nodding in appreciation of his praise.   For a people who were considered slow and sedate, Torra had always picked up new skills quickly and with relative ease.   Gunmanship was no exception it seemed.

Hearing that Savar would remain with her and Lek, Torra felt better – more secure that even if she fell that the goal would be reached.

Lek’s directions led them to what at first appeared to be a dead-end until a closer examination of footprints on the dirt mine floor  had them leading right on through the wall. 

Torra was the first to breach the hologram.   Ready to defend Lek if there were attackers on the other side.   Thankfully there were none.    From here on in it was up to Lek -  though Torra did stand at his side and look over the device as well hoping to help figure it out. 

”Such an abrupt cancellation could cause problems.  I feel that it needs to be shut down properly in stages to avoid mental trauma to the people it is affecting.”

Lek eyed Torra with confusion and asked.

"How do you come to that conclusion? A'ron implied this device equivalent to a temporal cloaking device and doesn't have anything to do with the mind control of the T'hunga. I got the impression that was a mental discipline or telepathic ability."

Turning back to the console, initially the language displayed was nothing Lek knew and he was prepared to start studying the device itself to find its weakest point. However, after just a minute of looking at the console, the language began to translate itself into Standard, which Lek had to admit was an impressive bit of technology.

As he read, he frowned as he recalled A'ron's words about 'temporal coordinates' began to make more sense, but now he began to fear he might not actually know how to shut the thing down. He stared at the 3D display intently and concentrated on the temporal scrambler. He might not know the precise coordinates of how to take Paradise out of its phased state, but it stood to reason that if he could get the scrambler to shut down. A'ron would know how to figure out the rest.

It was at that moment the whine of the disruptor interrupted Lek's thoughts and forced him to dive for cover. As he did, he shouted.

"You've got to hold them off as long as you can so I can figure this thing out!"
Alt of Ian Galloway

Offline Nira Said

• Command Level Officer
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded by the FCO to the executive officer who performs best. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2021, 11:28:13 am »

The device seemed to shimmer as Lek approached.  Not in the sense of a hologram, but like the very cells of the device shifted.  What was first showing an alien language slowly started to make sense as Lek got closer, as he found the readouts shifting to his own language.  Once Lek reached it, and the panels self translated, it was clear what this device was doing.  The words "Temporal Scrambler" were seen, and the readout listing 'Temporal Coordinates' was showing a continuously changing set of numbers. 

One of the other screens had the word 'Discovery' on it, and touching that panel would reveal schematics on their missing ship.  It seemed the Discovery's ship controls were locked out and remoted through the inhibiting device.  As more words translated before Lek's eyes, he could see the status of Discovery.  She was in orbit around the Moon, on a low power mode, but it looked like life support had been fully restored.  Another interesting message was showing under the hull status.  'Exterior matter program - Complete'.

It seemed the way to safely disable the device would be through the use of 3D virtual controls, and the device had to be set to the correct temporal coordinates to ensure the town itself didn't get ripped out of time.  In essence, the device was holding the entire town of Paradise in a semi-phased state.  It was still in its own time, but the phased state meant it was hidden from temporal sensors.  Suddenly the jab that A'Ron gave Lek, about knowing temporal coordinate, made some sense.  A'Ron was still an asshole, certainly, but at least his words weren't nonsense. 

Within a few minutes, a disruptor flash streaked passed the infiltration team, and there were some of the scaled aliens fighting with more... modern weapons.  Perhaps it was a good thing that the infiltration team was given the phasers they still had.  Or maybe there was another more modern weapon nearby.

Lek eyed Torra with confusion and asked.

"How do you come to that conclusion? A'ron implied this device equivalent to a temporal cloaking device and doesn't have anything to do with the mind control of the T'hunga. I got the impression that was a mental discipline or telepathic ability."

Turning back to the console, initially the language displayed was nothing Lek knew and he was prepared to start studying the device itself to find its weakest point. However, after just a minute of looking at the console, the language began to translate itself into Standard, which Lek had to admit was an impressive bit of technology.

As he read, he frowned as he recalled A'ron's words about 'temporal coordinates' began to make more sense, but now he began to fear he might not actually know how to shut the thing down. He stared at the 3D display intently and concentrated on the temporal scrambler. He might not know the precise coordinates of how to take Paradise out of its phased state, but it stood to reason that if he could get the scrambler to shut down. A'ron would know how to figure out the rest.

It was at that moment the whine of the disruptor interrupted Lek's thoughts and forced him to dive for cover. As he did, he shouted.

"You've got to hold them off as long as you can so I can figure this thing out!"
[Lieutenant JG Savar | Inhibitor Chamber | Benamite Mine | Arizona Territory | Earth | 1899]

Savar gazed at the device a moment, especially at the displays depicting Discovery. He had expected it to be laying in a crater on the Moon, not in orbit of the Moon. Let alone fully repaired. He wondered if some automated system was repairing it.  Or perhaps the T'hunga have control of the ship, too. He hated the idea of it. Bad enough Nira and the Captain were under their control. The ship in their hands was too disturbing to consider.

When Torra expressed concern that an abrupt shutdown would cause as much mental trauma as their fail safes, Savar had to turn slowly at her and stare at her, perturbed.

"I'm with Lieutenant Lek on this one, Torra," said Savar. "No, the mind control is more natural from the T'hunga. Remember what A'ron said about their biology?"

A disruptor bolt blasting past made Savar whirled around and he saw more T'hunga approaching. With apparent disruptors. Grateful he had a phaser on hand, Savar approached them to lay down fire. He looked back briefly, wondering if Torra will help Lek with the inhibitor or, more likely, since it looked like Torra knew how to use weapons, that he would help Savar.

"I got your back, Lieutenant," he said. He proceeded to fire at the T'hunga. Though if worse came to worse, he would engage them in hand to hand combat. He had the impression these people would be inordinately strong. But as a Vulcan, Savar had strength to potentially match them. The odds would be even, especially if he was facing more than one.
Acting Captain of the USS Revenant
Betazoid
"Reading the mind can be like reading a book at times. Sometimes it is a lot more preferable to skim the pages, but one needs to immerse himself or herself totally into it to discover the truth, if necessary."
NPC: Savar

Offline Tekin Nevir

• Honoured Member
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Three year award Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2021, 04:43:36 pm »

Her shouted battle cry coupled with her nudge to the horse’s sides, did the trick to urge the beast into even faster speed.  For the moment, she was catching up to the train.  Though she wondered for how long the animal could keep up this pace?   Somehow she needed to get aboard that train to get it to stop. 

Steam trains were not common on Earth or elsewhere in the Federation any more, so Helga had no real experience with them but she had sat through her fair share of action movies with the rest of Challenger’s security department to recognize the most common means of boarding a moving train.   

As she caught up, Helga tried to urge her horse closer to tracks and train car.   She’d have to jump across .

[Steam Train - Outside Paradise, AZ]

Flanked with other security officers, and medical personnel, a total of four other crewmates plus the first officer were riding along side the train.  Taking the cue from Helga, they started jumping onto the train.  4 of them, at least.  The forth crewman wasn't fast enough and as the train picked up speed it became impossible to keep up.  The 24th century sharship crewmen acting like 19th century train robbers.   

There was just a single car between the caboose and the gaming car, so there wouldn't be too much time between entering the train and reaching the away team.  Nevill stopped his teaching, his hand frozen in mid draw, as he swirled his head towards the back of the train.  Something didn't feel right, there were extra sounds then there should have been. 

He dropped the cards onto the table and reached down to pull out a revolver.  Signaling to the other two to be silent, he walked slowly to the back of the car, and pulled back a curtain.  At first he saw nothing, until he spotted horses in the distance... without riders.  That meant only one thing. 

"We have company.  Our enemies are here." he said in low voice, pulling back the hammer on the revolver, and waiting to see who would show up.  As soon as someone came within view, he planned to swing the door open and start shooting.

Offline Nira Said

• Command Level Officer
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded by the FCO to the executive officer who performs best. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: April 06, 2021, 06:18:28 pm »

Flanked with other security officers, and medical personnel, a total of four other crewmates plus the first officer were riding along side the train.  Taking the cue from Helga, they started jumping onto the train.  4 of them, at least.  The forth crewman wasn't fast enough and as the train picked up speed it became impossible to keep up.  The 24th century sharship crewmen acting like 19th century train robbers.   

There was just a single car between the caboose and the gaming car, so there wouldn't be too much time between entering the train and reaching the away team.  Nevill stopped his teaching, his hand frozen in mid draw, as he swirled his head towards the back of the train.  Something didn't feel right, there were extra sounds then there should have been. 

He dropped the cards onto the table and reached down to pull out a revolver.  Signaling to the other two to be silent, he walked slowly to the back of the car, and pulled back a curtain.  At first he saw nothing, until he spotted horses in the distance... without riders.  That meant only one thing. 

"We have company.  Our enemies are here." he said in low voice, pulling back the hammer on the revolver, and waiting to see who would show up.  As soon as someone came within view, he planned to swing the door open and start shooting.
[Najwa/Nira (?) Said | Rec Car | Bennyrock Train | En Route to Washington | Arizona Territory | 1899]

Najwa watched attentively as Nevill was teaching cards to her, Lu and Alexander. She reacted to the unusual noise just as The Nose did. She whirled in the direction of the noise so fast, any faster reflex would've resulted in whiplash. She followed the direction Nevill looked...to the back of the train.

Her suspicions were aroused once again. Her eyes narrowed at the direction. She balled her fists, ready to jump into action. She had no weapon on her, not even if she broke a bottle and used the neck end of it as an improvised dagger (with multiple points that are just as deadly as one). She probably wouldn't need it; she remembered some forms of combat, some of them dancelike, and she'd be downright dangerous...though she won't hesitate to smash a bottle and use the neck end like her old dagger if it came in a pinch.

She nodded at Nevill's gesture of silence and watched him as he made his way back and pulled back the curtains. She rose and followed silently after him and was about to ask him what he saw when she saw the horses. The view was obscured by the whole of The Nose, but she could see them. Horses. Without riders. That could only mean...

...intruders. More than intruders, the way Nevill talked.

Perhaps the same gang that attacked them on the stage and forced them to go on Shank's Mare, as the Paradise locals called it (Najwa only remembered that expression because one of the saloon girls mentioned it: "Ya poor dear, goin' on Shank's Mare all the way from the middle o' nowhere"). They must've been getting ambitious to try to rob a train. Let alone this train.

Najwa subtly and slowly got one of the whiskey bottles and held it in a way to use it as a club, at least until it breaks, after which she'll use whatever she has left in her hand as a knife. She stood next to The Nose, with the instinctive intent of defending him. She wished she had a gun with her, but this will suffice.

"I got your back, Nevill, my captain," Najwa said, very quietly, a low whisper, but nonetheless determined. "They get past your gun, they'll have to deal with our hands and whatever's in them."

She figured, of course, that in close combat, the revolver would be better suited as a club.
Betazoid
"Reading the mind can be like reading a book at times. Sometimes it is a lot more preferable to skim the pages, but one needs to immerse himself or herself totally into it to discover the truth, if necessary."

Offline Don Damien Addams

• Approved Applicants
  • Honoured Member
  • Test
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: April 07, 2021, 02:02:57 am »
[Paradise train - onward to Washington DC still Arizona]

Don leaped up as he heard the commotion. They indeed were being robbed.

Again?

"Son quick get back up front," he told his son.

"I fear no evil," he said calm and cool. He had to grab the Bible. Some how it became personal shield to him. He pushed it to Alex to hold because he was his son.

Strange that he had his gun still in the holster. The Sheriff never took it, the deputies had not taken it. The father figure had never touched it in jail cell because he figured he would lose and they were out match.

There was no thought on how he had his gun after those robbers. That common sense never came to him. That would been perfect evidence against him and his son. The story being robbed and coming from Boston had clear evidence. Why would robbers let the victim keep their shooters?

However it was never used against them. Sheriff knew. He had not gave it a second thought, but the Sheriff wanted them to tell them how they got here. That was the trick. Story where they came from became Don and the others reality of now.

He went to join the others as he had his gun out. "Alex behind me and ladies. Let Niver or Nive--nevel--er never mind. We will handle it!" The mix of names was effecting him from what the ladies was calling the Nose.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:09:03 am by Don Damien Addams »

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: April 07, 2021, 10:59:47 am »
[Lieutenant JG Savar | Inhibitor Chamber | Benamite Mine | Arizona Territory | Earth | 1899]

Savar gazed at the device a moment, especially at the displays depicting Discovery. He had expected it to be laying in a crater on the Moon, not in orbit of the Moon. Let alone fully repaired. He wondered if some automated system was repairing it.  Or perhaps the T'hunga have control of the ship, too. He hated the idea of it. Bad enough Nira and the Captain were under their control. The ship in their hands was too disturbing to consider.

When Torra expressed concern that an abrupt shutdown would cause as much mental trauma as their fail safes, Savar had to turn slowly at her and stare at her, perturbed.

"I'm with Lieutenant Lek on this one, Torra," said Savar. "No, the mind control is more natural from the T'hunga. Remember what A'ron said about their biology?"

A disruptor bolt blasting past made Savar whirled around and he saw more T'hunga approaching. With apparent disruptors. Grateful he had a phaser on hand, Savar approached them to lay down fire. He looked back briefly, wondering if Torra will help Lek with the inhibitor or, more likely, since it looked like Torra knew how to use weapons, that he would help Savar.

"I got your back, Lieutenant," he said. He proceeded to fire at the T'hunga. Though if worse came to worse, he would engage them in hand to hand combat. He had the impression these people would be inordinately strong. But as a Vulcan, Savar had strength to potentially match them. The odds would be even, especially if he was facing more than one.

[Inhibitor Chamber - Abandoned Mine - Southeast of Paradise, Arizona Territory]

Lek nodded at the Vulcan and peeked out from behind his cover, moved next to the console, and began trying to figure out how to shut down the temporal scrambler.

"I have never seen technology like this, so I'm going to have make at least one assumption. If something operates on one frequency, then the opposite frequency should interfere with the primary operation."

It was strange to work in 3D, but he got the hang of it quickly enough despite all the noise from the shooting. Too many people were counting on him to allow something as trivial as getting killed distract him.

After one of the longest minutes of his life, Lek believed he had figured out how to input a conflicting 'frequency' for lack of a better term because this was technology that was far in advance of anything he'd ever seen before.

"Okay, here goes everything."

He whispered and initiated the counter input and dearly hoped it would shut down the scrambler
Alt of Ian Galloway

Offline Danjar-Torra Addams

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Authorization: Tango Delta Two Three Three Five
  • Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Three year award Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: April 07, 2021, 02:33:18 pm »

At Lek's and then Savar's correction about the function of the device, Torra looked a bit sheepish, dipping her head apologetically.  She'd been so lost and confused on everything, that the few bits of information that she'd been told she'd somehow mixed up together.   She quietly apologized for the confusion and then stood back to keep watch.  Good thing too for the fight wasn’t quite over.   

A disruptor bolt blasting past made Savar whirled around and he saw more T'hunga approaching. With apparent disruptors. Grateful he had a phaser on hand, Savar approached them to lay down fire. He looked back briefly, wondering if Torra will help Lek with the inhibitor or, more likely, since it looked like Torra knew how to use weapons, that she would help Savar.

While Savar had Lek’s back, Torra had the Savar’s.   She placed herself in position assist the Vulcan officer.  The use of disruptor’s and the lack of any mine workers meant that she could fire back with her borrowed phaser without fear of mental trauma for any innocents. 

Flanked with other security officers, and medical personnel, a total of four other crewmates plus the first officer were riding along side the train.  Taking the cue from Helga, they started jumping onto the train.  4 of them, at least.  The forth crewman wasn't fast enough and as the train picked up speed it became impossible to keep up.  The 24th century starship crewmen acting like 19th century train robbers.

[Najwa/Nira (?) Said | Rec Car | Bennyrock Train | En Route to Washington | Arizona Territory | 1899]
Najwa subtly and slowly got one of the whiskey bottles and held it in a way to use it as a club, at least until it breaks, after which she'll use whatever she has left in her hand as a knife. She stood next to The Nose, with the instinctive intent of defending him. She wished she had a gun with her, but this will suffice.

"I got your back, Nevill, my captain," Najwa said, very quietly, a low whisper, but nonetheless determined. "They get past your gun, they'll have to deal with our hands and whatever's in them."

She figured, of course, that in close combat, the revolver would be better suited as a club.

Again?

"I fear no evil," he said calm and cool. He had to grab the Bible. Some how it became personal shield to him. He pushed it to Alex to hold because he was his son.

He went to join the others as he had his gun out. "Alex behind me and ladies. Let Niver or Nive--nevel--er never mind. We will handle it!" The mix of names was effecting him from what the ladies was calling the Nose.

The gallop and jump aboard had jarred her ribs something fierce so while the others boarded after her, she took a moment to quell the pain.  The was no pain - only Glory.  That's what her mother would have said.  Once all were aboard who could make it aboard, they were given their direction by T'Lara.   Helga was assigned point, and Crewman Jensen rear guard, while the Commander and Ensign Stoerm were kept protected in the center.   They were reminded that they were to maintain their disguise as bandits, or rather train robbers now.   

Helga proceeded forward with the Colt revolver held out ahead of her.  It felt awkward in her grip unlike a Type 2 phaser would.  She moved to the door at the front of the caboose and proceeded through into the tail end passenger car.

Her unexpected arrival and that of the team behind her caused a bit of a stir.   She pointed the revolver to the ceiling and fired off a shot before leveling it back towards the crowd.  "Settle down! Stay in your seats with your hands empty in the air!" she ordered.  While the frightened passengers complied, Helga looked over the faces.  None of their people were in this car nor were any Thunga from the looks of it. 

"They aren't in this car." Helga stated then barked out another command to the passengers.  "Heads down! I'll shoot out any eyes I see." she threatened gruffly then nodded to Crewman Jensen to take over this lot.  The Klingon crewman then strode forward moving towards the front of the passenger car - ready to move on to the next. 

While the team proceeded forward, Crewman Jensen, after assuring that everyone had their heads down, pulled out her phaser and stunned all the passengers on wide beam.  That would  keep them from following after them. 

The doors between the two train cars had small window panes and through them, as she approached, Helga caught a brief glimpse of Captain Tekin standing at the ready with a revolver himself.   This just got interesting.   She quickly motioned the two ranking officers back out of the Bajoran's line of sight as she pressed herself against side wall to avoid being a target herself.

"Seems a certain someone is ready for us."

Helga knew that she didn't have a whole lot of choice on what to do.  "I'll rush him, try to throw off his fire while you two," pointing to Stoerm and Jensen "come in quick behind to deal him with the others.  I can't see Lt Said sitting idle while the Captain puts himself at risk.  I'll assist with her once I have the Captain secure."

Perhaps it was a mistaken assessment, but Helga deemed her own Department Head as the more serious threat rather than the Captain who if rumor had it correct had risen from the Science Department.

She looked briefly to the Commander to be sure the officer was good with this plan then nodded.  She felt the stir of adrenaline pulse through her veins in readiness.  Then without another word Helga pushed away from the wall and rushed towards the door, throwing it open.   The Klingon hybrid held her ancient firearm out in front of her as a deterrent, though she kept her finger well away from the trigger.  There was no way she was going to shoot her Captain!
Danjar-Torra's Bio - Grazerite female 6'6' (1.98m) - Alt of ShranLahr ch'Verret

Offline Luby Wentock

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • "Damn it, man, I'm a doctor, not a technician..."
  • Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: April 08, 2021, 07:04:10 am »

Luby looked worriedly at Nevill and shrank into her chair.  Something in the back of her brain told her that she knew how to fight but she was better at patching people up after the fighting.

"Be careful, Nevill!" she whispered.

Najwa watched attentively as Nevill was teaching cards to her, Lu and Alexander. She reacted to the unusual noise just as The Nose did. She whirled in the direction of the noise so fast, any faster reflex would've resulted in whiplash. She followed the direction Nevill looked...to the back of the train.

Her suspicions were aroused once again. Her eyes narrowed at the direction. She balled her fists, ready to jump into action. She had no weapon on her, not even if she broke a bottle and used the neck end of it as an improvised dagger (with multiple points that are just as deadly as one). She probably wouldn't need it; she remembered some forms of combat, some of them dancelike, and she'd be downright dangerous...though she won't hesitate to smash a bottle and use the neck end like her old dagger if it came in a pinch.

She nodded at Nevill's gesture of silence and watched him as he made his way back and pulled back the curtains. She rose and followed silently after him and was about to ask him what he saw when she saw the horses. The view was obscured by the whole of The Nose, but she could see them. Horses. Without riders. That could only mean...

...intruders. More than intruders, the way Nevill talked.

Perhaps the same gang that attacked them on the stage and forced them to go on Shank's Mare, as the Paradise locals called it (Najwa only remembered that expression because one of the saloon girls mentioned it: "Ya poor dear, goin' on Shank's Mare all the way from the middle o' nowhere"). They must've been getting ambitious to try to rob a train. Let alone this train.

"Najwa don't do anything silly, let the men handle it, maybe...maybe they'll not want to hurt us women! Oh...maybe it's Indians?!" the young schoolteacher said hopefully yet fearfully when she mentioned the indians.

Again?

Strange that he had his gun still in the holster. The Sheriff never took it, the deputies had not taken it. The father figure had never touched it in jail cell because he figured he would lose and they were out match.

There was no thought on how he had his gun after those robbers. That common sense never came to him. That would been perfect evidence against him and his son. The story being robbed and coming from Boston had clear evidence. Why would robbers let the victim keep their shooters?

However it was never used against them. Sheriff knew. He had not gave it a second thought, but the Sheriff wanted them to tell them how they got here. That was the trick. Story where they came from became Don and the others reality of now.

"Between a gun and a bible, I hope you mean with the ladies rather than behind them.  I know you love your son, sir, but he's a man and he needs to be treated as such, we don't have weapons, so we can't do much to save Alex... what would you have us do?  Pray and faint prettily and hope they take pity on us and don't even get to Alex?!  You and Nevill are the ones with guns, if you can't save your own son,..." Luby asked crossly.  "Let him stand and fight like the rest of us... I'll ... I'll scream at them, poke them in the eyes and kick their shins.  Maybe...." she drew breath sharply looking around for things. "...maybe throw my books at them!"  she said picking the largest from the seat beside her.

Offline Tekin Nevir

• Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #296 on: April 08, 2021, 08:47:57 am »

Lek nodded at the Vulcan and peeked out from behind his cover, moved next to the console, and began trying to figure out how to shut down the temporal scrambler.

"I have never seen technology like this, so I'm going to have make at least one assumption. If something operates on one frequency, then the opposite frequency should interfere with the primary operation."

It was strange to work in 3D, but he got the hang of it quickly enough despite all the noise from the shooting. Too many people were counting on him to allow something as trivial as getting killed distract him.

After one of the longest minutes of his life, Lek believed he had figured out how to input a conflicting 'frequency' for lack of a better term because this was technology that was far in advance of anything he'd ever seen before.

He whispered and initiated the counter input and dearly hoped it would shut down the scrambler

Something to look forward to in the future... displays became much more user friendly and adaptable.  In fact that seemed to be the name of the game with this device; completely adaptable.  What wasn't too adaptable would be the T'hunga firing back at the team, and with disruptor weapons no less.  But, as Torra noted, there were no civilians; no time stress on brains.  And with that, the orange beams of Starfleet phasers replaced the ancient bullets of the past.

While it was difficult... very difficult, to pinpoint the frequency since it seemed to change, Lek's work was slowly but surely locking down a neutralizing pattern.  There was a sequence that was forming, so it only took matching those sequences before device started to lose stability and began to pulse.  Shimmering waves seemed to distort the rock cavern around them, as if it was trying to mold the cavern against the rock behind it. 

Outside in the town, while A'Ron and the Sheriff shot at each other, a silver shimmer in the sky indicated something was wrong, and for a moment the building A'Ron was behind seemed to fade, leaving just a footprint, before it came back.  The distraction team pushed ahead, and to his luck the building the Sheriff was using also phased into a future ghost town state, leaving him open.  With a lucky shot, the Sheriff was disarmed and then shot in the same arm by another crewman.  The future officer stood up in victory, but suddenly found himself on the ground with another crack, and pain in his chest.

Back in the mine, Lek's work with neutralizing the frequency and causing the device to destabilize worked like a charm, and the future tech went into a shutdown sequence.  The device seemed to shimmer and then reconstruct itself on a cellular level into a smaller form, leaving just a cylinder about half the size of the device, and completely smooth.  Silent alerts on some of the other computers around the room showed the same thing; the temporal shield was deactivating, as well as control of the mental devices scattered around the town.  And the Discovery... the Discovery was now reachable again.

Offline Tekin Nevir

• Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: April 08, 2021, 09:02:44 am »

At Lek's and then Savar's correction about the function of the device, Torra looked a bit sheepish, dipping her head apologetically.  She'd been so lost and confused on everything, that the few bits of information that she'd been told she'd somehow mixed up together.   She quietly apologized for the confusion and then stood back to keep watch.  Good thing too for the fight wasn’t quite over.   

While Savar had Lek’s back, Torra had the Savar’s.   She placed herself in position assist the Vulcan officer.  The use of disruptor’s and the lack of any mine workers meant that she could fire back with her borrowed phaser without fear of mental trauma for any innocents. 

The gallop and jump aboard had jarred her ribs something fierce so while the others boarded after her, she took a moment to quell the pain.  The was no pain - only Glory.  That's what her mother would have said.  Once all were aboard who could make it aboard, they were given their direction by T'Lara.   Helga was assigned point, and Crewman Jensen rear guard, while the Commander and Ensign Stoerm were kept protected in the center.   They were reminded that they were to maintain their disguise as bandits, or rather train robbers now.   

Helga proceeded forward with the Colt revolver held out ahead of her.  It felt awkward in her grip unlike a Type 2 phaser would.  She moved to the door at the front of the caboose and proceeded through into the tail end passenger car.

Her unexpected arrival and that of the team behind her caused a bit of a stir.   She pointed the revolver to the ceiling and fired off a shot before leveling it back towards the crowd.  "Settle down! Stay in your seats with your hands empty in the air!" she ordered.  While the frightened passengers complied, Helga looked over the faces.  None of their people were in this car nor were any Thunga from the looks of it. 

"They aren't in this car." Helga stated then barked out another command to the passengers.  "Heads down! I'll shoot out any eyes I see." she threatened gruffly then nodded to Crewman Jensen to take over this lot.  The Klingon crewman then strode forward moving towards the front of the passenger car - ready to move on to the next. 

While the team proceeded forward, Crewman Jensen, after assuring that everyone had their heads down, pulled out her phaser and stunned all the passengers on wide beam.  That would  keep them from following after them. 

The doors between the two train cars had small window panes and through them, as she approached, Helga caught a brief glimpse of Captain Tekin standing at the ready with a revolver himself.   This just got interesting.   She quickly motioned the two ranking officers back out of the Bajoran's line of sight as she pressed herself against side wall to avoid being a target herself.

Helga knew that she didn't have a whole lot of choice on what to do.  "I'll rush him, try to throw off his fire while you two," pointing to Stoerm and Jensen "come in quick behind to deal him with the others.  I can't see Lt Said sitting idle while the Captain puts himself at risk.  I'll assist with her once I have the Captain secure."

Perhaps it was a mistaken assessment, but Helga deemed her own Department Head as the more serious threat rather than the Captain who if rumor had it correct had risen from the Science Department.

She looked briefly to the Commander to be sure the officer was good with this plan then nodded.  She felt the stir of adrenaline pulse through her veins in readiness.  Then without another word Helga pushed away from the wall and rushed towards the door, throwing it open.   The Klingon hybrid held her ancient firearm out in front of her as a deterrent, though she kept her finger well away from the trigger.  There was no way she was going to shoot her Captain!

[Gaming Car - Train - en route east of Paradise]

The gambler smirked at the writer, and shook his head.  "You've been around Najwa too much... just call me the Nose if Nevill...ir... is too much..." he said, suddenly trying to remember what his first name sounded like.  Maybe he had been going by the Nose too long.

Watching the robbers coming towards them, it seemed one of them saw him, as they all suddenly went to cover.  "They think they are being clever...." he muttered, taking a step back.  They were going to try to push their way into the VIP section of the train anyways, and the ridged cark shark motioned for everyone to back up and get to cover. 

He didn't have to wait long, as the brimmed-hat woman pushed through the door to the car, and the one thing he didn't count on occured... the bright light from the sun coming into the otherwise darkened room.  He had to squint, as as a result couldn't aim, firing into Helga's direction.  The one sided shootout started, but Helga surprisingly had the advantage; her eyes were adjusted to the light currently.  And once Nevill got his 6 shots fired... he would be out of ammo.

Offline Nira Said

• Command Level Officer
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: April 08, 2021, 09:48:30 am »

Luby looked worriedly at Nevill and shrank into her chair.  Something in the back of her brain told her that she knew how to fight but she was better at patching people up after the fighting.

"Be careful, Nevill!" she whispered.

"Najwa don't do anything silly, let the men handle it, maybe...maybe they'll not want to hurt us women! Oh...maybe it's Indians?!" the young schoolteacher said hopefully yet fearfully when she mentioned the indians.

"Between a gun and a bible, I hope you mean with the ladies rather than behind them.  I know you love your son, sir, but he's a man and he needs to be treated as such, we don't have weapons, so we can't do much to save Alex... what would you have us do?  Pray and faint prettily and hope they take pity on us and don't even get to Alex?!  You and Nevill are the ones with guns, if you can't save your own son,..." Luby asked crossly.  "Let him stand and fight like the rest of us... I'll ... I'll scream at them, poke them in the eyes and kick their shins.  Maybe...." she drew breath sharply looking around for things. "...maybe throw my books at them!"  she said picking the largest from the seat beside her.
[Gaming Car - Train - en route east of Paradise]

The gambler smirked at the writer, and shook his head.  "You've been around Najwa too much... just call me the Nose if Nevill...ir... is too much..." he said, suddenly trying to remember what his first name sounded like.  Maybe he had been going by the Nose too long.

Watching the robbers coming towards them, it seemed one of them saw him, as they all suddenly went to cover.  "They think they are being clever...." he muttered, taking a step back.  They were going to try to push their way into the VIP section of the train anyways, and the ridged cark shark motioned for everyone to back up and get to cover. 

He didn't have to wait long, as the brimmed-hat woman pushed through the door to the car, and the one thing he didn't count on occured... the bright light from the sun coming into the otherwise darkened room.  He had to squint, as as a result couldn't aim, firing into Helga's direction.  The one sided shootout started, but Helga surprisingly had the advantage; her eyes were adjusted to the light currently.  And once Nevill got his 6 shots fired... he would be out of ammo.
[Najwa/Nira (?) Said | Gaming Car | Bennyrock Train | En Route to Washington | Arizona Territory | 1899]

Najwa had to whirl around at Lu to glare at her and she snarled, "Then you don't know me at all, Lulubelle! I'm not just a mere desert flower! I can be thorny when I want to! I may be beautiful, but I can be dangerous if things get serious enough!"

Though at the proposition of using her books as weapons, Najwa smirked and retorted, "Better to use them as clubs!"

Then the door opened to let the intruder in and a bright light...the light of the sun...glared in. Najwa had to squint. She could barely see, being somewhat blinded by the sun, what with the darkened room. She could make out the outline of a woman in a wide-brimmed hat and the moment she realized it was a woman, she was outraged.

WHAT IN ALLAH'S NAME IS A WOMAN DOING WITH THESE PIGS?!? Nira lashed out mentally, outraged that a woman would be a part of these outlaws.

She stuck close to the Nose, ready to bludgeon, then try to cut and stab, anybody who came in her way. But still, the glare of the sun made it difficult for her to see the opposition.

This could be a problem, she thought to herself, and she also noted the woman's figure. This hag could be a handful, she mentally added, bitterly.

Something to look forward to in the future... displays became much more user friendly and adaptable.  In fact that seemed to be the name of the game with this device; completely adaptable.  What wasn't too adaptable would be the T'hunga firing back at the team, and with disruptor weapons no less.  But, as Torra noted, there were no civilians; no time stress on brains.  And with that, the orange beams of Starfleet phasers replaced the ancient bullets of the past.

While it was difficult... very difficult, to pinpoint the frequency since it seemed to change, Lek's work was slowly but surely locking down a neutralizing pattern.  There was a sequence that was forming, so it only took matching those sequences before device started to lose stability and began to pulse.  Shimmering waves seemed to distort the rock cavern around them, as if it was trying to mold the cavern against the rock behind it. 

Lek's work with neutralizing the frequency and causing the device to destabilize worked like a charm, and the future tech went into a shutdown sequence.  The device seemed to shimmer and then reconstruct itself on a cellular level into a smaller form, leaving just a cylinder about half the size of the device, and completely smooth.  Silent alerts on some of the other computers around the room showed the same thing; the temporal shield was deactivating, as well as control of the mental devices scattered around the town.  And the Discovery... the Discovery was now reachable again.

As Lek worked, Savar fired beam after beam at the T'hunga, all while a rage was boiling inside him. These pigs - he learned from Nira that one of the worst Arabic insults was to call a person a pig, considering pigs and pork were impure to Arabs - they were responsible for screwing around with her. But he was feeling a different kind of rage. He knew at once that rage, that strong rage, was from Nira...

...the distraction team's likely to be in trouble if Nira decided to attack them...So many strong emotions and murderous thoughts were pouring from Nira that was getting difficult to focus. A bolt hitting a rock some inches in front of him jolted him back and he forced himself to concentrate...

At that moment, the device worked for Lek and things adjusted. He could see things were...well, perhaps returning to normal...and he began realizing the temporal shield and the town's mental controls were down, and Discovery was reachable.

"By Surak and Allah!" said Savar with appraisal, using two crucial cultural figures to emphasize his joy. "It's worked!"

He added a mental note that he was definitely going to talk to Nira once she was brought back to her old self. First chance they got.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:00:46 am by Nira Said »
Betazoid

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: April 08, 2021, 10:56:01 am »

Outside in the town, while A'Ron and the Sheriff shot at each other, a silver shimmer in the sky indicated something was wrong, and for a moment the building A'Ron was behind seemed to fade, leaving just a footprint, before it came back.  The distraction team pushed ahead, and to his luck the building the Sheriff was using also phased into a future ghost town state, leaving him open.  With a lucky shot, the Sheriff was disarmed and then shot in the same arm by another crewman.  The future officer stood up in victory, but suddenly found himself on the ground with another crack, and pain in his chest.

Back in the mine, Lek's work with neutralizing the frequency and causing the device to destabilize worked like a charm, and the future tech went into a shutdown sequence.  The device seemed to shimmer and then reconstruct itself on a cellular level into a smaller form, leaving just a cylinder about half the size of the device, and completely smooth.  Silent alerts on some of the other computers around the room showed the same thing; the temporal shield was deactivating, as well as control of the mental devices scattered around the town.  And the Discovery... the Discovery was now reachable again.

As Lek worked, Savar fired beam after beam at the T'hunga, all while a rage was boiling inside him. These pigs - he learned from Nira that one of the worst Arabic insults was to call a person a pig, considering pigs and pork were impure to Arabs - they were responsible for screwing around with her. But he was feeling a different kind of rage. He knew at once that rage, that strong rage, was from Nira...

...the distraction team's likely to be in trouble if Nira decided to attack them...So many strong emotions and murderous thoughts were pouring from Nira that was getting difficult to focus. A bolt hitting a rock some inches in front of him jolted him back and he forced himself to concentrate...

At that moment, the device worked for Lek and things adjusted. He could see things were...well, perhaps returning to normal...and he began realizing the temporal shield and the town's mental controls were down, and Discovery was reachable.

"By Surak and Allah!" said Savar with appraisal, using two crucial cultural figures to emphasize his joy. "It's worked!"

He added a mental note that he was definitely going to talk to Nira once she was brought back to her old self. First chance they got.

Lek opened an eye and then realized he hadn't even known he'd closed when he entered the final command and saw that he'd done it. It was fascinating to watch the inhibitor re-shape itself into the smaller size, but he didn't have time to admit his work or the technology as a disruptor beam whizzed past his head so close it scorched his left ear. Emitting a high-pitched screech that only a Ferengi could manage, Lek crumpled to the ground clutching his lobe in abject agony and was, at least temporarily, out of the fight as he writhed in pain.
Alt of Ian Galloway

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles