Season 14, Episode 5: The First Frontier

Started by Tekin Nevir, January 20, 2021, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Damien Addams

[Saloon and small town]

Don nodded his head to the Captain as they dismissed them. "œAll right, Nevir. See you later," he said. Yes. He did not say. The Captain's name.

"œYou ladies take care of yourself," Don said tipping his head and touching the rim of his hat. Then he stood up and patted Graham on the back. "œCome on, Alex," he said to the kid. As they are walking out. "œI wonder if they are hiring at the tracks." It was off the cuff conversation for any ears that was listening.

"œI think if we find the post office which might be close to the tracks. I am not sure. I could be wrong," he said. The he whispered. "œYou think we are in some Holodeck. This is amazing! I mean real wood. Before planes were made. This is like cool. I hope we see a train."

As they walked by a wooden post, he had knocked on it and he smiled. He recalled his grandfather say, knocking on wood was good luck. He was not sure that was true. It would not harm for have luck with them.

A man on a horse rode by. It was beautiful creature. Don had to look at it longer. It was tamed. It seemed to enjoy with the rider on his back. He was not sure.

Then he was fascinated about the glass in the windows and doors.   He had wondered how they make that. This was making him wonder more on this time line which eventually led to their future.

Don had wished his wife was with him to experience this event. Heck he will explain it to her by word by word. It can sound like a romance thing.

Alexander Graham

Quote from: Don Damien Addams on February 19, 2021, 08:44:33 PM

[Saloon and small town]

Don nodded his head to the Captain as they dismissed them. "œAll right, Nevir. See you later," he said. Yes. He did not say. The Captain's name.

"œYou ladies take care of yourself," Don said tipping his head and touching the rim of his hat. Then he stood up and patted Graham on the back. "œCome on, Alex," he said to the kid. As they are walking out. "œI wonder if they are hiring at the tracks." It was off the cuff conversation for any ears that was listening.

"œI think if we find the post office which might be close to the tracks. I am not sure. I could be wrong," he said. The he whispered. "œYou think we are in some Holodeck. This is amazing! I mean real wood. Before planes were made. This is like cool. I hope we see a train."

As they walked by a wooden post, he had knocked on it and he smiled. He recalled his grandfather say, knocking on wood was good luck. He was not sure that was true. It would not harm for have luck with them.

A man on a horse rode by. It was beautiful creature. Don had to look at it longer. It was tamed. It seemed to enjoy with the rider on his back. He was not sure.

Then he was fascinated about the glass in the windows and doors.   He had wondered how they make that. This was making him wonder more on this time line which eventually led to their future.

Don had wished his wife was with him to experience this event. Heck he will explain it to her by word by word. It can sound like a romance thing.

[saloon and small town]

"œIt could be but there are some things that just don't make sense to me." As they ventured along he saw a beautiful horse that even he had to look. "œHow are we supposed to know where we are supposed to be going?" Maybe there was something within their surroundings that might be able to help them figure it out. It definitely felt sort of romantic and that made him miss his boyfriend. If they were hiring at the tracks then he thought that there wouldn't be much of a chance that they would get caught since they would be able to blend in with the others at the tracks.

Nira Said

Quote from: Luby Wentock on February 19, 2021, 07:44:34 AM

[Saloon - Earth]

Luby realised she'd made a mistake, but shrugged it off.

"I had assumed someone would have a cow, or a goat.  My apologies.  Although I have drunk it without milk.  I guess coming from England..."

She was thankful that her accent was more European than American, so she could pass herself off as English and it would fit the 'tea' thing.

"...I'm used to tea being everywhere.  Whatever is the local drink will suffice.  A lady adapts to her environment.  A schoolteacher more so!"

She turned to Tekin when he asked for ideas.

"Perhaps main buildings that we could reasonably be going into.  If there is a telegraph office, post office, bank, church, school we could check out those places without arousing suspicion I should imagine.  Is that poker, or faro?" she said with a nod towards the card game.  "Maybe we should join in, people talk more freely when they have a few beers or liquor in them and enjoying themselves."

Quote from: Don Damien Addams on February 19, 2021, 01:39:08 PM

[Saloon in small town]

"œWe need to stay too. They will be suspicious if we just got up and go with no horses. They seem to social society. Rub little elbow here and there. But if we play poker what we gonna use for the ante?" He asked.

"œThey be wondering why we are broke coming to town too," he added. "œYou think we can pass s some religious group who believes not owing money and property like believe the land will provide mumbo jumbo stuff?" He added.

Then he eyed Tekin's hands which most likely on the table. "œWe can say we got that golden pocket thing. That seem to value? I think. Play a hand or two we can see what they say. Or we can see if Luby and Nira can flirt info out?"

That Don knew because Legs a ex-employee he worked with used her looks and legs to get things by her charm. It could be dangerous but very effective. The idea was good and bad.

"œAfter one or two hours we might have the info we need. Then we do it," he gave a little smile.

Quote from: Tekin Nevir on February 19, 2021, 04:42:07 PM

[Saloon - Town - Earth]

The Captain frowned, looking over at the other table.  There were a few cards in the middle of the table, and that did look like poker to him.  "I'm leaning on poker... and at this point, I'm hoping." he said, pulling out the cards and shuffling them.  "Also, Don... remind me to thank your wife for the set.  I didn't expect poker to be a pivotal point in any mission." he said, as Don mentioned the golden chronometer.

"So.. from what we've seen, this place is definite primitive.  Which means there are things that we can expect to not be here.  Judging by this... liquid... refrigeration is non-existent most likely.  There is definitely a rugged lifestyle, and it stands to reason that these people lean on pragmatism.  We can use that to our advantage.  I think Nira and Luby are right.  We need places of purpose, and open ears.  I don't know how we are going to come up with a cover story, but we'll just have to take context clues.  If anything, we are travelers stopping by." he said, looking at the other table.  One of the guys looked up at him, and a grin on his face formed.  Fresh meat.

"Nira, Luby, you two check out some of the other buildings. Adams, Graham, you two check out the transport hub.  Try to avoid too many questions.  I think I may have already gotten myself caught." he said, gesturing his head as one of the players from the other table had come over.

"Damn... I didn't realize this is such a small table.  Barely any cash at all!" he said, shaking his head.  "I'm guessing you folks don't have much... except for you.  I know you have money.  No one has clothes that good and not wealthy.  Come join us... we got a seat open." he said, looking straight at the Captain.  Nevir looked at the away team before nodding.

"Dismissed." he said, standing up, and looking at the other man.  "Unfortunately I don't have much on me.... but I do have this." he said, pulling out the gold item.  The man looked at him strangely.

"What kind of wealthy man doesn't walk around with... oh... y'all got robbed ain't ya?" he said, looking from Nevir to the others.  "That makes sense... I ain't seen no wagon come in.  Gotta be careful friend.  Between the injuns and the bushwackers the frontier ain't for the dainty." he said, slapping a hand on Nevir's shoulder and leading him to the high stakes table.

"Well let's see if you can get some of that money back.  I'd say that watch is worth... twenty five dollars." he said, pulling the watch out and setting it in the pile of money on the table.

"John, get this man some chips... twenty five dollars." he said, and was answered with grunts of approval.  With the replicated watch on the table and chips worth it on his side, the captain was at least able to confirm the game was indeed poker.  Good.

With that, the first hand was dealt, and the Captain started playing poker.

Quote from: Don Damien Addams on February 19, 2021, 08:44:33 PM

[Saloon and small town]

[Lieutenant Nira Said | Saloon >- Streets | Settlement | American Southwest | Earth | Late 19th Century]

"I heartily agree, Don," said Nira at his observation. "Staying in town seems to be more likely, if we can find a way to stay. That thought occurred to me, too: It'll look suspicious if we keep coming and going without horses. Though even with horses, people will wonder where we'll be going, and a person suspicious enough will follow us to the ship. Only depends if transporters work, we could come and go unseen if we found the right place and keep the backdoor open."

Nira noticed the Captain pull out the ancient pocketwatch...clearly the computer replicated it. Nira realized she had no replicated jewelry.

"That should be valuable," said Nira, looking at the gold coloring. "Humanity before First Contact did always strive for wealth and acquisition."

Nira blinked when she realized she briefly sounded like a Ferengi. And it was true; anybody going through the Academy knew how since Humanity began exploring the stars, the acquisition of wealth as a driving force of life was shunted sideways.

"But flirt?" added Nira quietly. "I'm likely to get a better chance than Miss Wentlock, I'll attract more men that way. And I'd have a better chance of being flirtatious if I was a performer on that stage," she added, gesturing with her eyes at the stage. "But fat chance of that."

Nira flinched in surprise when the Captain referred to her by her first name. Of course, it would seem strange to keep using ranks; it's also somewhat why Nira addressed the Cadet at "Miss Wentlock," in case they were overheard...as if anybody would've had sharp enough ears or were attentive enough. Though none the more so when a player approached Tekin.

Of course he'd make a beeline to him, Nira thought to herself. With that attire, he undoubtedly stands out the most.

A word that stood out when the player came to chat was "robbed," and it occurred to Nira it would be a good role to appear as, hence why they walked into town. All the dust would easily make sense. She shrugged in response but said nothing at all.

Dismissed, Nira rose and replied, in her thicker Arabic accent, "Good luck, Nevir." Though with her thick accent, she made it sound like "Nefir," which sounded a little more Arabic...or maybe, at the very least, more sounding like he was human, but came from Arabia, sort of; Nira often made the mistake of thinking "Nevir" as "Nefir" when she first came aboard Discovery, but by know, she knew very well to know his name pronounced correctly.

As Nira passed a table, one of the players she passed gave a wolf whistle, clearly drawn to her looks. Nira glared back, but this time, the glare took on a more annoyed look, something that said "not now." She had an idea formulating when she saw the stage, but she wasn't sure if the time period approved of her style. The idea of flirting information out, Nira realized the best way to do that would be a stage performer, though she'll likely need to find out later how to join in...

"Echhh, men," snapped another serving woman, clearly noticing slight attention given to Nira. "No respect fer the oppo-site six. Still, yer a looker, suga. Were you one o' da girls up der," she said, gesturing at the stage, "yeh'd not only raise Cain, but Ahab and Jezebel while yer at it."

"Thank you?" said Nira, wondering whether to be offended or flattered as she tried to make sense of the accent. She knew what a "looker" meant, she first heard the expression at the Academy, where there were no shortage of boys wanting a look at her. But raising Cain, Ahab and Jezebel...Nira didn't want to know who they were.

"Could there be a way to join in?" said Nira. "I've come quite a long way, way far east...circumstances of course..."

"Ooh, I understand yeh, suga," said the serving woman. "Purdy girl like yeh, nuthin' but the clothes on yer back...Ah, what the hell, the saloon could use one more. Ain't 'nuff women 'round these parts anyway. I'll hafta git a word in with the management if I can git the chance. Donchya go nowhere though, y'heer?"

"Like I'd have anywhere to go," said Nira with a smile before she left. She made a note to come back, not just in case the "management" would like a word with her, but to report back to the Captain.

Outside, Nira gestured for Cadet Wentlock to follow and replied, "Let's start with the inn, Miss Wentlock. We may be here for a while."

There was a reason Nira chose the inn to start with checking out buildings. The fact that it would look suspicious if the away team were coming and going without horses would draw attention. Even more significant would be that even with horses, people would wonder where they were going. Nira intended to look at the accommodations, get a place to stay, and at least find a place where they can beam in and out of town without being seen, assuming the transporters were working. Though if there was any suspicious activity or persons, especially persons who don't look like they belong on Earth anywhere, Nira would take note of it; she was keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

First Officer, Outpost Solaere
Betazoid
"Reading the mind can be like reading a book at times. Sometimes it is a lot more preferable to skim the pages, but one needs to immerse himself or herself totally into it to discover the truth, if necessary."
NPC: Savar

Danjar-Torra Addams

Ensign Danjar-Torra Addams
[USS Discovery - Deck One - Bridge]

After sending Lek's request for aid to Lt Banan, it didn't take long for approval to be granted and Torra's assignment roster to be looked over and given the okay.  Torra was also given orders to see the roster implemented before she herself joined the repair crew.

The Bridge was disturbingly quiet as the Grazerite contacted the other Ops personnel to inform them of their new assignments.  With the ship grounded and the usual bridge personnel on away mission, the few junior replacements were silent as there were next to nothing for them to do.  Even T'Lara seemed distracted and silent.

When Torra was done contacting all the necessary personnel, Torra excused herself from the bridge, leaving her station to a junior (she'd called Elena to take over her spot because she was next on the list.. not because she knew the human woman would do nothing but complain if she had to assist with the Deck 16 repairs - "I'm in Operations... I'm not a welder.")

In due course, Torra arrived down on Deck 16 to join in the repair effort.

Danjar-Torra's Bio - Grazerite female 6'6' (1.98m) - Alt of ShranLahr ch'Verret

Don Damien Addams

Quote from: Alexander Graham on February 19, 2021, 11:34:54 PM

[saloon and small town]

"œIt could be but there are some things that just don't make sense to me." As they ventured along he saw a beautiful horse that even he had to look. "œHow are we supposed to know where we are supposed to be going?" Maybe there was something within their surroundings that might be able to help them figure it out. It definitely felt sort of romantic and that made him miss his boyfriend. If they were hiring at the tracks then he thought that there wouldn't be much of a chance that they would get caught since they would be able to blend in with the others at the tracks.

[olde town in a desert]

The older man seemed to be concerned about the youngster. "œIn what way it does not make sense?" The guy stopped on the side talking quiet as he can. They were not on the dirt road where galloping horses would run them over.

Don was scanning the area trying to gather on how Alex was seeing it. He rubbed his chin with his right hand. "œWe should try to enjoy this. Play it slow," he shrug his shoulders. "œWe will be fine. That train whistle was down this way," the direction that was opposite side of town from the Discovery.

Zavrol Gohun

Quote from: Luby Wentock on February 17, 2021, 12:38:49 PM

[OOC - Apologies, in an attempt to catch up I'm skipping tags]

Settlement | American Southwest | Earth | 19th Century

_________________________________[/center]

[Sickbay - USS Discovery]

[As NPC Head Nurse Kestra Donaghue]

Grithaw Rag had arrived in Sickbay and promptly gone off to see to his patient, quickly explaining to Kestra about the 2 medics and Gohun coming in the turbolift.  It was therefore she, who met Zavrol coming out of the lift.

"Ah Crewman Gohun, Nurse Rag appraised me of the situation but he's rather busy with his patient, so lucky you ... you've got me.  Now why don't you fill me in with what happened and I can check to see if this has knitted your bone back together!" she said with a kindly smile.

-Gohun looked over.
"œMy arm was broken, and now it is fine. Thank you for your concern, but I need to get back to helping others and examining areas unless security has something better for me to do."
With that, Gohun started to walk out and then remembered the thingamabob that was put on his arm, and he took it off. It was at that moment his arm had an incredible stabbing pain. It looks like the arm was not yet fixed all the way, and he was not that familiar with medical technology as he was with ship engines. So that means that he needed to give the device back so the nurse could help him. Somewhat annoyed at himself, Gohun hands the device over to the nurse in hopes she turns it on again.

Alexander Graham

Quote from: Don Damien Addams on February 20, 2021, 03:36:49 AM

[olde town in a desert]

The older man seemed to be concerned about the youngster. "œIn what way it does not make sense?" The guy stopped on the side talking quiet as he can. They were not on the dirt road where galloping horses would run them over.

Don was scanning the area trying to gather on how Alex was seeing it. He rubbed his chin with his right hand. "œWe should try to enjoy this. Play it slow," he shrug his shoulders. "œWe will be fine. That train whistle was down this way," the direction that was opposite side of town from the Discovery.

[olde town in a desert]

"œBasically what doesn't makes sense to me is the math of how we ended up in the past." A part of him thought that maybe a butterfly effect might be triggered because of it. He surely didn't mean to concern Don but he was just confused. He was going to try and see things the way that Don was seeing them. Maybe he could get a better perspective on things just from doing so. "œOkay let's follow where the train whistle was coming from." He wondered what else they were going to see as they traveled down to the tracks.

Luby Wentock

Quote from: Zavrol Gohun on February 20, 2021, 08:23:35 AM

-Gohun looked over.
"œMy arm was broken, and now it is fine. Thank you for your concern, but I need to get back to helping others and examining areas unless security has something better for me to do."
With that, Gohun started to walk out and then remembered the thingamabob that was put on his arm, and he took it off. It was at that moment his arm had an incredible stabbing pain. It looks like the arm was not yet fixed all the way, and he was not that familiar with medical technology as he was with ship engines. So that means that he needed to give the device back so the nurse could help him. Somewhat annoyed at himself, Gohun hands the device over to the nurse in hopes she turns it on again.

[Sickbay - USS Challenger]

[As NPC Nurse Kestra Donaghue]

Kestra sighed and let out a few 'Tsks' at Zavrol shaking her head at him in a motherly concerned sort of way.

"Security types... worst patients after doctors.  You think you're all immune to pain, or don't want to be seen as weak.  You're broken, and THAT needs time to heal, we're medics not magicians.  Sit... let me put that back on and you will stay here until that's healed.  I'm a Nurse Practioner so if I need to pull rank, since that's like a sub-doctor, then I will. And I'll have a doctor back me up if necessary."

Kestra took the device from Crewman Gohun and let him sit then not unkindly put the device back on after scanning his arm to see how much damage had been done.

"It's not a bad break insofar as it's clean, not fragmented, but I estimate you're going to be out of commission for at least the next 45 mins and then only LIGHT duties if you're having to use the arm.  I can mend the bones but the tendons and ligaments around it are going to ache for a while even if I give you painkillers.  I'll get you a drink however, to have while you're sitting and let whomever is still on the ship in charge of Sec/Tac know that you're here and will be here a little while.  Now what can I get you to drink?" she asked kindly.

Quote from: Nira Said on February 20, 2021, 12:33:24 AM

[Lieutenant Nira Said | Saloon >- Streets | Settlement | American Southwest | Earth | Late 19th Century]

"I heartily agree, Don," said Nira at his observation. "Staying in town seems to be more likely, if we can find a way to stay. That thought occurred to me, too: It'll look suspicious if we keep coming and going without horses. Though even with horses, people will wonder where we'll be going, and a person suspicious enough will follow us to the ship. Only depends if transporters work, we could come and go unseen if we found the right place and keep the backdoor open."

Nira noticed the Captain pull out the ancient pocketwatch...clearly the computer replicated it. Nira realized she had no replicated jewelry.

"That should be valuable," said Nira, looking at the gold coloring. "Humanity before First Contact did always strive for wealth and acquisition."

Nira blinked when she realized she briefly sounded like a Ferengi. And it was true; anybody going through the Academy knew how since Humanity began exploring the stars, the acquisition of wealth as a driving force of life was shunted sideways.

"But flirt?" added Nira quietly. "I'm likely to get a better chance than Miss Wentlock, I'll attract more men that way. And I'd have a better chance of being flirtatious if I was a performer on that stage," she added, gesturing with her eyes at the stage. "But fat chance of that."

Nira flinched in surprise when the Captain referred to her by her first name. Of course, it would seem strange to keep using ranks; it's also somewhat why Nira addressed the Cadet at "Miss Wentlock," in case they were overheard...as if anybody would've had sharp enough ears or were attentive enough. Though none the more so when a player approached Tekin.

Of course he'd make a beeline to him, Nira thought to herself. With that attire, he undoubtedly stands out the most.

A word that stood out when the player came to chat was "robbed," and it occurred to Nira it would be a good role to appear as, hence why they walked into town. All the dust would easily make sense. She shrugged in response but said nothing at all.

Dismissed, Nira rose and replied, in her thicker Arabic accent, "Good luck, Nevir." Though with her thick accent, she made it sound like "Nefir," which sounded a little more Arabic...or maybe, at the very least, more sounding like he was human, but came from Arabia, sort of; Nira often made the mistake of thinking "Nevir" as "Nefir" when she first came aboard Discovery, but by know, she knew very well to know his name pronounced correctly.

As Nira passed a table, one of the players she passed gave a wolf whistle, clearly drawn to her looks. Nira glared back, but this time, the glare took on a more annoyed look, something that said "not now." She had an idea formulating when she saw the stage, but she wasn't sure if the time period approved of her style. The idea of flirting information out, Nira realized the best way to do that would be a stage performer, though she'll likely need to find out later how to join in...

"Echhh, men," snapped another serving woman, clearly noticing slight attention given to Nira. "No respect fer the oppo-site six. Still, yer a looker, suga. Were you one o' da girls up der," she said, gesturing at the stage, "yeh'd not only raise Cain, but Ahab and Jezebel while yer at it."

"Thank you?" said Nira, wondering whether to be offended or flattered as she tried to make sense of the accent. She knew what a "looker" meant, she first heard the expression at the Academy, where there were no shortage of boys wanting a look at her. But raising Cain, Ahab and Jezebel...Nira didn't want to know who they were.

"Could there be a way to join in?" said Nira. "I've come quite a long way, way far east...circumstances of course..."

"Ooh, I understand yeh, suga," said the serving woman. "Purdy girl like yeh, nuthin' but the clothes on yer back...Ah, what the hell, the saloon could use one more. Ain't 'nuff women 'round these parts anyway. I'll hafta git a word in with the management if I can git the chance. Donchya go nowhere though, y'heer?"

"Like I'd have anywhere to go," said Nira with a smile before she left. She made a note to come back, not just in case the "management" would like a word with her, but to report back to the Captain.

Outside, Nira gestured for Cadet Wentlock to follow and replied, "Let's start with the inn, Miss Wentlock. We may be here for a while."

There was a reason Nira chose the inn to start with checking out buildings. The fact that it would look suspicious if the away team were coming and going without horses would draw attention. Even more significant would be that even with horses, people would wonder where they were going. Nira intended to look at the accommodations, get a place to stay, and at least find a place where they can beam in and out of town without being seen, assuming the transporters were working. Though if there was any suspicious activity or persons, especially persons who don't look like they belong on Earth anywhere, Nira would take note of it; she was keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

[Saloon - Frontier Town - Earth]

Luby nodded at Nira when she gestured to her to go outside.

"I quite agree... I have the earrings that I'm wearing which might pass as gold and diamond and my rings... part of my 'persona' is a young widow.  I don't know if you've ever seen the holomovie 'Gone With the Wind'... sort of like Scarlett O'Hara but less... well I didn't just marry for money and out of spite of not getting Ashley Wilkes... I'll loan it to you sometime if you're interested." the cadet said with a small smile.

"Point being.. there's a scene where people are collecting at a dance for money for soldiers, and Melanie Wilkes pulls off her wedding ring and declares that it's going to do her husband more use off her finger, than on it since he's fighting in the war.  Scarlett, now a widow, not to be outdone takes hers off and drops them in the basket too.  They are later returned by Rhett Butler who Scarlett goes on to marry at some point later in the movie, under the pretext that the women shouldn't go without the symbols of their menfolk, poor widows and the wives of heroes... blah blah.  They might take pity on me, and you and the others being my friends in this scenario, included in the party."

[The Inn]

"Let me take point on this one, for some reason they looked down on not perfectly white people back then." the young woman said quietly out the corner of her mouth.

Luby walked up to what passed for a reception in the Inn and looked at the person behind with what she hoped were sad eyes.

"Excuse me?  I wonder if you could help my friends and I, the men are out looking to be hired and we women are looking for accommodation for us all, for the time we are here. Sadly we were robbed on the road, but I managed to keep my ring, cross and earrings as they weren't hanging around just grabbed things they could take while we were sleeping..." she said letting a single tear trickle down her cheek.  The extra-curricular activities in the drama club at college hadn't gone to waste!

"We have no cash but my wedding ring is no use to me now and my... my late husband wouldn't want me sleeping in the street, so if you could see your way to letting that be payment for a couple of nights at least we'd be grateful.  My friend here is talking to the management of the saloon later, and like I said, the menfolk in the party are looking for getting hired.  I was a school teacher and I'm not unskilled in basic healing too, if there was anything a genteel lady like myself could do..?"

Luby laid it on thick but not too thick, offering both her ring and jewellery, pulling on the heartstrings with the widow story, but making it known that they were more than willing to work for their keep, she hoped would bear fruit.

Danjar-Torra Addams

Ensign Danjar-Torra Addams
[USS Discovery - Deck 16]

The damage to the ship's lowest deck was extensive.  Torra worked alongside her shipmates to get the deck space-worthy.  Relying on forcefields to keep the deck together would drain the ship's power so they needed to do alot of work, welding hull and deck plates together.   This was Torra's first time using a welder but as with many skills that she put her mind to, it didn't take long for the Grazerite to become proficient at it. 

Danjar-Torra's Bio - Grazerite female 6'6' (1.98m) - Alt of ShranLahr ch'Verret

Don Damien Addams

Quote from: Alexander Graham on February 20, 2021, 11:41:15 PM

[olde town in a desert]

"œBasically what doesn't makes sense to me is the math of how we ended up in the past." A part of him thought that maybe a butterfly effect might be triggered because of it. He surely didn't mean to concern Don but he was just confused. He was going to try and see things the way that Don was seeing them. Maybe he could get a better perspective on things just from doing so. "œOkay let's follow where the train whistle was coming from." He wondered what else they were going to see as they traveled down to the tracks.

[In the past on earth]

A small child was using a hammer as he was nailing wood together on a porch. The kid had no shoes on. He looked like he was not even twelve yet. There he was with a glass jar of nails. He was dirty from work. Man, he wanted to go over and tell the young boy go and play. He knew he could not say nothing.

Seeing children just reminds him that he has no kid of his own. That was something he had to work on. He knew he was the only child of his family. There was no thought having his own family. He even had not planned to fall in love with one wonderful lady. He even had not planned to marry when they thought they all gonna die. Here he was married with his wife for a year. It had not felt like it. But he was happy with a little unsure of things. He had to try to talk to Torra on the loss of the child or try again. It was a topic he would not want too but he knew they will have to some day. He knew it was not yet. Perhaps a few more months. Then would it be late. The thing he did not want to rush his wife.

The person on the horse stopped across the street. Leaped off the black horse, and tithed the reins on a railing. Then he walked into a store.

As they walked by two buildings Don saw clothes lines hanging between two buildings with clothes on them. That was odd they have their clothes hanging. It had to be drying.

"œI am glad we got past this. Hanging clothes. Children working," he said to Alex. "œYou ever had to do chores when your a kid?" He asked.  This was a great opportunity to get know the kid.

He was hoping the Captain was doing good in the game. In a way, he felt leaving the guy alone was not a good choice. But who would know they are from the future and what could happen? Anything can, but things go south. They would find a way out of it without doing harm.

They just had to be careful on what they say and what they do. Each moment counts. That what why he was trying to keep their conversation quiet away from people as he walked with Graham.

Now Nira and Luby alone was another thing. Two ladies alone in this time. He was hoping nothing go wrong with them as well. Heck, he had to stop it. This had to be from Torra. All he need now was some green veggie to nibble on.

Tekin Nevir

[Saloon - Western Town - Earth]

The Captain looked from one person to another, and then back to his cards.  Queen and Jack.  A decent hand, made only better with the flop showing two Queens and a King.  Two had already folded, and Nevir had only called.  After another rounds of bets and calls, the turn was revealed.  A two.  Almost immediately the first player on this turn folded.  There were smiles on the faces... this game was apparently more exciting.

"Thank god we have new blood.  Game's more exciting now.  Wha'did'ey call ya?  Nefeel?  Neveel?"

"You idiot, look at 'em.  Ain't no foreigner.  Clearly Nevill, right?"

The Bajoran looked at the others.  There was a clear distaste at the first couple of names, and he thought best against trying to correct them.  Let the history books have a Nevill instead of a Nevir.  "Yeah, that's right."

"See?  I told ya!  You're damn lucky fella; I'd dream of having an exotic gal like your lacey friend. I'd kill to take ya place." one of them said, eliciting laughter from the table.

Nevir laughed as well, though it took a moment to realize they were talking about Nira.  He decided to take a chance and make a bet, raising the pot by another 15 cents.  Another man folded, leaning back while they laughed.

"We might be seeing more of her... saw her talking to Miss Landry over there."

"Yeah right, ain't gonna happen until HE approves them."

"I hope he does... the same ol' faces leaves me glum."

"That's cuz the gals don' like you."

"Yeah, only because that molted bastard-"

"Sush!  Don't you be talkin' about the sheriff!  He has ears everywhere." said the current dealer, which perked the Captain's interest.  Instead of pressing, he watched as another round of drinks were put on the table, and the river was set up.  A jack.  A small grin formed on the first still in player, as he tossed another chip in.

"Raise a ten."

"Call."

It was Nevir's turn, he looked at what he had, and then at the pot, and looked straight at the first guy.  "Raise another 10."

"Call"

"Nope.. thats it for me.  Just you two now."

The first guy smirked, and raised an eyebrow.  "I'd be careful now.  Sheriff be interested in card sharks.  And rich money." he said, trying to intimidate the Captain.  Nevir looked back and then gave a bit of a laugh.  "Isn't he a law man?"

"Yeah sure... he ain't even hu-"

"Shut it!  Now!  If y'all done... let's see those cards." said the dealer, but the sudden hush caught the Captain's attention. 

Tekin Nevir

Quote from: Luby Wentock on February 21, 2021, 10:25:10 AM

"I quite agree... I have the earrings that I'm wearing which might pass as gold and diamond and my rings... part of my 'persona' is a young widow.  I don't know if you've ever seen the holomovie 'Gone With the Wind'... sort of like Scarlett O'Hara but less... well I didn't just marry for money and out of spite of not getting Ashley Wilkes... I'll loan it to you sometime if you're interested." the cadet said with a small smile.

"Point being.. there's a scene where people are collecting at a dance for money for soldiers, and Melanie Wilkes pulls off her wedding ring and declares that it's going to do her husband more use off her finger, than on it since he's fighting in the war.  Scarlett, now a widow, not to be outdone takes hers off and drops them in the basket too.  They are later returned by Rhett Butler who Scarlett goes on to marry at some point later in the movie, under the pretext that the women shouldn't go without the symbols of their menfolk, poor widows and the wives of heroes... blah blah.  They might take pity on me, and you and the others being my friends in this scenario, included in the party."

[The Inn]

"Let me take point on this one, for some reason they looked down on not perfectly white people back then." the young woman said quietly out the corner of her mouth.

Luby walked up to what passed for a reception in the Inn and looked at the person behind with what she hoped were sad eyes.

"Excuse me?  I wonder if you could help my friends and I, the men are out looking to be hired and we women are looking for accommodation for us all, for the time we are here. Sadly we were robbed on the road, but I managed to keep my ring, cross and earrings as they weren't hanging around just grabbed things they could take while we were sleeping..." she said letting a single tear trickle down her cheek.  The extra-curricular activities in the drama club at college hadn't gone to waste!

"We have no cash but my wedding ring is no use to me now and my... my late husband wouldn't want me sleeping in the street, so if you could see your way to letting that be payment for a couple of nights at least we'd be grateful.  My friend here is talking to the management of the saloon later, and like I said, the menfolk in the party are looking for getting hired.  I was a school teacher and I'm not unskilled in basic healing too, if there was anything a genteel lady like myself could do..?"

Luby laid it on thick but not too thick, offering both her ring and jewellery, pulling on the heartstrings with the widow story, but making it known that they were more than willing to work for their keep, she hoped would bear fruit.

Quote from: Nira Said on February 20, 2021, 12:33:24 AM

[Inn - Western Town - Earth]

The Inn was run by a older woman... probably in her late 30s early 40s.  Her graying hair was tied up in a bun behind her, and she was dressed in browns and blacks.  The woman didn't seem to notice the two coming in, but the sob story did catch her attention, and she sighed.

"New ones, huh?" she said, looking the two over.  She looked at Nira and her gaze went up and down; apparently she caught her eye.  With a sigh, she took the ring, looking it over.

"Alright.. let's see how much that hubby of yours loved ya." she said, pulling out a small jewel eyepiece, and looking over the replicated metal.  She was stunned by the craftsmanship... it was practically perfect in every way!  Only some scuffs on the inside from wear, but the metal itself was just... perfect.

"I have never seen anything like this.  I am so sorry for your loss, dear.  He... must have been real special." she said, putting the eyepiece down.

"I'd feel bad for taking this from you, and I was remember when I was in your shoes.  I really shouldn't be doing this.. but we gals have to stick together, right?  So here's what I'll do.  I'll hold onto this as collateral, and get the two of you a room.  If y'all can earn the money for the room, I'll take that and hand this ring back over then." she said, opening her money safe and putting the ring in before closing it.  She then reached over and grabbed a key.

"Here... a number 5.  You can call me Miss Stone.  And since you two are new, here's some advice.  When the Sheriff calls, you answer.  And do not stare at him.  I can assure you clear as day he already knows you walked in.  I just pray that he's not the reason you found yourselves here.  Sometimes his associates are... eager." she said, handing the key over.

"Its up the stairs and down the left.  I'll let you get rested for now.  Just heed my words."

Tekin Nevir

Quote from: Don Damien Addams on February 22, 2021, 01:45:44 AM

[In the past on earth]

A small child was using a hammer as he was nailing wood together on a porch. The kid had no shoes on. He looked like he was not even twelve yet. There he was with a glass jar of nails. He was dirty from work. Man, he wanted to go over and tell the young boy go and play. He knew he could not say nothing.

Seeing children just reminds him that he has no kid of his own. That was something he had to work on. He knew he was the only child of his family. There was no thought having his own family. He even had not planned to fall in love with one wonderful lady. He even had not planned to marry when they thought they all gonna die. Here he was married with his wife for a year. It had not felt like it. But he was happy with a little unsure of things. He had to try to talk to Torra on the loss of the child or try again. It was a topic he would not want too but he knew they will have to some day. He knew it was not yet. Perhaps a few more months. Then would it be late. The thing he did not want to rush his wife.

The person on the horse stopped across the street. Leaped off the black horse, and tithed the reins on a railing. Then he walked into a store.

As they walked by two buildings Don saw clothes lines hanging between two buildings with clothes on them. That was odd they have their clothes hanging. It had to be drying.

"œI am glad we got past this. Hanging clothes. Children working," he said to Alex. "œYou ever had to do chores when your a kid?" He asked.  This was a great opportunity to get know the kid.

He was hoping the Captain was doing good in the game. In a way, he felt leaving the guy alone was not a good choice. But who would know they are from the future and what could happen? Anything can, but things go south. They would find a way out of it without doing harm.

They just had to be careful on what they say and what they do. Each moment counts. That what why he was trying to keep their conversation quiet away from people as he walked with Graham.

Now Nira and Luby alone was another thing. Two ladies alone in this time. He was hoping nothing go wrong with them as well. Heck, he had to stop it. This had to be from Torra. All he need now was some green veggie to nibble on.

Quote from: Alexander Graham on February 20, 2021, 11:41:15 PM

[olde town in a desert]

[Train station - Western Town - Earth]

The building itself was mostly done, and the sign above it finally revealed where they were.  Paradise, Arizona Territory. A flag showing a blue rectangle with sewn star, surrounded by alternating stripes of red and white, fluttered in the desert breeze.

There was still activity working, mostly on the platform for the tracks, as well as the tracks themselves.  Inside the building, the words POST adorned what looked like a guest services window, where a man worked behind the counter.  Another man was across from him at a window on the other side, and there were a few guys around looking over the building.

"You boys lookin' fer something?" said a voice behind them, and a man in leathers and a hat stood behind them, a scruffy face and sunburnt skin.  He had a bandolier across his chest, and a rifle on his back, while a hand rested on the butt of a revolver.

"Y'all seem new around here.  Best be careful."

Nira Said

Quote from: Luby Wentock on February 21, 2021, 10:25:10 AM

[The Inn]

Quote from: Tekin Nevir on February 22, 2021, 09:32:17 AM

[Inn - Western Town - Earth]

The Inn was run by a older woman... probably in her late 30s early 40s.  Her graying hair was tied up in a bun behind her, and she was dressed in browns and blacks.  The woman didn't seem to notice the two coming in, but the sob story did catch her attention, and she sighed.

"New ones, huh?" she said, looking the two over.  She looked at Nira and her gaze went up and down; apparently she caught her eye.  With a sigh, she took the ring, looking it over.

"Alright.. let's see how much that hubby of yours loved ya." she said, pulling out a small jewel eyepiece, and looking over the replicated metal.  She was stunned by the craftsmanship... it was practically perfect in every way!  Only some scuffs on the inside from wear, but the metal itself was just... perfect.

"I have never seen anything like this.  I am so sorry for your loss, dear.  He... must have been real special." she said, putting the eyepiece down.

"I'd feel bad for taking this from you, and I was remember when I was in your shoes.  I really shouldn't be doing this.. but we gals have to stick together, right?  So here's what I'll do.  I'll hold onto this as collateral, and get the two of you a room.  If y'all can earn the money for the room, I'll take that and hand this ring back over then." she said, opening her money safe and putting the ring in before closing it.  She then reached over and grabbed a key.

"Here... a number 5.  You can call me Miss Stone.  And since you two are new, here's some advice.  When the Sheriff calls, you answer.  And do not stare at him.  I can assure you clear as day he already knows you walked in.  I just pray that he's not the reason you found yourselves here.  Sometimes his associates are... eager." she said, handing the key over.

"Its up the stairs and down the left.  I'll let you get rested for now.  Just heed my words."

[Lieutenant Nira Said | Inn | Paradise | Arizona Territory | Earth | Late 19th Century]
Nira nodded and let the cadet take point. She was sure that some people outside the more shady areas in the past disapproved of "different." She could understand; her being "different" in being a telepath led her to leave her Earth home. She practically ran away, when she was old enough, to apply for the Academy.

Of course, Nira had no idea what Cadet Wentlock was referring to, but she was clearly referring to holo-programs. Nira never did programs that were Westerns, unless they involved a sort of mystery, but there were never any programs involving female sheriffs or deputies. The oldest setting of Earth she ever did were programs based on Agatha Christie stories, as well as the occasional Dixon Hill program, as long as she was helping out "Dix."

Nira was impressed at the way the Cadet used her earrings as collateral. She also began wondering what else the Computer replicated into the away suits. Nira remembered noticing, as she put the dress on before the away team departed, her blouse was lined on the inside by a small Afghan sari. She didn't get much further details beyond that, as she was focused on putting the dress on. She made a note to take a better look at it when she got a good moment.

Nira wasn't surprised that the innkeeper gave her a once-over. She'd been getting it since she came into town. She wondered if it was because her skin tone stood out among the tans and the lightish-pink skin tones of everybody else in town, as she hasn't seen any other skin tone so far. But when the innkeeper mentioned the Sheriff, that got Nira's interest.

The first was the significant advice not to stare at him. She remembered the grayish and/or scaly look on the nonhuman that walked through town. That had to be the Sheriff. And the way she talked about him, and the way she mentioned that he would already know of newcomers...unless he was a telepath on a unique kind of level (but hopefully not extending to the ultra-rare instance of telekinesis), there were bound to be hidden surveillance devices.

And the mention of his associates being eager...Nira hated to know. Remembering the grayish appearance, unless it was a new sort of alien hitherto unencountered, the only sort of people that covered gray and scaley were Jem'Hadar. It would be in character for, if somehow the Dominion ended up traveling back in time, the Jem'Hadar First would assume the role of Sheriff to keep order with an iron fist. And his associates would be eager enough to be violent. Bloodthirsty, yes. Greedy enough to resort to thievery, no. No Jem'Hadar, as far as anybody knew, would be thieves. And depending on how long they were, they wouldn't be so in control if supplies of Ketracel White were depleting. Unless it was just one, in which case the "associates" would be lawless deputies looking to spring on newcomers.

If one eliminated scales, the first race that came to mind was Remans, but again, it was a far-fetched conclusion; she reminded herself that Remans tolerated daylight as much as her fellow Arabs tolerated pork and anything pig-related.

Nira shook the thoughts from her mind. She had the impression the Sheriff was going to meet them sooner or later. Nira figured she'll know what kind of nonhuman he is when she gets a look at him, though she kept the innkeeper's advice to not stare.

"Thank you, Miss Stone," said Nira in her thick Arabian accent, taking the key. "Shall we check out our new accommodations, Miss Wentlock?"

She gestured for the cadet to follow and proceed to look for Room 5. In her looking casually around, she kept her eyes peeled for surveillance devices.

At one point, she leaned in and whispered very quietly to Luby, "Are you fine if I speak telepathically, Miss Wentlock? There's a distinct possibility that we're being watched...and so is Nefir, Don and Mister Graham."

She lowered her voice when she said "telepathically" in stressing it, just in case there were listening devices. She knew perfectly well to ask permission to use her telepathy, and the possibility of surveillance devices brought back memories of her first weeks on the Athena: when spies infiltrating the crew had places on the ship bugged. She knew to ask quietly for permission, because as much as telepathy would be a way to communicate silently, and therefore not give the conversation away, most people are uneasy about telepathy.

First Officer, Outpost Solaere
Betazoid
"Reading the mind can be like reading a book at times. Sometimes it is a lot more preferable to skim the pages, but one needs to immerse himself or herself totally into it to discover the truth, if necessary."
NPC: Savar

Don Damien Addams

Quote from: Tekin Nevir on February 22, 2021, 09:45:42 AM

[Train station - Western Town - Earth]

The building itself was mostly done, and the sign above it finally revealed where they were.  Paradise, Arizona Territory. A flag showing a blue rectangle with sewn star, surrounded by alternating stripes of red and white, fluttered in the desert breeze.

There was still activity working, mostly on the platform for the tracks, as well as the tracks themselves.  Inside the building, the words POST adorned what looked like a guest services window, where a man worked behind the counter.  Another man was across from him at a window on the other side, and there were a few guys around looking over the building.

"You boys lookin' fer something?" said a voice behind them, and a man in leathers and a hat stood behind them, a scruffy face and sunburnt skin.  He had a bandolier across his chest, and a rifle on his back, while a hand rested on the butt of a revolver.

"Y'all seem new around here.  Best be careful."

[Past Paradise, Arizona a town]

Don was trying to figure the paradise part of the sign. What he had observed that this was not a place to call paradise. Unless a cardassian might call it paradise. He was not sure.

Arizona was a state of the United States of America in 19th thru 22nd century, but he was believing this was before it was a union as one nation. Arizona was near California and Nira had mentioned she was far from the East and Lubes was from England. He was brought up in the east coast of America.

The folks working at the platform for train. There was no way the train could stop here for cargo and people. They must had heard a train that was near by. Possible it stop way down the tracks at another location like a small town. He could imagine how far sound could travel in the landscape. There was no big mountains, tall buildings or trees to block the noise.

Maybe inside they will know how one can get a job here. They walked in the building to see a man behind a counter. Then Don saw some individual looking over the building. He was not sure who they are but it seemed a little weird. They could be the workers of a train company or federal folk.

The traveler's body jerked as he heard the man who looked like he was man who worked all lot outside. The rifle on his back and the leathers stated he was security of the town. Was he the law?

He smiled to the well armed man who had his hand on his side piece. "œGood observation," He replied. He nodded his head. "œWe hit bad luck on the road there. Robbers got us by surprise." He was hoping this was coming out right. "œGot our horses and our supplies. We are lucky we where near by. And damn left us dry as this forbidden desert!" He sounded like he was angry and upset.

Then he looked at the post person behind the desk. "œI reckon this was a good start to see if we can get a job here. You know get back on our feet," he place his hands on the hip. "œHey. You know anything can help us?"

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.