S4:E6 - A Question of Integrity

Started by Ian Galloway, September 28, 2020, 12:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Briggs

[Kyle's quarters - Previous night]

Kyle had a drink when he got to his quarters before getting ready for bed. He couldn't help but to think about how soft Lisa's check had been when he kissed it. He wasn't sure what he was feeling and despite some of the glances he had seen from her, he didn't know what she was feeling and thinking.

"Oh well. There's plenty of time to see what happens next." he muttered as he stripped, showered and climbed into bed.

[End scene]

Landing Party

The beam in and the transportation to the signal source had been uneventful, which was a good thing in Kyle's eyes. The medical team had done an amazing job making them blend in with the locals so no one challenged their presence. With the source location now in site, they now needed to concentrate on a way to get in. Some of the others threw out ideas and now it was up to Kyle.

"No Mister Seo. They are most definitely not expecting us." Kyle answered with a grin. "I agree with Ruth. We need to find a spot to discreetly get a better scan and see how foot traffic works around that structure. We need to get inside without anyone trying to stop us or talk to us. The UT should take care of any communication issues but it would be better if we didn't have to interact with any of the locals." He nodded to another structure across the street way. "I've seen several people come out of that building with what looks like drinks. Let's go inside and order something while Ruth scans the signal."

They waited for the traffic to clear and made their way over to the "Coffee shop" Kyle had pointed out.

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret
[Sickbay - Corridor, prior to the make-over]

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on October 13, 2020, 08:19:02 AM

[Sickbay - Corridor, prior to the make-over]

Ruth blinked twice and then smiled. "I'm glad you're feeling that way, means we might get to be on a mission together at some point and, more importantly, that you're healing.  I know Dr. Vaughan helped you physically, but the mental scars are far more difficult to deal with, trust me, I know.  But we can get you on a few easier away missions to get your confidence up, maybe?"

The CSO grinned and nodded at the Sickbay doors.  "Time for my makeover baby, thanks for checking on Skye.  And remember I love you."

The Andorian's antenna perked at Ruth's parting words, and he wanted to express the same to her however the sickbay doors were opening now and his words could be easily heard by those within.  So instead Lahr went with a classic standby - a favored response from guys who weren't in touch with their romantic side.   "Ditto.

He stood there til the door shut again before turning to head to the Mess Hall.  Ruth's three little words had Lahr strutting down the corridor as he went to fetch his coffee.

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret
[Orbit around Zindi Moran - USS Challenger - Bridge]

Quote from: Ian Galloway on October 14, 2020, 12:23:15 PM

[Bridge - USS Challenger]

When Lahr made his report. Ian nodded absently as he replied even though the Andorian couldn't see him.

"Very good Mister ch'Verret, now comes the part that will never sit well with me. The bloody wait."

Lahr looked over his shoulder towards the Captain at Galloway's comment.  Hadn't they been waiting nearly an hour already?  Now that the team was on site, things should move along quicker, or so the Andorian hoped.

The notion that Klingon weaponry had been sold to one side of the pre-warp society, had Lahr pondering when such weaponry had been snuck over to the planet, and who would have done such?  Was it the Klingons themselves?  Doubtful.  The Ferengi?  Only if there was a profit to it.   Who else might benefit from such a situation?   Black market arms runners like Orions maybe..   But why risk dealing with a pre-warp society to sell such things.  The Federation didn't take kindly to those who messed with pre-warp planets.  Punishment for such were stiff.

With his thoughts focused on the illegal activity, Lahr tried to figure how and when such transactions would have taken place.   If it were Klingons... perhaps Ferengi..  they might be using cloak tech to move the weapons to the planet without being seen.

"Captain, permission to scan the Zindi Moran system for a cloaked ship?  If weapons are being brought in... whoever it is doing so is likely trying to keep off of Starfleet's standard longrange scans."

Authorization: Bravo Alpha Delta Alpha Sigma Sigma Six Niner
Lahr's Biography: Andorian chan (male). 5'7" (1.75m)  : Main character
NPC's Lt JG Chloe Davies (Human Female) / Crewman T'Varn (Vulcan transgender)

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on October 14, 2020, 09:24:58 PM

Landing Party

The beam in and the transportation to the signal source had been uneventful, which was a good thing in Kyle's eyes. The medical team had done an amazing job making them blend in with the locals so no one challenged their presence. With the source location now in site, they now needed to concentrate on a way to get in. Some of the others threw out ideas and now it was up to Kyle.

"No Mister Seo. They are most definitely not expecting us." Kyle answered with a grin. "I agree with Ruth. We need to find a spot to discreetly get a better scan and see how foot traffic works around that structure. We need to get inside without anyone trying to stop us or talk to us. The UT should take care of any communication issues but it would be better if we didn't have to interact with any of the locals." He nodded to another structure across the street way. "I've seen several people come out of that building with what looks like drinks. Let's go inside and order something while Ruth scans the signal."

They waited for the traffic to clear and made their way over to the "Coffee shop" Kyle had pointed out.

[City Centre - Coffee Shop]

After watching for a few moments to see how things went and make sure they weren't going to put their foot in it, Ruth spied a table clearing of people and dived for it holding it for the rest of them. It was useful in that it was by a window and offered a good view of the building they were scanning, so they could back up the tricorder readings with good old fashioned surveillance work.

"Make mine anything that looks vaguely like coffee, a flat white, or black whatever is 'normal', having been married to 'Mr. Coffee' I'm used to several types!, and grab something to eat if they do food.  For some reason I'm famished... and having some food gives us the excuse to stay longer." she said in a low voice.

"I'll grab this, you grab the drinks!" she said in a normal voice.  "I need to get this eyelash, grit or whatever it is, out of my eye anyhow!" she said by way of an excuse to be digging in her 'purse' aka using the tricorder, and slid into a seat.

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Ian Galloway

Quote from: ShranLahr ch'Verret on October 14, 2020, 11:40:11 PM

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Lahr looked over his shoulder towards the Captain at Galloway's comment.  Hadn't they been waiting nearly an hour already?  Now that the team was on site, things should move along quicker, or so the Andorian hoped.

The notion that Klingon weaponry had been sold to one side of the pre-warp society, had Lahr pondering when such weaponry had been snuck over to the planet, and who would have done such?  Was it the Klingons themselves?  Doubtful.  The Ferengi?  Only if there was a profit to it.   Who else might benefit from such a situation?   Black market arms runners like Orions maybe..   But why risk dealing with a pre-warp society to sell such things.  The Federation didn't take kindly to those who messed with pre-warp planets.  Punishment for such were stiff.

With his thoughts focused on the illegal activity, Lahr tried to figure how and when such transactions would have taken place.   If it were Klingons... perhaps Ferengi..  they might be using cloak tech to move the weapons to the planet without being seen.

"Captain, permission to scan the Zindi Moran system for a cloaked ship?  If weapons are being brought in... whoever it is doing so is likely trying to keep off of Starfleet's standard longrange scans."

Ian shrugged at Lahr's suggestion as whoever was bringing in these weapons had to know the consequences of being caught, it would be unlikely they'd be stupid enough to get caught easily, but you never know, sometimes you got lucky.

"Go right ahead Mister ch'Verret, I doubt you'll find anything, but you miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take. Just remember active scans might leave a trace the locals might detect, so keep your scans passive."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[TapCaf - Syrtis Major - Zindi Moran]

None of the locals seemed to notice the away team as it entered the busy establishment. Food seemed to be be largely grab and go, but there were tables all around for anyone that had the time to sit down to eat. The local hot beverage was a dark purple in color and was reminiscent of boiled beets in flavor. Meat seemed to be uncommon, but there were many cheese analogs and even more types of bread.

T'eala

[TapCaf - Syrtis Major - Zindi Moran]

None of the locals seemed to notice the away team as it entered the busy establishment. Food seemed to be be largely grab and go, but there were tables all around for anyone that had the time to sit down to eat. The local hot beverage was a dark purple in color and was reminiscent of boiled beets in flavor. Meat seemed to be uncommon, but there were many cheese analogs and even more types of bread.

T'eala's interest peaked at the examination of the differing foods the eatery had on display. One of the many gifts of charting the stars for a living involved alien cuisine. "This is going to be a toss up." She conferred in a low voice, playing up her temporary role as a patron.

After watching for a few moments to see how things went and make sure they weren't going to put their foot in it, Ruth spied a table clearing of people and dived for it holding it for the rest of them. It was useful in that it was by a window and offered a good view of the building they were scanning, so they could back up the tricorder readings with good old fashioned surveillance work.

"Make mine anything that looks vaguely like coffee, a flat white, or black whatever is 'normal', having been married to 'Mr. Coffee' I'm used to several types!, and grab something to eat if they do food.  For some reason I'm famished... and having some food gives us the excuse to stay longer." she said in a low voice.

"I'll grab this, you grab the drinks!" she said in a normal voice. "I need to get this eyelash, grit or whatever it is, out of my eye anyhow!" she said by way of an excuse to be digging in her 'purse' aka using the tricorder, and slid into a seat.

It wasn't hard to find a seat. For the most part the exchanges erred on the mobile side of transactions. There was an apparent circulation of flow with the comings in and out of the different Morani patrons. Her attention fell on to the multitudes of their orders, seeing the primary serve being the steaming warm, dark drink. "Here's hoping they have cream and sugar." She mused under her breath.

Mondo'li Nari

USS Challenger - Bridge

Mondo was at once honored and mortified that it was the Captain's own hand that brought the beverage to him.  He had already been bold enough to ask a senior enlisted man for the drink.  For the Captain to carry it over was beyond reckoning.  In Hupyrian culture, a Servant served by a Master was either being given a great honor or a great insult, depending on circumstance.  In Mondo's case, his sworn master was the Federation, by the medium of Starfleet.  But still, it was quite a thing.

He accepted the beverage with a bowed head, unable to actually articulate the thanks he should have offered in return.

Once the Captain departed, he sipped the cup reverentially.

When Lahr suggested scanning for cloaked vessels, and the Captain agreed, Mondo sent a silent text message to Lahr's console.

Some smugglers use energy-sheathing hull materials, and park by magnetic poles.  Are best detected by taking note of missing background objects, like obscured stars.

He did not mention that 'some smugglers' also meant 'a lot of Ferengi smugglers.'  Orions and others also, of course.  But it was via the Ferengi that Mondo had learned of the technique.

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Quote from: Ian Galloway on October 15, 2020, 01:08:32 PM

Ian shrugged at Lahr's suggestion as whoever was bringing in these weapons had to know the consequences of being caught, it would be unlikely they'd be stupid enough to get caught easily, but you never know, sometimes you got lucky.

"Go right ahead Mister ch'Verret, I doubt you'll find anything, but you miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take. Just remember active scans might leave a trace the locals might detect, so keep your scans passive."

Quote from: Mondo'li Nari on October 16, 2020, 01:23:11 AM

USS Challenger - Bridge

When Lahr suggested scanning for cloaked vessels, and the Captain agreed, Mondo sent a silent text message to Lahr's console.

Some smugglers use energy-sheathing hull materials, and park by magnetic poles.  Are best detected by taking note of missing background objects, like obscured stars.

He did not mention that 'some smugglers' also meant 'a lot of Ferengi smugglers.'  Orions and others also, of course.  But it was via the Ferengi that Mondo had learned of the technique.

Lahr nodded at the Captain's reminder of just using passive sensors to look for the various tell-tale signs that have been associated with cloaked ships in the past.  Gravimetric discrepancies, tachyons, unexplained emissions, voids and distortions were all possible means of spotting the less advanced versions of the cloaking tech.

"Yes sir.  I'll be sure to only use passive sensors."

His reply was followed up by a ping from his console and Lahr glanced down to see Mondo's text.  The Andorian looked across the Bridge to the tactical station and gave the Hupyrian a nod.

Earlier he'd seen how much Mondo appreciated the coffee and so planned to make 'the coffee run' a regular occurrence when working the Bridge.    Black Chai for the Captain,  black coffee for Mondo...  Lahr looked then to the Helm.  He wondered what beverage Litt would take?

As he considered the various drinks he'd seen the man have, Lahr set to adjusting the a few of the sensors (those not needed to keep tabs on the away team) to do begin searching the areas near the poles... as Mondo had suggested. 

Ian Galloway

Quote from: ShranLahr ch'Verret on October 17, 2020, 02:03:21 AM

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Lahr nodded at the Captain's reminder of just using passive sensors to look for the various tell-tale signs that have been associated with cloaked ships in the past.  Gravimetric discrepancies, tachyons, unexplained emissions, voids and distortions were all possible means of spotting the less advanced versions of the cloaking tech.

"Yes sir.  I'll be sure to only use passive sensors."

His reply was followed up by a ping from his console and Lahr glanced down to see Mondo's text.  The Andorian looked across the Bridge to the tactical station and gave the Hupyrian a nod.

Earlier he'd seen how much Mondo appreciated the coffee and so planned to make 'the coffee run' a regular occurrence when working the Bridge.    Black Chai for the Captain,  black coffee for Mondo...  Lahr looked then to the Helm.  He wondered what beverage Litt would take?

As he considered the various drinks he'd seen the man have, Lahr set to adjusting the a few of the sensors (those not needed to keep tabs on the away team) to do begin searching the areas near the poles... as Mondo had suggested.

As Lahr began his scans, his suggestion got Ian to thinking and that reminded him to follow up on something Mondo had mentioned.

"Mister Nari, while Mister ch'Verret is lookin' for ghosts. I'd like you ta use the lateral sensors ta scan this planet for anything that might be of value like dilithium, latinum, or any other commodity that would make interferin' on this planet worthwhile. I get the weapons market is a lucrative business, but it would take the slimiest bugger ever born ta risk the Federation's wrath ta smuggle modern weapons ta a pre-warp society. I want ta know what is so special about this planet that someone did so."

Mondo'li Nari

USS Challenger - Bridge

Mondo nodded and leaned in to his console.   "Aye, Sir."

It would probably have been difficult to find someone less suited to performing such a scan anywhere on the bridge, but Mondo realized that was often the point of such orders.  The Captain had to sometimes assign tasks to officers with little experience in performing the desired operation.  Otherwise, the experience would never be acquired.  No officer could ever hope to grow unless they were pushed to test their limits.

As such, he set himself to the task.  Here, he was fortunate to be working on a Federation starship of Starfleet.  There were many databases, programs, and sophisticated artificial intelligences to help him to perform any task.  He pulled up Science subroutines and began running scans within his console's Tactical overlay.  The scans had to be passive, which limited the detail they could provide.

Once he had the results, he passed the data through matching routines designed to associate the data to patterns of significance.  One item was highlighted by the computer.

"Sir, the scans indicate a high bacquerel density in one of the largest continent's mountain ranges.  This would seem to indicate a large quantity of radioactive particle decay.   According to the ship's computer, the pattern of Beta radiation is suggestive of large Pergium deposits close to the surface."

He pulled up a cross-reference database and continued, "Pergium is known to be used in sophisticated atomic fusion reactors.  Pellets of Pergium have a lower fusion threshold than deuterium, and their radioactive byproducts are easily shielded against, even by thin sheets of aluminum.  This makes their use in high energy, lightweight fusion power systems desirable.  However, that is not the only use of the material.  It is also useful in the biofilters and carbon conversion units of environmental systems.  There is pergium used in the filters of most Starfleet ships, in fact, both to scrub carbon dioxide and to eliminate unwanted micro-organisms from the atmosphere.

Pergium's radioactive nature and complex atomic structure makes it difficult to replicate.  2500% more energy is required to assemble its atoms than can be derived from its use in power generation.  This is why it is still mined, and not replicated from matter banks.  It is much more efficient to extract and refine the element than to replicate it."

Mondo swiveled in his chair as a thought occurred to him.

"Captain, the Mountain range in question appears to be in a contested region between the two powers.  What if someone is supplying one side of this war with advanced weaponry in exchange for a mining agreement granting them access to the Pergium-rich mountains, once the war is won?"

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Quote from: Ian Galloway on October 17, 2020, 09:42:03 AM

As Lahr began his scans, his suggestion got Ian to thinking and that reminded him to follow up on something Mondo had mentioned.

"Mister Nari, while Mister ch'Verret is lookin' for ghosts. I'd like you ta use the lateral sensors ta scan this planet for anything that might be of value like dilithium, latinum, or any other commodity that would make interferin' on this planet worthwhile. I get the weapons market is a lucrative business, but it would take the slimiest bugger ever born ta risk the Federation's wrath ta smuggle modern weapons ta a pre-warp society. I want ta know what is so special about this planet that someone did so."

Studying passive sensor readings, looking for something that the computer might have missed, was a real boring task.  Especially for the Andorian.  His attention span wasn't always the greatest - especially when results were not immediate... which seemed to be the case for this task.

At one point he thought he might have a hit... a possible ion trail... but the readings were so diffuse that either it was really really old.. or perhaps had drifted into the system from elsewhere.  As such Lahr hesitated mentioning the faint reading when they were first found.  He catalogued it and continued on sifting through more sensor readings - hoping to find something more conclusive.

Mondo seemed to have better luck than him, with his passive readings of the planet and it seemed that the Hupyrian might have indeed found why the planet was being interfered with.   The question now was... who?  Who was bringing in the Klingon weaponry? 

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: T'eala Ren on October 15, 2020, 06:09:35 PM

T'eala's interest peaked at the examination of the differing foods the eatery had on display. One of the many gifts of charting the stars for a living involved alien cuisine. "This is going to be a toss up." She conferred in a low voice, playing up her temporary role as a patron.

It wasn't hard to find a seat. For the most part the exchanges erred on the mobile side of transactions. There was an apparent circulation of flow with the comings in and out of the different Morani patrons. Her attention fell on to the multitudes of their orders, seeing the primary serve being the steaming warm, dark drink. "Here's hoping they have cream and sugar." She mused under her breath.

['Coffeeshop', City Centre, Planetside]

Ruth eyed the others and saw T'eala looking somewhat ... well she wasn't sure what the look was, a cross between suspicion and interest?.. at the offerings, the CSO hoped that what Kyle and co brought her would be palatable.  'Mind you,..' she thought to herself '...if I can eat live several varieties of live gagh... I can eat anything!'

She fished in her 'handbag' tuning in the scan on her tricorder, constantly muttering under her breath a cover 'story' of "...now where is that darn thing, I know I had one in here somewhere, and it doesn't help having to have one eye shut..." and pulled out a cotton handkerchief once everything was running correctly, she left the bag slightly open on the bench like padded seat (like a booth in a diner) so that whomever shuffled in beside her could also see the readings.  She wished that watches were more commonplace since if they had smart watches all the readings could have been sent to the watches and since they had all kinds of displays... it would have seemed more normal!

Ruth proceeded to dab at her eye, inadvertently poking herself genuinely in the process causing her eye to water even more convincingly than her amateur dramatic practice in crying on cue had had her trickling the odd tear down her cheek at intervals.

"Bugger!" she said almost too loudly when she did so, "...this eye is so sore now!"

She was missing Lahr, if she did have a bit of grit in her eye she wished he was there to take it out, and she was happy that he seemed to be getting over his phobia of away missions.  She would have liked him to be on this mission, it would be assurance, and potentially give them leave to be more familiar with one another even while on duty since they could be 'playing' a couple as part of their cover.  But she was right with one thing, blue skin and antennae, however skilled Lisa was at cosmetic surgery, was going to be rather difficult in the time that they had to prepare.  If they knew like a day in advance that they were going to 'x' and needed a team to go undercover... that could be a job for Lahr.  It would be strange to see him anything but in his present state!

Sighing, but the tears coming genuinely now for missing her man, it gave the perfect cover for the eye story which in turn was giving her cover for raking in her handbag every so often checking the scans while 'looking for something to sort out the eye'.  She just hoped that none of the locals were overly motherly or concerned for her and came over to see if they could comfort her.

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Mondo'li Nari on October 18, 2020, 01:55:10 AM

USS Challenger - Bridge

Mondo nodded and leaned in to his console.   "Aye, Sir."

It would probably have been difficult to find someone less suited to performing such a scan anywhere on the bridge, but Mondo realized that was often the point of such orders.  The Captain had to sometimes assign tasks to officers with little experience in performing the desired operation.  Otherwise, the experience would never be acquired.  No officer could ever hope to grow unless they were pushed to test their limits.

As such, he set himself to the task.  Here, he was fortunate to be working on a Federation starship of Starfleet.  There were many databases, programs, and sophisticated artificial intelligences to help him to perform any task.  He pulled up Science subroutines and began running scans within his console's Tactical overlay.  The scans had to be passive, which limited the detail they could provide.

Once he had the results, he passed the data through matching routines designed to associate the data to patterns of significance.  One item was highlighted by the computer.

"Sir, the scans indicate a high bacquerel density in one of the largest continent's mountain ranges.  This would seem to indicate a large quantity of radioactive particle decay.   According to the ship's computer, the pattern of Beta radiation is suggestive of large Pergium deposits close to the surface."

He pulled up a cross-reference database and continued, "Pergium is known to be used in sophisticated atomic fusion reactors.  Pellets of Pergium have a lower fusion threshold than deuterium, and their radioactive byproducts are easily shielded against, even by thin sheets of aluminum.  This makes their use in high energy, lightweight fusion power systems desirable.  However, that is not the only use of the material.  It is also useful in the biofilters and carbon conversion units of environmental systems.  There is pergium used in the filters of most Starfleet ships, in fact, both to scrub carbon dioxide and to eliminate unwanted micro-organisms from the atmosphere.

Pergium's radioactive nature and complex atomic structure makes it difficult to replicate.  2500% more energy is required to assemble its atoms than can be derived from its use in power generation.  This is why it is still mined, and not replicated from matter banks.  It is much more efficient to extract and refine the element than to replicate it."

Mondo swiveled in his chair as a thought occurred to him.

"Captain, the Mountain range in question appears to be in a contested region between the two powers.  What if someone is supplying one side of this war with advanced weaponry in exchange for a mining agreement granting them access to the Pergium-rich mountains, once the war is won?"

Ian stroked his chin as Mondo made his report and he stood to pace slowly across the bridge after he was done.

"Pergium. Interestin'. Nae the most valuable commodity in the quadrant, but valuable enough ta the right people. Thank you Mister Nari, you have likely given us the 'why' of what is goin' on here, now we need ta learn the who. Hopefully, the away team can answer that question. Otherwise, we will have ta hope Mister ch'Verret gets lucky enough ta find someone makin' a covert delivery."

Kyle Briggs

['Coffee shop, Planet side]

Kyle had noticed the way that Ruth had situated her bag and he slid into the seat next to her so he too could get a look at the scans. The signal they were tracking was definitely in the building directly across the road way and it appeared to be coming from the seventh level of a twelve level structure. This just meant they had to get to the center of the building to get to the signal. He turned his attention to Ruth and quietly spoke.

"So this is the signal that we received asking us for help and telling us that someone was providing weapons for the other side, yes?" he asked.

Once she replied, he continued. "And what are we suppose to do with the signal?" he said with a bit of a general attitude. Not toward her herself but the situation itself. He still felt that they shouldn't be here and interfering. "If we need to be here, I at least think it would make more since for us to be on the other side of this grudge and trying to identify who is supplying said weapons."

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Quote from: Ian Galloway on October 18, 2020, 06:48:44 PM

Ian stroked his chin as Mondo made his report and he stood to pace slowly across the bridge after he was done.

"Pergium. Interestin'. Nae the most valuable commodity in the quadrant, but valuable enough ta the right people. Thank you Mister Nari, you have likely given us the 'why' of what is goin' on here, now we need ta learn the who. Hopefully, the away team can answer that question. Otherwise, we will have ta hope Mister ch'Verret gets lucky enough ta find someone makin' a covert delivery."

Despite his need to keep his attention on the sensor readings,  Lahr couldn't help but be overly aware of the Captain slowly pacing across the bridge.  Inwardly, the Andorian was reminded of another superior who liked to pace.  Between the two, Lahr preferred the Scot over the Romulan.  Galloway's pacing seemed as if he just needed movement to think rather than like he was stalking the Andorian.

Galloway summarized Mondo's discovery of the situation perfectly.  They knew the where and why.  Lahr just hoped preferred that the away team discovered the who, what, and how.

"I'll do my best, sir."

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on October 19, 2020, 09:30:25 PM

['Coffee shop, Planet side]

Kyle had noticed the way that Ruth had situated her bag and he slid into the seat next to her so he too could get a look at the scans. The signal they were tracking was definitely in the building directly across the road way and it appeared to be coming from the seventh level of a twelve level structure. This just meant they had to get to the center of the building to get to the signal. He turned his attention to Ruth and quietly spoke.

"So this is the signal that we received asking us for help and telling us that someone was providing weapons for the other side, yes?" he asked.

Once she replied, he continued. "And what are we suppose to do with the signal?" he said with a bit of a general attitude. Not toward her herself but the situation itself. He still felt that they shouldn't be here and interfering. "If we need to be here, I at least think it would make more since for us to be on the other side of this grudge and trying to identify who is supplying said weapons."

['Coffee shop', Planet side]

When Kyle slid in beside her, Ruth grinned and joked "Come here often?!" a bit of the old banter between them from many years of serving together.  "Yup that's it. Is that what passes for coffee around here?" she said indicating the mug on the table.  "Oh well, I'm sure I've had worse!"

Kyle's ruminations about the signal had her thinking.  "Well I have my own thoughts about that.  Yes I don't like the idea of interfering any more than you do... but since people already have.  Now I'm going with two schools of thought.  Either, it is someone genuinely wanting help, or..."

She picked the drink up, had a swig and pulled a face both at the heat that almost scalded her tongue and the taste.  "I take it back, never had worse!" she said with a wry grin.

"...Orrrrr... it's the people that are supplying the weapons luring us into a trap and trying to get the Federation to take the fall for this.  But could be a number of reasons but they present to me the most likely situations.  I did a bit of investigating while you were getting the coffee, general public can come and go freely on the first 3 levels of that building, after that we need passes, nothing electronically locked just you know like 'visitor' passes.  But it transpires that they are hiring, again could be part of a trap, but you know gets us in there with a valid excuse... and the interviews are today, have to fill in a form at main reception on the ground floor, and then we'll be taken up to a waiting room on the 5th floor."

The former Captain mused with a glint in her eye.  "While I'm not sure all of us should go to the bathroom together, we are two women... and we always go to the toilet in pairs so I'm told, and two guys, they seem go around together too, so we can find excuses to leave that room and find a staircase or elevator up, we have the visitor passes genuinely, and if anyone challenges us then we 'made a wrong turning trying to get back from the toilet' which conveniently isn't on the same floor, there's one on each of the floors above or below! What do you say we go and apply for the jobs?  I've got a few Resumes worked up on my PADD for you... I just used a pro forma and merged the info from some employee records of another company down here I found... I'm not just a pretty face!"

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.