S4:E5 - Die letzte Grenze

Started by Ian Galloway, August 11, 2020, 12:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Ian Galloway on September 13, 2020, 11:43:30 AM

[Bridge - USS Challenger]

Ian nodded at Ruth's response and his expression became more 'official' when she mentioned her injury before he replied kindly.

"Then perhaps Commander, now would be a good time ta nip down ta sickbay and have yourself checked out. We should have no but runnin' for the exit for the next four days and we'll need you sharp when we get there. And that reminds me."

He stepped over to the command chair and taped 'shipwide'.

"All hands, this is the Captain speakin'. We have disabled the two German ships that had challenged us and are now en route ta a means out of this dimension. As we are in Beta shift, Alpha shift will stand down and all personnel will return ta normal rotation. We will reach our destination in just under four days. Please stay alert and be prepared for... complications as we know there are several German ships that will be able ta intercept us before we can set the conditions ta return home. Carry on."

Ian then addressed the bridge as the Beta shift personnel arrived.

"Okay everyone, you are free ta go, except for you Commander Sigurdsdottir, you will be free when the doctor says you are free. I, for one, am headed ta The Lounge for a bit and then a kip. See you in the mornin'."

"Thank you, Captain, I'll do that!" Ruth replied with a small smile.  Having had brain cancer removed by Dr. Caleb Brighton, when it came to her head she didn't take chances.

Quote from: ShranLahr ch'Verret on September 14, 2020, 04:34:39 AM

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret
[USS Challenger - Deck One - Bridge - afterbattle]

Lahr's antennae twitched when the Captain ordered Ruth to Sickbay... though it was more that the Andorian was upset at himself at not seeing that she wasn't feeling well.

"Commander, if you aren't feeling 100%... I'll walk you to the Sickbay."

He was likely adding more fuel to people's suspicions about them but he couldn't just leave her go on her own.  What if medic's earlier had missed something serious?  She had struck her head rather hard.

Lahr waited at the turbolift for the Commander after they were dismissed.

Joining Lahr she said formally "Thank you Petty Officer, that is most kind! Deffo not 100%,  I do feel a little wobbly.  It's the maths I'm sure, always did make my head hurt!" she added with a grin to make the Andorian worry a little less.  She'd always said if she still had a sense of humour she was fine.

Once they were alone in the lift she started to chuckle.  The CSO had just remembered something.

"I don't know if I ever told you, I had brain cancer - don't worry, it was removed and totally taken care of by Dr. Caleb Brighton when I was on the USS Athena.  What made me giggle was that I was sort of involved with an Andorian Engineer at the time.  He was thaan tho, I don't know if that makes a difference.  We never... you know.  I say 'sort of involved' cuz he was more often stuck in a Jefferies tube doing 'diagnostics' than wanting to spend time with me." she added sadly.

Putting a hand to her temple she said "This really is sore but I suspect I just need some painkillers, rest and a dose of 'Blue'!" she said with a smile.

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Vasilisa Belmont

Quote from: Ian Galloway on September 13, 2020, 10:08:17 AM

[Sickbay - USS Challenger]

NPC - Lieutenant T'Kel

Sitting up in her biobed, the elegant woman arched an eyebrow in classic Vulcan fashion as she regarded Lisa. She canted her head slightly as if searching for words before replying in a very tightly controlled tone.

"I do not mean to be derogatory Doctor, but if I had to describe what I felt as we transited the vortex, I believe I understood for a moment what it was like to be a human. I was assaulted by a wave of emotions and memories in a chaotic fashion that I image life must be like for you on a daily basis. The experience was so intensely powerful that is completely overwhelmed my ability to control them with logic. I believe it was at that moment that in an effort to protect itself, my cerebral cortex shut down to spare me the embarrassment and injury from such a catastrophic mental battery."

T'Kel became quiet for a moment before asking.

"Based on your inquiry, am I to understand that the vortex transited us to another dimension?"

Quote from: Ian Galloway on September 13, 2020, 11:43:30 AM

Ian nodded at Ruth's response and his expression became more 'official' when she mentioned her injury before he replied kindly.

"Then perhaps Commander, now would be a good time ta nip down ta sickbay and have yourself checked out. We should have no but runnin' for the exit for the next four days and we'll need you sharp when we get there. And that reminds me."

He stepped over to the command chair and taped 'shipwide'.

"All hands, this is the Captain speakin'. We have disabled the two German ships that had challenged us and are now en route ta a means out of this dimension. As we are in Beta shift, Alpha shift will stand down and all personnel will return ta normal rotation. We will reach our destination in just under four days. Please stay alert and be prepared for... complications as we know there are several German ships that will be able ta intercept us before we can set the conditions ta return home. Carry on."

Ian then addressed the bridge as the Beta shift personnel arrived.

"Okay everyone, you are free ta go, except for you Commander Sigurdsdottir, you will be free when the doctor says you are free. I, for one, am headed ta The Lounge for a bit and then a kip. See you in the mornin'."

Quote from: Ian Galloway on September 14, 2020, 04:41:31 PM

[The Lounge --> Captain's Quarters]

Ian entered the ship's most social meeting place and ordered a single malt scotch. He took up a seat in an unobtrusive section of the lounge. He didn't want to intrude on the crew's downtime, so he kept silent and crowd watched. Once he'd downed his drink, he quietly slipped out and headed for his quarters. When he entered, he was overwhelmed by fatigue and turned in early.

As the days dragged by, the Challenger sped on for the coordinates given them by Grenig with sensors tracking eight ships that would be able to converge at the exit point. The crew returned to normal operations and were bolstered by the return of the Vulcans to duty.

As the Challenger continued on, it was clear that returning to her own dimension was going to be difficult and would involve a major confrontation with the German fleet.

[Sickbay - USS Challenger]

It had been in interesting couple of days to say the least. Once T'Kel had been able to explain what had happened to her, Lisa realized that there really wasn't anything she could do besides the massaging Jemason had tried, and anything else that would keep the Vulcans calm.They each woke up in their own time, based on how much emotional trauma each one had experienced and the nature of how each of their bodies handled it. Once the last one was sent to their quarters for rest before returning to duty, (with strict instructions involving consequences if they refused to comply) the captain's order came over the comms. Lisa waited a few minutes for any last patients to make their appearance, then she looked around for the ensign she'd been working with and sort of took under her wing. She didn't mind, of course. He was a good doctor and did well under pressure. Not many quite like that on her team besides Chloe.

"Ensign Seo," she got his attention, raising her arms to stretch as she yawned. As she walked closer to him she could still feel the blush swelling over her cheeks at her rather unprofessional behavior. She was off duty, why couldn't she lose the decorum? "Care to join me in the Lounge? I'll try to keep work talk to a minimum." She realized it was a weird question, but she'd looked around and there was barely anyone left in sickbay anyway. The minute Galloway gives them time off they practically run to the turbolift. The novice, fast becoming competent ensign remained. She'd looked for company on the ship before and though she was tired as all get-out, there was one right in front of her. 

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret
[USS Challenger - Turbolift - afterbattle]

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on September 15, 2020, 07:55:49 AM

"Thank you, Captain, I'll do that!" Ruth replied with a small smile.  Having had brain cancer removed by Dr. Caleb Brighton, when it came to her head she didn't take chances.

Joining Lahr she said formally "Thank you Petty Officer, that is most kind! Deffo not 100%,  I do feel a little wobbly.  It's the maths I'm sure, always did make my head hurt!" she added with a grin to make the Andorian worry a little less.  She'd always said if she still had a sense of humour she was fine.

Once they were alone in the lift she started to chuckle.  The CSO had just remembered something.

"I don't know if I ever told you, I had brain cancer - don't worry, it was removed and totally taken care of by Dr. Caleb Brighton when I was on the USS Athena.  What made me giggle was that I was sort of involved with an Andorian Engineer at the time.  He was thaan tho, I don't know if that makes a difference.  We never... you know.  I say 'sort of involved' cuz he was more often stuck in a Jefferies tube doing 'diagnostics' than wanting to spend time with me." she added sadly.

Putting a hand to her temple she said "This really is sore but I suspect I just need some painkillers, rest and a dose of 'Blue'!" she said with a smile.

When the turbolift doors closed, Lahr anticipated Ruth sharing with him some private talk especially as she began to chuckle.   However, he hadn't expected the statement of her previous medical condition, and it showed on his face and with the surprised lift of his antenna.

"Brain cancer?"   It took a second for Lahr to place the medical term.  He'd thought that cancers of all varieties had been all but eliminated.  He looked to Ruth in concern... as she continued on explaining that he needn't worry that the cancer had been removed and her treatment successful.

"I didn't realize...." he began to respond in a quiet, almost subdued voice - his antenna drooping believing that her words meant that there might be some complication from her blow to the head that might have re-triggered her brain cancer.

However, in true Ruth-fashion she continued on, likely having not heard him, and shared with him knowledge about her former relationship with another Andorian.  His antenna shot up.  What?!  He wasn't her first 'blue man'?  He knew Ruth had relationships in the past.  Hell, she was a widow.  But that one of her past relationships was an Andorian.. a thaan at that somehow struck a sour chord in him.  He'd thought himself as special. Though it helped somewhat to know that the other relationship hadn't been physical.   "His loss."

Yet Lahr still smiled when Ruth put forward her suggested 'treatment' of a dose of 'Blue'  "I see... well I can possibly help with that... after we get you to Sickbay."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret
[USS Challenger -  days later]

Quote from: Ian Galloway on September 14, 2020, 04:41:31 PM

As the days dragged by, the Challenger sped on for the coordinates given them by Grenig with sensors tracking eight ships that would be able to converge at the exit point. The crew returned to normal operations and were bolstered by the return of the Vulcans to duty.

As the Challenger continued on, it was clear that returning to her own dimension was going to be difficult and would involve a major confrontation with the German fleet.

Because Burke and the others had their suspicions all but confirmed, Lahr thought he would be given more leeway from his friends about missed get togethers.  But no, Burke was, if anything, more determined to keep Lahr occupied after work with group outings.

"Lahr, the gang is meeting for a Nintendo night.  You gotta be there."

"Yo Lahr, we're getting together at the Lounge for a few drinks.  Just us guys."

"Hey bud, some of us are getting together to set up a parrises squares league on the ship.  I've got zh'Tianihr and Tragnar... with you... we'd have a winning team.  What do you say?"

Yet while his immediate after work time was being kept occupied by his 'overprotective' friends, Lahr tried to make time daily for Ruth - outside the bedroom and the bridge.   When invited to Nintendo night,  Lahr extended the invite to Litt, Ruth and the rest of the Bridge staff.   There were enough tables at Luigi's Pizzeria to be able to invite them all.  Hell, he even the invited Captain.   Lahr thought it would be amusing to have side pool going on as to which character Galloway would pick if he showed.   Lahr had his money on Samus. 

Authorization: Bravo Alpha Delta Alpha Sigma Sigma Six Niner
Lahr's Biography: Andorian chan (male). 5'7" (1.75m)  : Main character
NPC's Lt JG Chloe Davies (Human Female) / Crewman T'Varn (Vulcan transgender)

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: ShranLahr ch'Verret on September 16, 2020, 01:16:09 AM

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

When the turbolift doors closed, Lahr anticipated Ruth sharing with him some private talk especially as she began to chuckle.   However, he hadn't expected the statement of her previous medical condition, and it showed on his face and with the surprised lift of his antenna.

"Brain cancer?"   It took a second for Lahr to place the medical term.  He'd thought that cancers of all varieties had been all but eliminated.  He looked to Ruth in concern... as she continued on explaining that he needn't worry that the cancer had been removed and her treatment successful.

"I didn't realize...." he began to respond in a quiet, almost subdued voice - his antenna drooping believing that her words meant that there might be some complication from her blow to the head that might have re-triggered her brain cancer.

However, in true Ruth-fashion she continued on, likely having not heard him, and shared with him knowledge about her former relationship with another Andorian.  His antenna shot up.  What?!  He wasn't her first 'blue man'?  He knew Ruth had relationships in the past.  Hell, she was a widow.  But that one of her past relationships was an Andorian.. a thaan at that somehow struck a sour chord in him.  He'd thought himself as special. Though it helped somewhat to know that the other relationship hadn't been physical.   "His loss."

Yet Lahr still smiled when Ruth put forward her suggested 'treatment' of a dose of 'Blue'  "I see... well I can possibly help with that... after we get you to Sickbay."

[Turbolift en route to Sickbay]

Ruth saw the 'Dance of the Antennae' as she privately called the almost semaphore movements of Lahr's antennae, and pursed her lips.

"Sweet darling Lahr, first... it was a growth which was causing more problems because of where it was... pressing on my brain stem.  It was causing a lot of migraines and had I not met the 90 year old mirror-verse version of myself who told the rather useless so called Andorian 'boyfriend'..."

She framed the word boyfriend with air quotes, she was about to elaborate on that in due course.

"...that he had to look out for me and even the slightest headache, get it checked out, and this being overheard by Caleb... well I might not be here.  As it happens the ancient version of me and him were more in love than me and the current day version ever were, we didn't get a chance to be."

The redhead then addressed the 'problem' of the jealousy she'd detected in Lahr.

"As for me and my so called previous Andorian boyfriend.  I guess I've always been attracted to Andorians.  However, 'boyfriend' was a very loose term.  When he first came to the Athena we were thrown together a lot in various away missions, me being the CSO and he a very capable engineer. And rather like my mother when Halgur picked me daisies when I was 5 and walked me to school every morning, she called him my 'boyfriend', and 'Auntie' Magda his mother called me his girlfriend.  There honestly wasn't anything in this so called relationship.  It started because he practically saved my life once and as a thank you I went to kiss him on the cheek, someone called his name and he turned and the kiss landed on his lips... people saw, and for a while we thought it would be interesting to see how it went.  It didn't go anywhere.  I personally think he was scared of me... or the axes maybe!  I can't even remember his name that's how 'important' he was to me... he wasn't.  Lift stop!"

She stopped the lift and pulled Lahr into a smouldering embrace.  If there had been any more passion in her kiss they would have set the lift on fire.

"You are my blue man, you're the only one I've ever called 'My blue man', there's only ever been four men in my life romantically - Kaspar who was the one that my father said I couldn't marry which led me to leaving home and joining Starfleet, to stop him marrying me to the lout next door, then a Caitian briefly who's radar I didn't even feature on... I would have moved heaven and earth for him, but he didn't even notice me... it wasn't a relationship so much as an infatuation on my part!  Then Will... whom you know about..." she took a moment as it still caused a pang of loss whenever she heard his name.  She might have already been in love with Lahr when she married Will, but he'd been her best friend and it was a sad loss to her still.

"...and finally you.  A chance to finally be happy.  With a man who is the only one since Kaspar back when I was 15-17 who reciprocates my love, satisfies me not just in bed, and makes me the happiest woman alive. The man who I crossed half a universe to be with on my own and if Lizzie hadn't helped get me back here I would have risked my commission and quit Starfleet to be a civilian to be with.  Got that?  You are more important than my career... and you know how I feel about my career, Starfleet and the Federation.  They are or were my life, now you are.  There is only 2 things that I would drop everything for other than you, and you've put your reputation and career on the line for them too... the twins.  Now... I really do have a headache, could I get it sorted and then we can have that alternative medicine in the form of a 'dose of Blue'!"

"Computer, resume lift!"

Quote from: ShranLahr ch'Verret on September 16, 2020, 01:16:09 AM

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Because Burke and the others had their suspicions all but confirmed, Lahr thought he would be given more leeway from his friends about missed get togethers.  But no, Burke was, if anything, more determined to keep Lahr occupied after work with group outings.

"Lahr, the gang is meeting for a Nintendo night.  You gotta be there."

"Yo Lahr, we're getting together at the Lounge for a few drinks.  Just us guys."

"Hey bud, some of us are getting together to set up a parrises squares league on the ship.  I've got zh'Tianihr and Tragnar... with you... we'd have a winning team.  What do you say?"

Yet while his immediate after work time was being kept occupied by his 'overprotective' friends, Lahr tried to make time daily for Ruth - outside the bedroom and the bridge.   When invited to Nintendo night,  Lahr extended the invite to Litt, Ruth and the rest of the Bridge staff.   There were enough tables at Luigi's Pizzeria to be able to invite them all.  Hell, he even the invited Captain.   Lahr thought it would be amusing to have side pool going on as to which character Galloway would pick if he showed.   Lahr had his money on Samus.

[Ruth's Quarters - Days Later]

Ruth had got the invite from Lahr about going to Luigi's and since he'd invited the other Bridge staff too she knew she wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb, but that hadn't stopped her agonising over what to wear.  She finally decided since this was a pizza, beer and fun night to go casual.

Satisfied with her appearance and determined not to arrive at the same time as Lahr she went 'fashionably late'.

[Luigi's]

Quote from: ShranLahr ch'Verret on July 26, 2020, 03:45:11 AM

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret
[USS Challenger - Deck 5 - Luigi's Pizzeria (and Arcade)]

Lahr was enjoying himself.  For the moment, thoughts of how lonely he was without Ruth were set aside.  There was just the game.  The game and his opponent.  Sammy.

"Bring it on" he taunted.

The Andorian buttom-mashed like crazy.. and his avatar, jumped and flipped and ran forward, ran back, jumped again, roundhouse kicked, attempted to swallow Sammy but missed, jumped again, and did another roundhouse kick.

About the only thing that Lahr seemed to have control over was NOT falling off the stage.

Ruth spotted Lahr with Litt and Sammy only because of the fact that if someone did a Mafia job on any body part of Lahr she'd know it was him, plus the sort of electricity that seemed to fill the air when they were together, and ... the fact that he fell off the stage.

She was in two minds whether to run over and decided to not run, but go over and help haul him back up, because first it was the right thing to do for a fellow crewman she knew well... despite him being her lover, and secondly, had she not and he found out that she'd been there, he might have been incredibly hurt.

"So, is this normal, or specially put on for me, and... what pizza do you recommend, I'm starving.  Hi Richard, Sammy... who's winning?"

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Kyle Briggs

Having just finished another shift, Kyle had went to his quarters for a shower and a change of clothes. Once that was done, he made his way to the lounge. He had received an invitation from Lahr to join him and his friends for their game night and while Kyle was honored by the invite, it just didn't seem like his kind of thing so he had decided not to intrude.

Once he arrived at the lounge, he grabbed a bite to eat and a bottle of Jamison. He saw that his usual window seat was available so he walked over and took a seat.

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on September 16, 2020, 08:42:52 AM

[Turbolift en route to Sickbay]

Ruth saw the 'Dance of the Antennae' as she privately called the almost semaphore movements of Lahr's antennae, and pursed her lips.

"Sweet darling Lahr, first... it was a growth which was causing more problems because of where it was... pressing on my brain stem.  It was causing a lot of migraines and had I not met the 90 year old mirror-verse version of myself who told the rather useless so called Andorian 'boyfriend'..."

She framed the word boyfriend with air quotes, she was about to elaborate on that in due course.

"...that he had to look out for me and even the slightest headache, get it checked out, and this being overheard by Caleb... well I might not be here.  As it happens the ancient version of me and him were more in love than me and the current day version ever were, we didn't get a chance to be."

The redhead then addressed the 'problem' of the jealousy she'd detected in Lahr.

"As for me and my so called previous Andorian boyfriend.  I guess I've always been attracted to Andorians.  However, 'boyfriend' was a very loose term.  When he first came to the Athena we were thrown together a lot in various away missions, me being the CSO and he a very capable engineer. And rather like my mother when Halgur picked me daisies when I was 5 and walked me to school every morning, she called him my 'boyfriend', and 'Auntie' Magda his mother called me his girlfriend.  There honestly wasn't anything in this so called relationship.  It started because he practically saved my life once and as a thank you I went to kiss him on the cheek, someone called his name and he turned and the kiss landed on his lips... people saw, and for a while we thought it would be interesting to see how it went.  It didn't go anywhere.  I personally think he was scared of me... or the axes maybe!  I can't even remember his name that's how 'important' he was to me... he wasn't.  Lift stop!"

She stopped the lift and pulled Lahr into a smouldering embrace.  If there had been any more passion in her kiss they would have set the lift on fire.

"You are my blue man, you're the only one I've ever called 'My blue man', there's only ever been four men in my life romantically - Kaspar who was the one that my father said I couldn't marry which led me to leaving home and joining Starfleet, to stop him marrying me to the lout next door, then a Caitian briefly who's radar I didn't even feature on... I would have moved heaven and earth for him, but he didn't even notice me... it wasn't a relationship so much as an infatuation on my part!  Then Will... whom you know about..." she took a moment as it still caused a pang of loss whenever she heard his name.  She might have already been in love with Lahr when she married Will, but he'd been her best friend and it was a sad loss to her still.

"...and finally you.  A chance to finally be happy.  With a man who is the only one since Kaspar back when I was 15-17 who reciprocates my love, satisfies me not just in bed, and makes me the happiest woman alive. The man who I crossed half a universe to be with on my own and if Lizzie hadn't helped get me back here I would have risked my commission and quit Starfleet to be a civilian to be with.  Got that?  You are more important than my career... and you know how I feel about my career, Starfleet and the Federation.  They are or were my life, now you are.  There is only 2 things that I would drop everything for other than you, and you've put your reputation and career on the line for them too... the twins.  Now... I really do have a headache, could I get it sorted and then we can have that alternative medicine in the form of a 'dose of Blue'!"

"Computer, resume lift!"

Lahr took in Ruth's explanation of her cancer with a bit of puzzled look, his antenna pointed towards her curiously.  A 90-yr old mirror-verse Ruth?  Really?  He'd heard rumors of such odd things like the mirror-verse, but before joining Starfleet never actually thought he'd ever meet someone who could confirm such things first-hand.  Due to its existence being classified, he shouldn't know about it at all; but as Ruth just proved - people talk.  It was a bit alarming to know it was true.

Unfortunately, she didn't stay on the topic of mirror-verse long and instead focused on explaining on how the other Andorian wasn't really a 'boyfriend'.  Hearing her mention how their relationship began, Lahr snorted at the accidental lip-kiss.  It was like a scene from some 21st century Rom-Com.  His antenna waved in amusement.

When the Commander stopped the lift to kiss him heatedly, Lahr welcomed the fire and even thought tug at the fasteners of her jacket.  'If they were quick... maybe...'

But even as he was about to make his move, Ruth broke the kiss and continued talking.  Dammit! He'd missed his chance.  His antenna drooped a bit.

Ruth listed out her past loves - seemingly as a way of proving that she loved him.  It made no sense to him.  He was rather certain she wouldn't want a listing of all his past partners.  So why she thought he wanted to know about Kasper or the Caitian... much less to have Will mentioned?  He still felt a twinge of guilt - his antenna writhing a bit - knowing she was his only because her husband was lost on mission and presumed dead.

The guilt intensified when Ruth went on to profess that she loved him more than her career.  His track record when it came to long-term relationships wasn't good.  Chloe had been one of his longest and that had hadn't lasted more than 6 months.  Lahr truly hoped his wandering attention remained focused on Ruth from now on.  He didn't want to hurt her.  Seeing her eyeing his antenna (damn how expressive they were to her!), Lahr smiles and forced his antenna to cease their agitated writhing and instead focused on how he felt that moment.

She was his center.  Everything about her - from her talkativeness to her freckles - made him smile or feel protective of her - even though he knew she was even more capable of defending herself than he was.  Making her happy, made him happy.  And there was no denying the attraction they had for one another.  "I love you too..."

There was a moment's awkwardness as Lahr had almost ended that sentence with 'Captain'.  He supposed he would always see her as that person.  The Captain of his heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

[Ruth's Quarters - Days Later]

Ruth had got the invite from Lahr about going to Luigi's and since he'd invited the other Bridge staff too she knew she wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb, but that hadn't stopped her agonising over what to wear.  She finally decided since this was a pizza, beer and fun night to go casual.

Satisfied with her appearance and determined not to arrive at the same time as Lahr she went 'fashionably late'.

[Luigi's]

Ruth spotted Lahr with Litt and Sammy only because of the fact that if someone did a Mafia job on any body part of Lahr she'd know it was him, plus the sort of electricity that seemed to fill the air when they were together, and ... the fact that he fell off his chair.

With his attention on not losing to Sammy in the game, Lahr hadn't notice Ruth enter... not immediately.  When he did.. the sight of her in her belly shirt... oh Roohz! had Lahr rising from his seat too quickly and tripped on the chair leg and tumbled to the floor.

She was in two minds whether to run over and decided to not run, but go over and help haul him back up, because first it was the right thing to do for a fellow crewman she knew well... despite him being her lover, and secondly, had she not and he found out that she'd been there, he might have been incredibly hurt.

"So, is this normal, or specially put on for me, and... what pizza do you recommend, I'm starving.  Hi Richard, Sammy... who's winning?"

Lahr scrambled to his feet with a bit of help from Ruth and he managed to settle back into his  seat but not before Sammy won the round.

"I ordered 2 each of the usual -  two pepperoni and two Hawaiian.  Have one of each if you like."

He motioned to the seat beside him.  "Have a seat Ruth." he figured he could get away with calling her by her name in public since she was in civilian clothes.

"You'll find the remote on a shelf just under the table's surface.  You can join in the next round of melee."

Vasilisa Belmont

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on September 16, 2020, 10:43:17 PM

Having just finished another shift, Kyle had went to his quarters for a shower and a change of clothes. Once that was done, he made his way to the lounge. He had received an invitation from Lahr to join him and his friends for their game night and while Kyle was honored by the invite, it just didn't seem like his kind of thing so he had decided not to intrude.

Once he arrived at the lounge, he grabbed a bite to eat and a bottle of Jamison. He saw that his usual window seat was available so he walked over and took a seat.

[Lounge - USS Challenger]

For the first time in she didn't know how long, Lisa actually took time off. As in, a couple days instead of a couple hours. She'd spent a few hours in Sickbay of course, issued Ruth some painkillers and assisted with a couple other minor things but ultimately it was the equivalent of taking a week's holiday on Risa for Lisa. She read books, took long showers, ate real meals, and she did it all alone. No patients to put on a show for. Not that she wasn't naturally cheerful, but fatigue did play its part. Today after a short shift in Sickbay taking care of a strained tendon and a broken bone  she decided to go back to the Lounge before spending another few blissful hours reading in her quarters.

She was wearing a loose tunic and leggings, perfect for lounging in but not too casual for going "out." The idea was kinda amusing when it came to her, since going out just meant going to a different level on the ship. But the change of atmosphere did help her out mentally, despite technically being in the same place.

When she walked in she headed for the replicator and ordered a cinnamon tea, adding a few more spices of her own choosing to the recipe, and a cobb salad. Looking around she saw a few people she recognized from talking to them in Sickbay and she gave them each a small wave in turn. She usually liked to have a seat on the edges of the room unless she was called over to someone's table. Since no one did today, she scanned the perimeter and found most spaces filled with single occupants lost in their own thoughts.

One of those occupants was Commander Briggs, who happened to be in a spot with a window. Lisa had chosen that one a couple times and she figured there was no harm in asking, so she carried her bowl and mug over. As she walked, she briefly eyed the bottle of Jamison with a judgmental look but quickly dropped it. He was a grown man and whatever he wanted to drink off duty was none of her business, despite her opinions on the subject.

Once she got his attention, Lisa motioned as best she could with full hands to the empty seat across from the XO.

"Mind if I sit here?"

Kyle Briggs

Quote from: Vasilisa Belmont on September 17, 2020, 11:53:16 AM

For the first time in she didn't know how long, Lisa actually took time off. As in, a couple days instead of a couple hours. She'd spent a few hours in Sickbay of course, issued Ruth some painkillers and assisted with a couple other minor things but ultimately it was the equivalent of taking a week's holiday on Risa for Lisa. She read books, took long showers, ate real meals, and she did it all alone. No patients to put on a show for. Not that she wasn't naturally cheerful, but fatigue did play its part. Today after a short shift in Sickbay taking care of a strained tendon and a broken bone  she decided to go back to the Lounge before spending another few blissful hours reading in her quarters.

She was wearing a loose tunic and leggings, perfect for lounging in but not too casual for going "out." The idea was kinda amusing when it came to her, since going out just meant going to a different level on the ship. But the change of atmosphere did help her out mentally, despite technically being in the same place.

When she walked in she headed for the replicator and ordered a cinnamon tea, adding a few more spices of her own choosing to the recipe, and a cobb salad. Looking around she saw a few people she recognized from talking to them in Sickbay and she gave them each a small wave in turn. She usually liked to have a seat on the edges of the room unless she was called over to someone's table. Since no one did today, she scanned the perimeter and found most spaces filled with single occupants lost in their own thoughts.

One of those occupants was Commander Briggs, who happened to be in a spot with a window. Lisa had chosen that one a couple times and she figured there was no harm in asking, so she carried her bowl and mug over. As she walked, she briefly eyed the bottle of Jamison with a judgmental look but quickly dropped it. He was a grown man and whatever he wanted to drink off duty was none of her business, despite her opinions on the subject.

Once she got his attention, Lisa motioned as best she could with full hands to the empty seat across from the XO.

"Mind if I sit here?"

Kyle was slightly startled at a voice coming from right next to him.

"Doctor." Kyle said as he stood and helped her with her chair. "Please. Have a seat."

Ever the gentleman, he helped her scoot on to the table before returning to his own chair.

Kyle and Lisa had served together several years back on the USS Arizona under Captain Tulley and he had been very happy to see her again when she got assigned to the Challenger. She was a great officer and an amazing doctor. It was always good to see an old friend and he said so as he settled back into his own seat.

"It's good to see you, Lisa. How've you been?"

Rank was one thing Kyle never stood on inside the lounge. Everyone needed a spot to unwind and forget things.

T'eala

[T'eala Ren's Quarters - USS Challenger]
What an exciting first day. T'eala had long since finished her duty shift as instructed. She had the time to herself now to get antiquated with her quarters on the Challenger. It was a long way removed from Betazed, and conditions proved to be far more posh than the draconian grey-scape of her family's freight haulers.

It would take some time getting used too. Not just the room, the entire new environment that the fiery-haired Betazoid had placed herself in. While she could easily handle the heat in any cockpit or bridge room, navigating the personal spheres of other's remained an elusive art for her. Even with her genetic disposition for hyper-sensitive empathy, she'd always found helm controls much easier and more tolerable to navigate as opposed to the wild and vast spectrum of alien emotion.

Ian Galloway

[Bridge - USS Challenger - Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be]

"Captain's Log Supplimental. We are nearing the coordinates sent to us by Commander Grenig of the USS Tesla and on droppin' out of warp, we find that we are nae alone. It seems Captain von Haupt managed to reach, what I must assume is, a fairly large portion of the Kriegsraum Marine. Based on the blind luck of which ships happened ta be where at the time the call went out, eight German ships are waitin' for us and sensors show six more less than twelve hours away.

"However, for the moment, arrayed against us are the KRS Tirpitz, KMS Admiral Scheer, KRS BlÁ¼cher, KRS Leipzig, Z9 Wolfgang Zenker, Z10 Hans Lody, Z11 Bernd von Arnim, and Z12 Erich Giese. Extrapolatin' those names from the ship's historical record, and assumin' the namin' conventions haven't changed, the Tirpiz is a battleship, the Scheer a 'pocket battleship', the BlÁ¼cher is a heavy cruiser, the Leipzig is a light cruiser while the four 'Zed' ships are destroyers.

"This is a formidable force and even with our technological advantage, we may be hard pressed by this fleet. This especially true as science attempts ta open the fracture in the fabric of space for us ta return ta our own dimension. Sensors show the German fleet has their weapons charged and their shields up, I've ordered Red Alert so our shields and weapons are at the ready as well.

"I had Tactical open a channel ta the German commander in the hopes of avoidin' another confrontation, but the Admiral in charge, one Viktor Lutjens, replied with a terse 'lower your shields and prepare to receive boarding shuttles'. Therefore it seems as if negotiations were not an option. I have the Challenger at battlestations and must now turn ta Commander Sigurdsdottir and her team ta engineer our escape from this dimension. End log."

Ian looked around the bridge and it didn't take a Betazoid to sense the tension. Everyone was however, at their station and ready for whatever happened next. He felt an enormous sense of pride at how the crew was responding, leavened by an even larger sense of humility in the trust they had in him.

"Seems like a moment ta say summat pithy and memorable."

He thought as he switched his attention to his console for a moment.

"Mister Nari, standby with all weapons. Mister Ren, be prepared for several course changes and tactical commands. Mister ch'Verret please attempt ta raise Admiral Lutjens again."

All any of them could do at that moment was wait.

Vasilisa Belmont

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on September 17, 2020, 07:25:50 PM

Kyle was slightly startled at a voice coming from right next to him.

"Doctor." Kyle said as he stood and helped her with her chair. "Please. Have a seat."

Ever the gentleman, he helped her scoot on to the table before returning to his own chair.

Kyle and Lisa had served together several years back on the USS Arizona under Captain Tulley and he had been very happy to see her again when she got assigned to the Challenger. She was a great officer and an amazing doctor. It was always good to see an old friend and he said so as he settled back into his own seat.

"It's good to see you, Lisa. How've you been?"

Rank was one thing Kyle never stood on inside the lounge. Everyone needed a spot to unwind and forget things.

Lisa smiled genially as Kyle pulled out a chair for her and she set down her food. She was pleased to be having conversation this evening along with her meal. Kyle was someone she had never been afraid to approach. He had experience in medicine, having had a doctor for a father, so there was some shared interest. He was also a genuinely nice person, and she was happy to call him a friend after knowing him all these years.

"I've been good, Kyle," she began. "It feels great to be out of the office for a little while, doesn't it?" She looked out the window at the familiar pinprick-studded black. "Granted we're in another dimension, but at least it still has a nice view," she gave a small chuckle. It was a strange career, Starfleet. They were relying entirely on their science team to get them back to their version of reality, and this was accepted as a hazard that came with the job. The reality contained here in this starship could be lost to another dimension, but they'd still be looking at a black sky through the window.

"Captain's Log Supplimental. We are nearing the coordinates sent to us by Commander Grenig of the USS Tesla and on droppin' out of warp, we find that we are nae alone. It seems Captain von Haupt managed to reach, what I must assume is, a fairly large portion of the Kriegsraum Marine. Based on the blind luck of which ships happened ta be where at the time the call went out, eight German ships are waitin' for us and sensors show six more less than twelve hours away.

"However, for the moment, arrayed against us are the KRS Tirpitz, KMS Admiral Scheer, KRS BlÁ¼cher, KRS Leipzig, Z9 Wolfgang Zenker, Z10 Hans Lody, Z11 Bernd von Arnim, and Z12 Erich Giese. Extrapolatin' those names from the ship's historical record, and assumin' the namin' conventions haven't changed, the Tirpiz is a battleship, the Scheer a 'pocket battleship', the BlÁ¼cher is a heavy cruiser, the Leipzig is a light cruiser while the four 'Zed' ships are destroyers.

"This is a formidable force and even with our technological advantage, we may be hard pressed by this fleet. This especially true as science attempts ta open the fracture in the fabric of space for us ta return ta our own dimension. Sensors show the German fleet has their weapons charged and their shields up, I've ordered Red Alert so our shields and weapons are at the ready as well.

"I had Tactical open a channel ta the German commander in the hopes of avoidin' another confrontation, but the Admiral in charge, one Viktor Lutjens, replied with a terse 'lower your shields and prepare to receive boarding shuttles'. Therefore it seems as if negotiations were not an option. I have the Challenger at battlestations and must now turn ta Commander Sigurdsdottir and her team ta engineer our escape from this dimension. End log."

Ian looked around the bridge and it didn't take a Betazoid to sense the tension. Everyone was however, at their station and ready for whatever happened next. He felt an enormous sense of pride at how the crew was responding, leavened by an even larger sense of humility in the trust they had in him.

"Mister Nari, standby with all weapons. Mister Ren, be prepared for several course changes and tactical commands. Mister ch'Verret please attempt ta raise Admiral Lutjens again."

[Sickbay - USS Challenger] (A couple days later...)

Sickbay was empty for once. All the Vulcans had returned to duty several days before. The alpha team was standing at the ready since red alert meant they were probably going to be fighting some Germans and that meant their services could be needed. Lisa was sitting on a swivel-chair next to a biobed, feeling more relaxed than she had in weeks as she went over a couple reports. For the most part the team was twiddling their thumbs, looking at their PADDs, waiting...

Kyle Briggs

Quote from: Vasilisa Belmont on September 18, 2020, 07:56:11 PM

Lisa smiled genially as Kyle pulled out a chair for her and she set down her food. She was pleased to be having conversation this evening along with her meal. Kyle was someone she had never been afraid to approach. He had experience in medicine, having had a doctor for a father, so there was some shared interest. He was also a genuinely nice person, and she was happy to call him a friend after knowing him all these years.

"I've been good, Kyle," she began. "It feels great to be out of the office for a little while, doesn't it?" She looked out the window at the familiar pinprick-studded black. "Granted we're in another dimension, but at least it still has a nice view," she gave a small chuckle. It was a strange career, Starfleet. They were relying entirely on their science team to get them back to their version of reality, and this was accepted as a hazard that came with the job. The reality contained here in this starship could be lost to another dimension, but they'd still be looking at a black sky through the window.

"It's definitely good to get a way awhile." he agreed. "At least physically. Mentally, it seems like I never get away. Like now. I'm sitting here and having a nice dinner with a good friend and an amazing view but my mind is on the Bridge. I'm wondering if we're gonna make it to our destination in time. Are we gonna get there before we have another run in with more of those ships?" He caught himself and paused. "I'm sorry. You're happy to be out of the office and all I'm doing is talking office. Let's change the subject. What do you wanna talk about?" he asked.

Bridge, couple of days later.....

They were back on the Bridge and Kyle's fear had come true. They had reached their destination only to find several Nazi vessels waiting on them. All communication attempts had failed and they had even been ordered to lower shields and prepare for boarding parties. They new the Challenger was superior but the shear numbers were against them.

After having some down time, the Bridge crew returned refreshed and on top of their game. Ian had issued orders and they were all metaphorically holding their breaths in hopes that Ruth and her team could get them home.

With Nari handling weapons, Kyle had taken to his console and ordered security details to each shuttle bay at the mention of boarding parties. Now they were playing that dreaded waiting game.

Mondo'li Nari

USS Challenger - Bridge

Mondo nodded as the Captain issued his orders.  This was a moment they'd all known was coming.  He'd done his brooding, his thinking, his philosophizing.  He'd come to terms with it.

It was time to do the grim duty of the day.

"Aye sir.  All weapons ready.  I'm programming for short duration, rapid sequence fire.  Point of Impact system is nominal."

He paused, and then turned to look at the Captain.

"Sir.  I normally wouldn't suggest sending embarked craft against antagonist vessels of this size.  However, given the technological disparity, even shuttle phaser systems may prove formidable in the fight which awaits us.  And even micro-torpedoes may be able to do significant damage.

Our type 11 and Type 17 shuttles, the Scobee and Cutty Sark, are very well-armed in that regard.  I've also noticed that the enemy weapon systems we've encountered so far seem to be massive, with slow tracking.  Fast enough to hit the Challenger, but they may have difficulty tracking a smaller, fast-moving craft."

ShranLahr ch'Verret

ShranLahr ch'Verret
[Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be - USS Challenger - Bridge]

Quote from: Ian Galloway on September 18, 2020, 10:55:39 AM

Over the past four days Lahr had kept the Captain appraised of the progress of the approaching ships.  The fact that the Nazi ships seemed to organize themselves to arrive at the exact coordinates that the Tesla had sent to Challenger indicated to Lahr that if nothing else the Nazi's were really good at breaking codes.  Eight Nazi ships already assembled and 6 more arriving within 12 hours.  Things were going to be interesting.

Lahr listened to Captain Galloway as the human recorded an entry into the ship's log.  Afterwards, orders were issued and the Andorian was quick to hail the lead Nazi ship.  Surprisingly, the Admiral responded.

"Sir, I'm putting Admiral Lutjens - aboard the KRS Tirpitz - on screen."

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Mondo'li Nari on September 19, 2020, 02:06:21 AM

USS Challenger - Bridge

Mondo nodded as the Captain issued his orders.  This was a moment they'd all known was coming.  He'd done his brooding, his thinking, his philosophizing.  He'd come to terms with it.

It was time to do the grim duty of the day.

"Aye sir.  All weapons ready.  I'm programming for short duration, rapid sequence fire.  Point of Impact system is nominal."

He paused, and then turned to look at the Captain.

"Sir.  I normally wouldn't suggest sending embarked craft against antagonist vessels of this size.  However, given the technological disparity, even shuttle phaser systems may prove formidable in the fight which awaits us.  And even micro-torpedoes may be able to do significant damage.

Our type 11 and Type 17 shuttles, the Scobee and Cutty Sark, are very well-armed in that regard.  I've also noticed that the enemy weapon systems we've encountered so far seem to be massive, with slow tracking.  Fast enough to hit the Challenger, but they may have difficulty tracking a smaller, fast-moving craft."

Ian smiled at Mondo's suggestion as it sounded very similar to a thought he was having at that very moment.

"That Mister Nari is a very good idea and mirrors my own thoughts. However, please add the Mjolnir ta the mix. They probably won't be able ta hurt the Tirpiz, but they should play holy hob with those destroyers."

Quote from: ShranLahr ch'Verret on September 19, 2020, 02:51:23 AM

ShranLahr ch'Verret
[Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be - USS Challenger - Bridge]

Over the past four days Lahr had kept the Captain appraised of the progress of the approaching ships.  The fact that the Nazi ships seemed to organize themselves to arrive at the exact coordinates that the Tesla had sent to Challenger indicated to Lahr that if nothing else the Nazi's were really good at breaking codes.  Eight Nazi ships already assembled and 6 more arriving within 12 hours.  Things were going to be interesting.

Lahr listened to Captain Galloway as the human recorded an entry into the ship's log.  Afterwards, orders were issued and the Andorian was quick to hail the lead Nazi ship.  Surprisingly, the Admiral responded.

"Sir, I'm putting Admiral Lutjens - aboard the KRS Tirpitz - on screen."

Ian waited the few moments it took for the image of the German officer to form. Eyeing the man's arrogant demeanor, Ian wondered if whatever military academy the Nazis had taught that expression as it was almost identical to that of Captain von Haupt's. When Ian spoke, it was in perfect Standard so that there would be no misunderstanding what he was trying to say.

"Admiral. I'm certain, by now, that you have heard from the captains of the Graf Spee and Scharnhorst and understand that your ships are no match for the Challenger. Given the force you have assembled, I'm going to guess, comprises some four to five thousand sailors. I have no desire to cause any further casualties, in my dimension, I, and the service I represent, are explorers. However, if you interfere with our attempts to leave or fire on this ship, I will unleash her full firepower and do the same thing to your fleet as happened to the Graf Spee and Scharnhorst.

"I can only imagine how galling it must be to command what must be, by your standards, such a powerful fleet and have a single ship captain ask you to stand down, but is your pride worth five thousand lives?"

Lutjen's expression hardened at Ian words and he leaned forward in a gesture probably long practiced and meant to intimidate.

"You think I fear your words Englander? Your country has been under the Swastika for more than 450 years and your ship will be no different! I have already told you my demands. Drop your shields and prepare to receive boarding craft. If you do not do so, it will be you that will be destroyed. You can't run, your ship is no faster than mine, so spew your filthy lies of technological superiority to others. Your Galactic Transplanetary Union is no match for the Third Reich! To use your own words, is your pride worth that of your entire crew?"

Ian sighed as he was familiar enough with the Nazi mentality to know a lost cause when he saw one. To a degree, Lutjens was right, in this dimension, nothing had defied the Third Reich for hundreds of years and as far as he was concerned, Ian was a member of an opponent Nazi German had defeated long ago. In his mind "Deutschland Á¼ber alles" was fact and he had no other option but to prove that.

As it was clear that negotiations were clearly not an option, Ian chose to call upon his familiarity with mid-20th Century history to say something petty.

"Lutjens you say? I have ta assume you are a descendant of that idiot Admiral GÁ¼nther LÁ¼tjens who was too stupid ta refuel the Bismarck when he had the chance and got himself and his 'invincible' ship destroyed. Well, I got news for you Fritz, after today, no one named Lutjens will even be allowed ta clean the loo in your navy once word gets back ta your superiors of the losses you sustained against a single ship that you still couldn't defeat."

Lutjens' expression darkened with rage and he closed the channel. At the same time, the German fleet began to move. The four destroyers swept wide to keep the Challenger from running as the Tirpiz and Admiral Scheer opened fire with full broadsides. Their accelerator cannon projectiles hitting in tight clusters, but were stopped cold by the point of impact shields. Unfortunately, that system was optimized for single ship encounters and would not be as effective once the entire German fleet started firing.

The Leipzig and the BlÁ¼cher took advantage of the heavy ship's covering fire to close on the Challenger, their smaller accelerator cannon and phasers firing as the closed.

Feeling the Challenger rock from the impact of the German weapons, Ian sat back and calmly began giving orders.

"Mister Nari, launch the designated shuttles and you are weapons free, your primary targets for the first salvo are those two cruisers.

"Mister Ren, take us to heading 147 mark 29, I want ta hook ta the starboard side of the Scheer as the shuttles engage the destroyers on that flank, we should be able ta get around ta the other side of their formation and catch the Tirpiz on her starboard side.

"Mister ch'Verret, I want a pair of Class V clandestine Reconnaissance probes configured as before. It's time they see the Galactic Transplanetary Union's ability ta appear at will in action.

"Commander Sigurdsdottir, you get in touch with the Tesla and figure out how ta get us the hell out of here!"

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.