Mission 3.9 Hunt for the Second Star

Started by James Carter, November 15, 2018, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Carter

[Captain's Quarters]

Warren sat alone. James had been gone for a month and a half now, but she never lost hope that he might make a reappearance. Some kind of trick he might have pulled last minute. He gave Katheryn a specific contingency that only seemed to pass on command to her. However, not even she expected to hear his voice come over a shipwide message. =/\= Contingency 7B. My death in an away mission. As I'm sure many of you were already aware, my authority has been passed on to the next in charge which is...someone. I'm not sure who at this point honestly. Engineering might have noticed something odd using the computer core over the last month, I had it running calculations to find a specific planet. This message playing means that you should be able to find at least a fragmented star chart and stellar coordinates. There should be something interesting there that should offer some reprive from the Liberation constantly Gunning for you like fated seemed to be Gunning for me. =/\= He was silent for a moment to allow his words to sink in. =/\= Anyways, happy holidays everyone. =/\=

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: James Carter on November 15, 2018, 04:29:34 PM

=/\= Contingency 7B. My death in an away mission. As I'm sure many of you were already aware, my authority has been passed on to the next in charge which is...someone. I'm not sure who at this point honestly. Engineering might have noticed something odd using the computer core over the last month, I had it running calculations to find a specific planet. This message playing means that you should be able to find at least a fragmented star chart and stellar coordinates. There should be something interesting there that should offer some reprive from the Liberation constantly Gunning for you like fated seemed to be Gunning for me. =/\= He was silent for a moment to allow his words to sink in. =/\= Anyways, happy holidays everyone. =/\=

[Bridge]

Katheryn sat in the centre seat, staring almost blankly at the viewscreen in front of her, if someone was to look in her direction, they would assume that she was merely admiring the starscape as it streaked by but in fact she was deep in thought.

It had been six weeks since they had been thrown into turmoil, six weeks since command of the Athena had been transferred after following the Captain's contingency. Six weeks of constant calls with Starfleet when the Captain was declared missing presumed dead, the memory of the utter destruction and rubble strewn ruins of the Cathedral firmly etched into her mind and where she refused to believe that Carter was dead.

Her refusal to give up hope and the subsequent heated conversations with Admiral Maxwell had resulted in a compromise where the Athena got to stay out and not return to HQ at least not yet. Some faith had been instilled and she vowed not to return defeated and let the ship be handed over to someone else and seal its fate.

When she wasn't offering comfort and support to Warren and dealing with every day ship life as its Acting Captain which she had slowly adapted too, Katheryn had spent precious time with her husband and children. This was important to her to keep some normality in her life especially with the twins being almost four months old and it also gave her focus to continue.

However was soon roused from her thoughts when the Captain's voice spoke to them all which meant that the rest of the contingency had finally been revealed and it reassured her hearing his voice once more.

This was their chance to find answers and she knew what she needed to do as she opened a ship wide channel.

=/\= Acting Captain Brighton to all Senior Staff, meet me in the Observation Lounge in thirty minutes, Brighton out =/\=

Katheryn then closed the channel and sat back for a moment, her mind more clearer than it had been in weeks.

Academy Commandant

Susan Venator

Quote from: Katheryn Brighton on November 15, 2018, 04:52:10 PM

[Bridge]

=/\= Acting Captain Brighton to all Senior Staff, meet me in the Observation Lounge in thirty minutes, Brighton out =/\=

Main Computer Core - Deck 11

With several senior officers, including the Captain and XO missing, the remaining officers had been pulling extra duties for the last few weeks. Suzie herself was covering for a COO who was on family leave and running a diagnostic of the main computer core.

She had just finished the diagnostic and was about to go and get something to eat when the call came through. Nodding to the senior duty Technician, she left the core access room and made her way to the Observation lounge as requested.

Observation Lounge

Suzie walked into the Observation Lounge and saw she was the first to arrive. That being so, she replicated several jugs of water and some glasses and put them on the table. After pouring herself a glass, she sat down close to the head of the table. Conscious that she was one of the senior remaining officers on board.

She took a drink from the glass and sat back, pulling her PADD out, she began going over the Operations departmental reports while she waited.

Species: Betazoid
Bio: Susan Venator Bio Alt of Lizzie Vaughan

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

[Sciences]

Quote from: Katheryn Brighton on November 15, 2018, 04:52:10 PM

[Bridge]

Katheryn then closed the channel and sat back for a moment, her mind more clearer than it had been in weeks.

=/\= Acknowledged, Ma'am.  Sigurdsdottir out  =/\=

She scuttled around and made everything tidy and then made her way up to the Observation Lounge about 20 mins later.

[Observation Lounge]

Quote from: Susan Venator on November 16, 2018, 07:19:41 AM

Main Computer Core - Deck 11

With several senior officers, including the Captain and XO missing, the remaining officers had been pulling extra duties for the last few weeks. Suzie herself was covering for a COO who was on family leave and running a diagnostic of the main computer core.

She had just finished the diagnostic and was about to go and get something to eat when the call came through. Nodding to the senior duty Technician, she left the core access room and made her way to the Observation lounge as requested.

Observation Lounge

Suzie walked into the Observation Lounge and saw she was the first to arrive. That being so, she replicated several jugs of water and some glasses and put them on the table. After pouring herself a glass, she sat down close to the head of the table. Conscious that she was one of the senior remaining officers on board.

She took a drink from the glass and sat back, pulling her PADD out, she began going over the Operations departmental reports while she waited.

Walking in she spotted Suzie.

"Hi Suz, what gives?" she said walking down and sitting next to her friend.  "Thanks for the water, barely get a minute to breathe let alone take breaks at the moment, but needs must and I did promise to help out Katheryn all I could."

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Susan Venator

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on November 16, 2018, 07:26:02 AM

[Sciences]

She scuttled around and made everything tidy and then made her way up to the Observation Lounge about 20 mins later.

[Observation Lounge]

Walking in she spotted Suzie.

"Hi Suz, what gives?" she said walking down and sitting next to her friend.  "Thanks for the water, barely get a minute to breathe let alone take breaks at the moment, but needs must and I did promise to help out Katheryn all I could."

Observation Lounge

Suzie looked up as Ruth entered and smiled.

"I have no idea." She replied. "But then again, I have barely had any time to think over the last few weeks. Hopefully, we are going to be told what is going on and when we are getting replacement crew. I've operated short handed before, but never for this long and never with so many missing personnel." She added, taking a sip of water from her own glass.

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on November 16, 2018, 07:26:02 AM

[Sciences]

[Bridge]

The Captain's words continued to reverberate around her head as Katheryn heard the acknowledgement from Ruth. Something kept niggling her about what his last message had contained and she hoped that by discussing it with the Senior Staff and finding the location of the planet he had spoken about would help them forget about all of the negative and focus on something more positive.

With that in mind, she issued orders for those who remained on the Bridge.

" Ensign Markington, continue monitoring the sensor scans and contact Chief Richards to remind him about the meeting" she said then turned to their newest Flight Cadet.

" Cadet Graham, maintain current course and keep us at Warp 2" she instructed " I'll be in the Observation Lounge should anyone need me".

With that Katheryn handed over the conn and exited the Bridge, quickly making her way towards the Lounge.

[Observation Lounge]

Upon her arrival, Katheryn noted that Venator and Sigurdsdottir where already present, something you could always rely on when it came to these particular officers and smiled at the thought. She knew how hard it had been for all of them lately but refused to give up or lose faith.

" Afternoon Lieutenants" she said politely addressing them both as she made her way to the top of the table although elected to take the XO spot rather than Carter's usual seat.

Academy Commandant

Susan Venator

Quote from: Katheryn Brighton on November 16, 2018, 10:42:25 AM

[Bridge]

The Captain's words continued to reverberate around her head as Katheryn heard the acknowledgement from Ruth. Something kept niggling her about what his last message had contained and she hoped that by discussing it with the Senior Staff and finding the location of the planet he had spoken about would help them forget about all of the negative and focus on something more positive.

" Ensign Markington, continue monitoring the sensor scans and contact Chief Richards to remind him about the meeting" she said then turned to their newest Flight Cadet.

" Cadet Graham, maintain current course and keep us at Warp 2" she instructed " I'll be in the Observation Lounge should anyone need me".

With that Katheryn handed over the conn and exited the Bridge, quickly making her way towards the Lounge.

[Observation Lounge]

Upon her arrival, Katheryn noted that Venator and Sigurdsdottir where already present, something you could always rely on when it came to these particular officers and smiled at the thought. She knew how hard it had been for all of them lately but refused to give up or lose faith.

" Afternoon Lieutenants" she said politely addressing them both as she made her way to the top of the table although elected to take the XO spot rather than Carter's usual seat.

Observation Lounge

Suzie half stood as Brighton entered and greeted them.

"Afternoon Ma'am." She replied before taking her seat, noting that the CSO had taken the XO's chair not the CO's, despite the fact that she was the highest ranking officer onboard.

She waited for Brighton to take her seat before she held up a glass.

"Would you like a drink?" She asked.

Susan Markington

Quote from: Katheryn Brighton on November 16, 2018, 10:42:25 AM

[Bridge]

[Observation Lounge]

[bridge]
"Yes ma'am." Susan said as she continued to monitor the scans. She then pressed the communicator badge on her chest and contacted Chief Richards.

=/\= Chief Richards...This is Ensign Markington. XO Brighton says meeting in the observation lounge sir. =/\= she said as she heard back.
=/\= God damn it Markington! How many times have I told you not to contact me unless it's an emergency! Yes, I know about the meeting and I'm not attending. I have a couple of delinquents to deal with right now. Alright you two! Drop and give me twenty! No not money you imbecile! Push-ups! =/\= Chief Richards replied.

Ugh...Mrs. Brighton isn't going to like this... Susan thought as she commed back. =/\= Copy that sir. I will inform the XO. =/\=

Susan sighed as she continued to stare at the screen in front of her. =/\= Ensign Markington to XO Brighton. Chief Richards will not be in attendance. He's dealing with new recruits ma'am. Would you like me to come instead? =/\=

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Susan Venator on November 16, 2018, 12:15:31 PM

Observation Lounge

Suzie half stood as Brighton entered and greeted them.

"Afternoon Ma'am." She replied before taking her seat, noting that the CSO had taken the XO's chair not the CO's, despite the fact that she was the highest ranking officer onboard.

She waited for Brighton to take her seat before she held up a glass.

"Would you like a drink?" She asked.

Quote from: Susan Markington on November 16, 2018, 02:09:15 PM

[bridge]
Susan sighed as she continued to stare at the screen in front of her. =/\= Ensign Markington to XO Brighton. Chief Richards will not be in attendance. He's dealing with new recruits ma'am. Would you like me to come instead? =/\=

[Observation Lounge]

Katheryn smiled as Suzie half stood from her seat as she entered and returned her greeting, offering the Ops officer a smile as she sat back down before offering the Acting CO a drink. Although Katheryn did notice how it may look at how she had taken the XO spot rather than the CO chair but would explain her reasons why.

" That would be great thank you Lieutenant " she replied politely before continuing. " If you're wondering why I didn't take the CO its because I left it as a sign of respect for Captain Carter as it didn't feel right taking it" she explained as Markington then hailed her.

Katheryn listened to what was said and it was completely out of character for Dean to not attend the meeting given that he was no effectively in charge of the Department and hoped he had a solid reason for his absence. She also didn't blame Susan for wanting to be part of the meeting, however there was still some things that she needed to learn.

With that in mind she tapped her badge to respond.

=/\= Brighton to Markington, acknowledged, I shall deal with Chief Richards personally and that won't be necessary at the moment, please continue your duties on the Bridge =/\=

Academy Commandant

Susan Venator

Quote from: Katheryn Brighton on November 16, 2018, 07:14:44 PM

[Observation Lounge]

Katheryn smiled as Suzie half stood from her seat as she entered and returned her greeting, offering the Ops officer a smile as she sat back down before offering the Acting CO a drink. Although Katheryn did notice how it may look at how she had taken the XO spot rather than the CO chair but would explain her reasons why.

" That would be great thank you Lieutenant " she replied politely before continuing. " If you're wondering why I didn't take the CO its because I left it as a sign of respect for Captain Carter as it didn't feel right taking it" she explained as Markington then hailed her.

Katheryn listened to what was said and it was completely out of character for Dean to not attend the meeting given that he was no effectively in charge of the Department and hoped he had a solid reason for his absence. She also didn't blame Susan for wanting to be part of the meeting, however there was still some things that she needed to learn.

With that in mind she tapped her badge to respond.

=/\= Brighton to Markington, acknowledged, I shall deal with Chief Richards personally and that won't be necessary at the moment, please continue your duties on the Bridge =/\=

Observation Lounge

Suzie nodded and poured the CSO a glass of water before handing it to her. She then deactivated the PADD that had departmental reports displayed before looking at the woman who, she supposed, was Acting Captain.

"Do you have any idea when we'll be getting more personnel Ma'am?" She asked. "I know Operations is not the only department that is short staffed, not to mention that we are missing two of the three senior officers." She added.

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Susan Venator on November 16, 2018, 07:23:08 PM

Observation Lounge

Suzie nodded and poured the CSO a glass of water before handing it to her. She then deactivated the PADD that had departmental reports displayed before looking at the woman who, she supposed, was Acting Captain.

"Do you have any idea when we'll be getting more personnel Ma'am?" She asked. "I know Operations is not the only department that is short staffed, not to mention that we are missing two of the three senior officers." She added.

[Observation Lounge]

The situation with Richards would be dealt with after the meeting and didn't anticipate any further issues, however these things were often sent to test the most hardened and experienced of Officers and becoming Acting CO was still very much a learning curve. For now she pushed it to the back of her mind as Suzie handed her a glass of water.

Katheryn thanked her before the Lieutenant then naturally asked if she had an idea when they would be receiving replacements and understood that every Department was stretched at the moment as well as them not having a CO and XO.

" I understand you concerns Lieutenant but I don't have any news as yet as to when we will be getting replacements " she replied " When we first set out after the last Liberation incident, I was made Acting XO as Command still hadn't made a decision about who we would be getting and now with Captain Carter missing and presumed dead, they accepted his orders to temporarily transfer command to the next senior officer which was me on the condition that we complete this patrol before returning to Earth".

Taking a sip of her water, Katheryn continued " However that's not the reason I've called this meeting although I do appreciate what everyone has done since we lost the Captain and I don't think I would of continued without you all and once everyone arrives, I'll explain more".

Academy Commandant

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Susan Venator on November 16, 2018, 08:49:51 AM

Observation Lounge

Suzie looked up as Ruth entered and smiled.

"I have no idea." She replied. "But then again, I have barely had any time to think over the last few weeks. Hopefully, we are going to be told what is going on and when we are getting replacement crew. I've operated short handed before, but never for this long and never with so many missing personnel." She added, taking a sip of water from her own glass.

[Observation Lounge]

"Tell me about it.  I can help out in Flight or Security and have done, but there's only one of us and only so many hours in one day.  The replicators can't give us more hours unfortunately!  I remember a series of old Terran books, about a young wizard and his friends, the girl wanted to study more classes so she was given a 'time-turner'... I think we need to find something similar to get everything done in one day!"  Ruth chuckled.  "Still, I'm working that much that when I do get to bed, I at least sleep, however the flip side of that is that stronger than normal Ratkajino is required.  That Will Waring has a lot to answer for!"

She stuck just the tip of her tongue out cheekily, knowing Suzie knew all about her past relationship with the Ops officer Waring.

Quote from: Katheryn Brighton on November 17, 2018, 06:23:43 AM

[Observation Lounge]

The situation with Richards would be dealt with after the meeting and didn't anticipate any further issues, however these things were often sent to test the most hardened and experienced of Officers and becoming Acting CO was still very much a learning curve. For now she pushed it to the back of her mind as Suzie handed her a glass of water.

Katheryn thanked her before the Lieutenant then naturally asked if she had an idea when they would be receiving replacements and understood that every Department was stretched at the moment as well as them not having a CO and XO.

" I understand you concerns Lieutenant but I don't have any news as yet as to when we will be getting replacements " she replied " When we first set out after the last Liberation incident, I was made Acting XO as Command still hadn't made a decision about who we would be getting and now with Captain Carter missing and presumed dead, they accepted his orders to temporarily transfer command to the next senior officer which was me on the condition that we complete this patrol before returning to Earth".

Taking a sip of her water, Katheryn continued " However that's not the reason I've called this meeting although I do appreciate what everyone has done since we lost the Captain and I don't think I would of continued without you all and once everyone arrives, I'll explain more".

"Ma'am..." looking round and seeing only Suzie there as yet, took it to a more personal level, "Katheryn... we're friends, more like family.  It's what we'd do even if we weren't under your command.  And well, we've seen from past missions how this crew gels together when the going gets tough.  We're here to help as and how we can and that's not just running our own departments.  Like I was saying to Suzie just before you came in, I'm more than happy to help in Flight and/or Security as well as Science since I've served in both those departments... I'd say Ops but Suzie's got that covered!  Pretty much anywhere bar Engineering, unless you actually want the ship blown to bits!"  she grinned to let the Acting Captain know she was only joking and had no intentions on blowing up the Athena.

"Oh and that includes babysitting if you and Dr. Brighton need a few moments for yourselves too!"

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Susan Venator

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on November 17, 2018, 08:50:03 AM

[Observation Lounge]

"Tell me about it.  I can help out in Flight or Security and have done, but there's only one of us and only so many hours in one day.  The replicators can't give us more hours unfortunately!  I remember a series of old Terran books, about a young wizard and his friends, the girl wanted to study more classes so she was given a 'time-turner'... I think we need to find something similar to get everything done in one day!"  Ruth chuckled.  "Still, I'm working that much that when I do get to bed, I at least sleep, however the flip side of that is that stronger than normal Ratkajino is required.  That Will Waring has a lot to answer for!"

She stuck just the tip of her tongue out cheekily, knowing Suzie knew all about her past relationship with the Ops officer Waring.

Observation Lounge

Suzie nodded in agreement, especially about Will Waring. She was just about to respond when Commander Brighton entered.

"Ma'am..." looking round and seeing only Suzie there as yet, took it to a more personal level, "Katheryn... we're friends, more like family.  It's what we'd do even if we weren't under your command.  And well, we've seen from past missions how this crew gels together when the going gets tough.  We're here to help as and how we can and that's not just running our own departments.  Like I was saying to Suzie just before you came in, I'm more than happy to help in Flight and/or Security as well as Science since I've served in both those departments... I'd say Ops but Suzie's got that covered!  Pretty much anywhere bar Engineering, unless you actually want the ship blown to bits!"  she grinned to let the Acting Captain know she was only joking and had no intentions on blowing up the Athena.

"Oh and that includes babysitting if you and Dr. Brighton need a few moments for yourselves too!"

Suzie gave another nod.

"I can do Engineering if necessary." She added. "I started my career as an Engineering officer before switching to Ops." She continued. "As you know I am flight rated and while I'm not Wyatt Earp." She said making a reference she was sure Ruth would get. "I can at least shoot a phaser straight. The only department I am useless at is Medical, I failed the only field medicine course I ever took." She finished.

CJ Dawson

Coming back from the last mission all was still a little of a blur for CJ. Thinking about it all it still made a knot in her stomach. Even though she didn't know the Captain for long it did something to her. Getting closer with the rest of the crew she felt their emotions. With Kathryn Brighton as their Acting Captain life did go on.

CJ was in deep thoughts, not noticing she was putting the same plant sample into the same glass. Molly was noticing that CJ was distracted and put her hand on her upper arm. "Cat, are you alright?" She asked and CJ snapped out of her thoughts. "Yes, yes," Of course she was lying and Molly did know that. CJ looked at what she was doing and sighed. "No, I'm not really fine. It's just," CJ looked up at Molly and Molly smiled back. This last couple of weeks they really became friends. "Yeah, I sometimes think of it too. But we need to focus when we are at work. And if you are really troubled maybe you can talk to someone about it?" CJ knew Molly only wanted to help but CJ just shrugged. "I'll be fine, but thanks Molly, I really appreciate it," She smiled at her and went on with the plant samples. Molly frowned but turned back to her work.

I know I'm only human, don't know how many sunsets I got left 

Katheryn Brighton

[Observation Lounge]

Quote from: Susan Venator on November 17, 2018, 12:45:00 PM

Observation Lounge
Suzie gave another nod.

"I can do Engineering if necessary." She added. "I started my career as an Engineering officer before switching to Ops." She continued. "As you know I am flight rated and while I'm not Wyatt Earp." She said making a reference she was sure Ruth would get. "I can at least shoot a phaser straight. The only department I am useless at is Medical, I failed the only field medicine course I ever took." She finished.

[Observation Lounge]

Katheryn listened as Ruth then Lizzie both spoke about how they would be more than happy to help out in other departments as well as how Ruth talked about family and how the crew worked so well in a crisis. Of course the Acting CO had experienced the trial and tribulations with them and come out the other side stronger for it and yet felt blessed to be in this position even if it had been unexpected.

No matter what odds were against them, they always managed to survive and get through it and now when they had faced something that could just as easily tear them apart, they were still standing. She also very much appreciated hearing their words and willingness to share the burden.

It was also good to share this private moment of them revealing what they were good at and hear about their successes and failures.

" Thank you both, its more than appreciated and I may take up on those offers to help with other departments " she replied " I'm lucky that I belong to such a truly wonderful and unique family and Ruth, I'm sure that me and Doctor Brighton will call on you to babysit when needed".

Academy Commandant

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.