Author Topic: NX Mission: The First Casualty  (Read 32572 times)

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: NX Mission: The First Casualty
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2017, 03:02:17 am »
Main Engineering]

Nervously looking around at the shambles of the Engineering room, Grace still couldn't help but notice the red power levels on a good portion of the ship's diagnostic stats.  Nothing was actively breaking at this moment, but she definitely wasn't pressing her luck. And as of right now, going warp 5 was not an option.  She hated being the bearer of bad news, but there was no other option here. She radioed the bridge. =/\= Sir, I hate to say this, but the ship can't handle what you're asking for. Right now, if  my estimates are correct, we probably'll be able to get to  warp 2.7, maybe 3 if we're really pushing it. 
We might be able to realign one of the warp coils  with an EVA run, but right now, unless you want ten minutes of warp 5, and then impulse all the way home, we can't do it.  =/\= "

[Corridor]

Tyvon was standing and watching as two crewman walked past on a stretcher, the charred corpse of a poor unfortunate petty officer being carried past as he watched. If anything, it served to both demoralize him and also make him strive to do better, to survive, and succeed. He snapped open his communicator, as he heard the message.

=/\= What part of the word 'need' made it sound like a request, Commander? =/\= he said, as he shook his head, wiping soot and grime off of his face. =/\= Take power from anything on the ship- even life support if you have to. We need warp five or the warp coils might be the only thing left of the ship.=/\=

He hated to say it but even if they did hit warp five, the upper limits of the enemy ships were not known. They might still be able to go faster. Only time would tell.
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2017, 03:54:01 am »
=/\= What part of the word 'need' made it sound like a request, Commander? =/\= he said, as he shook his head, wiping soot and grime off of his face. =/\= Take power from anything on the ship- even life support if you have to. We need warp five or the warp coils might be the only thing left of the ship.=/\=

[Engineering]

Bota sighed, shaking his head.  What did the Captain expect them to do, break the laws of physics?

Then it occurred to him what the Captain was really asking.  They'd explained about the warp coils in the damaged nacelle.  They'd detailed the need to go EVA in order to align them.  By insisting on Warp 5, the Captain was really requesting that someone sacrifice their lives by going outside and adjusting the coils.  With the enemy setting off periodic charges outside, hunting for the Lex, there was little chance of coming back in one piece from such an assignment.

Bota looked at the Chief.  He wasn't a coward, but it was a hard thing to volunteer to die.  He swallowed, took a deep breath.

"I'll get a suit on, Sir," he said, and proceeded to the Vac Suit locker.

(tags)
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Command Level Officer
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2017, 05:42:52 am »

[Engineering]

Bota sighed, shaking his head.  What did the Captain expect them to do, break the laws of physics?

Then it occurred to him what the Captain was really asking.  They'd explained about the warp coils in the damaged nacelle.  They'd detailed the need to go EVA in order to align them.  By insisting on Warp 5, the Captain was really requesting that someone sacrifice their lives by going outside and adjusting the coils.  With the enemy setting off periodic charges outside, hunting for the Lex, there was little chance of coming back in one piece from such an assignment.

Bota looked at the Chief.  He wasn't a coward, but it was a hard thing to volunteer to die.  He swallowed, took a deep breath.

"I'll get a suit on, Sir," he said, and proceeded to the Vac Suit locker.

(tags)

[Main Engineering]

Grace nodded with a look of exhausted concern. "=/\=  Yes sir. We'll see what we can do. "=/\=  As soon as  she hung up, she quickly placed a hand on the tall engineer's shoulder to stop him. " Bota, wait. Don't do this.   You're the best man I have, and I need your help right now. Her mind ran furiously as she tried to figure a way to get the as much power as possible to the ship. Just then it hit her. It was definitely untried and theoretical, but perhaps, it could actually work. 

We're in Starfleet here. Weird is part of the job description.

Click the badge to read my bio.

Offline Jettis Jyur

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Just this once, Rose, Everybody lives!
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to members who have contributed to the site by creating missions within the past 6 months. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2017, 09:14:43 pm »
[Science Lab]

"Yes, ensign." Mahak said. "Captain Tyvon has ordered us to find a way to detect these enemy ships. I have already began collating the data. Now we must analyze the sensor readings and find a solution."

The Vulcan gestured at the laboratory's readout station.

"These ships are emitting a strange energy reading, one that I am unfamiliar with. It serves to mask their vessels from any detection. In fact, the only reason we were able to take these readings is because apparently they cannot fire while they are invisible. Thoughts, ensign?" The Vulcan had a staccato, machine-like way of speaking, as if every word was a blunt declaration that brooked no argument.

[Science Labs]

Jettis nodded, sliding over to the station indicated, to eye the results fro the sensors. Listening as the Vulcan posed his theory as stoically as usual, he scrolled though the readouts, thinking.
"Well, there was that weird interference, that at first looked like an energy storm when the ships were flying beside us," he offered. "But knowing after the fact isn't very helpful, so we need a way to stop the from cloaking and un-cloaking at will. Or, if their shields are enough to distort their own weapons, we could try to replicate something to that effect?" He turned towards his superior as he spitballed the first ideas that came to mind. They might work, if there were any logical and plausible way to execute them. But they knew next to nothing about them, so there was no telling what they could do - other than what they had already shown, obviously.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2017, 02:48:53 pm »

[Engineering]

Bota's eyes widened as he considered this.

"It'll get us enough power despite the fissure in the crystal... but the nacelle coil still needs realignment, Commander.  Unless..."

He glanced to the subspace field control console.  "Someone could make adjustments to the field throughout our journey to make up for the misalignment.  But Sir, it'll shake us like an earthquake.  And without the upgrades to the EPS systems, we'll be blowing relays, fuses, and breakers all over the ship the whole time.  We'll be a shaking, exploding mess the whole way back to Earth space."

Still, it was an alternative to certain death... and he kind of liked that.

"It's your call, Commander."

(tags)
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Kira Wyman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2017, 11:18:26 pm »
Sickbay

Apostolos put his hand onto a steel bar and supported himself as he lowered his back to the wall. He sighed slightly, taking a breath and finally replying to the hail the captain had sent some time ago. The sudden increase in activity forced Arsenio to ignore the hail as they stabilised as many people as they could.

=^=Apostolos to Tyvon, seven deaths down here, around sixteen are critically injured, we have everyone stable but for how long? I don't know. We are doing are best but we are starting to struggle to find place for everyone
 I'll keep out updated.=^=

With that, Arsenio lifted himself off the wall and walked into the heart of the buzz of activity. He frowned and looked over at an ensign. "Get me a report of every single injured personnel in this room. I want to know what's wrong with them and there condition." Arsenio finished, lowering down to one of the ensigns to ask him if he knew who attacked.

Click Image to view Bio!
'Discipline strengthens the mind so that it becomes impervious to the corroding influence of fear.' - Bernard Montgomery

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2017, 10:57:00 pm »
Sickbay

Apostolos put his hand onto a steel bar and supported himself as he lowered his back to the wall. He sighed slightly, taking a breath and finally replying to the hail the captain had sent some time ago. The sudden increase in activity forced Arsenio to ignore the hail as they stabilised as many people as they could.

=^=Apostolos to Tyvon, seven deaths down here, around sixteen are critically injured, we have everyone stable but for how long? I don't know. We are doing are best but we are starting to struggle to find place for everyone
 I'll keep out updated.=^=

With that, Arsenio lifted himself off the wall and walked into the heart of the buzz of activity. He frowned and looked over at an ensign. "Get me a report of every single injured personnel in this room. I want to know what's wrong with them and there condition." Arsenio finished, lowering down to one of the ensigns to ask him if he knew who attacked.

Charles pressed his comms panel as he heard the message. Seven dead, sixteen injured, and who knew how many blown out into space.  He clenched his fists as he took the news, accepting it as his responsibility, but he still felt like he should have done something differently. The past was the past, in these circumstances, and they didn't have time to worry about it or feel sorry for himself.

=/\= Acknowledged, Doctor. I nee everyone we can at their stations, work your magic.=/\= he said, as he changed channels. =/\=Engineering, this is the Bridge. I need that power.=/\= he said, the ship ready to go except for the engines. Now it was a waiting game.
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles