Author Topic: Mercenaries  (Read 632 times)

Offline Arrun Dihsar

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Knowing your destiny is only half the journey.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mercenaries
« on: August 06, 2018, 02:31:36 am »
Curious as to what people knew of mercenaries in Federation employ or the laws it might have on mercenary work. How often have people seen them in the show, that sort of thing.

Offline Malik Grippen

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Buttery Sweet
  • Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:41:42 am »
Mercs are definitely a thing

Species: Risian | Age: 24 | Profile | Personal Log

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • Head of Fleet Media & Recruitment (Admin)
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:02:31 pm »
I could see Section 31 secretly using mercenaries.

The Maquis was a paramilitary organization/terrorist group.

Would they fit into the category of mercenaries in some way?

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.  Click to see my Bio!
Being kind to others helps to build a stronger community.

Facebook:  https://facebook.com/ShadowFleetRPG
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/shadow_fleet

Offline James H. Hawk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 10:37:39 am »

Online Solluk

• Command Level Officer
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 10:46:47 am »
Hello,

I do not believe the character of the Federation would allow them to publicly hire mercenaries in any capacity.

I do believe S31 and even Starfleet Intelligence might make use of them in a clandestine way, but such use could never become public.

I find it highly likely that many of the neutral powers and 'enemy' powers have used mercenaries at some point or another.   There was an episode where Quark mentioned that he could spend X latinum to get a couple Nausicaans and a fast ship.  Who would he be hiring, but Mercenaries?

In fact, I'd think you could reasonably run a sim about a team of mercenaries who do odd jobs for small nations, outposts, and colonies who need help.   

" If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team..."

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Online Solluk

• Command Level Officer
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:56:09 am »
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • Head of Fleet Media & Recruitment (Admin)
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 04:20:46 pm »

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.  Click to see my Bio!
Being kind to others helps to build a stronger community.

Facebook:  https://facebook.com/ShadowFleetRPG
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/shadow_fleet

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles SWU True Path Wolves of Lacuna Beyond Young Justice Champions Rising