PC to NPC Transition Program

Started by Vyrl, November 18, 2021, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyrl

I have an idea/suggestion:

I have only really thought about this today, so if there are kinks in it I do apologize. Though, this may also give the idea some room to grow as we speak on it.

When a person makes a character on site, and decides to leave, or becomes inactive after a while (I believe there are already rules on this subject) their character is then put into reserves (?), or archived (?).My suggestion is that we give the creator of the character an option to have that PC turned into an NPC after leaving/become inactive. This can be an opt-in-opt-out kind of thing, simply add a box to the character sheet/biography templates:

"[ ] NPC Transition Program [see rules]"

I feel this will eventually lead to more fleshed out NPCs to play. Now they have a storyline, a history, some personality to go off of when RPing them. Though, I suppose this could become a little heavy for the normal players, they would actually have to get to know some of the NPCs in order to give them the right voice. (not to mention the stories some of them have that my not be written down on their sheets if they have them)

If we/you all decided to do this, changing the character sheet template may be helpful. Adding somethings like:

"likes and dislikes", "favorite foods" ect...

May help make a more fleshed out PC, and in the end maybe NPC as well.

This may also lead to a different way to retire characters. I am newish to the site and am not familiar with the way that is done, but this way at least that character doesn't up right disappear.

If someone decides to play an NPC and add to their backstory, they can add this to their character sheet/biography (either to the actual sheet itself or as a post under that topic). If added to the character sheet themselves then an option can be made to have a designated color, saying, "this information was added after creator of original PC has left the site". That way, if it is an option, if that person returns to the site they can chose to keep all of this information that was developed while they were gone, or choose to erase it. But it is also possible that if a person chooses the NPC Transition Program, they would no longer have the option to play that character after they leave the site and come back. This would help with continuity, and is totally up to admins.

Sorry... it looks like a big vomit on the page here. What do you all think? Maybe someone can read this and word it better? Maybe this has been tried before? Is this idea worth it or too much trouble? 

Vyrl: Breen, (Male), Main Character, Vyrl's Bio

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.