Author Topic: S2 - M9A - Katra - Snake in the Garden  (Read 13062 times)

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S2 - M9A - Katra - Snake in the Garden
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2020, 10:33:32 am »
Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell (7 months pregnant)
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - CMO's office]

NPC Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Khan

At Tess' gesture to sit, Saqa7 took a seat on one of the chair arranged in front of CMO's desk.  The native woman listened to her friend describe the situation.  Saqa7 was a bit of recluse so hadn't been aware of how bad the situation had become with people's fear.   When Tess mentioned her announcement, Saqa7 gave her Commander a bit of an apologetic look.  She'd been working in the lab all morning and had planned to watch the announcement on video later. 

Saqa7, who had once been a medical officer, knew how difficult a situation it could be when the fear of an epidemic was looming.  She offered Tess an understanding smile.  A look of surprise crossed her face at hearing that Noh'ves and Tarin had nearly come to blows - but maybe that shouldn't be a surprise... the Captain was a Klingon after all and despite his rank he hadn't gone through Starfleet Academy training.  His mentality would be that of his people not the Federation.   Saqa7 was surprised that it didn't come to blows.  In Klingon society combat was an acceptable means of determining who was right in most situations.  If you could beat them into submission, you were right - they were wrong.

Sometimes Saqa7 wasn't sure that same mentality wasn't shared by some other higher up in Starfleet. However, THAT wasn't why she had been called to meet with Tess.

When Tess said she needed her - that was all that was needed to be said.  Saqa7 smiled at her friend.  "Of course, Tess.  I'm always here to help."

Saqa7 pulled out her PADD and sent a message to the lab with instructions on who could take over her current task.  She then looked to Tess.  "OK.  I'm ready to start.  Can you show me what's been looked at and considered so far?  I think if the medical department hasn't figured it out already then we need to start thinking 'outside the box'.  Brief me on what has been ruled out and we can build from there."

Although Tess had not doubted for a second that Saqa7 would not help her, to hear her confirming so readily had her letting out a breath of relief. Saqa7 was an excellent officer and mind you, she had been the person to tutor Tess during her field-commission to Ensign at the very beginning of her service on Katra.

At Saqa7's question, Tess turned a little to face her computer screen before she quickly located the results of the tests and analysis they had conducted in the past two months. She sent them over to her but summarized it verbally. "What we have ruled out? Everything that would make sense. That's the thing that is causing the problem. The clinical evidence says epilepsy, but none of the types would really fit. Tonic-clonic, myoclonic, atonic ... it's none of that. Usually epileptic seizures leave traces in the neural pathways in the brain, but the seizures the Meridians are suffering ... once the seizure stops it's like nothing had ever happened." Tess sighed and leaned back in her chair to look at Saqa7. "It seems like a whole new type of epilepsy, a Meridian epilepsy. We also considered other conditions that cause seizures ... syncopation, narcolepsy, dissociative disorder ... but if any of that was the case there are still questions that make the phenomenon we are facing unreasonable. Why are a whole bunch of Meridians developing the same condition at the same time? Why now and not from the very beginning? From questioning the Meridians we know that such a condition has not occurred ever before."

"Some of the Meridians - both affected and not affected - have agreed to wear a neurocortical monitor so we have constant data of the encephalographic profiles incoming which we can use to analyse and compare with the data we already have. I have Ensign Kumar and a small team working on it." Tess paused and took a sip of the camomile tea Saqa7 had replicated for her. "I have another part of the team go through the medical files of all the Meridians that have been treated around the time the seizures started to check if there was something of interest that might lead to a trace to the cause of the condition. But we might need to go all the way back to our first interactions with the Meridians on Katra. I know you took over when Dr. Moors was incapacitated when we beamed the Meridians up here." She paused as he kept looking at her friend. "The devil is in the detail, I think this will apply here. Since we have a bit of pressure with this, I need your help with it. We will start with all the readings we can get on the Meridians the second an atom of them materialized on Katra."

NPC Lt. Fabiano Moreno (Temp. SOO)
[Katra Station - Deck 3 - Temp. SOO's office]

Fabiano sat in his chair at the desk, a half emptied mug of coffee in his hand as he started pensively at a random spot in the room. He just had inquired on DS9 for an update on the unusual long opening of the wormhole before his thoughts had drifted back to this morning's announcement of his daughter. He had not been present at the promenade but he had followed from his office via the video feed. And what he had seen he didn't like. He thought Tess had handled it well, but he also feared that the tides might turn again and come back with more force than before.

<Katra Station - Security Offices>

" =/\= Ensign Wessex to Lt Beja and Lt Moreno...I need your assistance =/\= "

A call to his comm badge interrupted his mulling. Hearing Ensign Wessex calling for assistance alerted Fabiano and he put down the mug with a soft clonk and reached his other hand up at the same to tap his comm badge as he he leaned forward. Maybe there was news about the theft, and death of the Nausicaan on the station. =/\= "Moreno here, Ensign. Acknowledged. We can meet my office." =/\=
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:06:53 pm by Tess tLhoell »

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2020, 06:34:57 am »

Fabiano sat in his chair at the desk, a half emptied mug of coffee in his hand as he started pensively at a random spot in the room. He just had inquired on DS9 for an update on the unusual long opening of the wormhole before his thoughts had drifted back to this morning's announcement of his daughter. He had not been present at the promenade but he had followed from his office via the video feed. And what he had seen he didn't like. He thought Tess had handled it well, but he also feared that the tides might turn again and come back with more force than before.

A call to his comm badge interrupted his mulling. Hearing Ensign Wessex calling for assistance alerted Fabiano and he put down the mug with a soft clonk and reached his other hand up at the same to tap his comm badge as he he leaned forward. Maybe there was news about the theft, and death of the Nausicaan on the station. =/\= "Moreno here, Ensign. Acknowledged. We can meet my office." =/\=

<Katra Station - Deck 21 - Security Offices>

Just pleased that this request had not been delayed for reasons of scheduling, Paul replied in a professional manner befitting the circumtsance. "=/\= Aye aye, Leftenant. I'll be there momentarily. Wessex out. =/\="

Leaving the small security office, grabbing his PADD as he did so, Paul re-entered the busy hubbub of the station's Promenade, relieved that the recent public wave of discontent had receded. Not that he truly believed the problem had gone away. He had seen parallels during his time in NavPat - the Plankton Poisonings, for one.

And that whole 'AquaKhan' business.

The memory of that particular thorny issue produced a conflicted emotion, but he opted for the more positive of the two and allowed himself a bemused grin.

"Hello Officer" called out one of the shopkeepers as he strolled casually by. He smiled warmly and ducked his head in reply. "Afternoon, ma'arm"

"Good to see you, Officer Wessex!" called out another, and Paul found himself paraphrasing his greeting to the burly man standing outside his establishment.

The pattern of unsolicited welcomes continued as he passed through the Civilian Zone and he was surprised how quickly the merchants had come to know him in such a short space of time. In many ways, he was buoyed at the acceptance of his presence, although there had been scant reasons to be treated otherwise as yet.

And yet the home truths of Jacobs echoed in his head. Why was he here? After all, being a Security Officer on an outpost in the Gamma Quadrant, days away from even the remarkable wormhole and any meaningful Starfleet support, was about as remote from the test trials of the USS Varuna as was possible. Who exactly would think to offer him the opportunity to be a key member of Bridge crew at its commissioning; the skills he had acquired over the years had yet to be even remotely demonstrated. At this time, he'd be lucky to be considered for a night-shift ordnance supervisor. Indeed, Katra's own Commanding Officer was yet barely aware of his existence, the station's First Officer had been understandably preoccupied with the developing medical situation, and the Exchange Chief of Security had been largely concerned with more important matters, as befitting her senior position, while he continued his investigation into the rumoured criminal underworld of shoe thievery and thuggery.

He blew a mildly despondent breath through his nose as he told himself to focus on the job at hand. At the end of the day, he wasn't some glory-hound, seeking mentions in dispatches. Certainly he had never felt this way in the Patrol, and so he was surprised Jacobs's words had stung him so profoundly. Was he so at sea up here that even the smallest ripple risked capsizing his otherwise stable morale? Or was it something else he had yet to quantify.

Nevertheless, despite the turbulent undercurrent beneath the surface, Paul continued to smile, nod and conduct himself towards the numerous salutations from the civilian populace as he made his way to the turbolift.

If he was making a difference to these peoples' lives, then perhaps that should be justification enough.

<Katra Station - Deck 3 - Temp. SOO's office>

Standing outside, his internal doubts submerged beneath fathoms of professionalism, Paul straightened himself and keyed the chime on the door to Lt Moreno's office, holding his PADD with the latest.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2020, 01:16:36 pm »
NPC Lt. Fabiano Moreno (temo. SOO)

[...]

Standing outside, his internal doubts submerged beneath fathoms of professionalism, Paul straightened himself and keyed the chime on the door to Lt Moreno's office, holding his PADD with the latest.

Fabiano had, in anticipation of the topic Ensign Wessex wanted to discuss being that of the theft, called up the reports and information he had on it to refresh his memory. There was a lot going on at the moment on the station and it seemed like such events always waited until the circumstances were not ideal to strike with full force.

When the door chimed, Fabiano looked up towards the door. "Come in", he called out and turned in his seat to give Ensign Wessex his full attention. He offered a smile to the recent addition to the security team and gestured towards the chairs in front of his desk. "Have a seat, Mr. Wessex." Fabiano's Italian accent was almost non-existent anymore, just the slightest rolling of the 'r' gave it away.

Leaning back in his own chair, his eyes not leaving Paul, Fabiano gave in to his curiosity. "While we wait for Lt. Beja, maybe you can tell me roughly what this meetig is about?" He suddenly wondered if it wasn't about the theft but the slight turmoil that had been going on this morning during Tess' speech.

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded every January by the FCO.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2020, 11:30:03 pm »

NPC Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Khan

Although Tess had not doubted for a second that Saqa7 would not help her, to hear her confirming so readily had her letting out a breath of relief. Saqa7 was an excellent officer and mind you, she had been the person to tutor Tess during her field-commission to Ensign at the very beginning of her service on Katra.

At Saqa7's question, Tess turned a little to face her computer screen before she quickly located the results of the tests and analysis they had conducted in the past two months. She sent them over to her but summarized it verbally. "What we have ruled out? Everything that would make sense. That's the thing that is causing the problem. The clinical evidence says epilepsy, but none of the types would really fit. Tonic-clonic, myoclonic, atonic ... it's none of that. Usually epileptic seizures leave traces in the neural pathways in the brain, but the seizures the Meridians are suffering ... once the seizure stops it's like nothing had ever happened." Tess sighed and leaned back in her chair to look at Saqa7. "It seems like a whole new type of epilepsy, a Meridian epilepsy. We also considered other conditions that cause seizures ... syncopation, narcolepsy, dissociative disorder ... but if any of that was the case there are still questions that make the phenomenon we are facing unreasonable. Why are a whole bunch of Meridians developing the same condition at the same time? Why now and not from the very beginning? From questioning the Meridians we know that such a condition has not occurred ever before."

"Some of the Meridians - both affected and not affected - have agreed to wear a neurocortical monitor so we have constant data of the encephalographic profiles incoming which we can use to analyse and compare with the data we already have. I have Ensign Kumar and a small team working on it." Tess paused and took a sip of the camomile tea Saqa7 had replicated for her. "I have another part of the team go through the medical files of all the Meridians that have been treated around the time the seizures started to check if there was something of interest that might lead to a trace to the cause of the condition. But we might need to go all the way back to our first interactions with the Meridians on Katra. I know you took over when Dr. Moors was incapacitated when we beamed the Meridians up here." She paused as he kept looking at her friend. "The devil is in the detail, I think this will apply here. Since we have a bit of pressure with this, I need your help with it. We will start with all the readings we can get on the Meridians the second an atom of them materialized on Katra."

Saqa7 sat quiet as Tess listed out the conditions that the medical staff had already dismiss.   Then nodded in agreement as the CMO described what the necessary next step was.   "Of course. I agree."

Silently, she recalled the loss of a few of the Meridian's immediately after their transfer over.  It had not been a smooth transition at all from one dimensional state to the other.   Saqa7 recalled that it was after the tragic loss of the Meridian leader and chief councilor that Dr. Moors had need time off and Saqa7 had been called in to temporarily to oversee Sickbay.  "I'll help however I can.". Saqa7 assured Tess.

Anticipating that the CMO would want her getting started immediately, Saqa7 stood up.  "I'll begin right away." she stated.

Soon she was set up at a desk that Tess assigned to her in one of the medical labs and had full access to the Meridian's medical files.  Saqa7 started by delving into the Katra medical archives for the first ever mention of the Meridians - their very first scans after being beamed across from the non-corporeal dimension. 

At the time, Katra had just opened officially and the Meridian's - a known species whose planet shifted dimensions - had contacted Katra early.. from across dimensions, requesting aid to fully materialize.   Saqa7 recalled that there had been a sense of urgency with the mission and to meet it they'd needed to move the station with the assistance of the Ferengi and the Ferengi had even assisted with some of the beam ups

It didn't take long for Saqa7 to note something of interesting.  So far, of the ten Meridians presenting with symptoms, the first struck were those six beamed up by the FAS Rainmaker.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  But it was worth checking into more.  Saqa7 sent Tess  a message letting her know which in which direction her checking would be going for the time being.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2020, 11:08:52 am »

NPC Lt. Fabiano Moreno (temo. SOO)

Fabiano had, in anticipation of the topic Ensign Wessex wanted to discuss being that of the theft, called up the reports and information he had on it to refresh his memory. There was a lot going on at the moment on the station and it seemed like such events always waited until the circumstances were not ideal to strike with full force.

When the door chimed, Fabiano looked up towards the door. "Come in", he called out and turned in his seat to give Ensign Wessex his full attention. He offered a smile to the recent addition to the security team and gestured towards the chairs in front of his desk. "Have a seat, Mr. Wessex." Fabiano's Italian accent was almost non-existent anymore, just the slightest rolling of the 'r' gave it away.

Leaning back in his own chair, his eyes not leaving Paul, Fabiano gave in to his curiosity. "While we wait for Lt. Beja, maybe you can tell me roughly what this meetig is about?" He suddenly wondered if it wasn't about the theft but the slight turmoil that had been going on this morning during Tess' speech.

Entering the office, Paul nodded his appreciation of the welcome as he presented himself to the  Acting Strategic Officer, which - put in less flowery words - also meant the station's Intelligence chap. It was for this reason he had decided to approach the dark haired man - the ramifications of his proposed request could have some bearing his role. He noted that this Lt Moreno kept his eyes set upon him, and Wessex for a moment wondered if he were somehow being studied. "Thank you for seeing me, sir" Wessex began, in his well-spoken, gentle tone, opting to remain standing easy; unless it was at the Captain's Table, officers briefing their immediate senior officers remained on their feet in the Patrol, a habit he was finding hard to break even after 4 years in StarFleet Academy. One hand left from behind him, and he proffered out his PADD.

"My recent update of the investigation of the criminal element operating aboard the station" he began. "As you can see", he continued, laying out the various dots that he had been able to draw together in this short time; he wasn't much, admittedly, and some of the detail was made up of observations and circumstantial detail. He finished on the reason he was here. "The sigil found near the escape 'hatch' has been found to be an old pre-metric currency sign for the Ferengi Alliance; several thousand years old, in point of fact. Information to its history or current usage is scant on Federation databases, and so I'd like your, and the Chief Diplomatic Officer's, assistance in approaching the administrative staff at the Meridian Embassy; I understand there is a somewhat comprehensive number of Ferengi - indeed, all of the station's percentage of late."

He paused. "I'm certainly not prescribing any particular coincidence" he mused, "but there's either a connection to both facts that you may need to be aware of, or merely the chance of some difficult fallout from the ...affront...of being questioned at all. Either ramification requires mitigation with both your respective talents."

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2020, 11:40:10 am »

Entering the office, Paul nodded his appreciation of the welcome as he presented himself to the  Acting Strategic Officer, which - put in less flowery words - also meant the station's Intelligence chap. It was for this reason he had decided to approach the dark haired man - the ramifications of his proposed request could have some bearing his role. He noted that this Lt Moreno kept his eyes set upon him, and Wessex for a moment wondered if he were somehow being studied. "Thank you for seeing me, sir" Wessex began, in his well-spoken, gentle tone, opting to remain standing easy; unless it was at the Captain's Table, officers briefing their immediate senior officers remained on their feet in the Patrol, a habit he was finding hard to break even after 4 years in StarFleet Academy. One hand left from behind him, and he proffered out his PADD.

"My recent update of the investigation of the criminal element operating aboard the station" he began. "As you can see", he continued, laying out the various dots that he had been able to draw together in this short time; he wasn't much, admittedly, and some of the detail was made up of observations and circumstantial detail. He finished on the reason he was here. "The sigil found near the escape 'hatch' has been found to be an old pre-metric currency sign for the Ferengi Alliance; several thousand years old, in point of fact. Information to its history or current usage is scant on Federation databases, and so I'd like your, and the Chief Diplomatic Officer's, assistance in approaching the administrative staff at the Meridian Embassy; I understand there is a somewhat comprehensive number of Ferengi - indeed, all of the station's percentage of late."

He paused. "I'm certainly not prescribing any particular coincidence" he mused, "but there's either a connection to both facts that you may need to be aware of, or merely the chance of some difficult fallout from the ...affront...of being questioned at all. Either ramification requires mitigation with both your respective talents."

Fabiano accepted the Ensign's preference to remain standing with subtle nod and a friendly smile before he then leaned forward to take the PADD. While he listened to Paul's elucidations his eyes scanned the report he was shown on the PADD which made a good addition so he was in the know quickly. Maybe it wasn't much, but the task was tough. Ensign Wessex didn't have many clues and the civilians he worked with, like the shop owner, were not very cooperative. The other Nausicaan was nowhere to be found.

His attention was drawn away from the PADD and now fully on the Ensign again as he told him about the sigil that had been found near the escape 'hatch'. Fabiano leaned forward, his eyebrows knitting slightly as he wondered what that could mean. He had not heard of that sigil before, admittedly, he wasn't really knowledgeable in Ferengi currency. Or any ancient currency in general. Given all the facts that Ensign Wessex had presented to him, his request to visit the Meridian Embassy to question the Ferengi administrators was reasonable as it seemed to be the only way to take the next step in this investigation. "With the sparse amount of clues we have in this matter, we should pursue any we have."

He handed the PADD back to Paul. "You have my approval of your plan. I will provide any assistance you will need with this."

2 days later

[Meridian - Kir'Shara outpost]

=/\= "Transporter Room 1 to Commander t'Lhoell, Ensign Torland here. The last three of the Meridians have been beamed down." =/\=

=/\= "Understood. Thank you, Ensign." =/\=  Tess turned to Javed Kumar who was standing in the ship's sickbay. The ship had been modificated to serve as a dedicated research facility which included the sickbay and the science labs. "You will be in charge down here", Tess sad to Javed. "I want reports daily."

It all started to come together now. After her second announcement two days ago - which she had only done as a video message, there was no way she would put herself out in front of the pupulation again that day - she had feared that there might be new turmoils arising, but to her surprise and relief it had stayed quiet. It was a bit like in a horror thriller when the actor called out an insecure 'hello' after hearing a noise in an abandoned house - either nothing happened or the killer came for them by breaking through a door or a window. It was this tension in between that that Tess felt after her announcements had been made. But as the second day went by without an incident, Tess dared to build up her hopes that their actions had been the right ones to put the station's population at ease.

Or, the killer was already looming behind the door and about to break through. They just didn't know it yet.

[Katra Station - Promenade]

Aliki Papadopulos walked down the Promenade, a thin bag of take-out food in her hand as she headed towards the small business of the s'Movel family. She didn't think she had seen the older s'Movels in her restaurant before, but their eldest daughter went there once in a while.

As she approached the Romulan seamstress shop and was about to enter, she spotted Lared tr'Movel heading towards it as well but coming from another direction. Aliki smiled at him. "How fortunate that I happen to meet you here", the Greek woman exclaimed and held the bag out to him. "Just in time, it's still hot."

Lared stopped in his tracks and looked at the woman and then at the bag with slight confusion. "Oh", he said and grabbed the bag, managing a smile. Food that different from what he had grown up with Lared had difficulty finding appreciation for. His tastebuds were just not fond of new flavors and textures but he wouldn't blame his wife for wanting to try out new things once in a while. "Thank you."

Aliki chuckled. "Your wife ordered the food", she informed him and casually glanced into the shop where a couple of customers were looking at some of the fabric displayed. "So, how is the business going?" It seemed like it was a casual question among shopkeepers but there was something in her voice that suggested the question was just a starter for something else.

Lared drew his eyes away from the bag in his hand and looked at her. "Oh, it's going very well", he replied politely with an appreciative nod of his head for her interest. "I trust yours is as well. I see occupied tables whenever I walk by your business."

"It is, thank you", Aliki replied and now that the conversation starter was out of the way she could pose her question. "So, what are you going to do about the Meridian situation?"

Lared looked at her a little wary now. "I don't think I understand what you mean."

Aliki rolled her eyes with an disbelieving smile. "You don't find all of this very suspicious? You of all poeple are not someone who is that gullible, are you?"

Lared's face darkened. He found that statement rather problematic. But seeing that the woman had to say more, he waited.

"It's been months now that the illness is a problem, but only when they could no longer deny that the illness is contagious they approach us directly. Not with the truth though, no, but with audacious lies. Don't you find it curious that a person, who is not a Meridian, suffers the same seizures and then suddenly they are so quick to get the Meridians off the station?"

"Wasn't that what the people wanted?" Lared consciously excluded himself. Maybe it was because he knew the station's Commander personally, but he would not believe for a second that she would participate in a lie like this. At least that was what he wanted to believe. His people had always been paranoid, cautious, wary. And for a reason. But the Federation was not like that. He would stand for that until someone proved to him otherwise.

"That was their plan when they arranged the first announcement", Aliki coaxed. "They made us want to have the Meridians off the station only to be able to claim they followed the population's wishes. But in truth they just bring the Meridians to safety now that the virus is spreading on the station and leave us to be ravaged by the plague! I tell you - that doctor is just trying to hide their failure in handling the disease and now it's spreading."

Lared was not impressed. He looked at the woman doubtfully while he noticed that some passerbys had picked up on their conversation as they kept looking in their direction. "That is all very interesting. But I believe everything Commander t'Lhoell said is true and none of us has to worry." He gripped the bag tighter, preparing to bid his good-bye. "Thank you once more for delivering the food to us." With that he turned away and stepped into his shop.

Aliki looked after him, not pleased at all. "Fool", she muttered to herself as some of the people around her had started to mumble. Among the people she spotted the Etrosian Adryel who was a rather frequent visitor of the station. She caught his eyes as he looked at her insecure.

"Meridian illness?", he whispered.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2020, 01:42:02 pm »
[Planet Meridian - Kir'Shara outpost - Sickbay]

Tess smiled when the last three of the Meridians entered the sickbay. In the background there were sitting Melan and Dira. The couple had been beamed down the day before already and had already received their neurocortical monitors.

Saqa7's report from two days ago was still in Tess' mind. Six of the Meridians that had been affected had been beamed up by the Ferengi vessel, the FAS Rainmaker. They had no protocols from the transport of the Meridians they had conducted but it was almost too much to be a conincidence. The next question was what might have caused it and why four Meridians were affected that had not been transported by the Rainmaker but by the the station's personnel.

Nothing in this case added up.

Tess suppressed a sigh of frustration, telling herself she needed to think positive. They were working through logs and protocols from almost 30 individuals over a period of almost two years, it did take a while. And Tess hoped they would find the needle in the haystack.

A call interrupted her thoughts.  =/\= "Crewman Telana here, Commander. Ensign Yo-Na has reported for duty. He arrived today." =/\=

Tess tapped her commbadge. Very good. They could use every additional man in their team.  =/\= "Acknowledged. Thank you." Closing the channel she opened a new one. "Commander t'Lhoell to Ensign Yo-Na. Welcome to Katra Station! Please report to Kir'Shara outpost. I'll await you in sickbay. t'Lhoell out!" =/\=

Offline Dr. ta li yo-na

• Approved Applicants
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2020, 05:41:07 am »

Tess smiled when the last three of the Meridians entered the sickbay. In the background there were sitting Melan and Dira. The couple had been beamed down the day before already and had already received their neurocortical monitors.

Saqa7's report from two days ago was still in Tess' mind. Six of the Meridians that had been affected had been beamed up by the Ferengi vessel, the FAS Rainmaker. They had no protocols from the transport of the Meridians they had conducted but it was almost too much to be a conincidence. The next question was what might have caused it and why four Meridians were affected that had not been transported by the Rainmaker but by the the station's personnel.

Nothing in this case added up.

Tess suppressed a sigh of frustration, telling herself she needed to think positive. They were working through logs and protocols from almost 30 individuals over a period of almost two years, it did take a while. And Tess hoped they would find the needle in the haystack.

A call interrupted her thoughts.  =/\= "Crewman Telana here, Commander. Ensign Yo-Na has reported for duty. He arrived today." =/\=

Tess tapped her commbadge. Very good. They could use every additional man in their team.  =/\= "Acknowledged. Thank you." Closing the channel she opened a new one. "Commander t'Lhoell to Ensign Yo-Na. Welcome to Katra Station! Please report to Kir'Shara outpost. I'll await you in sickbay. t'Lhoell out!" =/\=

[KATRA STATION - SICKBAY]

Having just started his first shift upon the katra station, Ensign, ta li yo-na was minding his own business restocking some medical supplies when he gets a call to go to the kir'shara research centre

Ta li tapped his commbadge  =/\= "Ensign ta li yo-na here thank you I shall be there momentarily"   =/\= he acknowledged, finished his task and made his way to the transporter room.

Ta li  stood on the pad and let the officer know he was ready to go "ok ready to beam down" arriving at the kir'shara facility ta li made his way to the sickbay and greeted the commander as he arrived " greetings commander hope you weren't waiting to long how can I help"

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2020, 07:44:33 am »
<Katra Station - Promenade>

The two days since his meeting with Lt Moreno had been both slow and eye-opening in equal measure; the Ferengi staff at the Meridian Embassy had yet to respond with a firm date for this visit, no doubt partly due to the involving work transferring of Meridians to their neighbouring homeworld. With certain avenues of investigation on pause, Paul had forced himself to concentrate on other matters of Security aboard Katra. Rotas for rotation had placed him in a variety of roles - from guard duty at key sensitive locales to Customs inspection. The myriad of peoples in the galaxy was no new fact to his life, but the close proximity of such a wide mix aboard a small outpost hanging in the dark was certainly unveiling to a greater degree.

Today returned him to patrol of the Civilian Zone, assisting the non-Starfleet populace with all manner of needs. He had located and reunited the parents of an upset child, who had become entranced with the lights and colours of the Promenade and had struck out on her own; he could understand the siren calling. Other events of the day, thus far, had involved mediating a bill dispute at one of the station's eateries, a singular incident of drunk & disorderly conduct, complaints about product quality that risked descending into breaches of the peace, and various requests for directions to establishments that could not be read from the comprehensively, but not exhaustively, translated store guide terminals.

All in all, it had been rewarding, if not riveting.

But during all this time, there was a notable absence of two things: shoplifting. And Nausicaans.

Perhaps he was getting cynical too quickly, but to him that seemed quite at odds with recent days.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2020, 03:09:52 pm »

[KATRA STATION - SICKBAY]

Having just started his first shift upon the katra station, Ensign, ta li yo-na was minding his own business restocking some medical supplies when he gets a call to go to the kir'shara research centre

Ta li tapped his commbadge  =/\= "Ensign ta li yo-na here thank you I shall be there momentarily"   =/\= he acknowledged, finished his task and made his way to the transporter room.

Ta li  stood on the pad and let the officer know he was ready to go "ok ready to beam down" arriving at the kir'shara facility ta li made his way to the sickbay and greeted the commander as he arrived " greetings commander hope you weren't waiting to long how can I help"

Hearing him addressing her, Tess turned around to Ts Li Yo-Na. She had briefly read through his personnel file when the missive arrived that he would join them on Katra and Tess and to admit that a Klingon-Vulcan hybrid was a rather exotic mixture. Judging from his appearance he seemed to identify himself more as a Klingon, but it could be different of course.

Tess smiled at him as he greeted her, her uniform top stretching over the expanse of her pregnancy belly. "Not at all", Tess replied as he expressed his hope that he didn't make her wait. "We're glad to have you, we surely can need every additional help we can get."

Tess briefed him on the current medical crisis that had formed around the Meridian illness. Then she gestured to the last three of the Meridians that had beamed down shortly before Ta Li Yo-Na had arrived.

"I want you to provide them with a neurocortical monitor too. We have done so with all of the Meridians."

The three Meridians, two men and one woman, looked in Tess' and Ta Li Yo-Na's direction. They seemed to have mixed feelings about it.

"Will it hurt attaching it?", the Meridian woman asked Ta Li Yo-Na.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:44:08 am by Tess tLhoell »

Offline Dr. ta li yo-na

• Approved Applicants
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2020, 03:52:35 pm »

Hearing him addressing her, Tess turned around to Ts Li Yo-Na. She had briefly read through his personnel file when the missive arrived that he would join them on Katra and Tess and to admit that a Klingon-Vulcan hybrid was a rather exotic mixture. Judging from his appearance he seemed to identify himself more as a Klingon, but it could be different of course.

Tess smiled at him as he greeted her, her uniform top stretching over the expanse of her pregnancy belly. "Not at all", Tess replied as he expressed his hope that he didn't make her wait. "We're glad to have you, we surely can need every additional help we can get."

Tess briefed him on the current medical crisis that had formed around the Meridian illness. Then she gestured to the last three of the Meridians that had beamed down shortly before Ta Li Yo-Na had arrived.

"I want you to provide them with a neurocortical monitor
r
too. We have done so with all of the Meridians."

The three Meridians, two men and one woman, looked in Tess' and Ta Li Yo-Na's direction. They seemed to have mixed feelings about it.

"Will it hurt attaching it?", the Meridian woman asked Ta Li Yo-Na.

[planet meridian -  kir'shara outpost - sickbay]

Turning to the female and selecting 3cortical monitors "no of course not it goes just here" ta li  exclaimed gesturing towards his ear.

Putting gloves on dr yo-na asked the meridians to each take a seat in the sickbay "hi folks please take a seat and I'll be right with you"

After placing a monitor behind each of their left ears ta li goes to check they are working properly and says "ok folks the monitors are all working so we will get some informationsoon".

Ta li yo-na crossed the room to where the cmdr was standing "excuse me commander the monitors are all in place and I was just wondering about something" exclaimed the concerned dr

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2020, 12:39:09 am »

Somewhere on Katra Station...

Wrinkled hands placed the tissue sample on the cellular decoder, closing the sample chamber.  A pressed icon made the machine whir briefly, as a flash of light escaped the cracks in the sample chamber's cover hatch.  The computer made a rude noise as it tried to retrieve the data.  It was always difficult, because the quality of the tissue degraded with time and transport.  No care could be taken in preservation, as any such care would give away the ruse.  Instead, algorithms had been created to resolve the data despite the expected degradation of the genetic material.

Finally, an image was displayed.  Crude audio accompanied it.

"Greetings, Operative.  We have received your report of the ongoing events on the station.  The brash actions of the Ferengi are endangering our operations.  I have very little fear that they will come to understand what they are looking at, but they have attracted the attention of eyes we had wished to avoid.

While we have no direct neural scans of the lead investigator, research into Wessex has provided evidence that he is tenacious and clever.  Eliminating him as a threat has proved more difficult than we'd hoped.  Consequently, we shall deflect his attention.

You will find plans within this recording for an optical device that can be installed into any of the station's many lighting fixtures.  It flickers at frequencies which should randomly create seizures in most humanoid species, but does so only at random times.  There is an exception.  It will not effect Ferengi.  Inevitably, these seizures will be linked to the Meridians and create an inflammation of sentiment against them. 

When the lighting fixtures are discovered, Ferengi immunity will likewise be discovered.

In the bustle of implications, a theft of clothing will be forgotten.  I calculate that Wessex will naturally divert his attention to this new scandal.  By the time he remembers anything odd about footwear imports, our need for this communication method will be obviated.

Remember: The fate of the galaxy relies on our success here."

The image and sound dissolved, replaced by a replicator pattern. 

The operative knew what had to be done.

By tomorrow, perhaps the day after, Katra station would be the site of a wild riot fueled by the terror of an unknown plague.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2020, 10:04:45 am »

[planet meridian -  kir'shara outpost - sickbay]

Turning to the female and selecting 3cortical monitors "no of course not it goes just here" ta li  exclaimed gesturing towards his ear.

Putting gloves on dr yo-na asked the meridians to each take a seat in the sickbay "hi folks please take a seat and I'll be right with you"

After placing a monitor behind each of their left ears ta li goes to check they are working properly and says "ok folks the monitors are all working so we will get some informationsoon".

Ta li yo-na crossed the room to where the cmdr was standing "excuse me commander the monitors are all in place and I was just wondering about something" exclaimed the concerned dr

The Meridians did as they were told, but still looking rather wary.

While Ta Li Yo-Na took care of providing the rest of the Meridians with a neurocortical monitor, Tess used the moment to update the Ensign's assignment to the Kir'Shara. She already had an idea what task she could give him when he approached her with something. Turning to him she nodded her head. "What is it, Ensign?"

Offline Dr. ta li yo-na

• Approved Applicants
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2020, 10:24:41 am »

The Meridians did as they were told, but still looking rather wary.

While Ta Li Yo-Na took care of providing the rest of the Meridians with a neurocortical monitor, Tess used the moment to update the Ensign's assignment to the Kir'Shara. She already had an idea what task she could give him when he approached her with something. Turning to him she nodded her head. "What is it, Ensign?"

[planet meridian - kir'shara outpost - sickbay

Looking awkward and distracted " I am wondering how long I am going to be posted as I need to arrange care for sapphire my cat" he explained looking round the room for the first time taking in details

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2020, 06:47:46 am »
<Security Office - Promenade>

"Another one for yo-ou!" cooed Crewman Yasmin Warrington as Paul re-entered the Promenade's main security office. In her hands was a large box, filled to the brim with fruits, flowers and what seemed to a bottle of something blue. He pulled a face, an expression somewhere between embarrassment and resignation, and ran a hand through his thick hair. A card on the top sported his name.

"Thank you, Yasmin" he managed, taking the box from her. Tulaberry wine? He'd heard of it, but never had the pleasure.

Crewman Yelmetrei joined in, as she stired her caffeinated hot drink. "That makes the sixth 'care package' you've received in two days". The Efrosian tilted her head in mock curiosity. "Do you need caring, Paul?". His nose was almost swiped by Warrington's pony-tail as she whipped around at Yelmetrei's comment, cackling in delight.

"They all seem to think so" called out Petty Officer Trenvale, enjoying the discomfort the Ensign was subjected to. "A real welfare case, this one. Poor guy is wasting away with neglect. And all those keen, thoughtful individuals just waiting to lay their nurturing hands-"

"Now now Ni-Altoss, Francis" Wessex gently said in his polite, well-spoken voice. "It's not fair to mock those who have kindly arranged these wonderful gifts; or their recipient" he paused briefly as some sniggering punctuated the sentence, but he powered through, "but we'll do the same for this as we have the others: take an inventory, scan for any devices, scan for contraband, put aside items that can be gifted to those in need, and the rest add to the Civilian Lotto Draw prize pile."

After some groans at the lack of gossip and potential scandal, they all nodded in agreement, knowing that it would have been inconceivable for these to have been kept by Wessex or anyone else in Security. "Want me to pass on your thanks to this one on your behalf?" suggested Yasmin nodding to the card Paul plucked from the box as he set it back down on the desk. Her tone suggested it was an offer made purely for further needling.

Paul shook his head, opening the card and reading the salutation. His face frowned a little, as he didn't recognise the name; not that it was to be expected. "No, that's fine. I'll do it."

The chorus of well-natured taunts as he left won them a quick scowl, and then a wink. Further laughter followed behind him.

And in the box, buried beneath layers of produce and foliage, was one solitary shoe.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:39:16 am by Paul Wessex »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles