S2 - M9A - Katra - Snake in the Garden

Started by Solluk, August 14, 2020, 08:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess tLhoell

Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell (7 months pregnant)
[Katra Station - Deck 11 - Meridian Embassy]

Quote from: Solluk on September 12, 2020, 05:17:58 AM

Katra Station - Meridian Embassy

"Hello, Commander," a friendly voice intoned, approaching Tess.  "My name is Belladra.  I'm President Tarin's personal secretary.  Please, let me-"

She stopped talking as a new figure approached.

"Station matters delayed me," Noh'ves said as he walked up, "I apologize.  No dishonor or disrespect is intended."

Belladra smiled, "No need to apologize, Captain.  You're right on time.  Please, follow me."

She led them into the embassy, and several desks could be seen with Ferengi working at them, tapping away at the strange globular interfaces common to Ferengi consoles.  It was clear that most of the embassy staff were actually Ferengi.

Catching the gaze of her guests, Belladra explained, "We have entered into several agreements with the Ferengi to manage various aspects of our planetary administration."

Noh'ves' eyebrows lifted slightly, "I have been familiarizing myself with the history of this station, and the planet below.  Reading about Meridian politics.  President Tarin campaigned and unseated his opponent based on a 'Meridian for Meridians' platform, did he not?"

Belladra's smile became somewhat strained.  "Given that there are only 30 Meridians, Tarin reluctantly agreed to hiring outsiders.  However, he made sure to negotiate administrative contracts that preserved Meridians' rights to all planetary assets.  The Ferengi only manage our affairs.  They do not gain any ownership.  But with 190 million square miles of planetary resources to manage for the benefit of the Meridian people, and so many unknowns in the galactic landscape, it was more than we could manage.  The Ferengi work hard to benefit the Meridian people, and if we do well, they earn a small percentage of profits made via the careful exploitation of Meridian resources."

Noh'ves scoffed, "Exploitation, hmm?  I think some of their ways are rubbing off on you."

Belladra's smile faltered, but they had arrived at their destination.  "This is a private conference room where President Tarin will meet with you.  He should arrive shortly.  Please make yourself comfortable."

Tess turned to the young Meridian when she was addressed by her, smiling back as she introduced herself to Tess. Faltering at the woman's pause, Tess turned around to see Noh'ves arriving only shortly after her. She followed the brief but very friendly exchange between the two and had hopes that this very important diplomatic meeting might go better than Tess feared deep down.

That hope was dampened the subtle tension that developed after Noh'ves asking after President Tarin's campaign and the Ferengi assistants working in the Meridian Embassy. While Tess understood the reason the Meridians got themselves some help, she just might have not recommended to choose Ferengi for that, who were known for their slyness - which they seemed to have proven once more with the contract with the Meridians.
However, Noh'ves comment drew Tess' attention too. This was going in a rather diplomaticall problematic direction. Before Tess could come up with something to ease the situation a little bit, they arrived at their destination. "Thank you, Belladra", Tess said and didn't wait long to make use of her offer to get comfortable. Tess' back hurt, she could swear the baby in her belly was a boulder.

Seated now, Tess waited until Belladra had left before she glanced to Noh'ves. She really didn't want to sound like the ever nagging First Officer he must think she was, but this was a meeting to focus on things of agreement and not make controversal comments. Though the Klingon had said they would conotinue to do it 'her' way so she hoped they were on the same page about what they wanted to achieve here.

Tess offered a smile to him as she put her PADD down on the table she sat at. "This is not going to be an easy meeting. We will have to consider a lot of factors when we talk about the current medical problem and the concerns of the population. I am hoping we will come to a consensus about those matters."

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Solluk

Katra Station - Meridian Embassy - Conference Room 3

"The difficulty belongs to the Meridians," Noh'ves said in response to Tess' comments, "Not to us.  They are the ones threatened by this illness, and by the dangers of public unrest.  As I see it, our purpose is to make them see reason so that they take the correct steps to ensure their own safety."

Whenever he made a statement, it was almost always definitive.  It seemed that the primary frustration of his life was convincing the universe to conform to his own good judgment.

He turned his head, peering through the windowed doors of the conference room.

"The Ferengi are renowned administrators," he opined, "but only in matters pertaining to their own affairs.  The Meridians must still be very ignorant of galactic culture to trust them with the administration of their world."

Before long, President Tarin came into the room, the doors opening to admit him and then closing behind him.

"Captain.  Commander.  Have you found a cure," he asked without preamble.  As he sat, he touched a control under the table which caused a frosted effect to be applied to the conference room doors.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Tess tLhoell

[Katra Station - Deck 11 - Meridian Embassy - Conference Room 3]

Quote from: Solluk on September 13, 2020, 04:49:50 AM

"The difficulty belongs to the Meridians," Noh'ves said in response to Tess' comments, "Not to us.  They are the ones threatened by this illness, and by the dangers of public unrest.  As I see it, our purpose is to make them see reason so that they take the correct steps to ensure their own safety."

Whenever he made a statement, it was almost always definitive.  It seemed that the primary frustration of his life was convincing the universe to conform to his own good judgment.

He turned his head, peering through the windowed doors of the conference room.

"The Ferengi are renowned administrators," he opined, "but only in matters pertaining to their own affairs.  The Meridians must still be very ignorant of galactic culture to trust them with the administration of their world."

Before long, President Tarin came into the room, the doors opening to admit him and then closing behind him.

"Captain.  Commander.  Have you found a cure," he asked without preamble.  As he sat, he touched a control under the table which caused a frosted effect to be applied to the conference room doors.

Tess had to admit that it wasn't untrue what Noh'ves said. They'd just need to find a way to combine her cautious approach with his blunt one and this meeting might turn out really well. Or desasterous if their styles clashed too much.

"I agree, sir", Tess said to his first statement. "There is a Terran saying that goes 'The way is the goal'. To make them see reason, we have to make them want it first. I would like to assure them that they have our support, especially if the population turns against them, but we also have to consider the whole picture and make sure the station's operations can run smoothly."

When Noh'ves turned his head to look through the windowed doors, Tess did so as well while she listened what he said. To that she could only agree. "I wish the Meridians would come to us first about those matters. We could give some recommendations or even actualy assistance before they do something like this." Tess wondered if there was a way they could monitor the Ferengi's actions to make sure they behaved, but before she could phrase her thoughts verbally, President Tarin arrived.

Tess wasn't sure if his curtness was a sign of limitation of time he had or something else, but then again the Meridian President was always rather straight to the point. His enquiry about the illness made Tess assume he had not heard of the station's reaction this morning. That there had been an announcement was known to him, Tess had even invited him to attend - which he had chosen not to. She still wondered why.

Tess tried not to become nervous about the man's straightforward question, but made sure to offer a smile first before she spoke - glancing to her side towards Noh'ves in a silent question if it was okay if she spoke first instead of leaving the introduction to her Captain as it was appropriate. "Thank you for agreeing to this meeting on such short notice, President. We have put all of the avaible medical staff on the task of researching on the illness. Two of the Meridians that have been affected even agreed to be available for additional tests."

There then was a pause in which Tess cleared her throat quietly, preparing herself to switch topics. "I have made an announcement this morning. After miss Kincaid had suffered a seizure yesterday, there were concerns among the population that the disease could be contagious. I reassured this morning that was not the case, however, it manifested that the fear of that was quite deep-rooted in the population's mind."

Tess picked up her PADD where she had pulled up the video feed of the promenade where the events of this morning have been recorded to show Tarin.

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Paul Wessex

Settling into a chair in front of a security screen, Paul was relieved the crowd earlier had not descended into mass protest. It had seemed, at least for a few minutes, the situation was on a knife-edge. But the words of Commander t'Lhoell, and perhaps the intimidating presence Captain Noh'Ves, had tipped the situation in favour of stability. Yet Wessex knew that until the most vocal of those who believed the Meridian malady was not transmissible, the risk of eruption into panic and over-reaction remained possible.

Yet, as it stood, that was for another day. Another day where Wessex's over-riding of the station's Master-at-Arms was for naught; he was unlikely to have heard the end of it.

Right now, though, he turned his attention again to what he had termed the 'Unfathomable Fact-Finding of the Filched Footwear'.

Going through the security footage of the incident he had witnessed - or was that stumbled upon - Paul watched how the shoes the young thief had absconded with was placed in the window of the busy shop only 20 minutes before they were stolen. That seemed opportunistic rather than planned. Reversing the footage, he continued back to the point where the adolescent had appeared to the visual sensors; no footage could be found, presumably because they had entered through the hatch where sensors had no coverage.

The child seemed to check something on small card or paper - interestingly, not on a technological device - and looked up to the shop in the relative distance, back to the note, and up again.

So. Stealing to order?

Watching from this point on, yet again, Wessex followed the path of the thief as they wandered nonchalantly into the shop, feigned interest in several pairs of gaudy casual footwear, before distracting the owners with some seemingly difficult questions on the buckles of one.  For moment, Paul was a little disappointed not to have access to audio, but station regulations prohibited the recording of audio from private businesses. He wondered if any nearby Security staff's combadges had picked up any stray acoustics that could be enhanced.

Regardless to that missing piece of useful information, Paul watched as the shop staff spoke among themselves over the question raised, with the young Orion taking the moment to dive in, grab the now-infamous shoes, and make a run for it.

The rest of the scene was how he remembered it; indeed, he could make out his own head as he entered the narrative.

But Wessex preferred to watch the reaction from the shop owners. He could see surprise, then anger on their faces. But then..a nervous glance between them? Or was that fear? Of what? Loss of revenue? Perhaps? Or something more.

He leaned back, deep in thought.

Solluk

"I am aware of your public announcement earlier," Tarin said, a dour look on his features, "and I was not impressed with the public's reaction.  It seems to me that the civilians on this station are unreasonably trying to make a private Meridian matter into a public health scare."

Noh'ves looked at the Meridian president for a moment, wondering if he used the Ferengi as spies as well as administrators.  "The Commander quelled fears for the time being, which is good for you.  But I agree that the situation is volatile.  I wish to evacuate all Meridians to your homeworld so that there is no danger to your people while this is investigated."

Tarin glared daggers at the Klingon, "You want us to be refugees from our own station?"

Noh'ves leaned forward.  "This station belongs to the Federation, not to you.  And what I want is for you to consider the well-being of your people rather than your pride."

Tarin clenched his teeth and stood, "I am thinking of my people.  I have heard much of vaunted Federation medicine, but no cure seems to be forthcoming.  The Ferengi have informed us that they can contract medical experts from throughout the Alpha and Beta quadrants, bringing us the best medicine from beyond the Federation borders."

Noh'ves stood also, "I am a Klingon, Mr. President.  We barely believe in medical intervention.  And even I would not want medicine derived from the Ferengi method of hiring the lowest bidder."

Tarin reached out, poking Noh'ves chest with his finger, "You people always think that we should be falling over ourselves with gratitude, and that we can't manage our own affairs.  Well, maybe it's time for the Meridian people to stand on their own, and send you people packing."

Noh'ves looked down at Tarin's finger, his eyes wide, and his body tensed for battle.  It seemed he was a mere moment from unleashing a flurry of blows upon the Meridian.

Tess tLhoell

Quote from: Solluk on September 15, 2020, 01:56:58 AM

"I am aware of your public announcement earlier," Tarin said, a dour look on his features, "and I was not impressed with the public's reaction.  It seems to me that the civilians on this station are unreasonably trying to make a private Meridian matter into a public health scare."

Noh'ves looked at the Meridian president for a moment, wondering if he used the Ferengi as spies as well as administrators.  "The Commander quelled fears for the time being, which is good for you.  But I agree that the situation is volatile.  I wish to evacuate all Meridians to your homeworld so that there is no danger to your people while this is investigated."

Tarin glared daggers at the Klingon, "You want us to be refugees from our own station?"

Noh'ves leaned forward.  "This station belongs to the Federation, not to you.  And what I want is for you to consider the well-being of your people rather than your pride."

Tarin clenched his teeth and stood, "I am thinking of my people.  I have heard much of vaunted Federation medicine, but no cure seems to be forthcoming.  The Ferengi have informed us that they can contract medical experts from throughout the Alpha and Beta quadrants, bringing us the best medicine from beyond the Federation borders."

Noh'ves stood also, "I am a Klingon, Mr. President.  We barely believe in medical intervention.  And even I would not want medicine derived from the Ferengi method of hiring the lowest bidder."

Tarin reached out, poking Noh'ves chest with his finger, "You people always think that we should be falling over ourselves with gratitude, and that we can't manage our own affairs.  Well, maybe it's time for the Meridian people to stand on their own, and send you people packing."

Noh'ves looked down at Tarin's finger, his eyes wide, and his body tensed for battle.  It seemed he was a mere moment from unleashing a flurry of blows upon the Meridian.

The situation escalated quicker than Tess had imagined.

First she was a little taken aback that Tarin seemed to consider Katra being theirs. But the conversation's topic didn't linger long there as the focus soon shifted on the matter of them having not yet found a cure to the illness - not even the cause for it. Again, there was not a chance for Tess to butt in, but what was even more alarming was that both men stood now, glaring at each other. Tess looked up, momentarily starting to feel uncomfortable with the situation. She was here with two hotheads. That became more evident when Tarin even became physical towards Noh'ves. It was only a poke with his finger but surely for the Klingon it was as good as a punch in the face.

All of this had transpired so rapidly that Tess only now moved to stand up - it looked a bit clumsy and she did her best to not let the pain show on her face that stung in her back as she heaved herself up from the chair. She didn't have time to think of her words or how she wanted to say them, she had to act now and quickly.

"Sirs!", she said untypically firmly and sharp to get their attention as she looked between the squabblers and she kept up the tone as she continued to speak. "I understand this is a touchy subject and there are many things to be considered, but I would hate having to call Security here before we can have a decent conversation with each other." She paused, vibrant blue eyes that had an uncharacteristically angry gleam in them looked at both men. "The President of a whole people does not physically attack in a meeting", her gaze shifted from Tarin to Noh'ves, "and a Klingon surely can find honor in being above a provocation." There was another lingering moment of silent tension - inwardly she already prepared to slap her comm badge should both prove to be stubborn - before Tess' voice became slightly softer. "I understand there is a lot of frustration involved, but we are dealing with an exceptional situation here. I ask you to put aside politics and personal sensitivies in this matter and focus on the things that are best for everyone until things have settled. How are we supposed to keep the station's population at peace when we can't keep peace on a small scale, here."

She looked to Tarin. "President, your concerns are not unheard. As soon as Lieutenant Beja of our Diplomatic Corps is available, she will arrange a meeting with you and discuss all the matters that might be unsatisfactory for you." She hoped that showed their willingness to show interest in the Meridian's issues. Then she returned to the matter at hand, hoping to focus on solution seeking would help them to focus on that instead of each other. "We have a large team working on the research and cure for the illness. There are medical experts here on this station, we have the finest equipment, I need you to believe we are doing what's possible. Even if we would bring additional experts here, it would take weeks and months for them to arrive here."

"I agree with you, President, that the people's fear is unreasonable. However, this is not something we can control. We try to alleviate those fears, but we have to be prepared that they will not just disappear. Captain Noh'ves suggestion for you to stay on your planet", Tess made sure to acknowledge that Meridian was their planet and not the Federation's, "is the most reasonable and safe for you at this time. Only until we have found a cure for the illness. Not as refugees. The planet is yours. You can be assured that your authorities remain the same. We can set up a place for you to work from down there at the Kir'Shara outpost so you can continue to oversee your business like you can from here. Or at a place of choice, of course."

She hoped Tarin would accept Noh'ves suggestion. But Tess would not force it. If he chose against it, then they surely would have even more eventful days and weeks ahead of them - more than the prospects already were.

Solluk

Noh'ves had been about to break a selection of Tarin's bones, but Tess' interjection- of surprising force from one of her comparative stature- deflected his attention in her direction.

Tarin, for his part, seemed surprised to see Noh'ves prepared to unleash real, bloody violence upon a planetary leader in answer a mere insulting gesture.  He was not familiar enough with Klingons yet, and had overestimated the man's tolerances.  When Tess interjected, there was a hint of relief as he turned his attention in her direction.

With the tension thus broken, each of the pair seemed to back down from the brawl which had otherwise become seemingly inevitable.

"Very well," Tarin said, his voice suddenly quieter than it had been, "I will ask my people to temporarily re-locate back to Meridian.  But I will remain here, to be seen, so that people know that we Meridians are not afraid."

Noh'ves took a step back, and forced his fists to un-clench.  "I... appreciate... your willingness to compromise."  He glanced towards Tess, as though checking to be sure he was using the correct terminology and tone.  One could almost imagine that he had shared similar looks with his daughter at times in the past when she'd implored him to take a softer approach.

"I will order the increase of the strength of your diplomatic security detail, but keep them as invisible as possible, so that you will be seen to be confident.  With you alone remaining here, perhaps the mob's fears will not escalate."

Tarin and Noh'ves looked at each other for a long moment.  Each seemed to be measuring how far they might push.  Each, apparently, deciding not to push any further.

"I will allow the Federation more time to work on the illness.  And..." Tarin seemed to be tasting something excessively bitter as he spoke, "... thank you."

He reached under the table and touched a control, which returned the windows built into the room's doors to their transparent state.  Apparently, the meeting was at an end.

Tess tLhoell

There was a moment Tess suddenly felt insecure if her interjection had been too vigorous, but luckily it seemed to have just the effect she had been looking for. Belatedly she realized that Tarin probably didn't know much about Klingons. (Or Ferengis). Perhaps it would have been better to explain Noh'es reaction to him. But she had missed the opportunity and now it would look awkward. Maybe she could ask Beja to help him understand especially Klingon culture a little more.

After a moment of silence, Tarin spoke so quietly that it was a stark contrast to the heated tone that had dominated the conversation before that. When the Meridian President agreed to send the Meridians down on their planet Tess let out a silent relieved breath. His stipulation to stay behind on Katra was understandable and Tess hoped the people on the station would see that the same way.

Tess met Noh'ves eyes as he somewhat hesitantly agreed. She gave him a small smile and a subtle nod of her head, whole-heartedly approving of the softer response before he expressed the same hope as she had thought of about the angry mob accepting this solution.

Her attention then was back on Tarin as he allowed more time for her medical team to work on the illness. The bitterness with which he then thanked them was not lost on Tess and considering his remark that he was under the impression the Federation wants them to fall over themselves with gratitude for them, it was not abig leap to the reaction he was showing now. Tess really wanted to alleviate that impression and realized that this too was something that needed to be worked on. "It's really our turn to thank you, President", Tess said sincerely. "You have helped us in more than one regard already." She was hinting on agreeing to take the Etrosians as refugees. It was all the more astounding to her now that he had actually agreed on it.

The Meridian President then wordlessly declared the meeting over by turning the windows transparent again. Although they had accomplished a fair compromise, with realizing Tarin's negative feelings towards them, it didn't give Tess the good relieved feeling she had been hoping for. Nodding to him, Tess said, "I will arrange the transport of the Meridians down to the planet." She looked to Noh'ves. "I would like to suggest to release an announcement about the agreement we have reached with President Tarin."

Paul Wessex

As he sat there, pondering the latest, his combadge chirped. Taking a moment to correctly respond to it rather than going to his ear out of years of habit, Paul tapped the Starfleet delta. " =/\= Ensign Wessex here  =/\=".

" =/\= Sir =/\=" came the reply. " =/\= You have a call from  =/\=" there was a pause as no doubt something was double-checked, " =/\= the FNV Pariacaca; a Sub-Lieutenant Jacobs=/\="

Paul grinned. This call had come sooner than expected. " =/\= Thank you - please pipe it through to my terminal. =/\="

The channel closed and his screen lit up, showing the face of a woman in her mid-thirties, volumous hair like spun gold, and an expression of deep skepticism - or perhaps affront - but a sparkle in the eyes that softened the demeanour to something more playful. " Well, I wasn't expecting to hear from you again" Rebecca Jacobs started, pursing her lips in mock scandal. "How's it going, star-man? Got bored with saving the galaxy from evil robots and want to come back to do some real work?"

Wessex laughed loudly. Genuinely; then shook his head. "I guess I deserve that."

Rebecca raised a thin eyebrow. "Mm. I'll tell you - a lot of people weren't happy with you jumping ship; NavPat struggles with recruitment as it is, let alone when one of their own defects."

Paul raised his hands in surrender. "I understand. And I'd be more than happy to pay for my sins down the line, but I do need your help. Did you manage to see that image I sent over?"

"That symbol? I did." She frowned, and accessed something off screen. "You do know how to pique a girl's curiosity" she muttered. "Where did you find it?"

"Scratched into a bulk-head up here. What do you make of it?"

"Closest match I can make of it is some defunct Ferengi currency mark. Before they went to weight." she looked back to Paul. "What, your fancy Starfleet database not have this?"

"It does, but it's not nearly as friendly." He folded his arms, and winked. In reality, no-one had more knowledge of esoteric symbolism as she, not to mention a little more imagination to interpret the marking than even the most flexible AI system.

She laughed. It was a light sound; like gentle rain on a window. "Charmer. Well...if you ask me, it's the old Ferengi currency sign. Probably about five thousand years ago. Someone up there likes their financial history."

Ferengi? It was something, anyway. "Thanks, Beccs."

"Sure. Not a problem." She took a serious expression for a moment. "So what's this about? Anything we sailors need to know about?"

"Nothing so exciting" he admitted, with a small smile. "Just following up on some thefts."

She sat up a little straight, clearly interested. "Thefts? Smuggling ring?"

"Some shoes..." He could have lied. But he shouldn't be ashamed. Should he?

She at least had the good grace to disguise maybe 80% of the pity in her face. "Is...is that what you're doing up there?"

"Well, it's not quite the Algae Raids" he conceded with a grin, referring to the relatively recent Breen attacks on aquatic worlds to steal oceanic algae to increase their manufacturing resources, "but not everything can be about Borg Cubes or Strange New Worlds."

Suddenly her expression turned stern. "Paul... Look, you don't ant to hear this, but I'm saying it anyway: I think you made a mistake leaving NavPat. I get that you wanted to get ahead of the curve. But you threw your career away. What are you now? Back to Midshipman? At your age? You should be chasing your own command by now."

"Ensign." The truth stung.

Jacobs waved a hand. "Same thing. And for what? To be there waiting when that damn Starfleet usurper starship is deployed and rips the heart out of what's left of the Patrol?"

Wessex took a deep breath. This was becoming the conversation he wanted to avoid. "It's kind of you to help, Rebecca", he deflected.

The barriers came down like emergency bulkheads. "Sure thing, Paul. Don't be a stranger. But don't call me about Starfleet business again."

The screen went dark, leaving Wessex in a gloom that matched his mood.

Solluk

Katra Station - Meridian Embassy

Noh'ves nodded to Tess.  "When you make the announcement, do not position it as an agreement with President Tarin to get his people off of the station.  Say that Kir'Shara outpost's sickbay is being converted into a dedicated medical research facility for coming up with a solution to this condition, and the Meridians are temporarily relocating so that they can be kept under medical observation in the hopes of being swiftly cured.  President Tarin, unaffected as he is by this illness..."

The Klingon gave Tarin a meaningful look, "...will remain on the station to continue conducting planetary affairs."

Tarin nodded, "That is acceptable.  Summon me if you need a statement.  Otherwise, I will avoid public appearances for the time being."  With those words, he left the room.

Noh'ves reached out and clapped a hand against Tess' shoulder with appreciable force.  "Well done, Commander.  You averted an incident.  Now, let us solve this medical mystery before public fears become public unrest.  There are many enemies of the Federation in this quadrant who would relish seeing this station fail."

Tess tLhoell

Tess nodded to Tarin as he left the room before she felt the heavy hand of the Klingon Captain on her shoulder. The smile she gave him was genuine but it also was a little hesitant. There was one thing she had an issue with and something she had to speak about because it was not just her personal aversion but could also endanger their mission to avoid public unrest. Lowering her voice so that they could not be overheard, Tess spoke quietly to Noh'ves. "I think we will be good with Tarin avoiding the public, but ..." She sighed. "If someone finds out that Tarin was affected by the illness and the fact we let him remain on the station, they could use it against us to say we are trying to smother things." Tess looked really concerned. "I hope this won't happen." After waiting for a probably reply from the Klingon, Tess left with him to get things done on the ever growing to-do-list.

[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay]

It was only the beginning of the day, but Tess felt burned out and stressed already. She wanted to pull through and then maybe allow herself a longer break. One thing she had already decided on the way here was that she would not expose herself to the crowd again today but pre-record the announcement she had agreed on with Noh'ves and just let it play throughout the station. But first she had to make an annoucement to her medical staff.

Tess crossed the reception area, unlike her usual habit she ignored Telana at the reception spot instead of greeting her or even having a little chat with her. It was not that Tess wanted to be rude, but she was occupied with a whole bunch of other things in her mind that made her not even notice it.
Moving to the right into the corridor where the medical dispensary was, Tess entered her office - where she really rarely was anymore, she missed it - and walked up to the replicator while the doors to the office closed behind her. The mug of ginger tea with a lemon slice in it materialized in front of her and Tess picked it up and carried it over to her desk where she sat down at. She took a couple of sips and let the warmth of it calm her down. Her other hand rested on her baby belly, hoping for a little movement from her unborn son to cheer her up a little. Not the first time today she missed her husband badly. She would have needed him so much today. Before the upwelling tears had a chance to leave her eyes Tess blinked and took another deep breath. She needed to be strong and focus now.

After few more sips she put the half empty mug down and called out to the computer. "Record message." The computer bleeped in acknowledgement. "As per yesterday's orders the medical department is focussing on finding a cure for the Meridian illness. As it had shown, the public feels insecure about the matter. It's a delicate situation we need to keep under control. With that being said, I want you to forward any questions and inquiries, no matter from who, to me and I will be the only person giving out information or answers related to the Meridian illness. It is not that I don't trust any of you to be able to answer appropriately to questions, but it is of importance right now to watch our steps and to present a unified presence in this matter. Also, please be expectant of changes of assignments that might come in during the day. We have got this and I trust that we can solve this together as the skilled team we are."

"Computer, add signature and send the message in writing to all medical personnel."

The computer bleeped once more and then announced, "Message sent."

Tess took another sip as she mentally ticked off the thing from the list of things to do. Now to the next thing.  =/\= "t'Lhoell to Ensign Sula. Please come to my office. I have a special assignment for you." =/\=

Waiting for a response from Sula Niri Tess left the channel open and opened another one to call Saqa7. She knew she was technically assigned to Science but she knew from experience that Saqa7 was an excellent doctor and valuable edition with this. Plus, Saqa7 had been in charge of sickbay when they had dealt with the Meridians for the first time, so her input was all the more important. Plus, she needed a friend now to cheer her up and stabilize her mentally.  =/\= "t'Lhoell to Lt. Mountain-Kahn. Saqa7, I need you in sickbay as soon as you can. My office. I will arrange for a relief for you. See you in a bit." =/\=

Rayek trLhoell

NPC Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Khan
[Katra Station - Science lab 3]

Saqa7 had been relieved that she hadn't been selected to go on the away mission - with Tess remaining on the station while Rayek participated in this officer exchange program,  Saqa7 knew her friend would need more support than usual.

With Rayek and Tess being a rather new couple, it wasn't surprising that the two spent most of their time in one another's company.  It was only natural.  But that just made absences all the more jarring.

Last night Saqa7 had checked in on Tess briefly, but because of some important meeting Tess had needed to prep for Saqa7 hadn't actually been able to see her friend since Rayek left.  So having Tess call her in to Sickbay of all places set off all sorts of worried notions in Saqa7's thoughts... none of which she could discreetly ask about right now from where she was in the common lab.  It took a second for her brain to pick up on the 'my office' portion of the message.  The spike of adrenaline released it's grip on her.

There was also the fact that Tess was reassigning her which suggested this was work related and not about the baby.  She breathed a little easier before tapping her commbadge to reply back.

"Yes Commander, I'll pass off my work here and be there shortly."
A few minutes later, Saqa7 was entering the CMO's office. She smiled a greeting toward Tess.

"You look worn out Tess.  You do realize that if Rayek finds out that you have been this stressed.  He'll take it out on the rest of us, right?"

She walked over to the replicator.  "Camomile tea with honey. Hot" She picked up the materialized item and carried it over to where Tess sat in her office.

"There.  Sip on that.  Now what can I do for you, Commander?"

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Tess tLhoell

[Katra Station - Deck 22 - CMO's office]

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on September 21, 2020, 02:26:11 PM

[Katra Station - Science lab 3]

Saqa7 had been relieved that she hadn't been selected to go on the away mission - with Tess remaining on the station while Rayek participated in this officer exchange program,  Saqa7 knew her friend would need more support than usual.

With Rayek and Tess being a rather new couple, it wasn't surprising that the two spent most of their time in one another's company.  It was only natural.  But that just made absences all the more jarring.

Last night Saqa7 had checked in on Tess briefly, but because of some important meeting Tess had needed to prep for Saqa7 hadn't actually been able to see her friend since Rayek left.  So having Tess call her in to Sickbay of all places set off all sorts of worried notions in Saqa7's thoughts... none of which she could discreetly ask about right now from where she was in the common lab.  It took a second for her brain to pick up on the 'my office' portion of the message.  The spike of adrenaline released it's grip on her.

There was also the fact that Tess was reassigning her which suggested this was work related and not about the baby.  She breathed a little easier before tapping her commbadge to reply back.

"Yes Commander, I'll pass off my work here and be there shortly."
A few minutes later, Saqa7 was entering the CMO's office. She smiled a greeting toward Tess.

"You look worn out Tess.  You do realize that if Rayek finds out that you have been this stressed.  He'll take it out on the rest of us, right?"

She walked over to the replicator.  "Camomile tea with honey. Hot" She picked up the materialized item and carried it over to where Tess sat in her office.

"There.  Sip on that.  Now what can I do for you, Commander?"

When Saqa7 arrived, Tess smiled back at her friend. Just the fact that she was here now calmed her down a bit. At her comment about Rayek's alleged reaction, Tess chuckled. "I know, right." She sighed while she watched Saqa7 walk over to the replicator. "It's the circumstances, I feel like they noticed that we're in a special situation and they decided to become extra bad on purpose."

She took the carmomile tea from Saqa7 and sipped it slowly. The warmth of it was nice and she took a momet to savour it. At her question why she was here, Tess put the mug down on her desk, motioning for Saqa7 to take a seat if she wanted. But really, she was her friend, she could feel at home here. "I called you in because I can use every additional brain cell to work on the Meridian illness because we just got something similar like a deadline - at least it feels like it."

Tess leaned back in her chair and rubbed her tired eyes for a moment while she collected her thoughts. "Captain Noh'ves and I ... don't vibe very well with each other. Or rather, we don't vibe at all. I mean, I'm sure it's not easy for him as well, but since Klingon customs and the way Starfleet deals with things are in stark contrast, I am the one who has to rub it in his face all the time. I just come from a diplomatic meeting with him and President Tarin and had to prevent the two of them starting to beat each other up." Tess grimaced. "That would have been a desaster."

"I don't know if you saw my annoncement this morning. It got a little bit out of hand and there's a slight anti-Meridians-vibe on the station. Captain Noh'ves and I were so lucky to arrange a compromise with President Tarin to relocate the Meridians down on the planet until we have found a cure to the illness. But as you can imagine, he wasn't happy at all. He lost his faith a little bit in the power of Federation medicine." Tess looked said. This really got to her. Tess felt like she had already failed since it's been weeks now and she had not been able to solve this. "I can't blame him, I guess", she said quietly. "Working on this now is our priority now." She looked at her friend. "Since you were in charge of the medical department at the time when we first dealt with the Meridians, I want you in my team and work with me, mainly. I need you."

Paul Wessex

Shaking himself out of his malaise, much made by some painful truths, Paul centered himself and focused back to the case at hand.

So. An old - very old - Ferengi currency symbol. It was certainly an odd sigil to have scratched in a quiet, undeveloped, part of the station's public zone Promenade, and if it were not for the fact it seemed to be near an equally furtive escape hatch, he may have chalked it up to some signature of the bulkhead work-crews during the station's construction.

That, of course, was still possible. But it would take a Ferengi to...

It would take a Ferengi to know Ferengi.

"Computer - list the current location of any Ferengi on the station."

The results were, to say the least, surprising.

Tapping his combadge, Paul rose as he made a call, opting to go direct to two senior Starfleet officers, bypassing Lt M'Kai; considering the sensitive, diplomatic, topic he was about to raise; while he understood the Exchange Program, it was his feeling that this was not a specifically Security issue. " =/\= Ensign Wessex to Lt Beja and Lt Moreno...I need your assistance =/\= "

He wondered how his request to access the Ferengi administrative staff at the Meridian Embassy would go down.

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on September 22, 2020, 10:59:53 AM

When Saqa7 arrived, Tess smiled back at her friend. Just the fact that she was here now calmed her down a bit. At her comment about Rayek's alleged reaction, Tess chuckled. "I know, right." She sighed while she watched Saqa7 walk over to the replicator. "It's the circumstances, I feel like they noticed that we're in a special situation and they decided to become extra bad on purpose."

She took the chamomile tea from Saqa7 and sipped it slowly. The warmth of it was nice and she took a moment to savour it. At her question why she was here, Tess put the mug down on her desk, motioning for Saqa7 to take a seat if she wanted. But really, she was her friend, she could feel at home here. "I called you in because I can use every additional brain cell to work on the Meridian illness because we just got something similar like a deadline - at least it feels like it."

Tess leaned back in her chair and rubbed her tired eyes for a moment while she collected her thoughts. "Captain Noh'ves and I ... don't vibe very well with each other. Or rather, we don't vibe at all. I mean, I'm sure it's not easy for him as well, but since Klingon customs and the way Starfleet deals with things are in stark contrast, I am the one who has to rub it in his face all the time. I just come from a diplomatic meeting with him and President Tarin and had to prevent the two of them starting to beat each other up." Tess grimaced. "That would have been a disaster."

"I don't know if you saw my announcement this morning. It got a little bit out of hand and there's a slight anti-Meridians-vibe on the station. Captain Noh'ves and I were so lucky to arrange a compromise with President Tarin to relocate the Meridians down on the planet until we have found a cure to the illness. But as you can imagine, he wasn't happy at all. He lost his faith a little bit in the power of Federation medicine." Tess looked sad. This really got to her. Tess felt like she had already failed since it's been weeks now and she had not been able to solve this. "I can't blame him, I guess", she said quietly. "Working on this now is our priority now." She looked at her friend. "Since you were in charge of the medical department at the time when we first dealt with the Meridians, I want you in my team and work with me, mainly. I need you."

At Tess' gesture to sit, Saqa7 took a seat on one of the chair arranged in front of CMO's desk.  The native woman listened to her friend describe the situation.  Saqa7 was a bit of recluse so hadn't been aware of how bad the situation had become with people's fear.   When Tess mentioned her announcement, Saqa7 gave her Commander a bit of an apologetic look.  She'd been working in the lab all morning and had planned to watch the announcement on video later.

Saqa7, who had once been a medical officer, knew how difficult a situation it could be when the fear of an epidemic was looming.  She offered Tess an understanding smile.  A look of surprise crossed her face at hearing that Noh'ves and Tarin had nearly come to blows - but maybe that shouldn't be a surprise... the Captain was a Klingon after all and despite his rank he hadn't gone through Starfleet Academy training.  His mentality would be that of his people not the Federation.   Saqa7 was surprised that it didn't come to blows.  In Klingon society combat was an acceptable means of determining who was right in most situations.  If you could beat them into submission, you were right - they were wrong.

Sometimes Saqa7 wasn't sure that same mentality wasn't shared by some other higher up in Starfleet. However, THAT wasn't why she had been called to meet with Tess.

When Tess said she needed her - that was all that was needed to be said.  Saqa7 smiled at her friend.  "Of course, Tess.  I'm always here to help."

Saqa7 pulled out her PADD and sent a message to the lab with instructions on who could take over her current task.  She then looked to Tess.  "OK.  I'm ready to start.  Can you show me what's been looked at and considered so far?  I think if the medical department hasn't figured it out already then we need to start thinking 'outside the box'.  Brief me on what has been ruled out and we can build from there."

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.