Author Topic: S2 - M9A - Katra - Snake in the Garden  (Read 13075 times)

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S2 - M9A - Katra - Snake in the Garden
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 05:38:32 am »
<Katra Station - Officer's Mess - the Evening of the Lod Qan's departure>

Nodding, Paul settled into more familiar, if not unorthodox, oceans. Laying out the events over the last few days, he covered the incident of the first-considered simple (if not disruptive) series of thefts from Promenade merchants, concentrating around, but not exclusively the shoe shop trader. He continued on to tracking one particular adolescent Orion thief to an until-then unknown modification to the Promenade interior structure, and their subsequent use thereof to escape into the conduits for parts not yet known. He then turned to, perhaps the most interesting to the Klingons, the surprise assault upon himself by a mildly-familiar Nausicaan, their exchange of words, intent, and mention of a 'Mereath', culminating in their apprehension by SCPO Solen...and their confounding suicide by the very pill they were trying to force down Wessex's own throat, rather than being taken in for questioning.

There, he paused for a moment, and glanced at Tess before continuing with his visit to the station mortuary and Ensign Darrow's 'helpful' analysis of the means of the Nausicaan's self-murder - an unusual, largely inefficient - but yet perhaps tailored for him by means of an ironic message to others - hyper-nitrogenic reaction causing massive arterial gas embolism in the blood...or, in simpler parlance, the hyper-bends.

Capping this off, he raised that he would like permission to task the internal sensors to locate the current whereabouts, or last known position, of the Nausicaan's compatriot who had - as yet - not materialised. Paul then raised his concerns about the reluctance to cooperate, with future discrepancies in witness statements, by the very traders which had been the victim of the initial crime, raised more questions than answers; and of his initial concerns that the journalist's collapse was in some way related; fortunately, that seemed not to be the case, despite the uncomfortable timings.

And then he was done. From previous conversations this evening, Paul was anticipating a suggestion from the Acting Chief of Security, and the Acting Commanding Officer, that the entire Promenade be locked down, everyone taken into custody, and the internal bulkheads be torn asunder in searching for one young thief and a single Nausicaan.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2020, 09:33:29 am »
Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell (7 months pregnant)
+ NPC Lt. Fabiano Moreno (Acting SOO)

[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Officer's Mess - evening of day 4]

Tess listened attentively to Paul Wessex' report. Parts of that she already knew, but other parts she didn't and some of what she learned now was rather concerning to her. The look the Ensign gave her when he spoke of Ensign Darrow was not lost on her and she returned the look with a knowing one. She knew more than anyone that he could be quite a handful.

When he ended, Tess was urged to ask the questions that concerned her the most. "You said the Nausicaan was mildly familiar to you? Do you think it is possible that the means of killing you resp. themselves was tailored to you?" She found the thought very alarming. "Is there someone in your past who would have a reason to come after you?"

Fabiano next to her swallowed the bite he have had and cleared his throat before he added some information to Paul's report. "I've had some time earlier to look into what Mereath is. Unfortunately it wasn't very successful. The name - whatever it represents - used to crop up in the Orion Syndicate but it never was revealed or debunked what or who Mereath was."

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 09:56:16 am »

When he ended, Tess was urged to ask the questions that concerned her the most. "You said the Nausicaan was mildly familiar to you? Do you think it is possible that the means of killing you resp. themselves was tailored to you?" She found the thought very alarming. "Is there someone in your past who would have a reason to come after you?"

Paul shook his head. "No, ma'arm. To my knowledge, I first encountered both Nausicaans only on the public transport I took to the station for", he paused, wondering how to phrase it, "logistical reasons" he decided upon, opting not to embellish his decision on the manner of conveyance any more practically than it sounded. It wouldn't do to be seen as some romantic wide-eyed, star-stunned fish-out-of-water more than he seemed to have been already. He'd have to watch that. "They were their customary belligerent selves, but aside from a frank discussion as to how to behave around minors, my interaction for the duration was limited. They certainly gave me no reason to suspect we had met before, and while Nausicaan's can be vengeful, even they never stoop to attempted murder for a few stern exchanged words. In fact" he adopted a wry grin, "in my experience, they prefer it to the flowery language of diplomacy."

HIs eyes darted to Beja, suddenly realising the other table guests. "Clearly no offence intended, Leftenant." he clarified quickly.

Fabiano next to her swallowed the bite he have had and cleared his throat before he added some information to Paul's report. "I've had some time earlier to look into what Mereath is. Unfortunately it wasn't very successful. The name - whatever it represents - used to crop up in the Orion Syndicate but it never was revealed or debunked what or who Mereath was."

At that, Paul leaned back and tried not to look thoroughly frustrated. Another dead end.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2020, 05:59:44 pm »

NPC Major Telmuk tr'Lhoell
[Tryka system - Tryka IV - capital city]

Riov (Commander) Kemala t'Lhoell of the New Romulus Republic
[ChR Vauthil - Romulan space - Commanding officer's office]

Kemala didn’t have to wait long for her brother to accept the call. The visual of him appearing on her computer screen was bit strange. He didn’t look directly at the phone but held it low so she had a view from a rather unflattering angle on him. She could make out the civilian attire he wore and that he was at a more or less public place. So he must be off duty.

Jolan tru, dinam (*brother). I’m sorry to interrupt your leisure time. When you hear the news I just received you will forget about that quickly.“ In her hand she held the other full glass of alcoholic beverage Velak had replicated for them as she looked at the screen with a subtle grin. She couldn’t wait to tell him the news. „It has been brought to my attention that a human woman is seeking information of the whereabouts of ... our father.“ She paused briefly. It hadn’t been easy for both of them after Talen and also Rayek had disappeared. „The  woman who is asking about our father claims to be married to a … how did Taheen put it … 'relocated Romulan' and she also claims to know that father had been in faicol lhui about 15 years ago.“

She paused once again to take a long slow sip of the strong alcoholic beverage. „What do you think about that, my dear brother?!“ She started to grin, waiting to see the same excitement on his face as she expected he would draw the same conclusions as her. "The source is absolutely trustworthy. Sub-Commander t'Movel brought the woman into contact with the Arrain of the S'ten in a matter of mnhei'sahe." Kemala leaned forward the grin showing fully on her face now. "Who do you think that Romulan could be?"

That his sister thought he was on leisure time was amusing.  Telmuk was rather certain he hadn't had a moment of leisure since his recruitment into the Tal'Shiar following Hobus.  His offer of recruitment hadn't been so much an offer than a demand, with consequences should he decline.  Besides which Vandar could be quite convincing. Telmuk had the scars to prove that.

Dividing his attention between his sister's call and the target, Telmuk kept his eyes alternating between the two until Kemala spoke of a human woman inquiring about their father.   Afterwards, his attention focused more on his sister, and he raised the comm device to more face level stepping further to a more secluded space.  "Who? Whatever for?" he murmured more to himself - trying to puzzle why a human woman would be interested in the fate of their father.

Kemala seemed to heard his questions as she went on say more about this woman.  Notably that she claimed to be married to a "relocated" Romulan.  His expression twitched into a sneer at the brazen gall of this woman to think that because she married a traitor that gave her any standing among the Rihannsu.  The news about Faicol lhui was interesting.  It was a place political dissidents had been often sent prior to the riots.  Vandar had more than once hinted at Telmuk being sent to a place like it for a 'fate worse than death' if Telmuk didn't live up to Vandar's expectations. It was quite likely that his disappearance 12 years ago could have been him being quietly incarcerated there and not the criminal activity it was believed to be. 

Kemala seemed to be reveling in breaking this news to him.  He noted her watching him closely.  Why?  Was something she was expecting him to deduce?  Something he was apparently overlooking.  When his sister went on to say that the source was trustworthy, he was about to scoff until she dropped the name t'Movel.  Sub-Commander t'Movel was a bit of a local hero to him while growing up. That she would vouch for this human woman was quite unbelievable. 

When questioned as to who he thought the Romulan could be...  even then Telmuk's mind was finding alternatives. Skirting what he subconsciouly didn't want known.  "t'Movel had a son... Lared wasn't it?  But why would Lared's wife be asking about father."

Then the pieces came together.  Father and Rayek missing ... Father believed to be at Faicol lhui 12 years ago when he disappeared.  This human woman's interest in Father.  His older brother's fascination with all things human...  Telmuk's thoughts froze. 

He locked eyes with Kemala.  "You think this woman's husband is our brother" he stated incredulous. Then shook his head with a frown.

Telmuk wished he hadn't accepted the call.  Wished he hadn't put the pieces of Kemala's puzzle together.  Nothing good was going to come of this. 

"That's wishful thinking, sister.  I think if Father had been at faicol lhui secretly, rather than being arrested publicly then those who did so would not want it known... to save face for the family.  Investigating may stir up more trouble than is wise.  I suggest you drop it."

He should really take his own advice, but Telmuk was already thinking of how he might be able to discern the truth and where he could seek to get confirmation of the actually prison records. 

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline L'mar Camili Rhade

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2020, 08:40:36 pm »
[ Ensign L'mar Rhade ] | [ Promenade - Katra Station - Day 4 ]

Rhade had his mother on his right arm while his father walked proudly beside him, they were in companionable silence. This was odd for his father, Rhade wondered why, though they were inspecting all the wares of the shops as they went.

”Isss everrrything okay Fatherrr?” L’mar asked cautiously.

”I think it is that we just miss you greatly son, more than before when you went to the Academy.” Valerian said, his eyes soft and loving as he looked upon his son.
”You arrre all grrown up,” Jem said, purred sadly but happily.

Immediately he wanted to cry but forced calmness to his body. Rhade hadn’t been prepared for his parents finally acknowledging that he was no longer their little cub so soon, especially from his mother. ”You both have rrraised me well, howeverrr, somewhat conflicted on how.” L’mar chuckled as he looked back on his childhood, and not so long ago.

His parents clearly had been in denial about their son seeking his own path, finding purpose among the stars in Starfleet, that didn’t include them, left them nostalgic for the early days of his childhood. He wouldn’t understand that until he had offspring of his own, far too early to be having those kinds of lifetime reflections.

”Yesss we did,” Jem said with a grin as he eyed, loving of course, her husband.

”Yes, I wish we had all of that sorted before you joined us, in hindsight I think we weren’t fully prepared for you, I am sorry for that, but yes I am proud of you Ensign.” Valerian reflected then grinned as he shared a look with Pa’jem.

Rhade tightened his grip on his emotional control, this was hammering at it with abandon. ”Thank you Fatherrr, I love you both.” L’mar replied, he would not lose it on the Promenade.

”Why a ssstation ssson?” Jem said with a pur, she knew this conversation was going to end with them all crying and hugging later so changed the direction of it.

”It’sss on the frrrontierrr.” L’mar said with a happy grin. ”I will get to encounterrr the new beforrre anyone else.”

”You cunning little...” Valerian joked with a smirk.

A laugh escaped Rhade and he puffed up proudly, they all laughed as they continued to walk amongst those around them doing whatever they were on the Promenade for. Some did spare them glances wondering what they were laughing at but carried on.

”I look forrrwarrrd to yourrr ssstorrriesss of adventurrre and dissscoverrry.” Jem said her purring and tail swishing about as was Rhade’s. They occasionally hit each other with them playfully and they entered a few more shops.

”Alright food break.” Valerian stated and led them to one of the replimats, he pulled out a chair for his wife and Rhade had to get another chair from another empty table to join them as there were only two chairs. Valerian went to the replicator and ordered food, beverages and desserts, he came back with a tray. They dug in.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2020, 11:11:47 pm »

Katra Station - Officer's Mess - the Evening of the Lod Qan's departure

Tolec stopped chewing his food and nodded his head appreciatively.  "A nitrogen-based poison pill is a brilliant idea.  Nitrogen, being so common an element, would not trigger any security scanners.  It is quite literally in the air we breathe.  You could even beam it aboard station, and it would not trigger any of the transporter filters or alerts."

M'kai took a drink from her goblet, setting it down with a thoughtful look on her face.  "Yes... But now that you know their trick, it is a beacon.  You have the means to detect every member of this criminal cabal, if this poison is a standard item in their proverbial toolkit. 

Use the internal sensors, yes.  Not to detect the presence of nitrogen, but to detect the unusual concentration of it in their poison.  Wherever the sensors detect this concentrated nitrogen, there you will find a conspirator."

"Will that work?"  Noh'ves asked, setting down his latest claw.  He had been about to propose a general round-up of all Nausicaans, but this more targeted approach seemed superior.
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Beja

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2020, 01:41:11 am »
Katra Station - Officers Mess - Evening of Day 4

Beja had found her mind drifting to all the challenges that she would have with getting the Meridian Ambassador to trust and allow Katra medical personnel to help his people, and balance out the current Captain of the station’s different leadership style. This diplomatic working relationship between the three governing groups was going to be quite difficult. Balancing just one group’s needs could be hard to do, but three different groups would be almost impossible. But Beja embraced the challenge and was optimistic at always that like any problem, a solution could and would be found!

Finally the words of others began to sink into her own rapidly moving thoughts, and Beja smiled over at the new human male security ensign, Paul. “No offense taken at all, and please call me Beja.”

Beja listened to the different suggestions on how to seek out the enemy, and she was quite impressed by M’kai’s idea. “We will of course get a small amount of people who may not be part of the organization and are using this compound for other reasons, but it is a brilliant idea on how to track down the criminal members.”

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 03:34:58 pm »

Paul shook his head. "No, ma'arm. To my knowledge, I first encountered both Nausicaans only on the public transport I took to the station for", he paused, wondering how to phrase it, "logistical reasons" he decided upon, opting not to embellish his decision on the manner of conveyance any more practically than it sounded. It wouldn't do to be seen as some romantic wide-eyed, star-stunned fish-out-of-water more than he seemed to have been already. He'd have to watch that. "They were their customary belligerent selves, but aside from a frank discussion as to how to behave around minors, my interaction for the duration was limited. They certainly gave me no reason to suspect we had met before, and while Nausicaan's can be vengeful, even they never stoop to attempted murder for a few stern exchanged words. In fact" he adopted a wry grin, "in my experience, they prefer it to the flowery language of diplomacy."

HIs eyes darted to Beja, suddenly realising the other table guests. "Clearly no offence intended, Leftenant." he clarified quickly.

At that, Paul leaned back and tried not to look thoroughly frustrated. Another dead end.

Katra Station - Officer's Mess - the Evening of the Lod Qan's departure

Tolec stopped chewing his food and nodded his head appreciatively.  "A nitrogen-based poison pill is a brilliant idea.  Nitrogen, being so common an element, would not trigger any security scanners.  It is quite literally in the air we breathe.  You could even beam it aboard station, and it would not trigger any of the transporter filters or alerts."

M'kai took a drink from her goblet, setting it down with a thoughtful look on her face.  "Yes... But now that you know their trick, it is a beacon.  You have the means to detect every member of this criminal cabal, if this poison is a standard item in their proverbial toolkit. 

Use the internal sensors, yes.  Not to detect the presence of nitrogen, but to detect the unusual concentration of it in their poison.  Wherever the sensors detect this concentrated nitrogen, there you will find a conspirator."

"Will that work?"  Noh'ves asked, setting down his latest claw.  He had been about to propose a general round-up of all Nausicaans, but this more targeted approach seemed superior.

As Tess listened to Paul's clarification, her face turned pensive. "If you only have met them once briefly on the way here, I can't imagine they would know enough about you to tailor a way to kill you, Ensign." Tess found the notion rather far-fetched and she wondered what made Wessex think that. This whole affair concerned her. And she had the feeling she missed some details Paul Wessex might not have shared yet.

M'Kai's suggestion was reasonable and Tess found herself agreeing with the Klingon. When Noh'ves asked - it wasn't clear if he was addressing someone specific - if it would work, Tess decided to reply. "I have not had time to read the report yet", she glanced to Paul, "but I assume it had been liquid nitrogen in the pill. The astounding thing to me is that they must have been able to put nitrogen inside a pill. Under normal pressure, nitrogen boils at -196° Celsius. As you can imagine it would be even more difficult to get solid nitrogen. And a gas would be ineffective in a pill. They must have found a way to coat the inside of the actual capsule with something to control and maintain the extreme temperature inside the pill or it would explode with the contents evaporating because of the massive difference in temperature - which is what I assume happened as soon as the pill was inside in the Nausicaan's stomach and the capsule dissolved."

Tess' gaze lingered at Paul. She didn't know what had happened during the meeting of him and Ensign Darrow, but she wouldn't put it past Darrow to be in one of his moods and just keep that bit of information to himself until he could use it when needed. "But to get back to your question, Captain", Tess looked back to Noh'ves, "I don't see a problem to configurate the sensors at customs to liquid nitrogen. And do a sensor sweep over the whole station."

That his sister thought he was on leisure time was amusing.  Telmuk was rather certain he hadn't had a moment of leisure since his recruitment into the Tal'Shiar following Hobus.  His offer of recruitment hadn't been so much an offer than a demand, with consequences should he decline.  Besides which Vandar could be quite convincing. Telmuk had the scars to prove that.

Dividing his attention between his sister's call and the target, Telmuk kept his eyes alternating between the two until Kemala spoke of a human woman inquiring about their father.   Afterwards, his attention focused more on his sister, and he raised the comm device to more face level stepping further to a more secluded space.  "Who? Whatever for?" he murmured more to himself - trying to puzzle why a human woman would be interested in the fate of their father.

Kemala seemed to heard his questions as she went on say more about this woman.  Notably that she claimed to be married to a "relocated" Romulan.  His expression twitched into a sneer at the brazen gall of this woman to think that because she married a traitor that gave her any standing among the Rihannsu.  The news about Faicol lhui was interesting.  It was a place political dissidents had been often sent prior to the riots.  Vandar had more than once hinted at Telmuk being sent to a place like it for a 'fate worse than death' if Telmuk didn't live up to Vandar's expectations. It was quite likely that his disappearance 12 years ago could have been him being quietly incarcerated there and not the criminal activity it was believed to be. 

Kemala seemed to be reveling in breaking this news to him.  He noted her watching him closely.  Why?  Was something she was expecting him to deduce?  Something he was apparently overlooking.  When his sister went on to say that the source was trustworthy, he was about to scoff until she dropped the name t'Movel.  Sub-Commander t'Movel was a bit of a local hero to him while growing up. That she would vouch for this human woman was quite unbelievable. 

When questioned as to who he thought the Romulan could be...  even then Telmuk's mind was finding alternatives. Skirting what he subconsciouly didn't want known.  "t'Movel had a son... Lared wasn't it?  But why would Lared's wife be asking about father."

Then the pieces came together.  Father and Rayek missing ... Father believed to be at Faicol lhui 12 years ago when he disappeared.  This human woman's interest in Father.  His older brother's fascination with all things human...  Telmuk's thoughts froze. 

He locked eyes with Kemala.  "You think this woman's husband is our brother" he stated incredulous. Then shook his head with a frown.

Telmuk wished he hadn't accepted the call.  Wished he hadn't put the pieces of Kemala's puzzle together.  Nothing good was going to come of this. 

"That's wishful thinking, sister.  I think if Father had been at faicol lhui secretly, rather than being arrested publicly then those who did so would not want it known... to save face for the family.  Investigating may stir up more trouble than is wise.  I suggest you drop it."

He should really take his own advice, but Telmuk was already thinking of how he might be able to discern the truth and where he could seek to get confirmation of the actually prison records.

Kemala watched her brother as he tried to piece together what she was hinting at. When he started to talk about t'Movel's son, Kemala rolled her eyes with a grin before she downed the rest of the second drink and put the tumbler down on the desk with a soft clunk.

"You either are avoiding the obvious on purpose, little brother, or you don't have your best day for drawing conclusions", she teased him, her excitement unmitigated. She wasn't sure if it was her comment or something else that had Telmuk finally figure out what she was trying to say. His incredulous words were refused by her with a scoff as she flopped back in her chair, grinning defiantly at her brother on the screen. "I do", she confirmed.

She couldn't deny that her brother had a point in saying that if the incarceration had been kept a secret that those responsible might not appreciate someone nosing around. But to her the other thing - that their oldest brother might be actually alive - weighed more. "And ignore the possibility of Rayek being alive? Don't you want to know, Telmuk? We could get him back home."

Her computer alerted her with an incoming message. Her eyes flickered to the side on the same screen her brother was on and saw that it was from Taheen. Eagerly, Kemala leaned forward to open the message - finding both messages of that Tess human there. Along with the initial message from Karinne t'Movel. Kemala would watch all of this, but right now she was too curious about that Tess. She opened the first message of her with the help of the security code provided and freezed the frame just as it had started to take a look at her. The woman sat on a sofa looking at the camera, one hand at the side of her head as if she had just pushed a strand of hair out of her face. Casual clothes. Even in the background was nothing Kemala could draw conclusions from. She picked up on one thing though - the Romulan wedding bracelet around the wrist that was at her head.

Kemala took a screenshot and sent it to Telmuk before looking back at him on the screen. Knowing he must see the incoming message from him, Kemala said, "Just in case you are more curious than you let on." Oh, she was smug now. "Her name is Tess. It's not clear yet if this is the first or last name. Location information are cropped from the message unfortunately."

For a moment she regarded her younger brother silently before she spoke again. "I can't just drop this, Telmuk. If there is a chance that we can get back another member of our decimated family, I won't just sit here and do nothing. And if it's not Rayek, I still want to know why this woman is inquiring specifically about our father. How had she heard of his name in the first place?" She shook her head. "I'm in contact with Taheen t'Raghaellh." She wondered if her brother even remembered that name. How much had he picked up about the whole affair back then? It was possible he was unaware of any connection. "She will keep me informed."

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2020, 11:26:17 pm »

Kemala watched her brother as he tried to piece together what she was hinting at. When he started to talk about t'Movel's son, Kemala rolled her eyes with a grin before she downed the rest of the second drink and put the tumbler down on the desk with a soft clunk.

"You either are avoiding the obvious on purpose, little brother, or you don't have your best day for drawing conclusions", she teased him, her excitement unmitigated. She wasn't sure if it was her comment or something else that had Telmuk finally figure out what she was trying to say. His incredulous words were refused by her with a scoff as she flopped back in her chair, grinning defiantly at her brother on the screen. "I do", she confirmed.

She couldn't deny that her brother had a point in saying that if the incarceration had been kept a secret that those responsible might not appreciate someone nosing around. But to her the other thing - that their oldest brother might be actually alive - weighed more. "And ignore the possibility of Rayek being alive? Don't you want to know, Telmuk? We could get him back home."

Her computer alerted her with an incoming message. Her eyes flickered to the side on the same screen her brother was on and saw that it was from Taheen. Eagerly, Kemala leaned forward to open the message - finding both messages of that Tess human there. Along with the initial message from Karinne t'Movel. Kemala would watch all of this, but right now she was too curious about that Tess. She opened the first message of her with the help of the security code provided and freezed the frame just as it had started to take a look at her. The woman sat on a sofa looking at the camera, one hand at the side of her head as if she had just pushed a strand of hair out of her face. Casual clothes. Even in the background was nothing Kemala could draw conclusions from. She picked up on one thing though - the Romulan wedding bracelet around the wrist that was at her head.

Kemala took a screenshot and sent it to Telmuk before looking back at him on the screen. Knowing he must see the incoming message from him, Kemala said, "Just in case you are more curious than you let on." Oh, she was smug now. "Her name is Tess. It's not clear yet if this is the first or last name. Location information are cropped from the message unfortunately."

For a moment she regarded her younger brother silently before she spoke again. "I can't just drop this, Telmuk. If there is a chance that we can get back another member of our decimated family, I won't just sit here and do nothing. And if it's not Rayek, I still want to know why this woman is inquiring specifically about our father. How had she heard of his name in the first place?" She shook her head. "I'm in contact with Taheen t'Raghaellh." She wondered if her brother even remembered that name. How much had he picked up about the whole affair back then? It was possible he was unaware of any connection. "She will keep me informed."

Telmuk knew, his sister was being far too naive - to think that their brother even if alive would ever be welcomed back.  It was more than just that those who fled like cowards after Hobus had no place among the Rihannsu; if Rayek somehow escaped Faicol lhui then his return would be met with death because of his past among the Tal'Shiar.   One did not 'retire' from this type of service - and one certainly wasn't permitted to just leave it.

On top of all that, Telmuk was hindered in what he could divulge to his sister. While Kemala might be aware of Rayek's past service with the Tal'Shiar, he knew his own current service was still kept hidden from her.  She would not understand -  his loyalty to such an organization on the eve of reformation.

If this 'relocated Romulan' was his brother, Telmuk would be obligated to inform his superior.  He didn't see that conversation going well. 

Telmuk watched his sister's attention focus elsewhere on her screen.  She had received some message and evidently thought it was important enough to leave him just waiting.  When she finally looked back to him, it was him who was distracted by an image of a human woman she sent to him.  The woman's name was Tess.  But that seemed to be all that his sister knew.  Yet that didn't seem to deter her any. 

"Kemala, I think you are being conned and it's going to cause nothing but trouble... but continue to pass on anything you or she finds out." he advised.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noted his informant across the street, moving on.  "I gotta go for now.  Be careful."

He waited until she acknowledge his warning, then closed the comm.  He then continued his tailing of the informant.  As he did so he sent a message to his superior requesting an in person meet either later that night or for in morning.  Telmuk had some questions to ask.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:29:19 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2020, 09:27:19 am »

As Tess listened to Paul's clarification, her face turned pensive. "If you only have met them once briefly on the way here, I can't imagine they would know enough about you to tailor a way to kill you, Ensign." Tess found the notion rather far-fetched and she wondered what made Wessex think that. This whole affair concerned her. And she had the feeling she missed some details Paul Wessex might not have shared yet.

Wessex opened his mouth to agree with Commander t'Lhoell's assessment that he hadn't been specifically targetted, momentary confused as he thought he had made clear the very same; in parallel; it wouldn't do to not be accurate and precise in front of his new posting's second in command. It was, to him, just a disturbing co-incidence.

But before he could do so, t'Lhoell continued.

M'Kai's suggestion was reasonable and Tess found herself agreeing with the Klingon. When Noh'ves asked - it wasn't clear if he was addressing someone specific - if it would work, Tess decided to reply. "I have not had time to read the report yet", she glanced to Paul, "but I assume it had been liquid nitrogen in the pill. The astounding thing to me is that they must have been able to put nitrogen inside a pill. Under normal pressure, nitrogen boils at -196° Celsius. As you can imagine it would be even more difficult to get solid nitrogen. And a gas would be ineffective in a pill. They must have found a way to coat the inside of the actual capsule with something to control and maintain the extreme temperature inside the pill or it would explode with the contents evaporating because of the massive difference in temperature - which is what I assume happened as soon as the pill was inside in the Nausicaan's stomach and the capsule dissolved."

Feeling skewed - like a niasha fish at the end of the spear-horn of a R'lasha whale - at t'Lhoell's comment that she hadn't read the autopsy report yet. That was, sadly, not entirely unsurprising, considering Darrow's almost complete disinterest in the case, preferring to catalogue personal observations.

Should he have ensured Darrow submitted the report? Momentarily, Wessex felt a little at sea with his authority. But...Lt Commander tr'Lhoell had said he had full authority of the investigation. Perhaps he should flex it.

Tess' gaze lingered at Paul. She didn't know what had happened during the meeting of him and Ensign Darrow, but she wouldn't put it past Darrow to be in one of his moods and just keep that bit of information to himself until he could use it when needed. "But to get back to your question, Captain", Tess looked back to Noh'ves, "I don't see a problem to configurate the sensors at customs to liquid nitrogen. And do a sensor sweep over the whole station."

Wessex looked at the Commander, to Noh'ves, and back. It seemed clear what the next steps would be. He just hoped that his actions to date had not given them any sign that he wasn't capab....

Sign. Sigil. Mark. Symbol.

Like a box unpacking in his head, Paul suddenly became aware of a piece of information that had, until now, gone forgotten in light of everything else. Near the hatch that the young thief had been a small, odd symbol, etched into the bulkhead, visible only at a specific angle. The attack by the Nausicaan had buried this uninvestigated oddity into his subconscious, but like a breaching janyan, it burst to the surface.

He fidgeted, keen to get going, but hopefully not obviously.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2020, 11:05:28 pm »

Katra - Station Commander's Ready Room

"Station Commander's Personal Log.  Captain Noh'ves, commanding.

So begins my second day in command of this Starfleet Outpost. 

Dinner did not go as well as I intended.  And... I must admit that much of the fault lies with me.  My daughter has reminded me- in her own way- that if I keep fighting the 'Starfleet Way' of doing things, I will bring nothing but misery to myself and those around me.

And yet... I can scarcely imagine how it is possible to operate when one is constrained by so many niceties and regulations.  It is this kind of careful maneuvering that makes politics so dangerous and distasteful.  Yet Starfleet operations exceed the difficulties and vagaries of navigating the High Council on Qo'nos.

If I have any consolation, it is that our Starfleet allies on station seem to be intelligent, competent people... even when they are infuriating.  M'Kai has been my Security Chief for years, and she is intelligent and efficient... but when I look at Ensign Wessex's investigation, I can't help but wonder if she'd have gotten as far as he has.  Our Klingon ways are not ways of restraint.  M'Kai might have shot a thief, or thrown them into prison, without ever perceiving a greater conspiracy. 

Meanwhile, the human Ensign has used restraint and thoughtfulness, thereby opening his gaze to a wider criminal network whose reach and purpose I can currently only imagine.

Similarly, as I reflect on the current medical crisis with the Meridians, I realize that while my solutions may have been expedient, the officers here were possibly right to oppose them.  Not merely out of concern for Starfleet regulations and general politeness, mind you.  No... there are greater diplomatic relationships to maintain.  Relationships I might have damaged in my haste to settle a matter by fiat.

This is all frustrating... but also enlightening.  These are the labrynthine corridors Ambassador Kol walks. 

Corridors that I must now learn to walk, as well.

It is time for me to learn from the people here, rather than wrestle with them.

That shall be my goal in the days ahead.

End Log."

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2020, 01:43:15 pm »
[Katra Station - Promenade - Morning of day 5]

Tess felt a little nervous. It was not everyday that she spoke in front of so many people. And about a topic that was rather controversal. On top of that was the pressure to find the cause and a cure for the Meridian affliction. And the mystery about the Nausicaan, both the dead one and the other.

As looked over the promande, Tess saw many curious faces as they waited for the event to start. She had asked Noh'ves if he as commanding officer of the station wanted to attend her announcement and she also had asked the Meridian president Tarin and the reporter Kit to attend. Since the conversation at yesterday's dinner had died soon after her sharing her thoughts on the mystery nitrogen pill, Tess soon had excused herself to retreat into her quarters to work on her little speech, which meant she had to postpone her sleep-over-night with Beja to another night. Her father had been there to help her, brought her tea and little snacks for her brain to work properly even at that late hour. Rayek surely wouldn't have liked it. Rayek ... Tess sighed inwardly. How much she wished her was here. She missed him incredibly.

Focusing back on the task imminent at hand, she let her gaze wander about the growing crowd once more. She spotted the familiar face of Stavros Papadopulos and his mother next to him. Tess' gaze wandered further to see if she would see Ensign Paul Wessex somewhere near. She had asked him to be present as well if his duties regarding the investigation on the case with the Nausicaan allowed it.

She took another deep breath as she glanced at the chronometer. Only a couple of minutes until she would speak to the people.

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2020, 06:06:37 am »
<Katra Station - Promenade - Morning of day 5>

Standing at the fringes of the assembled crowd, Paul's eyes scanned the horizon in readiness for Commander t'Lhoell's announcement. Not that he was expecting trouble, but he certainly had prepared for it. The scan of the symbol near the now-repaired escape hatch had revealed nothing - the iconography was similar - but not identical - to a myriad of signs across the Quadrant and beyond. It had been a long evening, and Paul had forced himself to turn in for the night in order to be refreshed. The rest could only be helpful to digging deeper.

But right now his place was here, on the Promenade, ahead of the Commander's message. He had spoken to Solen, and despite her experience and reputation, made clear his feelings on overtly armed Security staff among the civilian populace. And, surprisingly, she had agreed, even suggesting she begin focused training for defensive tactics, to enable Security to restrain and detain criminal elements without having to resort to an easy, thoughtless stun setting as their first port of call. So now, although the officers carried a small Type-I phaser concealed under their tunic, for all intents and purposes the Civilian Zone Constabulary looked to be a visible, authoritative - but without trappings of military power - comfortable presence to protect the interests of the station's residents.

Going forward, Wessex had asked Solen to investigate, source and trial other means of subduing violent elements, such as short batons with the ability to induce a mild shock to tame the most...stubborn... of aggressors. Obviously, if armed incidents warranted a response in kind, Paul knew Solen had the conventionally armed response teams on standby.

Granted, it wasn't his job, and he'd report to Commander t'Lhoell, Lieutenant M'Kai, and obviously Lt Commander tr'Lhoell on his return, before implementing anything, but Paul hoped just these small inroads enabled the peoples of this station felt like Katra was a home, and not a military base that were almost an inconvenience to Starfleet's own personnel.

His ruminations stopped as he saw a small head weave in and out of the crowd, stopping periodically before moving on. Wessex pulled a small smile. There was always one light-fingered scally in public gatherings. He turned to Crewman Lina Parcetti, some 20 meters away, and nodded at her, then the small girl who had continued to mingle among the pockets of those present. Expertly so, it had to be said.

Parcetti glanced to where Paul has indicated, and nodded back to him in acknowledgement, before plotting a casual intercept course. The young girl may not be part of the ongoing activities elsewhere - extra-legal opportunists were as old as coral on ocean floors, after all - but even the most petty of thieves had to realise they could not operate with impunity.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2020, 01:29:11 pm »

Katra Station - Promenade

Kol bumped into a figure as he gathered with others in the crowd to hear what would be said.  Turning, he found himself face-to-face with another of the diplomatic envoys assigned to this station.

"Careful," Ambassador Boz cautioned, and then nodded to various security figures standing nearby, "You will alarm the diplomatic security teams."

Kol followed the Dord Ambassador's gaze, and sighed, "Yes.  it seems no matter what I say, they insist on shadowing my movements around the station.  It is irritating."

"Surely, you do not think they are here to safeguard you, Ambassador Kol?"  The Dord smiled slightly.  "Consider it a gesture of respect, if they deem you dangerous enough to be worthy of being watched."

Kol grunted, then turned his attention back to where Tess was preparing to give a speech.  "What do you think of this Meridian disease?  Do you think it has crossed species?"

Boz shook hir head, "My people have been most thorough in analyzing the viruses and bacteria present on station.  There is no contagion."

Kol regarded Boz, "I suppose even if there were, you would be safe inside of that suit."

Boz nodded, "One of the many wisdoms of my people.  Speaking of suits... where is the Tholian ambassador?"

Kol cast his gaze about, as though he was looking.  "I do not know.  I see the Numati over there, but no Tholians."

Boz visibly bristled at mention of the Numati, and Kol turned his face so that his smile would not be evident.

"The Numati.  For all we know, they are the ones behind these seizures.  Who can tell what they may unleash with their promiscuous and invasive mental powers?"  Boz nearly spat as xe spoke of them.

Kol grunted again, having hidden his smile, and listened for the beginning of the announcement.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2020, 03:17:52 am »

Following his conversation with his sister, Telmuk found it difficult to not become distracted thinking about his sister's theory.   It got so distracting that the agent at one point lost sight of his informant and had to use the bio-tracker he'd placed on the man earlier to locate him once more.  Having reacquired the Republic officer, Telmuk decided to expedite his making contact.  It was a bit of a risk but Telmuk didn't have the focus to maintain his observation any longer.   

The meet up was brief. The information was obtained and the man paid.  Later, if the intel proved false, the man would be found dead due to a custom-tailored contact poison that had been applied to the payment.  But if the information was good, then Telmuk would make arrangements to have the antidote discreetly added to the man's meal before the poison could take affect. 

With the meet done, Telmuk returned to his rented apartment and found himself staring at the image of the human woman.   

Dark-haired, blue-eyed with an expressive face.  She likely would be an easy person to read just by facial expression.  The background appeared to be a non-descript interior - lit completely by artificially lighting.  The image gave very little away as to it's location and Telmuk pondered momentarily if that had been intentional.  Undeterred by the lack of locale detail, Telmuk uploaded the image to his computer and opened a high resolution image editing program.   Through this program he was able to study the image in finer detail.

He was pleased to note that the image itself hadn't been altered in any way - that would make finding slip-ups easier.  Since the background gave him very little information, he decided he needed to attempt to get an idea of what was behind the camera.  To do that he checked for reflections... on the surface of her eye... on the metal bracelet at her wrist.

What he found was disturbing. 

Reflected in her eye, was the image of a room interior that had the style of not only the Federation - which was honestly to be expected she was human after all - but also the design layout of a Starfleet officer's quarters.  And if that were not enough, what at first he'd thought was simply a generic piece of wall art... turned out to be way more when he enlarged the speck in the reflection.

He recognized the central image as being that of his sister, Kemala - with a likeness of himself set just off to the right.  With even fainter representations of their father and mother more in the background.  That a human woman would have such an image displayed made no sense... except that it was a depiction of her husband's relatives.  The only member of the family not represented was Rayek.

Telmuk's anger flared.  Somehow Rayek WAS alive, yet rather than return to his family to help them through their loss after Hobus, he was off somewhere in the Federation as a refugee married to some Starfleet officer?  It was so ludicrous! But the evidence was staring him in the face.   Kemala had been right... yet he doubted that her dream of bringing Rayek back home would ever see fruition.  Their brother had every opportunity to return home - yet instead had chosen to sleep with the enemy - quite literally.

He wondered if there was anyway he could hide this truth from Kemala. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:26:05 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles