S2 - M9A - Katra - Snake in the Garden

Started by Solluk, August 14, 2020, 08:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beja

Katra Station - Officers Mess - Evening of Day 4

Beja reached and gently squeezed Tess' hand, "œIf you like, why don't I come and spend the night! We can have a girl's sleepover that humans talk about all the time. We will wear fuzzy slippers on our feet, eat ice cream, while we braid each other's hair and watch romantic comedies.

Beja had never had gone to a sleepover herself, but she had several others she had heard talk about such activities when she was in the academy. She hadn't been invited to any such events herself. She had always been more of an outsider looking in, it really wasn't until Beja had come to Katra that she had finally realized the acceptance and friendship that she'd always seen others partake in.

The dinner got a bit side tracked and more subdued in tone when Beja's father mentioned the Meridians and the strange illness that was plaguing them. "œThe Meridians have been nothing but hospitable and kind to us all. They have welcomed everyone and been the most gracious of hosts. Surely, instead of trying to hide the issue away, we should be putting resources into assisting them in finding the cause of the health issues and a cure for it."

It would only strengthen the diplomatic relationships between the Meridians, the Federation and even the Klingons. Something Beja was sure all three nations would benefit from.

Paul Wessex

His mind pushing away all the questions he had of the last few hours and days, Paul Wessex entered the Officer's Mess with some small trepidation. This was quite the review, and he wasn't sure he was in a position to mingle with the new command staff that had exchange duties with the normal senior team - a senior team, he reminded himself, he had barely come to know. In fact, his direct Department Head was off-station, replaced with a temporary Klingon caretaker, scant days after being introduced.

Choppy waters, indeed.

Looking around, he allowed himself to enjoy the atmosphere regardless and his easy smile - if not running all ahead full - radiated through the mask of Officer comportment. Nodding at some glanced his way, Wessex approached the buffet table and studied the offerings. Being someone raised and living on, and below, oceans for virtually all his life, it gave him a somewhat obvious leaning towards the more aquatic fare; several items looked as if they could have existed within the Klingon seas. He took a medium sample of a particular, thick tentacle for a start, before conceding with himself that he was here to experience the depth and breadth of a service among the stars.

Just a very small portion of what looked like meaty pasta it was then.

The morsel dropped on his plate with perhaps more force than he was expected, as his natural reaction to the food moving caused his fine motor function to temporary forget their job.

His smile widened with baffled expectation.

Tess tLhoell

Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell (7 months pregnant)
[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Executive officer's quarters - sometime during the officer exchange]

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on August 20, 2020, 02:34:56 AM

NPC Arrain (Centurion) Taheen t'Raghaellh of the New Romulus Republic
[ChR S'ten (Meret-class warbird) - Chaltok system - orbiting Chaltok IV](1/2 a day later)

Taheen had received a surprising video message a some time back from a former Sub-Commander, making the introduction of a woman that she said would contact Taheen shortly.  Weeks later, when no message arrived Taheen assumed that the woman had changed her mind.   Taheen had put the request from her thoughts and continued on with her day to day routines.

Now as she checked her messages at the end of the day.. there was one with a hidden address and which was encrypted.  The usual Romulan decryption code didn't work on opening it when she remembered suddenly the message from Sub-Commander t'Movel.  Taheen ran the encryption key that she had downloaded from the original message that first day.  Sure enough, the key unlocked the message.  When Taheen had the recording play, she was surprised to see a human female.  She realized belatedly that she shouldn't have been surprised with the very human name like Tess.

She watched the video.  Noting with amusement that the woman hadn't fully introduced herself at all in the message.  Was that accidental due to nervousness speaking to the unfamiliar Romulan, or intentional so that she couldn't be tracked back?

The message gained her full attention when the human woman spoke of Faicol lhui.  Oh! That was interesting.  Taheen recalled the ship she served on back then in the after math of Hobus.  The ship and crew had been assigned to deal with the rioting prisoners on Faicol lhui.

As the woman closed with a respectful nod and well-pronounced 'thank you and goodbye', Taheen considered the request.   She had checked into who t'Movel was (not an easy thing since repository of most records had been on Romulus, but in the intervening years a compilation of several ship databases had begun to piece the main database back together. and Taheen had been pleased see an exemplary service record.  The last report of her had been that she had survived the destruction of her clan home because she had been visiting the outskirts of the Neutral Zone.  Then last year she and the last of the s'Movel family - crossed the Neutral Zone to claim refugee status with the Feds.

Relocated Romulan - ha!  A polite way of saying deserter!  Despite understanding why so many families abandoned the Empire after Hobus, the loss of so many had made an already terrible time - worse.  Taheen was tempted to just delete the video and forget she ever saw it, but t'Movel had claimed it was a matter of mnhei'sahe, and that alone deserved at least making an attempt and hearing the woman out.

Taheen activated her computers video camera and recorded a message back.

"Jolan tru, Tess.  I am Arrain t'Raghaellh.  Centurion t'Raghaellh, to you I would believe. Taheen was speaking in slightly accented Federation Standard.   All senior Romulan officers had to know both Fed Standard and Klingon.

"I hope I have  addressed you correctly. Tess is the name Sub-Commander t'Movel provided in an earlier message." she remarked before addressing the main point of the message "In regards to your request, it may be difficult to track down but if you provide me with name of the individual you are seeking information for, I will do my best to do so.  Though I will forewarn that the result may not be pleasant."

What the human woman likely did not know was that the penal colony was closed within 6 months of Hobus due to repeated rioting.  Some useful and reformed individuals were released to assist in the rebuilding of the Empire, but most were deemed too disruptive and or politically volatile to allow free and so were dealt with accordingly - in a permanent fashion.  In all likelihood the individual the woman was looking for was dead.

Taheen closed her message with a nod of her head "Jolan tru".

She then encrypted the message with the code provided by t'Movel and send off her reply before continuing on to start her day.

Tess honstly was surprised when she received a timely response back from Taheen. She would have thought the Romulan Centurion would take her time with it. But the sooner she would get the information she sought the better. She already had been afraid the video messages would drag on into the time when Rayek was back. It still could happen. But now it gave Tess hope that it could be done before he returned.

Tess ended her shift that day in her office. It really was a stressful time, the Klingon exchange officers didn't make it exactly easy for her. But today she had a little bit of time until she would meet with her father to go out for dinner. She noticed that he had an eye on her eating - no doubt Rayek had put emphasis on it.

Encouraged by the seemingly willing Romulan to help her out, Tess set up her computer for the video record and only in second thought got the idea that locking the door would be wise. After she had called out to the computer to do so, Tess took one calming breath, taking much less time to prepare for her reply than she had for her initial message to Taheen. "Computer. Start video recording."

Bleep.

"Jolan-tru, Centurion", Tess started her message off. This time she felt by far not as nervous as before. "I want to thank you for your timely response and your willingness to help me with my request." Tess made a brief pause to get Taheen's attention when she was watching this.

"The person I am inquiring about is Talen of the house Lhoell. He was imprisoned in faicol-lhui about 15 years ago, maybe less. I have no exact dates, unfortunately. I am interested in any information you may have about the man's fate. If he is dead I want to know how he died, where and when. I am aware that this is the most likely scenario. However, if he happens to be still alive, I would like to know his current location. If you are not the person to provide me with these information, I hope you know who you can put me in contact with about it?"

Tess paused a moment before she started to wrap up her message. "Before I conclude this there is one more thing I want to ask of you. The person who put me into contact with you did it out of a matter of mnhei'sahe." She made sure to use the proper Romulan word. Rayek once had explained to her that the UT's translation for the word as 'honor' was insufficient. "Regarding your own mnhei'sahe I need to ask you to not take actions against the family of the house I am inquiring about nor let others do that if it is in your power to prevent it." Inclining her head respectfully, Tess bid the woman goodbye. "Jolan-tru, Arrain. I will be looking forward to your response."

"Computer. End recording."

Bleep.

Tess encrypted the message with the code Karinne had given her and send the message off. She then sat back in her chair for a moment longer, pensive. She did not expect as quick a response as this time. But she hoped it would be timely enough.

NPC Ensign Javed Kumar (Medical)
[Katra Station - Promenate - evening of day 4]
Quote from: Sula Niri on August 19, 2020, 10:19:10 PM

[Katra Station - Promenade - Evening of Day 4]

Namaste Niri said with a beaming smile in return, miming Javed's pressed palms. She had learned a bit about the old religious beliefs of humans, though there were many, but the Indians in particular held a handful of interesting similarities with Bajorans. She would be sure to talk his ear off about theology and culture later, though it would be an admittedly awful topic during their introduction.

Her wide smile held during the fellow ensign's offer of a tour, brightening when he suggested they move directly for the sickbay.

"We've just met, and yet you already knew what I was thinking" she joked, "I'd love to get a look at the station's sickbay, the rest of the pleasantries could wait."

The new ensign glowed with enthusiasm, it was probably no secret that the newest medical officer would have a morbid fascination with the situation Katra was facing.

Javed was pleasantly surprised by the woman's beaming smile and it only made his own widen too. He laughed good-humoredly at her comment about him guessing exactly what she wanted. "Then I shall not have you wait any longer", he smiled and gestured ahead before he started to walk beside her. "Besides the main medbay we have two small walk-in-clinics on the station", he informed her as he led her past shops and restaurants to the turbolift. "Since this station is brand new compared to others, we get to work with the state-of-the-art medical equipment."

The turbolift doors opened and Javed let Sula step in frist before he followed her. "Deck 22", he called out to the computer, then turned his head back to the Bajoran woman. "So, what is your special field, Miss Sula? We have a couple of bigger tasks going on that could use some help. We are still waiting for a vet for both dealing with animal life on the station and down on Meridian, the planet Katra is orbiting. And we deal with some kind of illness the people of said planet seem to have contracted. We are still researching on the cause of it to cure it."

The turbolift stopped and Javed led her into the reception area of the sickbay - a circular hall with the reception's desk at the opposing wall and seats around at the rounded walls for the waiting patients to sit on.

+ NPC Lt. Fabiano Moreno (Acting SOO)

[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Officer's Mess - evening of day 4]

Quote from: Solluk on August 20, 2020, 12:07:22 AM

Katra Station - Officer's Mess - the Evening of the Lod Qan's departure

Tolec grinned as Beja offered him a new variety of legume.  "I have yet to meet a bean I did not like.  Why, I even like the human bean!"  He laughed at his own joke.

"As long as you do not eat them," H'Rel interjected in jest as he entered the room and settled into a chair.

"There is a human saying," M'Kai said after she finished the last of her Turkey leg, "Do not knock it, until you have tried it."

"What does that mean," Vilka asked, confused, "What is being knocked? And... what is being tried?  Human aphorisms are so strange."

Noh'ves set down his barren pipius claw, clearing his throat.  "I am glad you brought up the Meridian problem, Commander," he said, returning the topic to a more useful track, "I had a question about it.  I understand there is no actual contagion.  But if the population thinks there is, and unrest is a concern, would it not make sense to deport the Meridians from the station, and quarantine them on the planet below?"

Tolec spoke up, "I believe this station is only able to operate here at the sufferance of the Meridians, HoD."

Noh'ves glared at Tolec.  "Captain.  Use their words while we are in their service."

Tolec, nodded, "Yes, Ho-eh-ah... Captain."

Noh'ves shook his head, and then returned his attention to Tess.  "Is that true?  Do the Meridians have the power to remove us?  And if so, do you think they would do so over this matter?"

Quote from: Beja on August 20, 2020, 03:11:26 AM

Beja reached and gently squeezed Tess' hand, "œIf you like, why don't I come and spend the night! We can have a girl's sleepover that humans talk about all the time. We will wear fuzzy slippers on our feet, eat ice cream, while we braid each other's hair and watch romantic comedies.

Beja had never had gone to a sleepover herself, but she had several others she had heard talk about such activities when she was in the academy. She hadn't been invited to any such events herself. She had always been more of an outsider looking in, it really wasn't until Beja had come to Katra that she had finally realized the acceptance and friendship that she'd always seen others partake in.

The dinner got a bit side tracked and more subdued in tone when Beja's father mentioned the Meridians and the strange illness that was plaguing them. "œThe Meridians have been nothing but hospitable and kind to us all. They have welcomed everyone and been the most gracious of hosts. Surely, instead of trying to hide the issue away, we should be putting resources into assisting them in finding the cause of the health issues and a cure for it."

It would only strengthen the diplomatic relationships between the Meridians, the Federation and even the Klingons. Something Beja was sure all three nations would benefit from.

Tess smiled at Beja when she squeezed her hand comfortingly. It felt good to have a friend who looked after her. At her suggestion of a sleepover, Tess started to grin. "That actually sounds like fun", Tess grinned, then glanced over at her father. "That means a one-day break for you", she chuckled and then added for Beja, "He's staying with me while Rayek is away so there was someone to help me while he was away", Tess explained.

Fabiano glanced back at Tess and Beja. "That is fine, you ladies have a good time", the middle-aged Italian smiled, the laugh lines around his eyes making an appearance.

While Tess then listened to Noh'ves question, she noticed the arrival of Ensign Wessex. Meeting his eyes briefly, she offered him a smile before her attention turned back to the Klingon Captain. Again, he made a rather difficult suggestion for Tess' liking. Additionally to that, there was the matter of the relationship between the Meridians and the Federation raised.

"We have found no evidence at all that the sickness some Meridians are suffering from is contagious." Tess felt inclined to make this clear first. "So far no problems of the population becoming uneasy to a concerning degree has been brought to my attention. However, it is possible with the incident with the reporter today, that might change now. It might. Maybe Ensign Wessex is able to give us an assessment of that matter." Tess had raised her voice a little and looked to the Ensign standing at the buffet table to get his attention. Since they had spoken about this before in sickbay and he was involved in the investigation of this, he might have heard of something.

She paused briefly before she continued. "I agree with Lieutenant Beja to be as transparent as possible about the matter. To deport the Meridians off the station would be unjustifiable and to the disadvantage of the Meridians in all aspects of the matter. Maybe a move to make a public statement is overdue. Right now, I would say it is absolutely necessary."

At Noh'ves last question, Tess nodded. "The Meridians have accepted protectorate status. They have the option to formally petition the Federation to withdraw if they so wish. After a process of 6 to 12 months, we would have to comply and leave. But as Beja already mentioned, the Meridians have been friendly and cooperative with us in all matters so far. They even accepted to take the refugees of Atros to give them a new home on Meridian. I won't deny that they are protective of their planet to a certain degree, but if we deal with them with the respect and acceptance we have shown each other in all those months since we are here, I don't see reason to worry that they tell us to leave."

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Solluk

Noh'ves grimaced as his daughter, and then Tess, confirmed what Tolec had already suggested.  The simplest solution- once again- was denied to him.  In the Empire, he could have implemented an effective solution by fiat in any domain which was under his control, without concern for niceties.  The Meridians would not have been allowed so much freedom that they could casually dismiss a Klingon presence.

But then... this, too, was an aspect of the Old Way giving way to the New.

Tess suggested making an announcement, and Noh'ves nodded his head.

"Very well, Commander.  If we cannot isolate the Meridians, we must protect them another way.  You will make an announcement.  With your authority as Chief Medical Officer, as well as Executive Officer, the population will take what you say seriously."

He looked to M'Kai, "Perhaps that will be enough to prevent disorder.  If not, identify troublemakers.  Get Ensign Wessex here to help you.  I understand he has been conducting investigations within the Promenade regarding some sort of criminal conspiracy.  He will be familiar with the individuals who are most influential and most irksome.

Arrest anyone making trouble or spreading rumors about the Meridians or this illness.  Make the arrests in public, during busy hours if possible.  Delay processing of prisoners for as long as is permitted under Federation law, so that they spend the maximum possible time inconvenienced and in a cell.  That should silence those who would make sport of this problem to foment unrest."

He returned his attention to Tess, "And then solve this.  I often hear of vaunted Federation medicine.  Make the cure to this ailment your top priority.  Put all medical personnel on it, if necessary.  If you need more resources, tell me.  I will put a request in for medical reinforcements."

There.  Noh'ves took up a new pipius claw, satisfied with his solution to the issue.

"I would be pleased to assist the medical teams," Tolec interjected, glancing to Tess, "If the Commander feels I could be of use."

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

esanc

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on August 20, 2020, 10:19:09 AM

[Katra Station - Promenate - evening of day 4]

Javed was pleasantly surprised by the woman's beaming smile and it only made his own widen too. He laughed good-humoredly at her comment about him guessing exactly what she wanted. "Then I shall not have you wait any longer", he smiled and gestured ahead before he started to walk beside her. "Besides the main medbay we have two small walk-in-clinics on the station", he informed her as he led her past shops and restaurants to the turbolift. "Since this station is brand new compared to others, we get to work with the state-of-the-art medical equipment."

The turbolift doors opened and Javed let Sula step in frist before he followed her. "Deck 22", he called out to the computer, then turned his head back to the Bajoran woman. "So, what is your special field, Miss Sula? We have a couple of bigger tasks going on that could use some help. We are still waiting for a vet for both dealing with animal life on the station and down on Meridian, the planet Katra is orbiting. And we deal with some kind of illness the people of said planet seem to have contracted. We are still researching on the cause of it to cure it."

The turbolift stopped and Javed led her into the reception area of the sickbay - a circular hall with the reception's desk at the opposing wall and seats around at the rounded walls for the waiting patients to sit on.

[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Evening of Day 4]

"œI think I'd find myself quite comfortable as the resident veterinarian" Niri started as the turbolift neared its way toward the sickbay, "œI studied xenozoobiology for quite some time while oscillating between a potential career in Science or Medical in the Academy. I wouldn't mind helping out any of the stations furry or scaled residents "" that is, the ones that aren't sapient. Though I'm fine with the sapient ones too."

Although the reception of sickbay looked like any other on the surface, Ensign Sula couldn't help but feel a sense of pride once she arrived at her newest work station. She could still remember the first time she saw a Starfleet vessel's medbay as a young child. She kept her comments of wonder and awe to herself to maintain an appearance of composure, though the feeling could be gleaned by how she wistfully looked about the room as they passed reception toward the real sickbay.

"œI've heard of the recent debacle concerning the reporter, the promenade was still pretty stirred when I had arrived, though the news reports reached me a bit quicker than word of mouth did. It's certainly an interesting time to join the Katra's medical personnel, Kumar. In a way, I'd consider us all very lucky."

Beja

Beja smiled even wider if that was possible when Tess agreed to the sleepover suggestion. She wouldn't worry that she really hadn't much time to plan it out, but life was too short. Not everything needed to be planned down to the exact minute. Beja suspected that both Tess and herself could use just some fun, spontaneous girl time that the female humans were always talking about.

Then it's settled. I shall come over tonight with my pajamas. If you would like I can bring Mon, I wonder if he would like to wear matching pajamas with us and I'm sure he would allow us to braid his hair," Beja joked with Tess. Mon was such a gentle giant that he'd not object to such festivities. Who knows, maybe he would actually like it!

She took notice of a new arrival, a human male of ensign rank. Beja had of course been informed of the new crew members that were going to be joining the ranks of Katra. She had wanted to be there to welcome them to the station, but had been pulled away with the exchange program. It could be a little bit overwhelming for new crew members and Beja had always thought having a friendly welcome from the counseling department helped to make their transition smooth.

Beja could feel the tension rise between her father and Tess, the two were obviously on different sides of the Meridian health crisis. Diffusing the current rising tide of tension was the first thing that needed to be done. Beja spoke in a softer tone, and smiled still, "œI will be happy to help Commander t'Lhoell. I have some personal experience with this and have been assembling research on it. Anything that Roberto and I have learned will of course be shared to see what we all can come up with."

Then Beja turned towards her father, knowing this was going to put her diplomatic skills to the test. She couldn't dishonor him and object to his suggestions. But she also needed to uphold the standards and ideals of the Federation that she believed in.  "œKatra is a place where people from everywhere are welcomed. As you know, the newly established diplomatic embassies are finding ways to learn about each other and share different cultural ideals. I'm not sure that  we want Katra to become a more military/police like station. Captain, I will be honored to set up an appointment with the ambassador for Meridian. I am sure that we all can come together to find a solution and compromise that will benefit all.

Paul Wessex

Paul's hearing wasn't up to the levels of other races, or even more skilled individuals in the Naval Patrol, but in that fine Service one did develop keener senses than most; this was especially useful in determining and detecting subtle issues such as hull pressure warning signs, possible microfractures through damage, or even old-fashioned acoustic acquisition of targets when targeting sensors spectacularly failed. So it was not surprising that, while he was standing near the corner of the room taking in the mix of peoples around him - while mentally marking his plate's contents out of 10 - he couldn't help but overhear the conversation Tess was having with the temporary Klingon skipper (Noh'ves, he recalled), and a young Klingon female in Starfleet uniform.

Of course, Noh'ves' voice was hardly discreet so perhaps his sharp aural prowess wasn't strictly tested.

Glancing over with interest at the conversation, but trying not to look like he was eavesdropping, his attention heightened when he heard his name. Apparently, Noh'ves was advocating the possible rounding up of dissenters and malcontents who voiced strong, unseemly opinions regarding the supposed Meridian illness.

Wessex's face darkened, transmitting on all frequencies, the message of 'no bloody way'. Despite being new to StarFleet, his previous career oversaw a great deal of civilian protection duty and he felt very strongly about the use of what amounted to military resources to quell a civilian populace. While he agreed on some level that rampant speculation of Meridian health matters could become problematic, the very notion that he be part of an order that supressed opinion was something he would oppose. Enforcing Federation law against xenophobic and hate crimes was one thing, but to turn the station into a police state and crush scuttlebutt would go against everything the Federation laurel wreath represented.

As he stared to the small group, he was pleased to hear his own feelings expertly reflected by the Klingon in Starfleet uniform.

Tess tLhoell

[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Officer's Mess - Evening of day 4]

Quote from: Beja on August 21, 2020, 04:19:06 AM

Beja smiled even wider if that was possible when Tess agreed to the sleepover suggestion. She wouldn't worry that she really hadn't much time to plan it out, but life was too short. Not everything needed to be planned down to the exact minute. Beja suspected that both Tess and herself could use just some fun, spontaneous girl time that the female humans were always talking about.

Then it's settled. I shall come over tonight with my pajamas. If you would like I can bring Mon, I wonder if he would like to wear matching pajamas with us and I'm sure he would allow us to braid his hair," Beja joked with Tess. Mon was such a gentle giant that he'd not object to such festivities. Who knows, maybe he would actually like it!

Tess chuckled. "Sure, bring Mon. I hope Thrafv won't mind him too much. Poor Mon. We can't treat him like a Barbie doll." She still found it amazing that an impressive and formidable animal like a sehlat could be domesticated and that even Vulcan children have them as pets. Though they probably do nothing of the wild petting and squeezing and playing with the animals like, say, human children would do. Maybe they would be less tolerant to that. Though Mon seemed to be different in that regard too.
Quote from: Solluk on August 20, 2020, 12:20:49 PM

Noh'ves grimaced as his daughter, and then Tess, confirmed what Tolec had already suggested.  The simplest solution- once again- was denied to him.  In the Empire, he could have implemented an effective solution by fiat in any domain which was under his control, without concern for niceties.  The Meridians would not have been allowed so much freedom that they could casually dismiss a Klingon presence.

But then... this, too, was an aspect of the Old Way giving way to the New.

Tess suggested making an announcement, and Noh'ves nodded his head.

"Very well, Commander.  If we cannot isolate the Meridians, we must protect them another way.  You will make an announcement.  With your authority as Chief Medical Officer, as well as Executive Officer, the population will take what you say seriously."

He looked to M'Kai, "Perhaps that will be enough to prevent disorder.  If not, identify troublemakers.  Get Ensign Wessex here to help you.  I understand he has been conducting investigations within the Promenade regarding some sort of criminal conspiracy.  He will be familiar with the individuals who are most influential and most irksome.

Arrest anyone making trouble or spreading rumors about the Meridians or this illness.  Make the arrests in public, during busy hours if possible.  Delay processing of prisoners for as long as is permitted under Federation law, so that they spend the maximum possible time inconvenienced and in a cell.  That should silence those who would make sport of this problem to foment unrest."

He returned his attention to Tess, "And then solve this.  I often hear of vaunted Federation medicine.  Make the cure to this ailment your top priority.  Put all medical personnel on it, if necessary.  If you need more resources, tell me.  I will put a request in for medical reinforcements."

There.  Noh'ves took up a new pipius claw, satisfied with his solution to the issue.

"I would be pleased to assist the medical teams," Tolec interjected, glancing to Tess, "If the Commander feels I could be of use."

Quote from: Beja on August 21, 2020, 04:19:06 AM

She took notice of a new arrival, a human male of ensign rank. Beja had of course been informed of the new crew members that were going to be joining the ranks of Katra. She had wanted to be there to welcome them to the station, but had been pulled away with the exchange program. It could be a little bit overwhelming for new crew members and Beja had always thought having a friendly welcome from the counseling department helped to make their transition smooth.

Beja could feel the tension rise between her father and Tess, the two were obviously on different sides of the Meridian health crisis. Diffusing the current rising tide of tension was the first thing that needed to be done. Beja spoke in a softer tone, and smiled still, "œI will be happy to help Commander t'Lhoell. I have some personal experience with this and have been assembling research on it. Anything that Roberto and I have learned will of course be shared to see what we all can come up with."

Then Beja turned towards her father, knowing this was going to put her diplomatic skills to the test. She couldn't dishonor him and object to his suggestions. But she also needed to uphold the standards and ideals of the Federation that she believed in.  "œKatra is a place where people from everywhere are welcomed. As you know, the newly established diplomatic embassies are finding ways to learn about each other and share different cultural ideals. I'm not sure that  we want Katra to become a more military/police like station. Captain, I will be honored to set up an appointment with the ambassador for Meridian. I am sure that we all can come together to find a solution and compromise that will benefit all.

Tess had a hard time hiding the frown on her face. Every time she tried to gently steer him in a more acceptable direction, the Klingon came up with a worse or just as bad of an idea as before. The determined way he stated his order about the procedure to deal with anyone who might voice his opinions negatively about the Meridians seemed questionable, especially to emphasize the intimidating part of it. Make people be scared to say what they think by demonstrating purposely publicly how those people are dealt with. It did not feel right. But honestly, Tess' heart sank a little at that point and she had not the courage to talk back against an order the Captain had given - not here in front of everyone, that is. She was aware that he had a face to keep in front of his men as well.

While Tess still brooded over how she could reply to this, Beja came to her rescue, telling her father the difficult part. Good, maybe they could take turns with this. To help make it more acceptable for Noh'ves and he wouldn't feel like they were dismissing his orders completely Tess spoke up right after Beja had finished.

"I hope that with an announcement tomorrow morning, no disorder will arise. I agree that we should deal with problems according to Federation standards if there should be disruptions after that." Which surely did not include justification for arresting someone who spread rumors. God knows there have been and there will be a lot of them on Katra.

At the topic of the medical problem, Tess nodded. She was of course familiar with the work Roberto and Beja had been doing on the topic, including Tess herself. But now it was time to make their team as large as possible. She nodded to Tolec. "Any help is welcome." Then glanced back to Noh'ves. "I will assemble a team first thing in the morning."

She looked to Beja. "Your function as our Chief Diplomatic Officer will be much needed here. There has to happen a lot of communication now. Please arrange a meeting as quick as possible with President Tarin. I have a medical request. To move the research about the illness forward as quick as possible I need him, better yet a second person, for collecting medical data of them over a constant and ongoing period of time. Maybe we can get Djol to help out as well. Djol had one of the Meridians who had suffered from these seizures as well. I have thought of issuing them with a neurocortical monitor, so we can monitor their encephalographic profile constantly. I will give you details on that if Tarin should have questions. And maybe forwarn him that there might be ... cautious reactions from the station's population. It might dampen any heated reactions on his part if something should arise."

[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - evening of day 4]

Quote from: Sula Niri on August 20, 2020, 07:47:07 PM

[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Sickbay - Evening of Day 4]

"œI think I'd find myself quite comfortable as the resident veterinarian" Niri started as the turbolift neared its way toward the sickbay, "œI studied xenozoobiology for quite some time while oscillating between a potential career in Science or Medical in the Academy. I wouldn't mind helping out any of the stations furry or scaled residents "" that is, the ones that aren't sapient. Though I'm fine with the sapient ones too."

Although the reception of sickbay looked like any other on the surface, Ensign Sula couldn't help but feel a sense of pride once she arrived at her newest work station. She could still remember the first time she saw a Starfleet vessel's medbay as a young child. She kept her comments of wonder and awe to herself to maintain an appearance of composure, though the feeling could be gleaned by how she wistfully looked about the room as they passed reception toward the real sickbay.

"œI've heard of the recent debacle concerning the reporter, the promenade was still pretty stirred when I had arrived, though the news reports reached me a bit quicker than word of mouth did. It's certainly an interesting time to join the Katra's medical personnel, Kumar. In a way, I'd consider us all very lucky."

Javed's face lighted up when Sula told him she had knowledge in veterinarian medicine. "Oh, that is excellent! Make sure to mention that to Dr. t'Lhoell. You know, we've had issues with visitors trying to smuggle out animals they caught on Meridian - about a dozen wild birds without giving much thought or care about the animal's well-being."

Ensign Kumar started to show her one of the three medical labs as he led her to the left while Sula told him that news of the most recent events on Katra had actually been carried outside of Katra already. The surprise about it showed on his face. That expression became a little more insecure as the Bajoran woman stated they could be happy in a way. He wasn't so sure about that. Wriggling his head he made a vague gesture.

Before he had a chance to reply, a call came in via his comm badge. =/\= "Telana to Ensign Kumar, we have an emergency coming in, surgical room 1. A Grazerite. Severe trauma to the neck area, internal bleeding." While he was still listening Javed looked to Sula and touched her arm in a silent prompt to follow along and he started to jog the short way through the curved corridor to the surgical area. "First aiders revived him three times, he's on life support." =/\=

=/\= "Understood, we're there in a second!" =/\=

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Rayek trLhoell

[ChR S'ten (Meret-class warbird) - leaving Chaltok system - personal quarters](1 and a 1/2 days later)

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on August 20, 2020, 10:19:09 AM

[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Executive officer's quarters - sometime during the officer exchange]

Tess honestly was surprised when she received a timely response back from Taheen. She would have thought the Romulan Centurion would take her time with it. But the sooner she would get the information she sought the better. She already had been afraid the video messages would drag on into the time when Rayek was back. It still could happen. But now it gave Tess hope that it could be done before he returned.

Tess ended her shift that day in her office. It really was a stressful time, the Klingon exchange officers didn't make it exactly easy for her. But today she had a little bit of time until she would meet with her father to go out for dinner. She noticed that he had an eye on her eating - no doubt Rayek had put emphasis on it.

Encouraged by the seemingly willing Romulan to help her out, Tess set up her computer for the video record and only in second thought got the idea that locking the door would be wise. After she had called out to the computer to do so, Tess took one calming breath, taking much less time to prepare for her reply than she had for her initial message to Taheen. "Computer. Start video recording."

Bleep.

"Jolan-tru, Centurion", Tess started her message off. This time she felt by far not as nervous as before. "I want to thank you for your timely response and your willingness to help me with my request." Tess made a brief pause to get Taheen's attention when she was watching this.

"The person I am inquiring about is Talen of the house Lhoell. He was imprisoned in faicol-lhui about 15 years ago, maybe less. I have no exact dates, unfortunately. I am interested in any information you may have about the man's fate. If he is dead I want to know how he died, where and when. I am aware that this is the most likely scenario. However, if he happens to be still alive, I would like to know his current location. If you are not the person to provide me with these information, I hope you know who you can put me in contact with about it?"

Tess paused a moment before she started to wrap up her message. "Before I conclude this there is one more thing I want to ask of you. The person who put me into contact with you did it out of a matter of mnhei'sahe." She made sure to use the proper Romulan word. Rayek once had explained to her that the UT's translation for the word as 'honor' was insufficient. "Regarding your own mnhei'sahe I need to ask you to not take actions against the family of the house I am inquiring about nor let others do that if it is in your power to prevent it." Inclining her head respectfully, Tess bid the woman goodbye. "Jolan-tru, Arrain. I will be looking forward to your response."

"Computer. End recording."

Bleep.

Tess encrypted the message with the code Karinne had given her and send the message off. She then sat back in her chair for a moment longer, pensive. She did not expect as quick a response as this time. But she hoped it would be timely enough.

The S'ten was on it's way back to the Tryka system with supplies to assist with the rebuilding after the attack on Deutus Alliance's headquarters.   Taheen still didn't quite believe that the Federation ship, Discovery, wasn't somehow involved but apparently the Romulan traitors had been caught 'red-handed' by the Alliance ships, proving the Fed's innocence.

She was finalizing her day's reports before calling it a night, when her personal computer pinged with a private message.  Something, perhaps it was the timing or a sixth sense, had her knowing that this was the return message from the human, Tess.   Saving her work for later, Taheen got up from her desk to ensure the door to her quarters were locked.

The use of the Romulan signal jamming device was not paranoia, it was standard protocol now for any encrypted message received.  With so many different factions vying for control of the territory, it was important to keep any orders received as secret as possible.  Though these weren't orders she was receiving it was encrypted so she would follow protocol.

Once protocol was met, Taheen pressed play on her viewscreen and the image of the human woman appeared.  She had been correct on the message's source.  The human woman once more offered a proper Romulan greeting, though she used the Federation term rather than the Rihanssu rank.  She went on to thank Taheen for her willingness to help.  It was only when the woman, named Tess, spoke the name of the individual she wanted information on that Taheen realized that she probably shouldn't have gotten involved.

'Talen tr'Lhoell?... What were the odds that Taheen would be asked by a complete stranger about information on her long lost fiancÁ©'s father?   Taheen was sure her face must register no small amount of shock.  Thank the Elements that this was not a live communication.

So Talen had been imprisoned at Faicol-lhui?  The Romulan officer couldn't help a brief spur of discontent.  Her father had been executed and her family ostracized for his traitorous activities, yet the Proconsul only got imprisoned?  Faicol lhui was a prison reserved for the worse type of criminals - traitors if not killed outright were often sent there to serve and die.

Her attention returned to message as the woman on it continued speaking.   The woman, Tess, noted what information she was looking for and then in an unwelcome turn of called on Taheen's mnhei'sahe to not take negative action against the s'Lhoell clan.   This obviously meant a lot to the human.  Was that because of her Romulan husband?

Taheen couldn't help but draw an assumption of who that could be.   Since Hobus there were few of the Lhoell line left and only a handful directly related to Proconsul Lhoell.  A long forgotten ache formed in her chest.  Could it be him?  Was Rayek truly alive... and married to a human?   The ache turned to a momentary flare resentment.

Was there anyway she could find out for certain?  Who should she contact if it was him? To her knowledge he'd gone missing prior to Hobus... at pretty much the same time as his father...

Realization struck.  He must have been imprisoned too.  But how had he ended up with a human woman?  Had he been among the prisoners she and the ship she served on had been ordered to retrieve?

Taheen closed the now finished message, a pensive look on her face.  There was no way she could respond at the moment.  She needed time to think... to plan.  This had the potential to be big news.  'Who could she contact?' she wondered.

It was nearly 14 years since Taheen had last spoken to Kemala - just after she'd learned of her father's arrangement with Proconsul Lhoell to bind their two families together to tell her the good news.... and just before her father was charged with treason and executed.

In the aftermath of that terrible day, Taheen had tried to get a hold of Rayek, her newly arranged fiancÁ©, believing he and his family would take her in - perhaps shelter her family from some of the social stigma of having a treasonous father.   Yet he had refused her calls, despite his tender attentions from just earlier that week.

Taheen and her family were forced to leave the capital.  It had taken a nearly a year before things settled and she was able to apply for the Military Academy.  Her application nearly rejected at the time.  She would see Kemala in the grade higher... but the two never spoke.   While it was understandable, the family of the Proconsul couldn't be seen in such company - it still hurt.

Things improved after Hobus, fewer people remembered or could afford to turn their nose up at Taheen and her family, who had relocated to an outlying colony world.   Now she had status and was on her way to possibly becoming a Sub-Commander.   Kemala as Commander of her own ship, should be able to overlook the past and be willing to take her call.

It was late in the evening but Taheen wasn't sure the conversation would go any easier if she waited.  She opened an encrypted comm line to Kemala's ship, the Vauthil.

=/\= "Riov t'Lhoell" =/\= she greeted formally with a respectful nod of her head towards the screen.  =/\= "Thank you for taking my call.  I have some information that I believe will be of interest to you personally as well as professionally." =/\=

Taheen paused a moment to ensure she had the Commander's attention.  =/\= "I have received a request from human woman asking for information about the fate and whereabouts of Talen of the clan Lhoell.  I am told that this woman is married to a 'relocated Romulan'.   She claims that Talen, your father, was imprisoned at Faicol lhui about 15 years ago... maybe less.  She contacted me because the ship I served at the time was assigned to deal with the riots there.

I thought you should know before I investigate for any information.  The request for information was announced as a matter of mnhei'sahe by Sub-Commander t'Movel herself so it is nothing I am able to ignore without direct order from someone higher." =/\=

There was another pause before Taheen spoke again towards Kemala on the screen =/\= "What would you have me do, Riov?" =/\=

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Solluk

Noh'ves grimaced.  Once again, this Executive Officer and his daughter were conspiring to turn him away from the simple solution.  Instead, they steered him towards a slow, laborious diplomatic process that would allow a potential problem to worsen rather then be quelled right at its inception.

It was infuriating.

But he also knew it was Starfleet.  And he, for now, was Starfleet.  He should learn from this, rather than fight it.  But it was difficult.

"Very well.  We will delay on the arrests.  Make your medical announcements to quiet the fears of the population.  Then set up your meetings so all parties can share their feelings, have long-winded discussions, and delay a resolution."  The pipius claw snapped in his grasp.  He took a deep breath, letting it out slowly.

Taking a new one, he forced his expression to brighten.  Marginally.

"Let us now discuss a different topic."

His gaze focused on Ensign Wessex.

"Ensign Wessex.  Lately a Lieutenant of a seagoing Naval Service, if I remember my reading.  I have been getting reports about a criminal investigation.  I asked you here so that you could brief M'kai and I on your progress in person, over dinner."

Noh'ves' gaze dipped to the man's plate and he decided that the human's unhappy countenance was due to the cuisine, rather than his own casual disregard for sentient rights and authoritarian approach to security matters.

"And by Kahless, stop trying to eat that.  It's painful to watch.  Take some of the Oc't'opuS if you enjoy the creatures of the sea.  Or have that roast Tur'key that M'kai is so fond of."

His attempt at some of the human food names was heavily accented.

"Eat something you will enjoy.  I crave the mirth which was common at my tables."

Noh'ves was apparently unaware that his own anger and frustration at Starfleet protocols was leaking out and dampening the evening's mood quite a bit.

Paul Wessex

Wessex's tempestuous countenance was becalmed by the words of both t'Lhoell and the woman he now realised was Lt Beja, the station's Chief Diplomatic Officer. Wasn't she also the current commanding officer's daughter? Wessex thought he recalled that in his review of senior officers, but that surely seemed a little outlandish.

His monitoring of the conversation between the particular parties was brought full stop by the Captain Noh'ves directing his eyes his way. Paul was suddenly aware he had stopped chewing at that point, and he was surprised to hear that the Captain was, rather challenging his stormy expression - and therefore his opinion of the topic at hand - instead provided tacit permission to dispense with sampling wares from elsewhere and steer towards more familiar shores. Paul couldn't help but smile and nod gracefully. "Much appreciated, Captain" he replied across the room, his rich, eloquent - but not forced - accent carrying his natural good humour and easy charm. "But there's a saying among we seafarers - 'always be prepared to trim one's sails.' " With that, he bit down on particularly thick piece of whatever-it-was and chewed triumphantly.

Wasn't so bad, either. Fortunately. It wouldn't have done his new career much good spitting out a masticated example of the finest Klingon cuisine.

After that display of probably over-egged determination, Paul swallowed and nodded his intention to turn to the subject of his current activities, somewhat comfortable having to do so at the Captain's Table as was custom in the FNP.

Tess tLhoell

Riov (Commander) Kemala t'Lhoell of the New Romulus Republic
[ChR Vauthil - Romulan space - Commanding officer's office]

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on August 21, 2020, 03:54:49 PM

[ChR S'ten (Meret-class warbird) - leaving Chaltok system - personal quarters](1 and a 1/2 days later)

The S'ten was on it's way back to the Tryka system with supplies to assist with the rebuilding after the attack on Deutus Alliance's headquarters.   Taheen still didn't quite believe that the Federation ship, Discovery, wasn't somehow involved but apparently the Romulan traitors had been caught 'red-handed' by the Alliance ships, proving the Fed's innocence.

She was finalizing her day's reports before calling it a night, when her personal computer pinged with a private message.  Something, perhaps it was the timing or a sixth sense, had her knowing that this was the return message from the human, Tess.   Saving her work for later, Taheen got up from her desk to ensure the door to her quarters were locked.

The use of the Romulan signal jamming device was not paranoia, it was standard protocol now for any encrypted message received.  With so many different factions vying for control of the territory, it was important to keep any orders received as secret as possible.  Though these weren't orders she was receiving it was encrypted so she would follow protocol.

Once protocol was met, Taheen pressed play on her viewscreen and the image of the human woman appeared.  She had been correct on the message's source.  The human woman once more offered a proper Romulan greeting, though she used the Federation term rather than the Rihanssu rank.  She went on to thank Taheen for her willingness to help.  It was only when the woman, named Tess, spoke the name of the individual she wanted information on that Taheen realized that she probably shouldn't have gotten involved.

'Talen tr'Lhoell?... What were the odds that Taheen would be asked by a complete stranger about information on her long lost fiancÁ©'s father?   Taheen was sure her face must register no small amount of shock.  Thank the Elements that this was not a live communication.

So Talen had been imprisoned at Faicol-lhui?  The Romulan officer couldn't help a brief spur of discontent.  Her father had been executed and her family ostracized for his traitorous activities, yet the Proconsul only got imprisoned?  Faicol lhui was a prison reserved for the worse type of criminals - traitors if not killed outright were often sent there to serve and die.

Her attention returned to message as the woman on it continued speaking.   The woman, Tess, noted what information she was looking for and then in an unwelcome turn of called on Taheen's mnhei'sahe to not take negative action against the s'Lhoell clan.   This obviously meant a lot to the human.  Was that because of her Romulan husband?

Taheen couldn't help but draw an assumption of who that could be.   Since Hobus there were few of the Lhoell line left and only a handful directly related to Proconsul Lhoell.  A long forgotten ache formed in her chest.  Could it be him?  Was Rayek truly alive... and married to a human?   The ache turned to a momentary flare resentment.

Was there anyway she could find out for certain?  Who should she contact if it was him? To her knowledge he'd gone missing prior to Hobus... at pretty much the same time as his father...

Realization struck.  He must have been imprisoned too.  But how had he ended up with a human woman?  Had he been among the prisoners she and the ship she served on had been ordered to retrieve?

Taheen closed the now finished message, a pensive look on her face.  There was no way she could respond at the moment.  She needed time to think... to plan.  This had the potential to be big news.  'Who could she contact?' she wondered.

It was nearly 14 years since Taheen had last spoken to Kemala - just after she'd learned of her father's arrangement with Proconsul Lhoell to bind their two families together to tell her the good news.... and just before her father was charged with treason and executed.

In the aftermath of that terrible day, Taheen had tried to get a hold of Rayek, her newly arranged fiancÁ©, believing he and his family would take her in - perhaps shelter her family from some of the social stigma of having a treasonous father.   Yet he had refused her calls, despite his tender attentions from just earlier that week.

Taheen and her family were forced to leave the capital.  It had taken a nearly a year before things settled and she was able to apply for the Military Academy.  Her application nearly rejected at the time.  She would see Kemala in the grade higher... but the two never spoke.   While it was understandable, the family of the Proconsul couldn't be seen in such company - it still hurt.

Things improved after Hobus, fewer people remembered or could afford to turn their nose up at Taheen and her family, who had relocated to an outlying colony world.   Now she had status and was on her way to possibly becoming a Sub-Commander.   Kemala as Commander of her own ship, should be able to overlook the past and be willing to take her call.

It was late in the evening but Taheen wasn't sure the conversation would go any easier if she waited.  She opened an encrypted comm line to Kemala's ship, the Vauthil.

=/\= "Riov t'Lhoell" =/\= she greeted formally with a respectful nod of her head towards the screen.  =/\= "Thank you for taking my call.  I have some information that I believe will be of interest to you personally as well as professionally." =/\=

Taheen paused a moment to ensure she had the Commander's attention.  =/\= "I have received a request from human woman asking for information about the fate and whereabouts of Talen of the clan Lhoell.  I am told that this woman is married to a 'relocated Romulan'.   She claims that Talen, your father, was imprisoned at Faicol lhui about 15 years ago... maybe less.  She contacted me because the ship I served at the time was assigned to deal with the riots there.

I thought you should know before I investigate for any information.  The request for information was announced as a matter of mnhei'sahe by Sub-Commander t'Movel herself so it is nothing I am able to ignore without direct order from someone higher." =/\=

There was another pause before Taheen spoke again towards Kemala on the screen =/\= "What would you have me do, Riov?" =/\=

Despite the late hour, Kemala had not called it a night yet. She sat together with her First Officer Velak. Their several hour long meeting discussing recent reports and latest events had turned into a less formal conversation. Velak and she served together for five years now and he was one of the persons who had earned her trust. Secretly Kemala harboured romantic feelings for him, but she never spoke of, let alone acted on them. She was not sure if she ever would. There were too many variables she couldn't foresee well enough. She liked to have as much information as possible before going into a situation and this was not the case regarding Velak. What it needed was more time, she told herself.

However, Velak didn't seem to want to call it a night yet too. This became clear when he leaned forward in his chair with an offer. "Would you take a drink with me, Commander? I don't want this pleasant conversation to end already."

Kemala smiled and made an approving gesture. "Of course. Surprise me." While Kemala allowed herself a satisfactory glance on the man's butt as he turned his back to her to walk to the replicator she heard him comment on what he might get for them.

"May I challenge you with something I believe you have not tried before", he said as he stopped at the food terminal.

Kemala's face turned into a smirk. "I'm always up for challenges." Her words drowned in the sound of the comupter chiming with an incoming call. Kemala turned her head to glance at the screen. Arrain Taheen t'Raghaellh from the ChR S'ten. Taheen? That name rung a bell. It didn't take long for her memory to take the prompt. Taheen. The name brought back memories of less pleasant times. What did she want?

"Something wrong?"

Kemala glanced up to Velak who had approched the desk and had set down two glasses of something bluish - but not as blue as Romulan Ale was. The Sub-Commander looked at her with concerned curiosity. Realizing that her thoughts might show on her face Kemala's features relaxed into a smile. "No, just a call from the S'ten. I'll make it short."

Kemala had no issues with her First Officer being present during calls if they weren't of very personal nature. So she tapped a button to accept the call. Kemala inclined her head slightly at Taheen's greeting and thanks for her taking on the call. However, the next line made Kemala falter. Information that might be of personal interest to her? Given the history of them and their families, Kemala feared it might be too personal of a topic. She held up her hand towards Taheen to stop her from talking further and then turned her head to glance at Velak on the other side of the desk. "We will continue our conversation tomorrow."

She could see the disappointment and reluctance on his face, but it only flickered over his features for a split second before he complied and stood up. "Of course. Good night, Commander."

There was the sound of doors opening and closing before Kemala turned her attention to Taheen, her face stern. "Proceed."

What the woman had to tell her was of very personal interest to her indeed. That a woman would ask for information on her father who had disappeared over a decade ago was odd enough. But the information that she was said to be married to a 'relocated Romulan' set off something in Kemala's head that threatened to overwhelm her. 'Relocated Romulan' was only a nice way to say you were talking about a defecting Romulan - back then, pre Hobus, it had been the worst act of treason you could possibly do. Her older brother Rayek had disappeared at the same time as her father had. What were the odds after all those years that just some 'random' human inquired about her father and being married to a Romulan without there being a connection? Faicol lhui ... Knowing what kind of prisoners were transferred there said a lot. Probably that was where Rayek and her father had ended up. Was it possible that he might have escaped? Maybe during the riots? Could it be that somehow Rayek was alive and that he was married to a human woman? Wherever outside the Romulan territory? The mere possibility that her brother in fact was still alive excited her.

However, with Taheen watching her Kemala did her best to mask her feelings at the news. She took a moment to think about it. This was of personal interest for her indeed and if Taheen was investigating on the matter anyways, she could benefit from these investigations as well.

"Do as you have been asked and gather all the information you can get. I want reports on your findings. Can you provide the name of the human woman and further information on her? Better yet forward messages she sends to you to me."

Kemala waited for the woman to reply to that before she would end the call. As soon as the screen went black, Kemala exhaled a long breath, the notion that Rayek (and maybe her father?) might be alive had her heart beat hard in her chest. She had to tell Telmuk!

Turning back to the screen she called for the computer to establish communication with her brother. While she waited for him to accept the call, Kemala reached for the beverage Velak had replicated for them earlier and drowned it in go.

[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Officer's Mess - evening of day 4]
Quote from: Solluk on August 21, 2020, 07:42:20 PM

Noh'ves grimaced.  Once again, this Executive Officer and his daughter were conspiring to turn him away from the simple solution.  Instead, they steered him towards a slow, laborious diplomatic process that would allow a potential problem to worsen rather then be quelled right at its inception.

It was infuriating.

But he also knew it was Starfleet.  And he, for now, was Starfleet.  He should learn from this, rather than fight it.  But it was difficult.

"Very well.  We will delay on the arrests.  Make your medical announcements to quiet the fears of the population.  Then set up your meetings so all parties can share their feelings, have long-winded discussions, and delay a resolution."  The pipius claw snapped in his grasp.  He took a deep breath, letting it out slowly.

Taking a new one, he forced his expression to brighten.  Marginally.

"Let us now discuss a different topic."

His gaze focused on Ensign Wessex.

"Ensign Wessex.  Lately a Lieutenant of a seagoing Naval Service, if I remember my reading.  I have been getting reports about a criminal investigation.  I asked you here so that you could brief M'kai and I on your progress in person, over dinner."

Noh'ves' gaze dipped to the man's plate and he decided that the human's unhappy countenance was due to the cuisine, rather than his own casual disregard for sentient rights and authoritarian approach to security matters.

"And by Kahless, stop trying to eat that.  It's painful to watch.  Take some of the Oc't'opuS if you enjoy the creatures of the sea.  Or have that roast Tur'key that M'kai is so fond of."

His attempt at some of the human food names was heavily accented.

"Eat something you will enjoy.  I crave the mirth which was common at my tables."

Noh'ves was apparently unaware that his own anger and frustration at Starfleet protocols was leaking out and dampening the evening's mood quite a bit.

Noh'ves once more chose sarcasm to approve of hers and Beja's suggestions but this time Tess took it better than earlier in the Captain's office. She looked at the Klingon and nodded her head. "Yes, sir."

As the topic then went on to Ensign Wessex, she smiled at how well the Ensign replied to Noh'ves comment, it actually made her chuckle a bit.
Tess then continued on with her own meal while she glanced over to Beja. She might seek her advice how better to deal with her father or how she could do better. The counselor might have some words of advice for her.

Then another feeling hit her. She missed Rayek as she realized she wouldn't be able to talk to him about this. Pushing away those sad feelings - cause if not Noh'ves, Rayek being gone would make her cry for sure - she returned her attention to the dinner.

Rayek trLhoell

[ChR S'ten (Meret-class warbird) - leaving Chaltok system - personal quarters]

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on August 23, 2020, 11:22:38 AM

What the woman had to tell her was of very personal interest to her indeed. That a woman would ask for information on her father who had disappeared over a decade ago was odd enough. But the information that she was said to be married to a 'relocated Romulan' set off something in Kemala's head that threatened to overwhelm her. 'Relocated Romulan' was only a nice way to say you were talking about a defecting Romulan - back then, pre Hobus, it had been the worst act of treason you could possibly do. Her older brother Rayek had disappeared at the same time as her father had. What were the odds after all those years that just some 'random' human inquired about her father and being married to a Romulan without there being a connection? Faicol lhui ... Knowing what kind of prisoners were transferred there said a lot. Probably that was where Rayek and her father had ended up. Was it possible that he might have escaped? Maybe during the riots? Could it be that somehow Rayek was alive and that he was married to a human woman? Wherever outside the Romulan territory? The mere possibility that her brother in fact was still alive excited her.

However, with Taheen watching her Kemala did her best to mask her feelings at the news. She took a moment to think about it. This was of personal interest for her indeed and if Taheen was investigating on the matter anyways, she could benefit from these investigations as well.

"Do as you have been asked and gather all the information you can get. I want reports on your findings. Can you provide the name of the human woman and further information on her? Better yet forward messages she sends to you to me."

Taheen nodded her agreement to the Commander's orders.  "Yes, Riov I will send you the past two recordings right away.  Do you wish for t'Movel's introduction message.  I saved it as well."  Just in case her she were ever questioned why she was inquiring about such matters... "As for her name, I was only provided with 'Tess' by t'Movel.  My search on the name has shown it can be used as both a personal name or a surname.   Perhaps a closer study of her transmission might provide more information though the location data has been stripped away."

With a few key strokes the messages were sent, along with a copy of the encryption key. "I'll keep you informed as to anything of note that I find. Jolan tru, Riov"

NPC Major Telmuk tr'Lhoell
[Tryka system - Tryka IV - capital city]

The destruction of the Deutus Alliance Headquarters a month ago had been fortuitous.   One less thing for Telmuk to have to do.  As it was, currently the Tal'Shiar operative was discreetly observing an informant with some valuable information.  He had been watching the Republic officer for some time now making certain that the man was being watched by any other than himself.  He would probably continue to do so for another hour or so before making contact with the junior office for the information that man claimed he had and was willing to 'sell'.

A soft vibration under his civilian clothes announced to him an incoming call.  Since he'd put all calls but those from his superior or family to automatic message he knew it had to either of the two.

Drawing back a bit yet still within line of sight of his observed target, he pulled out his communications device to answer the call.  He put the audio to his ear bud and accepted the call, not so much watching the screen but more glancing between it and the informant in the distance.

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on August 23, 2020, 11:22:38 AM

Kemala waited for the woman to reply to that before she would end the call. As soon as the screen went black, Kemala exhaled a long breath, the notion that Rayek (and maybe her father?) might be alive had her heart beat hard in her chest. She had to tell Telmuk!

Turning back to the screen she called for the computer to establish communication with her brother. While she waited for him to accept the call, Kemala reached for the beverage Velak had replicated for them earlier and drowned it in go.

The visual of his sister appeared.  While he would like to say that she rarely called, that wasn't the case.  She'd taken the duties of clan head all too seriously - given the direct clan consisted of just them.  Their mother and any relatives they'd known of from the Lhoell clan had died on Hobus.  Leaving the siblings with only one another to rely on.

Kemala contacted usually at least once a week but usually her timing was better.  This call was usual.  In a glance he took note of her surroundings.  She was aboard her ship in her quarters - that's usually where she called him from.

"Kemala, this call is unexpected.  I'm a bit busy moment... can we make this quick?"

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Tess tLhoell

Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell
[Katra Station "" Deck 2 "" Briefing room "" evenig of day 4]

Tess looked subtly around as Captain Noh'ves tried to lighten up the mood a little bit after the discussion that had not gone that well. Her gaze lingered a little longer on the Klingon and she thought to herself that she maybe should seek a private conversation with him sometime tomorrow to clear any misunderstandings between them. They would have to work together for quite some time still and she would prefer a more comfortable atmosphere between them.

Picking up on Noh'ves attempt to steer the topic of the conversation in another direction, Tess nodded at his comment about the turkey, of which she had a piece on her own plate. "žI can only agree with M'Kai, the roast turkey is delicious", Tess smiled. At the mention of the latest developments Ensign Wessex had been working on, Tess turned her attention to the Ensign in attentive curiosity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on August 25, 2020, 01:28:38 PM

[ChR S'ten (Meret-class warbird) - leaving Chaltok system - personal quarters]

Taheen nodded her agreement to the Commander's orders.  "Yes, Riov I will send you the past two recordings right away.  Do you wish for t'Movel's introduction message.  I saved it as well."  Just in case her she were ever questioned why she was inquiring about such matters... "As for her name, I was only provided with 'Tess' by t'Movel.  My search on the name has shown it can be used as both a personal name or a surname.   Perhaps a closer study of her transmission might provide more information though the location data has been stripped away."

With a few key strokes the messages were sent, along with a copy of the encryption key. "I'll keep you informed as to anything of note that I find. Jolan tru, Riov"

NPC Major Telmuk tr'Lhoell
[Tryka system - Tryka IV - capital city]

The destruction of the Deutus Alliance Headquarters a month ago had been fortuitous.   One less thing for Telmuk to have to do.  As it was, currently the Tal'Shiar operative was discreetly observing an informant with some valuable information.  He had been watching the Republic officer for some time now making certain that the man was being watched by any other than himself.  He would probably continue to do so for another hour or so before making contact with the junior office for the information that man claimed he had and was willing to 'sell'.

A soft vibration under his civilian clothes announced to him an incoming call.  Since he'd put all calls but those from his superior or family to automatic message he knew it had to either of the two.

Drawing back a bit yet still within line of sight of his observed target, he pulled out his communications device to answer the call.  He put the audio to his ear bud and accepted the call, not so much watching the screen but more glancing between it and the informant in the distance.

The visual of his sister appeared.  While he would like to say that she rarely called, that wasn't the case.  She'd taken the duties of clan head all too seriously - given the direct clan consisted of just them.  Their mother and any relatives they'd known of from the Lhoell clan had died on Hobus.  Leaving the siblings with only one another to rely on.

Kemala contacted usually at least once a week but usually her timing was better.  This call was usual.  In a glance he took note of her surroundings.  She was aboard her ship in her quarters - that's usually where she called him from.

"Kemala, this call is unexpected.  I'm a bit busy moment... can we make this quick?"

Kemala didn't have to wait long for her brother to accept the call. The visual of him appearing on her computer screen was bit strange. He didn't look directly at the phone but held it low so she had a view from a rather unflattering angle on him. She could make out the civilian attire he wore and that he was at a more or less public place. So he must be off duty.

Jolan tru, dinam (*brother). I'm sorry to interrupt your leisure time. When you hear the news I just received you will forget about that quickly."œ In her hand she held the other full glass of alcoholic beverage Velak had replicated for them as she looked at the screen with a subtle grin. She couldn't wait to tell him the news. "žIt has been brought to my attention that a human woman is seeking information of the whereabouts of ... our father."œ She paused briefly. It hadn't been easy for both of them after Talen and also Rayek had disappeared. "žThe  woman who is asking about our father claims to be married to a "¦ how did Taheen put it "¦ 'relocated Romulan' and she also claims to know that father had been in faicol lhui about 15 years ago."œ

She paused once again to take a long slow sip of the strong alcoholic beverage. "žWhat do you think about that, my dear brother?!"œ She started to grin, waiting to see the same excitement on his face as she expected he would draw the same conclusions as her. "The source is absolutely trustworthy. Sub-Commander t'Movel brought the woman into contact with the Arrain of the S'ten in a matter of mnhei'sahe." Kemala leaned forward the grin showing fully on her face now. "Who do you think that Romulan could be?"

Solluk

Noh'ves watched as the young human officer ate a bite of his meal with a flourish.  Well, the man seemed eager enough to please.  Hopefully his competence matched his enthusiasm.

"Trim sails?  Ah.  Nautical references."  H'rel nodded.  "We Klingons had some seacraft in our history, and now. But our vast Ocean was not as historically important as yours, for our continent is more connected.   Like you, we incorporate some marine language into our service, and boats even feature in our religion, but our sea forces were never as varied as yours.  Sea power was never as important on Qo'nos as it was for Earth because marching forces by land was almost always an option.

Even today, we do not have a dedicated planetary Naval force.  Nor do we make good use of undersea resources.  I would be interested in learning what life is like on an oceangoing vessel.  What you do there, on and under the waves.  And how it differs from interstellar voyages."

"After he briefs us on his investigation," Noh'ves interjected.

"Of course,"  H'rel conceded, and watched Wessex attentively.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.