S2 M10 - Advenæ

Started by Solluk, October 20, 2020, 03:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess tLhoell

Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck 2 - s'Lhoell quarters]

An hour later Tess woke. She didn't know exactly what had woken her, but her sensed immediately focused on Fvienn. Opening her eyes she propped herself up on one elbow to peek into the crib. The newborn was just about to wake up, making quiet little noises and gimaces that were just too cute. Tess smiled but then wondered if those noises really had woken her up. Probably. She had heard that women were incredibly focused on their infant, even in sleep and would wake from what wouldn't have before they had become mothers.

Only as Tess sat up and the blanket slid down to pool around her waist did she notice that someone must have tucked her in. Just as she was about to glance about did Phara move into her line of sight.

"You're awake", the Romulan woman stated the obvious with a fond smile. "I was going to give you another 10 minutes or so, but Fvienn doesn't seem to want to wait longer." She stopped next to the crib and smiled at the baby.

"Thank you", Tess said to her. "For staying. I'm glad I'm not alone. I think I would have worried too much", she admitted. Sliding to the edge of the sofa, Tess smiled at her little one, with the symbol of the Baby ceremony still on his forehead. "Hello, my precious darling", she cooed while she started to free him from being swaddled. Her heart jumped with joy when Fvienn actually seemed to react to her voice. He started to move more no and blinking his eyes open for the first time. Tess' smile grew when she noticed that his eyes were the blue that was common in her own family. Fvienn looked so much like Rayek. But his eyes were hers. "Oh", she breathed as she picked him up to hold him in her arms and then looked to Phara. "Do Romulan babies usually have brown eyes?" She had heard that human's babies eyes were always blue when they were newborn but would change later to the actual eye color they would have.

"Yes, they have brown eyes. I take it, he has your eye color?", Phara smiled and moved to her side to look at the little boy. She chuckled when Fvienn made a face.

"It seems so", Tess smiled and then suppressed a yawn. Then, while she moved Fvienn to feed him, Tess looked to Phara. "I long did I sleep? Did a call came in?" She recalled that she had started some research. And Kurros ... was he still on the station? Or rather his hologram or replicant or whatever it was?

"No", Phara replied over the noise of little Fvienn nursing. "Everything was quiet."

Not even Rayek?, Tess added in her mind, but didn't say it out loud. He surely had his hands full dealing with Kurros and the diplomatic meeting. And probably wanted her to get some sleep. She would be able to catch up once she had a moment to check her PADD.
Tess fell silent for a while and just watched the little baby suckle greedily.

"He has good appetite. That's very good", Phara commented. "He will need a lot of energy to grow."

Her last words drowned in the chime of the door. Tess looked up, glancing briefly to Phara before she called out. "Come in."

In the door appeared the tall frame of her eldest brother. In his hands and arms he held and carried bags and boxes. The brows on the disfigured face curled into a frown as he stopped dead after taking one step in. "I seem to come at an inopportune time."

Tess smiled and shook her head. "If you don't mind, I surely don't. Please, come in."

The former Son'a stepped inside, finally leaving the space around the door that would allo it to slide closed. "These are just some of the gifts that had been handed over for you and Rayek", he explained what these bags and boxes were. "You seem to be quite well-liked."

Tess was overwhelmed. "Thank you for bringing them here. Oh, let me introduce you", she said as Phara unobtrusively offered to take some of the bags so Tamonar could move freely. "This is Phara, she's become a friend and is here to help me. Phara, this is my brother, Tamonar."

Phara inclined her head to him and Tamonar nodded. "We have met briefly in front of the delivery room. But haven't been introduced yet. It's nice to meet you."

"Jolan-tru."

While Phara took care of the gifts, Tamonar moved closer to Tess and only sat down after Tess invited him to do so with a gesture of her hand. They still had to get to know each other. The short time on Ba'ku had not been enough. It was still astounding to her that the man was almost a century old. "Why are you on your own? Where's Rahul?", Tess asked, her gaze alternating between Fvienn and her brother.

"Oh, he stayed at his quarters." Tamonar gestured a little uncomfortably with his hands. "He's a little overwhelmed, I think. He needs time to process everything." Tess nodded in understanding. Before she could express that, Tamonar added. "He, and I too, hope that our unexpected arrival didn't do harm to you or little Fvienn."

Tess noticed there was something different in the way the former Son'a looked at the baby than anyone would look at a newborn. There was enchantment, yes, but she believed to see some wistfulness too. Instantly a suspicion came to her. Son'a were known to be infertile. In their history of desperately trying to stop the effect of aging, they had experimented with other kinds of radiation - which had led to the bitter result that the Son'a as a poeple eventually would die out. Her brother had returned to Ba'ku. But she doubted that even the metaphasic radiation would be able to reverse that effect any time soon.

"No, please don't worry about that", Tess assured him. "Reading the signs in hindsight, it might have happened today or tomorrow latest anyway. I'm glad he's here now." With a smile she looked down at the tiny life in her arm. Fvienn seemed to have finished nursing, so Tess covered her chest and made him rest his head on her shoulder while she gently patted his back. "So, how long are you going to stay?", Tess asked curiously. She really was looking forward to spending some time with her family.

"That's not really decided yet. I think it depends on Rahul." He seemed to hesitate briefly. "I will admit, that I got used to access of technology quite quickly."

Tess gave him a sympathetic smile. "I know what you mean. I'm not sure I could ever live completely without it again." Fvienn burped very quietly, which made Tess chuckle. "Do you agree, my darling?" She lifted him up to smile at him - and sure enough she baby looked at her with big eyes and the corners of his mouth twitched. Tess chuckled and then looked back at Tamonar. "Would you like to hold him?"

The man cleared his throat a little uncomfortably and slid back into the back of the chair as if to get away from the situation but then leaned forward at the same time. "I don't know, I probably shouldn't. I don't know how to do it."

"I'll show you", Tess said and beckoned him over with a move of her head. Her brother complied and moved to sit down beside her. "Hold your arms like this and just make sure you always support the head", she explained and then carefully laid Fvienn in Tamonar's arms. "Say jolan-tru to your uncle", Tess grinned and gently caressed Fvienn's cheek.

While Tamonar held Fvienn, Tess used the moment she had to check her PADD for new developments regarding Kurros and the diplomatic meeting.

NPC Juraan Ren
[Aboard the 'Wonderland']

While Cathy worked on checking if his plan worked - Juraan wasn't sure if it would at all, he had just thought to give it a try - one of the intruders broke down, obviously dying. The other two then concentrated to taking out Finn and himself. While it seemed like the Captain had trouble with his ancient weapon, Juraan's focus inevitably moved to the figure approaching him, wielding the rifle like a baseball bat. In a split second he noticed the knife still stuck in the person's abdomen, then he already head to duck his head. He heard the buzz of the object being hurled through the air, then he pushed himself to a straight position again while he already reached his hand out to grab the handle of the knife. It was his lucky moment. He got hold of it, yanked it to the side with all the force he could muster to let the blade cut through more flesh and then pulled it out, making use of the moment of pain for the intruder to ram his shoulder against him to throw him off balance. All of this happened in seconds and at the same time Juraan saw the other boarder hovering over him at the other end of the cargo bay, between some of the crates.

Rushing toward the pair, clutching the knife in his hand he had just pulled out of the other guy, he approached from behind, cautious for any signs the attacker might notice him. If he'd be lucky enough, he would be able to bury that blade deep into the back of the raider.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Rayek trLhoell

Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - OCC]

Quote from: Solluk on November 28, 2020, 01:46:36 AM

Katra Station - Dord Embassy

Director Boz glanced to one side, then he returned his attention to the viewscreen where Rayek was speaking to him.

"It is thoughtful of you to reach out, Commander.  Let me deactivate our holoprojectors now..."  Boz touched something on a panel offscreen, and a series of numbers briefly flashed on the screen.

01001011 01110101 01110010 01110010 01101111 01110011 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00101110 00100000 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100110 01100101 01100101 01101100 00100000 01110101 01101110 01110011 01100001 01100110 01100101 00101110

"I am unfamiliar with this 'Kurros.'  I'm not sure what you are ascii of me?"

The Dord Ambassador's immediate compliance was not at all what the Romulan Second Officer expected and it had him alert.  His feeling seemed to prove true when a moment later a set of numbers - solely 1's and 0's flashed on his screen.  Rayek was quick to highlight the set of numbers and copy them to an electronic notepad, while the Ambassador denied knowing of Kurros.

With Rayek's thoughts already suspecting that the numbers were a code of some sort, it didn't take much for the Romulan to pick up on the ascii reference.   Rayek didn't have that particular computer code memorized at the moment since it was a Human code from the mid-20th century.   But what he did know of it was that it was based off a series of 3 numerals for one digit.   This didn't look like ascii to him... but he could be mistaken.

While he ran the numbers through an ascii translator program, Rayek smiled at the Dord as if nothing was amiss.

"We appreciate your prompt compliance..." he paused when the ascii translation came out as gibberish.  Had the Dord double encrypted the message somehow? It was possible, but what he was seeing with the string of 1's and 0's was more reminiscent of binary code.  Yet another Human computer code from that same era.

"One moment, while I confirm something."

On a hunch Rayek ran the code though a Binary translator, and sure enough this time the translation was legible...and worrisome. It read:

Kurros was here.  I feel unsafe.
Rayek nodded once, before turning his head to the side and muted the video comm.

"Computer. Secure channel and encrypt."

Rayek waited a moment until a ping let him know that the comm line was encrypted on his end.  He silently mouthed his request.

=/\= "tr'Lhoell to Wessex.  Dispatch additional security to each Embassy. Priority to the Dord Embassy.  Kurros may still be present there." =/\=    Rayek recalled the Ambassador's look offscreen just prior to the man welcoming his call.   Someone else had been present then.

"My apologies for that... " he remarked answering in part the man's message but could easily be mistaken for him apologizing for the wait.

=/\= "While we track down the individual responsible for this breach, I must insist on additional security being posted to your embassy.  While I recognize this as an imposition, I do feel it necessary for your safety as well as that of the station. They should be there shortly.  You can report your complaint regarding the situation to the officer who will pass it to me in due course unless you prefer to speak to me in person." =/\=

Rayek kept the line open with Ambassador Boz in case the Dord felt the need to have someone present, but muted his mic while he proceeded to contact the Numati next.

One-by-one Rayek contacted each of the Embassies requesting they shut down their holoprojector systems, asking point-blank if the intruder, Kurros, had visited or threatened them in any way.

All but one - the Klingson's - confirmed that they were visited but none were speaking much about the incident though each seemed justly upset - perhaps at the lack of security, perhaps at whatever it was that Kurros spoke to them about.  Had it been about the Arretans?  The Captain and Beja would likely need to discuss this topic with all the embassies at once sooner rather than later.  But without any proof it was all hearsay.

Rayek messaged Solluk and Tess via text confirming that each of the Embassies had been visited.

NPC Cathy Daniels
[Freighter Wonderland]
Quote from: Finn Moreno on November 28, 2020, 03:23:44 AM

[Aboard the Wonderland]

There was no satisfaction when one of the intruders was hit by a bullet, not even relief because two more were here attacking Finn and Juraan, who made a run for the cockpit.

Inwardly Finn cursed the man for this cowardly move because the freighter captain would be left to fight two men in armor by himself. The injured one followed Juraan, swinging his phaser, though.
"Cathy, dooor!" He yelled on top of his lungs.

Again Finn aimed the old, loud weapon, but it jammed.
"Nonono!" Feverishly he tried to load again and shoot but nothing happened. Nothing but a phaser being thrust at him with incredible force. At the last second he moved to the side to protect his throat but caught it with his shoulder and was thrown backwards off the container.
At the bottom he landed in a heap, the rifle still in his hands as his only weapon.
The impact knocked the air out of him for a seemingly very long time.
Lying there on his back, he could see the lights overhead swimming. Then the raider came in his line of vision.
With both hands Finn lifted the rifle and a leg to block his blows. He was well aware that he was in a really bad spot now. Finn was only human and pretty afraid but that fear fuelled his adrenaline.
Then he spotted the knife....30 feet away.
So he got to his knees, then feet to try and reach it first.

Cathy was making steady progress in the process to magnetize the deck plating but wasn't quite there yet when she heard another call out to her.  This time it was Finn.

Door? What door?  The ship had a lot of doors.  The two nearest to him were the cargo hold door where Juraan was at - it separated the large forward section of the ship from the cargo area - or the loading doors, which opened out to the vacuum of space.

Holy mackerel! No way that was what he was suggesting... was it!?  If she unlocked the loading doors and vented the room anything not strapped down would be sucked out into space - including the Captain!

She glanced to the screen, he was crawling on the floor trying to reach for his knife.  No way he wouldn't be swept out with the intruders if she opened the doors now.   He must mean lock the front cabin so that they couldn't get to her and take control of the ship.

"Juraan, clear the door - I'm locking the hold down!" she called even as she noticed Juraan racing towards the intruder that had his attention on the Captain.

With the doorway clear, Cathy activated the door security and locked the pair in with the intruders.

NPC Ensign Nadia Oloze and NPC Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Khan
[USS Healy - Bridge]

Quote from: Eli Ferris on November 27, 2020, 08:06:42 PM

"œExcellent work. Keep a sharp eye on them."
Eli's voiced carried a strong level of confidence, projecting a surety that could at least stay on top of the Thinkers' movements, even if there struggles in countering it.
"œSon of a"¦" Eli swore inwardly. Outwardly he took steps to analyze the on screen data presented.
"œAlert Katra immediately to our findings. Saqa7, adjust our sensors to alert any tetryon emissions, regardless of how small. It might give use some clues as to where they are sending energy."
Eli stepped back towards his seat to consider the read outs. Tetryons usually indicated working inside subspace, possibly for communication purposes. Could they jam it? And how would the Thinkers regard it? Possibly an act of aggression, if he were to guess. They were an odd bunch.
"œStatus of the shuttle since that surge, Mr. Jimrec?"

"Aye sir!" Ensign Oloze responded to the Captain's order sending Katra their readings.

Saqa7 nodded silently, working on the necessary changes to the sensors.  "Adjustments made, sir.  It looks like there are traces of tetryons in several locations on Deck 11 and one on Deck 15.  The embassies, sir.... and the Promenade."

USS Healy - Bridge

Sensor readouts coming into bridge consoles would show various changes occurring.   The unusual particle activity on the station had now ceased completely.  However, the Thinkers' shuttle was showing a new energy increase.   It seemed the warp core- or whatever passed for an energy core on that craft- was suddenly generating a massive spike of energy.  It was unclear what this energy might be for, but usually an energy buildup of this nature was used either for propulsion or weapons systems.

"Wait moment... the tetryon particles are gone now.... But the Thinker shuttle core output is spiking again, sir!"
On Katra, Ops was receiving the first transmission from the Healy, but by then Rayek had already determined most of the locations of where Kurros had visited.

However, the Healy wasn't the only one watching the Thinker shuttle and news of the spike in the shuttles engine output had Rayek nervous.  There was a brief moment when the Romulan considered throwing away all that he'd regained in order to assure his wife and son's safety by ordering Tactical to take out the shuttle before it could fire or leave the system.   But honestly suspected given his past that his order would be ignored even by the junior officer.

"Silent Alert! Target the shuttle but hold until we can determine it's intent."

He then waited.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Hrafn Falleg

[Sickbay - Station Katra]

[As Dr. Anthony McCutheon, Daystrom Scientist]

"Soooo.... any chance I can be let loose doc, or you sending me for psyche eval or something, see I have to stay on Katra, my sister Sally is coming here with her pal Lt. Falleg's daughter Ruthie for her academy vacation, Lt. Falleg is actually bringing her back.  Awwww... man.  I told Hrafn I wouldn't get in trouble.  Am I gonna be in trouble??"  Anth asked of Dr. Yona

"I mean I suppose you confine me to quarters if you're worried about my mental health but I just flipped, she looked so like my Louise.  How was I supposed to know that a gorgeous woman like that was with well..."  He peered around the figure of Ta-Li wondering if the Nausicaan in question was also receiving treatment, he knew he probably was getting his genitals checked out.

"Well you know... Nausicaans aren't the most aesthetically pleasing specimens unless to others of their own I suppose but maybe Ms. Gorgeous knows something we don't?!  Maybe that one is fabulously rich or something!"  he shrugged.

Eyeing the Security in the corridor he looked at the doctor and pulled a face.  "I guess it's down to you doc... turn me in to Security and I might be in the Brig while Sally is here, or confine me to quarters until you set up some sessions with the station counsellor... which will mean everyone thinks I'm a complete and utter nutter, which ain't far from the truth even if we aren't talking about this episode, I mean in the fun, likes warped jokes way!, but I get to hang out with Sal when she gets here."

He had an almost pleading look in his eyes. "I mean c'mon, is the age of chivalry dead, he looked like he was pulling her along, wouldn't you want to help a woman that could be being oppressed, abused etc?! Could I appeal to Captain Solluk?  He seems a reasonable fellow."

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Don Damien Addams

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on November 28, 2020, 02:12:21 PM

Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - OCC]

The Dord Ambassador's immediate compliance was not at all what the Romulan Second Officer expected and it had him alert.  His feeling seemed to prove true when a moment later a set of numbers - solely 1's and 0's flashed on his screen.  Rayek was quick to highlight the set of numbers and copy them to an electronic notepad, while the Ambassador denied knowing of Kurros.

With Rayek's thoughts already suspecting that the numbers were a code of some sort, it didn't take much for the Romulan to pick up on the ascii reference.   Rayek didn't have that particular computer code memorized at the moment since it was a Human code from the mid-20th century.   But what he did know of it was that it was based off a series of 3 numerals for one digit.   This didn't look like ascii to him... but he could be mistaken.

While he ran the numbers through an ascii translator program, Rayek smiled at the Dord as if nothing was amiss.

"We appreciate your prompt compliance..." he paused when the ascii translation came out as gibberish.  Had the Dord double encrypted the message somehow? It was possible, but what he was seeing with the string of 1's and 0's was more reminiscent of binary code.  Yet another Human computer code from that same era.

"One moment, while I confirm something."

On a hunch Rayek ran the code though a Binary translator, and sure enough this time the translation was legible...and worrisome. It read:

Kurros was here.  I feel unsafe.
Rayek nodded once, before turning his head to the side and muted the video comm.

"Computer. Secure channel and encrypt."

Rayek waited a moment until a ping let him know that the comm line was encrypted on his end.  He silently mouthed his request.

=/\= "tr'Lhoell to Wessex.  Dispatch additional security to each Embassy. Priority to the Dord Embassy.  Kurros may still be present there." =/\=    Rayek recalled the Ambassador's look offscreen just prior to the man welcoming his call.   Someone else had been present then.

"My apologies for that... " he remarked answering in part the man's message but could easily be mistaken for him apologizing for the wait.

=/\= "While we track down the individual responsible for this breach, I must insist on additional security being posted to your embassy.  While I recognize this as an imposition, I do feel it necessary for your safety as well as that of the station. They should be there shortly.  You can report your complaint regarding the situation to the officer who will pass it to me in due course unless you prefer to speak to me in person." =/\=

Rayek kept the line open with Ambassador Boz in case the Dord felt the need to have someone present, but muted his mic while he proceeded to contact the Numati next.

One-by-one Rayek contacted each of the Embassies requesting they shut down their holoprojector systems, asking point-blank if the intruder, Kurros, had visited or threatened them in any way.

All but one - the Klingson's - confirmed that they were visited but none were speaking much about the incident though each seemed justly upset - perhaps at the lack of security, perhaps at whatever it was that Kurros spoke to them about.  Had it been about the Arretans?  The Captain and Beja would likely need to discuss this topic with all the embassies at once sooner rather than later.  But without any proof it was all hearsay.

Rayek messaged Solluk and Tess via text confirming that each of the Embassies had been visited.

NPC Cathy Daniels
[Freighter Wonderland]

Cathy was making steady progress in the process to magnetize the deck plating but wasn't quite there yet when she heard another call out to her.  This time it was Finn.

Door? What door?  The ship had a lot of doors.  The two nearest to him were the cargo hold door where Juraan was at - it separated the large forward section of the ship from the cargo area - or the loading doors, which opened out to the vacuum of space.

Holy mackerel! No way that was what he was suggesting... was it!?  If she unlocked the loading doors and vented the room anything not strapped down would be sucked out into space - including the Captain!

She glanced to the screen, he was crawling on the floor trying to reach for his knife.  No way he wouldn't be swept out with the intruders if she opened the doors now.   He must mean lock the front cabin so that they couldn't get to her and take control of the ship.

"Juraan, clear the door - I'm locking the hold down!" she called even as she noticed Juraan racing towards the intruder that had his attention on the Captain.

With the doorway clear, Cathy activated the door security and locked the pair in with the intruders.

NPC Ensign Nadia Oloze and NPC Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Khan
[USS Healy - Bridge]

"Aye sir!" Ensign Oloze responded to the Captain's order sending Katra their readings.

Saqa7 nodded silently, working on the necessary changes to the sensors.  "Adjustments made, sir.  It looks like there are traces of tetryons in several locations on Deck 11 and one on Deck 15.  The embassies, sir.... and the Promenade."

"Wait moment... the tetryon particles are gone now.... But the Thinker shuttle core output is spiking again, sir!"

On Katra, Ops was receiving the first transmission from the Healy, but by then Rayek had already determined most of the locations of where Kurros had visited.

However, the Healy wasn't the only one watching the Thinker shuttle and news of the spike in the shuttles engine output had Rayek nervous.  There was a brief moment when the Romulan considered throwing away all that he'd regained in order to assure his wife and son's safety by ordering Tactical to take out the shuttle before it could fire or leave the system.   But honestly suspected given his past that his order would be ignored even by the junior officer.

"Silent Alert! Target the shuttle but hold until we can determine it's intent."

He then waited.

USS Healy - Bridge

Sensor readouts coming into bridge consoles would show various changes occurring.   The unusual particle activity on the station had now ceased completely.  However, the Thinkers' shuttle was showing a new energy increase.   It seemed the warp core- or whatever passed for an energy core on that craft- was suddenly generating a massive spike of energy.  It was unclear what this energy might be for, but usually an energy buildup of this nature was used either for propulsion or weapons systems.

[USS Healy - Bridge]

"Captain! They increasing power. Unsure what it could be what they did with Katra. They could be charging their engines and get away....suggest we put a tractor beam them and stop them from moving. Firing on them will come hostile," he declared. Accident fire would be a shame. Boom. Oops they blew them away. Blame it on the guy name BOB the well known NPC Bartender.

Eydis

Quote from: Zex on November 27, 2020, 04:39:50 PM

Outside Tholian Embassy - Katra Station

Zex turned back to Eydis.  "Lets go ahead on up" the Deltan suggested.  She started to lead the way.

[Conference Room 7]

Zex arrived early.  She remained standing.  Unsure how long this meeting would take.

Yes that is the best action for us now. And I much appreciate the escort as I'm sure skaldyr does as well. Eydis tilted hir head a little towards the larger tholian warrior as if shi was poking fun at him. Skaldyr would bow his head to zex and shift a little as Eydis would follow after zex.

Beja

Katra Station - Conference Room 7

Beja had felt guilty that there had not been a chance for her to properly congratulate Rayek and Tess on the birth of their son. With all the crazy diplomatic issues and unexpected events there had not been time, and that didn't appear to change anytime soon. She would of course stop by at the first opportunity and drop off the gift she had for them. Hopefully the Klingon and Tholian meeting would go smoothly and she could focus on her friend's joyous addition.

For now though, Beja had to make her way to conference room 7 to see what all had taken place to move the diplomatic ceremony up so many hours. All kinds of various scenarios ran through her head: had the Klingons requested it? In an attempt to keep senior Starfleet from being present? Had the Tholians requested it, because they were going to go through with their hypothetical pirate stealing the ship?

Beja didn't know but she was very anxious to discover the answers to the questions. Beja hoped that whatever had taken place, that there could still be a way to continue down the path of peace.
The possibility of war with The Thinkers was very real, they certainly didn't need to add another war with the Klingon Empire to the mix.

Beja put her confident smile on her face, as she entered the conference room and greeted the Tholians and Zex who were already present, "œHello, ambassador, I am glad to see your safe return to Katra."

Then she turned to Zex, "œEnsign, thank you for taking care of the diplomatic needs so well on Katra. Captain Solluk should be joining us shortly."

Solluk

Katra Station - Turbolift

Solluk entered the turbolift from his Ready Room just as his PADD beeped.  "Deck Eleven," he instructed, and the lift was set into motion.  As it descended, he took out his PADD and studied the message there.

He quickly tapped a response.  Commander, we need to know whether our systems were hacked, whether Kurros actually boarded the station, or whether Kurros' visitation is the result of some as-yet unknown communication method.  We can't act against the shuttle until we have evidence of a trespass.

Tucking his PADD away as the turbolift door opened, Solluk entered Deck 11 and proceeded to the conference room.

Conference Room, Deck 11

"Ambassador," he said as he entered, "I don't think I've properly expressed my gratification at seeing you alive and well.  My diplomatic officers tell me your meeting with the Klingons has been moved up.  But I also understand there is some uncertainty regarding your presentation.  How can I help?"

Dord Embassy

Director Boz nodded, "Of course, I understand.  We will allow your security personnel to enter the embassy.  But tell me, Commander... this intruder... is he a telepath?"

Boz had no means to explain the apparition which had appeared before xir a moment ago.  Xir instruments had told xir that there had been no infiltration of the holo-system.  And the internal sensors confirmed there had been no life-signs in xir chamber, other than xir own.  That seemed to leave one terrifying possibility- the man who had appeared here had been planted into Boz' mind.

Few things could be more alarming to a Dord master.

SS Wonderland

Blood and screams filled the cargo area, but Moreno could not see the details of whatever battle was being waged.  The Captain's attention was forced on Norvis' form as the combat-suited boarder seized him and prevented him from going for the knife he'd been after.

With one hand on Captain Moreno, Norvis lifted his disruptor and prepared to beat the freighter Captain into paste.  But before he could drop the next blow, a seizure seemed to take him.  Then he fell to his knees, dropping his disruptor.  He tried to reach behind him, grasping for... something.  Finally, he sagged and fell sideways, blood pooling around his body.

Only then was it clear that Juraan's knife had been thrust deep into the man's back.  It protruded from between two segments of the armored vac-suit, red blood seeping from the puncture.  Juraan himself could now be seen behind the fallen form, his blades having proven surprisingly effective in dispatching not one, but two of the intruders.

Thinkers' Shuttle, Trialus System

In a sudden burst, the Thinkers' shuttle entered warp.   At Warp 9.99, it accelerated out of the Trialus system more quickly than any ship here could hope to follow.

Inside, Kurros sagged into the shuttle's command chair.  At the pilot's console, Brida swiveled to regard her master.

"We're at warp, Sir," the Squari reported.  Then, after a short pause: "May I ask a question?"

Kurros nodded.  "I could use the distraction."  His head was throbbing, and it was becoming increasingly more difficult to breathe.  The Squari were gifted with an exceptional radiation resistance that Kurros did not possess.  He reached down to open a compartment within the arm-rest of his chair.

"Sir, we only had one Subspace Bridge Device, and we never attained enough understanding of it to replicate it.  You could have used it to destroy the station.  But instead, you only used it to communicate.  Why?"

Kurros withdrew a circlet, which he activated and placed onto his head.  It trilled as it worked.

"The time when merely destroying Katra would be enough to stop the Federation is sadly past.  They have Kir'Shara on the ground.  A fleet of transports ferrying refugees.  A Galaxy class starship performing escort.  A Starlifter around the Trialus star.  Too many assets.  If we destroyed Katra, it's possible that the Federation would merely rebuild."

Brida shook her head, "But... what was the purpose of using the device, then?  Of flooding our ship with radiation?  Do you believe the ambassadors will side with you against the Federation?  Or abandon the quadrant?"

"The Klingon Empire might.  Their representative seemed intrigued by our offer of improved cloaking technology.  They are aware that the Dominion sensor technology has been edging closer to being able to detect their cloaked ships at long range.  The Republic of Kahless enrages them, but the Dominion actually worries them.  They think it is only a matter of time before the Dominion returns with aspirations of conquest.  Cloned troops can be replaced quickly.  Enslaved worlds can be pushed to replace fleets of ships in a handful of years.  Their concern is well warranted.

But... no... all of these negotiations were only a bonus to my true purpose."   Kurros closed his eyes.  It would not be long, now.

"Then... why, Sir?"  Brida watched her master, hoping he might answer before the last of his life ebbed away.

"To frighten the Federation," Kurros said, "To provoke them... into action."

Kurros' face spread into a soft smile, and then his head lolled, lifeless, to one side.   A blue light flashed on the circlet.  It had completed its work.

Brida sighed, knowing she would never get a satisfactory answer to her question.

She turned back to her console.  Hopefully, they would get back to Thinkers, HQ before the body started to decay.  She was not allowed to dispose of it.  In fact, there was very little a Squari was allowed to do to a Thinker.

Even a dead one.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Finn Moreno

[On board the Wonderland]
He saw the phaser being lifted above him while he desperately tried to free himself from the grip of the intruder, who was holding him down.
But instead of being beaten to pulp, the armored suddenly keeled over himself.

Behind him Juraan came into view with Finns Klingon knife in his hand.
A brief look confirmed that none of the armoured hijackers were standing anymore.

The freighter captain let his head fall back and needed a moment to gather himself while he realized that they had just saved themselves against all odds.
Breathing hard Finn laid there, the dead raider on his legs but for the most part okay.
It took half a minute for him to calm down and process what had just happened.

Then he looked up at Juraan. "I thought you abandoned me. Thank you!" His words still came out in labored huffs from the strain.

Holding out his right arm he was sure Juraan would help him up. Soon he regretted that motion because the two falls had left him sore, especially his arm, so he winced, switched it for the other and sat up and pushed the body of the attacker off his feet. His gaze fell on the dead raider. With shaking fingers he preyed the helmet open to get a look at the creature behind the armor.

Dr. ta li yo-na

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on November 28, 2020, 06:28:28 PM

[Sickbay - Station Katra]

[As Dr. Anthony McCutheon, Daystrom Scientist]

"Soooo.... any chance I can be let loose doc, or you sending me for psyche eval or something, see I have to stay on Katra, my sister Sally is coming here with her pal Lt. Falleg's daughter Ruthie for her academy vacation, Lt. Falleg is actually bringing her back.  Awwww... man.  I told Hrafn I wouldn't get in trouble.  Am I gonna be in trouble??"  Anth asked of Dr. Yona

"I mean I suppose you confine me to quarters if you're worried about my mental health but I just flipped, she looked so like my Louise.  How was I supposed to know that a gorgeous woman like that was with well..."  He peered around the figure of Ta-Li wondering if the Nausicaan in question was also receiving treatment, he knew he probably was getting his genitals checked out.

"Well you know... Nausicaans aren't the most aesthetically pleasing specimens unless to others of their own I suppose but maybe Ms. Gorgeous knows something we don't?!  Maybe that one is fabulously rich or something!"  he shrugged.

Eyeing the Security in the corridor he looked at the doctor and pulled a face.  "I guess it's down to you doc... turn me in to Security and I might be in the Brig while Sally is here, or confine me to quarters until you set up some sessions with the station counsellor... which will mean everyone thinks I'm a complete and utter nutter, which ain't far from the truth even if we aren't talking about this episode, I mean in the fun, likes warped jokes way!, but I get to hang out with Sal when she gets here."

He had an almost pleading look in his eyes. "I mean c'mon, is the age of chivalry dead, he looked like he was pulling her along, wouldn't you want to help a woman that could be being oppressed, abused etc?! Could I appeal to Captain Solluk?  He seems a reasonable fellow."

[Katra - station sickbay]

Dr Ta Li Yo-na took a deep breath and signed loudly "right firstly" said the dr waving a finger "I will release you but I hear you step out of line just once and I get a new sparring partner" the dr gave a big Klingon grin and slapping the guy on the back "get lost and remember what I said" the dr said and turned to his console and realized something was missing  =/\="dr Ta Li Yo-na to the smallest fellag have you seen my cat" the dr asked awkwardly and looking around the sickbay at all the mess "clean up on sickbay 5" he giggled to himself

Paul Wessex

=/\= Aye, Sir.  On my way. =/\=

The response came immediately to Wessex' query, followed by another:

=/\= This is Ensign Patrice in the Promenade.  Sir, I was about to report an oddity.  I saw the Numati ambassador in the small kiosk cluster on the lower level, and was keeping an eye on him.  Well, sir, he must have activated some kind of portable holographic communicator, because a man appeared next to him, but a quick scan I conducted showed no lifesigns.  Just light, heat, and sound.  They had a brief conversation, and then the apparent hologram vanished.  Sir... I know we're not meant to eavesdrop on the ambassadors, but I happened to be running that scan I mentioned earlier.  It was just in case the man was an intruder, I promise.  I didn't know it was just a hologram, Sir.  Anyway... I got it all on my security tricorder. =/\=

Everything seemed to come in at once. Ensign Chastain arrived just as Paul was finishing up his update regarding the appearance of Kurros on the Promenade, speaking to the Numanti ambassador. Patrice seemed uncomfortable reporting their monitoring of the delegate, and Paul could somewhat understand - covering the activities of an authorised representative of another power was, to be frank, almost Cardassian in its practice. " =/\= ...so there's nothing to be apologetic for, Ensign" he finished gently, nodding to Chastain's welcome appearance. " =/\= You did great. Upload the data you collected to the Security Mainframe and I'll reach for it from here. Good work, again. Wessex out. =/\="

Closing the channel, he made a few notes on his PADD, speaking to the Diplomatic Protection lead as he did so. "Thank you for coming so quickly". Not wanting to be rude, he looked up at her, and then back to the PADD in short succession, hopefully conveying the notion that time was of the essence, and he had none to spare for general conversational niceties. "I appreciate this may conflict with your duties as diplomatic protection, and neither of us wishes to see it become just an arm of Intelligence, but current circumstances suggest a risk to Station security". He looked up to gauge her reaction, but was pleased to note fair-minded agreement. "A...representative...of a known hostile power has made itself known to us, and it would seem other envoys on this station, with methods were are unable to trace or monitor, save for the diligence of the team. So I ask you: have you, or your team, seen or heard anything during the course of the last few hours that could be construed as 'unusual approaches' or otherwise extra-typical contact?"

He finished work on the PADD, and let it hang to his side, and he redirected his attention to her. "No matter how minor - don't feel like anything can be dismissed at this time; I'll take whatever you, or your team, may have reported in. I won't make this an order, given the sensitivities, but please cascade this urgent request to the rest of the DPS and ask them to upload to the Security mainframe as quickly as their current activities permit."

As he waited on her response, Paul wondered how Kurros had known the Numanti was on the Promenade - that seemed to indicate some internal scanning capabilities or other method tracking of high-ranking personnel had occurred without any of the tactical scan alerts or counter-surveillance sensors being tripped. What else could Kurros do without impunity? His memory whispered past wisps of testimonies given during the epilogue of the 'Great Shoe Conspiracy'... could there be a network of agents or informants already operating on the station, or had Kurros merely ingrained a sense of paranoia to blindly chase smoke?

The sooner they understood the foundations of his technologies, and methodologies, the better...

Eydis

Eydis would nod and greet both Solluk and beja. Revealing hir blue crystalline entity eye. The rest of hir face was mostly the same as before.  Reaching to hir right hands wrist cuff and twisting it off. Shi places the glove on the table and reveals more of the extent of hir alteration. The hand that had touched the crystalline entity had now been almost full replaced by the crystalline entity growth to keep hir own tholian crystalline shell from falling. Opening hir four digit hand in a Vulcan greeting. The bluish crystal resembling more like human hand bones but far smoother and sleeker.

I appreciate your concern Solluk of the federation. And before anything else is discussed. The assembly also wishes to thank the federation. I'm certain you are away of the sheliak corporate. The assembly has begun to reach out to the sheliak corporate, and far more progress has been made it would seem then the federations attempt . This progress is due to the sheliak see the Tholians as equal. I do not believe we can fully get rid of the sheliaks dislike of humanoids. But the assembly will facility a more amicable relationship of course when the federation wishes to purse such. "œ

Eydis would keep hir crystalline entity hand out for the speech only after sliding it back into the glove. My current state allows me short spans of time in temperatures more agreeable to most humaniod species. The crystalline entity crystal growth is remarkable and can facility my tholian shell flexibility and compensate for lower temptures .
I most apologize for the mess caused by my arrival the k'elest. I do believe the the rightful owners of the ship are the crew of the lod'qan . . I'm willing to hear the empires claims to the vessel but I want to hear the crew of the lod'qan as well. The assembly will not take a side in a Klingon civil war. The returning of the k'elest is a utterly a matter of honor then it  is attempt at providing arms or ships to one side or the other. I believe the Klingon empire mistook what I said "œ return to its rightful owners "œ to be the empire. Now if the Klingon empire has a good enough claim to the k'elest it will be return to the empire. And the empire may use it in fact on the crew of the lod'qan. I state the assembly position to the republic, and my belief that they would be defeated in time by the empire. However I wish the republic to be present at this discussion as well . To see their claim to the ship. It is far more likely the empire will be able to restore the k'elest to active service then the republic it would seem. At this point. It is more likely the republic would have a trophy more then a functional Klingon heavy cruiser.

Eydis would pause after a few seconds ihr own native whining and squealing chirps had a much softer tone to them. More like ringing crystals or glass. Shi would look over at zex thanking her friend over the lattice.

Kirok

Quote from: Beja on November 28, 2020, 11:53:22 PM

Beja had felt guilty that there had not been a chance for her to properly congratulate Rayek and Tess on the birth of their son. With all the crazy diplomatic issues and unexpected events there had not been time, and that didn't appear to change anytime soon. She would of course stop by at the first opportunity and drop off the gift she had for them. Hopefully the Klingon and Tholian meeting would go smoothly and she could focus on her friend's joyous addition.

For now though, Beja had to make her way to conference room 7 to see what all had taken place to move the diplomatic ceremony up so many hours. All kinds of various scenarios ran through her head: had the Klingons requested it? In an attempt to keep senior Starfleet from being present? Had the Tholians requested it, because they were going to go through with their hypothetical pirate stealing the ship?

Beja didn't know but she was very anxious to discover the answers to the questions. Beja hoped that whatever had taken place, that there could still be a way to continue down the path of peace.
The possibility of war with The Thinkers was very real, they certainly didn't need to add another war with the Klingon Empire to the mix.

Beja put her confident smile on her face, as she entered the conference room and greeted the Tholians and Zex who were already present, "œHello, ambassador, I am glad to see your safe return to Katra."

Then she turned to Zex, "œEnsign, thank you for taking care of the diplomatic needs so well on Katra. Captain Solluk should be joining us shortly."

"Not a problem, Lieutenant.  Eydis has much to share with you both" Zex said.  She remained standing.  More out of respect for Eydis, who could not sit in a typical chair.

Quote from: Eydis on November 29, 2020, 10:48:01 AM

Eydis would nod and greet both Solluk and beja. Revealing hir blue crystalline entity eye. The rest of hir face was mostly the same as before.  Reaching to hir right hands wrist cuff and twisting it off. Shi places the glove on the table and reveals more of the extent of hir alteration. The hand that had touched the crystalline entity had now been almost full replaced by the crystalline entity growth to keep hir own tholian crystalline shell from falling. Opening hir four digit hand in a Vulcan greeting. The bluish crystal resembling more like human hand bones but far smoother and sleeker.

I appreciate your concern Solluk of the federation. And before anything else is discussed. The assembly also wishes to thank the federation. I'm certain you are away of the sheliak corporate. The assembly has begun to reach out to the sheliak corporate, and far more progress has been made it would seem then the federations attempt . This progress is due to the sheliak see the Tholians as equal. I do not believe we can fully get rid of the sheliaks dislike of humanoids. But the assembly will facility a more amicable relationship of course when the federation wishes to purse such. "œ

Eydis would keep hir crystalline entity hand out for the speech only after sliding it back into the glove. My current state allows me short spans of time in temperatures more agreeable to most humaniod species. The crystalline entity crystal growth is remarkable and can facility my tholian shell flexibility and compensate for lower temptures .
I most apologize for the mess caused by my arrival the k'elest. I do believe the the rightful owners of the ship are the crew of the lod'qan . . I'm willing to hear the empires claims to the vessel but I want to hear the crew of the lod'qan as well. The assembly will not take a side in a Klingon civil war. The returning of the k'elest is a utterly a matter of honor then it  is attempt at providing arms or ships to one side or the other. I believe the Klingon empire mistook what I said "œ return to its rightful owners "œ to be the empire. Now if the Klingon empire has a good enough claim to the k'elest it will be return to the empire. And the empire may use it in fact on the crew of the lod'qan. I state the assembly position to the republic, and my belief that they would be defeated in time by the empire. However I wish the republic to be present at this discussion as well . To see their claim to the ship. It is far more likely the empire will be able to restore the k'elest to active service then the republic it would seem. At this point. It is more likely the republic would have a trophy more then a functional Klingon heavy cruiser.

Eydis would pause after a few seconds ihr own native whining and squealing chirps had a much softer tone to them. More like ringing crystals or glass. Shi would look over at zex thanking her friend over the lattice.

Zex would tilt her head slightly toward Eydis.  "Eydis was also visited by a holographic presence.  The OCC was able to collect some of the readings from what I know.  Eydis stopped the conversation before it started.  So, it is not known what the man had to say" she added to what the Tholian had already said.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Beja

Beja greeted the Captain when he entered the conference room with a nod, and quietly stood by while the introductions were made between Solluk and the Tholian ambassador. She listened intently as Eydis explained the Tholians position and desire to remain neutral. Beja understood that, but worried it wouldn't be possible for any of them to actually achieve that goal.

When the Tholians recognized the legitimacy of the Republic of Kahless that may have already injured their relationship with the Klingon Empire. I fear that by not returning the vessel to the Klingon Empire that the Empire will take that to be the Tholians siding with a nation the Empire perceives to be their enemy. And a friend to their enemy, is their enemy," Beja gently explained to the Tholian Ambassador.

It was always a challenge to try and explain how the Klingon culture worked to outsiders. All that most people saw was a warrior class, which the Klingons had built their foundation on, but there were layers to that with honor and pride intertwined into their fighting abilities. Honor was prized above anything, and was an intangible idea that was worth dying and killing over.

All of them were trying to walk on a very thin wire, and at any moment they all could topple and plunge into a war. Beja hoped that the path of peace would be walked by them all, but that might be a victory that remained elusive to them.

On the topic of Kurros, I know we would be interested in anything that was discussed, although any communication conducted by diplomatic envoys is, of course, confidential."

Solluk

Katra Station - Deck 11

"Well, Sir, as you know, we provide discreet security monitoring of all diplomatic staff, not just the ambassadors themselves.  I can confirm that all embassies seem to have called in their senior aides and staff just a short time ago.  They all dropped what they were doing and returned to their embassies.  We considered it odd enough to make note of it."

It may not have been the sort of information he wanted to hear about, but it was the only thing she could report right now.

SS Wonderland

As Captain Moreno removed the helmet from his dead attacker, the face was revealed as that of an Orion male.  Orions were known to engage in a great deal of criminal activity.  Unfortunately, that meant that this intrusion could have been orchestrated by any criminal group: The Orion Syndicate, unaffiliated Orion pirates, or just random crooks who had happened to have hired an Orion.

Of course, the Captain had been warned about 'Syndicate' interest earlier on the planet by his contact.  That might mean the Orion Syndicate, but the Syndicate was no longer predominately an Orion operation... if it ever had been.  The origins of the Orion Syndicate were clouded with as much mystery as the operatives they employed.

Katra Station - Conference Room

Solluk watched with wide-eyes as the Tholian ambassador revealed hir new... features.  The mere fact that shi was able to un-glove herself in the temperatures of the room indicated that some resilience had been gained.  He thought it odd and macabre that a dead Crystalline entity had been integrated into the Tholian's body.  But then, ancient medicine had often used the bones of corpses in repairing the skeletons of living people.  Still... it was gruesome in an illogical, emotional way.

Listening to Beja, Solluk had to agree.

"Ambassador, I tend to agree with the Counselor.  Objectively, the Lod Qan was operating as a ship of the Klingon Empire at the time of its assistance to the Tholian people.  It is true that Ambassador Kol, who arranged the mission, has since defected to form a new government.  But I fear that there is little argument to be made that this ship of the Empire should go to any other place than the Empire.  If the Tholians wish to return the ship at all, it is the Empire who has the best claim of ownership.

There is, however, a potential alternative.  An alternative that would prevent either the Empire or the Republic for benefitting or being harmed by the gesture.

The Tholians could make the return of the ship a symbolic one.  You could attach small thruster drones to the ship, of the kind used to manipulate objects in a ship boneyard, or asteroids that need to be manipulated for mining.  There is enough time before the Klingon meeting to accomplish this.

Then, when you meet with the Klingons, you can tell them that you are returning the ship to the Klingon Empire, and giving it to the warriors who died so bravely in its defense.   And touch a control, to activate the drone thruster modules...

... and send the ship into the Trialus Sun.  You can declare that you are doing this so that the dead may continue commanding it as part of the Black Fleet, in service to Kahless, in Sto'vo'kor- the Klingon afterlife of the honored dead."

Solluk looked to Zex and Beja, "Would this not potentially satisfy the ephemeral needs of Klingon honor?"

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Beja

Beja listened as the Captain spoke after her. She was glad to have her own observations supported. Though as the Captain continued to speak, Beja realized that she had in some respects underestimated the Vulcan. He really had done his homework about Klingons and their culture. But not only that, he had brilliantly come up with a solution that even the Klingon Empire could not object to!

It was genius really, the Tholians would be able to continue with their neutrality and still keep the honor of both the Klingon Empire and the Republic of Kahles. She was disappointed in herself for not thinking of it herself. Though, as she had been told her entire life, she was never really considered Klingon enough. This was one of the reasons she had joined the academy and Starfleet, she had wanted to grow, learn, and develop in ways she never would have if she had stayed behind in her homeworld.

Yes, Captain, it's a brilliant solution. It will more than satisfy the Klingon's honor, and the Empire could not object to it, nor hold the Tholians in disfavor over it," Beja responded to Solluk.

If the ambassador agrees, I will be happy to coordinate with our best engineers to oversee the drone thruster deployment to the ship," Beja offered to the gathered group. She knew that Goodspeed would be able to do the job.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.