S2E3 The Shining Light of Freedom

Started by Solluk, July 02, 2018, 12:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solluk

USS Challenger, Bridge

** EXECUTIVE OFFICER'S LOG **

"Soon, we will arrive at Starbase 213 in orbit of Stenabuta Three, completing our delivery of probes.  My understanding is that the Starbase intends to use them to study the nearby T'Kris Micronebula.  This Micronebula is a scientific curiosity which is currently passing just outside the system's Heliopause.  Such Micronebula are a rarity in our Galaxy, highly energetic and nearly impenetrable to external scans, yet only 20 AU's across.

I find myself wishing that the Challenger could be involved in the project to determine its properties.    Unfortunately, I am told it will be a year-long scientific study, and the Challenger is likely to be needed elsewhere during that duration.  Our sensors have picked up a fully enclosed and sensor-protected drydock facility near the Starbase, and I suspect the Starbase administration may be in the process of modifying an experimental science vessel within its confines.  I imagine it will be laden with prototype technologies that will allow it to safely conduct a scientific survey within the formation.  I can only imagine the discoveries they are poised to make, and must confess to a degree of professional jealousy.

On a positive note for our vessel, we will finally be parting with the crew of the Denobulan transport we recently rescued.  I have not enjoyed the intrusive interviews conducted by the personnel of that ship during my meals at the Mess Hall.  Fortunately, their coverage has been mostly positive, so we seem to have survived this rescue without incurring a public relations incident.  I did notice that our new Counselor had an extensive meeting with the Denobulan Captain, and his attitudes immediately improved afterwards.  I am not sure what was discussed, but I am thankful for whatever intervention she may have managed on our behalf.  When we dock with the Starbase, we will be offloading the Denobulans along with the probes, and they will cease to be our concern.

** End Log. **

Turning his attention to the Operations Chief, Solluk ordered, "I'd like you to have your personnel place one final check on the probes before we offload them at the Starbase.  I recall we had cause to utilize some of them during the rescue, and have since conducted a refurbishment.  I shouldn't like there to be any messy fingerprints on the packaging."

Matha smirked, "Aye, Sir.  We'll make sure they're Factory Fresh."

Solluk gazed at the viewscreen, where a distant speck represented the planet Stenabuta III, around which the much tinier speck of Starbase 213 orbited.  And in a speck beside that speck, invisible to the eye but visible to sensors, was the protected drydock that had so intrigued the Vulcan.

Ah, well.   There would always be another opportunity for discovery.

"We'll be there in two minutes, Sir," Matha said, anticipating his next inquiry.   He smiled at her.  The officers and crew were finally starting to get to know him.

"Thank you, Chief," he said, "Conn, one-quarter impulse.  We might as well enjoy the view."

Slowly, the speck of Tenabuta III swelled in the viewscreen, becoming a ruddy jewel suspended in a tapestry of diamonds.  Solluk had started his career in Flight Control, and he never tired of the resplendent visuals which unfolded on approach to a port of call.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Rayek trLhoell

SCPO Rayek
[USS Challenger - Bridge - Beta shift]

Rayek glanced up from his console where he was near to finishing his letter to the Captain, and looked towards the viewscreen momentarily to take in the view.  Returning his attention to his writing Rayek reviewed what he had written so far.

Captain Torngate,

As Senior Chief it is my duty to bring forward to your attention those who have constantly shown exemplary character and diligence to duty. In that regard, I name Rhymus Cleroux.  Mr. Cleroux joined the Challenger nearly a year ago to this date.  He was my superior when I first came aboard and was very much a role-model for me in those first months.

That I have climbed the Enlisted ranks as swiftly as I have, I attribute to viewing him as my 'rival'.  We constantly pushed one another to do better, proving ourselves. Last month, while Chief Cleroux was on personal leave you presented me with the Senior Chief position, and while I acknowledge your good judgement and appreciate your trust in my abilities,  I feel that Chief Cleroux's contributions may have been overlooked or minimized due to his absence.

Currently, Chief Cleroux and I split duties so that Chief Cleroux mainly leads tactical, and I ship security.  It has been brought to my attention that it might be possible for me to recognize Chief Cleroux's outstanding contributions to the ship by offering to share Senior position with him. It is with this idea in mind that I write this letter of commendation to you Captain, in the hopes that you look again at Chief Cleroux's good work over the past year and consider a shared Senior position.

Sincerely,

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rayek tr'Lhoell

As he read through the letter, it was hard not to scowl at his well-worded lie.  That Cleroux was capable - was true enough, but that Rayek would want to share his senior position was so outrageous, that he wondered if the Captain would buy it? Did the Captain know him enough to realize that Rayek was being coerced into writing the letter?  Rayek doubted it.

Lek on the other hand would have been able to tell right away.  Given how much Rayek had complained about Cleroux to his friend in the past, there was no way the Ferengi would believe Rayek would honestly want to share anything with the Frenchman.  Good thing Rayek didn't need to convince Lek of his sincerity.

With one last check, Rayek sent off the letter to the Captain's message box, sending a hidden copy to Lieutenant Trilarck as proof of his end of the bargain then glanced to Commander Solluk.  He wondered if the Commander had talked to the Captain regarding his concerns, like he had initially wanted to.  If he had, there had yet to be any repercussions that Rayek could tell.  Maybe the Captain agreed with the counselor's assessment?  That was a discouraging thought and Rayek brushed it aside and focused his attention back to other work.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Lizzie Vaughan

CMO's Office

Lizzie was completing the final after action reports from the medical staff in regards to the Denobulans. Most were straightforward as there were minimal injuries and the treatment was ok'd and swiftly given. The one exception to this was their Captain. They had tried to check him over several times but he had refused each time. Thankfully Dylan had allowed him up to the Bridge, which saved her the problem.

She was also looking over the Counsellor's treatment files and she was impressed. Whatever the woman's personal issues, she was a good counsellor. Hopefully they could come to a good working relationship in the future.

She new they were due to arrive at a Starbase quite soon and she had requested some replacement equipment that she be brought aboard.

Finishing her last report and signing off of the rest of the paperwork, she decided to head up to the Bridge to see what was happening.

Letting the duty staff know where she was going, she headed straight up there.

Bridge

Lizzie entered the Bridge and saw Solluk in the centre chair. She went over to him.

"Commander." She nodded at the XO in greeting. "Just to let you know that when we arrive, there should be several crates of medical supplies to transport aboard. Mostly replacement tricorders and other equipment. Other than that, I am hoping that we have at least a quiet few days." She finished with a small smile.

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Dylan Torngate

[Captain's Quarters]

"...And be sure to check the inventory of supplies for the shuttle team leaving for PYX-1545, they'll need winter coats and emergency heating units..." Dylan rambled, as he haphazardly threw a pair of pants into a travel bag. He wasn't wearing a Uniform, instead adopting a more casual attire.

The yeoman next to him, however, looked slightly less enthused. She'd been listening to Dylan prattle on for three hours now on what needed to be done- things that didn't require his direct attention. To her, it seemed the Captain had gone nuts in preparation for his leave time. She couldn't wait till he was gone.

To be fair, Dylan was worried more than usual. He'd be off on Cestus III, his adoptive planet. While there, he'd be backpacking in the mountains, away from Starfleet, Communicators, Uniforms, and space. It'd be good to get planetside, and even better to disconnect from everything. Once he got there, the only way to get in touch with him would be to send a shuttle down. The Lakeview Planetary Reserve was intentionally a communicator and transporter blackout zone. It was three hundred thousand acres of pristine, untouched wilderness. Thirty people a month were allowed in the park, and rarely if ever knew where anyone else was. No backup, no safety net, just whatever a person packed in with.

It would be wonderful.

Dylan finally finished tearing through his room, and looked around. "Oh," he said, remembering, as the yeoman hid a grimace. "Be sure to check up on our medical supply levels, and have Engineering run a level one diagnostic on the transporter systems and tractor systems. I don't want anything going wrong while I'm gone..." he said, before running off with a cry to the far side of his room where he dove into a trunk and pulled out a few more supplies, dumping them on his bed, which had become the de-facto staging area for all his supplies.

For the few days before his check-in to enter the park via shuttle, he'd made plans as well. He would be visiting his Father, much to both of their displeasures, and showing up at a few Pike City Pioneers matches, sporting his team colors. 2389 Champions uniform. A good team, and a good year. He always meant to dig up his teammates contact information, but never got around to it. Most of them he figured were still planetside. Dylan was the oddball coming in, and going out.

Finally satisfied, Dylan hauled up the last thing he'd assembled, a backpack for the trip.

Dylan began sorting through the pockets, checking down supplies. Tent, food, phaser, matches, medical supplies, propane and stove, tent repair, clothing, flashlight, tricorder, water bottles, pots, pans, raingear, and everything he'd need for the days spent out in the wilderness.

[Two Hours Later]

The bag hit the floor with an thud, as Dylan beamed. He'd droned on for hours, probably boring the yeoman to tears, but he'd covered pretty much every square inch of the ship. It would be Dylan's first time away from this new ship, this new child, and Dylan was so ready to begin. He'd already made arrangements for everything else. His travel bag, with travelling clothes and baseball gear and the things he'd need to survive his father would be carried with him through the corridors to the freighter he'd inherited and had delivered to 213. The backpack would be beamed directly to the vessel. From there, two day at maximum warp to the planet, and then home free.

Dylan's PADD beeped annoyingly, his life and job calling to him, moments before he'd turned them off. He looked at it, his eye already reflecting work with disdain. He did read it carefully, however, before sending back a quick note, a generalized formula of which would be an automatic reply to any message given to him until he got back.

Chief,

I am on leave until further notice. I will give you message the proper attention it deserves at that time.

Cpt. Torngate

Dylan sighed. At least it gave him something to think about.

Shrugging on his freighter jacket, hoisting his bag on his shoulder, and grabbing the bat next to him, he exited his room, thankfully freeing the yeoman who took no time at all to find a place to disappear to, Dylan entered the turbolift.

[Bridge]

Dylan exited, sans bat. He'd had it beamed to his shuttle. He still had on his jacket and travel bag, however, and sought out the XO. He spoke, still on the upper ramp behind the centre seat.

"Well, Mister Solluk, I'm off," he said, his fake Federation accent slipping away and a much rougher, less polished accent, telling of his past, took its place. Harsher syllables, less structure of the words. Basically, the anti-british accent. "Don't break my ship. I'll be back... eventually." he said, smiling as he strode toward the front of the bridge.

"Right beauty, ain't it?" he asked, chuckling softly. "Unless you'll be needing me any further, vacation awaits," he said, taking off his commbadge, stepping toward the ready-room door, and flipping it like a coin through the now opened doorway. It landed with a soft clatter on the desk, upside down. "Fair winds and following seas, Commander."

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Solluk

Bridge - USS Challenger

The ship's Chief Medical and Second Officer came onto the bridge, and Solluk swiveled in his chair to regard her and offer a friendly smile.  Not for the first time, it occurred to him that she might as easily have been the Executive Officer of this ship.  She had the time in service, the experience, and the skills.  He would never be entirely sure why he'd gained the spot instead of her.

"Commander." She nodded at the XO in greeting. "Just to let you know that when we arrive, there should be several crates of medical supplies to transport aboard. Mostly replacement tricorders and other equipment. Other than that, I am hoping that we have at least a quiet few days." She finished with a small smile.

Although virtually anything could be replicated aboard, it was much more energy-efficient to receive supplies through logistics chains and starbases.  While ships like the Challenger had a limited supply of fuel aboard, Starbases often had virtually unlimited energy sources.   Often, bussard lifters in strato-collection stations would pull fuel up 24/7 from nearby gas giants.  In systems without gas giants, catching an ice asteroid could provide a decade's worth of water that could be broken up for hydogen.  And if there was a star, there was always solar power.  Millions of years worth.  Every ton of material replicated on-board a starship used enough energy to shorten their range by one Parsec.  But starbases weren't going anywhere.  They had nothing but time to collect power and put it to use.

"That would be a nice change of pace," he said to her, in response to her hope for quiet times.

As if to emphasize the need for peace, the Captain entered the bridge.  It was strange to see him as he was, half-gone already in his mind and attitude even as he said his farewells.  It was a reminder that the Captain was indeed just a man.  He'd once had a life outside of the fleet, and suffered longings just like all other mortal beings.  Dylan tossed his badge into his ready-room in a bombastic gesture to emphasize the start of his vacation.  It occurred to Solluk that with all the troubles they'd suffered the last few months, the Captain probably needed rest more than anyone else aboard.

"Don't worry, Sir.   She'll be here when you get back.  Though, I do have half a mind to apply latinum pinstripes to the hull in your absence.  I expect to consult with Acting Chief Lek presently on that score."   He grinned at the man, and then realized that he, too, had been enduring a weight.  It began to lift from his shoulders at the thought of the Captain's departure.

Solluk had a great deal of respect for the Captain's experience and strength, but it might be nice to make decisions without worrying what a superior might think of them immediately afterwards.  Solluk and Captain Torngate had very different ideas about how to handle various situations, and it wasn't rare for the XO to find his orders countermanded by his superior within moments of issuing them.

For just a little while, Solluk would be in command of a starship with no one else to answer to.

Of course, that also meant that if anything went wrong, it would all fall on Solluk's shoulders.  Given how many things had gone wrong for the Challenger in the recent past... Hmm.  Perhaps ultimate command was overrated.

"Stay safe, Captain," he said, "and don't tarry too long in getting back to us."

On the viewscreen, the station which had once been a nearly invisible speck loomed large.  Challenger was ready to make her final approach and docking.

"Conn, take us in.  Let's get the ship parked so that the Captain can get to his skiff."

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Solluk on July 03, 2018, 02:38:40 AM

Bridge - USS Challenger

The ship's Chief Medical and Second Officer came onto the bridge, and Solluk swiveled in his chair to regard her and offer a friendly smile.  Not for the first time, it occurred to him that she might as easily have been the Executive Officer of this ship.  She had the time in service, the experience, and the skills.  He would never be entirely sure why he'd gained the spot instead of her.

Although virtually anything could be replicated aboard, it was much more energy-efficient to receive supplies through logistics chains and starbases.  While ships like the Challenger had a limited supply of fuel aboard, Starbases often had virtually unlimited energy sources.   Often, bussard lifters in strato-collection stations would pull fuel up 24/7 from nearby gas giants.  In systems without gas giants, catching an ice asteroid could provide a decade's worth of water that could be broken up for hydogen.  And if there was a star, there was always solar power.  Millions of years worth.  Every ton of material replicated on-board a starship used enough energy to shorten their range by one Parsec.  But starbases weren't going anywhere.  They had nothing but time to collect power and put it to use.

"That would be a nice change of pace," he said to her, in response to her hope for quiet times.

As if to emphasize the need for peace, the Captain entered the bridge.  It was strange to see him as he was, half-gone already in his mind and attitude even as he said his farewells.  It was a reminder that the Captain was indeed just a man.  He'd once had a life outside of the fleet, and suffered longings just like all other mortal beings.  Dylan tossed his badge into his ready-room in a bombastic gesture to emphasize the start of his vacation.  It occurred to Solluk that with all the troubles they'd suffered the last few months, the Captain probably needed rest more than anyone else aboard.

"Don't worry, Sir.   She'll be here when you get back.  Though, I do have half a mind to apply latinum pinstripes to the hull in your absence.  I expect to consult with Acting Chief Lek presently on that score."   He grinned at the man, and then realized that he, too, had been enduring a weight.  It began to lift from his shoulders at the thought of the Captain's departure.

Solluk had a great deal of respect for the Captain's experience and strength, but it might be nice to make decisions without worrying what a superior might think of them immediately afterwards.  Solluk and Captain Torngate had very different ideas about how to handle various situations, and it wasn't rare for the XO to find his orders countermanded by his superior within moments of issuing them.

For just a little while, Solluk would be in command of a starship with no one else to answer to.

Of course, that also meant that if anything went wrong, it would all fall on Solluk's shoulders.  Given how many things had gone wrong for the Challenger in the recent past... Hmm.  Perhaps ultimate command was overrated.

"Stay safe, Captain," he said, "and don't tarry too long in getting back to us."

On the viewscreen, the station which had once been a nearly invisible speck loomed large.  Challenger was ready to make her final approach and docking.

"Conn, take us in.  Let's get the ship parked so that the Captain can get to his skiff."

Bridge

Lizzie gave Solluk a smile and nodded in response to her statement. She was about to reply herself when Dylan came out of the Ready Room and bid them farewell.

"Enjoy your trip Captain." She said to him as he departed. She hoped they would have some shore leave as a few of the crew needed it.

They had yet to receive their next orders, but she assumed they would get them any day now. Since the Captain was on leave, she would acting XO until his return. Therefore she needed to appoint a temporary replacement as CMO until that time. She had a few ideas, but wanted to run them past Solluk first. She turned back to to XO, now Captain.

"Captain." She made a point to make sure Solluk new she was addressing him. "We have a few things that need to be ironed out while Captain Torngate is on leave. Once we have docked at the station, could I have a few minutes of your time?" She asked.

In Memorium.

Solluk

Bridge - USS Challenger

"Captain." She made a point to make sure Solluk new she was addressing him. "We have a few things that need to be ironed out while Captain Torngate is on leave. Once we have docked at the station, could I have a few minutes of your time?"

Captain.  Solluk tried not to let it go to his head, but he had to admit he liked the sound of it.

His gaze lingered for just a moment on the viewscreen before he turned his full attention to the Second- no... now First, Officer.  "I think I can trust a docking procedure to be conducted in my absence.  Chief tr'Lhoell, you have the bridge until I return."

Solluk entered the Captain's Ready Room, following the path that Dylan's discarded combadge had followed a short time ago.   He paused beside the chair, hesitating to take a seat.  It felt vaguely sacrilegious.   Finally, he dismissed such notions and sat.   He gestured for the Doctor to take a seat in front of the desk, and looked towards her expectantly.

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Solluk on July 03, 2018, 10:32:42 AM

Bridge - USS Challenger

"Captain." She made a point to make sure Solluk new she was addressing him. "We have a few things that need to be ironed out while Captain Torngate is on leave. Once we have docked at the station, could I have a few minutes of your time?"

Captain.  Solluk tried not to let it go to his head, but he had to admit he liked the sound of it.

His gaze lingered for just a moment on the viewscreen before he turned his full attention to the Second- no... now First, Officer.  "I think I can trust a docking procedure to be conducted in my absence.  Chief tr'Lhoell, you have the bridge until I return."

Solluk entered the Captain's Ready Room, following the path that Dylan's discarded combadge had followed a short time ago.   He paused beside the chair, hesitating to take a seat.  It felt vaguely sacrilegious.   Finally, he dismissed such notions and sat.   He gestured for the Doctor to take a seat in front of the desk, and looked towards her expectantly.

Bridge

Lizzie followed Solluk into the ready room and, at his invitation, took a seat facing the desk.

Ready Room

Lizzie sat smoothly in the seat and began at once to raise the points that they needed to iron out.

"With Captain Torngate being on leave with an indefinite return date, there will need to be a moving around of some positions, at least on a temporary basis." She began. "With you taking over command of the Challenger, that will necessitate me stepping up to take over your duties as 1st Officer." She continued. "Since I will not be able to do that as well as my medical duties, we will need someone to take over as Chief Medical Officer. I have two candidates in mind. Lieutenant Maddox, one of the doctors on staff or Lieutenant Trilarck, the ships Counsellor. According to their files, they have almost equal length of service and seniority. I was reluctant to put Lieutenant Trilarck forward due to her recent behaviour, but I would appreciate your opinion on the subject."

She paused to let that sink in before going on the other point she needed to raise.

"The other position we need to fill is that of replacement 2nd Officer. For that I would recommend either Lieutenant Jyur or Lieutenant Lek. Mr Jyur was formerly the 1st Officer on the old Challenger before he took a leave of absence from the fleet, so he has the experience to call on. Mr Lek on the other hand, while not having been with the ship long, has showed remarkable leadership in recent months and it would be good to give him some more authority so he can stretch his legs a bit."

She paused again.

"Again these are only my initial thoughts on the matter Captain, but we should get this resolved quickly in case we are called on soon." She finished, leaning back in the chair slightly, awaiting Solluks thoughts.

In Memorium.

Solluk

USS Challenger - Ready Room

Solluk listened to the Commander as she laid out the situation regarding candidates for senior posts.

Counselor Trilarck was a conundrum.  He wasn't sure whether she was merely an ambitious and dedicated professional willing to do what was necessary regardless of how that might impact her popularity... or whether she was a manipulative individual lacking in empathy.  Her file supported both suppositions, as did his own observations of her conduct during recent weeks.  He felt that he needed to know which of those possibilities was true, and elevating her to a position of power might be the best way to determine that.  It seemed to Solluk that power tended to make people freer to reveal their true nature, for good or ill.

On the other hand, if she was of a darker bent, he'd be granting her the power she needed to unseat him as CO of the vessel, and placing her in a position to truly wreck the lives of her patients, unhindered by medical oversight.

And yet... he had trouble believing that anyone who was truly twisted could rise through the ranks of Starfleet.  It was true that several superiors had placed negative comments in her file, but such things could as easily be the result of personality conflicts as actual reflections of her character.

"I respect Maddux as a dedicated officer of reliable talent.  However, I have never noted the spark of leadership within her.  Contrarily, I do see that spark in Counselor Trilarck.  But I'm not entirely certain what sort of person the Counselor is.  I think that giving her a temporary promotion could allow us a window of insight into the proverbial landscape of her soul. For this reason, I'd like to offer her the position. I will not do so if you object, however.  I can't pretend to know the needs of the medical department better than the former Chief Medical Officer.  Whatever your own recommendation on the matter, it will be so."

He ruminated on the second matter.  "Lek has proven himself a dedicated officer willing to extend himself outside the bounds of comfort on multiple occasions, but usually as a subordinate member of a team.  In my opinion, he has been due a permanent promotion to Chief of Engineering for some time, but that promotion has never been manifest.  I think there may be some uncertainty about his leadership capabilities, and I'd like to see the matter settled.  Everyone knows Lieutenant Jyur is a leader.  I'd like to know what Lek is made of, and I'd like to get his fortitude and talent for command on the official record.  For reasons of career development, I'd like to see Lek take the role of Second Officer.  If he handles the role well, then I think there will be a stronger case for making him the permanent Chief of Engineering in the future."

Solluk steeped his fingers as he reclined in Captain Torngate's chair.  He wondered if he was taking the right angle, making choices based on criteria other than the objective data in the respective officer's personnel jackets.  Exploratory promotions were hardly an accepted practice in Starfleet.

And yet... what way was there to test the quality of steel, other than to put it in the fire?

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Solluk on July 03, 2018, 11:52:22 AM

USS Challenger - Ready Room

Solluk listened to the Commander as she laid out the situation regarding candidates for senior posts.

Counselor Trilarck was a conundrum.  He wasn't sure whether she was merely an ambitious and dedicated professional willing to do what was necessary regardless of how that might impact her popularity... or whether she was a manipulative individual lacking in empathy.  Her file supported both suppositions, as did his own observations of her conduct during recent weeks.  He felt that he needed to know which of those possibilities was true, and elevating her to a position of power might be the best way to determine that.  It seemed to Solluk that power tended to make people freer to reveal their true nature, for good or ill.

On the other hand, if she was of a darker bent, he'd be granting her the power she needed to unseat him as CO of the vessel, and placing her in a position to truly wreck the lives of her patients, unhindered by medical oversight.

And yet... he had trouble believing that anyone who was truly twisted could rise through the ranks of Starfleet.  It was true that several superiors had placed negative comments in her file, but such things could as easily be the result of personality conflicts as actual reflections of her character.

"I respect Maddux as a dedicated officer of reliable talent.  However, I have never noted the spark of leadership within her.  Contrarily, I do see that spark in Counselor Trilarck.  But I'm not entirely certain what sort of person the Counselor is.  I think that giving her a temporary promotion could allow us a window of insight into the proverbial landscape of her soul. For this reason, I'd like to offer her the position. I will not do so if you object, however.  I can't pretend to know the needs of the medical department better than the former Chief Medical Officer.  Whatever your own recommendation on the matter, it will be so."

He ruminated on the second matter.  "Lek has proven himself a dedicated officer willing to extend himself outside the bounds of comfort on multiple occasions, but usually as a subordinate member of a team.  In my opinion, he has been due a permanent promotion to Chief of Engineering for some time, but that promotion has never been manifest.  I think there may be some uncertainty about his leadership capabilities, and I'd like to see the matter settled.  Everyone knows Lieutenant Jyur is a leader.  I'd like to know what Lek is made of, and I'd like to get his fortitude and talent for command on the official record.  For reasons of career development, I'd like to see Lek take the role of Second Officer.  If he handles the role well, then I think there will be a stronger case for making him the permanent Chief of Engineering in the future."

Solluk steeped his fingers as he reclined in Captain Torngate's chair.  He wondered if he was taking the right angle, making choices based on criteria other than the objective data in the respective officer's personnel jackets.  Exploratory promotions were hardly an accepted practice in Starfleet.

And yet... what way was there to test the quality of steel, other than to put it in the fire?

Ready Room

Lizzie listened to Solluk's points and nodded in agreement.

"I understand your concerns over the Counsellors behaviour and attitude as I have similar worries myself." She replied. "I agree that placing her in temporary charge of the medical department would show us both what she is made of. If she decides to abuse the position, then there are safeguards in place that prevent her from doing so. For example she cannot relieve anyone of their duties without solid medical evidence or if she stands to benefit from the situation. In the latter case she is required to report the situation to the Sector Medical Flag Officer, whose department will review the situation and respond accordingly."

She paused before continuing.

"I also agree with allowing Mr Lek to step up. It will allow both of us to assess him in command situations and give him a taste of what might come should he progress in his career."

She paused again.

"In order to enforce the situation as temporary, I will remain in my medical teal instead of transferring to command red. Hopefully Captain Torngate will either return soon or a permanent new command structure will be put in place to make sure there are no misunderstandings. Adding to that, do you know how long we are due to be at the Starbase? Some R&R for the crew would not go amiss?" She asked.

In Memorium.

Jettis Jyur

[Bridge]

Jettis had been mutely shuffling around most of his shift, as there was nothing worthy for him to do. Eventually, he had given up on his attentive stance, to take a more relaxed one. It was a supply run, if all went to plan there would be absolutely nothing for him to do. Of course, things never went to plan, but until then he could afford playing a quick game of Tetris. Every few minutes his gaze would rise to his station, checking that no anomalies had popped up, before glancing back down. He only played a few rounds, but those few rounds were wholly enough to rejuvenate his waning energy.

With the jitters stemming from boredom settled, he set his mind to a more productive task - scrolling through scientific studies on the anomalies discovered in their last mission. With a previously uncharted area now at least somewhat able to navigate, many questions had arisen about the strange readings that had occurred. With little information on what they were, or how they functioned, Jettis had started exploring his own hypotheses in the form of an essay. Most of his free time had been taken up with research, when not spending time with Ther.

Absorbed in his research, he blocked out everything except his research, and the readings on his station. Nothing out of the ordinary so far, allowing him to fully concentrate until called upon.

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Solluk on July 03, 2018, 10:32:42 AM

Bridge - USS Challenger

SCPO Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Challenger - Bridge - beta shift]

Rayek glanced up from his console at the Commander's orders. There was just the briefest pause as he wondered why the more senior officer, Lt Jyur was not handed the responsibility.  Perhaps this was test of his abilities. "Aye, sir" Rayek acknowledged, and began a mental check of docking procedures.

The ship was already slowed to one-quarter impulse.  "Helm, make ready for docking maneuvers."

From his console Rayek opened a channel =/\= Starbase Control, this is USS Challenger, on approach. Requesting permission to dock. =/\=

A male voice responded back  =/\= Challenger is clear to dock. However you will have to go in manually as our docking tractor is down for maintenance. =/\=

Rayek's brow ridge furrowed momentarily at that news.  =/\= "Understood. =/\=

He looked about the Bridge momentarily, eyeing up Acting Ensign Alieth at Flight Control.  "Mr. Alieth, at 5 kilometers take us off impulse and guide us in using our drift momentum only.  Mr. Jyur, if you would, please assist Helm in fine steering with thrusters."

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Lek

[Engineering]

Lek sat in what should be his office in title, but was only his as a technicality and it was a constant irritant.

"Wherever Erix is, I hope he's miserable."

He grumbled as he drummed his fingers on the desk.

"Captain didn't even have the decency to give me an answer about being chief before he went on leave. That was not how I'd have done it. I'd never leave someone hanging like he did me."

He sighed and let Gianetti handle the docking. He was a good officer and coasting into a starbase was trivial task that didn't require his personal attention. He knew he was sulking, but he felt given the injuries he'd suffered in service of the Challenger, he felt he'd earned the right to be petty this once.

Alt of Ian Galloway

Jettis Jyur

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on July 03, 2018, 04:24:46 PM

He looked about the Bridge momentarily, eyeing up Acting Ensign Alieth at Flight Control.  "Mr. Alieth, at 5 kilometers take us off impulse and guide us in using our drift momentum only.  Mr. Jyur, if you would, please assist Helm in fine steering with thrusters."

[Bridge]

Jettis was so quietly absorbed in his work, he almost missed the call from the Chief. Almost. Quickly and expertly disguising his slight exasperation, he nodded quickly, struggling for a moment with how to address the officer. Below him in rank, but in charge of the bridge, he simply settled for an "aye," as he stood from his station.

Moving over to the helm, he took the secondary seat, turning to the Ensign, he nodded, waiting for his word. His experience with flying unfortunately, didn't extend to this specific class of starship, but he had sufficient time and experience under his belt, to navigate the controls with ease.
Waiting for Alieth to take the lead, he struggled to conjure up some small talk, tugging on his lower lip with his teeth. "How are you, Alieth? Adjusting to the ship well?" Glancing down at his screen, he moved to straighten out the nose of the ship, with a precision a Vulcan could admire. Careful to keep it straight as they propelled forwards, he waited on Alieth to bring them to a coasting stop.

Solluk

Ready Room - Challenger

"In order to enforce the situation as temporary, I will remain in my medical teal instead of transferring to command red. Hopefully Captain Torngate will either return soon or a permanent new command structure will be put in place to make sure there are no misunderstandings. Adding to that, do you know how long we are due to be at the Starbase? Some R&R for the crew would not go amiss?" She asked.

Solluk smiled slightly at the Commander's choice to keep her medical blues.  Lizzie was a smart woman who understood the value of symbols and the way people tended to process information.  He was glad that, should anything unusual happen while the Captain was away, he'd have astute aid to help him shepherd the ship through it.

A sensible plan," he commended, and then turned his mind to the idea of shore leave.  "No word yet on what our next assignment is, but I've decided we'll be switching to umbilicals when we dock and giving everyone a provisional 24 hours leave on the station.  I can always recall them if something urgent surfaces, but they've certainly earned a moment of relaxation away from their duty stations."

He stood up behind the desk, "I may use the time to see if I can wheedle our way into the micronebula study they're due to conduct here.   Maybe we can at least do some preliminary external scans for the project.  It is a hard business to see science done just over the horizon and not be a part of it."   While Solluk had never enjoyed a talent for the sciences, he still held the near universal admiration for exploration among officers in Starfleet.  Discovering what was 'out there' was one of the major driving factors that led people into the service.  If one didn't arrive with that sense of wonderment, they tended to pick it up- like an intellectual contagion- along the way.

"I think I'll let your first duty to the crew be to convey these personnel changes we've decided upon.  Then, once we finish switching to umbilicals, you can find some rest and relaxation yourself.  What does our life-saving medical doctor and acting Executive Officer do to unwind from the troubles of a long jaunt?"

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.