S12 - M12: When the Bough Breaks

Started by Tekin Nevir, August 06, 2018, 01:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Inzjana on August 29, 2018, 01:27:57 PM

UNKNOWN SPACE STATION

Once aboard the alien station, Inzjana switched her wearable tricorder, called a VISR, to searching for life forms. The device, of her own design, showed her everything she wanted to know via an augmented reality head-up display, leaving her hands free as she grabbed the Starfleet issue type 2 Phaser from its holster.

Surprisingly, the station looked brand new and as they moved about her corridors on their respective routes, it had all the comforts of a well stocked Starbase. There was just one thing it did lack and that was any known form of life on board, the Vulcan crew were gone, assuming they were ever here in the first place.

"Commander, at present the station seems devoid of life, despite what appearances would lead us to believe," Inzjana said grimly and just barely holding on to her control.

Just then her VISR had picked up two spikes in some form of electromagnetic energy that seemed to be emanating from the station, at least that was what her VISR was telling her any way. It was then that Inzjana had a bad thought and went sprinting back to the airlock and tried to open it without any success.

[Alien Space Station]

Ian found himself getting irritated. They'd responded to a distress call and it had turned into a bug hunt. "Why can't things go smooth? Just once I'd like ta see things go smooth." Out loud, Ian asked.

"Well, since the buggers aren't aboard their ship. They aren't here. Looks like if'n they're still alive, we are rapidly runnin' out of places fer them ta be. My money is on the planet. If they aren't there, then we are on a recovery mission and not a rescue mission. Let's see if'n we can determine who built this thing, then we head back ta the runabout."

P'Larr Santiago

« USS Discovery Deck 12  Auxilliary Engineering »

P'Larr always found the wariness associated with her position a bit unusual considering how crucial it was to have a counselor supporting the mental well-being of a crew during deep space exploration. Although her background was not in psychiatry, the parameters of her field dictated that she immerse herself in the studies of the mind as part of her training. In addition to her doctorate of jurisprudence, her specialty in interstellar law and negotiations, her exo-sociological background, and now her burgeoning prowess over the mind, she was simply a good listener.

As they wandered down the long corridor, the counselor threw him a quizzical shake of the head, "Of course I'm evaluating you, I evaluate everyone. That's my job. It's an equal playing field," she said while gesturing with both hands moving away from each other to signify a smooth level. Then ensign shrugged casually, "I have holodeck time scheduled every week for me to continue taking courses in psychiatry and psychology as part of the alternate route program I'm apart of," she responded casually.

With the doors just a few feet away, P'Larr nodded her head in agreement with his assessment that she was more of an ambassadorial or diplomatic figure than a psychologist. P'Larr was a First Contact expert, she could negotiate until she was blue in the ridges, and behavior was a part of her training as a lawyer in an earlier life but the actual study of the mind was still underway.

She stifled a chortle despite not understanding the flight ensign's need for privacy. "Earth is a very big place, ensign Adams," she said with a smirk before the doors whooshed open and the pair stepped inside a converted engineering station turn bizarre science lab with the casing of an android, "Sorry to interrupt, I just needed to use the industrial replicators and draw some specs for my new office."

When all is said and done, you'll believe God is a woman.

Inzjana

Quote from: Ian Galloway on August 29, 2018, 08:01:48 PM

[Alien Space Station]

Ian found himself getting irritated. They'd responded to a distress call and it had turned into a bug hunt. "Why can't things go smooth? Just once I'd like ta see things go smooth." Out loud, Ian asked.

"Well, since the buggers aren't aboard their ship. They aren't here. Looks like if'n they're still alive, we are rapidly runnin' out of places fer them ta be. My money is on the planet. If they aren't there, then we are on a recovery mission and not a rescue mission. Let's see if'n we can determine who built this thing, then we head back ta the runabout."

UNKNOWN SPACE STATION

As she returned to the commander from the airlock, she caught him talking to himself, but could only make out the last few words;

"Negative Commander," she said, choosing not to enquire as to the person he was not conversing with, "the airlock is inaccessible and our runabout is being drained of all energy as we speak."

Using her VISR, they made there way through the station checking several rooms as they went, just in case whatever was causing the power drain was interfering with their tricorders even though, when designing her Visual Intelligence System/Reconnaissance, Inzjana made sure to factor in that contingency in to the design.

Finally after several hallways and a rather recalcitrant turbolift, they made it to what should be the command-and-control chamber of the station, that is if it actually followed logical design, but seeing as the VISR showed that the bulk of data-nodes, optronic relays and EPS conduits terminate at this spot, it was a fair bet she was right...if not...then she wasn't. Probability was a demanding mistress, especially when this station lacked any kind of Master Systems Display.

Inzjana pressed the button and the doors whooshed open to reveal what appeared to be the actual C & C, with it's control interfaces and various terminals scattered all over the chamber in a more or less logical set up. On the right side of the chamber was a huge floor to ceiling viewing window and opposite to that was another door, locked of course. Opposite the door they had just went through was a bank of Replicators with a set of tables and chairs laid out in a cafe like style. The one thing it didn't have, was people, Vulcan or otherwise.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
DIF-TOR HEH SMUSMA

Ian Galloway

Ian sighed deeply at the report from the science officer. Internally, he felt exasperated as this was the second time critical information was relayed after it was too late to be useful. He could have blown up, but, again, what was done, was done. Getting mad now would be pointless. So, rather than allowing himself to spiral over something he couldn't do anything about, he changed mental gears to concentrating on what he could influence.

"Well, looks like we are guests here a Maison
Flytrap. Chief, Mister Schrock, see if you can rig a way to communicate with the Discovery ta inform them of our situation.

"Mister Ryder and Mister Gibbons, see if you can figure out how ta get Mister Huqma out of the runabout before he shats himself.

"Lieutenant, let's take stock of what we have
here for our survival. Water is the most crucial
requirement, food would be nice, but isn't as
essential as water."

Tekin Nevir

Quote from: Don Damien Addams on August 29, 2018, 02:14:15 PM

=/\= Addams to Bridge. That light. It was the color I saw we were in Warp. Please tell me you seen that? If not I am with the  counselor now. And maybe she can check my screws in my brain.  =/\=

[Bridge - USS Discovery]

Nevir sighed, rubbing his temples.   =/\= "Ensign, please filter those comments through your department head or highest ranking member.  Yes, we did see it.  Bridge out."  =/\=

A massive energy build-up seem to come from all over the planet, strong enough that the shields registered it as it fired into space... again into the direction of the graveyard.  This time it wasn't just an oddity, this time it felt dangerous.

"Helm get us back to the station.  I have a bad feeling of where these spikes are heading."

[Space Station?]

Something must have been triggered upon finding the COC, as the station seemed to come to life.  Too late, the away team suddenly found themselves seeing only a bright light as they were transported off the station.  Even the runabout, which had been scanned, seemed to activate its transporter and pulling out its occupants.

When their vision cleared, the first difference was that it was darker.  And dirtier.  All around them was reddish brown sandstone, hard as cement.  It appeared to be a cave network, complete with chilled air moving through.  Following the cave 2 meters from where they began, there would be bars made of an unknown alloy.

[Bridge - USS Discovery]

As soon as they were back at the station, Nevir knew something was wrong.  No one was answering their hails.  Neither at the runabout, nor the vulcan ship, nor even the space station.

"Scan for lifesigns... our team has to be there somewhere."

Don Damien Addams

Quote from: Tekin Nevir on August 30, 2018, 06:26:47 PM

[Bridge - USS Discovery]

Nevir sighed, rubbing his temples.   =/\= "Ensign, please filter those comments through your department head or highest ranking member.  Yes, we did see it.  Bridge out."  =/\=

[/quote]

Don slumped his shoulders as he let breath escape him. He tapped his combadge to  =/\=To Lieutenant Jaeger, I saw that familiar flash light when we are in warp about few minutes ago.  =/\=

The man was aggravated for feeling he made a mistake by channeling to the wrong person. Anyways was she on the bridge. Who knows she might tell the Captain and then hear it again, so it was reported three times. It was much work for something he notice before they showed up. That could be something important, but it was not.

He shrugged his shoulders again not saying nothing think, Ensign are Ensign he thought. He was one once and here he was once again on the Discovery. Last ship was his mother's. God he missed her. Those barbaric Romulans took her life and her ship away.

The Ensign had decided he had not wanted to share that to the counselor. Hell she could read his body behavior. There was nobody sticking a gun to his head to demand the answer or how he feels.

She stifled a chortle despite not understanding the flight ensign's need for privacy. "Earth is a very big place, ensign Adams," she said with a smirk before the doors whooshed open and the pair stepped inside a converted engineering station turn bizarre science lab with the casing of an android, "Sorry to interrupt, I just needed to use the industrial replicators and draw some specs for my new office."

[Engineering]

The Ensign followed her inside. His mouth drop when saw the android casing. He had to move closer to look at and adore it. The thing had made him remember his mentor. Someone who had helped him.

"Well, you are a gorgeous looking thing. You had cause trouble but seem you are with us," he talked to it. Of course he was not expecting it to reply.

Then he turned to the counselor. "Sorry, I am fascinated by androids and robots and computers. I talk to them as I am talking to you. People say it is weird. But captains talk to their ships. I talk to my own fighter once. I even talk to the P-40 in the Holodeck. You know I think you should check it out. Galloway is different man in there. And you know it is his first command on this ship. He could be possible over doing it, but won't we all do it on our first day," he smiled. "You tested him yourself. It was like two new officers testing each other off while the Captain was busy. So I think you two are in the same cage and not realize it. But give it time. You might like him and he like you."

He paused.

"You should know that. Your the counselor," he chuckled.

Kali Reyes

[Space Station?]

Something must have been triggered upon finding the COC, as the station seemed to come to life.  Too late, the away team suddenly found themselves seeing only a bright light as they were transported off the station.  Even the runabout, which had been scanned, seemed to activate its transporter and pulling out its occupants.

When their vision cleared, the first difference was that it was darker.  And dirtier.  All around them was reddish brown sandstone, hard as cement.  It appeared to be a cave network, complete with chilled air moving through.  Following the cave 2 meters from where they began, there would be bars made of an unknown alloy.

[Cave of Wonders]

First there was orders, then ribbing, and then a flash of light. What was supposed to be a random bulkhead was now stone and stand; her backrest was replaced by a set of bars. Kali stilled, as if moving would trigger something, and then pulled herself up to stand.

"Well, I can't be drunk," Kali surmised aloud. "The last time I was stuck in a cave, I was surrounded by deformed aliens forced to mine the very material that made them disfigured. I might throw up like one if that's the case again."

Ian Galloway

[Space Station?]

[Alien Cave]

Ian's expression turned to one of utter disgust and his lips drew tight enough to turn completely white. He closed his eyes and counted to 20 in four different languages before he felt in control enough to speak without exploding.

"Well, now we know where the Vulcans went. Lieutenant Inzjana, even though our location has changed, our primary task is still the same, finding water. Let's have you and Mister Ryder concentrate on that."

"Chief, please remain paired with Mister Gibbons and begin a search for the Vulcans in the direction opposite of me, Mister Huqma, and Mister Schrock. The Vulcans have to be here somewhere, let's be about finding them."

Ardyn Jaeger

[Bridge - USS Discovery]

A massive energy build-up seem to come from all over the planet, strong enough that the shields registered it as it fired into space... again into the direction of the graveyard.  This time it wasn't just an oddity, this time it felt dangerous.

"Helm get us back to the station.  I have a bad feeling of where these spikes are heading."

[Bridge]
Another flash. Curious herself, she patched in a current view of the scanners onto her console. But she couldn't stand and gawk now, as she got her orders to move the ship back to the station. "On it Captain." She said as she quickly moved the ship back into range of the station where the away team were.

Click the badge to read my bio

If history repeats itself, I am SO getting myself a dinosaur -- Oh wait, I did.
Alt of Kinley Garrison

Inzjana

Quote from: Ian Galloway on August 30, 2018, 06:20:00 PM

Ian sighed deeply at the report from the science officer. Internally, he felt exasperated as this was the second time critical information was relayed after it was too late to be useful. He could have blown up, but, again, what was done, was done. Getting mad now would be pointless. So, rather than allowing himself to spiral over something he couldn't do anything about, he changed mental gears to concentrating on what he could influence.

"Well, looks like we are guests here a Maison
Flytrap. Chief, Mister Schrock, see if you can rig a way to communicate with the Discovery ta inform them of our situation.

"Mister Ryder and Mister Gibbons, see if you can figure out how ta get Mister Huqma out of the runabout before he shats himself.

"Lieutenant, let's take stock of what we have
here for our survival. Water is the most crucial
requirement, food would be nice, but isn't as
essential as water."

UNKNOWN SPACE STATION

Inzjana 'felt' Galloway's anger even if this time he didn't express and an uncontrollable shaking came over her...She had visions of the previous Discovery Chief Science Officer, aiming his Phaser at her chest and firing. The last thing she saw and felt was the Phaser beam striking her body and the feeling of helplessness coming over her. Unconsciously, her shaking hand went to her Phaser's hand grip and rested on it, as though for comfort and security.

Inzjana could not fathom the reason why the Commander would be angry with her this time, as before, because the energy spikes had just occurred as she raced back to the runabout to try and help the trapped medical officer still on board and to ascertain the status of the runabout it self.

It was clear to Inzjana that Lieutenant Commander Ian Galloway was unfit to be the executive officer of the Discovery, after his irrational confrontation with the ship's new counsellor. Now twice with Inzjana, once outright and the second time, inward but being telepathic, Vulcans can easily sense what people are thinking, even though it is by touch that the true telepathic connection is made. Another point is that going to the Vulcan Science Vessel, which was known to be abandoned and was almost completely out of power, was an irrational thing to do. Putting the Runabout, the entire crew and the Discovery in danger. But it was the captain's choice as to who was to become first officer and Inzjana accepted that, although she would have hoped that Commander Wu would have stayed on board and accepted the post, in her honest opinion.

UNKNOWN CAVE SYSTEM

Inzjana was about to confirm the next order, regardless, when a bright light blinded her as they were transported to the cave system. Vulcans are nocturnal and therefore light sensitive. Luckily Vulcans have three sets of eyelids that fully function, the two main eyelids and the second nictating membrane, that protected their eyes from bright lights. It's also why Vulcans wear polarised contact lenses when aboard Starfleet vessels, because the lighting is always too bright for comfort.

Quote from: Ian Galloway on August 30, 2018, 11:02:42 PM

[Alien Cave]

Ian's expression turned to one of utter disgust and his lips drew tight enough to turn completely white. He closed his eyes and counted to 20 in four different languages before he felt in control enough to speak without exploding.

"Well, now we know where the Vulcans went. Lieutenant Inzjana, even though our location has changed, our primary task is still the same, finding water. Let's have you and Mister Ryder concentrate on that."

"Chief, please remain paired with Mister Gibbons and begin a search for the Vulcans in the direction opposite of me, Mister Huqma, and Mister Schrock. The Vulcans have to be here somewhere, let's be about finding them."

"Aye Commander," Inzjana said, still unable to see. "But I am currently unable to ascertain our current environment optically." A shakiness was there in her voice due to the pain in her voice, but also because of the vision of her past would be killer she had had back on the station, before the transport. And to top it all off, her security was gone. The Phaser she thought she was holding on to was no longer in its holster.

She new her eyesight would return in time, it was just going to take more time than it would for humans and other diurnal species, that was all.

Inzjana sat down on the hard sandstone floor as all of a sudden her legs felt like jelly and she was feeling more that a little dizzy, a side effect of the brilliant burst of light. To ease the pressure, Inzjana took off her VISR, folded them up and put it back in to her pocket, for now.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
DIF-TOR HEH SMUSMA

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Inzjana on August 31, 2018, 08:10:33 AM

UNKNOWN SPACE STATION

Inzjana 'felt' Galloway's anger even if this time he didn't express and an uncontrollable shaking came over her...She had visions of the previous Discovery Chief Science Officer, aiming his Phaser at her chest and firing. The last thing she saw and felt was the Phaser beam striking her body and the feeling of helplessness coming over her. Unconsciously, her shaking hand went to her Phaser's hand grip and rested on it, as though for comfort and security.

Inzjana could not fathom the reason why the Commander would be angry with her this time, as before, because the energy spikes had just occurred as she raced back to the runabout to try and help the trapped medical officer still on board and to ascertain the status of the runabout it self.

It was clear to Inzjana that Lieutenant Commander Ian Galloway was unfit to be the executive officer of the Discovery, after his irrational confrontation with the ship's new counsellor. Now twice with Inzjana, once outright and the second time, inward but being telepathic, Vulcans can easily sense what people are thinking, even though it is by touch that the true telepathic connection is made. Another point is that going to the Vulcan Science Vessel, which was known to be abandoned and was almost completely out of power, was an irrational thing to do. Putting the Runabout, the entire crew and the Discovery in danger. But it was the captain's choice as to who was to become first officer and Inzjana accepted that, although she would have hoped that Commander Wu would have stayed on board and accepted the post, in her honest opinion.

UNKNOWN CAVE SYSTEM

Inzjana was about to confirm the next order, regardless, when a bright light blinded her as they were transported to the cave system. Vulcans are nocturnal and therefore light sensitive. Luckily Vulcans have three sets of eyelids that fully function, the two main eyelids and the second nictating membrane, that protected their eyes from bright lights. It's also why Vulcans wear polarised contact lenses when aboard Starfleet vessels, because the lighting is always too bright for comfort.

"Aye Commander," Inzjana said, still unable to see. "But I am currently unable to ascertain our current environment optically." A shakiness was there in her voice due to the pain in her voice, but also because of the vision of her past would be killer she had had back on the station, before the transport. And to top it all off, her security was gone. The Phaser she thought she was holding on to was no longer in its holster.

She new her eyesight would return in time, it was just going to take more time than it would for humans and other diurnal species, that was all.

Inzjana sat down on the hard sandstone floor as all of a sudden her legs felt like jelly and she was feeling more that a little dizzy, a side effect of the brilliant burst of light. To ease the pressure, Inzjana took off her VISR, folded them up and put it back in to her pocket, for now.

[Alien Cave]

On hearing Inzjana's situation, Ian knelt next her. He didn't touch her as he knew the Vulcan preference to avoid physical contact with others, especially non-Vulcans. He spoke calmly as he issued new orders.

"Gibbons, see ta the lieutenant. Myself and Mister Schrock will try and locate a water supply. Chief and Mister Huqma, see if'n you can locate the Vulcans. If they have a medic, bring them here immediately. Mister Ryder will stand watch here. Since we no longer have communications, stay on your toes. Let's move."

As Ian stood, his expression was grim, but confident. Knowing how important it was to provide a non-anxious presence was to maintaining morale, he then picked a direction and moved off with a steady stride.

Kali Reyes

Quote from: Ian Galloway on August 31, 2018, 10:14:30 PM

[Alien Cave]

On hearing Inzjana's situation, Ian knelt next her. He didn't touch her as he knew the Vulcan preference to avoid physical contact with others, especially non-Vulcans. He spoke calmly as he issued new orders.

"Gibbons, see ta the lieutenant. Myself and Mister Schrock will try and locate a water supply. Chief and Mister Huqma, see if'n you can locate the Vulcans. If they have a medic, bring them here immediately. Mister Ryder will stand watch here. Since we no longer have communications, stay on your toes. Let's move."

As Ian stood, his expression was grim, but confident. Knowing how important it was to provide a non-anxious presence was to maintaining morale, he then picked a direction and moved off with a steady stride.

[Cave of Wonders]

The orders got reshuffled again. Gibbons literally pivoted away from Kali's side so he could tend to Inzjana's and Huqma wasn't all too thrilled to be saddled in her presence again. Kali watched this command unfold with an uncharacteristically sharp eye. She really hoped Galloway didn't try to shuffle them a second time; Gibbons already looked concerned by the misfiring of his duties. And a commander that waffled every half minute made for a problematic away team.

Well, it wasn't her problem. Her real problem is that instead of Inzjana, who would be better suited with her fellow Vulcans, it was Kali who had to go on the hunt for them.

"Problem?" Huqma asked her. The hopelessness of their abduction seemed to calm the nurse more than death by radiation rays.

"Hm," she simply said, turning on her heel for one of the corridors. "Just wondering if I should practice my Vulcan salute." Ryder should have come with them; going further into an unknown cave without proper security was more dangerous than holding point. Maybe that was Galloway's master plan - to get her killed and write it off as an accident! That bastard!

The Edosian quickly followed, unaware of the growing irritation that was building in his Chief. "Well someone has to. I don't have the proper appendages for it!"

Inzjana

Quote from: Ian Galloway on August 31, 2018, 10:14:30 PM

[Alien Cave]

UNKNOWN CAVE SYSTEM

Inzjana was using a quick meditative healing technique, as Galloway gave his orders and when the medic Gibbons came over to her, she opened her blurry eyes at the sound of foot falls. Blurry! That was an improvement.

Inzjana was about to say 'do not concern yourself, I have no need for you medicinal remedies', but before she knew it, he had sprayed a cooling refreshing liquid, apply called Refresh in to her eyes which started to slowly return to normal. Being a nocturnal species had its set-back sometimes she thought standing. Her quick mediation had also helped her regain control, so she put her VISR back on and set it for thermographic mode. The cave was now suddenly alive with reds, oranges, yellows, greens and blues.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
DIF-TOR HEH SMUSMA

Tekin Nevir

(Need to wrap this up!)

[Cave System]

While there were no other lifesigns in the cave, there was organic residue.  And that residue registered as Vulcan.  The vulcans were here... just not anymore.  And no one could say why.

Amid the colors that the VISR picked up was a hidden room a few meters away, one that was being protected by a highly advanced forcefield.  As Kali unknowingly near it, the cover vanished, showing a medical room.  And blood.... streaks of blood.  Green blood.

A single voice came over the comm from within that room, with a voice strangely familiar to Kali, but difficult to place:

"Ah... welcome.  You're right on time...."

[Bridge]

Back on the Discovery, scans showed the shuttle draining of power, only stopping when it reached 10%.  There were absolutely no lifesigns aboard either the shuttle or the station.  It was as if the entire away team just... vanished.

"That... that's impossible." the Captain said, just as the station shot a tractor-like beam at the ship.  Shields were drained immediately, and weapons were knocked offline.  Luckily, the main power didn't seem to be affected.... yet.

From behind him on the ops station, a crewman called out.  "Captain... we are being hailed.  Can't tell from where."

"On screen."

The face that showed turned his blood cold.  It was a face that some on the bridge would remember... back from the days of the Akira-class Discovery-B.  She could have been beautiful anywhere, but her demeanor gave the eerie impression of being a black widow.  She was once a Federation scientist... assigned to an observation platform looking at a pre-warp race.  A race she systematically wiped out in front of him. The pieces of why were starting to fall into place.  Why was the Vulcan ship abandoned?  Why was the station abandoned?  What happened to the away team.  This was all planned... by her.

"Hello Commander.... or should I say Captain?  Its been a while, hasn't it?"

TO BE CONTINUED...

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.