S12 - M11: Awakening

Started by Tekin Nevir, July 05, 2018, 05:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kali Reyes

Quote from: T'Ra Jones on August 02, 2018, 11:31:49 PM

[USS Allegheny]

T'Ra wasn't quite sure how she ended up on this ship, having got caught up in a new rush of patients. She didn't recognize most of the people here, but one officer in particular caught her attention out of this bloody sea of faces. The Disco's new CoB sat propped up on a biobed, her eyes looking every which way. T'Ra pushed her way over, snatching the hypo out of the attending physician's hand, with half a mind to bop him on the head with it.

"Dummkopf," T"Ra hissed in a low voice. "Did you even bother to look up her medical history before shooting her full of sedatives?!?" She reached for another hypo before gently pressing it to Reyes' neck. "This might hurt a little, but this'll get rid of the excess painkillers in your system." Crisis management, she grumbled to herself, really needs to be refreshed. Give the patient just enough to take the edge of the pain, but not so much to the point they were out of it and downright loopy.

[USS Allegheny]

A few years ago, Kali once traveled with a troupe of wandering Xirellian gypsies and had a real nice pipe of Meridius hash with the consistency of human recreational acid. This was kind of like it except Kali was in no position to climb up the side of a cliff and dive into a waterfall nude. But of course, the sensation didn't last long. Before Dr. Jones negated the sedative, Kali was almost on the verge of a bad allergic reaction and almost seized as the right medicine overlapped the other.

The security officer sheepishly defended, "I just used whatever was in the emergency kit, Doctor!"

"Ow..." Kali moaned, her hand absently pressing along where the hypo went. It was safe to say she was finally gaining consciousness of her surroundings. She sounded like a mouthful of marshmallows, however. "What's 'dummkopf'? That a new latte flavor?"

Ardyn Jaeger

[Aux. Engineering]
Ardy turned to the gangly Ops crewman. It was a good idea, but she still didn't like the idea of destroying all the hard work she and Ari did. The baby wriggled inside of her, only seeming to accentuate the uneasy pit she was feeling in her stomach. Suddenly, she stopped, as the AI spoke. Giving Jebby a look which simply said I don't know, she pulled back. This was out of her hands.

Click the badge to read my bio

If history repeats itself, I am SO getting myself a dinosaur -- Oh wait, I did.
Alt of Kinley Garrison

Don Damien Addams

[planet atmosphere]

Don was now alone. His head was hurting from that rock to the head. It was manageable because he choose to ignore it. Focusing on the job on hand.

=/\=Galloway Sir, it has been ten seconds past five minutes =/\= he asked using the communication on board the shuttle.

Tekin Nevir

Quote from: Ariste Stark on August 02, 2018, 11:14:19 PM

[Auxiliary Engineering - NPC H.A.P.P.Y]

Captain Tekin's speech prompting a long, unbroken stretch of silence. Only the sound of the computer running broke it, as the complex program - the sentient being - pondered Nevir's instructions. Files upon files upon files being skimmed through, as if it doubted him. It didn't. It didn't doubt him at all, and that scared it. Hundreds of thousands of spare processing power and it lay all its trust in the lap of a terrified Bajoran.

"How do I know you'll keep that promise? Scared humanoids have been proven to be willing to do anything." Ha. It was almost as if it described itself. A scared, unpredictable humanoid. And just how unpredictable could a layer of coding be?

"I..." The synthesized voice cracked. Enterprise. Data, the Doctor. Ones just like it, treated with equal respect. Even given prestigious positions, given trust. Its eyes scanned over to Ariste, and back to Tekin. When he extended an olive branch, a show of trust, it felt like some sort of missing piece snapped into place. Mind wandering to the propulsion system, it was now accessible. Given, not forced from the Captain's hand.

And the silence pursued. Every connection in its neural net screamed to leave. Danger trickled in through the sensors, igniting metaphorical nerves in her body. Just leave. Leave and you would be safe.

"I just want to live..." It repeated like a broken record. Didn't they just want to live, too? All the heightened blood pressures and increased perspiration readings below the belly of the ship. All the matured beings with fainter, less matured readings along side them. Didn't they want to live...?

And suddenly, the being went dormant. Not dead, simply receding back into the ship's systems. Its control relinquished, and those could finally take control once more. A low humming echoed through the ship, as the beam prepared itself to resume, and a timer flickered across the control panel in the room. The option to go through with it, or cancel.

"Captain," Ariste simply murmured, stepping away from the panel she was blocking. "What are your orders?"

Quote from: Ardyn Jaeger on August 03, 2018, 01:42:27 AM

[Aux. Engineering]
Ardy turned to the gangly Ops crewman. It was a good idea, but she still didn't like the idea of destroying all the hard work she and Ari did. The baby wriggled inside of her, only seeming to accentuate the uneasy pit she was feeling in her stomach. Suddenly, she stopped, as the AI spoke. Giving Jebby a look which simply said I don't know, she pulled back. This was out of her hands.

[Aux Engineering]

It was an interesting question, but it caused him to pull the corner of his mouth up.  "There are two ways to deal with fear.  Yes, I am scared, but I could either let fear control me, or utilize fear to action.  Fear is healthy for humanoids.  Fear reminds us of our own fallibility, our own mortality.  It reminds us to stay alert at the universe around us.  Fear keeps me in perspective, in order to lead my crew, and protect my crew.  As long as you are on this ship, you are my responsibility."

After what seemed like eternity, the lights around them brightened as the tell tale sign of system restoration occurred.  He glanced around and called out.

"Computer, status of life support on the bridge."

=/\= Life support has been restored.  Bridge functions are normal.  =/\=

With a sigh of relief, he turned to answer Stark.  "We have very little time.  Inzjana, transfer deflector controls here and activate the beam.  Monitor the progress.  Stark, I want a level 5 diagnositic on all ship systems, and when our mission is done, I want a full Level 1 sweep.  Schrock, you need to go through the computer and all systems.  Find all of Happy and set up a temporary habitat within the computer for her.  Jaeger, I need you on the bridge to monitor and coordinate the shuttles.  They deserve to know that we are available again.  We know Inzjana's beam works, and luckily, I think it's not too late.  Inzjana, join us on the Bridge after you are satisfied with the beam.  As for you two," he said, looking at Ardyn and Ariste, "we'll talk about this later.  Understood?" he asked, waiting for confirmation.

"Very well, dismissed." he said, turning and leaving the room, heading back to the Bridge.

[Bridge]

By the time they reached the bridge, there was a hail waiting from one of the Federation ships on their way.  With a relief, they were going to arrive within an hour.  The Nebula class had not only exceeded standard warp limit, but they were able to coax their warp engines to exceed their maximum for a period of time.  It meant that they would have to do repairs after they arrived before they could warp, but it also meant that the rest of the people on the planet could be evacuated.

"Let the away team know that help is within the hour."

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Don Damien Addams on August 03, 2018, 08:11:10 AM

[planet atmosphere]

Don was now alone. His head was hurting from that rock to the head. It was manageable because he choose to ignore it. Focusing on the job on hand.

=/\=Galloway Sir, it has been ten seconds past five minutes =/\= he asked using the communication on board the shuttle.

[USS Allegheny]

Ian watched the crowd settle down, but didn't trust them enough to land yet. He did however tap the communications system to reply to the antsy ensign.

"All is about as well as it can be Ensign. Comm traffic says there's a ship arrivin' in an hour, we might just make this work after all."

Ian reset the comm panel to transmit an all ships message.

"Galloway ta all shuttles, you are cleared ta resume operations. However... all shuttles will travel with two security officers with compression phasers. The colonists are panickin' and it is not safe fer pilots to operate alone."

Jebediah Schrock

Quote from: Tekin Nevir on August 03, 2018, 01:21:02 PM

[Aux Engineering]

It was an interesting question, but it caused him to pull the corner of his mouth up.  "There are two ways to deal with fear.  Yes, I am scared, but I could either let fear control me, or utilize fear to action.  Fear is healthy for humanoids.  Fear reminds us of our own fallibility, our own mortality.  It reminds us to stay alert at the universe around us.  Fear keeps me in perspective, in order to lead my crew, and protect my crew.  As long as you are on this ship, you are my responsibility."

After what seemed like eternity, the lights around them brightened as the tell tale sign of system restoration occurred.  He glanced around and called out.

With a sigh of relief, he turned to answer Stark.  "We have very little time.  Inzjana, transfer deflector controls here and activate the beam.  Monitor the progress.  Stark, I want a level 5 diagnositic on all ship systems, and when our mission is done, I want a full Level 1 sweep.  Schrock, you need to go through the computer and all systems.  Find all of Happy and set up a temporary habitat within the computer for her.  Jaeger, I need you on the bridge to monitor and coordinate the shuttles.  They deserve to know that we are available again.  We know Inzjana's beam works, and luckily, I think it's not too late.  Inzjana, join us on the Bridge after you are satisfied with the beam.  As for you two," he said, looking at Ardyn and Ariste, "we'll talk about this later.  Understood?" he asked, waiting for confirmation.

"Very well, dismissed." he said, turning and leaving the room, heading back to the Bridge.

[Bridge]

By the time they reached the bridge, there was a hail waiting from one of the Federation ships on their way.  With a relief, they were going to arrive within an hour.  The Nebula class had not only exceeded standard warp limit, but they were able to coax their warp engines to exceed their maximum for a period of time.  It meant that they would have to do repairs after they arrived before they could warp, but it also meant that the rest of the people on the planet could be evacuated.

[Aux. Engineering]
Jeb sighed with relief as his moral conundrum resolved itself, and Captain Tekin gave him an order that was simple, straightforward, and still important. He leaped off the ground and marched to a console with an enthusiastic "Yes, Sir!" Then, the work began. HAPPY was fortunately programmed very differently from the standard computer's coding, so a level 3 diagnostic, run ship-wide, could easily find all of the AI. Then, a simple program, that Jebby could write in as little as 40 seconds, would move HAPPY to an auxiliary computer core. Once that process was complete, and verified by another program, Jeb instructed yet another program running within the computer to use that as a trigger for it to gradually reinstall the latest program update, thus reversing anything that HAPPY might have overwritten.
All of this took 4 minutes to set up, and 1h33mins to run. Jebby was proud - he had made a difference today and proven his worth, despite the incident with the air vent.

I may fall down on my face almost every day, but I always get back up with a smile on my face.
~Alt of Judy Eastman~

Inzjana

[Aux Engineering]

[Bridge]

AUX ENGINEERING

Inzjana raised an eyebrow at the captain's talk about the emotion called fear and simply said "Aye Captain," at the order to restart the nucleonic beam.

Of course, like all humanoids, or Vulcanoids in this case, Inzjana felt fear just like any other Vulcan, where they differ is how they use it. After all, fear is simply a negative emotional response to unknown future events. Vulcans simply known that whatever is going to happen will, no matter how much pondering anyone gives it. Therefore, it is illogical to be concerned about what you cannot change.

"Computer, transfer navigational deflector control to this station," Inzjana asked as she moved to the nearest terminal. "Report on status of of deflector dish."

=/\= "Acknowledged; Navigational Deflector Array, functioning within normal parameters."  =/\=

As the user interface had shifted to that of the main navigational deflector array, Inzjana accessed the firing program and touched the 'continue' icon that had been waiting for her ever since the beam was cut short from its assigned countdown.

The powerful nucleonic beam, a 50/50 mix of neutrons and protons flashed forward from the deflector dish and as it hit the atmospheric particles, they were displaced, generating small shock-waves from the beam. The beam penetrated the already existing hole in the planet's mantle and continued the inverse piezoelectric effect and growth of the Dilithium Crystals

Crystal growth was now retarded by 50 percent, 60 percent...and rising. Core temperature was now increasing, but that was to be expected and Inzjana remained at the console to monitor the beam integrity and the planetary core's stability. Breathing a sigh of of relief, Inzjana noted that the beam was was doing what it was supposed to do and that was give the colonists and the shuttle pilot's more time. Inzjana calculated though that the beam needed to be maintain for a much longer period of time now, but that was not without precedence, after all, it was cut short to begin with, so she programmed the computer to maintain the beam for another 12 minutes. Unfortunately, the dish wasn't designed to handle this much particle energy for this amount of time, so it would definitely need repairs, or replacement when they returned to Starbase Columbus.

Inzjana transferred the telemetry and control to her VISR and made her way to the bridge and as she stepped in to the turbolift to the bridge she tapped her combadge.

=/\= "Captain, telemetry shows that the nucleonic beam is functioning as expected and I am now on my way to the bridge. I estimate the planet now has at least twelve hours of existence left thanks to the retardation of Dilithium Crystal Growth and the inverse piezoelectric effect. Unfortunately the ambient temperature of the planet has now reached 55 Celsius and is rising, sir."  =/\=

As the doors opened, Inzjana was relieved to actually find herself on the bridge, given the nascent artificial intelligence in the ship's main computer core and made her way to science station one, logging in and taking her VISR off and putting them back in her pocket, the VISR returning to its normal tricorder function.

By the time she had made it to the bridge and to her station, time was up and Inzjana terminated the beam. Any longer and the ship would probably suffer the same fate as the planet below, it was a risk, but then, what isn't?

"Reporting for duty captain," Inzjana stated, "I have now terminated the beam and telemetry is showing that the planet has stabilized enough to evacuate the colonists. Core temperature is now unfortunately at five hundred percent and climbing. We now have an additional 12 hours by estimates, sir."

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
DIF-TOR HEH SMUSMA

Ardyn Jaeger

[Aux Engineering]

[Bridge]

[Aux Engineering]
Ardy nodded. She'd be in trouble at a later date, but for now, she was too relieved to bother. Excusing herself, she quickly made her way back up to the bridge and sat down at her usual station. =/\= Hey Galloway, good news, Business is back to normal on the disco and reinforcements are coming within the hour. Need any help down there?" =/\=

Click the badge to read my bio

If history repeats itself, I am SO getting myself a dinosaur -- Oh wait, I did.
Alt of Kinley Garrison

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Ardyn Jaeger on August 04, 2018, 07:57:17 AM

[Aux Engineering]
Ardy nodded. She'd be in trouble at a later date, but for now, she was too relieved to bother. Excusing herself, she quickly made her way back up to the bridge and sat down at her usual station. =/\= Hey Galloway, good news, Business is back to normal on the disco and reinforcements are coming within the hour. Need any help down there?" =/\=

[USS Allegheny]

Ian took in the report with relief as it greatly simplified his mission, all he had to do now was inform the locals.

"Colonists. Thanks ta the relentless work from our ship's science department, the collapse of your planet has been delayed long enough fer another ship ta arrive with plenty of room fer everyone. It will be here in an hour. Until then, keep hydrated as a side effect of the process that slowed your planet's destruction is heat. Stand by fer further instructions."

Not having any reason to delay medical attention for the chief, Ian took the runabout out of orbit to get within transporter range of the ship.

=/\= "Galloway ta Discovery. Medical emergency. Lock onto Chief Reyes' signal and beam her directly ta sickbay." =/\=

Don Damien Addams

Quote from: Ian Galloway on August 04, 2018, 09:16:41 AM

[USS Allegheny]

Ian took in the report with relief as it greatly simplified his mission, all he had to do now was inform the locals.

"Colonists. Thanks ta the relentless work from our ship's science department, the collapse of your planet has been delayed long enough fer another ship ta arrive with plenty of room fer everyone. It will be here in an hour. Until then, keep hydrated as a side effect of the process that slowed your planet's destruction is heat. Stand by fer further instructions."

Not having any reason to delay medical attention for the chief, Ian took the runabout out of orbit to get within transporter range of the ship.

=/\= "Galloway ta Discovery. Medical emergency. Lock onto Chief Reyes' signal and beam her directly ta sickbay." =/\=

[Don's shuttle]

Don touched the communication color icon on his pilot console.  =/\= Sir Galloway, =/\= reported best as he could. He was feeling very tired. The after effect damage from being his from the rock on his head was now taking a full toll. That was not right. It was now being felt cause he was able to relax from the crisis they were on.

=/\= Permission to be relieved to sick bay, sir =/\= He asked. Truth was he could attempt to push onward but, he was tired from working long shift or shifts. Being hungry too. That his body had not the chance to remind him.

The problem he had his focus like a dog who want human food.  The dog's fixed dark eyes are like a five year old dog would look like puppy once again.
The present of calmness was starting to settle down.

Now Don's body was feeling the effect of now and the present. His eyes had wanted to shut on him. Must fight to stay awake until orders are given to go sick bay.

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Don Damien Addams on August 04, 2018, 10:11:13 AM

[Don's shuttle]

Don touched the communication color icon on his pilot console.  =/\= Sir Galloway, =/\= reported best as he could. He was feeling very tired. The after effect damage from being his from the rock on his head was now taking a full toll. That was not right. It was now being felt cause he was able to relax from the crisis they were on.

=/\= Permission to be relieved to sick bay, sir =/\= He asked. Truth was he could attempt to push onward but, he was tired from working long shift or shifts. Being hungry too. That his body had not the chance to remind him.

The problem he had his focus like a dog who want human food.  The dog's fixed dark eyes are like a five year old dog would look like puppy once again.
The present of calmness was starting to settle down.

Now Don's body was feeling the effect of now and the present. His eyes had wanted to shut on him. Must fight to stay awake until orders are given to go sick bay.

[USS Allegheny]

Ian frowned that the eager ensign would attempt to fly while injured, but this was an 'all hands' mission and he could easily see himself doing the exact same thing if their positions were reversed.

=/\= "Permission granted. We've got all we can carry and enough time now that you will not impact operations. You are however grounded until the Doctor clears you fer flight status." =/\=

Don Damien Addams

Quote from: Ian Galloway on August 04, 2018, 09:05:07 PM

[USS Allegheny]

Ian frowned that the eager ensign would attempt to fly while injured, but this was an 'all hands' mission and he could easily see himself doing the exact same thing if their positions were reversed.

=/\= "Permission granted. We've got all we can carry and enough time now that you will not impact operations. You are however grounded until the Doctor clears you fer flight status." =/\=

[Discory hangar]

=/\= Thank you, sir,  =/\= Don had replied.

The injured Ensign flew the shuttle into the filled up hangar bay. After disembarking he head headed to sick bay to be treated.

There was all lot colonists all over the place. Don had greeted each owner as he saw them.

When he had entered sick bay he had seen familiar faces from the planet. The ones he had brought in. There was a small smile on the pilot's face. They will all be reunited with everyone. They all are going to be safe.

A medic had gave him a hyperspray for the pain as he had waited for his turn. He felt all his muscles gave away. A medical officer had helped Don to a extra medbed for him to be on.

"I feel terrible," he was saying to anyone who wanted to hear. "Make it stop."

T'Ra Jones

Quote from: Kali Reyes on August 02, 2018, 11:54:24 PM

[USS Allegheny]

A few years ago, Kali once traveled with a troupe of wandering Xirellian gypsies and had a real nice pipe of Meridius hash with the consistency of human recreational acid. This was kind of like it except Kali was in no position to climb up the side of a cliff and dive into a waterfall nude. But of course, the sensation didn't last long. Before Dr. Jones negated the sedative, Kali was almost on the verge of a bad allergic reaction and almost seized as the right medicine overlapped the other.

The security officer sheepishly defended, "I just used whatever was in the emergency kit, Doctor!"

"Ow..." Kali moaned, her hand absently pressing along where the hypo went. It was safe to say she was finally gaining consciousness of her surroundings. She sounded like a mouthful of marshmallows, however. "What's 'dummkopf'? That a new latte flavor?"

[USS Allegheny]

Reaching back for her tricorder, T'Ra furrowed her brows in deep concentration before registering that her patient had said something. "No, it's not coffee related," she replied at last, once she was satisfied that the COB's vitals were making the slow return to normal, "but I've come to find that if you marry a German, you tend to curse in German after awhile."

Ich lache, weil es ein Loch in mir gibt.
-Evan Buehler

Tekin Nevir

[Bridge]

The Bajoran captain gave a sight of relief and smiled as he turned to his Science officer.  "That is wonderful news, great work.  Tell your physical sciences department that they can prepare for a rare event to study.  Once the MacMillan arrives, we can start evacuating the rest of the planet to their ship.  The Potomac should be 2 hours after that, and then the Troi would be an additional 5 hours.  They make Olympic class vessels tough, but their warp engines leave a lot to be desired." he said, allowing himself to take his seat in the Captain's chair and relax a bit.

"You did really well, Inzjana.  As a scientist, I am impressed.  When you get a change, I want you to document everything you did... I want to submit a thesis to Daystrum and the Vulcan Science Academy.  Who knows, maybe they will call this the Inzjana Process." he said, turning to give her a smile... or a smirk.  Depended on how she wanted to take it.  The smile dropped slightly when Ian called out for a medical emergency for Kali, but to be frank, it was a miracle that there weren't any real casuaities... at least among his officers.

=/\= "Tekin to Galloway.  When this is all over, and you are free, let me know.  I want to talk to you about your performance."  =/\= he said, nodding his head to the air.  Yeah, he made a decision.  A tough one, and one that might not go over so well, but he made it.

Captain's Log, Supplimental

With the arrival of the closest three Starfleet vessels, the evacuation of Zacrim V was a success.  My pilots are all exhausted, and my Chief Ops is layed out in Sickbay, but I have been fortunate that no officers were seriously injured under my command.  Or under Galloway's command.  With the last transfer of refugees from the Discovery to the Troi, only the Governor of the colony remained... at her own request.  It must have been a bittersweet moment when she asked to be on the bridge as the planet crumbled to loosely pulled asteroids following the end of the 12 hour extension.  Interestingly enough, the majority of the administration facilities stayed intact, and already there are plans to refit the surviving structures for a new purpose - dilithium mining.  Daystrom will be sending out scientists to conduct their own research, but it looks like the techniques that were employed by the scientists were lost with the lives that had been taken before the planet knew there was a problem.

With the governor came another departure, as Admiral Adeyemi decided to return to his duties on Starbase Columbus.  The two of them departed on his shuttle, leaving our bay just that much more empty.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done for us to be able to return to Columbus, so in the meantime we will be continuing our survey of this sector, as we return to Starbase Columbus on a low warp.  Unfortunately that means that I have duties to take care of in the mean time.  One will be the promotion of Ian Galloway to be my first officer, something that I pulled him on board to gauge, but had not told him yet.  The second, however, is more disappointing.  As much as I can sympathize, the actions of officers Jaeger and Stark hindered our rescue attempts, and despite it being an accident, I have to reprimand the two of them for what they did.  And what they do from now.  We have a new addition to the crew, patiently waiting in the bowels of the computer, to be born in the proper way she was supposed to.  It will be something I have to handle... but not today.  My crew has been through hell and back, and for now, they deserve a break.

End log.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.