Author Topic: S3 - M2 The Butterfly Effect Pt. II  (Read 25413 times)

Offline Hrafn Falleg

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Yes, The spots go ALL the way down!
  • Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Three year award Awarded to players who are always online and posting.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S3 - M2 The Butterfly Effect Pt. II
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2021, 11:32:53 am »
[USS Healy - Bridge - DAY THREE]

Hrafn caught Rayek's grimace and sent a quick message to those working on the torpedo to see if they could speed it up any.

It was then she saw the beam of light, and she heard Solluk's words in his message to ships '...around the Bajoran Wormhole...'

A ping on her console was a reply from the torpedo recalibration team.

"Commander, not that I think it's any use now but torpedo is ready for you..." she said with a sob in her voice.  She was thinking about everything and all those around the Wormhole and prayed to the Prophets, to keep the Entities safe.  If anyone heard her on the Bridge she would seem like she was muttering to herself in Bajoran.

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2021, 06:46:20 pm »

[Katra Station - Deck 22 - CMO's office] - DAY THREE, gamma shift, around 2400 hours

Zex nodded.  "Mum's the word" she replied.  She even removed her lattis device so there was no way she could accidently relay any information to Eydis.  "I ready" she added reassuringly. 

Zex too was struck by that fact the one of the Dord had an active virus.   And had attempted to keep it a secret from the Katra staff.  But questions started to form in that pretty little head of hers.

"When I checked yesterday I did not see anything new, otherwise I would have reported it to you.  I know that Beja has been with the Etrosians, but I didn't see a report from her yet" she said.

"I will be happy to accompany you.  But, it may do us good to check in with Beja to see what she learned from the Etrosians first.  And I am on good terms with the Numati.  They have known the Dord the longest.  Perhaps they would know if he Dord are known to carry any deadly diseases.  If we have time, maybe we should meet with them before meeting the Dord" the Deltan suggested.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Eydis

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2021, 09:03:42 pm »
Eydis paused for a second feeling zex disappear across the lattice, shi would be curious but understood humanoids were not tholian and might desire time away from the lattice.

As long as we need to talk would be the flight for the Etain. It would seem the federation has no end to enemies who want to wipe out the station. It would almost be safer on the planets surface. And I suspect another incident has occurred with the departure of the federation ship and so many core command personnel.

That being said it is a relationship that does not involve the federation. Or one that would likely be approved by the federation. Yet to make sure both of our species survive we must forge relationships with others,  regardless of the federation. Who it would seem is always on the brink of losing it all.

I’m sure the director will give me further instructions before the maiden flight of the Etain. I thank you both for joining me on the assembly’s newest ship. May this be the start of mutual beneficial relationship.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded every January by the FCO.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2021, 05:01:54 am »
Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Healy - Deck 1 - Bridge]  (near the Subspace conduit) [DAY THREE]

[USS Healy - Bridge - DAY THREE]

Hrafn caught Rayek's grimace and sent a quick message to those working on the torpedo to see if they could speed it up any.

It was then she saw the beam of light, and she heard Solluk's words in his message to ships '...around the Bajoran Wormhole...'

A ping on her console was a reply from the torpedo recalibration team.

"Commander, not that I think it's any use now but torpedo is ready for you..." she said with a sob in her voice.  She was thinking about everything and all those around the Wormhole and prayed to the Prophets, to keep the Entities safe.  If anyone heard her on the Bridge she would seem like she was muttering to herself in Bajoran.

It was the sob in Hrafn's voice that shook Rayek out of his stunned stare at the sensor readings coming back from where the wormhole and 4 Federation starships had been but moments ago.  Now there was nothing.  He glanced over to Hrafn, wishing he could offer her more than just an acknowledgement of her update.

"Thank you, Lieutenant..."  His own voice wavered a moment, and he cleared his throat - feigning that was the reason.  Since when did he become so emotional at such tragic loss of life?   Federation ideology must have brain-washed him.  He'd witnessed various atrocities before and wouldn't have dared even blinked an eye at any of them.   Now he wished he were back on the station with Tess and Fvienn, holding them close so that he could be sure that they were safe.   In the back of his mind was the awareness that on each one of those four ships had been hundreds of individuals who had been much like himself.  Each with a family that they were hoping to return home to at the end of the day. 

Rayek didn't understand, not really, why the ships had placed themselves in such a blockade position attempting to shield the wormhole from the powerful anti-neutrino beam.  That actually wasn't true, the Romulan knew why the wormhole was shielded, he just didn't understand the logic of not calling for an 'Abandon ship' before being moving the ships into position.  The Captains of those vessels placed higher value on the alien entities of the Wormhole than on the multitude of species aboard their own ships.  It was needless death according to him.

Steeling himself for what he needed to report Rayek called out.  "They're gone, sir. Task Force 12 is destroyed, and the wormhole to the Alpha Quadrant... there's no sign of it on sensors."

NPC Cathy Daniels
[SS Wonderland - Bridge] [DAY THREE]

SS Wonderland - On approach to Star System KH-113

Time passed gradually as the Pakleds settled into the environment of the Wonderland.  Asile and Aldo found auxiliary consoles to sit at.  Odelot was hard at work, helping the crew of the Wonderland to fix what damage it was possible to repair.   One of the impulse drive units was down, but the plasma leak from a ruptured EPS line had been repaired.  Spray-polymer patches had been used to reinforce the milk-patches initially applied, but even they would not hold for long. 

Unfortunately, main power was still offline.  The partial collision had caused the dilithium crystal in the reaction chamber to crack.  So, even with the EPS line rerouted, they were operating on minimal power.  This was enough to limp them to a nearby star system with a planet they might land at.  Only then would they be able to attempt re-crystallization and more permanent repairs to the ship's systems. 

The Wonderland needed a major overhaul at a drydock. 

Unfortunately, It wasn't going to get one. 

Haphazard repairs on an alien world were going to be the best they could hope for until they could get to New Bajor.

Odelot came onto the bridge, looking at the viewscreen.  "We are maybe probably going to be living," he gave his professional assessment.

Asile nodded to the viewscreen "We are passing through the Oorty Cloud now," she noted.

Aldo looked up from his adopted station, "This ship is not being very strong."

Odelot shot a glare at his brother-in-law, "It is doing its best that it can be doing.  It is for sending stuffs, not for fighting stuffs."

Aldo dipped his head, "I am being sad that the Yadyam is gone."

Asile shuffled over to her husband, "Me too.  Odelot and I were living many years on the ship, since we were being little."

Odelot turned away.  He could not say how he was feeling.  But his eyes were wet with his emotions.

[Wonderland]
The little freighter was tumbling and bucking like an old Bronc. The flight was anything but pleasant, even with the crack preliminarily fixed and the gravity back on.
Finn shook his head in desperation while sweat was building on his forehead. He was too busy to acknowledge Juraan and Cathy's worries with anything but "Not now." Whatever was going on with his back (it was probably just a cut or something) wasn't lethal.

He got up and flicked several switches and pushed a few buttons on the side panel. When the panel went black, he smashed his fist against it and magically brought it back to life, then sat back down. There was no time to take off the suit, only the mask over his face.

"I don't know if we even have enough power to run everything we need to get to the system." He told Cathy. Jugling the thrusters on both side, switching the side stabilizers on and off and using a good amount of calculation and hand balancing the ship was hard. Finn didn't want to hand that over to Cathy. "Sorry Cath, I've been flying this ship for almost a decade now. I know her inside out. Can you just make sure that we get to that planet and I'll try to keep her level. We need all the power we can spare on the backbord side to deflect anything that could make that crack larger. I'll shut off all internal systems except for life support. The gravity plate needs too much power, so buckle up."
He briefly looked around making sure that everyone was safe before he shut the internal gravity of the ship off, leaving everyone weightless again.

Then he looked to Cathy, who was incredibly calm considering the terrible situation. "Sorry, you holo massage buddy is offline, too."
A little joke to lighten the mood.

To Juraan he said. "Whatever medical stuff needs to be done, will be your job, good old fashioned handy work. How's the head?"
The Bajoran still had crusted blood in his blonde hair and on the side of his face.

He then motioned for the Paklets to get their attention.  "Don't be sad, you're still here. You were incredible. So creative! I also need one of you guys to focus on getting in touch with the Fleet or New Bajor or whoever you can get a message out to. Put your heads together. The main transmitter is busted. Maybe you can come up with another way."

Finn was trying to stay focussed and appear like a captain should when deep down he wasn't sure that the Wonderland would break through the middle and they'd all be lost before they could even reach any planet.

Cathy wasn't surprised that Finn ignored his own medical needs.  It seemed to be a recurring habit of his.  She figured when the pain got bad enough he'd eventually get it fixed.

When he back control of the helm, Cathy was relieved.  She even cracked a smile at his teasing comment about Joey.   While the others settled into the auxiliary stations, Cathy continued to feed navigational adjustments up to Finn, making their route to the small planet as short as conceivably possible.

Cathy was moved by the Pakleds sharing of their feelings and wondered if there was anything she could possibly to do offer support to them at the loss of their long-time ship. 

"Finn has a point.  What matters most is that you are all safe. Surely, you'll be able to start again - with a replacement ship."

Cathy didn't know all the in's and out's of what it took to become a freight hauler , since she was only a hired hand.   She just assumed that as with most things in the Federation, basic needs were just automatically met.  She figured that meant lost freighters were automatically replaced.   Cathy was a little naive when it came to things like that.

NPC Ambassadorial Aide Rhienn tr'Hei (Telmuk tr'Lhoell undercover)
[Katra Station - Saucer 2 - Tholian ship - Etain]

Eydis paused for a second feeling zex disappear across the lattice, shi would be curious but understood humanoids were not tholian and might desire time away from the lattice.

As long as we need to talk would be the flight for the Etain. It would seem the federation has no end to enemies who want to wipe out the station. It would almost be safer on the planets surface. And I suspect another incident has occurred with the departure of the federation ship and so many core command personnel.

That being said it is a relationship that does not involve the federation. Or one that would likely be approved by the federation. Yet to make sure both of our species survive we must forge relationships with others,  regardless of the federation. Who it would seem is always on the brink of losing it all.

I’m sure the director will give me further instructions before the maiden flight of the Etain. I thank you both for joining me on the assembly’s newest ship. May this be the start of mutual beneficial relationship.

Turning to look to the Ambassador "I will do my utmost to have your schedule cleared so that you may join on the Etain's maiden voyage."

Telmuk hoped that his own presence wouldn't be needed, though he couldn't be certain that Jarok wouldn't request that he go along.  If permitted to stay behind, he could use this opportunity while the Ambassador was busy and Rayek away on the Healy according to rumor, to do further investigation into his brother's private files which he suspected would be easier to access from his private quarters.   Plenty of DNA there to use to fool the bio-metrics. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:03:11 am by Rayek trLhoell »

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline John Saxon

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2021, 09:59:51 am »
<USS Starstalker>

The momentum flung them away from the incident faster than any piloting of a damaged ship could have. The quick-thinking that had led him to use the beam rather than attempt to outrun, evade, or withstand it had paid off. As quickly as it begun, it was over. Once again reminding everyone that he was a pilot and not en engineer. He didn't know much about reactions beyond what was needed to get the engines, thrusters, and warp core going. "Was that supposed to happen?"

It most certainly was not.

The satisfaction on Saxon's face as the platforms detonated crumpled into his natural creases as swiftly as the pure white beam burst from the anomaly, itself surging forth unimpeded before being cut off from the source like a severed strand of pallid hair. At Murselas's, not-unfair, question, he shot an urgent look to one of the technicians, with an expression of barely restrained panic. Had he done this? Had the bombs created this? Had somehow some tinkering of the bombs caused an imbalance that turned the anomaly into some string of energies in its collapse? Had his butchering of the quantum fiat in turn caused an effect of devastating implications?

Quietly, the Science technician that had one been a limpet on his arm not long ago, tapped the consoles bringing up data front he Starstalker's sensors. "Anti-neutrino beam. From the data, the anomaly was channelling it through the even horizon, not of it. Some cohesion jacket, too." He looked up. "Definitely deliberate."

John stared back and forth, his more pedestrian mind not capturing the full implications. "What would that achieve?"

The technician - 'Century' was sure it was like 'Genzell' - took a deep breath. "From the trajectory, it looks like its aimed at the Idran system."

Their side of the Bajoran wormhole. "What will that do if it hits?" John whispered.

Almost as if the complexity of words shielded them - everyone - from the realities, Genzell looked to everyone and then to the ceiling. "If the beam maintains its particle integrity - and there's every sign that it will - then at the output being detected, it will pierce the wormhole's GBF membrane; this will annihilate the neutrino initiator of the event horizon, collapsing any access to the positive CTF region."

It seemed all but Saxon knew what that mean. He, however, raised his unkempt eyebrows in encouragement for some clarity.

"Without this neutrino 'doorbell', the wormhole will not open."

John looked out, past Murselas's seat and into the void beyond. "Can we fire more neutrinos to get it back?".

Larkin(?) interjected. "No, the entire matrix has gone. Imagine a washed away sandcastle. The sand is still there but the castle is gone."

If he dumbed it down any more, Saxon was sure to hit him. "Can it be opened form the other side?". Some kind of relief effort, perhaps.

But Ginzel shook his head. "No. Even if the beam didn't continue through the ring singularity structures all the way to the other end, damage through the veteron nodes would be extensive. But...at the power detected? The other terminus should also have been disrupted too.

We're completely cut off from the Alpha Quadrant. And them, us.
"

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2021, 02:07:49 am »

USS Healy - 4.7 Light Years from the Idran System

Captain's Log - Stardate 76041.08

It has been just over 24 hours since the Subspace Conduit near the Bajoran Wormhole was collapsed.  One minute too late.  For the record, Lieutenant Saxon and his team on the Starstalker performed their duties admirably.  I have filed commendations for all of them, as well as for Commander Rayek, Lieutenant Falleg, and Lieutenant Goodspeed on the Healy.  Each of them persevered against seemingly insurmountable odds to accomplish the mission.  No one could have known that the Thinkers had already set their attack in motion.

That attack?  An Exawatt range anti-neutrino beam, aimed straight at the Bajoran Wormhole.  Once we recovered the Starstalker and put it in tow, we proceeded at our new maximum speed of Warp 5 to the site of the wormhole to confirm our worst fears:  The wormhole has been sealed.  It still exists, but its aperture has been rendered unreachable.  Without that aperture, it might as well not be there at all.

Worst of all is that the closure of the wormhole has created a localized subspace disruption, such that we cannot communicate our findings to those few Starfleet assets which reside in the Gamma Quadrant.  Sciences has estimated that normal subspace communication should be possible again in about one week's time. 

There are four auxiliary cruisers here, and two kilometer-long sections of shipyard structure.  They are all heavily damaged, but possibly recoverable.  Unfortunately, all personnel aboard these ships seem to have been killed instantly by the anti-neutrino beam.  I did not even know an anti-neutrino could kill someone.  But I suppose an Exawatt of anything will kill.  The ships intentionally lined up in the path of the beam in an attempt to save the wormhole aliens.  I can only hope that their sacrifice was successful.  It was a costly one.

The Healy is barely holding together.  I'd like to tow all of this material back to New Bajor, but we simply can't manage it.  As it is, it will take days for us to reach New Bajor.  Our engine performance continues to decline, and the microfractures in our hull become more serious by the hour.  When the Healy reaches New Bajor, she'll be lucky if she can ever go to warp again.

I recall that the USS Mughi is somewhere in the quadrant, and can hopefully be dispatched to retrieve these ships and shipyard components.  Although the Mughi is a very old ship, she has the high-capacity warp drive and industrial tractor beams needed to do the job.  If things are as they appear, and we are cut off from the rest of the Federation, every Starfleet asset that can be salvaged is as valuable as a moon made of gold-pressed latinum.  It will be a long time before we have the means to replace anything.

Now I must order for the Healy to take what is likely to be the last trek of its career: Out to New Bajor.  There are a quarter of a million people on that colony, as well as a Starfleet Academy Auxiliary with three-thousand cadets in training.  There is no larger or more important Federation site in the quadrant.  Not even the Trialus system compares.  Once we arrive at New Bajor, we can reach out to other Starfleet assets and hold some kind of conference to determine how best to organize ourselves. 

Then, hopefully, whoever ends up being in charge will give us a new ship to take back to Katra.  Otherwise, it could be months before we get the Healy's whole crew back to our duty station.

End Log.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Beja

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2021, 02:13:40 am »
Katra Station - Etrosian Refugee Camp

Beja walked back out of the Temple to the outside with Adryel. She smiled as she looked around at how much the Etrosian’s have truly started to wholeheartedly begin building their new future on Meridian. Beja believed that Adryel and his people were embarking on a brighter and better future than what they had left behind. Perhaps one day the Etrosians would end up going out in the galaxy to spread their wings even farther. The future is all in their hands now, and she was curious to see how it would go, and support them in any way she could.

Well,” Beja glanced over at Adryel, “Klingons love their children, but there is a lot of pressure on the children to keep the house and family honor up. The worst thing one can do is bring dishonor to the family and their house. Children are the future warriors that Klingons put their hope and efforts into that will bring the family future victories and respect to the family. Bloodlines are very important in Klingon culture.”

It is important for the house to be maintained so that future children do not have to live with the fact they were born into a house that holds no respect or honor in Klingon society. There is nothing worse for a child to be born with no house to call their own, or be a part of,” she answered Adryel.

Beja knew this pain quite well. Her house had been stripped of all of its glory and respect within the Klingon Empire. To any Klingon in the Empire, Beja and her family were traitors and her house had been dismantled, piece by piece, until nothing remained but rubble. In that rubble though a new house was being built, with a stronger foundation than the previous had been constructed upon. The Republic of Kahless held unlimited glory for them all.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2021, 03:34:00 am »
Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - CMO's office] - DAY THREE, gamma shift, around 2400 hours

Zex nodded.  "Mum's the word" she replied.  She even removed her lattis device so there was no way she could accidently relay any information to Eydis.  "I ready" she added reassuringly. 

Zex too was struck by that fact the one of the Dord had an active virus.   And had attempted to keep it a secret from the Katra staff.  But questions started to form in that pretty little head of hers.

"When I checked yesterday I did not see anything new, otherwise I would have reported it to you.  I know that Beja has been with the Etrosians, but I didn't see a report from her yet" she said.

"I will be happy to accompany you.  But, it may do us good to check in with Beja to see what she learned from the Etrosians first.  And I am on good terms with the Numati.  They have known the Dord the longest.  Perhaps they would know if he Dord are known to carry any deadly diseases.  If we have time, maybe we should meet with them before meeting the Dord" the Deltan suggested.

Tess nodded. "Beja's report will undoubtedly be very useful." At Zex' suggestion to meet the Numati, Tess hesitated. "I'm not sure that would be wise. We aren't supposed to know about the disease in the first place. I would refrain from talking about that to anyone else other than the Dord themselves."

Tess tried to suppress a yawn, but ended up covering her mouth with her hand as she gave into it. "Apologies. It was a long day. Undoubtedly for you, too." She gave Zex a smile and then glanced at the chronometer. "As much as I would like to grant you a later shift tomorrow, but I want to talk to the Dord as soon as possible. We can't waste any time. So tomorrow, 0800 hours, we'll meet and spend a visit to the Dord."

[The next day]
[Katra Station - Deck 11 - Dord Embassy] - DAY FOUR, beginning of alpha shift

Tess had her PADD with her and a medical tricorder. Director Boz had agreed to meet with them without hesitation. Undoubtedly he was still in fear of an unknown disease.

"Good morning, ambassador", Tess greeted him. "I want to thank you that you agreed to a meeting on such short notice." She turned to Zex. "I brought Ensign Zex with me. She's from the diplomatic staff."

She cleared her throat quietly as she took out the sensor probe of the tricorder. "As I already mentioned, we do these check-up scans with everyone who has been down on the planet in the past two weeks."

Adryel of Etros
[Planet Meridian - Emerald Peninsula - Ihmana Refugee Camp]

Katra Station - Etrosian Refugee Camp

Beja walked back out of the Temple to the outside with Adryel. She smiled as she looked around at how much the Etrosian’s have truly started to wholeheartedly begin building their new future on Meridian. Beja believed that Adryel and his people were embarking on a brighter and better future than what they had left behind. Perhaps one day the Etrosians would end up going out in the galaxy to spread their wings even farther. The future is all in their hands now, and she was curious to see how it would go, and support them in any way she could.

Well,” Beja glanced over at Adryel, “Klingons love their children, but there is a lot of pressure on the children to keep the house and family honor up. The worst thing one can do is bring dishonor to the family and their house. Children are the future warriors that Klingons put their hope and efforts into that will bring the family future victories and respect to the family. Bloodlines are very important in Klingon culture.”

It is important for the house to be maintained so that future children do not have to live with the fact they were born into a house that holds no respect or honor in Klingon society. There is nothing worse for a child to be born with no house to call their own, or be a part of,” she answered Adryel.

Beja knew this pain quite well. Her house had been stripped of all of its glory and respect within the Klingon Empire. To any Klingon in the Empire, Beja and her family were traitors and her house had been dismantled, piece by piece, until nothing remained but rubble. In that rubble though a new house was being built, with a stronger foundation than the previous had been constructed upon. The Republic of Kahless held unlimited glory for them all.

Adryel walked back through the forest with Beja. On his way, he picked some wild berries from the bushes. He popped one or two into his mouth and then held his hand out to Beja to try them too, if she wanted. "It sounds like a lot of pressure for the children", he commented and looked at her. He thought he saw some of the pain in her face again. There was nothing comforting he could say, he felt like. So he just reached his arm out to wrap it around her shoulder in a half hug. He then stepped back again.

"I hope, even if the house is dishonored, that there is a way to gain back that honor." Honor was not a particular important train in Etrosian culture. More spirituality. But what he had learned from Beja about her culture, it was an essential thing. "In my eyes, you are a most honorable person, Beja", he said sincerely.

NPC Juraan Ren
[Wonderland]

[Wonderland]
The little freighter was tumbling and bucking like an old Bronc. The flight was anything but pleasant, even with the crack preliminarily fixed and the gravity back on.
Finn shook his head in desperation while sweat was building on his forehead. He was too busy to acknowledge Juraan and Cathy's worries with anything but "Not now." Whatever was going on with his back (it was probably just a cut or something) wasn't lethal.

He got up and flicked several switches and pushed a few buttons on the side panel. When the panel went black, he smashed his fist against it and magically brought it back to life, then sat back down. There was no time to take off the suit, only the mask over his face.

"I don't know if we even have enough power to run everything we need to get to the system." He told Cathy. Jugling the thrusters on both side, switching the side stabilizers on and off and using a good amount of calculation and hand balancing the ship was hard. Finn didn't want to hand that over to Cathy. "Sorry Cath, I've been flying this ship for almost a decade now. I know her inside out. Can you just make sure that we get to that planet and I'll try to keep her level. We need all the power we can spare on the backbord side to deflect anything that could make that crack larger. I'll shut off all internal systems except for life support. The gravity plate needs too much power, so buckle up."
He briefly looked around making sure that everyone was safe before he shut the internal gravity of the ship off, leaving everyone weightless again.

Then he looked to Cathy, who was incredibly calm considering the terrible situation. "Sorry, you holo massage buddy is offline, too."
A little joke to lighten the mood.

To Juraan he said. "Whatever medical stuff needs to be done, will be your job, good old fashioned handy work. How's the head?"
The Bajoran still had crusted blood in his blonde hair and on the side of his face.

He then motioned for the Paklets to get their attention.  "Don't be sad, you're still here. You were incredible. So creative! I also need one of you guys to focus on getting in touch with the Fleet or New Bajor or whoever you can get a message out to. Put your heads together. The main transmitter is busted. Maybe you can come up with another way."

Finn was trying to stay focussed and appear like a captain should when deep down he wasn't sure that the Wonderland would break through the middle and they'd all be lost before they could even reach any planet.

NPC Cathy Daniels

Cathy wasn't surprised that Finn ignored his own medical needs.  It seemed to be a recurring habit of his.  She figured when the pain got bad enough he'd eventually get it fixed.

When he back control of the helm, Cathy was relieved.  She even cracked a smile at his teasing comment about Joey.   While the others settled into the auxiliary stations, Cathy continued to feed navigational adjustments up to Finn, making their route to the small planet as short as conceivably possible.

Cathy was moved by the Pakleds sharing of their feelings and wondered if there was anything she could possibly to do offer support to them at the loss of their long-time ship. 

"Finn has a point.  What matters most is that you are all safe. Surely, you'll be able to start again - with a replacement ship."

Cathy didn't know all the in's and out's of what it took to become a freight hauler , since she was only a hired hand.   She just assumed that as with most things in the Federation, basic needs were just automatically met.  She figured that meant lost freighters were automatically replaced.   Cathy was a little naive when it came to things like that.

"If your problem gets worse, don't blame me for being a bad doctor", Juraan warned, but everyone who knew him longer knew he was not really mad. He had to grip the back of Finn's seat while the ship buckled and slingered slightly while Finn admittedly did a good job to keep her steady.

"Are you serious?", Juraan muttered when Finn shut off the gravity again. The Bajoran didn't float away because he was still holding onto the seat, but then made his way past Cathy to the seat at the left side. Zero gravity was an odd feeling, Juraan didn't like it. Eventually he was in the seat and used the belt buckle to stay in place.

He then looked back at the Pakled crew. "Are you good back there?"

NPC Ambassador Virahk Jarok - Romulan Free State

Turning to look to the Ambassador "I will do my utmost to have your schedule cleared so that you may join on the Etain's maiden voyage."

Telmuk hoped that his own presence wouldn't be needed, though he couldn't be certain that Jarok wouldn't request that he go along.  If permitted to stay behind, he could use this opportunity while the Ambassador was busy and Rayek away on the Healy according to rumor, to do further investigation into his brother's private files which he suspected would be easier to access from his private quarters.   Plenty of DNA there to use to fool the bio-metrics.

Jarok inclined his head to Eydis. [color=##088454]"I too hope that we can build up a relationship that will be beneficial for each of us. I am looking forward to hear from you soon, Captain Eydis."[/color] He then looked to Rhienn. "Excellent."

Looking back to Eydis, Jarok offered a Romulan greeting. "Jolan-tru", before he moved to leave.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Hrafn Falleg

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Yes, The spots go ALL the way down!
  • Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Three year award Awarded to players who are always online and posting.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2021, 10:56:14 am »
Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell

It was the sob in Hrafn's voice that shook Rayek out of his stunned stare at the sensor readings coming back from where the wormhole and 4 Federation starships had been but moments ago.  Now there was nothing.  He glanced over to Hrafn, wishing he could offer her more than just an acknowledgement of her update.

"Thank you, Lieutenant..."  His own voice wavered a moment, and he cleared his throat - feigning that was the reason.  Since when did he become so emotional at such tragic loss of life?   Federation ideology must have brain-washed him.  He'd witnessed various atrocities before and wouldn't have dared even blinked an eye at any of them.   Now he wished he were back on the station with Tess and Fvienn, holding them close so that he could be sure that they were safe.   In the back of his mind was the awareness that on each one of those four ships had been hundreds of individuals who had been much like himself.  Each with a family that they were hoping to return home to at the end of the day. 

Rayek didn't understand, not really, why the ships had placed themselves in such a blockade position attempting to shield the wormhole from the powerful anti-neutrino beam.  That actually wasn't true, the Romulan knew why the wormhole was shielded, he just didn't understand the logic of not calling for an 'Abandon ship' before being moving the ships into position.  The Captains of those vessels placed higher value on the alien entities of the Wormhole than on the multitude of species aboard their own ships.  It was needless death according to him.

Steeling himself for what he needed to report Rayek called out.  "They're gone, sir. Task Force 12 is destroyed, and the wormhole to the Alpha Quadrant... there's no sign of it on sensors."

[Bridge - USS Healy - DAY THREE]

Hrafn let the tears silently rain down her cheeks.  While they'd done what they came to do, she still felt like a failure.  She'd known people serving in Task Force 12 and she would mourn them privately as one does friends but all of them for their selfless sacrifice trying to save the wormhole.

Was it just gone from sensors, or had it been obliterated, she knew strange things had happened with the Wormhole before.  But now her brain processed another fact... her daughter Ruthie... she was in the Alpha Quadrant, about to graduate from the Academy this year. It was unlikely that she and Nevir were going to be able to attend now, even if she'd managed to get time off.  However, the red-haired CSO was now thinking more about if she'd ever see her daughter face to face again.... it was Voyager all over again, would they ever see Earth again?

"C-Commander?, Captain... are we returning to Katra now?  I have a desire to hug my kids a little tighter, 3 of them anyhow.  Cadet Falleg-Tekin may have to wait a bit longer for one.  Do we know if communications are still going thru to the Alpha Quadrant or are we now totally cut off?" she asked, voicing a question she was sure was in the minds of all on the Healy.

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2021, 03:31:20 pm »

SS Wonderland - On approach to uncharted planet

Odelot nodded, and the other Pakleds followed suit.  "It is being true," Odelot said, "If we are being alive, then we can be making things again."

Asile reached out to put a hand on her brother's shoulder.  "We will be finding things to make us go."

Aldo pointed at the cockpit window, "Right now we are going down to the planet, I think."

Odelot nodded, "I will be trying to make the ship not break when we crash."

Asile looked up, "We are crashing?"

Odelod nodded again, "The landing things are being broken from where the Dominion ship was being crashed into us, and we can not be using the go-fastest engines on the planet, and the go-fast engines are being hurt a bit, and the go-slow engines are being hurt even more.  And so we are going to be crashing.  I am glad I am not having to fly us down." 

Odelot looked around, wondering who would have that honor, and then shuffled off to the structural integrity control panel to see if he could coax the ship to stay together during the upcoming emergency landing.

As the ship descended into the atmosphere, their eyes would soon enough report what their sensors had told them.  The world was habitable, but only just.  It was a rocky, inhospitable landscape, with few smooth areas in which to make a safe landing. 

As they came down to 2,000 meters of altitude, an aberrant signal briefly flashed on the sensors, but there was little time to study it now.  They were in the final stages of their descent, and every iota of attention would be needed to keep the ship from becoming a smear on the surface of the world.

[Katra Station - Deck 11 - Dord Embassy]

Director Boz stood in the Dord Embassy conference room, regarding Commander t'Lhoell and Ensign Zex.  Xir powered suit had been recently given a bronze finish, it seemed.  This had been done while meticulously preserving every scratch, dent, and degradation of the suit's outer appearance.  The guests in attendance could not possibly know this, but 'bronze' had been recently deemed to be the utmost fashion for Dord of high rank, or in command positions.  The Totality's new Chief Executive had set the trend upon assuming the color for xir own suit just last week.  Now, every Dord of worth was adapting their family suits to the new fashion.

"I am gratified that you are taking the matter of this planetary illness so seriously," Boz said, seeming to be genuinely pleased.  "Our medical science is quite advanced, but my diplomatic cruiser is still days away on a special assignment, and I would appreciate your fairly competent examinations."

USS Healy - At the site of the former Bajoran Wormhole

Solluk checked his PADD, and then turned to look at Hrafn.

"Based on the lack of communications coming this way through the relay, I don't think we can count on the fact that any of our transmissions are going out through the wormhole, Lieutenant.  The aperture seems to be completely disrupted.  It is like the wormhole has become a tunnel with no entrance and no exit.  It's there, but we can't access it to pass through."

He paused, delivering other hard news, "New Bajor has the closest Starfleet facilities, and probably the most important ones, with the Starfleet Academy Auxiliary being there.  We'll be heading there first.  Frankly, I'm not even convinced the Healy could make it all the way back to Katra in her current state. 

However, New Bajor was a staging ground for ships preparing to have upgrades at Katra's drydock.  There may be other ships there.  And if nothing else, I know there is an old Aquila class ship there being used to train cadets.  The USS Aquila herself, if I'm not mistaken."

The Aquila class was one of Starfleet's flirtations with a carrier, having refit antique Constellations during the Dominion war.  There had been some recent talk of the Academy using the ship to deliver Katra's new fighter squadron.  A simple but useful mission for cadet training.  Unfortunately, with emerging events, Solluk had never learned what had been decided on that front.   

"I'm not sure what the quadrant command situation looks like right now.  With luck, whoever is in charge of Starfleet here will allow us the use of a ship so that we can return home.  But given the current situation, that could take weeks." 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 06:40:50 pm by Solluk »

Offline Finn Moreno

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2021, 05:12:59 pm »
[Wonderland]
The ship was hard to controll because of the broken stabilizers and dyfunctional systems. It took a lot of concentration for Finn and his crew to get it to the planet but he was exhausted and tired and the worst was still ahead. He hadn't been able to get away from the controls long enough to have his own back looked at, so by now he was in quite a bit of pain. Every now and then he pressed his hand against his back but that didn't help. He had even asked Juraan for whatever painkiller he could find.
The smile that was usually on his lips had been replaced by a deep, worried frown.

As the planet was right ahead and it became clear that its surface was littered with sharp ridges, Finn became really nervous. Oh shit. I can't see anywhere to land. We need a long, clear patch because we're going to be skidding if we're lucky.
The ridges below came close and closer on their uneven descent.
"Cathy, help me. I need you to get us down. You have to land while I try to keep the ship level."
To the Paklets he shouted. "Send out a mayday - quick!"

The Wonderland was sinking towards the surface much faster than it should. In front of them a ridge with edges as sharp as predator teeth was rising up. If they didn't get over it, they'd be history anyway.
"C'mon, c'mon!" He shouted at the ship while it bucked up one more time,  nose pointing upwards and almost scraping its bottom over it.
"Cathy!"

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:38:50 pm by Finn Moreno »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2021, 02:31:18 am »
Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck 11 - Dord Embassy] - DAY FOUR, beginning of alpha shift

Director Boz stood in the Dord Embassy conference room, regarding Commander t'Lhoell and Ensign Zex.  Xir powered suit had been recently given a bronze finish, it seemed.  This had been done while meticulously preserving every scratch, dent, and degradation of the suit's outer appearance.  The guests in attendance could not possibly know this, but 'bronze' had been recently deemed to be the utmost fashion for Dord of high rank, or in command positions.  The Totality's new Chief Executive had set the trend upon assuming the color for xir own suit just last week.  Now, every Dord of worth was adapting their family suits to the new fashion.

"I am gratified that you are taking the matter of this planetary illness so seriously," Boz said, seeming to be genuinely pleased.  "Our medical science is quite advanced, but my diplomatic cruiser is still days away on a special assignment, and I would appreciate your fairly competent examinations."

When Tess came face to face with the ambassador, she immediately noticed xir new suit. The bronze look gave the suit and also the Dord an antique touch, as it reminded her of the bronze breastplates of Roman generals. The way Director Boz wore the new suit - remarkably with all its scuffs and scratches worked in - told Tess it was something to compliment. It was a good opportunity, because she needed the ambassador in high spirits.

"I've never seen a suit like you're wearing on any Dord, Director. It looks excellent on you, if I may say so. Really something special."

It seemed that her efforts were unnecessary, for Boz consented all too readily to the examination. If she had thought nothing of the cruiser remark earlier, Tess now knew why he was so awaiting it so desperately. "I thank you for your cooperation, Director."

Tess took a step closer and slowly moved the sensor along the face and down to the chest. The tricorder beeped eagerly as it took in and processed all the data. Her eyes were fixed on the device's display, which showed biological units. Tess had previously given the data of the bacterium and bacteriophage she had found as reference data, which she was now looking for. And bingo. There it was! Tess looked over at Zex, giving the faintest of nods to her and then she looked over to Boz.

"Director", she said slowly, trying to choose her words carefully. She didn't know how Boz would react. "Our research on the illness on Meridian showed that there is a quite uniqe biological agent, a bacteriophage, that we have never seen before and that has never been described in medical history. Now, the medical scans we have just taken from you show that you're carrying that same bacteriophage. I'm glad it doesn't seem to harm you. But it possibility seems likely now that you have not been infected by Meridian, but that you accidentially infected the Meridian fauna when you visited the Peninsula."

Tess looked at him friendly and let that sink it.

NPC Juraan Ren
[Wonderland]

SS Wonderland - On approach to uncharted planet

Odelot nodded, and the other Pakleds followed suit.  "It is being true," Odelot said, "If we are being alive, then we can be making things again."

Asile reached out to put a hand on her brother's shoulder.  "We will be finding things to make us go."

Aldo pointed at the cockpit window, "Right now we are going down to the planet, I think."

Odelot nodded, "I will be trying to make the ship not break when we crash."

Asile looked up, "We are crashing?"

Odelod nodded again, "The landing things are being broken from where the Dominion ship was being crashed into us, and we can not be using the go-fastest engines on the planet, and the go-fast engines are being hurt a bit, and the go-slow engines are being hurt even more.  And so we are going to be crashing.  I am glad I am not having to fly us down." 

Odelot looked around, wondering who would have that honor, and then shuffled off to the structural integrity control panel to see if he could coax the ship to stay together during the upcoming emergency landing.

As the ship descended into the atmosphere, their eyes would soon enough report what their sensors had told them.  The world was habitable, but only just.  It was a rocky, inhospitable landscape, with few smooth areas in which to make a safe landing. 

As they came down to 2,000 meters of altitude, an aberrant signal briefly flashed on the sensors, but there was little time to study it now.  They were in the final stages of their descent, and every iota of attention would be needed to keep the ship from becoming a smear on the surface of the world.

[Wonderland]
The ship was hard to controll because of the broken stabilizers and dyfunctional systems. It took a lot of concentration for Finn and his crew to get it to the planet but he was exhausted and tired and the worst was still ahead. He hadn't been able to get away from the controls long enough to have his own back looked at, so by now he was in quite a bit of pain. Every now and then he pressed his hand against his back but that didn't help. He had even asked Juraan for whatever painkiller he could find.
The smile that was usually on his lips had been replaced by a deep, worried frown.

As the planet was right ahead and it became clear that its surface was littered with sharp ridges, Finn became really nervous. Oh shit. I can't see anywhere to land. We need a long, clear patch because we're going to be skidding if we're lucky.
The ridges below came close and closer on their uneven descent.
"Cathy, help me. I need you to get us down. You have to land while I try to keep the ship level."
To the Paklets he shouted. "Send out a mayday - quick!"

The Wonderland was sinking towards the surface much faster than it should. In front of them a ridge with edges as sharp as predator teeth was rising up. If they didn't get over it, they'd be history anyway.
"C'mon, c'mon!" He shouted at the ship while it bucked up one more time,  nose pointing upwards and almost scraping its bottom over it.
"Cathy!"

After what he had seen from the Pakleds, Odelot in particular, Juraan trusted him fully to save the ship as best as he could. Odelot was a trained Engineer while Juraan just had picked up a frew tricks in his time in the Bajoran underground. That time seemed so far away now. A lifetime apart. When the ship broke through the atmosphere the planet's gravity gripped them and it tugged hard on his bones. He stared at the rough landscape and knew instantly, if they survived, they could call themselves luckiest men in the universe. While Juraan was tense in the face of quite likely death, he felt strangely calm. No panic, no numbing fear. What did he lose, anyways? The only woman he had ever loved had left. He had no children. His parents died a long time ago in the labour camp. And the only persons he would call friends would die with him.

Finn's shouts and the violent rattling as the ship fought against outside forces that wanted to tear it apart brought him back a little bit. Just im time to catch a singal that blinked at one of the consoles, but he couldn't find out what it was right now as the planet's surface came closer and closer.

Both Cathy and Finn were doing a good job together and they even had found a relatively even spot to crash land, only time would tell if it was even enough. His fingers gripped the armrests so tightly that his knuckles turned white, the muscles in his jaw beginning to ache as he tried to brace himself for the impact. "I hope all of your are strapped!"

"Before we impact, pull your hands away from the consoles or they will break, protect your heads!" He did the same, wrapping his arms around himself to cover his head.

The impact was brutal. Juraan had the feeling to be torn apart - over and over again, as the ship that miraculously had not fallen apart, skittered over the rough surface.

Eventually, there was no movement anymore. No pulling, no skittering.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded every January by the FCO.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2021, 05:57:52 am »
Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell

[Bridge - USS Healy - DAY THREE]

Hrafn let the tears silently rain down her cheeks.  While they'd done what they came to do, she still felt like a failure.  She'd known people serving in Task Force 12 and she would mourn them privately as one does friends but all of them for their selfless sacrifice trying to save the wormhole.

Was it just gone from sensors, or had it been obliterated, she knew strange things had happened with the Wormhole before.  But now her brain processed another fact... her daughter Ruthie... she was in the Alpha Quadrant, about to graduate from the Academy this year. It was unlikely that she and Nevir were going to be able to attend now, even if she'd managed to get time off.  However, the red-haired CSO was now thinking more about if she'd ever see her daughter face to face again.... it was Voyager all over again, would they ever see Earth again?

"C-Commander?, Captain... are we returning to Katra now?  I have a desire to hug my kids a little tighter, 3 of them anyhow.  Cadet Falleg-Tekin may have to wait a bit longer for one.  Do we know if communications are still going thru to the Alpha Quadrant or are we now totally cut off?" she asked, voicing a question she was sure was in the minds of all on the Healy.

USS Healy - At the site of the former Bajoran Wormhole

Solluk checked his PADD, and then turned to look at Hrafn.

"Based on the lack of communications coming this way through the relay, I don't think we can count on the fact that any of our transmissions are going out through the wormhole, Lieutenant.  The aperture seems to be completely disrupted.  It is like the wormhole has become a tunnel with no entrance and no exit.  It's there, but we can't access it to pass through."

He paused, delivering other hard news, "New Bajor has the closest Starfleet facilities, and probably the most important ones, with the Starfleet Academy Auxiliary being there.  We'll be heading there first.  Frankly, I'm not even convinced the Healy could make it all the way back to Katra in her current state. 

However, New Bajor was a staging ground for ships preparing to have upgrades at Katra's drydock.  There may be other ships there.  And if nothing else, I know there is an old Aquila class ship there being used to train cadets.  The USS Aquila herself, if I'm not mistaken."

The Aquila class was one of Starfleet's flirtations with a carrier, having refit antique Constellations during the Dominion war.  There had been some recent talk of the Academy using the ship to deliver Katra's new fighter squadron.  A simple but useful mission for cadet training.  Unfortunately, with emerging events, Solluk had never learned what had been decided on that front.   

"I'm not sure what the quadrant command situation looks like right now.  With luck, whoever is in charge of Starfleet here will allow us the use of a ship so that we can return home.  But given the current situation, that could take weeks."

Listening to Solluk dictate his Captain's log and sum up with the concern of it possibly taking months to return home, Rayek tried to keep his grimace to himself.  When Hrafn indicated that she was wanting to return home to hold her children, he knew exactly how she felt.  He wanted to see his son AND his wife, and hated that once more he was apart from them for much longer than he intended to be.  Yet desire the situation, Rayek knew that his decision to 'volunteer for the mission' had been the right one.

The Romulan just hoped that the silence they had traveled out under would be lifted now that the conduit was down and the one known Thinker vessel dealt with.   He desperately wanted to at least be able to communicate with Tess to ensure that she and Fvienn were safe, and knew he was safe as well.  He didn't want her being overly worried about him. 

Solluk's answer to Hrafn wasn't encouraging.  "Perhaps it would be good to send Katra" meaning his wife, "a mission update so that they are kept informed of the wormhole's state and aware of our delayed return."

NPC Cathy Daniels

NPC Juraan Ren
[Wonderland]

"If your problem gets worse, don't blame me for being a bad doctor", Juraan warned, but everyone who knew him longer knew he was not really mad. He had to grip the back of Finn's seat while the ship buckled and slingered slightly while Finn admittedly did a good job to keep her steady.

"Are you serious?", Juraan muttered when Finn shut off the gravity again. The Bajoran didn't float away because he was still holding onto the seat, but then made his way past Cathy to the seat at the left side. Zero gravity was an odd feeling, Juraan didn't like it. Eventually he was in the seat and used the belt buckle to stay in place.

He then looked back at the Pakled crew. "Are you good back there?"

The flight towards their only hope (barring the sudden appearance of a space whale) was a long one.  A long one made to feel even longer by the fact that Cathy had to struggle with the controls the entire flight.  She was grateful to Finn who continued to compensate for the damage stabilizer.   Even so the Wonderland wasn't responding like how she was supposed to, the controls were sluggish.

NPC Juraan Ren
[Wonderland]

After what he had seen from the Pakleds, Odelot in particular, Juraan trusted him fully to save the ship as best as he could. Odelot was a trained Engineer while Juraan just had picked up a frew tricks in his time in the Bajoran underground. That time seemed so far away now. A lifetime apart. When the ship broke through the atmosphere the planet's gravity gripped them and it tugged hard on his bones. He stared at the rough landscape and knew instantly, if they survived, they could call themselves luckiest men in the universe. While Juraan was tense in the face of quite likely death, he felt strangely calm. No panic, no numbing fear. What did he lose, anyways? The only woman he had ever loved had left. He had no children. His parents died a long time ago in the labour camp. And the only persons he would call friends would die with him.

Finn's shouts and the violent rattling as the ship fought against outside forces that wanted to tear it apart brought him back a little bit. Just im time to catch a singal that blinked at one of the consoles, but he couldn't find out what it was right now as the planet's surface came closer and closer.

Both Cathy and Finn were doing a good job together and they even had found a relatively even spot to crash land, only time would tell if it was even enough. His fingers gripped the armrests so tightly that his knuckles turned white, the muscles in his jaw beginning to ache as he tried to brace himself for the impact. "I hope all of your are strapped!"

"Before we impact, pull your hands away from the consoles or they will break, protect your heads!" He did the same, wrapping his arms around himself to cover his head.

The impact was brutal. Juraan had the feeling to be torn apart - over and over again, as the ship that miraculously had not fallen apart, skittered over the rough surface.

Eventually, there was no movement anymore. No pulling, no skittering.

While Cathy focused on her getting the ship to the planet, there was no time to worry about anything else.  Even as she brought the ship into descent and Odelot explained on how they didn't have landing gear, Cathy didn't show her concern - there just wasn't time for it.  Without her fully concentration, who knew if the ship would even make it to the ground in one piece. 

She heard Finn calling her name, directing her on how to help and what to look for in a landing spot.   She nodded but didn't spare the effort to actually call out and acknowledge him.   Juraan's words on how to take the crash were calm.  His calmness helped keep her from panicking.  This was actually happening.  They were about to crash land on a barren piece of rock!   The view screen only showed a seemingly endless range of mountains.   She had the sensors look for long straight valleys and pinged on one almost directly in their flight path, lining up with it thankfully didn't require too much alteration to their descent path.

Cathy brought them down in more or less a controlled gllde and at the last second as Juraan suggested left the last few meters to autopilot while she covered her head.  The ship hit the ground and Cathy was thrown hard against her restraints.. for a moment it felt like she couldn't breathe, the pain in her chest was so bad due to the seat belts constricting at the impact.  The pressure grew so much that her vision, as the ship skidded long the valley floor, seemed to darken at the edges before going completely black as she passed out.

NPC Ambassador Virahk Jarok - Romulan Free State

Jarok inclined his head to Eydis. [color=##088454]"I too hope that we can build up a relationship that will be beneficial for each of us. I am looking forward to hear from you soon, Captain Eydis."[/color] He then looked to Rhienn. "Excellent."

Looking back to Eydis, Jarok offered a Romulan greeting. "Jolan-tru", before he moved to leave.

Rhienn offered a parting bow, then followed the Ambassador.   The meeting had been brief, and relatively uninformative.   He had no diplomatic experience to know if this brevity was typical of a first meeting.  Not that length was any indication of quality of connection made.   Telmuk would however preferred to have gained more from the conversation.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2021, 11:07:41 am »

Zex nodded to Boz when he greeted them.  She too noticed the change in his uniform.  His willingness to be examined was not expected, but she was happy that he consented.

After Tess started the exam, Zex watched Boz for a moment.  But she saw the nod from Tess.  Boz was a carrier of the bacteria.

She wondered how he would react to being informed.  Instinctively she waited to see if her limited mental talents would signal a change in Boz.  One that might signal danger for her and Tess.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2021, 03:06:02 pm »

Dord Embassy - Conference Room

"Not new," Xe snapped before composing xirself.  "Forgive me, you meant no offense, I'm sure.  This is my great, great, great grandparent's suit.  Xe was among the first Dord Executive Families when the Totality was initially founded.   It is with pride that I wear what xe wore, and show off its patina, evidence of a family long respected among my people. 

However... I have added a new bronze coloration with molecular deposition techniques, to preserve the patina while embracing the latest fashion.  I appreciate you noticing."

Boz stood somewhat nervously while Xe was scanned.   When Tess revealed the scan results, Boz' eyes went wide, but xe did not object as might be expected.  Instead, xir body seemed to sag, and xe turned away from Tess and Zex.  There was a long pause, until finally Boz turned back around.

"I must share something with you.  Something in confidence.  It must not leave this room..."

Boz paused, but seemed to take agreement as a given, for xe continued.

"In my youth, I was engaged in an important Dord Mineral Extraction Research Project.  We were modifying bacteria using viruses, changing their genetic code so that they would accumulate minerals from ore deposits, creating pure ingots of material in a target mountain or asteroid, making extraction a simple matter.

During a demonstration of the technology, before we solved the issue of reproducability of the bacteriophage, I was accidentally exposed to it.  It infected my cells, but non-harmfully.  I have been taking a special viral suppressant ever since... but my supply recently ran out.  The Obsidian Lord is on its way back with a medical synthesizer.  I thought it would take longer for the bacteriophage to become contagious again.  I am truly sorry for any difficulty this has caused."

Boz swallowed, and it was clear xe was sweating insider xir suit.  A sign of extreme embarrassment or stress. 

"I have kept my condition secret, even from most of my fellow Dord.  It is an embarrassment to be carrying a disease, even one that does no harm to humanoids.  It is a mark of uncleanliness.  An extreme loss of face.

If I provide you with the formula of the viral suppressant... will you promise to keep the source of this infection out of the public eye?"

USS Healy - Near the former site of the Bajoran Wormhole

Solluk's face softened with sadness as his First Officer made the request to send a message. 

"There is no way to get a subspace message through the interference in this sector.  Not until it clears up.  But we could load a communications probe with our logs and any messages you wish to send.  Katra would get it in about a week.  I'll include a request that the USS Mughi be dispatched to this location, if she hasn't already gotten underway.  We'll need her to tow this material to New Bajor."

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles