Author Topic: S4:E5 - Die letzte Grenze  (Read 16670 times)

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S4:E5 - Die letzte Grenze
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2020, 10:34:47 am »
[Bridge - USS Challenger]

And the captain was quick on his mind to prep the dauntless crew of the Challenger. A dimensional transit wasn't always guaranteed to be a one-way stop, a single miscue in positional location could spell... complications.

As the captain channeled his crew for a proper que - T'eala began re-sequencing her nav-specs. In the past she used to scoff at her father's "needless" draconian methods in getting precise coordinate inputs. This wasn't something she could afford to over-or-undershoot, with the caveat of sub-lighting back into pace. So her neurons quickly fired of trimetric algebra, a solid foundational tool to help procure the secured jump.

"Jump secure, captain." She spoke as her hands switched conns. Flying came as natural as body language to the locked-in Betazoid. She quickly decelled the Challenger into one quarter impulse as instructed. Captain Galloway had already initiated his count. From here, T'eala knew better than to second guess her instinct or the math behind it. "Steady girl." she muttered to the Challenger herself. Though she was still getting to know the craft, she could quickly feel an innate bond for it.

More of a pilot-thing, than a Betazoid one.

USS Challenger - Bridge

"Aye, Captain.  Quantums away."

ShranLahr ch'Verret
[Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be - USS Challenger - Bridge - current time - at rift coordinates - in battle]

Lahr was waiting pretty much at the edge of his seat for Ruth to give him the go ahead.   Around them the battle raged, and though Lahr was keeping track of what was happening peripherally, his task at present was to send that message.   It was what was going to get them home so took precedence - at least to the Andorian.  When the order came, Lahr sent out the message with a 30 second countdown.  A moment later he received a distorted acknowledgement back.  "The Tesla acknowledges." he announced, turning to look to Ruth, who had already begun her own countdown. 

Thirty seconds never felt so long.

Then there was the pulse.  The flare was so bright that Lahr automatically raised a hand to shield his eyes - yet couldn't look away.  Please work!

But then Ruth stated that they had another minute forty-five to wait.. with only twenty seconds to make it through.  Talk about a short window of opportunity.   Lahr turned to glance to the new flight officer who was manning Helm in place of Litt.   He'd noticed on a prior shift that the woman pilot had the typical black eyes of a Betazoid and at that moment he hoped his worry about her inexperience wasn't being picked up on because he didn't want that to be the reason she maybe doubted herself, and didn't time the flight right, and instead got them stuck in the Nazi-verse.  That wouldn't be good at all.  So, Lahr forced himself to think positive thoughts.  She could do it!  She could do it!

Mid-mantra the Captain gave out a round of orders.  "Aye sir!"

The Andorian prepped the probe auto-destruct screen.

With expert piloting, the ship flew towards the rift's event horizon, passing the Tirpiz, with phasers firing.   With the Nazi ship behind them now, Lahr split the mainscreen - to show both fore and aft to show.  Lahr watched the torpedos streak away behind towards the Nazi ship.  Wait for it...  wait for it.   Impact!  Lahr activated the probes' self-destruct.

As the computer began it's count, Mondo's fire lashed the Tirpiz with two salvos of quantums and every bearing phaser hammering the Nazi battleship mercilessly. However, the Tirpiz was built to take damage and take the damage she did, but at a cost. By the time the Challenger was past her, the Tirpiz was a mauled wreck with none of her weapons functional and drifting.

Ian listened to the countdown and calculated that there was just enough time to do one last, bit of mischief before they escaped.

"Computer, based on image captured of the target Tirpiz during previous communications, extrapolate location of being known as Admiral Lutjens, lock onto him, drop starboard shields, and beam that individual to the bridge two meters in front of my location."

"Working."

Ian heard the transporter cycle began and as soon as a dumbfounded Lutjens appeared, Ian delivered a waiting roundhouse punch directly onto the German admiral's nose, which audibly broke causing blood to spurt down the front of his uniform.

"Computer. Return Lutjens to the bridge of the Tirpiz and raise starboard shields."

As the transporter whisked Lutjens away, Ian laughed and exclaimed.

"Maker, it felt good to punch an actual Nazi in the nose!"

Just as the still startled and bleeding Lutjens arrived on his battered ship, on his viewscreen, he saw the Challenger vanish into some sort of portal within the very fabric of space that rapidly closed behind them. He could only impotently vent his rage at his that rushed to his aid as his prize escaped leaving nothing but wrecked ships in it's wake for him to explain to his unforgiving superiors.

On the Challenger, one second they were in the open starscape of the dimension were Germany won the Second World War, and the next, they were in the swirling chaos of the Sargasso Expanse with the USS Tesla, a Nova-Class scout waiting for them.

Ian looked around the bridge and neither felt, nor saw any of the vivid images like he had when they'd transited dimensions the first time. He was certain there was some science he didn't understand that could explain the difference, but it didn't matter, they were home and were being hailed by the Tesla.

Offline Ruth Sigurdsdottir

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • It's clearly illogical.
  • Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Three year award Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2020, 12:00:18 pm »
ShranLahr ch'Verret
[Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be - USS Challenger - Turbolift - days earlier... following defeat of the Scharnhorst]

Ruth's comment about his spending more time in her quarters than his own, earned a chuckle. It was true enough.  Since her arrival, he'd maybe slept in his own bed twice and that only because he'd switched his usual Alpha shifts for Gamma shift helping out another Ops personnel and had needed to catch up on sleep during the Alpha shift while she was working.  Much like Burke, Helga and other the security team members, he was certain his cabinmate Grelek knew what was going on, but being Vulcan was polite enough not to comment.

Lahr smiled as she stated her own love of Italian dishes.  The mention of her preferring to cook was interesting.  Lahr had never had reason to try his hand at cooking.  He'd heard others remark that replicated meals could never compare to real ingredients cooked by hand, but Lahr had never experienced that himself.  Still he nodded at Ruth's offer to cook for him.  "Something to look forward to." he remarked.

Her hand outstretched towards him and Lahr took it, setting his coffee down on the bedside stand and let her draw him closer until he was sitting on the bed beside her.  She seemed to agree to his suggestion of sleep but with the caveat that he be there to snuggle against.  He chuckled again.  He should have expected that when he made the suggestion.  Lahr nodded and released her hand to stroke along her face tenderly.  "Yeah, I can do that. Though you do know that your raktajino has more caffeine than coffee which won't help your headache any and could potentially keep you awake, right?" he pointed out teasingly. 

Her hand found its way to stroke along his temple and he just managed to not wince as she brushed against the goose egg.  He hoped that she didn't notice it but yeah... no such luck.  He tried his best not to 'telegraph' his lie when he was silent at her comment about forgiving him if it wasn't hurting. Thankfully, in true Ruth fashion she moved the conversation on - going back to the topic of his 'straying'... which somehow moments later had her hinting at a bit of bondage.  His antenna perked in surprise at her eyebrow waggle.  Her giggle however told him she was just teasing.  For now.

However, it was her next words that if his antenna weren't already fully upright would have shot them up in alarm.  Roohz! They'd barely been together as a couple secretly for a month and here she was talking marriage! And children!?  What the hell was he supposed to say to a comment like that?  While he struggled to find an answer that question, Ruth moved on.

She drank from her coffee and asked yet another question that he had no clear answer to.  She wanted to know when they were going to make it official.. 'Official how?' was what he wanted to know.  Was she expecting a marriage proposal from him?  Or did she just mean not hiding it from the crew? 

He watched her a bit apprehensively as she set her raktajino down beside his coffee before laying back on the bed talking more.  Lahr was relieved a bit when it seemed she just wanted them to be open about their relationship.  Though he was amused when she tried to spur him to a bit jealousy by pointing out the other men that found her attractive. 

Ruth was obviously feeling insecure about their relationship if she needed the validation of the Captain and crew to make it real for her.   That much Lahr could handle... baby steps.   He turned towards her sprawled form, stalking on his hands and knees as he moved overtop her.   His pale blue eyes met her green ones.  "If you want to inform the Captain that you've taken an Enlisted Petty officer as your lover, I won't complain, but I think it's a little early to be talking marriage or children.  Isn't there a human custom of grieving a year for the dead?  I've already told you 'I'm not going anywhere'.  You don't need to rush this.  I want this to last until your hair is as white as mine.  So, we can take things slow.. and enjoy each aspect of the relationship as it grows.  No pressures... no schedule... just us.  Okay?" He tried to have his words carry meaning and be reassuring.

"As for the others that you say are interested in you... Did you want me to invite them over for dinner sometime - see if there is chemistry there? Maybe even between the three of us?"  Lahr was only half teasing. 

He smiled down at her then kissed along her jawline a moment before pausing to explain his offer.  "It wouldn't be fair of me to expect exclusivity when you are giving me freedom.  And being Andorian, I'm not likely to be the jealous type."

ShranLahr ch'Verret
[USS Challenger - Deck 5 - Luigi's Pizzeria - days later... enroute to rift coordinates]

Wait! What!?! Ruth had played Super Smash Bros. Melee before? Oh Roohz.  Lahr got the feeling that between Sammy and Ruth he was going to lose and lose big. 

A huge smile formed on his face.  "Bring it on, Ruth. Let's see how good you are" he taunted with a waggle of his antenna.

The game generated voice called out "Fight" and the game was on.  Lahr, whose usual tactic involved just a lot of button mashing... found himself needing actually do a bit of specific combos in order to stay alive.  It was going to be a close game.

[Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be - USS Challenger - Turbolift - days earlier... following defeat of the Scharnhorst]

Ruth smiled and yawned.  "Coffee, of whatever variety, never seemed to affect me in that way, I mean keeping me awake when I want to sleep.  But does and did keep me awake when I'm on duty, but I have to ask for a 'Waring Blend'... it's a roughly 3 times caffeinated version of the standard which I normally drink however!"

When Lahr seemed to baulk at the thought of marriage and kids, the Viking redhead felt the need to explain.  "And I don't mean right now for the kids and marriage and everything... eventually maybe.  See, I've wanted kids a long time, and well... it's never happened and I'm 29 and a half... it's going to be more difficult for me to have kids the older I get, plus I don't know how things work with the whole you being Andorian and me human... that could take a while to sort out... I mean if we go down that route."

She paused and grinned at his suggestion to have the other guys interested in her over for dinner.  "You know I bet you would be jealous, you'd feel you weren't special anymore, but I don't want them over for dinner, one has spots and the other would bore you to death! As for the 'officialdom' I just meant not hiding it from the crew, or at least letting the Captain and Kyle know, and Grelek and your gang so they don't keep pestering with questions.  You're right about a years mourning the dead is customary, how about we say Christmas then or the New Year if you think we can keep it to a few select people until then?!"

[USS Challenger - Deck 5 - Luigi's Pizzeria - days later... enroute to rift coordinates]

"You can do better than this Lahr!"  Ruth said mockingly still managing to beat him while managing to snake her left hand off the controls to grab a bite of pizza. "And there's me thinking that I had forgotten it all!" she said pulling off a set of button combinations which had her character kung fu kick Lahr's, drop and then do a sweep kick to knock him off his feet then backed up. 

"I suppose it could be worse, Mortal Kombat:Annihilation... I'd be intoning 'FINISH HIM!!!' by now!!" she added with a bit of glee.

[Bridge - USS Challenger - Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be]

When the two 'ships' appeared, Ian had to give it to the Germans on how quickly they responded to the new threat. The two remaining destroyers pivoted to engage one of the new attackers and the Blücher turned to engage the other, leaving the Challenger to face the Tirpiz alone.

"Roll us right side up Mister Ren, I'll nae have the Challenger return ta our own place on her back like a Shanghai whore."

As the ship returned to her normal orientation, Ian had to admit the Nazi battleship was an imposing vessel, she fair bristled with guns and despite her blocky lines, the ship radiated menace.

"Okay Lutjens, tis just you and me now. Mister Nari, full spread of quantums, then followed by every phaser that will bear. Hit them hard and make them weep Mondo!"

Ian glanced at his console to ensure that the angles and the ship's momentum were correct before he gave what he hoped would be the orders that would get them home.

"Mister Ren, slow us ta one quarter impulse, we nae want ta miss our exit window. Mister Nari, keep firin' as we pass the Tirpiz and once they are abaft of us, hit them with a full spread of quantums with the aft torpedoes. Mister ch'Verret, initiate auto-destruct on those probes the instant the torpedoes hit. This is it everyone, we are about ta scarper!"

Remembering what the last trip between dimensions had been like, Ian hit the shipwide to warn the crew.

=/\= "All hands, this is the captain, we are about ta transit dimensions. Make sure you are sittin' or layin' down as we do." =/\=

Ian then issued a final order.

"Computer. Initiate count down timer from my mark for one minute and 15 seconds, broadcast shipwide. Mark."

[Bridge - USS Challenger - Seconds before going thru the rift]

Ruth smiled at the Captain's terminology, inwardly chuckling to herself and agreeing with every word.  It would be good to be back in their dimension, all things being well, and if it was well, celebrating with Lahr when they got off shift.

And the captain was quick on his mind to prep the dauntless crew of the Challenger. A dimensional transit wasn't always guaranteed to be a one-way stop, a single miscue in positional location could spell... complications.

As the captain channeled his crew for a proper que - T'eala began re-sequencing her nav-specs. In the past she used to scoff at her father's "needless" draconian methods in getting precise coordinate inputs. This wasn't something she could afford to over-or-undershoot, with the caveat of sub-lighting back into pace. So her neurons quickly fired of trimetric algebra, a solid foundational tool to help procure the secured jump.

"Jump secure, captain." She spoke as her hands switched conns. Flying came as natural as body language to the locked-in Betazoid. She quickly decelled the Challenger into one quarter impulse as instructed. Captain Galloway had already initiated his count. From here, T'eala knew better than to second guess her instinct or the math behind it. "Steady girl." she muttered to the Challenger herself. Though she was still getting to know the craft, she could quickly feel an innate bond for it.

More of a pilot-thing, than a Betazoid one.

The CSO was grinning like a loon with all the things going on around the Bridge.  Hearing the Betazoid helmswoman talking to the ship had her smiling widely and thinking 'Yes, between Ensign Ren and Richard Litt... and herself and the Captain... they had some very decent and proficient pilots on the ship, and she liked this new one, she 'felt' like a pilot.'

ShranLahr ch'Verret
[Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be - USS Challenger - Bridge - current time - at rift coordinates - in battle]

Lahr was waiting pretty much at the edge of his seat for Ruth to give him the go ahead.   Around them the battle raged, and though Lahr was keeping track of what was happening peripherally, his task at present was to send that message.   It was what was going to get them home so took precedence - at least to the Andorian.  When the order came, Lahr sent out the message with a 30 second countdown.  A moment later he received a distorted acknowledgement back.  "The Tesla acknowledges." he announced, turning to look to Ruth, who had already begun her own countdown. 

Thirty seconds never felt so long.

Then there was the pulse.  The flare was so bright that Lahr automatically raised a hand to shield his eyes - yet couldn't look away.  Please work!

But then Ruth stated that they had another minute forty-five to wait.. with only twenty seconds to make it through.  Talk about a short window of opportunity.   Lahr turned to glance to the new flight officer who was manning Helm in place of Litt.   He'd noticed on a prior shift that the woman pilot had the typical black eyes of a Betazoid and at that moment he hoped his worry about her inexperience wasn't being picked up on because he didn't want that to be the reason she maybe doubted herself, and didn't time the flight right, and instead got them stuck in the Nazi-verse.  That wouldn't be good at all.  So, Lahr forced himself to think positive thoughts.  She could do it!  She could do it!

Mid-mantra the Captain gave out a round of orders.  "Aye sir!"

The Andorian prepped the probe auto-destruct screen.

With expert piloting, the ship flew towards the rift's event horizon, passing the Tirpiz, with phasers firing.   With the Nazi ship behind them now, Lahr split the mainscreen - to show both fore and aft to show.  Lahr watched the torpedos streak away behind towards the Nazi ship.  Wait for it...  wait for it.   Impact!  Lahr activated the probes' self-destruct.

"Thanks Petty Officer!" the CSO said formally, but looked directly at Lahr and winked.  It was sort of code for 'My quarters, celebrations, later!' but only they knew that!

As the computer began it's count, Mondo's fire lashed the Tirpiz with two salvos of quantums and every bearing phaser hammering the Nazi battleship mercilessly. However, the Tirpiz was built to take damage and take the damage she did, but at a cost. By the time the Challenger was past her, the Tirpiz was a mauled wreck with none of her weapons functional and drifting.

Ian listened to the countdown and calculated that there was just enough time to do one last, bit of mischief before they escaped.

"Computer, based on image captured of the target Tirpiz during previous communications, extrapolate location of being known as Admiral Lutjens, lock onto him, drop starboard shields, and beam that individual to the bridge two meters in front of my location."

"Working."

Ian heard the transporter cycle began and as soon as a dumbfounded Lutjens appeared, Ian delivered a waiting roundhouse punch directly onto the German admiral's nose, which audibly broke causing blood to spurt down the front of his uniform.

"Computer. Return Lutjens to the bridge of the Tirpiz and raise starboard shields."

Just as the still startled and bleeding Lutjens arrived on his battered ship, on his viewscreen, he saw the Challenger vanish into some sort of portal within the very fabric of space that rapidly closed behind them. He could only impotently vent his rage at his that rushed to his aid as his prize escaped leaving nothing but wrecked ships in it's wake for him to explain to his unforgiving superiors.

On the Challenger, one second they were in the open starscape of the dimension were Germany won the Second World War, and the next, they were in the swirling chaos of the Sargasso Expanse with the USS Tesla, a Nova-Class scout waiting for them.

Ian looked around the bridge and neither felt, nor saw any of the vivid images like he had when they'd transited dimensions the first time. He was certain there was some science he didn't understand that could explain the difference, but it didn't matter, they were home and were being hailed by the Tesla.

Ruth watched in amazement at what Ian did then when Lutjens was sent back, presumably still still wondering what the hell had just happened, she muttered "Auf erm...noch nie sehen! 1 And Captain, that wasn't very nice or fair..." she paused for the dramatic affect of him momentarily thinking she was being diplomatic and feeling sorry for the Nazi.

"...what if we all wanted to punch him!" she finished chuckling. "Ah well, it's good to be home! All systems showing normal and in our own dimension."

1Trans: Good - never see.  (A play on Auf Wiedersehen which means 'Until see again' literally translated)

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2020, 01:16:33 pm »

Ruth smiled at the Captain's terminology, inwardly chuckling to herself and agreeing with every word.  It would be good to be back in their dimension, all things being well, and if it was well, celebrating with Lahr when they got off shift.

The CSO was grinning like a loon with all the things going on around the Bridge.  Hearing the Betazoid helmswoman talking to the ship had her smiling widely and thinking 'Yes, between Ensign Ren and Richard Litt... and herself and the Captain... they had some very decent and proficient pilots on the ship, and she liked this new one, she 'felt' like a pilot.'

"Thanks Petty Officer!" the CSO said formally, but looked directly at Lahr and winked.  It was sort of code for 'My quarters, celebrations, later!' but only they knew that!

Ruth watched in amazement at what Ian did then when Lutjens was sent back, presumably still still wondering what the hell had just happened, she muttered "Auf erm...noch nie sehen! 1 And Captain, that wasn't very nice or fair..." she paused for the dramatic affect of him momentarily thinking she was being diplomatic and feeling sorry for the Nazi.

"...what if we all wanted to punch him!" she finished chuckling. "Ah well, it's good to be home! All systems showing normal and in our own dimension."

1Trans: Good - never see.  (A play on Auf Wiedersehen which means 'Until see again' literally translated)

[Bridge - USS Challenger - Sargasso Expanse]

Ian gave Ruth the lop sided smile that was the trademark of all pilots and chuckled.

"I suppose that's true Commander, but we were on the clock and if'n you'd all taken a shot, we'd have had ta bring the wanker with us and I'm fair certain no one wanted that."

Offline Vasilisa Belmont

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Given to the SIMM that has survived the roughest storm during the year. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2020, 01:48:26 pm »
[Quote from Ensign Jemason Seo]

[USS Challenger, sickbay, a few days prior...]

The last of the Vulcans had woken up, been checked over, and left. For all their fronts of cold logic, Ensign Seo swore he felt a hint of gratitude from each one.

Days like this made him glad he transferred from Science. Working under the gregarious Commander Sigurdsdottir seemed like a decent gig, at least based on his limited exposure to the woman, but experiments never thanked you once you'd finished.

Tell that to Noonien Soong.

Things were winding down now. The atmosphere was lifting, tensions dissipating. That strange music Seo had been hearing on the edge of his perception had faded. Now was a good time to---

"Ensign Seo," Doctor Belmont walked over, interrupting the reverie. "Care to join me in the Lounge? I'll try to keep work talk to a minimum."

no no no no no no

Jem stuttered over his own thoughts for a second. "I-I can't." What? "Sorry, sir, I've-uhh," Great job, dumbass, now you've got to come up with an excuse. Ain't helping you here. "-got an appointment to keep. On the holodeck. With... myself. Yes."

He spoke almost in monotone, as though reading from a script. With any luck, she'll just think he was tired. Because he was, to be fair.

Sure thing, champ, keep telling yourself that.

"I mean," He softened himself, vocally and physically. His shoulders fell, most noticeably. "I'd love to, but I've had this in the diary for a while now, and you know what it's like to book time these days. Hell, with all of the nonsense of the last day, any free slots will likely get snapped up." With that, the ensign began a beeline for the door. It was fortunate that alpha shift just ended. "Next time, promise."

The sickbay doors open and closed, and nobody had ever exited them faster.

[Sickbay - USS Challenger]

Lisa's eyes widened slightly at Seo's anxiousness. Was she that intimidating? She realized it was probably scary to be addressed by the CMO directly and for such a casual request, but- oh God, did he think she was asking him out? Even if that was what she wanted to do, she couldn't. She was his superior. Ugh. Meeting people was so hard.

"Oh, okay..." she trailed off as Seo practically sprinted out of the room.

NPC Ensign Miammaso Ozoim
[Shuttle Cutty Sark]

When the call had gone out for pilots to take the shuttles out into battle Miammaso had jumped at the opportunity to get out from under the shadow of Lieutenant Litt.   It wasn't that Litt wasn't an amazing pilot he was but that just made the rest of them in flight seem invisible in comparison - or so it seemed to Mia.   

Working together with the Mjolnir and Scobee had been amazing! As they did attack passes over the enemy destroyer and busted through their shields to render the ship scrap metal.  Yet in that last pass, her shuttle got clipped by a lucky shot.  Thankfully it was just a graze, but it had taken out her shields so that when the Bernd von Arnim's engines went up, the Cutty Sark had no protection against the resultant debris that was shot out from the explosion.  Something impacted her shuttle as she tried to flee the blast radius. Mia had been thrown hard against her seat restraints and now her right arm from her shoulder down radiated pain - sharp pain. 

Using her left hand alone, she managed to pilot her way back to the Challenger aided and protected along the way by the Scobee.   Once through the shields, she called on the shuttlebay control to tractor her in.. there was no way she could land safely.   The constant pain was nearly unbearable and had her almost in tears but she refused to give in to that stereotype. 

As she exited her craft she was met by some enthusiastic ground crew who wrapped his arms about to her to give her a celebratory hug.  "No don't touch the shoulder!"

Too late.  The pain in her shoulder flared beyond what she was capable of dealing with and promptly blacked out. 

NPC Crewman Darwin Phelps
[USS Challenger - Shuttlebay]

Darwin heard Mia's warning a second too late to stop his congratulatory embrace.  He'd only wanted to welcome her back after an amazing job out there.  But moments after he squeezes she gave a sharp cry of pain before passing out in his arms.    Struggling awkwardly to lower her down to the deck, Darwin freed a hand and checked for breathing before he tapped his comm badge.   =/\= "Shuttlebay to Sickbay.  One of our shuttle pilots collapsed.  Unconscious but breathing.  Her shuttle took a bit of beating and I think she's been injured though I don't see any blood.  Should I use site to site or can you send someone down here to pick her up?" =/\=

[Sickbay - USS Challenger]

With all the action going on the Bridge, Lisa and her team simply secured all the biobeds and equipment and waited as the ship was rocked around every which way. A few minor injuries showed up, but then Lisa received the comm from Darwin.

=/\=Site to site, please. Belmont out. =/\=

Gathering up a stabilizer and other supplies, Lisa prepared to meet Ozoim.

Ian glanced at his console to ensure that the angles and the ship's momentum were correct before he gave what he hoped would be the orders that would get them home.

"Mister Ren, slow us ta one quarter impulse, we nae want ta miss our exit window. Mister Nari, keep firin' as we pass the Tirpiz and once they are abaft of us, hit them with a full spread of quantums with the aft torpedoes. Mister ch'Verret, initiate auto-destruct on those probes the instant the torpedoes hit. This is it everyone, we are about ta scarper!"

Remembering what the last trip between dimensions had been like, Ian hit the shipwide to warn the crew.

=/\= "All hands, this is the captain, we are about ta transit dimensions. Make sure you are sittin' or layin' down as we do." =/\=

Ian then issued a final order.

"Computer. Initiate count down timer from my mark for one minute and 15 seconds, broadcast shipwide. Mark."

[Once Ozoim arrives...]

Oh good, they figured it out, she thought as she looked at the image on the monitor of Ozoim's arm. With everything locked down already and Ozoim stabilized she did as Galloway ordered and took a seat. She'd get to fixing the arm when it was safe to do so.

Offline Ruth Sigurdsdottir

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • It's clearly illogical.
  • Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Three year award Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2020, 06:34:54 am »
[Bridge - USS Challenger - Sargasso Expanse]

Ian gave Ruth the lop sided smile that was the trademark of all pilots and chuckled.

"I suppose that's true Commander, but we were on the clock and if'n you'd all taken a shot, we'd have had ta bring the wanker with us and I'm fair certain no one wanted that."

Ruth laughed at Ian's reply, nodding.  "OK you're forgiven, but at least let me buy you a drink for it sometime!"

She'd always liked Ian, being a fellow pilot for all she was primarily a 'boffin' these days.  He didn't mess around, he told it straight, but there was always a sort of boyish charm there too.  'The pilot effect' she thought to herself.

"And no Captain, probably best we didn't bring him with us, we would have had to charge admittance fees for the cargo bay so people could come and take a jab at him, and that's not very Starfleet is it?!" the CSO added with a naughty waggle of her eyebrows. 

The stress of the last few days was lifting and it was telling that the crew of the Challenger had pulled together, once again, and come through relatively unscathed.  They'd also seen, at least the Bridge crew had and it wouldn't take long for the news to get right around the ship on the 'bush telegraph' that the Captain wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty, literally, both a brilliant tactician, pilot and with a nice right hook!

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2020, 12:25:14 pm »

Ruth laughed at Ian's reply, nodding.  "OK you're forgiven, but at least let me buy you a drink for it sometime!"

She'd always liked Ian, being a fellow pilot for all she was primarily a 'boffin' these days.  He didn't mess around, he told it straight, but there was always a sort of boyish charm there too.  'The pilot effect' she thought to herself.

"And no Captain, probably best we didn't bring him with us, we would have had to charge admittance fees for the cargo bay so people could come and take a jab at him, and that's not very Starfleet is it?!" the CSO added with a naughty waggle of her eyebrows. 

The stress of the last few days was lifting and it was telling that the crew of the Challenger had pulled together, once again, and come through relatively unscathed.  They'd also seen, at least the Bridge crew had and it wouldn't take long for the news to get right around the ship on the 'bush telegraph' that the Captain wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty, literally, both a brilliant tactician, pilot and with a nice right hook!

Ian shrugged as he replied.

"Technically, me breakin' his nose wasn't Starfleet. I'm sure I'm goin' ta have ta pay the devil for that one, but I'll stand by my decision. However, it seems like the Tesla wants ta talk ta us. On screen."

The viewscreen shifted from the riot of colors of the Expanse to that of a human woman of about 40 with auburn hair as an amazing smile.

"Welcome back Captain. I'm Rebecca Van Den Kolk, USS Tesla. We were in the area when Challenger was reported overdue. You can thank Commander Yost Grenig, my CSO for figuring out what happened and how to communicate with you. I'm just glad we could help. Tell me what was it like wherever it was you ended up?"

Ian scratched his head as he tried to come up with an answer and he could only reply with two words.

"Space Nazis."

"Seriously?"

"Completely, the Third Reich never fell in that dimension. Fortunately for us, thanks to their own racial policies, their scientific progress was hampered by not havin' the wealth of beings the Federation has and it was the difference in our survival. We had ta fight our way out, but we gave them a bloody nose in the process."

Ian managed to keep his expression neutral and continued.

"I'd like it very much if you and your Commander Grenig would have dinner with me tonight. Hell, send over whoever would like ta come over ta try our Lounge or Pizzeria. I ken Novas are a trifle compact for such amenities. Were nae goin' ta be goin' anywhere until we repair some battle damage, so the more the merrier Captain."

"I'd like that very much Captain."

"Please, Ian, I figure anyone that saves me and my crew's arse has earned the right ta call me by my first name. Say 1900?"

"Only if you call me Rebecca."

"Deal, see you then."

Ian then closed the channel and addressed his department heads.

"Okay, let's get ta work on those repairs, but once were back ta status green, I want all personnel you can spare ta get 16 hours of down time. Thank you all everyone. Top notch work as always. I'll be in my ready room. Kyle, you have the bridge."

Ian stood, stretched, and exited the bridge.

Offline ShranLahr ch'Verret

• Veteran Member
  • DJ Lahr is in the House!
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2020, 03:59:36 am »
ShranLahr ch'Verret

Ruth smiled and yawned.  "Coffee, of whatever variety, never seemed to affect me in that way, I mean keeping me awake when I want to sleep.  But does and did keep me awake when I'm on duty, but I have to ask for a 'Waring Blend'... it's a roughly 3 times caffeinated version of the standard which I normally drink however!"

When Lahr seemed to baulk at the thought of marriage and kids, the Viking redhead felt the need to explain.  "And I don't mean right now for the kids and marriage and everything... eventually maybe.  See, I've wanted kids a long time, and well... it's never happened and I'm 29 and a half... it's going to be more difficult for me to have kids the older I get, plus I don't know how things work with the whole you being Andorian and me human... that could take a while to sort out... I mean if we go down that route."

She paused and grinned at his suggestion to have the other guys interested in her over for dinner.  "You know I bet you would be jealous, you'd feel you weren't special anymore, but I don't want them over for dinner, one has spots and the other would bore you to death! As for the 'officialdom' I just meant not hiding it from the crew, or at least letting the Captain and Kyle know, and Grelek and your gang so they don't keep pestering with questions.  You're right about a years mourning the dead is customary, how about we say Christmas then or the New Year if you think we can keep it to a few select people until then?!"

While Lahr knew tolerances to caffeine must be medically possible, he worried a bit.  It didn't seem a good thing to him that her body was that accustomed to caffeine to the point of being able to sleep with it in her system.  On top of that Ruth's description of coffee 3 times as caffeinated as the raktajino she was drinking made him wince.

He'd felt a little uncomfortable at the topic of children, so he was glad when she said she hadn't meant immediately.  That was a relief.  Though Lahr could understand Ruth's explanation of her age.   He knew that humans and Andorian's had a similar life expectancy.  On Andor, he was almost considered past his prime for being a part of a shelthreth.  Unlike the younger generation whose genetics had been tweaked to widen their fertility window, Lahr only had 5 years and he was nearing the end of that.  Given that his genetics would pass on this limited fertility window, Lahr personally felt it was better if he never had kids.  So to have Ruth suggest to have kids.  Hybrids at that, well.. it wasn't something he was prepared to talk about.  Not yet.

That's when he deflected - suggesting to invite the other guys over - hoping to distract her.. and it worked to a certain extent but Ruth turned down the idea, saying that she suspected he would be the jealous type.  Lahr wanted to disagree but she had a point.  He did love to be the center of attention.

Ruth went on to suggest that for the moment - at least until Christmas - they only inform the Captain, the Commander and a few folks who realistically already knew as of this morning.  Lahr wasn't sure if it was such a good idea to inform the Command Team.  The Andorian was concerned since because both he and Ruth worked on the bridge, that the Captain could say 'no way' and force one of them to a different shift or position to ensure there was no drama on the bridge.  But if it made Ruth happy... "Sure, if that's what you would like to do.  We can do that."

ShranLahr ch'Verret

"You can do better than this Lahr!"  Ruth said mockingly still managing to beat him while managing to snake her left hand off the controls to grab a bite of pizza. "And there's me thinking that I had forgotten it all!" she said pulling off a set of button combinations which had her character kung fu kick Lahr's, drop and then do a sweep kick to knock him off his feet then backed up. 

"I suppose it could be worse, Mortal Kombat:Annihilation... I'd be intoning 'FINISH HIM!!!' by now!!" she added with a bit of glee.

Despite getting his butt-whupped Lahr had a grin on from ear to ear.  Ruth was amazing at the game.   He couldn't wait to team up with her against Burke and Helga.

ShranLahr ch'Verret
[Deep Space where the Sargasso Expanse should be - USS Challenger - Bridge - current time - at rift coordinates - after battle]

"Working."

The Andorian had been anticipating some type of vision and quite honestly he was a little disappointed that it hadn't happened this time. 

When the Captain punched the Nazi Admiral, Lahr's mouth had literally dropped. Were Captains allowed to do that? Lahr questioned silently.  Allowed or not, Ian had done so and now they were were headed back to their own dimension.

He had expected some odd visions and such but nothing seemed odd or out of place. 

Ian shrugged as he replied.

"Technically, me breakin' his nose wasn't Starfleet. I'm sure I'm goin' ta have ta pay the devil for that one, but I'll stand by my decision. However, it seems like the Tesla wants ta talk ta us. On screen."

The viewscreen shifted from the riot of colors of the Expanse to that of a human woman of about 40 with auburn hair as an amazing smile.

"Welcome back Captain. I'm Rebecca Van Den Kolk, USS Tesla. We were in the area when Challenger was reported overdue. You can thank Commander Yost Grenig, my CSO for figuring out what happened and how to communicate with you. I'm just glad we could help. Tell me what was it like wherever it was you ended up?"

Ian scratched his head as he tried to come up with an answer and he could only reply with two words.

"Space Nazis."

"Seriously?"

"Completely, the Third Reich never fell in that dimension. Fortunately for us, thanks to their own racial policies, their scientific progress was hampered by not havin' the wealth of beings the Federation has and it was the difference in our survival. We had ta fight our way out, but we gave them a bloody nose in the process."

Ian managed to keep his expression neutral and continued.

"I'd like it very much if you and your Commander Grenig would have dinner with me tonight. Hell, send over whoever would like ta come over ta try our Lounge or Pizzeria. I ken Novas are a trifle compact for such amenities. Were nae goin' ta be goin' anywhere until we repair some battle damage, so the more the merrier Captain."

"I'd like that very much Captain."

"Please, Ian, I figure anyone that saves me and my crew's arse has earned the right ta call me by my first name. Say 1900?"

"Only if you call me Rebecca."

"Deal, see you then."

Ian then closed the channel and addressed his department heads.

"Okay, let's get ta work on those repairs, but once were back ta status green, I want all personnel you can spare ta get 16 hours of down time. Thank you all everyone. Top notch work as always. I'll be in my ready room. Kyle, you have the bridge."

Ian stood, stretched, and exited the bridge.

Lahr sank back into his seat after the Captain left and after a brief... 'can I?' glance towards Kyle?  Lahr put on some celebratory music.

Authorization: Bravo Alpha Delta Alpha Sigma Sigma Six Niner
Lahr's Biography: Andorian chan (male). 5'7" (1.75m)  : Main character
NPC's Lt JG Chloe Davies (Human Female) / Crewman T'Varn (Vulcan transgender)

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2020, 10:55:43 am »
[Captain's Ready Room - USS Challenger - en route to Starbase 54]

Ian had completed and sent his formal report to Starfleet Command of their mission to the Sargasso Expanse and it's follow on events. Once he'd sent transmit, he figured he might as well update his log and put a final statement on what had happened.

"Captain's Log, supplemental. We are en route ta Starbase 54 for repairs as well as ta take on supplies and crew. Overall, I have ta consider this mission a failure. We were tasked ta look into the disappearance of five civilian vessels within the Sargasso Expanse.

"Instead, we found a Breen warship that lobbed a Nova Bomb at us that resulted in the Challenger into another dimension and an encounter with a fleet of Nazi ships of a quadrant where the Third Reich never fell.

"I must commend Petty Officer Second Class Mondo 'li Nari and Ensign T'eala Ren for their actions durin' our ship ta ship actions precipitated by the Nazis; and Commander Ruth Sigurdsdottir for her skill in gettin' us back ta our own dimension.

"I would be remiss if I didn't also commend Commander Yost Grenig, Chief Science Officer of the USS Tesla for his incomparable assistance in our returnin' home. I personally rewarded him with a bottle of single malt for his help, but I also wanted to make sure his tremendous achievement was part of the official record as well.

"Because of their proven competence, the Tesla is goin' ta take over the search for the missin' ships and I certainly believe if'n anyone can, they are the ship that can do so. End Log."

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles