S4: E3 Margin of Error

Started by Ian Galloway, May 18, 2020, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Jacob Sill'ma on June 22, 2020, 03:59:17 PM

[USS Challenger - Bridge - Science Station]

As soon as the captain stopped speaking Jacobs console beeped. In between scanning the nearby sectors of space he did his routine scan of the Cardassian ship. "Sir, the Khranu is launching a shuttle craft. If it stays on its current trajectory it will be entering the planet's atmosphere within the next ten minutes." Jacob said, hitting another button, "their shields are up, I'm unable to detect life signs."

Mr. Sill'ma didn't find anything exciting about the space around them. Five planets made up the Kouri system, one Class T gas giant on the systems rim and the other three being Class D planets, none of them had an atmosphere. There wasn't even an asteroid to be spoken of, Jacob shrugged at that, the gas giant must have caught all of them as they tried to enter the system.

[Bridge - USS Challenger]

Ian's head snapped toward the science station as he jumped from his seat.

"That leam-leat bugger! Mister ch'Verret, hail the Khranu immediately."

Ian tapped his commbadge.

"Shuttlebay. Launch the Mjölnir immediately!"

As he waited for the connection to the commander of the warbird to go through, Ian growled.

"The sayin' is, never turn your back on a Breen, it should be never turn your back on a bloody Romulan."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote from: Kyle Briggs on June 22, 2020, 11:15:56 PM

[Federation Subspace Research Facility --> Ferengi Shuttle]

If looks could kill, the one Kyle gave the Ferengi right now would have dropped him where he stood.

"Really? Tomb raiding? That's low even for a Ferengi." Kyle snapped before turning his attention back to Delius.

"Never done any archeology myself, Commander. But if this new information gives you an idea of what's happening, I agree. We need to get back. Hopefully, the others have been able to find out more as well."
he said.

[Ferengi Shuttle]

"No one complained at the time."

Frump whined as he briefly thought about making a run for it, but figured the Romulan would shoot him before he made it five meters.

[Federation Subspace Research Facility]

Kyle and company returned just as Bailey was threatening to stun Nari and Tragnar again.

"As you were, Lieutenant." Kyle called out a little more angrily than he should have as he approached and turned his attention to Rashar and Kaz.

"You got anything on what happened here yet?" he asked the duo. After getting their reply, he looked over at the confined security officers. "You two have everything out of your systems yet?"

Rasher looked up at Kyle and even through his space suit, it was obvious the doctor was annoyed with the interruption. He replied in an exasperated tone.

"Commander, as I have told everyone that has asked me that question. I've isolated the infectious agent and I am now trying to find the right combination of drugs to combat it, I'm working as fast as I can in this ridiculous suit, but it's going to take more time."

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret
[USS Challenger - Deck 1  - Bridge](in orbit around Kouri-A-4 above Federation Subspace Research Facility]

Quote from: Ian Galloway on June 22, 2020, 01:31:38 PM

Ian hated waiting and since becoming a captain, it seemed like waiting was a major part of the job... and one he hadn't counted on. It was hard sitting still, especially while having to project an air of calm, as others did the job he used to do. At the moment, all there was to do was stare at the Khranu and know that Thelal was staring back at them. It had been two hours since the storm rolled over the research facility and communications were lost. Two very long hours. Not being able to remain quiet any more, Ian spoke to Lahr.

"Well Mister ch'Verret, if'n you liked Brubeck, here's a couple more. 'The Train and the River' by Jimmy Guthrie and 'The In Crowd' by the Ramsey Lewis Trio."

'DJ' Lahr was quick to pick up on the new titles and artists and was adding them to the playlist parameters.
Quote from: Jacob Sill'ma on June 22, 2020, 03:59:17 PM

[USS Challenger - Bridge - Science Station]

As soon as the captain stopped speaking Jacobs console beeped. In between scanning the nearby sectors of space he did his routine scan of the Cardassian ship. "Sir, the Khranu is launching a shuttle craft. If it stays on its current trajectory it will be entering the planet's atmosphere within the next ten minutes." Jacob said, hitting another button, "their shields are up, I'm unable to detect life signs."

Quote from: Ian Galloway on June 23, 2020, 11:48:26 AM

Ian's head snapped toward the science station as he jumped from his seat.

"That leam-leat bugger! Mister ch'Verret, hail the Khranu immediately."

Ian tapped his commbadge.

"Shuttlebay. Launch the Mjölnir immediately!"

As he waited for the connection to the commander of the warbird to go through, Ian growled.

"The sayin' is, never turn your back on a Breen, it should be never turn your back on a bloody Romulan."

The Andorian's antenna swiveled to his console hearing Sill'ma's statement.  Sure enough they had launched a shuttlecraft. Roohz! One moments distraction while he was playing DJ and that's when the Romulans make their move!

The Captain's orders were quickly complied with.  "Channel open, sir."

Soon the bemused face of the Romulan was on the Challenger's front screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NPC Crewman Helga Tragnar
[Kouri-A-4 - Research Facility - Level 1]

Quote from: Ian Galloway on June 22, 2020, 01:31:38 PM

Doctor Rasher looked up when he realized that Helga was shouting at him and replied in a guarded tone.

"It's still early Crewman. I've taken blood samples from all of you and I do see you all have the same infectious agent in your bloodstreams. The more difficult part is finding a drug that can combat that agent. I understand that it is unpleasant to have to wait, but there is no other answer."

Helga growled at the doctor's answer.   There had to be something she could do to release this all this pent up aggression she was feeling.  But that was when Kyle returned.

"You got anything on what happened here yet?" he asked the duo. After getting their reply, he looked over at the confined security officers. "You two have everything out of your systems yet?"

Quote from: Ian Galloway on June 23, 2020, 11:48:26 AM

Rasher looked up at Kyle and even through his space suit, it was obvious the doctor was annoyed with the interruption. He replied in an exasperated tone.

"Commander, as I have told everyone that has asked me that question. I've isolated the infectious agent and I am now trying to find the right combination of drugs to combat it, I'm working as fast as I can in this ridiculous suit, but it's going to take more time."

The Commander's question was rather a ridiculous one, given her agitated state, but if he was going to ask and give her the opportunity to be free of the restraints she'd lie and say 'yes'.

Except she was aware enough to know if she spoke it would come out a growl, so she looked down to the floor to disguise her rage-filled eyes as an apologetic gesture and merely nodded.

She remained head bowed, luring him closer - to release her.  Planning for when he got close enough to take out her anger on him instead of Nari. 

Authorization: Bravo Alpha Delta Alpha Sigma Sigma Six Niner
Lahr's Biography: Andorian chan (male). 5'7" (1.75m)  : Main character
NPC's Lt JG Chloe Davies (Human Female) / Crewman T'Varn (Vulcan transgender)

Ian Galloway

Quote from: ShranLahr ch'Verret on June 24, 2020, 03:20:08 AM

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret
[USS Challenger - Deck 1  - Bridge](in orbit around Kouri-A-4 above Federation Subspace Research Facility]

'DJ' Lahr was quick to pick up on the new titles and artists and was adding them to the playlist parameters.

The Andorian's antenna swiveled to his console hearing Sill'ma's statement.  Sure enough they had launched a shuttlecraft. Roohz! One moments distraction while he was playing DJ and that's when the Romulans make their move!

The Captain's orders were quickly complied with.  "Channel open, sir."

Soon the bemused face of the Romulan was on the Challenger's front screen.

When Thelal's smirking visage appeared on the viewscreen, Ian's first inclination was to point out the flaws in the Romulan's family tree and personal habits, but he restrained himself with a terse.

"Do you care to explain yourself Commader?"

Thelal's smirk only became more pronounced when he replied.

"I would have thought it obvious Captain. As my men reported that yours beamed down without isolation suits, it is likely your away team is in the middle of killing each other by now. As I have an obligation to ensure my crew is safe, I am sending down reinforcements to make sure that your maddened personnel aren't attacking mine. Now if that doesn't meet with your approval, I'm certain we can come to less civilized means to address any issues you might have."

"As you are the one in Federation space without authorization, you will have more to answer for than I do. I was just sending down some reinforcements of my own, so do make sure your people know they are coming, I'd hate for there to be any misunderstandings."

As Ian was speaking formally, his Standard was free from any of his usual Highland burr. He wanted to be certain their would no accusation of miscommunication during the inquiry that would follow any fight between the Challenger and the Khranu.

"I'm glad we understand each other Captain. Khranu out."

Ian stared hard at the viewscreen as it returned to the view of the Romulan warbird. Ian hated what he had to do next, but it was the only option regulations left him.

"Mister ch'Verret, sound red alert. Mister T'Kel, do not arm weapons, no need ta provoke a fight. I just want ta be fully ready should there be one."

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Quote from: Ian Galloway on June 24, 2020, 10:39:20 PM

When Thelal's smirking visage appeared on the viewscreen, Ian's first inclination was to point out the flaws in the Romulan's family tree and personal habits, but he restrained himself with a terse.

"Do you care to explain yourself Commander?"

Thelal's smirk only became more pronounced when he replied.

"I would have thought it obvious Captain. As my men reported that yours beamed down without isolation suits, it is likely your away team is in the middle of killing each other by now. As I have an obligation to ensure my crew is safe, I am sending down reinforcements to make sure that your maddened personnel aren't attacking mine. Now if that doesn't meet with your approval, I'm certain we can come to less civilized means to address any issues you might have."

"As you are the one in Federation space without authorization, you will have more to answer for than I do. I was just sending down some reinforcements of my own, so do make sure your people know they are coming, I'd hate for there to be any misunderstandings."

As Ian was speaking formally, his Standard was free from any of his usual Highland burr. He wanted to be certain their would no accusation of miscommunication during the inquiry that would follow any fight between the Challenger and the Khranu.

"I'm glad we understand each other Captain. Khranu out."

Ian stared hard at the viewscreen as it returned to the view of the Romulan warbird. Ian hated what he had to do next, but it was the only option regulations left him.

"Mister ch'Verret, sound red alert. Mister T'Kel, do not arm weapons, no need ta provoke a fight. I just want ta be fully ready should there be one."

While the Captain spoke with the Romulan Commander, Lahr assisted with the launch of the shuttle Galloway had ordered.   Having the shuttlecraft and security team prepped in advance, it took under a minute to have the shuttle on its way.

And good thing too, no sooner had the Captain closed the connection with the Romulan than he was calling on bringing the ship's status up to Red.  Albeit without weapons.

"Aye sir.  Taking the ship to Red Alert."

With that done Lahr informed the Captain of the shuttles successful launch.  "The second away team is underway and should be approaching the facility in 8 minutes."

Because of their position directly above the facility, this would put the shuttle down on the planet ahead of the Romulans by 2 minutes. 

Vasilisa Belmont

Quote from: Ian Galloway on June 19, 2020, 09:47:27 AM

Once her percussive maintenance allowed her access to the computer, Leela found all the entries orderly and logical until about ten hours ago, then what few entries there were stopped making sense. The security feed from Ops showed fights breaking out among the crew, then there was a violent battle with others storming the control room before the cameras were destroyed.

The security feed from the rest of the station showed pretty much the same thing throughout the facility, but nothing out of the ordinary. There were no overt attacks, nothing wrong with the environmental controls, and no accidents in any of the labs. In fact, the labs didn't show any form of biological research at the facility at all.

One thing the security cameras did show was Frump arriving with a small crate on an anti-grav sled. The Ferengi was met by Dr. Farys, the man in charge of the facility, and the two discussing a 'fair price'. Eventually, a small satchel went into Frump's hand and Farys took control of the crate.

Whatever happened at the facility started happening within six hours of this exchange. However, because of all the damage to the security cameras and the computer itself, what exactly was the cause of the disturbance was not apparent.

[Research Facility]

Food had been found. Admittedly there wasn't much of it as the replicators weren't working and Lisa didn't feel like searching for more rations than the pile she found in the inventory cupboard, but it was enough at least to halt her pounding headache. After she helped bring it all back to the others and procured some water to drink, she found the strength to inject herself with some painkillers and waited a handful of minutes for the effects to set in. Once that happened she was beginning to feel much better, though she was still more than a little annoyed with their situation. At least now she could think straight. When she was done getting rations to people who needed them she returned to the area she'd been holed up in before. It looked like Kaz was making progress, and Rasher could be getting closer to isolating the infection. She'd have to inspect closer to find out.

"Okay, now that I've become a bit more useful, anyone need my help or have anything useful to show me?" Usually she'd be the one taking charge, but now that her head was much clearer than before, she realized that it was probably a good idea not to assert her leadership just yet in case her colleagues were still on edge. Since she was still on square one where the virus was concerned, having only experienced it without studying it, she'd be asking a lot of potentially annoying questions. Better to be following orders than giving them for now.

Kyle Briggs

[Research Facility]

Kyle only made it a few steps toward Tragnar before he heard Rashar yell.

"STOP!!"

Kyle turned and gave the doctor a questionable look.

"My apologies, Sir. I haven't been able to determine exactly what happened here but with the blood work I have ran, I can assure you the virus, or what ever it is, has not ran its complete course." the medical officer said.

Kyle glanced back at Tragnar and wondered what she would have done had he released her.

"Very well." he said as he walked over to Rashar.

Quote from: Vasilisa Belmont on June 26, 2020, 02:32:59 PM

"Okay, now that I've become a bit more useful, anyone need my help or have anything useful to show me?" Usually she'd be the one taking charge, but now that her head was much clearer than before, she realized that it was probably a good idea not to assert her leadership just yet in case her colleagues were still on edge. Since she was still on square one where the virus was concerned, having only experienced it without studying it, she'd be asking a lot of potentially annoying questions. Better to be following orders than giving them for now.

"Glad you seem a bit better, Doctor." he said to Belmont. "Well. We were able to get some information from our trader friend here. Apparently, he raided some Romulan tomb and may have released some sort of ancient Romulan disease. I'll let Delius explain."

He gave the Romulan a nod and took a step back to give him space. As Delius spoke, he turned and looked at Tragnar and Nari. He could feel the anger coursing through him but it felt like it was more toward the situation and not being able to help his crew than anger at someone specific.

Mondo'li Nari

Subspace Research Facility

Mondo seemed more sad than angry at this point.  Memories of recent sins intermingled with the sins of days past.  Hopeful choices that turned out to be mistakes with dark consequences.  He wondered if they would echo throughout the rest of his life at regular intervals.

"I do feel like myself, again.  But I also understand why one would wish to be cautious.

I regret to say I antagonized an underling and provoked an attack.

Perhaps there is a medical reason, but the shame of it is like a cloud over me."

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Lahr watched the shuttle's progress for as long as possible until it was swallowed by the dust storm.

"At last signal, the Mjolnir was two minutes out from the facility.. with the Romulan's two minutes behind her." he updated the Captain, his antenna writhing worriedly.

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on June 26, 2020, 10:53:25 PM

[Research Facility]

"STOP!!"

"My apologies, Sir. I haven't been able to determine exactly what happened here but with the blood work I have ran, I can assure you the virus, or what ever it is, has not ran its complete course." the medical officer said.

Kyle glanced back at Tragnar and wondered what she would have done had he released her.

"Glad you seem a bit better, Doctor." he said to Belmont. "Well. We were able to get some information from our trader friend here. Apparently, he raided some Romulan tomb and may have released some sort of ancient Romulan disease. I'll let Delius explain."

He gave the Romulan a nod and took a step back to give him space. As Delius spoke, he turned and looked at Tragnar and Nari. He could feel the anger coursing through him but it felt like it was more toward the situation and not being able to help his crew than anger at someone specific.

Quote from: Mondo'li Nari on June 27, 2020, 12:39:05 AM

Subspace Research Facility

Mondo seemed more sad than angry at this point.  Memories of recent sins intermingled with the sins of days past.  Hopeful choices that turned out to be mistakes with dark consequences.  He wondered if they would echo throughout the rest of his life at regular intervals.

"I do feel like myself, again.  But I also understand why one would wish to be cautious.

I regret to say I antagonized an underling and provoked an attack.

Perhaps there is a medical reason, but the shame of it is like a cloud over me."

Helga just barely contained her snarl as the stupid doctor intervened and stopped the Commander from releasing.   "He's lying! I'm fine! Release me!!" she shouted in fury.  She was all but shaking with the need to vent and release her anger on something or someone.  She tested the strength of her bindings, straining to free herself.

As she do so, she heard Nari bemoan the shame of his having fought her.  The one time the Hupyrian was of interest and he felt shame over it!  She scoffed and strained that much harder.  If she could only free herself she'd put the miserable wretch out of his misery!

Then the Romulan sub-lieutenant commented about this being an ancient Romulan virus.  Like hell she was infected by such a thing!

[Research Facility]

"Okay, now that I've become a bit more useful, anyone need my help or have anything useful to show me?"

The Klingon hybrid looked towards the returning medic in agitation.   "Release me..!" she growled.

In the distant background, barely heard due to Helga's growls and shouting, a repetitive banging sounded.   bangbangband Bang Bang Bang bangbangbang....

Ian Galloway

[Research Facility]

Food had been found. Admittedly there wasn't much of it as the replicators weren't working and Lisa didn't feel like searching for more rations than the pile she found in the inventory cupboard, but it was enough at least to halt her pounding headache. After she helped bring it all back to the others and procured some water to drink, she found the strength to inject herself with some painkillers and waited a handful of minutes for the effects to set in. Once that happened she was beginning to feel much better, though she was still more than a little annoyed with their situation. At least now she could think straight. When she was done getting rations to people who needed them she returned to the area she'd been holed up in before. It looked like Kaz was making progress, and Rasher could be getting closer to isolating the infection. She'd have to inspect closer to find out.

As Rasher went through what Kaz had found, Lisa looked over his shoulder. Clearly the CMO of the facility had some sort of dealing with Frump and it seemed like after the transaction occurred, Doctor Farys headed immediately to his office.

[Research Facility]

"STOP!!"

Delius seemed surprised that Kyle would yield the floor to him, but he cleared his throat and began to speak.

"It is only supposition, but it is not uncommon for old tombs to contain bacteria that is otherwise extinct in an environment. As more modern humanoids have never be exposed to this bacteria, there is no immunity to it and it seems that the source of what happened on Athay IV was due to the actions of this Ferengi. We will take him into custody and he will face the proper punishment."

Although Delius didn't directly state he no longer held the Federation responsible, what he didn't say spoke volumes, as did his gesture to his men which caused two of them to move to apprehend Frump.

This in turn terrified the Ferengi who began to emit a high-pitched keening wail that only one of their species could manage and he squeaked.

"Commander! Don't let them take me!"

Vasilisa Belmont

[Research Facility]

"STOP!!"

Quote from: Ian Galloway on June 27, 2020, 04:05:55 PM

As Rasher went through what Kaz had found, Lisa looked over his shoulder. Clearly the CMO of the facility had some sort of dealing with Frump and it seemed like after the transaction occurred, Doctor Farys headed immediately to his office.

Delius seemed surprised that Kyle would yield the floor to him, but he cleared his throat and began to speak.

"It is only supposition, but it is not uncommon for old tombs to contain bacteria that is otherwise extinct in an environment. As more modern humanoids have never be exposed to this bacteria, there is no immunity to it and it seems that the source of what happened on Athay IV was due to the actions of this Ferengi. We will take him into custody and he will face the proper punishment."

Although Delius didn't directly state he no longer held the Federation responsible, what he didn't say spoke volumes, as did his gesture to his men which caused two of them to move to apprehend Frump.

This in turn terrified the Ferengi who began to emit a high-pitched keening wail that only one of their species could manage and he squeaked.

"Commander! Don't let them take me!"

[Research Facility]

As Lisa was brought up to speed she noticed the lingering anger in the people around her and hoped that she would be able to keep a level head. She listened to the various updates from Briggs and Delius and skimmed the information from the computer, finally beginning to understand the full picture. Ignoring the yelping Ferengi, she turned to Rasher, questions running through her head but once again maintaining her restraint.

"You're the only one I trust completely right now, so I need ALL the details. What do we know and what do we need to do first? I also think we should question this Ferengi alone if we're ever given a chance" she spoke the last bit under her breath so only Rasher could hear. She didn't know if she could believe Delius, or Frump for that matter. But from what she saw on the computer, the Ferengi and Dr. Farys seemed to be the key to finding the source. That meant all she had was the words of someone with next to no knowledge of how diseases work and a few log recordings. She could work with that, though it would be a challenge. She'd also need to return to Dr. Fary's office at some point to look for more clues there. She assumed Rasher would be thinking along the same lines.

As she spoke she looked to Briggs, willing him to do something about the Romulans before they took away a valuable piece to the puzzle.

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Vasilisa Belmont on June 27, 2020, 07:04:56 PM

[Research Facility]

As Lisa was brought up to speed she noticed the lingering anger in the people around her and hoped that she would be able to keep a level head. She listened to the various updates from Briggs and Delius and skimmed the information from the computer, finally beginning to understand the full picture. Ignoring the yelping Ferengi, she turned to Rasher, questions running through her head but once again maintaining her restraint.

"You're the only one I trust completely right now, so I need ALL the details. What do we know and what do we need to do first? I also think we should question this Ferengi alone if we're ever given a chance" she spoke the last bit under her breath so only Rasher could hear. She didn't know if she could believe Delius, or Frump for that matter. But from what she saw on the computer, the Ferengi and Dr. Farys seemed to be the key to finding the source. That meant all she had was the words of someone with next to no knowledge of how diseases work and a few log recordings. She could work with that, though it would be a challenge. She'd also need to return to Dr. Fary's office at some point to look for more clues there. She assumed Rasher would be thinking along the same lines.

As she spoke she looked to Briggs, willing him to do something about the Romulans before they took away a valuable piece to the puzzle.

Rasher nodded as Lisa spoke and replied in a similar quiet tone.

"All I can tell you Doctor is that based on the blood samples I've taken, you are all infected and it is only a matter of time before the rage takes over. I have isolated the virus, but with such limited equipment and this damn suit, my progress is non-existent.

"As for the Ferengi, it seems like we know how the virus was released and brought here. I sincerely doubt that he knows anything of use at this point."

ShranLahr ch'Verret

PO1 ShranLahr ch'Verret

Lahr counted down the minutes until the shuttle should have landed - assuming no delays due to the sandstorm.   Unfortunately they would not hear anything back from them for hours yet!

Returning his attention to his console he checked again on the Romulan warbird.  No change.  This waiting was aggravating.  The Andorian's agitation was easily seen by how his antenna twitched as they swiveled back and forth constantly, scanning his environment.

Even the music wasn't helping any more and in a half hours time when the set playlist came to an end... there would be only silence.

In the distant background, barely heard due to Helga's growls and shouting, a repetitive banging sounded.   bangbangband Bang Bang Bang bangbangbang....

Helga grew more and more incomprehensible in her agitation, whatever this virus was it seemed particularly potent in the Klingon hybrid.

The banging continued in its same repeated pattern.

Vasilisa Belmont

Quote from: Ian Galloway on June 29, 2020, 05:29:21 PM

Rasher nodded as Lisa spoke and replied in a similar quiet tone.

"All I can tell you Doctor is that based on the blood samples I've taken, you are all infected and it is only a matter of time before the rage takes over. I have isolated the virus, but with such limited equipment and this damn suit, my progress is non-existent.

"As for the Ferengi, it seems like we know how the virus was released and brought here. I sincerely doubt that he knows anything of use at this point."

[Research Facility]

"Okay, so not much to go on. Sure glad we called him over here," Lisa thought to herself as she listened to Rasher.

"So. We're dealing with an ancient Romulan rage disease that apparently isn't common knowledge," she said aloud. "Sure glad we don't have any Vulcans on the team." She chuckled to herself but quickly shut her mouth when Rasher didn't join in. "I kinda wish we could ask this Delius guy for more information about it, but he doesn't seem like the sharing type. Why don't we go to the CMO's office? Dr. Farys, was it? Maybe we can find out more there. We know the effects and you have it isolated, but we need to know the source if we're going to stop it from progressing."

She cringed as her temples seemed to pulse with the beginnings of a tension headache. "Looks like hunger wasn't my only problem," she groaned. "Keep an eye on me and if I start acting abnormally do not hesitate to restrain me. I don't know what I would do, but I don't want to take any chances with you being the only one able to keep a level head." As she spoke she began heading in the direction of Farys' office.

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Vasilisa Belmont on June 30, 2020, 03:51:51 PM

[Research Facility]

"Okay, so not much to go on. Sure glad we called him over here," Lisa thought to herself as she listened to Rasher.

"So. We're dealing with an ancient Romulan rage disease that apparently isn't common knowledge," she said aloud. "Sure glad we don't have any Vulcans on the team." She chuckled to herself but quickly shut her mouth when Rasher didn't join in. "I kinda wish we could ask this Delius guy for more information about it, but he doesn't seem like the sharing type. Why don't we go to the CMO's office? Dr. Farys, was it? Maybe we can find out more there. We know the effects and you have it isolated, but we need to know the source if we're going to stop it from progressing."

She cringed as her temples seemed to pulse with the beginnings of a tension headache. "Looks like hunger wasn't my only problem," she groaned. "Keep an eye on me and if I start acting abnormally do not hesitate to restrain me. I don't know what I would do, but I don't want to take any chances with you being the only one able to keep a level head." As she spoke she began heading in the direction of Farys' office.

When Lisa reached Farys' office, it was immediately apparent that he dabbled in archeology going by the many antiquities that adorned the room. In the corner was the crate observed on the security footage. Not being an expert herself, Lisa had no idea on the origin of the artifacts, but they were obviously very old. This was proof that either the artifacts or Frump were the carriers of the virus.

What followed next was a rapid series of revelations that began with Lisa relaying what she'd found in the CMO's office. The Romulans decided Frump was more trouble than he was worth and chose to recover the stolen antiquities. When their shuttle arrived, Delius and his men, along with the crate, all headed back to the Khranu.

While this was going on, Rasher figured out the lifespan of the virus, which turned out to be ten hours. All it would take for the away team to survive exposure was to not kill each other during that time. When the Mjölnir arrived, the added security swept through the facility with phasers set on heavy stun. In less than an hour, the entire surviving population of the facility, 89 of 137 personnel, were stunned and sedated.

It turned out, the virus was not lethal, every member of the facility was dead at the hands of someone else enraged by the virus, not the virus itself. Once this was apparent, Dr Rasher sedated the away team, and with the help of the reinforcements brought in by the Delta Flyer, ensured their safety until the virus ran its course.

By this time the storm had passed and with the information on the virus added to the transporters biofilter, the away team was beamed back to the ship. After a further secondary decontamination, Dr Rasher gave everyone a clean bill of health.

The senior survivor of the facility, a Doctor Janice Flynn, thanked the Challenger for their assistance in repairing the damage done by the enraged staff, to include repairing their subspace transmitter. With the mystery solved, and the facility back in operation, there was no further reason for the Challenger to remain on station. She would however be carrying the bodies of the 48 personnel killed during their exposure to the virus. However, before she broke orbit, the Challenger received a message from Commander Thelal of the Khranu.

"This is twice you have interfered with me Captain, the next time, will be the last time."

And with that, the Khranu cloaked and headed back to Romulan space.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.