Author Topic: A Breath of Fresh Air (Judy, Saya, et. al.)  (Read 12122 times)

Offline Ozu Saya

• Chief Engine-Ears
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Ozu Saya
  • Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Breath of Fresh Air (Judy, Saya, et. al.)
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2020, 06:34:59 pm »
[Trail]

I don't believe I have. Baseball games, yes, but not a movie. And baseball games almost need commentary for those of us who do not understand the game.

After a few more minutes of walking, Saya paused and stretched her back. Could we stop for a few minutes? I'm getting a bit of a stitch in my hip. It's been too long since I have done so much physical activity in a short stretch of time.

Kyo came up beside her with a concerned look as she attempted to twist and stretch to ease the painful socket.

Vulcan-Bajoran Hybrid; 5'2"
Domen Kyo: Bajoran; 6'6"
George Hugo: Human; 6'6"
Eviess Aihai Annhw: Romulan-Human Hybrid; 5'

Offline Judith Eastman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Loyal Member
  • Literally Heartless
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2020, 09:27:21 pm »
[Trail]

Judy looked at Saya with a bit of concern.
"Yes, we can stop," she said. "If you want to, we can sit on that tree."

She led them on a brief backtrack and sat on top of the fallen tree trunk herself.
"You know, Max actually has a technique he uses on my hip. I'm not sure what the basis to it is, but it seems to work on my particular pains," she then suggested.
"It's about applying warmth and pressure with your hands,"
he explained. "I just squeeze a little, until I find a spot that feels right. I just happen to know Judy's body very well, so she believes I'm a magician."
He left it open to doing the job himself, but also opened it so Kyo, or Judy, or Saya herself, could do it. He got the impression that she hadn't quite accepted him into the inner circle yet, and he understood that.
Academy Civilian Instructor

"I promised, but I never promised to keep the promise" - Levi Eshkol

Offline Ozu Saya

• Chief Engine-Ears
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Ozu Saya
  • Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2020, 09:56:12 am »
[Trail]

Saya followed Judy to the tree and tried to sit, but immediately twisted to ease her hip, grimacing as she tried to find a comfortable position.

Um, perhaps, she said in a strained voice, glancing up at Kyo. The joint feels...overly loose, almost as if it might try to pop out of the socket with all the extra exertion.

I can try, he said immediately. He approached the fallen tree and sat so that he could reach Saya's hip more easily. Maybe stand here, he suggested, pointing right next to him. Max, would you give me some guidance?

As Saya moved into position, Kyo gently cupped the outside of her hip, his large hand spanning a rather large area on his mate's small body. Pressure where, exactly?

Offline Judith Eastman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Loyal Member
  • Literally Heartless
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2020, 02:12:44 pm »
[Trail]

Judy looked over at Saya as she described it.
"That sounds like the opposite of my problems," she said, concerned. "And if it's that bad, it might be quite serious."
She'd learned not to trust folk remedies, even when they felt good, when the stakes seemed high.
"Max, can you grab the tricorder?"

Max complied, getting a medical tricorder out of Judy's backpack. It was calibrated for cardiac scans, but Judy promptly put on her specs and changed the setting.
"Oh, yes. This is the exact opposite problem to what I get," she diagnosed. "You should sit down, avoid too much moving, and let's see if we can innovate something to support you."

She stroked her chin for a moment, and then melodramatically whipped off her jacket.
"Let's tie this around your right side, just in case," she suggested, holding the garment by the sleeves. She was a little chilly, but that was of secondary importance right now.

Offline Ozu Saya

• Chief Engine-Ears
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Ozu Saya
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2020, 02:54:16 pm »
[Trail]

Saya blinked once, raised an eyebrow at Judy and said mildly, Judy... I do appreciate your concern, but I don't believe it's that serious. Just a little soreness and looser feeling than I'm accustomed to. Perhaps I should have taken more care with my description.

Kyo had had half a moment of panic when Judy reacted so strongly, but Saya's quick assurance calmed him. He trusted Saya not to over- or underplay how she felt, especially in a circumstance where getting medical assistance might be difficult. So he went with the original plan and wrapped his hand over the top of Saya's hip joint and applied gentle pressure.

She put one hand on Kyo's shoulder for balance and leaned into his hand. It really was an odd feeling, what her hip was doing, but Saya felt that she just needed to rest it for a few minutes and perhaps change her stride slightly. She was used to having to force longer steps to keep up with others; she'd just have to go back to her normal pace.

Offline Judith Eastman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Loyal Member
  • Literally Heartless
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2020, 06:01:48 pm »
[Trail]

Judy flushed slightly red with embarrassment. With her past as CMO, general broad knowledge and experience, and titles, sometimes she herself forgot she wasn't a physician.
"Yes, of course," she backed up verbally as she put the jacket back on, and then sat back down.

"In any case, you can set the pace from now on, and if you want to use one of the hiking sticks, we can improvise a solution for me."

Judy sat back up on the tree trunk, and Max joined her again.

"Let's wait a few minutes and see how you're doing," Max suggested.

Offline Ozu Saya

• Chief Engine-Ears
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Ozu Saya
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2020, 09:00:59 am »
[Trail]

Thank you. I truly do appreciate your concern. I hadn't considered that my usual, artificially long stride might cause me an issue with my body changing.

After a couple of minutes, Saya patted Kyo's shoulder and stepped out of his grip, perching on the log next to him. I don't want to take one of your hiking sticks. Perhaps we can find a fallen branch that I can use? She peered around into the underbrush to either side of the trail, noticing a couple of possibilities within a short distance.

I can find one, Kyo volunteered, standing. Should only take a few minutes.

Offline Judith Eastman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Loyal Member
  • Literally Heartless
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2020, 01:22:01 pm »
[Trail]

"You could," Judy answered as she wrapped an arm around Max, while he took out water bottles from the backpack.

After a few minutes, they were ready to roll again.

"Saya, you can go ahead and lead us, at your own pace. There's going to be a fork about... half an hour down, we'll stay left there, but we can play that by ear when we get there."

With that, Judy hopped off the tree trunk, and Max joined her.
"It's unusual, not being the weak link," she observed jokingly. "I've gotten far too used to being an invalid."

Offline Ozu Saya

• Chief Engine-Ears
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Ozu Saya
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2020, 09:06:32 pm »
[Trail]

Saya drank some water as well while Kyo did some poking about in the brush along the sides of the trail. He returned triumphant a few minutes later with two bare branches - one about five feet in height with a few knotty bumps along it's length, the other was a little shorter, but straighter, though it had a few smaller branches still shooting off it.

After testing both, Saya chose the shorter of the branches, quickly stripping the extra arms before she stood and took the lead as indicated, moving at a slightly slower pace than they had been previously, her stride at a more natural length for her height.

Enjoy the sensation, Saya said teasingly. Though it sounds as if you have been doing quite well since your heart transplant.

Offline Judith Eastman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Loyal Member
  • Literally Heartless
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2020, 10:07:57 pm »
[Trail]

"I have been doing better," Judy answered. "It's like getting a second wind. I feel more energetic now, at 60, than I did at 40, as much as my joints disagree."

Granted, her overall position in life was better here at 60 than it had been then, but that was beside the point.

"I've seen the change in her for sure," Max agreed. "Judy is more energized now when we do the dishes than she usually was when we planned our wedding."

Soon enough, they emerged from the edge of the forest onto a sunlit meadow, their trail briefly descending gently for a ways before climbing out of the meadow slightly steeply. It was at the start of the downward slope that Judy stopped.

"I want you to look at this meadow right now, and imagine what this will look like when sheep, cows, and goats graze here, very soon," she instructed, almost in a meditative way. "They're coming tomorrow."

Offline Ozu Saya

• Chief Engine-Ears
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Ozu Saya
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2020, 10:09:48 am »
[Trail]

And I am rapidly losing energy most days, Saya said ruefully. But other than that and the ridiculous sneezing, my health has been quite good. No difficulties because of my unique physiology.

When they stopped at the meadow, Saya let out a sigh of appreciation.

Wow, Kyo voiced his awe. This is gorgeous. Seems almost a shame to turn animals loose on it, though I know it's beneficial.

He stepped close to Saya and wrapped an arm around her as they stared out at the open space.

Offline Judith Eastman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Loyal Member
  • Literally Heartless
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2020, 11:24:18 am »
[Trail]

Judy chuckled.
"Au contraire, Kyo darling. I think animals would enhance the beauty," she commented as she motioned for them to continue the tour.
"Sheep especially are very picturesque, at least from the right distance. They look like little clouds," Max added, bringing his artist's perspective.
"There's actually a term for the distance where sheep are still picturesque. It's called a Sheppey," Judy had to add further.
She looked over at Kyo, and especially Saya, not sure how much exposure the young woman had to livestock.

Offline Ozu Saya

• Chief Engine-Ears
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Ozu Saya
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2020, 06:39:56 pm »
[Trail]

Kyo borrowed Saya's usual expression and raised an eyebrow at Judy. I guess most of my experience with animals on the 'farm' as it were, was chasing a herd of lopp out of the orachard once when I was a child.

You do not want animals eating all the kava.

But I suppose I can see how it could be picturesque.

Saya also gave Judy a bit of side-eye. I have only ever heard of sheep described as rather dirty creatures, but I confess that I have no direct experience with them.

Offline Judith Eastman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Loyal Member
  • Literally Heartless
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2020, 08:21:40 pm »
[Trail]

"You could get some exposure to them tomorrow," Max offered as they headed onwards. "We're planning to be there personally when they release them into the pasture, if you want to join us."

"You don't have to come up close to the animals," Judy added helpfully as they approached the lowest part of the trail. "Anyway, Saya, are you ready to climb that? Would you like a little help?"

It was a serious slope, the second-steepest of the trail.

Offline Ozu Saya

• Chief Engine-Ears
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Ozu Saya
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2020, 10:19:52 am »
[Trail]

I wouldn't mind seeing it, Kyo said with a shrug. I don't think I've ever seen sheeps in person.

I believe I will reserve making any plans for tomorrow until I see how I feel, Saya said, eyeing the ascending trail. I believe I will be fine. She patted her walking stick. This is helping a great deal, and the slower pace has as well.

She stepped forward onto the steep path, using the stick for support and making sure there was nothing underfoot to cause her to turn an ankle or slip.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles