Author Topic: Shadow Fleet Attention to Orders  (Read 4422 times)

Archangel Koris

Re: Shadow Fleet Attention to Orders
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 12:49:57 pm »
Since JK left, John and I took over. But even though there are two of us, and we conferred on all decisions, there were still rumours of us JK-ing and abusing our powers.

So we decided, sod it. We'll bring in a Committee to finalise our decisions, and to hold us accountable.

The Committee deals with Fleet matters, like if there are new rules or a change to the Academy/Joining system. The individual SIMM commanders still manage matters about their SIMMs.

Ey?!  You need a committee to finalise your decisions?  You're at the top of the hierarchy here!  Are you going to let the horse mess around as he pleases, or are you going to pick up the reins and start taking control?  As for holding you accountable, I think everyone on the Fleet does that on a daily basis.  It's called feedback.

There are always going to be people who think you're abusing power, that's a normal part of being in the driving seat.  The key is not to listen to it while it's only a few people.  When it starts being the vast majority of people, then you have a problem.  That's when the peasants start coming around and trying to chop your head off... or was that the French Revolution?

I'm sorry that I've been quite rude here.  I can't find a different way of phrasing it.

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 12:52:45 pm »
Ey?!  You need a committee to finalise your decisions?  You're at the top of the hierarchy here!  Are you going to let the horse mess around as he pleases, or are you going to pick up the reins and start taking control?  As for holding you accountable, I think everyone on the Fleet does that on a daily basis.  It's called feedback.

There are always going to be people who think you're abusing power, that's a normal part of being in the driving seat.  The key is not to listen to it while it's only a few people.  When it starts being the vast majority of people, then you have a problem.  That's when the peasants start coming around and trying to chop your head off... or was that the French Revolution?

I'm sorry that I've been quite rude here.  I can't find a different way of phrasing it.

I agree. That's why when I took over from JK, I brought John in as my XO. So he could keep me in check.

But that doesn't stop people complaining about the stuff we did, so we decided to shut them up and make a committee.

If it doesn't work, we'll dissolve it and people can carry on complaining.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline Adam Lewandowski

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 11:34:09 am »
If I may post a modest comment from an outsider who has been involved in several websites similar to this, that have all gone through similar upheavals:

If you're the one here to pick up the pieces, you're the good guy. Don't make it too complicated trying to avoid what the 'bad guy' did. (No offense, I don't mean to imply anything on this site, but I don't really know how else to phrase it.) You aren't him, you don't do things the same way in the first place, keep it simple. The best policy, it seems to me, is an iron dictatorship open to suggestions. As long as the goal is the betterment of the site and enjoyment of the members, and this is carried out faithfully and sensibly, you don't need a committee to slow things down. I suppose an oversight committee isn't the worst idea, but I'd try to only have it do anything active when there was a problem, not as a general practice. Trust me, nothing will ever be done in a timely matter by an asynchronous committee, been there, done that, and it's pretty impossible with a group of only 3. I'd bet you have enough trouble with the 2 flag officers having time to get together on minor details, they most likely trust each other enough to get things done without contacting each other unless it's a major issue.

No weapon is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles