S4-M0: Katra in Springtime...

Started by Kyan Mackenzie, May 20, 2022, 06:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyan Mackenzie

Station Commander's Log Stardate...

"Computer. Just add the stardate yerself! Ye know I don't know it."

"Please restate the question."

"Computer... wait.. Did ye just talk when I'm trying tae do me log? Shut yer voicebox ye daft calculator with delusions of granduer! I'm the only one gets tae speak on the log. Just add the stardate to the log when I'm done.

"The current stardate is..."

"Shut it!"

Ok... good. That's better. Anyhow. It's been almost five months since Jettis was in charge and I wish he still was the now, and no mistake. Starfleet seen fit to make me Station Commander after he got poisoned and then they put Commander Falleg-Tekin back here tae be the XO. Our Chief of Flight Control, Mister Drake has departed, which is a good time to bring up why the station has a flight control person anyways? We don't move so... if you're an admiral listening to this log, I'd be after having explain that tae me.

Other than that, and our mission a few months ago on the Lirpa turning into an out of galaxy thing.. the station has been really quiet. Most people probably like that kinda thing, but not me. I'm after some action so I am. Quiet is boring and boredom leads to complacency. That must be why all the admirals have fat arses!

Umm.. delete that last line. Anyway, There's alot of things about being a commanding officer that I didn't know. For one, you're supposed tae have dinners with the senior staff sometimes. Hrafn told that, but she's always putting them on. I'd be after letting her carry on doing it too, but it wouldn't be a good thing. Captain Peers once time told me that "Ye canne ba askin yer crew tae do things that ye aren't after doing yerself." So that's why I had Petty Officer Yinar, who is the Yeoman... and a girl... AND a Betazoid, and by the way, (I see what you're after Admirals. Don't think I'm not working on getting an anti empath helmet. Cloten says he knows someone.. so your scheme is soon tae be thwarted!) So I had her do some research on how to do it. But then I remembered that it's almost Beltane! So I set up a Beltane celebration party for the whole crew. We're going to have a big bonfire in the Arboretum, and bannock cakes, and elderflower champagne.. the which I will drink only one glass probably since Xasik and Sirol will get their underwear twisted if I get properly pissed.

So that's what going on. It's Beltane on the station and we're going to have a proper party!

:: Arboretum | Katra Station ::

Kyan sat on one of the huge logs positioned in a circle around a bonfire which had yet to be lit. As he looked around the arboretum, Kyan was happy with what he saw. On one side, there was a group of people erecting a maypole, and on the other, several were making bannock bread, which would be used to make the bannock cakes later. To his surprise, several of the station's crew and a few of the civilians were actually practitioners of the "Old Faith" like him. So when he'd made it known that there was to be a Beltane celebration, they all volunteered to help set it up.

The logs that made up the bonfire were real nyawood from New Bajor, which had been easy enough to get. Most of it had gone to the bonfire, and the logs for seating. One had also been set aside for the Maypole, and a few others were going to be used by Chief Wible's husband, who did traditional woodcarving when he wasn't fixing things in engineering. Still another group was sitting in a circle making flower crowns, which would be given to all people attending the party.

As Kyan observed the preparations, Petty Officer Yinar made her way over from the flower circle. Kyan didn't need to be a telepath like her to know there was something on her mind.

"Yeoman Yinar." he offered as greeting. "Merry Met again."

"I did have a question sir." she began. "Since you decided to have this... celebration, I did some research and.. well, I was wondering if all of the customs were going to be followed?"

Kyan knew to which customs she was referring. And she knew that he knew. However, the little officer ignored that fact and pretended that he didn't. "Aye and which customs would ye be talking about the now?" he asked grinning.

She frowned and continued awkwardly. "Erhm..."

"The maypole?"

"No"

"Firedancing?"

"No."

Kyan shrugged. "Dunno then."

Yinar's discomfort was almost palpable. It almost made Kyan giggle. She shifted her feet during a moment of uncomfortable silence before continuing. "So even though you know what I'm asking, you're going to make me say it?"

He nodded, grinning. "Aye."

Yinar sighed, resigned to playing the little commander's game. "Are people going to be going off behind the trees and having sex? Because Lieutenant Paulsen asked me, and it wasn't because he was concerned about the grass getting trampled."

Kyan feigned offense. "Eww! Yinar, it's gross ye are and a hethen!"

She rolled her eyes. "So?"

He did giggle then. "Nae. They can go to their quarters for that. Tell Mister Paulsen that his grass is safe the now, and no naked arses will be smashing it."

She heaved a sigh of relief and promptly went off in search of Lieutenant Paulsen.

When she was gone, Kyan looked down at his wrist chrono. It was almost 1800 hours. People would be arriving soon. "All right you lot, it's almost time tae be starting the party!" he called out, getting up off the log. "Who's got the fire lighter?"

T’prith

[Katra Station-Arboretum]

T'Prith was glad to have some relaxing time before things got crazy and busy in another mission. It gave her the opportunity to assess her thoughts and think about the preparations for what's coming up. She looked around the Arboretum and saw people setting up a maypole. There seemed to be some sort of celebration going on so she decided to go and check it out. She quietly sat down on one of the logs to see what was going to be happening. She was glad that she could have some fun and not having to assses her thoughts and prepare for what's next.

Mila Dietrich

[Katra Station - Admin Deck]

Here she was, a fresh face out of the academy and ready to take those first steps forward in her career with Starfleet. The long passage to Katra Station felt endless for Mila. Had she had things her way, she would have beamed to her first assignment as soon as the commencement ceremony ended. Regardless, here she was, slightly confused about the natural of the station and its natural flow of traffic. It appeared as if she'd feel into a continuation of the pomp and celebration from San Francisco, "Holiday?" she mused to herself as she approached personnel In-Processing.

Kyan Mackenzie

Quote from: T'prith on May 25, 2022, 12:05:29 AM

[Katra Station-Arboretum]

T'Prith was glad to have some relaxing time before things got crazy and busy in another mission. It gave her the opportunity to assess her thoughts and think about the preparations for what's coming up. She looked around the Arboretum and saw people setting up a maypole. There seemed to be some sort of celebration going on so she decided to go and check it out. She quietly sat down on one of the logs to see what was going to be happening. She was glad that she could have some fun and not having to assses her thoughts and prepare for what's next.

:: Arboretum | Katra Station ::

After Petty Officer Yinar made her exit, no doubt peeved at Kyan's flippance about the very real possibility of illicit activities taking place among the trees in Katra's "Central Park", another female made her way over. It took him a minute to place her though.

Silvery hair... Vulcan... "Ah!" he thought when the name came to him. "Ensign P'Prith." he said offering a smile to the Vulcan. "Merry Met to ye the now, and Happy Beltane."

----

:: Personnel Office | Katra Station ::

Ensign Richard Ruablus IV; Ricky to his parents... Rick to his friends; drummed his fingers on the durasteel table at which he sat. as he sat there, and island amid the sea of people coming and going, he had ample time to wonder just where he went wrong in his life that led him to this point.

He was twenty one years old, and had graduated the Academy with pretty decent grades. When he'd graduated, dreams of a plum starship asignment danced in his head. He imagined himself flying one of the new Inquiry Class starships, or on an away team to some unknown planet, strapped with a phaser rifle ready to boldly go to strange new worlds and meet the females that lived there... or blast them if things went that route. What he hadn't dreamed of, and hadn't expected, was to be shutled off to some remote space station in the Gamma Quadrant, and assigned to the Personnel office.

Richard Ruablus I, his great grandfather had served on the USS Excelsior. He was at Khitomer. His grandfather had served during the Cardassian War. He was at Setlik III. Rick's father was one of the first Starfleet Officers on Cardassia when the Federation won the Dominion War.

He'd grown up listening to those stories, and knew... just KNEW.. that he'd be telling stories like those to his own kids someday. He'd show them the Christopher Pike Medal of Valor that he earned, and regale them with tales of his own exploits. He'd make Lieutenant after a year or so, and be a Lieutenant Commander after four or five years... Captain in ten.

He'd graduated the Academy almost a year ago now. Needless to say, the plan was behind schedule. He'd spoken to his superiors about changing jobs. Maybe security? But he'd had no luck. And in the time he' ben on Katra, almost four months now, nothing... literally NOTHING... had happened of any significance. Before he'd gotten there, there had ben terrorist attacks, Hunter attacks, Romulan subterfuge, and all sorts of excitement.

Now? Nothing. When he wasn't updating personnel files on the computer, he was welcoming new personnel to the station and making sure that they got their quarters asignments. That's what he was up to today.

He was positively bored to pieces... since he'd checked in the latest crew transfer almost an hour ago, when a Human female walked up to the table. He heaved a sigh and offered his pre-programmed greeting.

"Hello and welcome to Katra Station." he intoned flatly. "Name, Rank, and assignment please."

Hrafn Falleg

[Arboretum - Katra Station]

Hrafn and (NPCs) the smaller Tekin brood - Nerys, Tidu and Lamar plus Crista LePrant (Nanny) and James and Lawrie McGellen (doctor, Lt.)

Introducing Dr. (Lt.) Lawrie McGellen, Starfleet Medical
Hrafn strolled leisurely through the Arboretum admiring the plants.  She was surprised at the variety and it never failed to amaze her that they had such a wonderful place on the station, even after all the refits and....

She mentally shook herself, not wanting to remember the times the station had been ransacked, parts of it blown up and the deaths incurred, including at one point, they imagined, the loss of her own son, Tidu in a transporter accident.  It was only scientific and engineering brilliance of her husband, her insistence that Tidu was still alive and the willingness of a dear friendly doctor - Tess bless her, who didn't dismiss her 'hearing' Tidu as Hrafn having another bout of madness... that had allowed them to get him back.

Smirking slightly she recalled the 'madness' episode.  It was due to a telepathic race who inadvertently infiltrated the minds of those susceptible to mind manipulation.  Since Hrafn had telepathic capabilities due to her Minaran heritage (OOC: FYI you can find out more about Hrafn here ) she was lording, or should that be queening?, it over everyone as Queen Hrafn.  Eventually, as a joke some of the crew had even replicated her a crown which she kept and it amused her to sometimes take on an imperious tone and pretend she was that Queen again!

Looking ahead to where the children were running around she could see they were becoming a little rowdy, she was about to shout at them when Nerys let out a squeal.  "UNCLE LAWRIE!!!!" followed by Tidu screaming "DOOOOOOOOOOOOOCTOOOOOOOOOOOOR IN DA HOUOUOUOUOUSE!!!"

"Lawrie? Here?" Crista asked from behind Hrafn, with a smile splitting her face in two.

"Lawrie who?  Is this some secret lover I should know about?!" James teased amiably.

"No silly, Doc McGellen... .I have told you about him.  Family friend, damn good doctor, if'n ye can understand 'im, laddie!" the nanny replied adding an atrocious approximation of Lawrie's lowland brogue.

Nerys and Tidu ran up to Lawrie and launched themselves at him, and Lamar, who had only been a very young baby at the time looked at his siblings and internally shrugged taking his cue from them and also offered a hug.

"By, ye've grown, so ye have.  But I'd know that red hair anywhere.  Where's ye Mam? and Crista?!" Lawrie said crouching to more their height since at 6'4" tall he was quite a bit larger than Lamar especially.

"And who's this braw wee laddie?  This can't be Lamar Jnr. surely." he asked ruffling the youngster's hair.

"Is so!  I'm Tekin Lamar, same as Afa!" Lamar declared.

"To be sure, to be sure,.." Lawrie grinned giving a quizzical look trying to bludgeon his brain into remembering what 'Afa' meant in Bajoran.

Nerys bent and whispered "Grandad... my Daddy's dad that is.  We call Mammy's Dad, Grandad Kurt!"

Lawrie winked his thanks and said "We have a LOT to catch up on then.  Want a ride youngster?" he said offering his shoulders to Lamar who nodded gleefully at the idea of being up so high.

"Me gurrraffe!" he said not caring that he was getting it wrong and resorting to saying 'me' not 'I am' again in his excitement.

"I am a giraffe, Lamar... speak properly!" Hrafn said coming upon them and grinning at her old friend, Lawrie McGellen.  "Lawrie it's a delightful surprise to see you again.  How's the other McDubs?" she added kissing him on each cheek in the French style given that she couldn't easily hug him with Lamar on his shoulders!

"Jenna and the kids are in fine fettle, I was off to a medical convention but the shuttlecraft had engine trouble so we put in here, and then I got word that the convention has been indefinitely postponed so I thought I'd stay here for a little while." Lawrie said.  "I'd show you holoimages but you'd have to wait till I have hands free to get at my padd.  I was gang-mobbed by a trio of ginger midgets!"

"There's someone else who calls them that..." she said spotting Kyan up ahead.  "Let me introduce you to the Station Commander.  Come back here you two... too late!"

She called after the kids.  "Captain.... ginger marauders 12 o'clock!" as the kids ran up to Kyan and hugged him.

"One day they might learn some decorum, but I doubt it.  Nerys can be a perfect little lady when she wants to be but if it's people she loves, she's off!  Oh by the way you know Crista..."

"Yes, hi Lawrie long time no see!"

"...and this is her fiance James McGrath... not Scottish or least family not recently Scottish!"

" 'fraid not... tho I think my 17 times great grandfather or something was, then they happened to own a plantation and married free slaves... I say that... to keep in with the locals he kept 'slaves' but none were branded and they got a wage, holidays and such.  He was one of the good plantation owners so the story goes and he fell for a woman of colour, they um... what you do to get kids, they had 4 and one of them was my grandsire several generations back.  He eventually married the woman and well... here I am today, a black McGrath!"

"Well they do call people 'Black Scots' but I think they refer more to people like me with the dark hair rather than those descended of the Picts and Vikings who have red or fair hair!" Lawrie said politely. "Anyhoo, if'n Hrafn here has accepted ye... then yer ok in my books! When's the big day?!"

"Not a clue, mate... just scouting this place out as a possible location for the wedding.  I want it beautiful for Crista!" James said smiling.

"We'll leave you two lovebirds to it then... I'm sure Hrafn and I can handle the miscreants!" Lawrie said offering the crook of his arm to Hrafn.

"Lawrie, I wonder... would Jenna mind awfully if you didn't go back immediately?" the XO asked almost pleadingly.

"What's up lassie? Ye know you don't have to beat the bush around me?! And what's with you in red, I'm not used to you in anything but teal!" the doctor smiled.

"Station First Officer now! And, well, our doctor has had to take emergency leave... and we're currently without a senior, experienced doctor.  I was wondering if..."

"To help an old friend, if your Station Commander is agreeable..."

"Captain McKenzie may I introduce my old friend, fellow ginger midget wrangler, Doctor Lawrence McGellen... or Lawrie to folks that know him... I may have solved our temporary senior medic problem.  T'Prith, nice to see you here too, do Vulcan's have any such Springtime celebrations.  I'm afraid I'm not as educated on such things as I am with Trill, Bajoran or Terran celebrations."

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Kyan Mackenzie

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on May 27, 2022, 08:26:48 AM

"There's someone else who calls them that..." she said spotting Kyan up ahead.  "Let me introduce you to the Station Commander.  Come back here you two... too late!"

She called after the kids.  "Captain.... ginger marauders 12 o'clock!" as the kids ran up to Kyan and hugged him.

Having just gotten out his greeting to the Vulcan Operations Officer, Kyan turned toward Hrafn's shouted warning just in time to be gang tackled by the Falleg-Tekin kids. The four of them landed in a heap beside the log where he'd been sitting.

"Sure and it's the brig fer you lot!" Kyan laughed from under Lamar, Nerys, and Tidu. "Proper bandits ye are, come fer me latinum like a band of Ferengi pirates!

Everyone had just gotten to their feet and dusted off when Hrafn and another grup made their way over. Kyan took stock of the new person, who she claimed was a doctor. Although whether or not Dr. Xiiv being on leave posed a "problem" depended on whom you asked. For Kyan it was the exact opposite of a problem, but then he'd never much cared for doctors anyhow.

Still, he supposed the pleasantries had to be observed.

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on May 27, 2022, 08:26:48 AM

"Captain McKenzie may I introduce my old friend, fellow ginger midget wrangler, Doctor Lawrence McGellen... or Lawrie to folks that know him... I may have solved our temporary senior medic problem.  T'Prith, nice to see you here too, do Vulcan's have any such Springtime celebrations.  I'm afraid I'm not as educated on such things as I am with Trill, Bajoran or Terran celebrations."

"Merry Met Doctor McGellan, and welcome tae Katra Station." he offered with a smile. "If its practice yer after havin, you'll get it here. Katra folk are always getting into scrapes, especially this lot here." he said indicating the Falleg kids. "And theres always folks coming and going so.

Hrafn Falleg

Quote from: Kyan Mackenzie on June 01, 2022, 06:10:58 AM

Having just gotten out his greeting to the Vulcan Operations Officer, Kyan turned toward Hrafn's shouted warning just in time to be gang tackled by the Falleg-Tekin kids. The four of them landed in a heap beside the log where he'd been sitting.

"Sure and it's the brig fer you lot!" Kyan laughed from under Lamar, Nerys, and Tidu. "Proper bandits ye are, come fer me latinum like a band of Ferengi pirates!

Everyone had just gotten to their feet and dusted off when Hrafn and another grup made their way over. Kyan took stock of the new person, who she claimed was a doctor. Although whether or not Dr. Xiiv being on leave posed a "problem" depended on whom you asked. For Kyan it was the exact opposite of a problem, but then he'd never much cared for doctors anyhow.

Still, he supposed the pleasantries had to be observed.

"Merry Met Doctor McGellan, and welcome tae Katra Station." he offered with a smile. "If its practice yer after havin, you'll get it here. Katra folk are always getting into scrapes, especially this lot here." he said indicating the Falleg kids. "And theres always folks coming and going so.

OOC FYI - WARNING - DO NOT DRINK AND READ... TISSUES FOR TEARS OF LAUGHTER REQUIRED

As Hrafn and NPCs Lawrie McGellen and the kids Nerys, Tidu and Lamar Jnr.

Lawrie held out a hand in greeting to Kyan.  "A fellow Scot to.  Ye didnae tell me that Hrafn!" the doctor grinned.  "Tho I'm guessing that you're from a wee bit further up than I am... wee place called Dalmeny west of Edinburgh is my stamping ground."

He considered what both Hrafn and the diminutive Station Commander were saying about a medic and smiled.  "Well, I'm happy to hang out in the Medical facilities here and help out for a wee while.  These 3 ..." he said looking at the Falleg-Tekin brood.  "They need an entire shift worth of medics 24/7.  I'm actually considering that the brig might be a better place for them."

Lamar looked peeved and Tidu asked "What's wrong Lambchops?!"

"Me can't be Fuh-wengi.  Not got nellfant ears!"

That was enough to set Hrafn, Lawrie and the twins guffawing with laughter enough that his mother couldn't really correct him.

"That's very true you don't have overly large ears just perfectly Lamar-sized ears.  Mind, don't ever let Lt. Lek hear you call them 'nellyfant ears!' or there'll be trouble!" Hrafn said with a grin.

"C'mon kids let your 'Uncle Kyan' up from that very undignified position.  I think I'm going to make it a new rule.  No mob-hug-tackling anyone in uniform unless they indicate it's ok to... you know like if we visit Daddy and surprise him in his Ready Room... I'm thinking that would be allowed."

"Sorry Mr. Mackenzie!" Nerys said offering a hand to help him up.  "We only do it to people we really like.  And Uncle Lawrie isn't in uniform, so he was fair game!"

"Well I wasn't expecting it but it wasn't unwelcome either.  Say Captain, what's going on here?  Bit early for Bonfire Night!"

"Beltane... Springtime and all that entails!" Hrafn offered.

"Oh aye?!" Lawrie raised on eyebrow.  "ALL it entails? And I thought you were a respectable XO these days!"

"Lawrence Alexander Stewart McGellen... wash your mind with bleach!  I'm not only a respectable XO but a married woman with 4 kids!" Hrafn said colouring.

"You forgot the 'Doctor' and my letters after!" Lawrie teased earning him a playful slap on the arm from the XO.

"Please tell me there's a ban at least in the Arboretum to such activities, Captain!"

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.