Author Topic: S3 - M1 The Butterfly Effect  (Read 20407 times)

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S3 - M1 The Butterfly Effect
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 05:10:36 pm »
Tholian Embassy

Zex accepted Eydis' finger like appendage.  She lightly squeezed it.  Then just stood with hir in silence.

For all of there physical differences, they were so very much the same.  On the inside.  Where it counted. 

She could tell that the new arrival was top of mind for Eydis.  There was a sense on uncertainty.  An uncomfortable feeling for them both.

"I will let the OCC know that the new ship should be here shortly.  I'm also going to ask Kal to join us while we wait" she said.  "Just give me one second please" she said.

-/\-Zex to Kal.  Can you please meet Eydis and I in the Tholian Embassy.  And can you inform the OCC that a new Tholian ship will be arriving soon-/\- she said after tapping her com badge.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Eydis

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 05:56:27 pm »
Would nod hir head as over the lattice shi felt the new diplomatic director Tseyn, abroad the frigate (springweaver) currently unnamed. Turning to look at the embassy view screen shi would bring up the wormhole feed a few seconds before the frigate emerged from it.

https://www.deviantart.com/sven1310/art/Advanced-Tholian-Web-Spinner-02-Warpspeed-613495273

“Greetings director Tsyen, I’m of Loskene clans and warrior caste member Eydis. I welcome you to the station and hope you arrival will produce much desired fruit of diplomacy “

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 01:45:42 am »

Katra Station

Tholian Lattice

The figure which resolved its presence into the Tholian Lattice was Tseyn, one of the Tholian innovations that had come from the recent movement towards new ways of doing things.  The Tholians had not always enjoyed the use of a dedicated Diplomatic Caste.  Their first diplomats had been members reassigned from other castes, like Eydis hirself.  In Eydis' case, the Tholians had taken further steps to create a superior Diplomat with superior understanding of other species.  But shi was still not the pinnacle of Tholian caste redesign.

No.

That honor fell to Tseyn.  Shi was part of the new breed.  A culture reinventing itself.

And so, hir next words were something of a surprise.

"Eydis.  Your adulterated form and flawed decisions have necessitated my presence.  There is strife in the Assembly.  You will be judged.  I will arrive soon.  Prepare the Embassy for its new Director."

Docking Saucer

Zanner smiled, "Dinner sounds great," he said, "and I'd love a tour of the station."  He took a step forward, and then paused, some mild distress visible on his features.  "But... maybe I should just go to my temporary quarters and rest up before dinner."

Tess' trained eye suggested that Zanner might be experiencing discomfort.  But if so, he was also quite clearly intent on concealing that fact. 

He smiled apologetically.  "I'll take you up on that tour tomorrow, if the offer doesn't expire."

Operational Control Center

Solluk heard his PADD beep, and checked it.   New messages had come in from both Rayek and Starfleet Intelligence.  The contents of the messages were unsettling.  Increasing evidence had been discovered indicating that the Thinkers had developed a rather intricate trade network in the Alpha and Beta quadrants.  Rayek's investigations had been central to suggesting that this was the case, and Starfleet Intelligence had confirmed it with other investigators.

Starfleet Intelligence further advised that they had operatives in the quadrant following up on other suspected Thinker activity, and that they hoped the USS Healy would be kept on ready alert.

That request was as unusual as anything else.  Starfleet Intelligence almost never implied that they might need assistance with anything. 

He considered that for a moment.  If something did require an intervention, what would be required?

It was impossible to know without also knowing what sort of intervention was required.  In the end, he had to take his best guess as to what might be the most valuable... if anything was required at all.

"Flight Control... I'm going to need a team of workbees to swap the pods on the Healy.  I want the torpedo pods removed and the warp enhancement pods attached.  Lieutenant Ferris, can you assemble a team to take care of it?"

Normally, he'd use the drydock to make the swap, but the current refits meant that particular asset was off the board.  The pods could be swapped without a drydock, of course.  But it was a somewhat delicate process.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:46:58 am by Solluk »
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Don Damien Addams

• Approved Applicants
  • Honoured Member
  • Test
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 03:44:14 am »

Katra Station - Docking Saucer

Katra Station - Wildlife Rescue & Research Center

A civilian man quickly rushed out to grab the fish and place it in a small water-filled container.  The container was equipped with electronics that whirred and blinked.  The man studied the container for a moment as Kal looked on.

After several seconds, he nodded to himself and released the fish back into the water.  At that moment, a new person appeared.  A young junior Lieutenant with a sciences uniform.  She smiled apologetically at Kal, extending her hand.

Kal was astonish of the colorful fish that someone saved. He stood their staring at the water with the fish which invaded his space. His shirt. But there seemed no harm to him or the fish.

"Apologies, Ensign.  I'm Doctor Hagen, the chief administrator of the Rescue Center.  The transparent aluminum walkway isn't in place yet.  We're still getting set up, which hasn't been easy with all of the bustle around here these past two months.  I hope you weren't injured?"[/size]

"Pride was injured. I will live. Everything else seems to be fine," he shared. He sighed. "I need to change. Pardon me, Doctor," he said hurriedly. As he quickly went to his quarters to change the cleaning crew followed his trail to clean up the drip of water.

Eydis looked at hir deltan friend and reached out with hir right two digit hand to take hir friends hand if she allowed it. Splitting hir two hyper mobility digits around hir wrist briefly. Nodding hir head to the deltan as thanks hir blue glowing orbs of eyes holding a sadness and softness.

Both Eydis and zex could feel the approach of the new tholian ambassador. Long before the tholian frigate emerged from the wormhole.  Eydis would look for kal if he had entered the embassy at ease with the strange stoic warrior.

Kal had his Klingon sash hanging in the sonic shower. He used the program for dry mode to dry his sash as he dried up, and put a fresh dry uniform on. He then saw a message on his computer. It showed the Tholian's had a service for the departed warriors. This message found his way to his computer being late. This was not a typical day. He lost his balance and fell in water, a small fish got the better of him, he has wet clothes and this message. He growled as he quickly grabbed the sash which was still damn. "Days like this I should stay in bed," he told the empty quarters. He quickly fixed himself up and quickly to get himself to the Tholian Embassy. I swear another bad thing happen. I throw myself in an air lock, he thought to himself.

Tholian Lattice

The figure which resolved its presence into the Tholian Lattice was Tseyn, one of the Tholian innovations that had come from the recent movement towards new ways of doing things.  The Tholians had not always enjoyed the use of a dedicated Diplomatic Caste.  Their first diplomats had been members reassigned from other castes, like Eydis hirself.  In Eydis' case, the Tholians had taken further steps to create a superior Diplomat with superior understanding of other species.  But shi was still not the pinnacle of Tholian caste redesign.

No.

That honor fell to Tseyn.  Shi was part of the new breed.  A culture reinventing itself.

And so, hir next words were something of a surprise.

"Eydis.  Your adulterated form and flawed decisions have necessitated my presence.  There is strife in the Assembly.  You will be judged.  I will arrive soon.  Prepare the Embassy for its new Director."

Kal came walking in the embassy to see his two friends. He felt he was yesterday news showing up for today. He slowly approached them to not try draw attention to him. That was not hard. He was used to be quiet and stealthy.

He came to the side of Eydis to show he was present. He had made eye contact to his tall pal and he nodded to his bald Deltan female friend.

Then he observed the room with his eyes as he had his chin down to show he was showing respect to everyone who was present.

Offline Sirol

• Approved Applicants
  • Trusted Member
  • If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
  • Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the player with the best application. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 11:13:45 am »
< Katra Station / Deck 11 / Romulan Embassy >

Kovnin

Much could be said about people with a similar mindset: Their potential to be friends, their potential to flawlessly work together: the romanticised idea of soulmates…
One overlooked thing about similar minds though was their potential to dislike and disapprove one another.
Similar minds shared similar flaws and the means to spot them...
And for none this applied more than for Kovnin and Commander Tomax; two cynical old souls yearning a better; an easier time… Kovnin detested the Commander and had been glad the minute he got to set foot aboard Katra, which made phrasing the request that showed up on the screen in front of him especially bitter to read out...

"Rhienn has been busy with assisting me with other things lately. There is much to do. Forward the requests to me and I will see to squeeze them into my schedule." He actually thought it was a good sign to than the other way around - having to work so hard to make connections. Putting his emtpy mug on Kovnin's desk, Jarok moved to sit down in a chair. "Unappetising things?", he prompted, looking back at the elderly Romulan.

“Will do, Ambassador…” He began quickly, and gave the young man an approving nod.
Ambassador Jarok had been an odd one; a little difficult to pinpoint, yet all in all Kovnin had nothing to complain -  which by his standards had been a standalone compliment.
He knew that Sirol had enjoyed speaking to him, which had been a standalone compliment of hers too…
Jarok appeared invested in his work, yet level headed enough to not lose himself in personal dreams and aspirations. Qualities Kovnin liked.
He quickly looked at the mug. A part of him had hoped that the Ambassador would have brought him a full one with fresh tea, but instead he was simply spamming his desk. Charming…
“As for the unappetising part. I have a request from one Lieutenant… Sylvia Allistair… She asks you to relay her formal apology to Commander Tomax for calling him a... Quote: Cowardly little spineless piece of green-blooded…. I really should not read the rest of that…
Looks like his cloaking maneuvre during the battle temporarily evoked some… False ideas…
I honestly think relaying that may cause more harm than good, but… Alas… What even do I know…?
The sass in his voice was real. According to what Kovnin knew, no insult towards Tomax had been in any recorded transmission, so pointing out that there in fact was seemed like a bad idea for everyone involved…
With a shrug he swiped to the next message and looked up to Jarok again.
“Here is our ‘friend’ Tavrik messaging the Embassy again... This time complaining that Katra and it’s festivities last week lacked positive Reman representation. He asks you to give a statement…” The old man slightly rolled with his eyes, then leaned back in his chair.
Even though his comments may have indicated otherwise, Kovnin enjoyed his job. A nice relaxed desk job in an interesting new place. The only thing he did dislike were some assorted ‘customers’...
“...I’m sorry you have to deal with this. Speaking of dealing with... Liabilities. I heard we get a fresh badge of Tholians too.
Who looks at the most stuck up, least likeable faction in the entire alpha quadrant and thinks ‘We need more of these?!’.
Unbelievable… Must be someone with a morbid fetish for the weird; devoid of all emotion… Speaking of… I wonder where Sirol is with my granddaughter… What’s taking them so long?...”

< Katra Station / Deck 11 / Embassies >

Sirol     &     Arrhae

The child cheerfully hopped while walking, and every now and then Sirol had to take the girl's hand to prevent her from bumping into other people.
It was more than obvious that Arrhae was high-spirited and full of energy. Considering the long travel, it did not come as a surprise to the scientist, yet, Sirol nevertheless had to admit, that it was a new sort of challenge to have an eye on the child nonstop.
The last time she had seen Arrhae had been almost a year by now. Since then she had grown a little, and gained a lot of skittishness
“Oh, look!” The child exclaimed, and once more freed herself from Sirol’s hand, running towards a starfleet technician who was hunkering down and opening a panel, leading into a Jefferies tube. “...You're fixing something in there?”
The starfleet officer was visibly confused at being abruptly addressed, yet as soon as he spotted the child turned around and gave her a sheepish grin.
“Naaa, just finding me a quiet place.” He joked. And while Arrhae understood the Joke and giggled, Sirol did not, and took him at his word.
With a frown she gave him a disapproving look, then took Arhae’s hand again.
“Come now, the Embassy should be… Right at the end of that junction and then the next corridor. You do not want to be late, do you?”
Arrhae bobbed up and down.
“I dunno. What’s an Embassy anyway?”
Slowly trying to get the child to move forward with her again, Sirol tilted her head at the question.
“It is… Where Ambassadors and their staff work. They are… Representatives… In a way.”
“What's a representative?”
Sirol raised one eyebrow. “Someone… Who has been sent to speak on behalf of their people.”
“...Like you with Colonel Averek?”
Sirol stopped for a moment, and gave the child a surprised look.
“Who told you about that? Not quite... That was… A little bit different. Yes, I was relaying messages, because my superiors would not listen to the Remans, but they would listen to me. That was not my profession; it was my solution.”
“Oh… Okay…” The child spoke, acknowledging the explanation - or at least the parts she understood, until she suddenly looked up to Sirol again.
“...And that’s what grandfather is doing? Speaking for people? But all he ever does is complain about the people… When I’m gonna be a Commander, I’ll listen to evenerone! Pinky promise!”
Sirol did a polite bow towards the child, and placed a hand on her tiny shoulder.
“Your grandfather is helping the one who speaks for the Romulans. Just as I was helping Colonel Averek.
People who help the ones in charge are every bit as important, don’t forget that, little Commander.”

With that, Sirol - once more - reached out for the child’s hand, to lead her down the next corridor.

< Every point of view is useful, even those that are wrong - if we can judge why a wrong view was accepted. >
Sirol's Browser History
NPCs: Kovnin | Peylix

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 01:45:15 pm »

Katra Auxiliary Drydock

Mas looked from person to person with some confusion, his gaze lingering on the Voles for some time before finally settling upon the Lieutenant.

Then he pulled the badge off of his uniform and examined it.

"Sorry, Lieutenant.  The universal translator built into my com-badge seems to be having problems.  It keeps randomly translating words people say as food items."

He un-holstered his tricorder and performed a brief scan.  As he scrutinized the display on his tricorder, his natural frown deepened.

"It might be a software problem..."  His forehead creased more deeply.

Looking back up at the elderly human, he shrugged, "I'll replicate a new badge later.  I think I can still make out most of what's going on through context clues."

Re-holstering his tricorder, he slapped his badge back on somewhat carelessly, leaving it askew.  "I hear we're putting in a whole new, parallel EPS system for the shield grid.  I'm..." 

He paused, wondering how best to express the state of the ship's personnel.  "I'm not the Chief Engineer.  We don't have one, yet.  But... I'm in charge of Engineering right now.  The whole ship is full of fresh graduates and cadets.  I've never climbed a mountain this big.  But I'm here to fly, if you'll push me over the ledge."

The last two phrases might easily seem like a translator malfunction as well, but he was simply repeating oft-used Lurian idioms.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 02:27:50 pm »
Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Docking Saucer USS Amalthea]

Docking Saucer

Zanner smiled, "Dinner sounds great," he said, "and I'd love a tour of the station."  He took a step forward, and then paused, some mild distress visible on his features.  "But... maybe I should just go to my temporary quarters and rest up before dinner."

Tess' trained eye suggested that Zanner might be experiencing discomfort.  But if so, he was also quite clearly intent on concealing that fact. 

He smiled apologetically.  "I'll take you up on that tour tomorrow, if the offer doesn't expire."

Tess smiled back at him, happy to show him the station. But the smile faded quickly when she noticed something was off. The man clearly tried to hide it but it was obvious to her trained eye that he was in discomfort. "Captain", she started, intending to ask what was wrong, but she didn't want to pry - not here and now, that is. It was not uncommon that especially men, but women too, when they became older, tried to downplay or hide their ailments. With fondness she thought of a certain centenarian.

Looking back at Zanner, Tess nodded and tried to hide her concern under a smile. "Of course."

"Deck 3", she ordered the computer after they had stepped into the turbo lift. "The offer of course doesn't expire", she replied. "I'm looking forward to show you around tomorrow."

The turbolift stopped on deck 3 and Tess accompanied him to the door to his quarters. "Get some good rest, Captain. If there is something I can do for you, please let me know. I hope to see you tonight." She smiled once more at him before she made her way up to the OCC.

[Katra Station - OCC]

Arriving at the OCC Tess approached Solluk. She looked a little disappointed. "I had hoped to bring Captain Zanner with me but he preferred to rest a little first." Concern flickered over her face again while she wondered once more what might be wrong.

She then reached for her PADD that she carried at her belt. "I'll check the arrangements for the officer's dinner tonight, but I think it became a routine by now. Everything running smoothly." She smiled.

NPC Ambassador Virahk Jarok - Romulan Free State
[Katra Station - Deck 11 - Romulan Embassy - Jarok's office]

Kovnin

Much could be said about people with a similar mindset: Their potential to be friends, their potential to flawlessly work together: the romanticised idea of soulmates…

One overlooked thing about similar minds though was their potential to dislike and disapprove one another.

Similar minds shared similar flaws and the means to spot them...

And for none this applied more than for Kovnin and Commander Tomax; two cynical old souls yearning a better; an easier time… Kovnin detested the Commander and had been glad the minute he got to set foot aboard Katra, which made phrasing the request that showed up on the screen in front of him especially bitter to read out...

“Will do, Ambassador…” He began quickly, and gave the young man an approving nod.

Ambassador Jarok had been an odd one; a little difficult to pinpoint, yet all in all Kovnin had nothing to complain -  which by his standards had been a standalone compliment.

He knew that Sirol had enjoyed speaking to him, which had been a standalone compliment of hers too…

Jarok appeared invested in his work, yet level headed enough to not lose himself in personal dreams and aspirations. Qualities Kovnin liked.

He quickly looked at the mug. A part of him had hoped that the Ambassador would have brought him a full one with fresh tea, but instead he was simply spamming his desk. Charming…

“As for the unappetising part. I have a request from one Lieutenant… Sylvia Allistair… She asks you to relay her formal apology to Commander Tomax for calling him a... Quote: Cowardly little spineless piece of green-blooded…. I really should not read the rest of that…

Looks like his cloaking maneuvre during the battle temporarily evoked some… False ideas…

I honestly think relaying that may cause more harm than good, but… Alas… What even do I know…?
The sass in his voice was real. According to what Kovnin knew, no insult towards Tomax had been in any recorded transmission, so pointing out that there in fact was seemed like a bad idea for everyone involved…

With a shrug he swiped to the next message and looked up to Jarok again.

“Here is our ‘friend’ Tavrik messaging the Embassy again... This time complaining that Katra and it’s festivities last week lacked positive Reman representation. He asks you to give a statement…” The old man slightly rolled with his eyes, then leaned back in his chair.

Even though his comments may have indicated otherwise, Kovnin enjoyed his job. A nice relaxed desk job in an interesting new place. The only thing he did dislike were some assorted ‘customers’...

“...I’m sorry you have to deal with this. Speaking of dealing with... Liabilities. I heard we get a fresh badge of Tholians too.

Who looks at the most stuck up, least likeable faction in the entire alpha quadrant and thinks ‘We need more of these?!’.

Unbelievable… Must be someone with a morbid fetish for the weird; devoid of all emotion… Speaking of… I wonder where Sirol is with my granddaughter… What’s taking them so long?...”

Jarok sat comfortably in the chair, leaned back and his right ankle resting on his left knee. His right elbow was propped up on the arm, his  hand loosely touching his chin as he looked over to the elderly Romulan.

"Sylvia Allistair...?", he repeated pensively. He tried to recall a face to the name but he didn't think he had met a Lieutenant with that name yet. Interesting. When Kovnin recited her insult, Jarok's eyebrows rose in surprise, but then he smirked a little. This Lieutenant Allistair seemed to be an impulsive person. "I think I would like to hear the full quote... but from the Lieutenant personally. Can you arrange a meeting with her for me?"

When Kovnin mentioned Tavrik, Jarok shared the man's sentiment. He didn't like to deal with the Reman. He felt subconsciously uncomfortable in his presence. The species was known to be telepaths after all. "I will prepare a statement", Jarok said slowly and added in his mind 'when I can spare a moment.' Which he barely could.

When Kovnin went on to complain about more Tholians coming to the station and describing them as least likeable species, Jarok gave Kovnon a mild smile. "Well...I think that is not up to us to decide over. Though.. such a noticable presence is ... surprising. If I understood it  currently, the Tholoians had quite the assets of vessels at Katra before it was destroyed in the fight." The Tholians were definitely something to keep an eye on.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Catherine Goodspeed

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • "To kittens in the toast!!!"
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 04:00:33 pm »

Katra Auxiliary Drydock

Mas looked from person to person with some confusion, his gaze lingering on the Voles for some time before finally settling upon the Lieutenant.

Then he pulled the badge off of his uniform and examined it.

"Sorry, Lieutenant.  The universal translator built into my com-badge seems to be having problems.  It keeps randomly translating words people say as food items."

He un-holstered his tricorder and performed a brief scan.  As he scrutinized the display on his tricorder, his natural frown deepened.

"It might be a software problem..."  His forehead creased more deeply.

Looking back up at the elderly human, he shrugged, "I'll replicate a new badge later.  I think I can still make out most of what's going on through context clues."

Re-holstering his tricorder, he slapped his badge back on somewhat carelessly, leaving it askew.  "I hear we're putting in a whole new, parallel EPS system for the shield grid.  I'm..." 

He paused, wondering how best to express the state of the ship's personnel.  "I'm not the Chief Engineer.  We don't have one, yet.  But... I'm in charge of Engineering right now.  The whole ship is full of fresh graduates and cadets.  I've never climbed a mountain this big.  But I'm here to fly, if you'll push me over the ledge."

The last two phrases might easily seem like a translator malfunction as well, but he was simply repeating oft-used Lurian idioms.

Cat tried to keep a straight face at the sight of the poor confused visitor.

Sometimes she forgot her way of dealing with her staff was not technically in line with the correct Starfleet 'protocols' that she was sure she had read but forgotten about.

As she'd never worked for Starfleet before and never run a crew under their command she'd just used the building blocks she had carried throughout her adult life when it came to her 'crew' here on Katra.

Her family had always treated their workforce like family members; even the ones you might not like too much.  As with every family there was someone you looked up too and were rules to obey. Sometimes you  needed to relax and joke and sometimes you had to wade into a pack of brawling dogs with a big stick.

But she found she didn't seem to have to break out the 'angry stick' as much as she thought she would.  She'd been handed some of the hardest working and best staff outside the civilian world as far as she was concerned and she was as proud as a Mother Hen, even though some of them were considered a bit.... Unusual.

Cat couldn't help it and broke into a grin. "Please.. Please don't apologise...there is nothing wrong with your translator, there is no need for a new one"

"The food names you heard are..." Cat tilted her head as if trying to think of the most simplest explanation.  "..nicknames.  Like fun names some of the crew have been given or use themselves instead of full names."

"It helps bond the crew I've found, almost like a little family in deep space and some names are hard to pronounce if you are not native to their tongue so some of the crew in engineering have nicknames."  Cats face hardened slightly "But never is a name allowed if it causes someone to be upset or hurt, that I will NOT allow".

"Peaches is the nickname for the tall Andorian crewman; Biscuits is the  nickname for the human female who followed him.  Not everyone has a nickname.  Don't worry you'll get used to it!"

Cat listened as Ensign Molane explained the situation of the ship's personnel.  She could feel herself start to bristle on the inside at the thought of an entire ship full of crew fresh out of the Federation machinery with no one to steer them.

Gus glanced sideways and spotted the tell tale sign of the Chief getting mad inside.  He took a tiny step back.

"Firstly again you have nothing to apologise for.  And please don't worry, myself and the engineering crew are here to help.  Some of them are pretty good teachers but don't tell them that" Cat smiled again to try and put Mas at ease.  "and never be afraid to ask a question, even if you think the question silly" Cat resisted the urge to pat the Lurian on the arm like a concerned aged Aunt.

"Secondly; if you wish to fly when it's always handy to have someone to help cushion the fall and we are here to cushion any falls you might have whilst you are here with us"

Cat looked down at Mr Bitey and Nibbler who were staring up at Mas in abject fascination.

"Thirdly; these are my two Cardassian voles, Mr Bitey and Nibbler.  I've got 4 in total; been using them a lot on civilian ship building yards over the last fair few years.  Very good at sniffing and sensing possible problems before them become a full blown migraine... I mean.. Large problem".

Cat realised that standing around in the middle of the control room wasn't the most comfortable thing to do.

"Tell you what.  Let's carry on this conversation in one of the break areas, the replicators here are very nice I must say. Have you eaten?  Are you thirsty? "

Cat bent down and retrieved the leads of the 2 voles  "Gus, come along won't you, you can always run back if need be" Cat thought it might be a good learning experience for the new assistant CoE.

Cat began to walk over to the nearest Turbolift to take them to the Break Area in Section 2 "And Ensign Molane; once we find a nice comfy seat and have a drink you can tell me why you're without a CoE and a crew of fresh meat before we get into the nitty gritty of the refit"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:09:53 pm by Catherine Goodspeed »

Never turn your back on a species with tusks, teeth or claws sharper than your own wit.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 04:36:23 pm »
Tholian Embassy

Zex offered Kal a nod when he entered the room.  She was glad that he had come.  Eydis needed another friend right about now.

She kept her gaze though on the image of the new director.   "Director Tseyn, I am Zex, friend of Tholia.  I am one of the diplomatic officers here.  This is Kal, security officer attached to the diplomatic office.  We have already started preparations for your arrival and look forward to formally meeting you" she said.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded every January by the FCO.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 04:40:41 pm »
Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Strategic Operations Office - s'Lhoell personal quarters]

With his final report written and sent, Rayek checked the time.   It was nearly break.  If he was fortunate, he might meet up with Tess at their quarters while she fed their son.  Afterwards he had plans to do a walkabout inspection of the various security features integral to the station.  While they hadn't been needed last month, it was part of Rayek's resumed Security Chief duties to ensure that all measures were in working order for when they might be needed.

While the duties were familiar, there was a new awareness of how unappreciated his presence was in doing so.  It hadn't escaped his notice that whenever the former Security Chief, Wessex, had toured the Promenade conducting similar checks the man had been welcomed warmly by the citizens on the station. Yet Rayek, if anything, was avoided.  Was it his personality?  His species? His past errors?  Rayek tried not to be bothered by it, but it put a cloud over Rayek's day to day activities when he wasn't in the presence of his family or close acquaintance.

Locking his computer console, Rayek left his office and headed over to his and Tess' quarters to check in on Fvienn.

As Senior Officer quarters were on the same level as their offices, it didn't take Rayek long to walk the circumference distance of a couple hundred meters to arrive at his door.   They slid open for him at his touch to the bio-metric door panel.

Stepping inside, he glanced about looking for sign of either his wife, his son or his son's care-taker.  But the quarters seemed empty. 

"Hello? Anyone home?" he called out as he stepped further into the suite  and moved on through to the bedroom thinking Fvienn might be getting a diaper change.  But that room too was empty. 

Frowning, Rayek checked the bathroom next to be thorough before pulling his PADD and calling up the location of the tracker he had placed in his son's diaper bag.  It showed as being present in their quarters.  Rayek did another glance about and found it beside the sofa.  Where the hell was his son?!

Tapping the screen of his PADD, he opened a public communication line.  He regretted now not insisting that Phara be given a comm badge - they were so much easier to track and download info from.  "Computer connect me with Phara t'Movel's personal communicator."

The device rang a couple of times.  For a moment Rayek was certain it was going to go to 'leave a message' mode, but on the last chime the call was acknowledged.  The voice on the other end sounded winded as if having run to pick up the call. 

"Hello, Rayek?"  She'd obviously read the display to know who was contacting her.

Rayek didn't bother with pleasantries.  "Where is Fvienn?"

"I'm so sorry, Rayek.  I got a call from Mum."  Rayek recognized she meant her husband's mother, Karinne.  "About some last minute, school function that parents were supposed to attend that I was apparently late for.  So I hurried and brought Fvienn with me.  But she must have gotten the details mixed up because when I got here there was no such function." 

In the background of the call were the varied high-pitched sounds of children laughing, including the distinctive laugh of his infant son.  "The children here however immediately took to Fvienn and I've been slowly trying to make my excuses that he and I have to leave.  Especially since I must have left in such a rush that I forgot the diaper bag." 

"Ah that explains your absence.  I was worried." Rayek admitted.

"My apologies Rayek.  But Fvienn is fine.  I suppose Tess is going to be home shortly too, so we'll say our goodbyes to the children and make our way back."

Rayek considered a moment. "No, stay there.  This social interaction with other children is good for him. I'll come down with the diaper bag.  We can return together when Tess takes her break.  I'll let her know where we are until then."  The implication being so that Tess wouldn't have to worry like he had.

There was warmth in Phara's response.  "Sounds good, Rayek.  I'll see you shortly."

With the comm closed, Rayek gathered up the diaper bag.  At the same time, he checked on Thrafv, who was curled up sleeping in his cage, and then turned off the desk computer in the corner of the room which he must have mistakenly left on this morning before leaving for work.

He headed out.  There was a momentary pause before the doors shut following his exit.   Rayek glanced back feeling like he missed something.  He stood there a moment thinking before realizing he'd forgotten to call Tess.  Shaking his head at his own distracted thoughts he continued on his way, while tapping his badge.

=/\= "tr'Lhoell to Commander t'Lhoell.  Tess, Phara has brought Fvienn down to elementary school.  He seems to be enjoying himself with all the attention.  I'm headed down there presently.  Give a call when you are due for your break and we will join you wherever you prefer." =/\=
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:44:22 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline Finn Moreno

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 06:38:20 pm »
[Promenade]
After Tess and Rayek had decided that he didn't need to 'stay the he** away' from them but apologized instead, Finn had no real reason to put his crew back on the freighter and take off on a long trip without a cause or employment. Instead they had stayed on the station, gotten some rooms and laid low for a bit.
It was time to find a source of income again because Finn had already found a few ways to spent the last (enormous) pay check. Juraan did as well and Cathy, well she was laying quite low.

With a coffee in his hand he was walking up and down the promenade in search of a place that was supposed to be hiring freighters, well passenger vessels for pleasure cruises.
Maybe they needed his services.

Offline Sirol

• Approved Applicants
  • Trusted Member
  • If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
  • Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the player with the best application. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 06:38:58 pm »

Kovnin

While the Ambassador was about to make himself comfortable, Kovnin kept scrolling through his terminal, occasionally narrowing his eyes.
He could tell that at least a quarter of these requests did not require an ambassador and thus were technically sent to the wrong address. It was astonishing how many people seemed to think that Jarok was responsible for literally any matter that even vaguely had to do with Romulans as a whole... Including the question of how to woo one...
"Sylvia Allistair...?", he repeated pensively. He tried to recall a face to the name but he didn't think he had met a Lieutenant with that name yet. Interesting. When Kovnin recited her insult, Jarok's eyebrows rose in surprise, but then he smirked a little. This Lieutenant Allistair seemed to be an impulsive person. "I think I would like to hear the full quote... but from the Lieutenant personally. Can you arrange a meeting with her for me?"

Kovnin gave the ambassador a quick nod, and went back to the original top entry.
“The message was sent from the… USS Discovery… It might take a while till you two might get together face to face… But I surely can arrange a holo call if you’d like me to…
Judging by how that person writes, I bet it’s a delight to hear her speak in person…. I'll owe you one if you let me watch...”

He chuckled a little and took a sip from his tea, giving Jarok nod of agreement towards his reaction upon the mention of Tavrik.
“Let me know when I can relay it. I really don’t like this guy walking up to my desk every day… Throughout the entire last week I told him that you were not here, but I tell you, he's persistent… And apparently without anything worthwhile to do…
Positive Reman representation is one thing… But he certainly does not contribute to that aspiration… He kept creeping out the ensigns who installed the replicators…”

He sighed a little, then looked at the Ambassador again.
“Technically speaking… Do Remans even still fall into our responsibility?
I remember Sirol working with them a few years ago - surprisingly fruitful. Maybe I should ask her to talk some sense into Tavrik... She’s good with creepy creatures, and they seem to like her.”
Kovnin shuddered a little, then looked at the Ambassador, his face slowly relaxing and eventually giving the younger man a - little - moremusing look.
“...The cosmos is growing together. I suppose it’s just a little too fast for old mouldy leftovers like me to keep up with...”

Upon his mention of the Tholians though, Kovnin became a bit more serious again, and put down his mug.
"Well...I think that is not up to us to decide over. Though.. such a noticable presence is ... surprising. If I understood it  currently, the Tholoians had quite the assets of vessels at Katra before it was destroyed in the fight." The Tholians were definitely something to keep an eye on.
“Mmmmh. I read about it. And Sirol told me about the losses they faced in the battle.
Don’t get me wrong, I think cooperation is always preferable to conflict…
It is just… To most people they are utterly incomprehensible, and they never seem to do anything without ulterior motives… Are they really trustworthy all of a sudden?
Their Embassy has been pretty much abandoned for weeks, and I’ve never seen any of them even trying to interact with an outsider… How honest can they be if they are less approaching than an angry Reman?”

< Every point of view is useful, even those that are wrong - if we can judge why a wrong view was accepted. >
Sirol's Browser History
NPCs: Kovnin | Peylix

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 10:21:42 pm »

Katra Auxiliary Drydock - Lounge

"It's the Leyton Rebellion," Mas explained, looking down into an almost comically large mug of beer. 

He was referring to the recent civil war, when an already disgraced ex-Admiral Leyton had surprised everyone by assembling a fleet of fifty starships while claiming a slice of Federation space as his own.  The conflict had been savage, with personnel and ships on both sides containing friends and even relatives who each claimed to be the true officers of Starfleet as they gunned down their opponents on the other side. 

A year of hard and bloody conflict had finally brought an end to Leyton's maniacal plot... but the affair had been as costly as a war against a foreign power.

"Over one-hundred thousand Starfleet personnel were repatriated from his side of the conflict after the surrender.  Many from starships in his fleet, but many more from captured outposts and starbases like Innominatum.

Some of those captured were brainwashed by whatever technology he was using.  Others were legitimate defectors who actually believed his rhetoric and philosophy.  Almost all of them remain out of action.  Starfleet Medical and Starfleet Intelligence have been working on everyone who was captured, but it will take some time to be completely certain of how to classify them. 

There's evidence that Leyton began applying his mind-control technology to assure the loyalty even of those who had already defected freely to his banner... which makes it hard to be sure of the true loyalty and crimes of all of the prisoners taken during the war.  A simple medical scan to detect the brainwashing technology isn't enough.  Any one of those who surrendered might have had legitimate sympathies to his cause.  Traitors in our midst, if they are allowed to resume service.   

The whole thing is pretty horrifying.  We all watched it unfold while at the Academy, wishing we could help... but also glad we were far from a front line that included the brainwashing of prisoners.  I've heard that many of the veterans of the war have been forever scarred by the reality of being forced to kill people they may have attended the Academy with, or served with...  Never knowing if they shot a traitor, or killed an honest friend who'd been forced into the role he was playing."

Mas took a deep swallow of his beer.  Lurians tended to have a dour expression at the best of times, but it seemed that the expression on the Ensign's face had become darker than usual. 

"So, everyways... now Starfleet has dozens of ships re-captured from Leyton's defunct fleet, but whose crews they can't trust.  Those poor bastards might never return to service.  Untold honest beings who are caught in a web of distrust and suspicion.

Starfleet lost only a few of their own honest and loyal ships in the fighting, with many 'only' being crippled.  Those ships have been repaired and returned to service, but the crews of those ships took heavy losses.  Losses that need to be replaced. 

Meanwhile, the fleet yards have continued to pump out new starships on schedules that were established long before the rebellion began.  Everything about that war has left the service with more ships than personnel.  That's why the Officer Candidate School has been turning enlisted personnel into commissioned officers as fast as they can.  And it's why the Amalthea is in its current state. 

Word is, our Captain is retiring.  The Amalthea's old XO and all of the Department Heads are getting their own commands and executive officer positions on new ships.  They all transferred out at New Bajor, at the same time the Amalthea was being packed full of fresh graduates like myself.  I guess Starfleet decided a ship full of Ensigns and Cadets was good enough to hop one sector over for a quick refit.  But if it's true that the Captain is retiring, I have no idea what the plan is for us. 

I was a good student at the Academy.   And I'm as good an Ensign as any, if my graduation certificate is to be believed.  But I'm apprehensive about serving on a ship where nobody has any experience. 

Starfleet wouldn't let that happen... would they?"

Katra Station - Gamma Getaways and Gamma Logistics

As Finn walked through Deck 12 of the Promenade, he came across the storefronts of Gamma Getaways and Gamma Logistics.  The two businesses were owned by a single Russian family.  Alesky Skullovich ran the Logistics side of the business, contracting with independent freighters to run cargo out of Docking Saucer 4.  His husband Boris ran Gamma Getaways, which did the same thing for passenger transport.  All of the local freighter Captains took work here to supplement whatever arrangements they could make on their own. 

As Finn walked into the area, he spied a large, pudgy Pakled leaving Gamma Logistics.  Another man was behind the Pakled, and he quickly locked eyes with Finn, seemingly sensing a potential opportunity.

The man nodded to Finn, "You.  You seem like you want something, Da?  You want ship?  You have ship?"

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:24:54 pm by Solluk »

Offline Don Damien Addams

• Approved Applicants
  • Honoured Member
  • Test
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 12:55:15 am »
Tholian Embassy

Zex offered Kal a nod when he entered the room.  She was glad that he had come.  Eydis needed another friend right about now.

She kept her gaze though on the image of the new director.   "Director Tseyn, I am Zex, friend of Tholia.  I am one of the diplomatic officers here.  This is Kal, security officer attached to the diplomatic office.  We have already started preparations for your arrival and look forward to formally meeting you" she said.

(Forgot to let OCC know there is a new Tholian ship docked. HE would done it. Sorry)

Kal had loyal to those who he know. They become part of his circle of associates. Calling them friends was like a step closer then he wanted. Being a friend one earns to be one. Like one earns to be an enemy to Kal. It was advice not to go on that path. Just to warn the reader.

Yes. Kal was standing with stature of his security role. He was concern of his fellow companion, Eydis. That was one of the things had hated being a human. The condition of the human heart of being weaken by human emotions. So he had much concern of the Tholian who had lost many of his kind. They had fought an honorable combat. Their deaths would not be forgotten or think of the less.

Kal turned to the screen where Director Tseyn was on. Zex was good with diplomacy which Kal had allowed her to do her duty. Kal nodded to the Tholian on the screen. Words are not needed. Zex was the speaker and possible Eydis because it was his own people they are dealing with.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 02:18:12 am »

Katra Station - Operational Control Center

"Well," Solluk said, turning to Tess as she came in, "with a ship full of cadets and fresh graduates, I'm not surprised he needs a rest."  Solluk smiled, but then the smile dissolved as he gestured with his PADD.

"I don't know if you've read the latest from Rayek and Starfleet Intelligence.  It turns out that the Thinkers have created networks within Federation space and beyond.  Based on the information in these reports, it's even possible they were working on this before we encountered them here.  This kind of infiltration takes a long time to develop."

Solluk recalled that the Drecacon had been kidnapping targets for the Thinkers for some time.  The Thinkers' plans to resist Federation encroachment may have even preceded Katra's installation in the Trialus system.  So far, each time the Thinkers made a move, Katra had managed to evade them.  But that didn't change the sensation that the Thinkers were always a few steps ahead.

"There was also a subtle request to keep the Healy on standby," Solluk said.  "Intel has something going on in the quadrant, though they didn't say what.  I ordered the torpedo pods on the Healy swapped out and replaced with the subspace enhancers.  If there's a crisis, it seemed speed might mean more than sheer firepower."

The Healy wasn't a racehorse by modern standards.  However, the subspace enhancement pods could allow her to maintain her maximum speed for much longer than usual.  They'd been designed to allow warp travel in anomalous or disruptive regions, but they could as easily be used to take strain off of the warp drive for prolonged cruising at high warp.

"Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing.  I don't want to leave the station unprotected.  Until the new fighter squadron I ordered gets here, our position is vulnerable."

With the Wanderer attack fresh in his mind, the idea of leaving the station without its assigned starship was anathema to his sense of station security.  Until the new fighter squadron arrived to replace the King Cobra losses, the station's defenses were too underpowered for Solluk's liking.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:22:07 am by Solluk »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles