Author Topic: S2 - M9B - Lod Qan - Fruit of the Poisoned Tree  (Read 25724 times)

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded every January by the FCO.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S2 - M9B - Lod Qan - Fruit of the Poisoned Tree
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2020, 03:34:26 am »

Rayek sogh
[chu' ghoS system - Lod Qan Bridge - day 9 - arrival in Gregari space - 1 hr later]

Engineering - One Hour Later

Torpa made a rude, gutteral sound as she saw the cloaking field deteriorate to a 5% variance.  One more percentage, and the system would reach a critical point and a cascade failure would result.  Her fist came down with significant force on the console frame, creating a loud metallic sound that reverberated through the area.

Looking up towards Cat, she shook her head.  "Minutes left, and not many of them.  I don't think we are going to make it to that dead star of theirs.  The rate of variance is increasing."

A few heads turned as the news was revealed, and then work returned to the laying out of a special coolant line out of the engine room.  An ungainly ad-hoc solution, the pipe ran through the halls.  It was a potential hazard and a partial obstruction, but the need for supplemental cooling was great enough that such brutish measures were necessitated.  To Torpa, it reminded her of an arterial bypass being implanted into the body of an aged man with heart disease.  Many Klingons would have opted to die, had such been their fate.  But the Old Man could not be permitted such dignity. 

Much more would be demanded of him before this mission was done.

Once more at the weapons/tactical station, Rayek was looking over the various passive sensor readings that flitted over his console's screen.   The Romulan missed the versatility of Federation consoles that could allow him to mirror the engineering screen to his own so that he could track the cloak's variance himself.  Klingon ship's weren't built that way, so Rayek had to rely on verbal notification as to the variance percentage.

Last notification it was at 4.75% and rising.  While five minutes before it had been 4.6%.   

The modifications and attempts to cool the ship had kept the variance hovering in the low 4's for nearly a half an hour but ten minutes ago the rise in variance began once more.  The situation did not look promising. 

Long range sensors were not picking up anything within the dead star's system.  However given the relative small size of the Gregari - varying between one to twenty meters in diameter, it would be foolish to assume that the sensors would be able to immediately pick up if there were a handful of scouts in the area.   

He wondered to himself that if worse came to worst... whether the Tholian ship could be used to tow LoD Qan to the dead star.  Probably not - not at warp at any rate - which is what would be needed.  No, if they lost the warp drive before reaching the star it would literally take weeks to be towed to their selected hiding spot at full impulse.   They couldn't afford to lose the warp.

Handing off the station temporarily, Rayek moved to the Captain's right hand side and leaned down to speak quietly at his.  "Captain, the variance appears to be rising at a faster rate.  It's unlikely that we will make it to the dead star as we hoped.  Continuing to push further may only make things worse.   I believe we should plan to drop out of warp and with thrusters set ourselves to seemingly be adrift.  Currently there is nothing appearing on long range sensors.  The deeper we move into Gregari territory - the greater the chance of discovery while our cloak is down."

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2020, 03:52:05 am »

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge

Solluk turned to regard Zex as she asked her question.

"On our previous encounter with them, they only ever transmitted one word to us via subspace: 'Gregari.'  We have taken it to be their name for themselves, although it is not much to go on."

Solluk frowned a bit as he thought back on that first encounter.  It had not been the sort of First Contact that Starfleet officers dreamed of.

"I always felt that they must use some other means to communicate among themselves.  And, ever since we saw some at the Thinkers planetoid, I have assumed that the Thinkers use some other means to communicate with them.  It could be something as simple as some unusual frequency that we do not usually monitor.

If you can help unravel the mystery, there will be a commendation in it for you."

He smiled at her, genuinely hopeful that some of the Gregari mysteries might be uncovered during this mission.

However, any optimism he felt was quickly dampened by Rayek's news.

He sighed.  "For all we know, the Gregari will take as much interest in a derelict as they will an active vessel.  I really wanted the mass of that star to disguise our presence on long-range sensors. 

But... if needs must.   Have all stations prepare to power down their sections.  We will enter quiet running, battery power only."

It probably wouldn't matter.  The amount of infrared they would be putting off, and the amount they'd need to bleed in order to get the ship's temperature back to normal, would mean they'd be a campfire in the desert of the night. 

The only good news was that their heat signature could only travel at the speed of light.  So, while they'd be glowing bright for the duration of their cooldown... that heat wouldn't be seen unless someone came within a handful of AU's of their position.

There were other ways to be detected at long range, of course... but at silent running, they might get lucky. 

They'd better get lucky.

"Tell Engineering I'm giving them two hours to get us back to warp with cloak online.  So whatever heat they need to dump, dump it fast.  I think we have enough food reserves that we can afford to transfer a lot of our heat to the waste extraction holding tanks and blow the stuff out.  Not an... elegant solution.  But something to consider."

He turned back to regard Eli and said, "Get to one of the assault shuttles.  And I'll need a volunteer to take the second one.  If we are found, it may take us several minutes to get main power back online.  For that duration, only our embarked craft and the Tholian attack ship will be available to defend us."

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Hrafn Falleg

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Yes, The spots go ALL the way down!
  • Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2020, 07:33:48 am »

He noticed this even as Hrafn was asking for the man's assistance.

"You have already been given your orders Hrafn lagh' - see to them.  Kal ne' can join you after he runs message down to Sickbay for me." Rayek picked up a message PADD and typed out a message, before shutting the screen and holding out toward Kal.  "You will take this down to Medical.  Hand it personally to either Dr. Fuller or Dr. Padrini and then await their response back."

[Bridge - IKS Lod Qan]

Hrafn nodded in the direction of Rayek, she'd only been going to have Kal help as making the cool packs was less strenuous and a diversion to what was going on.

"As you say Rayek 'sogh.  I will return as soon as possible." the CSO said and moved to go down to the science labs.

Rayek sogh
[chu' ghoS system - Lod Qan Bridge - day 9 - arrival in Gregari space - 1 hr later]

Once more at the weapons/tactical station, Rayek was looking over the various passive sensor readings that flitted over his console's screen.   The Romulan missed the versatility of Federation consoles that could allow him to mirror the engineering screen to his own so that he could track the cloak's variance himself.  Klingon ship's weren't built that way, so Rayek had to rely on verbal notification as to the variance percentage.

Last notification it was at 4.75% and rising.  While five minutes before it had been 4.6%.   

The modifications and attempts to cool the ship had kept the variance hovering in the low 4's for nearly a half an hour but ten minutes ago the rise in variance began once more.  The situation did not look promising. 

Long range sensors were not picking up anything within the dead star's system.  However given the relative small size of the Gregari - varying between one to twenty meters in diameter, it would be foolish to assume that the sensors would be able to immediately pick up if there were a handful of scouts in the area.   

He wondered to himself that if worse came to worst... whether the Tholian ship could be used to tow LoD Qan to the dead star.  Probably not - not at warp at any rate - which is what would be needed.  No, if they lost the warp drive before reaching the star it would literally take weeks to be towed to their selected hiding spot at full impulse.   They couldn't afford to lose the warp.

Handing off the station temporarily, Rayek moved to the Captain's right hand side and leaned down to speak quietly at his.  "Captain, the variance appears to be rising at a faster rate.  It's unlikely that we will make it to the dead star as we hoped.  Continuing to push further may only make things worse.   I believe we should plan to drop out of warp and with thrusters set ourselves to seemingly be adrift.  Currently there is nothing appearing on long range sensors.  The deeper we move into Gregari territory - the greater the chance of discovery while our cloak is down."

Hrafn sat back down... she had noticed a smaller item and dismissed it earlier now what was it... oh yeah.

"HoD, Rayek 'sogh... there is a small comet headed our direction, it's barely big enough to show on the sensors, I picked it up only because of the ions... well there is a differential of 10 degrees in it's trajectory and our heading, about 30 mins away if my calculations of the comet's speed are right, we could hide behind that it would give us some protection?  Details to your arm console, helm and Rayek 'sogh now, but that's honestly the only other thing out there." the redhead said somewhat sadly, but feeling she had at least fulfilled her duty, before heading to the Science Lab.

[Science Lab]

Hrafn found some of the things in the Science Labs strange, but the time she'd spent stripping out the Klingon ships with Cat Goodspeed had stood her in good stead.  She quickly got the computer to erect a containment field, then had the replicator make the quantities of the chemicals she needed and beamed them into the containment field.  They wouldn't produce ammonia gas until they were mixed. Next she popped the resulting mix into gel filled packs and beamed the ammonia gas directly into space, this took around 20 minutes, it wasn't a complicated experiment once the quantities had been mathematically worked out.

"Hubble bubble.... well I think this science experiment is a success!" she said to herself dropping the containment field and taking one of the gel packs and pressing it to her forehead sighing in contentment at the cooling effect.

=/\=Hrafn 'lagh to Ops... I have 3 containers for general cooling stacks per department, except Engineering, they have 6 allocated to them if they have the space, and 2 gel packs per person to be distributed, could the containers be beamed directly to the departments please, I'll distribute the gel packs myself.  =/\=

She figured that the containers she couldn't move herself but the little gel packs were fine as they were hand held.

[Engineering]

Walking into Engineering she looked for Cat Goodspeed and, spotting her, rather busy to put it mildly, spied an Ensign and walked over.

"I know you're busy... but I come bearing gifts.  Tell Cat 'lagh 'Not exactly a knickerbocker glory but 2 gel cool packs per person to help cool you down and 6 containers should be being beamed directly full of the same but sealed, don't worry they're completely safe unless you're stupid enough to try eating the stuff, and then won't kill you just won't taste too nice and be rather smelly... it has ammonia in it.'  I hope these will help though!" Hrafn said with a smile and passed over the packs which were about the size of a standard slice of bread and maybe twice as thick.

"I can't stay, got to get these to Medical and the Bridge too, hope it helps!" the CSO said with a wave and got out of Engineering's hair as they were probably the busiest department on the ship at the time. 

She waved in Cat's direction but wasn't sure if she'd see her, Hrafn just wanted out of the oppressive heat even with her gel packs it was almost impossible for her to breathe in there.

The CSO went on to Medical and dropped off some gel packs there adding a few extra in case of people needing cooled down.  Finally she came back to the Bridge.

[IKS Lod Qan - Bridge]

"Containers should be in place in all departments soon HoD, and then there's these, two per person.  All smelly gasses vented to space!" she added with a wink handing two a-piece to Solluk and Rayek, then to Zex and others around the Bridge as they wanted them.

"Any luck with that comet?"

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2020, 04:29:15 pm »

NPC Ensign Roberto Padrini (Medical)
[IKS LoD Qan - Sickbay]

[...]
[IKS Lod Qan - IKS Lod Qan - sickbay]

"I was ordered to hand this to," he handed the datapad and waited. Why was he was waiting. This was none sense. "Please be hasty. I am needed somewhere else."

The message on the PADD read: 

Kal ne’ has stopped sweating.  Have him checked over For heat exhaustion. Pull him from active duty if necessary.

There were beads of sweat on Roberto's face as he looked up when Kal entered. Of course it was a Starfleet Officer. He doubted that this rudimentary sickbay had ever seen a Klingon patient, except a dead one, perhaps.

Turning to Kal, Roberto took the datapad from him and read the short order, coming from Rayek. Roberto glanced up from the PADD to take a look at Kal. And sure enough the man didn't sweat. But his face was red.

Roberto was glad he had taken his medkit with him from the station. Never would he have believed that the contents of it would be the most modern equipment  he had at his disposal when serving on a ship.

At Kal's prompt to hurry up Roberto put the PADD aside and motioned to the only bed that was in here at all - which was a joke considering the size of the crew aboard. "I'll do my best to be quick."

He retrieved a tricorder and approached Kal. The device felt slippery in his sweaty hand. He did a quick scan which revealed a severe dehydration. His body even had shut down so much that it stopped sweating - normally a trick to cool the body - to safe the liquids it needed to function. However, that would only cause the body to overheat even more.

"The heat's gotten to you", Padrini explained. "We'll need to see to getting you hydrated." Turning to Jayce he asked her to prepare an IV to get some more fluids back into the man.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:13:21 am by Tess tLhoell »

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Catherine Goodspeed

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • "To kittens in the toast!!!"
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »

Engineering - One Hour Later

Torpa made a rude, gutteral sound as she saw the cloaking field deteriorate to a 5% variance.  One more percentage, and the system would reach a critical point and a cascade failure would result.  Her fist came down with significant force on the console frame, creating a loud metallic sound that reverberated through the area.

Looking up towards Cat, she shook her head.  "Minutes left, and not many of them.  I don't think we are going to make it to that dead star of theirs.  The rate of variance is increasing."

A few heads turned as the news was revealed, and then work returned to the laying out of a special coolant line out of the engine room.  An ungainly ad-hoc solution, the pipe ran through the halls.  It was a potential hazard and a partial obstruction, but the need for supplemental cooling was great enough that such brutish measures were necessitated.  To Torpa, it reminded her of an arterial bypass being implanted into the body of an aged man with heart disease.  Many Klingons would have opted to die, had such been their fate.  But the Old Man could not be permitted such dignity. 

Much more would be demanded of him before this mission was done.

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge

Solluk turned to regard Zex as she asked her question.

"On our previous encounter with them, they only ever transmitted one word to us via subspace: 'Gregari.'  We have taken it to be their name for themselves, although it is not much to go on."

Solluk frowned a bit as he thought back on that first encounter.  It had not been the sort of First Contact that Starfleet officers dreamed of.

"I always felt that they must use some other means to communicate among themselves.  And, ever since we saw some at the Thinkers planetoid, I have assumed that the Thinkers use some other means to communicate with them.  It could be something as simple as some unusual frequency that we do not usually monitor.

If you can help unravel the mystery, there will be a commendation in it for you."

He smiled at her, genuinely hopeful that some of the Gregari mysteries might be uncovered during this mission.

However, any optimism he felt was quickly dampened by Rayek's news.

He sighed.  "For all we know, the Gregari will take as much interest in a derelict as they will an active vessel.  I really wanted the mass of that star to disguise our presence on long-range sensors. 

But... if needs must.   Have all stations prepare to power down their sections.  We will enter quiet running, battery power only."

It probably wouldn't matter.  The amount of infrared they would be putting off, and the amount they'd need to bleed in order to get the ship's temperature back to normal, would mean they'd be a campfire in the desert of the night. 

The only good news was that their heat signature could only travel at the speed of light.  So, while they'd be glowing bright for the duration of their cooldown... that heat wouldn't be seen unless someone came within a handful of AU's of their position.

There were other ways to be detected at long range, of course... but at silent running, they might get lucky. 

They'd better get lucky.

"Tell Engineering I'm giving them two hours to get us back to warp with cloak online.  So whatever heat they need to dump, dump it fast.  I think we have enough food reserves that we can afford to transfer a lot of our heat to the waste extraction holding tanks and blow the stuff out.  Not an... elegant solution.  But something to consider."

He turned back to regard Eli and said, "Get to one of the assault shuttles.  And I'll need a volunteer to take the second one.  If we are found, it may take us several minutes to get main power back online.  For that duration, only our embarked craft and the Tholian attack ship will be available to defend us."

[Engineering]

Walking into Engineering she looked for Cat Goodspeed and, spotting her, rather busy to put it mildly, spied an Ensign and walked over.

"I know you're busy... but I come bearing gifts.  Tell Cat 'lagh 'Not exactly a knickerbocker glory but 2 gel cool packs per person to help cool you down and 6 containers should be being beamed directly full of the same but sealed, don't worry they're completely safe unless you're stupid enough to try eating the stuff, and then won't kill you just won't taste too nice and be rather smelly... it has ammonia in it.'  I hope these will help though!" Hrafn said with a smile and passed over the packs which were about the size of a standard slice of bread and maybe twice as thick.

"I can't stay, got to get these to Medical and the Bridge too, hope it helps!" the CSO said with a wave and got out of Engineering's hair as they were probably the busiest department on the ship at the time. 

She waved in Cat's direction but wasn't sure if she'd see her, Hrafn just wanted out of the oppressive heat even with her gel packs it was almost impossible for her to breathe in there.

The CSO went on to Medical and dropped off some gel packs there adding a few extra in case of people needing cooled down.  Finally she came back to the Bridge.

IKS Lod Qan -Engineering

Cat could hear the voice of her red headed friend from behind her but didn't turn her head.

Turning her head too quickly at the current temperatures within the Engineering room would either mean throwing up or passing out.

Neither an option Cat particularly relished at this particular moment.

Cat was trying to multitask but her brain synapses had decided to fire off into nothingness.

Nothing was connecting.  Coming up with ideas was like trying to find a black silent kitten in a black silent castle with no light to guide your way.

Cat caught Torpa's eye and turned, too sharply for her overheated bodies liking and promptly threw up the content of her stomach into a nearby bin.

Luckily it was just fluids, Cat hadn't been able to keep down any solids for the last 36 hours. A common component to heat exhaustion so Cat had been taking her calories in liquid form.

Cat felt a huge Klingon arm wrap itself round her waist and lead her to a chair by a console.  She wiped her mouth on her sleeve and smiled weakly at the Klingon she recognized who had been manning the Warp console.   She  placed her head in her hands and then inhaled sharply as a cold pack was placed around her neck.

Torpa pressed the cool pack firmly and held it there  "Cat Lagh, you need to rest you need to get out of this heat..."

" Torpa, we ALL need to rest, we ALL need to get out of this heat.  And where to we go?  And do what?"  Cat closed her eyes and tried to will the coldness from her neck to the rest of her body.  "We need to vent this heat... We need to get this vessel and the joy riders to safety..." Cat swallowed hard. 

"The venting system will only get us so far, the cooling packs can only cool down the air and if we cool it down too fast then we run the risk of condensation contamination throughout the whole ship."

Cat felt the nausea rise up in the pit of her stomach again.  No amount of cooling packs would replace the fluids from her body. 

She needed fluids and that meant IV. And that meant going to sick bay.  And that meant Cat would be sending the most robust, biggest, strongest Klingon in engineering to demand a portable IV unit for her.

She reached up and clasped the Klingon womans arms tightly. "Torpa..... Torpa...  I need fluids... IV, send one of the boys to sickbay and get a few packs for me.. Oh and portable thing I can wheel around whilst I'm here... And...

Cat stopped and tilted her head very slowly..... "Torpa?"

"The cloak.. I assume between our hulls and the cloaking shield we have some amount of dead space in between?"

The Klingon looked at the human female. "of course Cat lagh... "

"OK.. I want us to start venting in atmosphere from in-between the cloaking device and the hull STRAIGHT to the cooling systems in engineering ONLY!"

"Whilst we do that we start pushing out all the heat from here to other areas of the ship. And then start venting them from any free cargo bays.. Get some of the big brave warriors to shift the heavy stuff."

"Let the rest of the ship heat up while we cool The heart of the Old Man down.  Let them sweat it out for a bit".

Cat felt her mouth fill up with saliva, not a good sign.

Torpa looked at the pale face of the human in front of her.  She wasn't even sweating now. 

"Harl'on!"  Torpa barked at the Klingon closet to her  "Go to sick bay now!!  We need IV suitable for humans, we need 2.. No 4 packs... And holder and lines... NOW!!!!  IF you do not come back with them in 5 minutes I will come and gut YOU AND ALL in sickbay!"

The large Klingon stood up, swaying slightly in the heat and ran from the room.

"Cat lagh.... We are getting the fluids... You will feel better soon... We will not fail.."

The Klingon womans words bought some comfort to the worn out silver haired woman currently semi slumped over the console as she watched the cloak figures.

The 2 hour window should give them enough time to vent a small amount of heat but to bring it down to safe enough levels so the cloak would still work?

What next, would they be expected to pull a rabbit out of their ar...

Cat blinked.  And started to laugh to herself.

"Cat lagh??  Why are you laughing??  Packs.. More cooling packs!"  Torpa voice rose with concern, thinking the engineer's brain had began to boil.

"Torpa.. It's OK.. I'm Ok.. Oh actually a couple more cooling packs would be nice"  Cat took 2 offered by one of the Klingon Warp operators and shoved one under each of her armpits.

"I just remembered a conversation I heard years and years ago... I was a lot younger.. Met a Klingon.... He was retelling a story about when a Trill called Dex... No.. Might have been Dox?? Or Dax.. told him a colourful metaphor which including rabbits and bottoms..."

Torpa caught the eye of one of her colleagues and shrugged.   She had not been around a human before suffering from heat exhaustion.  She did not understand how such a thing could affect a human of Cats build.

Cat puffed her cheeks out and moved the cooling pads from her armpits and moved them in her chest area.

"His name was Kang! That was it..

Cat continued as if she was just talking to herself.  "Lovely bloke... Very very calm for a Klingon.  Anyway I remember asking my Dad about him afterwards.  Apparently he once used a tactic to once bypass a Federation’s detection grid during the short-lived Klingon-Federation War. Was so successful they called, by the Klingons, the Subtle Blade of Kang’. Or something...."

Cat was mildly aware of a small sharp pain in the back of her left hand but paid no heed.   

Torpa slowly and steadily began to knead the IV saline solution bag that was now attached to a portable stand to get fluids into Cat at a slightly faster pace than the automated system would permit.

Cat rubbed her free right hand across her face.  She was so hot now.. Inside and out.

Cat continued "Do you know what he did?? One massive warp pulse into the nacelles. Then dialled down the reactor, except for enough to maximise navigational deflectors and inertial dampeners"

"We could do that Torpa...let the inertial dampeners create a ‘subspace super-fluidity’ we could let the Old Man coast at high warp, with a dwindling warp bubble..... Should maintain speed for around an hour before falling speeds makes it....pointless. Also allows power to be spared to the cloak to account for divergence."

Cat fell silentfor several minutes before speaking again. "Torpa?  Could you relay that to the Captain?  Feeling a bit.. Well.. Fluffy... Might just rest my head for a bit on the console..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:18:25 pm by Catherine Goodspeed »

Never turn your back on a species with tusks, teeth or claws sharper than your own wit.

Offline Don Damien Addams

• Approved Applicants
  • Honoured Member
  • Test
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2020, 05:51:19 pm »

[IKS LoD Qan - Sickbay]

There were beads of sweat on Roberto's face as he looked up when the Klingon hybrid entered. Of course it was a Starfleet Officer. He doubted that this rudimentary sickbay had ever seen a Klingon patient, except a dead one, perhaps.

Well, this half Klingon looked just as grumpy as the Klingons he had met so far. Turning to Kal, Roberto took the datapad from him and read the short order, coming from Rayek. Roberto glanced up from the PADD to take a look at Kal. And sure enough the man didn't sweat. But his face was red.

Roberto was glad he had taken his medkit with him from the station. Never would he have believed that the contents of it would be the most modern equipment  he had at his disposal when serving on a ship.

At Kal's prompt to hurry up Roberto put the PADD aside and motioned to the only bed that was in here at all - which was a joke considering the size of the crew aboard. "I'll do my best to be quick."

Kal was offended when he had watched the medical officer to be quick.

He retrieved a tricorder and approached Kal. The device felt slippery in his sweaty hand. He did a quick scan which revealed a severe dehydration. His body even had shut down so much that it stopped sweating - normally a trick to cool the body - to safe the liquids it needed to function. However, that would only cause the body to overheat even more.

At first the human who raised by his Godparents wanted to swat the medical tricorder out of the young man’s hand. “What is this about—“ he stopped. How dare the commander had him report to sick bay as a trick. He gave a low growl like wolf. He should go face to face to him and demand his position as a Klingon officer would. It was tradition, but he was Starfleet first which had told his loyal was with them first. That was a shame.

"The heat's gotten to you", Padrini explained. "We'll need to see to getting you hydrated." Turning to Jayce he asked her to prepare an IV to get some more fluids back into the man.

“This is nonsense!” He said. “I am fine,” he felt the world spin on him a little. He placed his right hand on his forehead. “It will pass.” Then he felt his muscles shake too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:53:05 pm by Kal »

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2020, 09:34:26 pm »
=/\= I will oblige your request, friend zex. You may inform Commander Solluk of my compliance. I will divert the excess radiation to my crafts torpedos. It should magnify the yield. And could prove useful if we need some assistance or perhaps to Render Aid to crystalline entity. I shall descend and wait at the docking hatchway. Thank you for assistance and thank the commander for his as well =/\=   Eydis would turn and wait at the docking collar hatchway abroad the Lod Qan

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge

Zex listened to the response.  -/\-Thank you, Eydis of Tholia.  Friend of the Federation.  I will inform HoD Solluk forthwith.  Someone will meet you at the docking hatch soon-/\- the Deltan replied.  She then communicated the message to Solluk. 

Later

The conversation about the Gregari was interesting.   They had communicated with the federation via subspace.  Otherwise they were silent. 

They must use something else to communicate.  Telepathy possible?  Something similar to borg hive mind maybe?

"I accept the challenge, Hod Solluk" Zex replied.   She knew that he was likely joking about the commendation.  But it was a nice carrot to help motivate people.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded every January by the FCO.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2020, 05:08:44 am »

Rayek sogh
[chu' ghoS system - Lod Qan Bridge - day 9 - arrival in Gregari space]

[Bridge - IKS Lod Qan]

Hrafn nodded in the direction of Rayek, she'd only been going to have Kal help as making the cool packs was less strenuous and a diversion to what was going on.

"As you say Rayek 'sogh.  I will return as soon as possible." the CSO said and moved to go down to the science labs.

Hrafn sat back down... she had noticed a smaller item and dismissed it earlier now what was it... oh yeah.

"HoD, Rayek 'sogh... there is a small comet headed our direction, it's barely big enough to show on the sensors, I picked it up only because of the ions... well there is a differential of 10 degrees in it's trajectory and our heading, about 30 mins away if my calculations of the comet's speed are right, we could hide behind that it would give us some protection?  Details to your arm console, helm and Rayek 'sogh now, but that's honestly the only other thing out there." the redhead said somewhat sadly, but feeling she had at least fulfilled her duty, before heading to the Science Lab.

[Science Lab]

Hrafn found some of the things in the Science Labs strange, but the time she'd spent stripping out the Klingon ships with Cat Goodspeed had stood her in good stead.  She quickly got the computer to erect a containment field, then had the replicator make the quantities of the chemicals she needed and beamed them into the containment field.  They wouldn't produce ammonia gas until they were mixed. Next she popped the resulting mix into gel filled packs and beamed the ammonia gas directly into space, this took around 20 minutes, it wasn't a complicated experiment once the quantities had been mathematically worked out.

"Hubble bubble.... well I think this science experiment is a success!" she said to herself dropping the containment field and taking one of the gel packs and pressing it to her forehead sighing in contentment at the cooling effect.

=/\=Hrafn 'lagh to Ops... I have 3 containers for general cooling stacks per department, except Engineering, they have 6 allocated to them if they have the space, and 2 gel packs per person to be distributed, could the containers be beamed directly to the departments please, I'll distribute the gel packs myself.  =/\=

She figured that the containers she couldn't move herself but the little gel packs were fine as they were hand held.

[Engineering]

[IKS Lod Qan - Bridge]

"Containers should be in place in all departments soon HoD, and then there's these, two per person.  All smelly gasses vented to space!" she added with a wink handing two a-piece to Solluk and Rayek, then to Zex and others around the Bridge as they wanted them.

"Any luck with that comet?"

Asteroid belt, comet or dead star...  Rayek still felt the best choice was the star - and that's where they were headed.

Twenty minutes past and things were holding well.  Perhaps it was due to the cooling effect of the gel that Hrafn was making.

At thirty minutes, the deviation to the cloak had risen slightly but at what Rayek believed would be a manageable rate.. they could make it to the star.. and so the ship had completely bypassed the comet without thought.  He accepted the gel packs that Hrafn handed to him and placed in at the back of his neck.. held in place by the high collar of his uniform.   The cooling effect was welcome.

At forty five minutes the rate of deviation started it's rise... by 50 minutes Rayek began doing rate calculations to determine if they could make.  It did seem like it at first glance.

At one hour Rayek brought his recommendation to drift to the Captain. 

Rayek sogh

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge

They'd better get lucky.

Rayek nodded understanding the Ca... HoD's reluctance.  He too was not happy but at this point they were too far from any of the previously mentions 'havens' for even an altered course to do much good.

"Aye sir."  the Romulan acknowledged, turning to Zex at communications.   "Announce to all stations to power down, Zex ne'"

He tapped his arm comm unit.   =/\= "Rayek to Engineering.  We are coming out of warp.. and powering down all stations.  The HoD is allowing you and your engineers two hours to get us back to warp with cloak.   He advises for you to dump what heat you need to - fast.   He offers the suggestion of venting the heat to the waste extraction holding tanks and blowing those out.  Conscript what aid you need.  This task takes priority over everything else at the moment." =/\= 

Rayek turned back to the Science station.  "I want tactical and science sensors passively keeping an eye out long-range for any sign of the Gregari."

When the Captain asked for a volunteer to man the second attack shuttle, Rayek truly hoped that Benjin didn't feel confident to speak up.   The Romulan silently willed Benjin to keep silent.  Rayek even briefly considered volunteering, if just to keep Benjin here on the ship, but knew his place was on the Bridge with the Captain. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:19:10 am by Rayek trLhoell »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2020, 02:13:52 pm »

[IKS LoD Qan - Sickbay]

Kal was offended when he had watched the medical officer to be quick.

At first the human who raised by his Godparents wanted to swat the medical tricorder out of the young man’s hand. “What is this about—“ he stopped. How dare the commander had him report to sick bay as a trick. He gave a low growl like wolf. He should go face to face to him and demand his position as a Klingon officer would. It was tradition, but he was Starfleet first which had told his loyal was with them first. That was a shame.
“This is nonsense!” He said. “I am fine,” he felt the world spin on him a little. He placed his right hand on his forehead. “It will pass.” Then he felt his muscles shake too.

Roberto eyed the officer warily as he looked like he was about to go off on him for using a tricorder. It was a mystery to him why he even denied the tricorder's readings, surely he must feel for himself that something was wrong with him. Before Roberto could open his mouth to make the man see reason, the universe was quicker and forced Kal to believe the doctor. Roberto had already tossed the tricorder aside when Kal had raised his hand to his head, about to pass out. So he was already at the man's side when his legs began to give out. "Easy ...!", Roberto groaned as he supported the taller Kal.

Roberto managed to put him on the only medical bed in sickbay and took the IV from Jayce. The short way over to the bed with carrying another man had Roberto gasp for air, beads of sweat now rolling down his temples. That heat, dammit! Roberto prepared the infusion for Kal and then stayed near him in case he got into mischief and wanted to leave. He grabbed his PADD that almost slid out of his hand as sweaty as his hand was. He typed a quick message back to Rayek.

To: Lt. Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Ensign Kal will need to stay in sickbay for now until we fixed his dehydration. I need to advise again all personnel to have an eye on their liquid intake. I also want to suggest shortening the shifts under those conditions if the temperature doesn't fall to a tolerable level.

Padrini

NPC Cadet Benjin Moreno (Flight)
[IKS LoD Qan - Bridge]

Rayek sogh
[chu' ghoS system - Lod Qan Bridge - day 9 - arrival in Gregari space]

Asteroid belt, comet or dead star...  Rayek still felt the best choice was the star - and that's where they were headed.

Twenty minutes past and things were holding well.  Perhaps it was due to the cooling effect of the gel that Hrafn was making.

At thirty minutes, the deviation to the cloak had risen slightly but at what Rayek believed would be a manageable rate.. they could make it to the star.. and so the ship had completely bypassed the comet without thought.  He accepted the gel packs that Hrafn handed to him and placed in at the back of his neck.. held in place by the high collar of his uniform.   The cooling effect was welcome.

At forty five minutes the rate of deviation started it's rise... by 50 minutes Rayek began doing rate calculations to determine if they could make.  It did seem like it at first glance.

At one hour Rayek brought his recommendation to drift to the Captain. 

Rayek sogh

Rayek nodded understanding the Ca... HoD's reluctance.  He too was not happy but at this point they were too far from any of the previously mentions 'havens' for even an altered course to do much good.

"Aye sir."  the Romulan acknowledged, turning to Zex at communications.   "Announce to all stations to power down, Zex ne'"

He tapped his arm comm unit.   =/\= "Rayek to Engineering.  We are coming out of warp.. and powering down all stations.  The HoD is allowing you and your engineers two hours to get us back to warp with cloak.   He advises for you dump what heat you need to - fast.   He offers the suggestion of venting the heat to the waste extraction holding tanks and blowing those out.  Conscript what aid you need.  This task takes priority over everything else at the moment." =/\= 

Rayek turned back to the Science station.  "I want tactical and science sensors passively keeping an eye out long-range for any sign of the Gregari."

When the Captain asked for a volunteer to man the second attack shuttle, Rayek truly hoped that Benjin didn't feel confident to speak up.   The Romulan silently willed Benjin to keep silent.  Rayek even briefly considered volunteering, if just to keep Benjin here on the ship, but knew his place was on the Bridge with the Captain. 

Benjin who had remained on his spot beside Eli had followed the conversation going on. He was looking at Solluk as he gave his orderes and so noticed when he then was addressing Eli to man the attack shuttles. He already thought he'd be left to take care of piloting the LoD Qan then when there opened another opportunity that was even more tempting. The Captain asked for a volunteer to man the other attack shuttle. Oh! Out of an impulse Benjin raised to his feet - his uniform sticking uncomfortably to his skin, just like the hair to his forehead - and looked directly at Solluk. "Sir, I volunteer!" His gaze then shifted to Rayek and to Eli as his department head. He thought if he could convince one he would convince all. "I have studied the reports about the first encounter with the Gregari, Sir", he added to show he knew what he was volunteering for. Of course this was dangerous if the Gregari - or even other hostile forces - discovered them. But Benjin was eager to get real battle experience, the chances were low, but he didn't want to miss out on the opportunity. And he'd have his DH at his side for guidance and would only need to fight until the LoD Qan had powered up.

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2020, 06:05:20 pm »

"Aye, Sir" Zex replied to Rayek.  She turned back to her station.  Then set about executing the order.

"Bridge to all stations.  Power down until further notice.  Repeating, power down until further notice" she said over the open comm channel.

Offline Don Damien Addams

• Approved Applicants
  • Honoured Member
  • Test
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2020, 12:51:16 am »
Roberto eyed the officer warily as he looked like he was about to go off on him for using a tricorder. It was a mystery to him why he even denied the tricorder's readings, surely he must feel for himself that something was wrong with him. Before Roberto could open his mouth to make the man see reason, the universe was quicker and forced Kal to believe the doctor. Roberto had already tossed the tricorder aside when Kal had raised his hand to his head, about to pass out. So he was already at the man's side when his legs began to give out. "Easy ...!", Roberto groaned as he supported the taller Kal.

Roberto managed to put him on the only medical bed in sickbay and took the IV from Jayce. The short way over to the bed with carrying another man had Roberto gasp for air, beads of sweat now rolling down his temples. That heat, dammit! Roberto prepared the infusion for Kal and then stayed near him in case he got into mischief and wanted to leave. He grabbed his PADD that almost slid out of his hand as sweaty as his hand was. He typed a quick message back to Rayek.

Ensign Kal will need to stay in sickbay for now until we fixed his dehydration. I need to advise again all personnel to have an eye on their liquid intake. I also want to suggest shortening the shifts under those conditions if the temperature doesn't fall to a tolerable level.

Padrini

Kal had not liked he was not doing well. This was his fault. Training all lot. Working hard. Damn him and his human body. The Klingons in security are going to feel he is unfit for his position. There was going to be all lot of fights to defend his position.

The IV was warm as the room which he felt in his arm. Most IV was cool as the room. This was not that type environment. The warmth in his arm was making him feel little better. "I am not weak," he growled.

Kal mind was set that he could do anything. His confidence was his worst enemy. He sets his mind to do things. He believe he an achiever of all things. He would push himself beyond his limits which his body goes no more buddy!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:53:41 am by Kal »

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2020, 03:13:52 am »

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge

"All right.  Head to the shuttle, prep it for launch, and be prepared for a hot scramble if we are approached by hostile forces." Solluk said to Benjin and Eli.  Then, to the bridge at large, "Science and Communications- passive operations only until our 2 hour cooldown is complete."

A short time later, Torba bu' stepped onto the bridge.  Solluk swiveled in his chair to regard her.  His first thought was that this Klingon- having detected weakness in her superior- may have killed her.  He felt a surge of alarm and anger at the thought of Catherine Goodspeed laying in a pool of her own blood down in Engineering.

Fortunately, that was not the reason Torpa was here.  She began to explain Cat's plan to use a massive warp pulse and the inertial dampeners and subspace baffles to create a kind of warp-sustainer field.  This was not unlike the technology used in photon torpedoes and long-range probes.  It was not a trick which most Starfleet ships could attempt.  But the subspace baffles and inertial dampeners on the Lod Qan were over-engineered, just as they were on all Klingon vessels.

Solluk took one of the cooling packs which had been produced by Hrafn and slipped it into his Klingon uniform, enjoying the icy sensation against his skin as he considered the plan. 

"All right.  We've just ordered the shut down of main power and the cloaking device.  Bleed what heat you can, and prep the engines for a single hard jump to Warp 7.2.  We will try this subspace supercruise when we bring main systems back online.  It might be enough to carry us the rest of the way to our destination while allowing the core a long period of relative rest."

Torpa nodded, "Hija, HoD!"  She turned to report back to Engineering.

"Torpa?" Solluk called behind her.

She stopped and turned to regard him once more.

"How is she holding up?" he asked.  The well-being of Goodspeed was very much on his mind.

"We refer to the Lod Qan as a He, Sir.  And there is none tougher."

Solluk opened his mouth to clarify that he was talking about Cat, but then he saw the look in Torpa's eyes. 

She had answered his question.

He nodded, "I have had the rare honor to command several of the toughest in service.  Dismissed."

Torpa smiled, turned, and left the bridge.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2020, 04:18:45 am »

Rayek sogh
[chu' ghoS system - Lod Qan Bridge - day 9 - arrival in Gregari space - 45 minutes before shutdown]

[IKS LoD Qan - Sickbay]

Padrini

A loud and annoying buzz from his Klingon tablet drew his attention to the message he received back from Padrini.  Rayek read through the message and forwarded it on to the Captain with a suggestion to have mandatory 'rehydration breaks' every hour for all crew until a means to effectively dissipate the heat.   The Klingons may not need the hydration as much as the humans did, but making it mandatory throughout all would help keep the crew together unified.

He acknowledged the message with a brief response back.

To: Roberto ne'

Understood.  Can you provide an estimated length of treatment?

Rayek sogh

"Aye, Sir" Zex replied to Rayek.  She turned back to her station.  Then set about executing the order.

"Bridge to all stations.  Power down until further notice.  Repeating, power down until further notice" she said over the open comm channel.

Rayek nodded his acknowledgement back to Zex before moving on to the next task.

[IKS LoD Qan - Bridge]

"Sir, I volunteer!" His gaze then shifted to Rayek and to Eli as his department head. He thought if he could convince one he would convince all. "I have studied the reports about the first encounter with the Gregari, Sir", he added to show he knew what he was volunteering for. Of course this was dangerous if the Gregari - or even other hostile forces - discovered them. But Benjin was eager to get real battle experience, the chances were low, but he didn't want to miss out on the opportunity. And he'd have his DH at his side for guidance and would only need to fight until the LoD Qan had powered up.

Rayek's hope fizzled out as young cadet jumped up and volunteered.  Fvadt.   Well, though it was unlikely maybe the Captain would wait to see if someone else - volunteered.  In fact, maybe he should announce the request for a volunteer throughout the entire ship... surely there were Klingons more skilled than Benjin at flying their own shuttlecraft.  But Solluk made his decision before Rayek could even suggest an actual Klingon pilot. 

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge

"All right.  Head to the shuttle, prep it for launch, and be prepared for a hot scramble if we are approached by hostile forces." Solluk said to Benjin and Eli.  Then, to the bridge at large, "Science and Communications- passive operations only until our 2 hour cooldown is complete."

Rayek's expression tightened as he nodded his acknowledgement of the new assignment for the two flight personnel.   While the LoD Qan wouldn't 'need' a pilot for the next two hours, Rayek had Benjin call for a replacement helm officer anyways.

He refrained from reminding Benjin to be cautious.  With luck, the attack shuttles wouldn't be needed.  The thought about such 'luck' prompted a grimace as Rayek realized he was becoming much too complacent... to be relying on a concept that doesn't exist.

Rayek sogh

A short time later, Torba bu' stepped onto the bridge.  Solluk swiveled in his chair to regard her.  His first thought was that this Klingon- having detected weakness in her superior- may have killed her.  He felt a surge of alarm and anger at the thought of Catherine Goodspeed laying in a pool of her own blood down in Engineering.

Fortunately, that was not the reason Torpa was here.  She began to explain Cat's plan to use a massive warp pulse and the inertial dampeners and subspace baffles to create a kind of warp-sustainer field.  This was not unlike the technology used in photon torpedoes and long-range probes.  It was not a trick which most Starfleet ships could attempt.  But the subspace baffles and inertial dampeners on the Lod Qan were over-engineered, just as they were on all Klingon vessels.

Solluk took one of the cooling packs which had been produced by Hrafn and slipped it into his Klingon uniform, enjoying the icy sensation against his skin as he considered the plan. 

"All right.  We've just ordered the shut down of main power and the cloaking device.  Bleed what heat you can, and prep the engines for a single hard jump to Warp 7.2.  We will try this subspace supercruise when we bring main systems back online.  It might be enough to carry us the rest of the way to our destination while allowing the core a long period of relative rest."

"How is she holding up?" he asked.  The well-being of Goodspeed was very much on his mind.

Solluk opened his mouth to clarify that he was talking about Cat, but then he saw the look in Torpa's eyes. 

He nodded, "I have had the rare honor to command several of the toughest in service.  Dismissed."

Rayek was no engineer, so he had no real concept of how difficult a task that Torpa bu' was suggesting.  However, Rayek did know that Solluk had been an engineer in the past so if this plan met with the Vulcan's approval, Rayek knew that it was a least possible.   Unfortunately there was nothing for the Romulan to do but sit and wait for the two hours to pass, watching his tactical console hoping to see nothing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:54:27 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2020, 12:21:20 pm »

[IKS LoD Qan - Sickbay]

Rayek sogh
[chu' ghoS system - Lod Qan Bridge - day 9 - arrival in Gregari space - 45 minutes before shutdown]

A loud and annoying buzz from his Klingon tablet drew his attention to the message he received back from Padrini.  Rayek read through the message and forwarded it on to the Captain with a suggestion to have mandatory 'rehydration breaks' every hour for all crew until a means to effectively dissipate the heat.   The Klingons may not need the hydration as much as the humans did, but making it mandatory throughout all would help keep the crew together unified.

He acknowledged the message with a brief response back.

To: Roberto ne'

Understood.  Can you provide an estimated length of treatment?

Kal had not liked he was not doing well. This was his fault. Training all lot. Working hard. Damn him and his human body. The Klingons in security are going to feel he is unfit for his position. There was going to be all lot of fights to defend his position.

The IV was warm as the room which he felt in his arm. Most IV was cool as the room. This was not that type environment. The warmth in his arm was making him feel little better. "I am not weak," he growled.

Kal mind was set that he could do anything. His confidence was his worst enemy. He sets his mind to do things. He believe he an achiever of all things. He would push himself beyond his limits which his body goes no more buddy!

While Roberto kept an eye on Kal as the IV ran through his PADD pinged with an incoming message back from Rayek. The sogh wanted to know how long the treatment would take. He eyed the IV. It took about 15 to 20 minutes for it to run through, then they would have to see in what state of health Kal would be. Roberto typed back a message, making his reply curt. He just couldn't be bothered.

To: Rayek sogh

Half an hour max.

He then turned to Kal and checked the man's body temperature. He used some of the drinking water to cool the man down with a cloth. It was the beat he could do at the moment.

[IKS LoD Qan - Bridge >>> Shuttlebay]

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge

Rayek sogh

Rayek nodded his acknowledgement back to Zex before moving on to the next task.

Rayek's hope fizzled out as young cadet jumped up and volunteered.  Fvadt.   Well, though it was unlikely maybe the Captain would wait to see if someone else - volunteered.  In fact, maybe he should announce the request for a volunteer throughout the entire ship... surely there were Klingons more skilled than Benjin at flying their own shuttlecraft.  But made his decision before Rayek could even suggest an actual Klingon pilot. 

Rayek's expression tightened as he nodded his acknowledgement of the new assignment for the two flight personnel.   While the LoD Qan wouldn't 'need' a pilot for the next two hours, Rayek had Benjin call for a replacement helm officer anyways.

He refrained from reminding Benjin to be cautious.  With luck, the attack shuttles wouldn't be needed.  The thought about such 'luck' prompted a grimace as Rayek realized he was becoming much too complacent... to be relying on a concept that doesn't exist.

Rayek sogh

Rayek was no engineer, so he had no real concept of how difficult a task that Torpa bu' was suggesting.  However, Rayek did know that Solluk had been an engineer in the past so if this plan met with the Vulcan's approval, Rayek knew that it was a least possible.   Unfortunately there was nothing for the Romulan to do but sit and wait for the two hours to pass, watching his tactical console hoping to see nothing.

Benjin's face turned into a grin when Solluk approved his volunteering. Yes! He was glad his Captain gave him a chance. He realized that a cadet might not be the ideal choice, but he was in his last year at the academy and Benjin did fairly well in holodeck test runs. He glanced at Rayek and only then realized his brother-in-law didn't look that happy. It threw Benjin off for a moment before he then was reminded by Rayek to call for a replacement. He did so, seeking Rayek's eyes with a silent question - maybe it had been too bold of him to volunteer for this? But he had his orders now. Waiting for Eli, Benjin left the bridge, his confidence that had really built up by Rayek during their little trip before slightly dampened now. He tried to shake off the doubts. He could do it!

Arriving at the shuttlebay, Benjin climbed into the shuttle once more. It was definitely better that he have had time to familiarize himself with the shuttle before. Starting procedure was quicker this time and he soon was ready to go.

=/\= "Moreno to Ferris lagh, ready to take off, Sir." =/\=
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:55:32 pm by Tess tLhoell »

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2020, 05:33:39 pm »

Zex accepted an ice pack from Falleg.  "Thank you.  Soooo much" she said.

She put the ice pack on top of head.  It may look odd to the others, but it had it's desired affect.  Then she turned to her fellow crew mates.

"For optimal effect, placement of the ice pack in closest to area of big concentrations of veins is suggested.  Under the left arm for humanoids hearts on the left for example.  But anywhere that helps you will work to some degree as well" she offered.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles