Author Topic: S2 M8 - Seed of the Garden  (Read 24464 times)

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S2 M8 - Seed of the Garden
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2020, 08:13:16 am »
Lt. Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell (7 months pregnant)
+ NPC Lt. Fabiano Moreno (Science), NPC Cadet Benjin Moreno (Flight)
[Katra Station - Deck 2 - s'Lhoell quarters - evening of day 2]

Lt. Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck 2 - s'Lhoell quarters - evening of day 2]

Rayek was relieved that Tess wasn't upset at his manipulation. It eased his mind that she too recognized that an additional responsibility was not ideal at this point.  "I thought you might find it intriguing." Rayek commented to Fabiano. "I'd be more than pleased to hand over the duties permanently, if I thought it would not reflect poorly on me."   

This sentiment was likely surprising to Tess and the others - since prior to now Rayek hadn't complained about any task assigned to him.  No doubt, they like Solluk, thought he was very suited to such a position, given his past.... but that was exactly why he disliked it.  He recalled the lies and the subterfuge that such a position had required of him when he was in the Star Navy.  He really didn't see Starfleet Intelligence being all that different... not if Chevron was a typical example of an Intelligence officer.  Rayek had no desire to return to such practices if he could avoid it. 

Indeed, both Tess and Fabiano looked at him surprised. "You don't like it?", Fabiano asked.

"I thought you might enjoy the privilege of getting your hands on additional information ahead of everyone else, in fact, information most of the crew won't ever get to see?" She knew how important it was to Rayek to collect as much information as possible about events and people. Pausing, she tried to think back if she had missed any signs that Rayek might be unhappy with his duty as SOO.

Benjin joined them and flopped down in the armchair. It was hard to tell who have had enough of playing - Benjin or the ferret Thrafv. He had missed the conversation while he had been busy with the little ferret and now found his father's and sister's eyes on him. Benjin gave a crooked grin, one leg draped over the arm rest to let his foot dangle from it. "Made up your mind, sis? I mean, Lt. Commander?"

Tess looked back at her brother, sighing. She knew it wasn't right, and maybe she was doing the exact thing with her brother she had told Rayek not to do when it came to her, but she hesitated to assign her little brother to a dangerous mission. She was just as worried about her husband, but she knew he had the skill and ability to fight and keep himself safe. After her little brother getting severely injured by the explosion the fake Rayek had initiated a few weeks ago, something had changed in Tess in regards to him.

"What are you talking about?", Fabiano asked, looking from Benjin to Tess.

"He wants to be assigned to the Lod Qan."

"It will be great training and experience for me", he was quick to state. "It will look good in my report I have to send to the academy."

Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell (7 months pregnant)
[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Security Chief's office - morning of day 4, after the transfer of command ceremony]

Lt. Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck 2 - Security Chief's office - morning of day 4, after the transfer of command ceremony]

The look of uncertainty in her eyes as Tess confirmed her promotion had Rayek mentally flogging himself for not controlling his reaction better.  He could see her faltering smile and it stung that this doubt was all because of him.   While he tried to think of how best to explain his poor reaction, Tess reached forward to stroke at his groomed beard and began her goodbyes, but it grew too much for her and she became teary-eyed before leaning forward to hug him. 

He wrapped his arms about her comfortingly. "I will miss you as well, e'lev.  Each and everyday, I will be thinking of you.  I am so exceedingly proud of you and your accomplishment.  Your promotion is undeniably well-deserved... I am just concerned at the added responsibility.   I need you to promise to look after your own well-being as if you were your own patient."

As soon as she felt Rayek holding her gently, Tess didn't hold back and sobbed quietly at his shoulder while she listened to his comforting words. It was only a short bout and she soon was able to collect herself enough. She nodded when he asked her to promise that she would look after herself. "I will, I promise." She pulled back, wiping the tears from her face with the back of her hand. "You take care, please. If you find the time to call or drop me a line, I'll be happy." Her hand came down to rest on her baby belly. "We both will be waiting for your return."

[Katra Station - Deck 1 - Operations Control Center - morning of day 4]

Katra Station - Operational Control Center

"This control center is stupid," Vilka complained loudly, "We're all in a circle, and looking in different directions."

"A circle is geometically satisfying," Grom noted, "and this arrangement is efficient in a service where force is not used to unseat people within your chain of command."

"I always forget how rich the informational resources of the Federation are," Tolec said, "And look at this sensor and communication network.  It is years beyond what we employ, and this is only a small outpost."

"A small outpost in one of the most dangerous places in the galaxy," M'Kai noted as she walked around the control center, taking in the space, "Surrounded on all sides by hostile nations."  She paused at the central holotable, bringing up an internal schematic.  "They should put one of these in the Security office.  We could monitor every individual on the entire station."

"I do not think that is a practice the Federation would follow," H'rel noted, "They value sentient rights, like privacy."  He tapped some icons on his console, dispatching a new Fighter patrol.  "I think I will arrange to lead one of the fighter patrols tomorrow.  It has been too long since I piloted a fighter, and I much prefer a flight console to this dispatching work." 

"Enough chatter," Noh'ves barked, "attend your duties."

At that moment, the station's executive officer entered the Operational Control Center.  Noh'ves had noticed her earlier during the transfer of command ceremony, but he looked her up and down once more, in detail.  He was surprised her treacherous Romulan husband would allow her to keep a post in this state.  Perhaps she was tougher than he was, even while very pregnant.

"Thank you, Commander," he said, his eyes holding on her collar for a moment.  She had not been a full Commander when he'd last seen her.  A parting promotion from her former Captain?

"I will be relying on your advice in the days ahead.  I suggest you join the other officers and myself for a feast... a meal in the officer's mess this evening.  You can acquaint us with anything you feel we need to know.  For now, I must spend some time reading and making reports.  My daughter will be meeting me within an hour's time.  Do not allow anyone to disturb me before then.  The bridge..."  he glanced around, "... Control Center... is yours."

Tess overheard only bits of the conversations the Klingon exchange officers had among each other while she approached the Klingon Captain. However, she noticed Tolec, the Science officer who also performed medical treatment if needed. She had felt to have a good vibe with him and recalled that he had been quite impressed and appreciative of the advanced technological equipment in the station's sickbay. She reminded herself to have another look at the exchange roster, somehow her memory didn't work as well as usual.

Noh'ves seemed to glance at her assessingly and Tess made a point to not break eye contact with him while she wondered what the man was thinking.
She nodded her head in acknowledgement when Noh'ves invited her to a feast with the other Klingon officers in the evening. "Thank you, Captain. I will arrange everything for the meal tonight." She'd look into the database what had been served for the dinner Solluk had held for the Klingons a few months back since they seemed to have enjoyed it quite a bit.

When the Klingon then excused himself to his Ready Room to catch up on everything, Tess nodded. "Understood."

She glanced back to the other Klingon officers, pushing back some self-conscious thoughts about her huge baby belly. She wasn't entirely sure how pregnant women were perceived in Klingon culture. Maybe that had been why Noh'ves had been looking at her that way before. "The Captain doesn't wish to be disturbed", she addressed the officers at the OCC. "Make yourself familiar with your consoles. Feel free to approach me on any issues you might come across."

Tess then sat down in the chair and started to work on the things that had been added to her to-do-list. Later, when it was time for Beja to meet her father, Tess offered a small smile to the Klingon counselor before returning to her work. So far so good.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:44:20 pm by Tess tLhoell »

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Catherine Goodspeed

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • "To kittens in the toast!!!"
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2020, 11:56:50 am »

IKS Lod Qan - Main Engineering

The main engineering section of the Lod Qan was split into two areas.  The outer entry area of Engineering had multiple consoles and status monitors that were focused on balancing power levels between systems, as well as controlling the complicated field interactions between the warp drive and cloaking device.  And now, the innate gravitic systems of their Tholian passenger ship.

Beyond this entry area was a large opening with blast doors that could close in the event of an emergency.  This opening led to the inner sanctum of Engineering, where the Lod Qan's warp core thrummed with bright red plasma, casting the entire room in an even redder glow than was common on Klingon vessels.

As Cat entered Main engineering she was struck firstly by the colour that filled the room from the Warp Core.   Everything seemed to be enveloped in a deep blood red glow as if it was bathing in it. She'd had seen them briefly on the commercial vessels but none of them seemed this deep embedded in colour.

It was oddly.. Comforting.   It seemed less sterile than the Starfleet Warp cores and seemed almost alive.  Like it truly was the beating heart of the ship that pumped around it's aging body the life blood that it needed to survive and carry out it feats of glory.

Out of habit Cat reached out and touched the nearest wall and patted it reassuringly as if to make the room aware she meant no harm and was a friend before she realised she had done such a thing.  A moment fleeting panic set inside her. 

Had she made her first faux par?

As Catherine strode into the area, she was immediately greeted by a proud-faced Klingon woman.

She proceeded to introduce herself, "Torpa bu', daughter of Lorto, sworn to the House of Voch.  I am the head of our Cloaking Team, as well as the most senior engineer beneath you on this ship.  I have been ordered to coordinate with your people to manage the competing EM, Subspace, and Gravitic fields on this mission.  All systems are currently nominal."

She stood stoically for a moment, then her face broke into a snaggle-toothed grin.  "It is an honor to be working with you," she added.  It was a strangely friendly outburst from an experienced enlisted Klingon warrioress. 

The second things she noticed was the female Klingon standing tall and proud like she had been carved from smooth stone.

The smile at the end of Torpa bu's speech took Cat slightly by surprise. 

Cat wasn't expecting that.  A friendly headbutt or punch perhaps but not a smile.  Cat suddenly felt all the tension that had been building up over the last few days melt away like hot wax from a candle.

Cat kept her face as straight as an arrow. "qaleghneS Torpa bu.  I am Catherine, daughter of Bernard and Rose of the House Goodspeed. I am the great great granddaughter of the one who was named loQ tinker veqlargh"

Cat continued her little speech, not taking her eyes off the Klingons. " In my past I was an attendant to the needs of the Empire's chariots of glory and I am here today to assist you in this worthy and noble mission to it's glorious outcome".

Cat straightened her uniform "You would do me great honour if you could show me around your grand engineering room

Cat then allowed herself a broad smile. "And I would be greatly honoured if you call me Cat, a name I only allow those I consider... a friend to use".

Never turn your back on a species with tusks, teeth or claws sharper than your own wit.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2020, 06:08:56 pm »
[Klingon Bridge]

Zex listened for a reply.  None came right away though which was ok.  It was possible that Eydis was otherwise occupied and could not answer at the moment. 

Or was planning to beam aboard.  That was always an option.  And there was plenty of time still.

For now, the Deltan turned her focus back onto what was happening on the bridge.   She began thumping in beat with the other.  To her it was simply a joy to not only witness but also to participate in this cultural phenomenon.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Eydis

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2020, 08:31:37 pm »
[Klingon Bridge]

Zex did not see Eydis and had no idea where the Tholian was.  Luckily she has been assigned to the communication station.  So she intended to make us of it as soon as she was able.

She was amazed by all of the differences between the Klingon bridge and the bridge of star fleet vessels.  For one thing, the Klingon bridge was much darker.  It also seemed to be more compact.

She overheard the Klingon address Solluk after the others left.  There was a tone in the man's voice.  Possibly trying to get a rise out the Vulcan.

It didn't seem that the conversation was going to result in blows, so she headed to her station.  Looked it over.  Then logged it.

-/\=Zex to Eydis.  We are preparing to depart.  Can you let me know where you are?-/\= she asked.

The transmission had caused Eydis to snap back to reality as shi saw the message scroll across the HUD holographic display of the widow. It took hir a few minutes to compose a answer to hir friend zex

=/\=Sorry for the delay, Zex the deltan. I have selected two other tholians to come with me in the widow. I will move over to dock with the Klingon cruiser if it is ready. I will have the Crystalline halberds ready to present to the Klingon chancellor or a surrogate.

[Tholian widow] The widow would begin to peel away from the tholian cruiser and make a slow approach across the station towards the cruiser.

Commander Eydis of the Acrux. I stand ready to complete the docking proceed when ready

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2020, 08:35:21 pm »

M'Kai watched as Noh'ves retired to his ready room, and Tess settled into the command chair.  Then she sidled up next to the Commander. 

"Commander.  I spent some time last evening reviewing the Security reports here, and I have noted a recent spike in illegal activity on the station.  Apparently, an Ensign Wessex is already embroiled in an investigation.  In my experience, illegal activity at bases like this one usually centers around smuggling.  I would like to begin random inspections of cargo moving into and out of the station."

Meanwhile, at the Tactical console, Vilka cursed.  "How do you get these petaQ consoles to show text in a proper language?"

Tolec got up from his console and walked over to her.  "You could simply ask the computer," he said, leaning over her and touching some icons, "But this sequence of keys will do it, as well."

Vilka frowned, "All right, Tolec.  I would have figured it out."

Tolec punched her shoulder, "Not before we died of old age, I think."

The other Klingons, except for M'Kai, all laughed.  Vilka crossed her arms in a sulk, which only amplified the response.

IKS Lod Qan - Main Engineering

"vISov," Torpa declared, indicating that she recognized Catherine.  "You helped repair my father's freighter during the war!" She declared this excitedly, and positioned her hand at thigh-level.  "I was only a small girl this tall when we met.  It was before my family swore ourselves to House Voch.  I remember you cursed violently in two languages and struck one of our men with a spanner when he tried to interfere with your fusion generator repairs.  It was then that I knew Engineering could still be part of the warrior's path!"

Her face fell a bit as she added, "My father died on that ship, the Pok, later that year.  I had been sent to live with my mother the month before.  I would have rather died with him.  We would be in Sto'vo'kor together, fighting the eternal War."

She brightened, though, when Catherine gave permission to use her shortened name.  "You honor me, Cat lagh'.   You will see that this ship is better than the freighters you may have gotten used to.  Let me show you his heart."

She led the way into the large chamber that housed the warp core.  "The core has been modified with upgrades, but this is still the original one, when the ship was called the Ch'Tang."  She gestured as they walked on the gangway that circled the core, "These original D-7 cores were optimised for plasma throughput.  They push massive quantities of plasma through the system.  The plasma is much lower energy than the K'tinga upgrades, which is why it has this red color, but this system is much more reliable, in my opinion. 

Back then, the quality of Engineers was poorer than it is now, and the systems were designed for minimal maintenance and maximum self-regulation.  Unless we are mangled by weapons fire, the core will not fail you.

Where the ship may falter instead is the lack of backup EPS lines.  Our lines are very robust, but if they breach, there is no easy way to re-route the plasma around the breach.  The line must be closed, and a bypass shunt must be quickly installed until the breach is repaired.  It is a hard job, and a dangerous one.  Many warriors lost their lives, incinerated to the bone, repairing such damage.  It wasn't until the K'tinga came that a full set of backup EPS lines was installed on every Klingon cruiser."

As they walked, various other engineers eyed them curiously, no doubt wondering about this diminutive old human woman who was walking about with their Sergeant.  All the more curious because their Sergeant was showing this human the utmost deference.

One man passed a talon coin to another.  "You win.  It has been five minutes, and the exchange officer has not been taken to the infirmary, yet."

His companion took the coin and shrugged, "You forget our new path."

The first man shook his head, "Sometimes, I wonder if we have chosen the right path.  The old ways are not perfect, but they ensured strong leadership."

"Strong, yes," came his friend's reply, "But best?"

Their voices faded as the tour continued.  If Torpa noticed their chatter, she didn't give it any attention.  Indeed, it almost seemed like she was actively ignoring them, and leading Cat's attention away from it.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 02:32:35 am by Solluk »
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Hrafn Falleg

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Yes, The spots go ALL the way down!
  • Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2020, 08:57:25 am »

Solluk entered the bridge of the Lod Qan.  The turbolift that allowed entrance to the command tower was just behind and to the right of the tactical station.  Anyone who attempted to gain entrance to the bridge would have to walk right by the Tactical officer, who could be presumed to be a formidable warrior.

To the left of the Tactical station was Damage Control, a position which liased with Engineering during combat to put out fires- literal or proverbial- and also to manage power levels as required.  The Executive officer would often man this station during a battle or important maneuvers.

To the left of that was the auxiliary station.  It could be configured for any task, but was often used to perform communications duties on a ship like the Lod Qan.

A corridor bisected the bridge, leading to the Ready Room (or War Room, as it was sometimes called) to the left, and the Head on the other, where officers could relieve themselves as required. 

The Captain's chair was bolted to the floor on a swivel, just behind this corridor.

At the front of the bridge, two stations flanked the viewscreen.   One was for Science, the other for the Helm.

Solluk was surprised to see the Science station given such a prominent, forward position on the bridge.  He had heard that on Klingon ships, a Science officer was often relegated to managing an auxiliary station... when they were present on the bridge at all.  But he recalled that Noh'ves and his crew were somewhat unusual in regards to Klingon stereotypes.  No small wonder, considering that his daughter was Beja.  Any Klingon who did not reject such a daughter would necessarily be more progressively minded than most of his brethren.  And she was not the only oddity on his crew.  Indeed, the officer corps who served under Noh'ves were so unusual that it seemed as though the man had gone out of his way to recruit the Empire's misfits and adopt them as his own.

"Captain!" K'mpoc called out, alerting everyone to his arrival.  The Klingon eyed Solluk's KDF uniform with concealed amusement.  Just the slightest quirk at the corner of his mouth.  Whether this was mockery or simple good humor was difficult to perceive, so slight was the expression.  No doubt the man had expressed the same humor regarding other members of the bridge crew, though it was so slight a smirk as to be easily missed... and it was only displayed for the briefest of moments.

"I have accepted this crew into your service, and I shall stand for them as we all serve you."

Solluk nodded, and took his chair.  "I shall receive your service and theirs, and I swear that I shall steer us only towards honor and glory.

Inform Katra Station that we are departing now.  Thrusters only, till we reach a distance of one-million kilometers.  Then take us to Impulse in a parabolic arc out of the system plane.  Once we clear major traffic lanes, take us to Warp Six and engage the Cloak."

K'mpoc took his place at the damage control station as the officers dealt with their various orders.

Then his fist struck the console.

And again.

And again.

It was the beat of a song.  K'mpoc's loud voice- only slightly off-key, began to fill the bridge.

Solluk had almost forgotten this custom, but he began to thump the arms of his chair in time with the rhythm established by his new XO.

Hear! Sons of Kahless.
Hear! Daughters, too.
The blood of battle washes clean
The Warrior brave and true.

We fight, we love, and then we kill.
Our lives burn short and bright,
Then we die with honor-
to join our fathers-
in the Black Fleet where we battle forever-
in the Eternal Fight!

http://klingonska.org/songs/anthem/anthem.mp3

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge, Science Station

Hrafn was momentarily flummoxed singing in Klingon, her alto voice quite high pitched compared to the gruffer tones of the Klingons and male voices, and she felt a little out of place.  She would have to remember this to tell the children, Nevir, Crista and Ujo.

Nevertheless she joined in, including beating time with her fist upon her console, thinking '...better the fist, than trying to use my knee!' the resulting grin on her face possibly translating as some kind of feral bloodlust to any of the Klingon crew, which probably made her seem less like a middle aged mother of 4, Trill-hybrid Science officer who wouldn't hurt a fly.  Of course those who knew her, would know that if you crossed her, hurt her babies (even Ruthie was deemed a 'baby' to her, she was a mother!  Even though Ruthie had weathered 12 years at the hands of a Cardassian Gul and was perfectly capable of looking after herself... probably more so than Hrafn!) or those she considered family... then 'Queen Hrafn' of the Numati welcoming party would look tame in comparison!

As the song dwindled to a close she sat and waited for orders, and wondered how others not on the Bridge were faring in their various departments and how strange things seemed to them.  It certainly was an eye opener but a great experience nontheless.

In hindsight she wished she'd managed to set her PADD to record so that the kids could have heard the song, but it wasn't exactly the Mormon Tabernacle Choir so she thought they could live without, and perhaps Ujo would be able to give a rendition.

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2020, 09:39:15 am »

The transmission had caused Eydis to snap back to reality as shi saw the message scroll across the HUD holographic display of the widow. It took hir a few minutes to compose a answer to hir friend zex

=/\=Sorry for the delay, Zex the deltan. I have selected two other tholians to come with me in the widow. I will move over to dock with the Klingon cruiser if it is ready. I will have the Crystalline halberds ready to present to the Klingon chancellor or a surrogate.

[Tholian widow] The widow would begin to peel away from the tholian cruiser and make a slow approach across the station towards the cruiser.

Commander Eydis of the Acrux. I stand ready to complete the docking proceed when ready

[Klingon Bridge]

Zex stopped keeping beat with the song when she heard Eydis' voice.  She had expected Eydis to reply.  That was why she did not sing with the others.

-/\=Not to worry, Eydis of Tholia.  Hold the line.  I will be back with you momentarily -/\= she said.

Then she turned to the Captain.  Luckily the song had died down enough that she did not have to yell over everyone.  "Captain.  Eydis of Tholia is ready to dock with the ship" she called out.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Paul Wessex

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2020, 11:25:30 am »
<Katra Station>

As he strolled through the Promenade, the events of the last day played over in his mind. The meeting with Lt Commander tr'Lhoell had gone better than expected, and after being dismissed Wessex had taken the opportunity to work out his plan of action to bring this presumed criminal operation to heel. His first notion had been to visit the morgue to ask the resident staff what the findings there were of the manner in which the Nausicaan had tried to take his, and then their own, life. However, his requests over the com had been rebuffed by a brusque individual who, despite not actually answering with his own name, had to have been the still-faceless Ensign Darrow. Another first contact situation, Paul decided wryly. As it was, the report wasn't critical quite yet, but Wessex was not going to be put off by a terse personality for any length of time.

During the station's ceremonious exchange of senior staff - including the transfer of Security oversight to the quite striking Security Chief M'Kai - earlier in the day, Paul was taken by how similar, still in many ways, StarFleet and the Federation Naval Patrol were in such pageantry: obviously, this was largely due to the foundation of both Services; one had chosen to explore the stars, quite reasonably given the discovery of warp drive, while the other had instead turned their direction towards the exploration of Earth's, and then other's, oceans - boldly diving where no craft had dived before. Among StarFleet, the USS Enterprise represented the spirit and flagship of the interstellar vision, but among the FNP, it was the FNS Challenger who shone brightly below the myriad of waves; the inevitable duplication of names a source of no end of half-serious rivalry between the two organisations.

Today, he'd tackle the room-mate mortician in person shortly, but first he wanted to speak to the owners of the shoe outlet who had decided, for reasons yet unsaid, to drop their complaint about the now day-old theft. Solen had reported they still refused to change their minds in co-operating, but Wessex now had dispensation to take forward the investigation - and that included going with his customary gentle touch.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:21:54 pm by Paul Wessex »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2020, 12:20:01 pm »
[Katra Station - Deck 1 - Operations Control Center]

M'Kai watched as Noh'ves retired to his ready room, and Tess settled into the command chair.  Then she sidled up next to the Commander. 

"Commander.  I spent some time last evening reviewing the Security reports here, and I have noted a recent spike in illegal activity on the station.  Apparently, an Ensign Wessex is already embroiled in an investigation.  In my experience, illegal activity at bases like this one usually centers around smuggling.  I would like to begin random inspections of cargo moving into and out of the station."

Meanwhile, at the Tactical console, Vilka cursed.  "How do you get these petaQ consoles to show text in a proper language?"

Tolec got up from his console and walked over to her.  "You could simply ask the computer," he said, leaning over her and touching some icons, "But this sequence of keys will do it, as well."

Vilka frowned, "All right, Tolec.  I would have figured it out."

Tolec punched her shoulder, "Not before we died of old age, I think."

The other Klingons, except for M'Kai, all laughed.  Vilka crossed her arms in a sulk, which only amplified the response.

Tess looked up at the Klingon female when M'Kai approached her with her suggestion. No doubt she was talking about the minor theft that ended in dead Nausicaan. Tess had ordered Ensign Darrow this morning to favor the examination of the body so they could get some answers - probably not that interesting for security than for the medical aspect, but still there could be useful information for them as well.

Returning to the Klingon Security Chief's question, Tess nodded. "I agree, Lieutenant. Go ahead and assemble your team of inspectors."

The voice of Vilka cursing over the console reached her ears and Tess couldn't help but turn her head over her shoulder to see what was going on. She followed the brief interaction between the two Klingons, and when the peal of laughter sounded, together with Vilka's sulking frame, Tess' lips twitched into a grin but didn't allow them to turn into laughter, unsure if it was appropriate for her to laugh at an officer or if it was accepted. Tess managed to hold herself back enough to not laugh, but the little scene had been funny.

The prompt of the investigation going made Tess think it was best to check in on Raiden Darrow. Knowing the man for almost two years now, she knew that he easily was distracted by other things, even if he had been given a specific task to do. Tess thumbed the comm button.  =/\= "t'Lhoell to Ensign Darrow. How is the examination of the Nausicaan going?" =/\=, she asked, not knowing that Ensign Wessex happened to have asked about it only a couple of minutes before. Accordingly, Tess was surprised when she did not hear the deep baritone voice of Ensign darrow but the soft - and nervous - voice of his assistant.

=/\= "Uh ... Crewman Herwegh here, Commander. Ensign Darrow is, uhh- ... he's working on it right now, that's why he, um ... couldn't reply to you personally, Ma'am." =/\=

Tess knew that the translation of that was 'Ensign Darrow couldn't be bothered to reply to you personally.' That man was a bit of a handful. Closing the channel for Raiden, Tess replied to Melanie Herwegh. "Thank you, Crewman. That's all I wanted to hear."

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2020, 02:03:02 pm »

Katra Station - Station Commander's Ready Room

Noh'ves looked at his daughter for a moment, confusion on his features.  Then, "What language is that?  The translator did not convert it."

There was another moment of silence, but then his expression broke, and he laughed, getting up from his seat and going to embrace his daughter.  "My little grishnar cat."

Unfortunately, his mirth was short lived.  It evaporated as he parted from her, and looked down into her face.  "I fear I shall disappoint you, soon enough, daughter."

He rounded the desk again, replicating two Warnogs and setting them down for them to share a drink.

"I was glad you requested a meeting, as there is much I must tell you.  Things that will impact our House's standing in the Empire, and that of House Voch.  There are greater diplomatic repercussions, as well.  But before I tell you, I must know that we can speak as father and daughter, and not Captain and Lieutenant."

"HIja'," M'Kai nodded, and departed the control center.

Vilka, who was now finally operating her station with confidence, exclaimed, "I like this satellite defense network!  Fire-Chain.  Even the name is satisfying."  It was the first positive thing she'd said since arriving.  She began to target various nearby craft, testing the system's lock-on timing.

IKS Lod Qan - Bridge

"Initiate docking, then proceed to impulse," Solluk declared.

Soon, they would begin their arc out of the solar system's plane and begin warp travel.  Then Solluk would see what this ship was actually capable of.  It was a strange feeling to be commanding an antique like this.  He privately feared that at any moment one of these century-old systems would fail.

But then, perhaps he should not be so suspicious of an old ship.

After all, he had recently commanded a Century who had proved quite capable no matter what was thrown at him.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 02:15:28 pm by Solluk »

Offline L'mar Camili Rhade

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2020, 02:55:47 pm »

[ Ensign L'mar Rhade ] | [ Trialus Starlifter ] - Day 3

While it was fascinating to learn more details about the Starlifter’s capabilities, Rhade heard as it was announced that the Klingon Defense Force and Starfleet authorised an Officer Exchange for most of Katra Station’s senior staff including the Captain would swap places with the senior staff of the Lod Qan, save the Executive Officers.

Oh Rhade didn’t like that one bit. He found that an epic sized lack of judgement and incompetence on Starfleet’s behalf in letting Klingons command and hold any authority in Starfleet. The Klingons had been enemies. Warriors that sort to find glory, not adhere to Starfleet guidelines or protocols much less regulations. He didn’t believe this would end well.

He was working at the processing consoles when he had heard the announcement in Captain Solluk’s voice that was probably sent to the Drydock as well. Rhade wondered how the Starfleet personnel were taking this development. He wasn’t stupid to say it outloud though.

”This technology is awesome. Why isn’t it being used widely?” L’mar asked, though he knew it wasn’t something Brian could answer.

Brian’s expression said as much as he shrugged. ”Any reason you could think of could be it.” Brian stated but smiled, ”and yes it is awesome.”

Rhade nodded, ”so Officerrr Exchange?” L’mar questioned.

”What about it?” Brian cross-questioned.

”Neverrrmind,” L’mar said after some consideration and they got to work on the next scheduled lift of the many different particle types from the star.

Offline Don Damien Addams

• Approved Applicants
  • Honoured Member
  • Test
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2020, 07:37:44 pm »
Kost bu' watched with interest when the ship's new Starfleet Security officer marched into the training hall and immediately started a fight with one of the young officers.  It wasn't a bad tactic, doubtless meant to preempt any challenges to his authority.  The brief duel ended quickly.  This man Kal clearly had some fighting talent, but Kost could see that the depth of his experience was shallow.

He called to the men, "In ranks!"  The twenty assembled warriors all formed up in four rows of five.  Then he addressed their new leader.  "I am Sergeant Kost, son of Kolor, sworn to the House of Voch.  These warriors report to me, and I report to you.  A ship of this size would normally have at least four times this complement of warriors, but this is a Diplomatic Cruiser, and we operate at a reduced figthing capacity.  However, I can promise you that these twenty warriors will fight as a hundred."

"Or more," Kal added. He held his Bat'leth with his right hand. His father taught him how to fight like a warrior.

He took a step closer to Kal, looking into his eyes as he spoke in low tones, "Congratulations, Kal ne'.  You bested our least experienced new bekk."

"The least can can be the best in due time," he added to what Kost. He turned to the young officer. "We started as some where. You will be a great Warrior with great honor. Each one of you. You bring much honor to House of Voch."

The implication was clear:  This human from Starfleet would not find Kost to be so easy a target, should the occasion come for them to clash.

"Now, my brave honorable warriors. Kost bu show me what these blood fierce warriors been doing. I had never served a Klingon ship. I had dreamed it when I was a child," he said staring them down.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2020, 03:19:34 am »

IKS Lod Qan - Training Hall

Kost bu' turned to his men.  "You heard him!  Our new ne' wishes to see your prowess.  Make a circle.  Each of you shall duel, two at a time.  Starting with... you!"

He pointed out two of the warriors, who eagerly prepared their bat'leths to demonstrate their skill.  The other warriors gathered around, cheering them as they came together in a clash of steel.  It was just the sort of activity to sharpen what otherwise may have been a dull beginning to the voyage.

IKS Lod Qan - Captain's War Room

Captain's Officer Exchange Log. 

This is Day One of my time in charge of the IKS Lod Qan.

The Tholian attack ship has docked, and we have departed Katra Station.  The Lod Qan is now under warp, heading towards our destination under cloak at Warp 6.  This cruiser is theoretically capable of speeds in excess of Warp 7, but I do not feel comfortable pushing her that fast, both due to her age and due to the interacting gravimetric fields between the cruiser and our Tholian tagalong. 

It will take us several days at this speed to reach our destination: A candidate star system for Klingon colonization.  We will make a system survey and perform planetary scans, to confirm that one of the worlds in the system is suitable for habitation by Klingon colonists.  Long-range scans have been conducted on this system in the past, but scanning a system from light-years away is no substitute for a close examination.

I experienced an interesting Klingon cultural phenomenon when I took command.  My executive officer led the bridge in song.  It was... strange.  Strange to be a Vulcan, raised under a philosophy of minimizing violence.  Now to find myself leading a Klingon ship, singing songs about blood and violence.  If you had asked me five years ago what I would be doing five years hence, I would never have guessed about such a path.

I am about to send invitations to the officers of this ship to join me for a feast in the mess hall in a few hours.  We will toast to the success of our mission, sample the... rather unfortunate Klingon cuisine, and perhaps touch base on some of our experiences. 

I continue to be apprehensive about the potential necessity of defending my position at some point during this journey.  Although I qualified as a martial arts instructor on Vulcan during my youth, I wonder how I might fare against a warrior who has been training himself to kill since the day he was old enough to pick up a sword.

I can only hope that I have the skill not only to defend myself, but also to subdue a dangerous foe without killing them. 

Time will tell.

End Log.

Offline Hrafn Falleg

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Yes, The spots go ALL the way down!
  • Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2020, 12:48:27 pm »
[Bridge - IKS Lod Qan]

Not having much to do at this point in the journey, Hrafn was keeping an eye on her passive scans and, on her personal PADD had sent a message to Nevir, one to the children via Crista, and one to Ujosso.

It was with Ujosso and the children in mind, but addressing both the Captain and Zex she opened a channel to Eydis so she could hear too as it might interest the Tholians... swivelled in her chair and said.

"Welcome Eydis of Tholia, I'm pleased to work with you again.  The children recall their time on your ship with pleasure, and ask that I relay greetings to you.  Captain, Ensign Zex... a thought just occurred to me.  We sang a song when we were about to embark, which, while not an imposition, was a surprise to me and I think some of us who aren't Klingons." the CSO paused contemplating how best to broach the subject.

"We are blessed on the station to have a multitude of species, embassies and so on, and our own Diplomatic Corps.  I was wondering, might it be possible for our allies to be persuaded to give some... I'll call them 'crash courses' for want of a better name for them, on the customs both for formal occasions and on ships and so on.  Our crewmembers could take them almost like the idea of 'night classes' on Earth - extra curricular courses.  Maybe they could be endorsed by the Starfleet Academy so some kind of official accreditation could be given.  And thus, some of us would be more prepared for this sort of thing.  I'm not saying that I should be taking on our current XO with a bat'leth... although I'm out of practice, I can wield one.  My time on the USS Phoenix with Ragnar Hughes saw to that.  His philosophy was that we might not be able to choose our weapons so should be prepared to fight with whatever we could lay our hands on.  I personally don't like most weapons but if it's my life or theirs.... "

Realising she was rambling because she was bored she shrugged.  "Just an idea.  When can we expect to be at this star system and do we have a name for it so I may do some research on it?"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:00:58 pm by Hrafn Falleg »

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Offline Eli Ferris

• Approved Applicants
  • Trusted Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2020, 01:12:04 pm »
IKS Lod Qan| Eli Ferris (prior to departure)

Eli inclined his head towards the Klingon officer doling out assignments. He tensed slightly at the "ensign" ranking, rather than his own lieutenant status. It was a small matter of pride and he briefly thought of bringing it up with Solluk. But, seeing Hfran take her own ranking with honor reminded him of his own duty.

"I accept this responsibility."

Eli moved over, Klingon uniform making an odd sound. He had hardly had time to get it replicated in the right size, plus a communication. He couldn't even begin to guess  how often he would hit his chest. The Klingons might think him quite mad by the end.

Solluk entered the bridge of the Lod Qan.  The turbolift that allowed entrance to the command tower was just behind and to the right of the tactical station.  Anyone who attempted to gain entrance to the bridge would have to walk right by the Tactical officer, who could be presumed to be a formidable warrior.

To the left of the Tactical station was Damage Control, a position which liased with Engineering during combat to put out fires- literal or proverbial- and also to manage power levels as required.  The Executive officer would often man this station during a battle or important maneuvers.

To the left of that was the auxiliary station.  It could be configured for any task, but was often used to perform communications duties on a ship like the Lod Qan.

A corridor bisected the bridge, leading to the Ready Room (or War Room, as it was sometimes called) to the left, and the Head on the other, where officers could relieve themselves as required. 

The Captain's chair was bolted to the floor on a swivel, just behind this corridor.

At the front of the bridge, two stations flanked the viewscreen.   One was for Science, the other for the Helm.

Solluk was surprised to see the Science station given such a prominent, forward position on the bridge.  He had heard that on Klingon ships, a Science officer was often relegated to managing an auxiliary station... when they were present on the bridge at all.  But he recalled that Noh'ves and his crew were somewhat unusual in regards to Klingon stereotypes.  No small wonder, considering that his daughter was Beja.  Any Klingon who did not reject such a daughter would necessarily be more progressively minded than most of his brethren.  And she was not the only oddity on his crew.  Indeed, the officer corps who served under Noh'ves were so unusual that it seemed as though the man had gone out of his way to recruit the Empire's misfits and adopt them as his own.

"Captain!" K'mpoc called out, alerting everyone to his arrival.  The Klingon eyed Solluk's KDF uniform with concealed amusement.  Just the slightest quirk at the corner of his mouth.  Whether this was mockery or simple good humor was difficult to perceive, so slight was the expression.  No doubt the man had expressed the same humor regarding other members of the bridge crew, though it was so slight a smirk as to be easily missed... and it was only displayed for the briefest of moments.

"I have accepted this crew into your service, and I shall stand for them as we all serve you."

Solluk nodded, and took his chair.  "I shall receive your service and theirs, and I swear that I shall steer us only towards honor and glory.

Inform Katra Station that we are departing now.  Thrusters only, till we reach a distance of one-million kilometers.  Then take us to Impulse in a parabolic arc out of the system plane.  Once we clear major traffic lanes, take us to Warp Six and engage the Cloak."

K'mpoc took his place at the damage control station as the officers dealt with their various orders.

Then his fist struck the console.

And again.

And again.

It was the beat of a song.  K'mpoc's loud voice- only slightly off-key, began to fill the bridge.

Solluk had almost forgotten this custom, but he began to thump the arms of his chair in time with the rhythm established by his new XO.

Hear! Sons of Kahless.
Hear! Daughters, too.
The blood of battle washes clean
The Warrior brave and true.

We fight, we love, and then we kill.
Our lives burn short and bright,
Then we die with honor-
to join our fathers-
in the Black Fleet where we battle forever-
in the Eternal Fight!

http://klingonska.org/songs/anthem/anthem.mp3

Eli took his station situating himself around the unfamiliar controls. He took in the red display, identifying backward and forward, as well as moving to warp. With great care he ran his hand down the sturdy construction of the console. He could feel the power pulse, a sign of both the ship's age and construction.

As the signing started Eli drummed along, taking in the words and adding his own baritone tones to it. Slightly off key, of course-singing was not his strong suit but he had a strong voice and a good sense of rhythm to fake it well.

Once done, Eli took the ship to warp, at Solluk's command. He couldn't help but feel under inspection. Maybe it was just the close fitting collar of his uniform.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles