News:

The Federation Ban on Synthetic Life has been lifted.

Main Menu

S2 - M11 - The Gathering of Angels

Started by Solluk, November 30, 2020, 06:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayek trLhoell

Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck One - OCC]

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on December 02, 2020, 12:31:02 PM

Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell with Fvienn
[Katra Station - OCC]

Tess' own smile grew at seeing his. She shifted Fvienn in her arms while Rayek glanced about the OCC. She noted that Solluk wasn't here, so Rayek was the senior officer on duty right now which he had to give to someone else present.

His question drew her eyes away from their son. "I'm in the mood for eating out, if you don't mind? I've heard they have some new dishes on the menu of the 'IDIC'. Andorian redbat." She grinned at Rayek. "Have you ever heard of that?"

Rayek grimaced when his first glance about showed no suitable candidate to assume watch of Ops.  He tapped his comm.

=/\= "tr'Lhoell to Lt Ferris. Please report to Ops to cover off the duty station. tr'Lhoell out." =/\=

The Romulan turned his smile towards his wife, who made mention of an unfamiliar Andorian dish.  He shook his head in answer to her question.  "No, actually I haven't.  Andoria was not a planet that Ambassador Kalavak ever made it to during his three years touring the Federation. But I'm willing to try it with you, if you like."

He glanced at the time.  The IDIC restaurant was a rather busy establishment.  They might be forced to wait a while since the lunch crowd could very well be including the shore leave crews from the other vessels.

"Did you want pre-order our meal while we wait for Eli to arrive here?" he asked.

NPC Cathy Daniels
[Freighter Wonderland]

Quote from: Finn Moreno on December 02, 2020, 06:16:16 PM

[Wonderland freighter]
It had taken a while to get there but the Wonderland finally arrived at the drop off destination without further incidences. Their precious cargo was still on board and the crew had grown closer over the past weeks and more fond of each other.
It had taken Finn a few days to get over the attack by the raiders and even longer for the bruises and swelling to subside. After all his freighter didn't have a medbay. So his arm was still a bit stiff but he planed on having his employers pay for that.
Now the task at hand was the drop off.
Now that they were in the orbit of the Trialus sun, he got a bit nervous.
"We're approaching the Conundrum. Let's slow down a bit, be really careful before another unpleasant surprise awaits us."
Finn had handed over the controls to Cathy, who had proven to be a decent co pilot.
He got up and checked the scanners for any unusual readings. "I can't wait to get rid of this fu#;ing cargo. I'm not doing that again, I tell you."
He gave Juraan a meaningful look.
"What about you? Are you staying on Katra or staying on my crew?"

Cathy accepted the flight controls from Finn and kept the ship at a distance while she checked the sensors for a ship that matched their contact vessel.

Finn's question to Juraan caught her attention. She'd originally joined the crew just in lieu of passenger fees but during the few runs that she had done with Finn and Juraan she'd grown really close to them and if she was honest with herself she didn't really want to leave the Wonderland anytime soon... well, maybe just for a short visit to the station. Do a bit of shopping..

"Of course, he's staying with us. We're the only reason he's in this place.  You might not have seen his grimace when our pick-up mentioned our destination, but I did.  I'm thinking he burnt a few bridges when he left home.  But that's okay Juraan.  We're here for ya."

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Tess tLhoell

Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell with Fvienn (5 weeks old)
[Katra Station - OCC]

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on December 03, 2020, 01:35:36 AM

Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell

Rayek grimaced when his first glance about showed no suitable candidate to assume watch of Ops.  He tapped his comm.

=/\= "tr'Lhoell to Lt Ferris. Please report to Ops to cover off the duty station. tr'Lhoell out." =/\=

The Romulan turned his smile towards his wife, who made mention of an unfamiliar Andorian dish.  He shook his head in answer to her question.  "No, actually I haven't.  Andoria was not a planet that Ambassador Kalavak ever made it to during his three years touring the Federation. But I'm willing to try it with you, if you like."

He glanced at the time.  The IDIC restaurant was a rather busy establishment.  They might be forced to wait a while since the lunch crowd could very well be including the shore leave crews from the other vessels.

"Did you want pre-order our meal while we wait for Eli to arrive here?" he asked.

When Rayek suggested to try the new dish with her, Tess nodded. "Absolutely." It was strange. Ever since Fvienn was born, Tess felt like trying out new things more while before something like a bat had never been something she felt the desire to try out.

She chuckled as she watched Fvienn eating his fist and making funny noises while he did. At Rayek's suggestion, Tess nodded. "Oh, that might be a good idea. Here, can you take him for a moment?" She handed Fvienn over to Rayek before she produced her PADD and checked the capacity of the IDIC. The establishment, run by a Vulcan, not only celebrated the Vulcan motto of diversity in the variety of dishes they offered. The species of the employees, too, showed a remarkable variety. Tess imagined that it surely didn't always go as smooth behind the scenes as it might look. But the Vulcan owner seemed to be able to handle it well. The estrablishment was one of the best running on the station, for sure. "It's full up", she confirmed Rayek's non-expressed assumption. Making a few taps on the PADD, Tess pre-ordered their meals.

NPC Juraan Ren
[Aboard the 'Wonderland' - Trialus system]

Quote from: Finn Moreno on December 02, 2020, 06:16:16 PM

[Wonderland freighter]
It had taken a while to get there but the Wonderland finally arrived at the drop off destination without further incidences. Their precious cargo was still on board and the crew had grown closer over the past weeks and more fond of each other.
It had taken Finn a few days to get over the attack by the raiders and even longer for the bruises and swelling to subside. After all his freighter didn't have a medbay. So his arm was still a bit stiff but he planed on having his employers pay for that.
Now the task at hand was the drop off.
Now that they were in the orbit of the Trialus sun, he got a bit nervous.
"We're approaching the Conundrum. Let's slow down a bit, be really careful before another unpleasant surprise awaits us."
Finn had handed over the controls to Cathy, who had proven to be a decent co pilot.
He got up and checked the scanners forcany unusual readings. "I can't wait to get rid of this fu#;ing cargo. I'm not doing that again, I tell you."
He gave Juraan a meaningful look.
"What about you? Are you staying on Katra or staying on my crew?"

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on December 03, 2020, 01:35:36 AM

NPC Cathy Daniels
[Freighter Wonderland]

Cathy accepted the flight controls from Finn and kept the ship at a distance while she checked the sensors for a ship that matched their contact vessel.

Finn's question to Juraan caught her attention. She'd originally joined the crew just in lieu of passenger fees but during the few runs that she had done with Finn and Juraan she'd grown really close to them and if she was honest with herself she didn't really want to leave the Wonderland anytime soon... well, maybe just for a short visit to the station. Do a bit of shopping..

"Of course, he's staying with us. We're the only reason he's in this place.  You might not have seen his grimace when our pick-up mentioned our destination, but I did.  I'm thinking he burnt a few bridges when he left home.  But that's okay Juraan.  We're here for ya."

Juraan too was in the cockpit area. The Bajoran was relaxing in one of the seats in the back, one knee tucked up with the boot on the seating surface. On top of that knee rested his elbow, holding his personal datapadd in his hand. The other leg was stretched out full lenth, his body tilted to lean against the corner of the seat.

He heard Finn and Cathy speaking, but wasn't really paying attention since he was distracted by reading something on his padd. Only the change in tone and volume in Finn's voice made him register that the Captain was addressing him. Juraan looked up over the rim of the padd, grey eyes fixating on Finn as he considered the question for a moment.

Before he had made up his mind how to reply, Cathy did for him. Not only did she that but she also revealed how much of an attentive person she was. Juraan's lingered on her for a long moment. While he didn't want to come across as very mysterious, he preferred it to keep personal things to himself. That Cathy was able to read him that well was slightly disturbing to the Bajoran. But not so much that it would change anything in his behavior towards her. Especially given her last words.

His face relaxed and he even smiled weakly. "You heard it", Juraan anwered Finn. Then faltered a moment, pondering if he should add something to that. "I've visited Katra Station before. It's pretty decent. There are some good opportunities to spend hard earned money." The pub for him. Then probably Blue Belles.

Little did he know that the USS Discovery and the USS Challenger were on the way to visit that same place - with his former Captain Tekin Nevir, former Executive Officer, now Captain Ian Galloway and former shipmate Torra on board.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Finn Moreno

[Wonderland]
Finn hadn't been as perceptive as Cathy. he, too, was surprised what she had picked up about the Bajoran, who did not deny it. Whatever his reasoning may be, Finn didn't care. The man had earned his trust by fighting side by side with him.
"I have to tell you two, that I'm glad you're planning to stay on my crew. I've actually decided to give you each 20 percent of the earnings. I'm keeping 20 as well, the rest is for ship maintenance and expenses."
The deal was more than fair.

He double checked the scanners and everything he could make out before the drop off.
"Let's get rid of our cargo before anyone else can get the idea to steal it. Cathy, make sure the ID, they are transmitting isn't forged."

When the ship slowly approached the larger ship, where they were supposed to offload, he noticed that they weren't the only ones.
Knitting his brow he hesitated for a moment.
"That's odd...why are there other freighters approaching?"
Opening a channel to the larger freighter he said. "This is a message of the Conundrum. This is the Wonderland. We're approaching your freighter to drop off some cargo. Sending my ID code now, requesting yours. Please confirm the drop off."

Catherine Goodspeed

Quote from: Solluk on December 03, 2020, 12:41:11 AM

Katra Station - Station Commander's Ready Room - Before Cat's meeting with Beja

Hearing a metallic rapping at his door, Solluk shook his head.  For an engineer, Lieutenant Goodspeed could be oddly reticent to use modern amenities.  He touched an icon on his desk and said, "Come in, Lieutenant."

He stood, taking up a tea pot and pouring them both a cup of the High Seleyan blend.  This was not the sacred tea ceremony of his people, but it was a degree more formal than he usually shared with others.  He had only poured tea for a handful of officers over the years.

"I hope you don't mind tea.  You deserve something stronger, but it's a bit early in the day."  He gestured to the seat he'd prepared for her before taking his own.   He lifted his cup and took a sip, nodding appreciatively before setting it down again.  The high altitude of the Seleyan leaves made the leaves somewhat bitter, but also added a pleasant tang.  The combination was pleasing to his palette.

"I know you've been gearing up the drydock and station engineering teams for the past couple of weeks.  Adjusting leaves so that we have maximum staffing.  And now, the moment is upon us.  I also know you are not well pleased with most Starfleet upgrades.  But I can attest that this particular system works.  It's been field-tested for over a year on multiple ships.  So I hope you'll approach this refit cycle with optimism and positivity."  He gave her a significant look, "Especially as the system's inventor is likely to be with us.  I believe he currently serves on the Discovery."

He turned his desk terminal's screen to face her.  "The Point-of-Impact system is something you are doubtless familiar with from reading the Starfleet trade journals, but indulge this ex-Engineer his presentation."  He smirked, taking another sip of his tea before continuing, touching a key on his touchpad to begin the graphic.

"As you know, shield systems have always concentrated their efforts at the point of impact of enemy weapons.  High-load areas are supported by energy and heat dissipation from adjacent lower-load areas.  This was done by a combination of automated systems and manual intervention from tactical and operations officers."

"But even automated systems have a delay of multiple milliseconds in transferring shield power, and this can result in breaches before the reallocation of shield energy can be completed.  The seed of change that would lead to the Point-of-Impact shield system came with the innovation of Doctor Reyga, a Ferengi scientist who invented the multiphasic shield system.  Part of that system used an improved EPS flow regulator of his own design, which helped shield reallocation to occur 10% faster.  This single component was critical for the future developments that would follow.

Decades later, it was the Chief Engineer of the Challenger, a Ferengi named Lek, who continued the development of this improved EPS flow technology, integrated it with improved systems reaction circuitry, and linked the whole affair to the ship's sensors.  Altogether, this resulted in a shield system that could transfer energy 25% more quickly and efficiently.  Moreover, it could initiate energy transfers before the weapon impacts actually occurred, using the ship's sensors to anticipate an impact.

This prototype was further refined by the Engineers at Starfleet R&D, by installing a dedicated EPS network that feeds the shield system in parallel to the main EPS system.  This parallel dedicated system not only increases shield energy transfer rates by a further 15%, but isolates the main systems from power surges caused when shields are overloaded.  This means fewer exploding control panels and console power relays, even on ships that don't have holo-control interfaces."

"So, as you can see, the most time-consuming part of your job over the next several weeks will be to install these parallel EPS systems.  I'd like the EPS conduits, flow-regulators, and control subsystems to be prepared prior to each vessel's arrival in drydock, and then I want you to coordinate with the Engineering teams on the ship to get the installation done in 48 hours per vessel.  It will be a three-shift, round-the-clock process.  And, while all of this is going on at drydock, separate teams will be installing the system on Katra Station itself.

... and while all of this is going on at Katra, you will need to work with the Diplomatic Department to facilitate any installations they need for the holiday celebrations.

Oh... and the Discovery is getting a prototype Quantum Slipstream System.  But Starfleet assures us that this is a plug-and-play installation into the main Deflector room."

He took another sip from his cup, giving Goodspeed a chance to either laugh or cry.

Whilst taking all the additional information in Cat took a tentative sip of the tea the Captain had prepared for her.

To her surprise she found the taste extremely pleasant.  It reminded her of something her Grandmother used to serve for special occasions; served in old delicate tea cups decorated with tiny roses.

Whilst taking another sip Cat visibly relaxed as the Captain explained  what seemed to be a decent field testing of the new shield systems.  It was so nice sometimes to just sit and listen to someone who found all things engineering as exciting and interesting as she did.  She knew  she made some people's eyes glaze over and roll over in their heads like a shark as she waxed lyrically on some obscure engineering fact she'd just found out.

The Captain's meaningful look he gave her as he explained the inventor would be on the station during this time wasn't missed and made it difficult for her to try and keep a straight professional face.

Damn, people had started to get to know her too well.

Cat made a promise to herself to play very nicely indeed.

One thing that always set Cat's teeth on edge was sometimes Starfleets lack of practical and long term testing of new ideas before rolling them out to the rest of the fleet.

But this new shield system?  This seemed to have been created by actual engineers on actual Federation ships in actual working conditions rather than simulated prototypes in a lab somewhere.

Cat carefully put her tea down and cleared her throat.

"Well sir, frankly I'm relieved to hear that the new shielding started off as an idea from people who get their hands dirty, if you get my meaning.  Plus the fact it's been actually field tested for over a year on multiple ships fills me with rather more happy feelings than negative."

Cat gave a warm smile that actually reached her eyes.  "The boys and girls on the dry dock are itching to start getting the work done or so I've been told, they do like new shiny things to fit."

Cat briefly checked the PADD in her hand.   "48 hours deadline shouldn't be an issue Sir. I've allocated for any short notice staff absence so we have an extra body for each shift just in case plus each shift will be led by people I  know will get the work done.  Might also help speed things up a bit in case we come across something else that needs sorting out during the refits."

She looked up and caught the Captain's eyes  "Happy with The Healy refit Sir as long as no one touches or messes about with her warp core.  I won't appreciate another engineer from another vessel touching her.... inner sanctum so to speak.  She's been working like a dream for an old girl and we need to keep her little beating heart content Sir"

And if Cat found out anyone had decided to fiddle about with The Healy over and above the refit requirements they would find themselves being served a very large portion of unpleasantness.

Cat picked up her tea and took another sip.  "I must say Sir this tea is delicious!"

Cat leaned in towards the Captain as if someone was behind her listening in  "If I can speak frankly Sir...This....prototype Quantum Slipstream System... Would it surprise you that those words aren't filling me with holiday joy?"

Cat smiled "and on the subject of holiday joy.... Ever made a Gingerbread house sir?

Never turn your back on a species with tusks, teeth or claws sharper than your own wit.

Solluk

SS Conundrum - buy'mal Class frieghter - In orbit of the Trialus sun

Slidri glanced towards the incoming transmission, "The Wonderland is hailing us, Captain."

Driva nodded, "Scan them.  Do they have the crystals?"

Slidri checked her console, then nodded, "The full load."

"They didn't skim any?" Driva asked.

Slidri shook her head, "Not a gram, as near as I can tell."

Driva nodded appreciatively, "Not bad.  Be sure to put them on the preferred merchant list before you send our final data packet to HQ.  Holo-filters up.  Put them through."

A moment later, a Cardassian face would appear on the Wonderland's viewscreen:

"This is Captain Kemet, of the Conundrum.  Wonderland, we are reading you.  We have established a holding pattern for inbound freighters, as we are transferring quite a bit of cargo.  Your clearance to load will be in 8 hours, just after the Yadyam.  There are six vessels in pattern before you.  Please stand-by until you are called.  If you wish, you may hold at Katra station until your slot opens.  There is nothing illicit about your cargo.  No worries about the authorities.  And the station security is competent enough that you won't need to worry about your load.  Might as well enjoy a bit of station time until we're ready for the transfer."

Everything Driva said was calculated to make this highly unusual situation seem as casual as possible.  It was very important that no special alarm was attached to this transaction beyond its obvious value.  For a time, she had considered refusing ships a stay at Katra due to the danger that someone would talk.  But in the end, she deemed that such a refusal would have almost guaranteed loose lips due to its unusual nature.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Catherine Goodspeed

Quote from: Beja on December 02, 2020, 11:37:56 PM

Katra Station - Counseling Office - (After Captain Solluk and Goodspeed's talk)

Hmm, I don't know, it might be too violent for the non-Klingon younger ones? We want this to be a joyous celebration right? I'm not sure that a poor elderly woman trampled by reindeer is the best for that"¦.." Beja replied to Cat, and reached down to straighten out the Santa Hat on top of Mon's head.

Oh, I've been practicing, what do you think of this?" Beja took a big sip of the nog that Goodspeed had praised as being the drink of the Christmas Season for humans. The sweet and spiced drink wasn't bad, it wasn't Klingon bloodwine, or prune juice, but it was pretty good. It ended up being better with some bloodwine in it!

Suddenly Beja began to belt out at the top of her lungs, a Merry Christmas Carol. Cat had explained that one of the ways that humans spread their Christmas Cheer was through songs for all of them to hear!

Beja beamed brightly over at Cat when she finished, "œWhat do you think?"

The receptionist announced Zex's arrival, Beja greeted the Deltan with a smile, and offered the nog beverage, "œWelcome Zex, would you like some nog? Cat was just telling me all about the human holiday traditions."

Cat blinked several times after Beja had finished her song.

"Well.... You're going to have to teach me the words to that one.  I can tell you this, that versions going to go down VERY well with us adults.. Especially after a few proper drinks in us... Ohh Klingon carol singers!  Now there's an idea..."  Cat grinned and turned to greet Zex

"Welcome to the party Zex!  Sit sit!  And continuing on the drinks theme..."

Cat got up and wandered over to the replica "Catherine Goodspeed personal archive.. 3 non alcoholic Chrimbo snowballs please!"

Cat carried them over one at a time and placed them on the table.

"This ladies is a Snowball.  A classic old fashioned British drink which contains Advocaat which is an old Earth Dutch mix of eggs, sugar and brandy; topped up with a fizzy beverage called Cream Soda with a dash of lime festively decorated with little preserved cherry!"

Cat settled down and took a very long drink from her glass.

"oh yes... That's hit the spot.  Much nicer with real brandy but you might find it goes down easier than egg nog."

"I have some ideas"

Cat loved Christmas.  In fact she liked most celebrations but the festive Holiday season bought out the child in her.

"so... What do you think to this... Promenade...we have a holo light system set up throughout so it looks like it is snowing!!" Cat clapped her hands together like a 8 year old.

"Oh!  And we take over one of the holosuites or maybe two and deck them out like Santa's workshop of old Earth where the kiddies can make Gingerbread houses!??  They are little edible houses... Made from  ginger biscuit type things which have been made into walls and roofs and doors and tiny chimneys and you build a house and fix all the joins together with icing and decorate with sweets like lollipops and sugared gum drops and chocolate discs and sprinkles and things!"

"They can let their imagine go wild and then eat their creations and drive their parents mad due to the sugar rush"

"OH!  We could have them for different age groups... And... then get the Captain to judge them!"

Cat looked at the hat Mon was currently modelling.  She needed to get something for the voles.  She was sure she had a pattern tucked away somewhere.

"Beja... Ever tried mulled blood wine?"

Never turn your back on a species with tusks, teeth or claws sharper than your own wit.

Kirok

Katra Station - Counseling Office

"Hello" Zex said.  Her eyes immediately went to the red hat on Beja's head.  Then to the one on Mon's head.

Yes, the 'holiday season' came with it's share of unusual practices.  Luckily there were no ugly sweaters in sight.  Yet.

"Hello Cat.  Thank you" the Deltan said.  She found a seat.

"I like the idea of a light show to make it look like snow.  The holosuite idea sounds good too" she replied.  Then she looked to Beja to she what she thought of mulled blood wine.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Eydis

The three tholians seemed to either be unaware of their security escort or unconcerned with it. Eydis would scuttle through the hallway then turn and speak over the lattice to skaldyr and Heilung. First Heilung would nod and turn back to the embassy to fetch what they need. Skaldyr would follow a few seconds later, concerned over his commanders new plan.

Leaving Eydis alone outside of the embassy for a brief span before shi heads off alone to the nearest turbo lift. Only one being on the station might have a inkling of the festive nature of commanders Eydis new plan.

Solluk

Katra Station - Station Commander's Ready Room - Before Cat's meeting with Beja

Solluk was surprised not to get more resistance to these refits- but perhaps he shouldn't have been.  Goodspeed's resistance to these sorts of things wasn't born from an irrational kneejerk reaction.  If the proper procedures had been undertaken to test the system, she was not one to raise baseless objections.

The 'Quantum Slipsteam Prototype' did not slip under her radar, however.

"There is always a certain amount of trepidation associated with the word 'prototype,'" Solluk admitted, "But someone has to test these things before they are widely distributed.  Someday, every modern hullform in the fleet may have these systems."  Not the Healy, sadly.  She was too old, and had been built according to understandings of subspace physics that were now woefully incomplete.  There was no path for her that led to a Quantum Slipstream future.

"But for now, the Discovery has been chosen.  No one is going to hold you responsible if the system fails its tests.  All you are expected to do is install it according to Starfleet's guidelines.  And if you find the need to alter the guidelines, notify Starfleet of every change made.  Consistency is vital in these tests.  They have to know the exact setup that succeeded or failed so that they can reproduce results or improve on them."

Solluk took another sip of his tea as Goodspeed asked about gingerbread houses.

"Gingerbread seems like a poor structural material," he opined, "Assuming it is the same stuff as that belonging to a cookie I once ate during a visit to Earth.  I take it this 'house' is some kind of similar confection?"

Rayek trLhoell

Lt Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on December 03, 2020, 10:15:36 AM

Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell with Fvienn (5 weeks old)
[Katra Station - OCC]

When Rayek suggested to try the new dish with her, Tess nodded. "Absolutely." It was strange. Ever since Fvienn was born, Tess felt like trying out new things more while before something like a bat had never been something she felt the desire to try out.

She chuckled as she watched Fvienn eating his fist and making funny noises while he did. At Rayek's suggestion, Tess nodded. "Oh, that might be a good idea. Here, can you take him for a moment?" She handed Fvienn over to Rayek before she produced her PADD and checked the capacity of the IDIC. The establishment, run by a Vulcan, not only celebrated the Vulcan motto of diversity in the variety of dishes they offered. The species of the employees, too, showed a remarkable variety. Tess imagined that it surely didn't always go as smooth behind the scenes as it might look. But the Vulcan owner seemed to be able to handle it well. The establishment was one of the best running on the station, for sure. "It's full up", she confirmed Rayek's non-expressed assumption. Making a few taps on the PADD, Tess pre-ordered their meals.

Rayek accepted Fvienn with a bit of a chuckle when Tess opted to pass the baby over to him, rather than ask him to do the pre-order.  But that was alright by him, he loved to hold their son.  Fvienn, who had been born weighing 4.2 kg, on the top end of normal, had a Vulcanoid's heavy bone density.  And though Fvienn had been rather long and slender when first born, his constant feeding had given the infant a definite chubbiness to his features now.

From his periphery, Rayek noted Ensign Ricci peeking his way over her console, obviously trying to get a look at the baby.  So while Tess was making the pre-order (he trusted her to pick items that would be edible to both their species), Rayek walked over towards the Ops station and to the beaming Rebecca.

"Oh my! He's so adorable!" she gushed leaning nearer to get a better look at the baby.  Fvienn paused sucking on his fist to reach out his hand towards the woman.

"Oh I miss my own being this age." the Ensign commented, then nodded her head in appreciation towards Rayek for being given the opportunity to see the baby close up.   "You know, sir.  If you ever need a sitter at a time I'm not on shift..."

She didn't get to finish the comment as an departing ship drew her attention away from the baby and back to her duties.   Rayek nodded acknowledging the Ensign's offer before he moved back towards Tess as she finished with the pre-order.

He smiled to his wife.   "Another offer to babysit." he pointed out.

Though there had been very little need for a sitter so far - either Tess or himself had been present most of the time - they had asked Phara t'Movel if she would serve as their son's ' on-call nanny'.  They had requested this prior to the baby's birth in anticipation of potential Red Alert situations that would require both he and Tess be on duty.

When they had suggested the idea to Phara, back before the baby was born, they had envisioned the woman retaining her seamstress business and just assisting during emergencies.  Yet unexpectedly, just days after Fvienn's birth, the Romulan woman announced the sale of her seamstress business.

Concerned, Rayek had investigated the reason for this and learned that Lared's salvage business, which he had thought was solvent, actually had been undercut by a Pakled competitor for the past year and was sadly running in the red.   Of course, as refugees, the Romulan family was guaranteed a decent standard of living, but Rayek recognized that that would not be acceptable to Lared.  The Romulan's mnhei'sahe encouraged independence and self-sufficiency - living solely off of Federation without a means of repayment would not sit well with any Romulan, Lared tr'Movel was no exception.

Phara sold her business to pay down their debt and both Tordel and Lared were now prepping to take the Academy entrance exam.   Discovering this, Rayek had suggested to Tess that having Phara assist with the baby full-time would be beneficial to both her and the baby - preventing her from being over-whelmed.   Thankfully, Tess had agreed.

"At this rate, we won't need to spend an evening at home with our son for his first three years." he joked, amused that nearly every female offered to watch their son, 'whenever you two need a few hours to yourselves'.

At present however, he just wanted Eli to call back or arrive so that he could go on lunch-break with his wife and son.

NPC Cathy Daniels
[Freighter Wonderland]

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on December 03, 2020, 10:15:36 AM

NPC Juraan Ren
[Aboard the 'Wonderland' - Trialus system]

His face relaxed and he even smiled weakly. "You heard it", Juraan answered Finn. Then faltered a moment, pondering if he should add something to that. "I've visited Katra Station before. It's pretty decent. There are some good opportunities to spend hard earned money." The pub for him. Then probably Blue Belles.

Little did he know that the USS Discovery and the USS Challenger were on the way to visit that same place - with his former Captain Tekin Nevir, former Executive Officer, now Captain Ian Galloway and former shipmate Torra on board.

Quote from: Finn Moreno on December 03, 2020, 10:38:14 AM

[Wonderland]
Finn hadn't been as perceptive as Cathy. he, too, was surprised what she had picked up about the Bajoran, who did not deny it. Whatever his reasoning may be, Finn didn't care. The man had earned his trust by fighting side by side with him.
"I have to tell you two, that I'm glad you're planning to stay on my crew. I've actually decided to give you each 20 percent of the earnings. I'm keeping 20 as well, the rest is for ship maintenance and expenses."
The deal was more than fair.

He double checked the scanners and everything he could make out before the drop off.
"Let's get rid of our cargo before anyone else can get the idea to steal it. Cathy, make sure the ID, they are transmitting isn't forged."

When the ship slowly approached the larger ship, where they were supposed to offload, he noticed that they weren't the only ones.
Knitting his brow he hesitated for a moment.
"That's odd...why are there other freighters approaching?"
Opening a channel to the larger freighter he said. "This is a message of the Conundrum. This is the Wonderland. We're approaching your freighter to drop off some cargo. Sending my ID code now, requesting yours. Please confirm the drop off."

Cathy glanced over to Juraan and smiled, glad that he hadn't denied her words.

But it was Finn's announcement of a 20% share of the profits that had Cathy really overjoyed.  She did a little seated dance from her pilot's chair.

While she danced, Finn contacted the Conundrum.

Quote from: Solluk on December 03, 2020, 03:23:59 PM

"This is Captain Kemet, of the Conundrum.  Wonderland, we are reading you.  We have established a holding pattern for inbound freighters, as we are transferring quite a bit of cargo.  Your clearance to load will be in 8 hours, just after the Yadyam.  There are six vessels in pattern before you.  Please stand-by until you are called.  If you wish, you may hold at Katra station until your slot opens.  There is nothing illicit about your cargo.  No worries about the authorities.  And the station security is competent enough that you won't need to worry about your load.  Might as well enjoy a bit of station time until we're ready for the transfer."

The suggestion that they spend their time on the station enjoying the many activities it offered added a bit more spark to Cathy's impromptu dance.

"Celebrate good times come on!"

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Solluk

Katra Station - Corridors not far from the Tholian embassy

Suzette frowned as the Tholians began to separate.  What were they after?  The other species on the station all had predictable patterns of behavior, but she had enjoyed very little luck in anticipating the actions of the Tholians.

"This is Ensign Chastain.  Kal, they're separating.  It's your call how you'd like to deploy our people for most effective coverage.  Consider it your first command decision as a member of the Diplomatic Protection team."

Deploying personnel during emerging situations like this was the hardest and most common field decision made by a team leader within the Diplomatic Protection Detail.  The moment a group of diplomatic personnel separated, priorities had to be assigned and the needed coverage per individual had to be re-assessed.  Sometimes there weren't enough personnel in the field to cover all of the targets.  If so, who should be left unprotected?

Ideally, there were no compromises in Diplomatic Protection.  But in actuality, compromises were made all of the time.  Choosing between those compromises was the duty of the officer in charge, and it was no easy task.

Paul Wessex

Trying not to look up with a searching glance, Paul was aware - through the live transcript - of Ensign Jimrec's general location if not his exact spot at this time. Plain clothed duty was one of the tools in the Diplomatic Protection's box of tricks, and it took someone with confidence and tact to operate less of a spy and more of an unassuming duty lead. To be discovered - or worse, noticed - undercover would, while despite adding a useful layer of protection to the delegates under their charge, cause not-inconsiderable reputational damage to the station and the Federation. Having a Diplomatic Protection detail was a widely understood, and reluctantly agreed, necessity for visiting envoys. Found to be being watched by those not displaying themselves openly as a member of that very detail could be - under the wrong circumstances - catastrophic, politically speaking.

Smiling at another greeting from a well-meaning and grateful member of the station populace (and promising he'd come back to collect the gift basket being offered), Paul found a small quiet spot to read the latest from Ensign Chastain. Apparently the Tholian delegation had decided to split off. In some ways, that was troubling all to itself. Resisting the temptation to step in, Wessex waited with interest to see what the decision would be.

Eydis

Eydis would use the turbo lift to head to the deck 19 gymnasium. After three more tholians would exit the embassy Heilung, skaldyr, and a never before seen young weapons officer Ikoma. Ikoma and Heilung both wore rather large rigid backpacks on their suits. Skalydr was noticeable not wearing one. The three would scuttle off in the other direction.

Skaldyr would break off from the group to access a new turbo lift and head to deck 17 arboretum overlook. Leaving Heilung and Ikoma hopefully Minus any attention. The two would actually keep walking down the hallway past bewildered humaniods. Before accessing another turbo lift and head to the Holosuite on deck 13. So far the tholians seemed to have planned this little stunt for some time.

Eydis hirself seemed delighted at the confusion shi had created amongst the federation security assets. Actually giggling or the tholian equivalent to it on the turbo lift ride to the gymnasium. Hir enjoyment at the deviousness of hir actions. Was in fact transmitting over the lattice like a uncontrollable virus infecting hir crew. With a rather new sensation of what only could be described as fun. It was becoming apparent that the transfusion of the crystalline entity and hirself had been more then just physical change to hir crystalline structure. It was expanding hir ability for psychological growth. Increasing hir cognitive ability to expirence more emotions. Emotions and ideas long thought abstract by tholians.

But unconcerned with the metaphysical growth shi was undergoing, shi simply wanted to have fun. The plan was simply distract the security personal assigned to hir. Allow for two of hir crew to gain access to a empty holodeck. They would begin to set up the decorative silks and crystals. And soon it would be time to invite the station to see a new side of hir people. To see tholians as possessing abstract concepts of beauty and celebrating.

Dr. ta li yo-na

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on December 01, 2020, 11:09:47 AM

[Sickbay - USS Katra]

[Posting as Crista Le Prant, Falleg Nanny]

Crista walked into the Sickbay looking sheepish.  She hoped that Dr. t'Lhoell or Dr. Yona were around since she knew them well and could happily talk to them without more embarrassment.  Hopefully, it would be Tess since this was a woman thing she needed to discuss, and she wanted some advice.

Catching the sight of a nurse she smiled. "Is Dr. t'Lhoell around or if not Dr. Yona? I'd prefer to see them as they ah... might know my notes a little better."

[katra station - sickbay]

While sat on the floor in office meditating with a loud purring sapphire beside him dr Ta Li Yo-na was deep in to his session but suddenly aware of his name being mentioned

Sapphire jumped into her bed as the big Klingon lumbering to his feet called through to the main bay area "hello did someone call me" putting his rugged head round the door and seeing the nanny "ah Christa welcome come through" the dr said with a gesture of waving his arm "so how can I help you today would you like a drink"

Finn Moreno

Quote from: Solluk on December 03, 2020, 03:23:59 PM

Slidri glanced towards the incoming transmission, "The Wonderland is hailing us, Captain."

Driva nodded, "Scan them.  Do they have the crystals?"

Slidri checked her console, then nodded, "The full load."

"They didn't skim any?" Driva asked.

Slidri shook her head, "Not a gram, as near as I can tell."

Driva nodded appreciatively, "Not bad.  Be sure to put them on the preferred merchant list before you send our final data packet to HQ.  Holo-filters up.  Put them through."

A moment later, a Cardassian face would appear on the Wonderland's viewscreen:

Everything Driva said was calculated to make this highly unusual situation seem as casual as possible.  It was very important that no special alarm was attached to this transaction beyond its obvious value.  For a time, she had considered refusing ships a stay at Katra due to the danger that someone would talk.  But in the end, she deemed that such a refusal would have almost guaranteed loose lips due to its unusual nature.

[Wonderland]
Finns gaze darkened considerably when he heard that they had to wait 8 hours before they could get rid of that darn cargo, that they almost had been killed for.
He looked at Cathy next to him, the Juraan not liking it one little bit while Cathy suddenly seemed exstatic.
"I don't like this. What if anyone else tries to steal the stuff?"
Then again this was Federation space and they'd be inside a Federation Station with Federation security personell.
"Only if you take responsibility, Captain Kemet. You know how precious our cargo is. We had people attack our ship to steal it." He replied to her and then added.
"So, since you suggested it, we will be spending a few hours at Katra Station and return in a few hours."

He closed the channel and then looked at the others. "So who will stay behind and guard the load?" He joked but then became more serious.
"You know what people are willing to do for this...what do we do? And why are there so many freighters in line. They are all dropping off cargo...which I'm guessing is the same as ours. That's a mother load of it."
He didn't really have to continue for the others to catch on.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.