S2 M1 - Fathers and Daughters II

Started by Solluk, November 19, 2019, 11:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jada

[Bridge, USS Healy]

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on December 29, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

Having Jada return from the Transporter room was unexpected, but Rayek didn't question it at the time.

"Thank you, Senior Chief.  Tactical is yours. Monitor the Klingons closely.  They too have beamed a team aboard the Romulan scoutship."

As tr'Lhoell stepped away, Jada took over Tactical, a station she had long experience with after serving on the Tempest. She quickly got caught up on the situation and life-signs detections on the Romulan scoutship, and reported, 'Three Klingons, I think one of them's M'Kai. They beamed into... an Environmental Systems Maintenance Closet. Practically opposite our team. It looks like they had the same plan as us – lucky they didn't beam in on top of each other.' It was one reason Jada never went for the most obvious or most sensible, or even most optimum, plan; if she'd thought of it, someone else had too. 'Saxon's calling them out now.'

'And one crew member, in the cockpit. I'm not a doctor, but it seems to be alive.' She knew Hrafn would want to know, but if it wasn't her father, or wasn't actually alive, then she didn't want to get her hopes up just to dash them. First Tidu, and now a father she'd never known? That was hard.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Beja

IKS Nom Pach - Bridge - Science Station

Beja kept a close eye on the comms and the console. She wanted to make sure that they kept on top of everything going on. They didn't want to miss something vital, and find themselves in trouble, again. The last thing they wanted or needed to deal with is another trap of sorts. They had just gotten out of one, they didn't need to enter another one.

"HoD," Beja turned to her father, "The Healy has also transported a team onto the Romulan Scout. It looks like they are very close to our people as well."

That was strange, because as far as Beja knew the plan was for the Klingons to get their prey. So why where they now transporting into the Scout? If the Healy wanted to help out the Klingons shouldn't they have reached out first before boarding?

Maybe they would get some of the answers to all the questions, "HoD," Beja again addressed her father, "The Healy is hailing us. Shall I open the communications?"

Eli Ferris

Quote from: Tess Moreno on December 30, 2019, 12:57:12 PM

Cadet Benjin Moreno
[Shuttle 'Corwin']

Benjin had noticed that suddenly the ship had been free of the anomaly and had deactivated the tractor beam. He expected a call from the bridge that would summon him back but it didn't come. And frankly, flying that shuttle was fun.

Benjin knew he should return to the ship asap, but he couldn't resist his curiosity and take a look at the close proximity. He described an arch as he turned away from the Healy and then flew above her so he'd face that what had been the anomaly if it was still there. He noticed the Klingon, Romulan and Bajoran ship were free too. He wondered what had made that thing release them all of a sudden.

Eli breathed a heavy sigh of relief as the ship lurched with sudden freedom. He quickly took control back of the engines, manually adjusting to allow the shuttle to not be pulled about, or, worse yet, yanked back to the entity.

=/\= Mr. Moreno, excellent work. Return to the ship  =/\=

Eli adjusted his station, not allowing them to get too far from the scout or the Klingons. Their position was stabilizing, and made his job far less difficult.

"Sir, we are maintaining current position, Romulan scout off the starboard side."

Eli moved his attention towards the docking shuttle. The last thing they needed was a system failure after escaping their trap. The Chief of Security was already preparing to handle that threat. Eli calculated possible escape routes, and monitored any engine activity.

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Healy - Deck One - Bridge]

Quote from: Mike Corso on December 30, 2019, 09:32:39 AM

Bridge - USS Healy

Mike slowly opened his eyes.

They were not dead. Not only they were not dead but both of the Healy's senior officers were congratulating him on a job well done for saving everyone's lives. Ensign Corso recognized a stroke of luck when he saw one. Escaping the anomaly had been a team effort, he was just in the right place at the right time. Working together a Starfleet crew could accomplish anything.

"Thank Lieutenant Beja, sir. Using our running lights to communicate was the Nom Pach's idea."

He nodded at Commander tr'Lhoell and dutifully opened a channel to the Romulan scoutship.

"Aye, sir," he acknowledged Solluk's orders once Rayek was finished, "Giving the Healy a breath of fresh air."

Corso coordinated with the engineering crews from his station at ops to ensure Doctor Moreno's inhibitor drug was safely dispersed and fresh atmosphere was cycled throughout each deck of the ship. The ensign glanced up from his work at another word from Captain Solluk. He paused to reactivate communications.

"Channel open with the Nom Pach, captain."

Quote from: Jada on December 30, 2019, 09:30:32 PM

[Bridge, USS Healy]

As tr'Lhoell stepped away, Jada took over Tactical, a station she had long experience with after serving on the Tempest. She quickly got caught up on the situation and life-signs detections on the Romulan scoutship, and reported, 'Three Klingons, I think one of them's M'Kai. They beamed into... an Environmental Systems Maintenance Closet. Practically opposite our team. It looks like they had the same plan as us – lucky they didn't beam in on top of each other.' It was one reason Jada never went for the most obvious or most sensible, or even most optimum, plan; if she'd thought of it, someone else had too. 'Saxon's calling them out now.'

'And one crew member, in the cockpit. I'm not a doctor, but it seems to be alive.' She knew Hrafn would want to know, but if it wasn't her father, or wasn't actually alive, then she didn't want to get her hopes up just to dash them. First Tidu, and now a father she'd never known? That was hard.

Rayek from his position at the Captain's side, was curious how this conversation would go. Jada's report only highlighted that the two teams were on very much the same wavelength.
Quote from: Eli Ferris on December 30, 2019, 10:57:52 PM

Eli breathed a heavy sigh of relief as the ship lurched with sudden freedom. He quickly took control back of the engines, manually adjusting to allow the shuttle to not be pulled about, or, worse yet, yanked back to the entity.

Eli adjusted his station, not allowing them to get too far from the scout or the Klingons. Their position was stabilizing, and made his job far less difficult.

"Sir, we are maintaining current position, Romulan scout off the starboard side."

Eli moved his attention towards the docking shuttle. The last thing they needed was a system failure after escaping their trap. The Chief of Security was already preparing to handle that threat. Eli calculated possible escape routes, and monitored any engine activity.

He heard the Chief Flight Officer calling Cadet Moreno back in.  Rayek felt it was slightly disappointing to not know if the tow option would have worked.  Perhaps once the science of this subspace fold was more fully understood, Rayek might run a holodeck simulation to determine the result.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NPC Ensign Jayce Fuller
[USS Healy - Deck 6 - Sickbay]

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on December 30, 2019, 02:14:47 PM

[USS Healy - Sickbay]

Tears still falling freely Hrafn nodded allowing Jayce to administer the sertraline.   "Perhaps a sedative to send me to sleep too?" she asked in a weak voice. "I just want this to be over, like it never happened over!"

Jayce was concerned at the CSO's request for a sedative.  Medically, the sedative wouldn't do harm but it also wasn't physically needed and Fuller wasn't certain of the psychological benefits of avoiding the trauma of such loss through sleep.  It was very much an avoidance technique.
Quote from: Tess Moreno on December 30, 2019, 12:57:12 PM

Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno
[USS Healy - Bridge]

The reply from Engineering had Tess faltering if she had heard right. It took her a couple of seconds to consider her reaction but thankfully the Captain intervened and asked Ensign Corso to take over her request. Tess glanced to Solluk, a silent thanks of his support conveying in her eyes.

When Mike complied she nodded at him. "Thank you, Ensign."

=/\= "Engineering. Belay my request. The task was delegated to Operations to not further strain your departement's capacity. Moreno out." =/\=

She then glanced over to Rayek so she wouldn't miss his reaction to her question. Which he seemed to notice in his periphery for he almost immediately turned to look at her. The small gesture of a smile just for her brought a warmth to her heart. Seeing him shaking his head she nodded in silent acknowledgement and then turned to Solluk as he asked for an update on Hrafn's condition as soon as possible. "I'll keep you informed, Sir", she confirmed, then turned to grab the the medkit and after checking its contents for completion she headed to the turbolift and left the bridge.

The moment Tess stepped into the sickbay, she approached the nearest crewmember. "Report?"

"We've been removing all inhibitors, Ma'am", the nurse reported. "So far there are no new incidents."

Tess nodded as she looked around and spotted the privacy screen that had been pulled up to one of the biobeds. "That is all, return to your duties, Ensign."
Approaching the privacy screen Tess walked around it and found Hrafn together with Jayce and Roberto. She looked at the CSO - and noticed she still wore the inhibitor. She looked to Jayce and Roberto. "I'll handle this here." The cue for them to leave.

Tess waited until she was alone with Hrafn and then moved closer, observing her unobtrusively if she still noticed the glazed over eyes or the difficulty to speak. "How do you feel? Will you let me take the inhibitor off?", she asked quietly.

Thankfully Dr. Moreno arrived then to take over.  Jayce leaned close and whispered to the CMO about Hrafn's request for a sedative strong enough to send her to sleep, then exited the private area.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Solluk

IKS Nom Pach - Bridge

So... the Healy had sent people over, as well.  Were they there to help... or as competition?  Noh'ves had not expected the Starfleet ship to send a boarding team of their own.  When Beja declared that the Healy was hailing them, he glanced in her direction.

"On-Screen."

A moment later, the figure of the Vulcan Captain appeared in the place of the starscape.

"Captain Noh'ves," the Vulcan said, "allow me to begin by extending my appreciation to your people.  We were only able to escape the anomaly by duplicating your technique."

Noh'ves barely suppressed a scowl.  The opening compliment seemed like a feint before a strike during a duel.  He knew very well that a Starfleet vessel was likely to have had its own plans for making their escape.  If they truly had duplicated the Nom Pach's actions, he felt it was likely to have been only one option of many at their disposal.  No, this compliment was something else.  A softening for a blow.

"You have your own Counselor to thank for that," Noh'ves said, "it was she who discovered the means to communicate with that..." he paused, looking for the right word.  Finally, he settled on, "With that."

The Vulcan smiled slightly.  An odd expression on the face of a Vulcan.  Noh'ves wondered if that was an artifact of diplomatic training.  "Then let us say we benefitted each other.  Captain, I note that we have both sent boarding teams to the Romulan scout ship."

At least he didn't keep me all day waiting for it, Noh'ves thought.  "Yes, we observed this as well.  You may recall your forces.  I am confident of my team's ability to take the ship and capture its crew."

The Vulcan hesitated.  Just briefly.  "Captain Noh'ves, I find myself in the position of needing to ask you for a favor."

What on Q'onos was this Vulcan trying to hide?  "We are allies, Captain Solluk.  What can the Nom Pach do for you, today?"  Now he smiled, too.  But this was a tactical smile.  All teeth.  No kindness.

The Vulcan hesitated again.  Again, only briefly.  It felt like a duelist positioning for a thrust.

"I would like to take the occupants of the Scout into my custody.  It is... a matter of honor."

Noh'ves' smile melted into a scowl.  "Captain Solluk.  I hope you do not think that the Klingon people are a machine into which you need only to feed the correct words to get the desired output.  'Honor' is something serious to us.  It is not a password to get what you want, and it is not a word we suffer to be used lightly."

The Vulcan's own smile- slight as it was- melted away.  The face was a mask, now.  The expected expressionless mask.  Except... there was something behind the eyes.  Concern?

"Captain... I do not use the word lightly.  Nor as a mere tool to get what I desire.  During the incident in the anomaly, my Chief Science officer reached out with her telepathic abilities.  She hoped to contact the entity that held us.  To open some means of communication.  The contact she made was not what she expected.  Captain... we have learned that the occupant of that vessel- and most likely the terrorist who attacked your people- is my Science Officer's father."

Now it was Noh'ves' turn to pause.  He found himself surprised.  Not only at the fact itself, but that Solluk would reveal such a fact to him.  What was the father of a member of the Healy's officer core doing on the Romulan Scout?  What were they doing attacking Klingon facilities?  Stealing Klingon property?  And... apparently also attacking Federation outposts?

This news was as unexpected as it was confusing.

"You may well imagine that this revelation places us in a delicate position," Solluk continued, "not only does this touch on deeply personal family issues for a member of my senior staff, but it raises the question of whether... whether the terrorism and theft conducted upon your people and my station has its source within Federation space.  And perhaps even Starfleet, itself."

Noh'ves leaned forward, a discerning gaze upon the Vulcan's face.  "A delicate situation indeed.  But surely you do not think I am going to allow you to seize this person and cover up any Federation involvement.  We have a right to investigate this matter."

Solluk shook his head, "I do not wish to prevent such an investigation.  We have both endured crimes, and there are jurisdictional matters to settle.  We potentially have competing interests, here.  We already have competing boarding teams.  What I propose is this:  Allow us to take the Scout under tow, and to take the criminals into custody.  However, we will invite your Chief of Security to join us on the Healy and keep watch over the prisoner.  To stand by during any interrogations.  Our governments can decide, using diplomatic channels, into whose custody the prisoners shall eventually fall.  In the meantime, you can have access to him.  We merely wish to have possession of him."

Noh'ves scoffed, "The humans of your Federation have a saying:  Possession is nine-tenths of the law.  If you take initial custody of this prisoner, it only strengthens the position of your negotiators for keeping him.  I do not consider Federation 'punishment' for crimes to be anything worthy of the name.  This person has committed serious crimes against my government.  Whoever's father he is.  I am responsible to my government, not your Science Officer, and not your honor.  I am particularly concerned for any potential involvement of Federation citizenry in these crimes.  And while I hesitate to believe it... there is the possibility of a Starfleet involvement, as well."

Solluk nodded, "I understand your position.  If you tell your superiors that you simply agreed to let us take initial custody of this ship and this prisoner, you would be reprimanded.  Perhaps rightly so.  And it would violate your duty in any event.  It was unwise of me to ask.  I realize you are not free to make me a favor in this instance."

The Vulcan hesitated, glancing away from the screen, and then back again.  It seemed to Noh'ves that the man had glanced in the direction of his first-officer.  Seeking guidance?  Giving a clandestine order?

"Captain, we seem to be at an impasse.  And while there may be an even match between us aboard the Scout, there is not anything approaching an even match outside of it."

Noh'ves' smile returned.  It was the smile of an incredulous man.  "You are not threatening to battle me over this prisoner, Solluk.  I know the Federation too well.  You value peace above all things.  You would not threaten the current alliance between our peoples in order to secure a prisoner.  Not for the honor of your senior staff.  Not even for the honor of the Federation."

The Vulcan stared at the screen for a long time, saying nothing.  For a moment, Noh'ves began to believe that the Starfleet Captain might actually be willing to do battle over this matter.  To shatter an alliance.  To start a war.

Then the tension broke, but not because of anything the Vulcan Captain did.

On the science console, it could be seen that transporter inhibitors suddenly activated aboard the Romulan ship.  The Klingon boarding team opened a communications channel, perhaps intending to report on some event.  But rather than speech, the com channel was filled with the sound of phaser and disruptor fire.

Romulan Scout - Central hallway between the Environmental Maintenance Closet and the Facilities Management Locker

The three Klingons came out of the cramped confines of their hiding space, looking somewhat comedic as they did so.  It gave the visual impression of clowns offloading from a small car.  Except these were not painted entertainers.  Whatever humor was present in their awkward disembarkation, it was tempered by the obvious formidable nature of these warriors.  As they climbed out of the cramped space in which they had crouched, they pulled breathing masks off of their faces and cast them aside.

M'Kai smirked at Saxon, "Enough, Saxon.  I should have known better than to use H'Rel's story as inspiration when it was possible you might become involved.  As it turns out, this ship seems abandoned, but for a single life-form in the cockpit... and but for you and your team."

She glanced to Brokka, nodding to a tricorder he held.  "The man we seek slumbers already, according to our scans.  Adjusting the atmosphere seems moot.  Whatever misadventure he endured in that place, it was worse than ours."

Her smile became all teeth, "Now the only thing between us and our quarry... is you, Lieutenant."

Her hand hovered very close to the disruptor pistol at her waist.  Her eyes were steady upon Saxon's own.

"Our orders are to take him alive," she said, "I suggest you let us."

Suddenly, the tricorder Brokka held changed its tone.  The three Klingons started to shift their gaze, looking to see what situation was emerging upon them.  At that moment, a figure appeared in the hall.  Phaser fire swept across the space.  M'Kai unholstered her pistol with a speed that belied belief as she dodged towards the bulkhead, laying down suppressive fire in the form of disruptor bolts from her pistol.  She had not even fully grasped what was happening, but was reacting from pure instinct.

In the hallway was a figure both familiar and alien.  Saxon had seen his fair share, though none of them configured quite like this one.

Brokka dropped his tricorder and crouched, activating his communicator to report what was going on.  But the figure in the hall was both swift and accurate.  Phaser beams cut down Brokka and his fellow warrior.  Thankfully, the beams were only set to stun.

M'Kai was the only member of the Klingon contingent still ambulatory.

But the figure in the hall was not targeting Klingons alone...

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Kalem Michael

[Bridge - USS Healy]

Kalem was still at the back of the bridge, with them having been thrown clear of the anomaly Kalem abandoned his research into the communication problem. however he mirrored the operations controls onto his station and watched how the younger operations officer worked. Kalem was not only still trying to learn some things but also making sure that the younger could handle the pressure that was being put on him. So far Ensign Corso had been doing very well with this, Kalem didn't have a problem with anything that Corso had done. He would have to make sure to compliment the younger officer later.

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on December 31, 2019, 12:43:46 AM

NPC Ensign Jayce Fuller

Jayce was concerned at the CSO's request for a sedative.  Medically, the sedative wouldn't do harm but it also wasn't physically needed and Fuller wasn't certain of the psychological benefits of avoiding the trauma of such loss through sleep.  It was very much an avoidance technique.

Thankfully Dr. Moreno arrived then to take over.  Jayce leaned close and whispered to the CMO about Hrafn's request for a sedative strong enough to send her to sleep, then exited the private area.

"Thank you, Jayce", Tess said quietly to her before she left and then turned back to Hrafn.
Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on December 30, 2019, 02:14:47 PM

[USS Healy - Sickbay]

"He's dead Tess. I almost had him back and now.. he, he...." she started crying again.  "Take it off, if he's alive he'll get through to me, if he is dead then I can't feel more miserable."

When she started crying again Tess moved to her side to wrap and arm around her shoulder and held her to her. "I'm so sorry, Hrafn." Her hand soothingly rubbed up and down her upper arm. "We will do everything we can to help your dad", Tess assured. She'd rather go with hope than taking it as a fact that he was dead. Then she gently drew her hand back to be able to detach the inhibitor from Hrafn's temple.

During that time Tess had made her decision to give her a sedative. She turned away briefly to fetch what she needed then returned to her. "This is a very mild sedative. It will help you to calm down and if it helps you drift into sleep then it won't harm either." Getting some rest or even sleep was probably the best to do in that situation. Stepping up to her Tess administered the drug to the CSO.

After that she briefly turned away to type a message to Solluk. She also tagged Rayek, knowing he would like to be informed about Hrafn's condition as well.

To: Cpt. Solluk, Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Lt. Falleg is resting now, I gave her a mild sedative to help her calm down. She's still emotionally strained, of course.

Is there any news about her father? And can the medical team assist to help him?

- Dr. T. Moreno

Having sent the message Tess returned to Hrafn's side, resting her hand on hers to squeeze it supportively. "You know", she began quietly. "If he became unconscious like the Captain said, it might be the reason the connection to him broke off." She looked to Hrafn. If talking would help her Tess would be there. If not talking about it was better at the moment, Tess would understand that too.

Cadet Benjin Moreno
[Shutte 'Corwin' >>> USS Healy - Bridge]

Quote from: Eli Ferris on December 30, 2019, 10:57:52 PM

=/\= "Acknowledged, Sir." =/\=

Benjin steered the shuttle back to the ship. Once it was savely back in the Healy's shuttle bay, Benjin made his way up to return to the bridge.

As he entered, he noticed his sister was gone. And so was Lt. Falleg. Benjin headed over to Eli to resume the seat next to the Department Head.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

John Saxon

[Romulan Scout - Central hallway between the Environmental Maintenance Closet and the Facilities Management Locker]

Quote from: Solluk

M'Kai smirked at Saxon, "Enough, Saxon.  I should have known better than to use H'Rel's story as inspiration when it was possible you might become involved.  As it turns out, this ship seems abandoned, but for a single life-form in the cockpit... and but for you and your team."

She glanced to Brokka, nodding to a tricorder he held.  "The man we seek slumbers already, according to our scans.  Adjusting the atmosphere seems moot.  Whatever misadventure he endured in that place, it was worse than ours."

Her smile became all teeth, "Now the only thing between us and our quarry... is you, Lieutenant."

Her hand hovered very close to the disruptor pistol at her waist.  Her eyes were steady upon Saxon's own.

"Our orders are to take him alive," she said, "I suggest you let us."

As the tall and powerful frame of M'Kai emerged from the small area in response to his goading, he matched her bemused expression with his. He supposed he should have expected the Nom Pach's formidable Security Chief to lead the mission, as he had done, but he would have not have guessed this thoroughly modern Klingon aping his own old-school strategies over a more direct assault; clearly his fame (or was that notoriety?) among the Nom Pach - aided and abetted through tales regaled by H'Rel - had some disadvantages other than a sore head after a long night of reminiscing.

I'll have to watch that, he mused.

Just as he watched her compatriots also clamber into the open. Sopek did the same from his side, although remaining at a distance that was calculated precisely as not to be deemed confrontational.

His turn to reply to M'kai didn't come as the atmosphere between them began to frost over slightly. Clearly the Klingon team felt this was their snare; that the trophy should be theirs alone to claim. As her strong fingers brushed her still-holstered disruptor, the nonagenarian narrowed his eyes as his gaze shifted to the gesture and back; a bushy eyebrow raised slightly in askance as he took in the somewhat hammy, and ham-fisted, threat. M'kai clearly wasn't some novice eager to show off their quick-draw skills and so her tacit display was more likely one born of a small amount of nerves. Not that she'd admit it, of course, but if she had been listening to H'Rel's stories, or even understanding some of the lessons within them, she'd also know that his age had little to do with his victories down the decades; it only required shifts in strategy. And right now, he had at least two with which to respond to any possible physical altercation.

Drawing breath with which to politely decline the kind offer to stand aside, Saxon noticed Sopek head turning towards something, at almost the same time as one the Klingon handhelds signalled a tone that caused them all to look at it in momentary surprise.

Phaser fire did the rest.

The Klingon Security Chief ripped her disruptor from its holster and fired in one swift motion at a speed that, had Saxon been inclined to comment publically, reminded him of those old classic serials from the 21st Century - Firefly, or something - before rolling to what scant cover was available. For his part, the phaser rifle swung from his shoulder and into a forward-facing brace as the assailant was identified.

Was...that an EMH? One of those old models. The Mk.1, or the Mk. 1R (the repackaged one to match the self-adjusted visual age of the infamous medical hologram from USS Voyager)? Its shiny dome was one of the giveaways, but hadn't been in in general use since-

Further orange beams lanced out and caught the other two Klingons in short order, the lack of thermal aura indicating merely a stun setting, before Saxon called out. "Computer: deactivate EMH!"

Nothing. "Computer: deactivate all holographic systems!". The holofigure continued to advance. Perhaps it was an automated security protocol; it had certainly sought to deal with the non-Starfleet interlopers in short order.

Sopek approached, identifying themselves. "We are Starfleet: from the USS Healy, here to-"

The whine of the clearly-not-holographic weapon brought Sopek down without a word, and Saxon's weapon fired in angry response. The resulting beam caused the confinement shell to momentarily shimmer, but it did nothing to disrupt either the matrix, or even physical integrity as its phaser remained frustratingly in-hand. Bolts of green disruptor fire followed suit, and over the sound 'Century' was glad of two things: one, that those bolts weren't aimed his way, and two that he couldn't hear what phrase M'Kai had chosen to direct at him instead.

"Mister Becker!" yelled Saxon, as the thumbed the phaser rifle's power level up, and took aim at the weapon in its hand. An easy shot in his youth, but a little more challenging these days. As the hologram raised its weapon, Saxon had a steady target to aim for.

His orange beam caused a small explosion in what would have been its hand. "New plan! Terminate any holographi-". He raised his weapon again and aimed for what looked to be jury-rigged Starfleet holo-emitter in the Romulan scout's ceiling. One for each section, perhaps?

The sentence failed to reach its conclusion as, from nowhere, the DBT (Damn Bloody Thing, as Saxon now decided to call it) shimmered out of sight and then reappeared immediately before him, knocking the phaser rifle's emitter node clean off with an almost derisory swipe from the back of its hand.

Purely on instinct, John shoved the sparking remnant into its containment field, the power-pack still feeding energy to the internal mechanisms. Kept there long enough, the build-up of plasmic discharge would, kept contained within the motive force-field, smother the internal holomatrix and cause it to fail.

To his dubious satisfaction, the DBT had concluded the same as its face creased more than it already was into an expression of pure frustration and instead grabbed the old officer by the throat, and begin to lift.

Dr Moreno is going to kill me, he thought as his free hand pulled, without luck, at the unyielding grip.

Hrafn Falleg

Quote from: Tess Moreno on December 31, 2019, 03:46:45 AM

Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

"Thank you, Jayce", Tess said quietly to her before she left and then turned back to Hrafn.

When she started crying again Tess moved to her side to wrap and arm around her shoulder and held her to her. "I'm so sorry, Hrafn." Her hand soothingly rubbed up and down her upper arm. "We will do everything we can to help your dad", Tess assured. She'd rather go with hope than taking it as a fact that he was dead. Then she gently drew her hand back to be able to detach the inhibitor from Hrafn's temple.

During that time Tess had made her decision to give her a sedative. She turned away briefly to fetch what she needed then returned to her. "This is a very mild sedative. It will help you to calm down and if it helps you drift into sleep then it won't harm either." Getting some rest or even sleep was probably the best to do in that situation. Stepping up to her Tess administered the drug to the CSO.

After that she briefly turned away to type a message to Solluk. She also tagged Rayek, knowing he would like to be informed about Hrafn's condition as well.

To: Cpt. Solluk, Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Lt. Falleg is resting now, I gave her a mild sedative to help her calm down. She's still emotionally strained, of course.

Is there any news about her father? And can the medical team assist to help him?

- Dr. T. Moreno

Having sent the message Tess returned to Hrafn's side, resting her hand on hers to squeeze it supportively. "You know", she began quietly. "If he became unconscious like the Captain said, it might be the reason the connection to him broke off." She looked to Hrafn. If talking would help her Tess would be there. If not talking about it was better at the moment, Tess would understand that too.

[USS Healy - Sickbay]

"I-I know everyone is different..." Hrafn began shakily.  "B-But, if he's just passed out wouldn't I still be able to feel him?  I could feel Tidu an-and everyone thought he was dead but me.  I now feel that Dad is dead and I can't feel.. .actually I can but I don't know if it's what I want to feel, you know, like wishful thinking..."

The CSO smiled when Tess mentioned sleep.  "If that happens, sleep I mean, perhaps I might wake up and this all be a horrible bad dream.  Now that is wishful thinking!" she half chuckled.  "But to explain what I meant.  Have you ever been in a battle and ended up with consoles sparking... the power is still going through them but they aren't working because wires are severed, yet the power is still trying to arc...  well I've got a sort of feeling like that... like there's something there, trying to fizz, trying to arc but not enough power, the connection cut... but I don't know if that's just a matter of hope that is totally stupid.  I don't know."

Relaxing slightly she didn't know what to think, other than to try to calm down.

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Solluk

Romulan Scout - Central Corridor

Not a real man, this.

An apparition.

A ghost of light, shadow, and projections of force.

Saxon had realized it at once, told his subordinate, and then engaged the specter gloriously.  The old man did not stop.  When his rifle was broken, he jammed the remaining emitter segments into the photonic defender, unloading kilojoules of energy to warp and contort its invisible frame.

And yet, that frame still had enough strength to lift the aged human up off of the ground, squeezing him to death.

For a moment, M'Kai was tempted to let the projection finish its work.  She was here to do a job, and with Saxon gone, that job would be accomplished more easily.

But, no.  She did not hate Saxon as she might hate a true enemy.  And even if he had been a true enemy, someone of his caliber deserved a better fate than this.

This was not how the story of a Century should come to an end.

She shifted the aim of her pistol and fired on the makeshift holoprojector that had been installed in the ceiling of the corridor.   The projector exploded in a shower of sparks, and the bald-headed holographic defender fritzed out of existence, leaving Saxon to fall to the deck.

But no sooner had this come to pass, than a holoprojector further up the corridor engaged.  A new balding human- exactly like the old- materialized.  This time, it engaged with M'Kai.  She reeled back in double-time, a Mekleth appearing in her left hand as though it had been materialized there with a transporter.

A fool's effort, borne of reflex and muscle-memory more than any strategy.  Even as she blazed away with her disruptor pistol, and sliced with her Mekleth, she knew it would come to naught against this adversary.  It kicked out at her shin, and she did not step aside fast enough.  Though she was swift, this thing was more than swift.  It moved at the speed of ones and zeroes.

The bone of her leg cracked audibly, and she could not quite stifle a yelp of pain as she tumbled down.  Saxon's subordinate stepped up with a tricorder out, perhaps attempting some Starfleet technological trick.  But the hologram swatted a backhand at him, dislocating his jaw and sending him twirling to the deck.

IKS Nom Pach - Bridge

Noh'Ves glared at Solluk from his command chair, nearly leaping up as though to assail the Vulcan's image on the screen.  "You attack us?!"  This situation had always held the potential to come to blows, but Noh'ves had been sure they were not there yet.  For the Vulcan to instigate battle was-

"No, Captain Noh'ves.  I do not believe this is our doing... The Vulcan looked off screen, perhaps demanding answers from his science or tactical staff with the strength of his gaze alone.

Noh'ves did not know what to believe.  He muted the line by pressing a button on his chair, and then looked to Beja, Grom, and Tolec.  The two ship's Captains were mirrors of each other.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Healy - Deck One - Bridge]

With the focus of the camera on the Captain's face rather than the entire Bridge, Rayek was able to observe the conversation without having to worry about his own expressions giving away anything to the Klingons, whom they now found themselves in competition with.   That did seem the best description for the situation.

He watched Noh'ves' face on the main screen noting how the Klingon seemed to make an effort to appear friendly in response to Solluk's opening statement.  The HoD obviously wasn't happy about their presence on the Romulan ship and in typical Vulcan fashion rather skirt the topic Solluk brought it to the forefront.

Rayek however was surprised when Solluk ended his next words with a request for a favor from the Klingons.  The Romulan turned to glance to the Captain beside him.  A favor.  Rayek didn't like the notion of having to 'owe' the Klingons.  He turned back to the main screen and saw the HoD smile a toothily.  Much like a shark.

Rayek's paranoia flared and boiled over when the shark smile turned to scowl at Solluk's blunt request..  He quickly typed out a message to Engineering seeking an update on the warp core and shield repairs.  If things turned sour with the Klingons over the possession of the Romulan scout crew, then Rayek needed to ensure his side had the upper hand.  He routed all Bridge calls to his ear implant - so replies would not be overheard by the Klingons.

To: Engineering
Requesting warp core and shield repair update.
Assume silent Yellow Alert until contacted otherwise.
End.

Then sent a message to Lt Kalem.

To: Lt jg Kalem Michael

Assist Engineering with ensuring we have ample power to the shields. End.

To turned to look Jada and with hand gestures inquired as to the status of the ship's weapons.  They should be fine.  They hadn't needed to use them at all in the anomaly and he hoped they would not be needed now.

He turned back to the Captain when Solluk gave away the fact that Hrafn's father was aboard the ship... and from Jada's earlier readout... the ONLY occupant.  Hmph.. all this for one man.

They should have just beamed the man from the ship to their brig.  That was still a possibility. However doing so would definitely tip this impasse into a battle, Rayek was aware of that, and that fact was the only things giving him pause.  But the option had to be available to the Captain.

While conversation between Noh'ves and Solluk continued, Rayek moved from his seat to approach the Ops console and whispered quietly in the Ensign's ear.  "I want transporter locks on our Away Team members, Lt Beja and that Human hybrid Jada mentioned.

He then moved to the center to speak to Eli also in a whisper.  "Prepare for evasive and lay in a course back to Katra maximum warp."

Having the orders ready in advance could mean the difference between successful escape with Hrafn's father if that was the route the Captain chose, or not.

Moving to Jada next at Tactical Rayek quietly whispered "Be ready to target the Klingon's engines."

He noted that Science had been left vacant after Hrafn's breakdown and tapped his comm to quietly call for a replacement officer to come to the Bridge.  Since it could take a minute or to he mirrored the console to his chair in the meanwhile.

Rayek returned to the XO's seat and gave the Captain a confident nod mouthing 'We are ready for any orders, Captain.'  when the Captain turned to look at him, no doubt questioning silently his First Officers actions around the Bridge.

Rayek waited in anticipation, half out of his seat.  Watching the Klingon Captain's reaction to Solluk's statement of superiority.  For a long moment after the Klingon scoffed, Solluk was intensely silent.

A flash on Rayek's mirrored console, gave him a half second warning.  "CAPTAIN!" he called out.  The sound of phaser fire erupted from the open comm line at the same time.  "The Romulan scoutship has blocked transporter signals to and from it, sir."

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Jada

[Bridge, USS Healy]

Seeing the main Science unattended after Falleg departure, s'Metra hurried over from the auxiliary station and took over. Science was somewhat redundant at the moment, thankfully; the subspace fold was now too far away to be an obstacle.

At Rayek's whispered instruction, Jada tensed, not liking the ugly betrayal of their allies and friends, a lover. Yet she inputted a phaser firing solution designed to disrupt, even shut down, the bird of prey's engines. Goddess, she hoped not to have to use it.

The confrontation went on and on, and finally erupted into chaos. Swiftly, Jada tried to get a read on the situation on the scout-ship; from ship scans and data from the away team, it was possible to build up a picture, to ascertain events. 'Phaser, disruptor fire confirmed... And another hostile – some kind of holographic defender activated. It's attacking both away teams!' Jada bit back her fear and anger, suppresed her urge to act. If she'd been on the away team, if she'd been able to lead it, maybe this wouldn't have happened, maybe she could be there to stop— No, she couldn't keep thinking that away, it was done. No regrets. She could only react to the present, plan for the future.

And there, she could see the solution. 'Captain, Commander, can we talk?' she said quietly, twisting in her seat at Tactical to catch their eyes, to beckon them over.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Beja

IKS Nom Pach - Bridge - Science Station

This entire mission had not gone as expected, it was one surprise after another. Beja had been sure that Captain Solluk was going to be talking tactics with the Klingons in taking out the Romulan Scout. Yet it appeared that Captain Solluk and the Federation might be the actual foe of the Klingons?? And Lieutenant Hrafn's father was also involved? Why would Starfleet want to spy on the Klingons and take their technology? The Klingons and the Federation were allies, why not just ask for technology exchange and information? None of it made any sense.

The tensions kept creeping up as the exchange between Captain Solluk and her father became strained and terse from both sides. The entire situation could end up out of all of their control. The last thing that Beja was sure that any of them wanted was an actual all out war between Starfleet and the Klingons. Her heart ached at such a terrible thought. Never had she thought that her loyalties to Starfleet and those to her family would clash.

Before anything could be resolved, a new twist came into the macabre play going on between the discussions of the Healy and the Nom Pach. Both away teams were under attack.She quickly reviewed the scans from the Nom Pach's sensors that were coming regarding activity near the transport team. At first she had thought they two away teams were battling each other, thankfully that wasn't the case. It was some kind of holographic alarm system on the Romulan Scout. When the communication between the two ships were silenced, Beja turned to her father.

"HoD, I do not know anything about Starfleet's involvement with what took place at the Klingon factory, but I do know that Captain Solluk is an honorable man. I do not believe that we should be hasty with any decision to sever friendship or alliance with the Federation until we know more. I would recommend that instead of housing the spy on the Healy, that we offer to house him here, and allow them to question him as they need. We need more information from the spy on what took place and why, perhaps there are issues within Starfleet's own intelligence agencies," Beja recommended to her father. She didn't want to see any hasty decisions made that would have far reaching implications for them all.

"We should work with their away team, to overcome the obstacle on the Romulan ship. Per our reading there is an inhibitor enacted on the Romunlan Scout and no transport can be in or out of the vessel currently. Why not see if Captain Solluk is open to the idea of the terrorist being housed on the Nom Pach," Beja requested, she believed it was the best compromise for all of them. Surely, even though the Healy could easily over take the Klingon vessel, they wouldn't take such an action lightly, not unless a war is what they were after. And Beja was pretty sure that was not at all what Captain Solluk or the rest of the Healy crew wanted at all.

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Cmdr. Tess Moreno

Quote from: Hrafn Falleg on December 31, 2019, 01:35:31 PM

[USS Healy - Sickbay]

"I-I know everyone is different..." Hrafn began shakily.  "B-But, if he's just passed out wouldn't I still be able to feel him?  I could feel Tidu an-and everyone thought he was dead but me.  I now feel that Dad is dead and I can't feel.. .actually I can but I don't know if it's what I want to feel, you know, like wishful thinking..."

The CSO smiled when Tess mentioned sleep.  "If that happens, sleep I mean, perhaps I might wake up and this all be a horrible bad dream.  Now that is wishful thinking!" she half chuckled.  "But to explain what I meant.  Have you ever been in a battle and ended up with consoles sparking... the power is still going through them but they aren't working because wires are severed, yet the power is still trying to arc...  well I've got a sort of feeling like that... like there's something there, trying to fizz, trying to arc but not enough power, the connection cut... but I don't know if that's just a matter of hope that is totally stupid.  I don't know."

Relaxing slightly she didn't know what to think, other than to try to calm down.

"It's not stupid", Tess replied, sitting next to Hrafn's bed. "It's never stupid to not give up hope if there is reason to. Of course I can't know for sure what you feel but I think I know what you mean." She gave her a sympathetic smile. She noted with relief that the sympthoms she had shown on the bridge were not as noticable now.

"Can I get you something? Some water maybe?"

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

John Saxon

[Romulan Scout - Central Corridor]

Seeing both Becker and M'Kai taken down with such brutal efficiency forced Saxon back to his feet, some inner core of his being finding that bright hot light that he had often kept buried deep within; a reactor of rage, a quantum torpedo of purpose. Despite even this, a small voice struggled to keep the darkness from taking full command of his faculties. Well, this isn't going to plan, it said. John was inclined to agree with it, although he found the intrusion of such flippancy utterly inappropriate; maybe he'd need to have a word with himself when this was all over.

Because over it would be. Soon.

His struggle to stand caught the attention of the 'DBT', despite it not actually requiring its eyes to see the room around it. In perhaps a pace that suggested it felt the conservation of energy was more efficient for what would be an easy coup de grâce, the DBT merely walked over to his location, with a face now devoid of malice but of just professional detachment. Quite fitting for a-

A solution fell into a place. A strategy for victory.

He ran, scooping up Sopek's discarded phaser rifle, and fired at the latest holoemitter.

The DBT had marched after him, with purpose, before shimmering out of existence. But presumably not for long.

The scout craft was small, perhaps twice that of a Yellowstone-class runabout, and about as wide wing-to-wing; seeking opportunities for a successful close-quarter combat engagement was futile, even at his peak. The holographic anti-intrusion figure had all the speed and physical strength circumstances desired, drawing on whatever power necessary to completely out-'muscle' any opposition; its vision tied into internal sensors; its combat algorithms bottlenecked only by the processors feeding its matrices. Saxon had always considered holographic supplementation as the way forward, especially in the internal security field. Indeed, there had been some drive to create a 'Persistent Security Hologram', a long-term addition to a ship's defence complement, based on his own physical parameters (while he wasn't "too old") from the Top Brass, before the whole project fell through (and what a story that had been...). Yes, a dedicated Security hologram would be quite the adversary.

But that was not was happening here. Despite all its terrifying abilities, this was - in fact - still a re-purposed Emergency Medical Hologram, indeed even just a Mk-1, active on a modified Romulan Scout. The Scout had not been designed with the system in mind; around him, trappings of the original craft displayed the obvious: this EMH had been brought in after-the-fact, generated by some semi-mobile remote unit and fed into the hastily installed Federation holoniodes, rather than fully integrated into ship systems. He'd seen such things before, mostly during the War. A large device, akin to an emergency subspace beacon, feeding a network of remote emitters. Duration would be limited, but it didn't need to run for long - with its abilities, it would make short work of any intruders before it needed to recharge. Considering the singular pilot, such a devastating and renewable bodyguard made perfect sense.

As did the device's location. It could only be one place - the safest place for its user: the cockpit.

Disturbingly, he reached the forward control without further interdiction, and as he inched in, rifle up, looking down sights, he saw a slumped figure in one of the two primary chairs: his quarry, Falleg's father.

And beside him, between the two seats, was the tell-tale waist-high monolith; the source of all their current woes.

A ripple in the air was the only warning John got before a photonic fist raced towards his face. Through luck more than reaction, John's head twitched just enough to be out of its path, and the hard-light club mashed into the bulkhead, crushing some screen into disuse. Black opaque silicon showed them both, but only Saxon felt it. He rolled along the wall away, phaser rifle clutched to his chest before coming up to fire at the generator.

The EMH's hand grabbed the rifle and it would be a matter of moments for this boarding action to be a failure, with both teams perhaps disposed of at its convenience.

Imitation eyes met organic.

Saxon fired.

Even at moderate power, the nadion blast detonated the mobile unit with an impressive bang and before the EMH winked out of existence, Saxon would swear that the expression of the hologram changed from anger to befuddlement, looking around as it just waking up from some dream.

Then it was gone.

'Century' allowed himself a moment to recover, before checking the lifesigns of Falleg with his fingers. Alive, although in some kind of torpor; John couldn't help but feel for the man - whatever he must have gone through in the subspace anomaly must have been utterly horrific, if his own limited exposure was anything to compare against. Looking outside the cockpit window, John was surprised not to see the tell-tale signs of Healy's tractor beam; it seemed the Scout's was still possession was still up for discussion. Lowering its shields was therefore not an option.

From his equipment belt, one of several transport enhancer discs was attached to the man's tunic before jogging, albeit gingerly, back towards the rear compartments to do the same with the others. M'Kai, on behalf of her and her senseless comrades, made quite clear her feelings at their perceived capture, but since no reinforcements had been sent in since this whole farce began, it was clear neither ship had the ability to bring either side to their own turf without help from within. To the victor, the spoils. And like it or not, the Healy had better medical facilities.

"=/\= Saxon to Healy. Seven to beam back - medical and security teams urgently required on arrival. =/\="

Several discs, encrypted to Healy's transporters, remained behind for a new team to secure the ship when circumstances permitted.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.