Season 2 Episode 5 - Practice Makes Perfect

Started by Michael J. Tritter, February 11, 2018, 08:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanner Lachlyn

Quote from: Michael J. Tritter on February 18, 2018, 12:09:49 AM

[Location: Commanding Officer's Office]

Tritter was a fairly perceptive type and he knew a decent bit about each crew member, after twentyish years in Law Enforcement, he had an almost uncanny way of learning about people. He pondered over her comment for a few moments, it sounded an awful lot like his own past, but he didn't often talk about his own past. After a few moments of thought, he replied with, "I've grown to love being under the gun if you will, theres nothing I enjoy more. What I can tell you is this, keep your head on a swivel" He didn't want to give it away, but he wanted to give her some advice to help her along.

"Swivel, got it." Tanner took the advice and offered a smile, "A useful but deferred answer. Makes me even more curious what you've got cooking." Tanner curiously looked to the door,"Can I assume I am to be staying for the meeting you've called?"

Michael J. Tritter

Quote from: Tanner Lachlyn on February 19, 2018, 11:25:55 PM

"Swivel, got it." Tanner took the advice and offered a smile, "A useful but deferred answer. Makes me even more curious what you've got cooking." Tanner curiously looked to the door,"Can I assume I am to be staying for the meeting you've called?"

Tritter found her reply... surprisingly familiar. Such would be something that he would have said had such been told to him, she was oddly like him. But he wouldn't let on to such, but he nodded slightly to her reply and stated, "Yes, you will be staying" He remained vague on purpose, he knew that if she was anything like him, her mind would be focused on just that.

Quote from: Felicity Ellis on February 19, 2018, 03:50:19 PM

[CMO's Office]

"All too true," she replied softly, nodding in agreement. She was personally all too familiar with the concept of trauma suppression. She often coached others through it but remained guilty of the practice herself. Although with her tendency to over-analyse and internalise, and the many hours she lay awake during the night-cycle with all of those pesky, unhelpful thoughts, sometimes work was a blessed break.

The corner of her eyes were crinkled as she laughed at his parting shot; which added just the right amount of levity to their discussion following those heavier yet heartfelt words. "You have such a knack for saying all the right things Chief that I might just have to bottle you up and hand you out to my patients after every session." Never underestimate the importance of supportive hierarchy. "But in all seriousness, thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support, and the opportunities that I have here on this team. And if anything should jeopardise that then I promise, you will be the very first person to know."

[Later - Counselor's Office]

Having re-read Commander Mackenzie's rather extensive file, which was inclusive of various psychological analyses and reports from colleagues within Star Fleet, she dropped the PADD she was holding to her desk and began to form a plan of action. Upon arriving on the Starbase she had combed through all of the officers' profiles over the course of several weeks, and while Mackenzie's had indeed been one of the more interesting reads, a contrasting opinion of the security chief, based in some part on what she'd read but primarily on observation, was taking shape.

She rose smoothly from her seat and tapped her badge. =/\="Understood, Captain. ETA: Ten minutes. Ellis out." =/\=

Felicity could only speculate that her summons had something to do with the Captain's battle drill plans; and she knew they were contingent on the release of her wards. Or at least, one in particular. Before she could report definitively back to him there was someone she had to pay a quick visit to.

[Passageway - En Route to Officers' Quarters]

Her sure footsteps echoed in the corridor as she turned a corner and strode purposefully, a wry smile tugging a corner of her mouth at the Onlies' timing.  =/\="I doubt you'd find my office any more stimulating, Commander. But as luck would have it, I'm on my way to you. Does right now suit?"=/\=

She tapped the panel outside of his door and listened for that telltale chime.

Tritter than heard the reply from the Lieutenant, he simply tapped his comm badge and replied with, "Acknowledged, Lieutenant", his heavily accented voice was short and to the point as he addressed the Counselor. He hadn't heard from the others he had requested, but he would give them a bit more time, although he wasn't too amused in all honesty.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Tanner Lachlyn

Quote from: Michael J. Tritter on February 20, 2018, 12:12:18 AM

Tritter found her reply... surprisingly familiar. Such would be something that he would have said had such been told to him, she was oddly like him. But he wouldn't let on to such, but he nodded slightly to her reply and stated, "Yes, you will be staying" He remained vague on purpose, he knew that if she was anything like him, her mind would be focused on just that.

Tritter than heard the reply from the Lieutenant, he simply tapped his comm badge and replied with, "Acknowledged, Lieutenant", his heavily accented voice was short and to the point as he addressed the Counselor. He hadn't heard from the others he had requested, but he would give them a bit more time, although he wasn't too amused in all honesty.

If she had a watch, she'd be checking it. Not one for awkward or long silences, the petite human eyeballed a chair and said, "Given nobody is in a rush to arrive, mind if I sit?" Tanner gave a moment for a response before she found herself already moving into the arms of the cushioned perch, "I didn't recognize a lot of those names you said. What departments did you call down?" The answers to that question might help her narrow down what he was up to.

Kyan Mackenzie

[Passageway - En Route to Officers' Quarters]

Her sure footsteps echoed in the corridor as she turned a corner and strode purposefully, a wry smile tugging a corner of her mouth at the Onlies' timing.  =/\="I doubt you'd find my office any more stimulating, Commander. But as luck would have it, I'm on my way to you. Does right now suit?"=/\=

She tapped the panel outside of his door and listened for that telltale chime.

Kyan gave his quarters a quick glance. Clean by his own standards, and clean enough for the headshrinker too he decided. And the abnormal bit was, they were pretty clean. He'd put away his action figures, and even managed to finish cleaning his 21st century projectile weapons. They now sat in their rack on the wall with the other tools of his trade that had been collected over the years. His clothes had been tossed in the reclamation unit, and his bed was... made.....ish. "And if she disapproves, then she can make the damned thin 'erself so she can!" he told himself.

In all honesty he just wanted to get the whole unpleasant episode behind him and get back to doing what he was supposed to be doing, which was catching baddies and getting the Security Department trained, which most of them needed, as they were new. The ones from Tritter's time were good, if not a little too "nice" but Kyan didn't fault Tritter for that. That was a Starfleet thing. Starfleet itself was too nice and friendly.

And soft! he sighed. Been too long since they had a proper war to weed out all the powder puffs!

It was then that his door chime sounded.

"Come in!" he called out. "Tis Open."

Felicity Ellis

Quote from: Kyan Mackenzie on February 20, 2018, 01:08:17 AM

"Come in!" he called out. "Tis Open."

She stepped into the Commander's quarters, her eyes automatically roving over the decently sized room and coming to rest on the collection of weapons displayed on the rack on his wall. She had no idea what any of them actually were, but the collection was apt, she decided, and an arresting decor choice. Many said that you could tell a lot about an individual based on their living quarters and the paraphernalia they chose to surround themselves with, but there was a good reason why Felicity much preferred to see people in a professional capacity outside of their own turf. She wondered what the unpacked containers in her office and sparse bedroom might say about her. She decided that she'd been on board more than long enough now to unpack her life. Maybe she should be asking for decorating tips.

"The station needs its Chief of Security, and the Captain needs you for the upcoming drills," she began, tearing her eyes away from trying to mentally catalogue the various weaponry to meet Mackenzie's. "I'm signing off on your return to duty."

She neglected to add that she would not be doing the same for Ensign Paulsen; whose 'house arrest' would continue a little longer. Or at least until such time as she was satisfied that he'd adhere to procedure and had the capacity to follow orders, no matter who the superior officer giving them might be. The severity of insubordination accusations seemed entirely lost on the Ensign, and she had to be sure that he fully grasped all consequences before she could release him.

The Commander, on the other hand, was an entirely different kettle of fish. "I have two conditions though, if you wouldn't mind humouring me. The first is that you must give me your word that as soon as these drills are over, you'll come and see me. I'd really like to discuss alternative ways of addressing the kind of resistance you came up against on the Gibson's bridge. And I'd love to talk about a training program for non-security or tactical personnel. I agree that everyone should be able to defend themselves adequately." Granted, there'd been absolutely nothing she could have done against the aliens that had invaded her body, but the experience had thrown into sharp relief that which she sorely lacked. "Including me."

"Of course," she continued, giving a slight shrug of her shoulders, "You don't have to listen to any of it, but it would look good on paper. The second is more of a request: please don't shoot the officers in the rump." She paused, thinking through how that sounded aloud. It was a little ridiculous, truth be told, and she decided quickly to amend it. "Unless they shoot at you first."

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'
Bio: Felicity Ellis

Auzual Knox

[Puzzles]
[quote Derek]
"Well hello Ari. That's a wonderful name." Derek glanced up at Leanna, giving her a quick conspiratory wink. "I'm Derek. Say, have you ever had maple syrup before?" Out of his pocket, he produced an amber leaf shaped lollipop, one of a stash he kept in his office for their many pediatric patients. And for that occasional bout of homesickness. "Maybe Auntie Knox could help you unwrap it?" Looking to tease Katharoz for her newest role as the favourite aunt, he caught the subtle exchange between the two women. "If mom says it's alright, of course." He added.
[/quote]

Knox knew where he was going with this and decided that as she shall be changing into her Gibson / away suit that was more studier than their normal uniform, sticky hands did not matter.

She awaited the 'Ok' from Leanna and proceeded to unwrap as the young child's eyes beamed.

"I am glad you did not ask me to put my hand in your pocket to find a sweet surprise, Derek."

"Leanna, you make sure to spend as much time as you can with this little one. She is precious."

Knox handed Ari back to her and held her hand a little longer than the usual social norm. Her beautiful friend had already been through so much, thus she was strong. However, one should not have to be strong. She simply smiled.

"See you in 10 days. Derek, I shall see you in 40 minutes on the Bridge."

~ A little time later ~

[Gibson: Bridge]

"Captain on the Bridge."

Knox nodded to the crew.

"Helm. Is our course laid in?"

"Yes, Ma'am. And, I think she is ready to stretch her wings."

"I have a feeling we shall be doing more than stretching her wings, Ensign."

The junior officers were the last to know orders, though the first to know good gossip it seemed. Their eyes brightened by the thought of not performing routine maneuvers.

Knox sat down in the chair, resisting the urge to check on the various consoles. Her people had her trust, thus, she had to let it go. She looked towards her Sec/ Tactical officer, an enlisted crewman. She found his calling interesting, considering that he was named after a Roman politician and lawyer.

"Cicero. Have all of the new additions to the ship gone to plan? We should be hearing from Engineering shortly."

Cicero responded succinctly, 'yes'.

PAST HOSTS OF THE KNOX SYMBIONT | Sirzi Diplomat (First to Vulcan) | Darzem Trill Private Service (CLASSIFIED) | Jorzon Engineer (Died young in an engineering accident) | Izu Geneticist (Crimes against Trill Law, Symbiont removed, outcast) | Nazar Ambassador for Trill (Loved everything that life had to offer; woman, wine and weddings) | Katharoz StarFleet First Officer of SBC (Died. Investigations ongoing) | The Seventh Unknown Alien species shared host.

Member of the Great House of Ruktah PENDING General Yoduk's approval.

Michael J. Tritter

Quote from: Tanner Lachlyn on February 20, 2018, 12:58:24 AM

If she had a watch, she'd be checking it. Not one for awkward or long silences, the petite human eyeballed a chair and said, "Given nobody is in a rush to arrive, mind if I sit?" Tanner gave a moment for a response before she found herself already moving into the arms of the cushioned perch, "I didn't recognize a lot of those names you said. What departments did you call down?" The answers to that question might help her narrow down what he was up to.

Tritter pondered the request of the Security Cadet, he than nodded slightly and said "Go ahead Cadet" He was a bit disappointed that the others were... slow, but he remained silent, he wasn't pleased. That is a topic he will have to deal with later. But he than replied with "Ensign Dorset from Science and Ensign Kentrat from Operations", his tone remained smooth and mellow as he spoke to the Cadet, he didn't want to give her any hints... As he was a bit of the type to not let her in on what was up... yet, but he may have to, as the others appears to not be coming, and it looks like he will have some crew issues to deal with.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Kyan Mackenzie

Quote from: Felicity Ellis on February 20, 2018, 08:22:52 AM

She stepped into the Commander's quarters, her eyes automatically roving over the decently sized room and coming to rest on the collection of weapons displayed on the rack on his wall. She had no idea what any of them actually were, but the collection was apt, she decided, and an arresting decor choice. Many said that you could tell a lot about an individual based on their living quarters and the paraphernalia they chose to surround themselves with, but there was a good reason why Felicity much preferred to see people in a professional capacity outside of their own turf. She wondered what the unpacked containers in her office and sparse bedroom might say about her. She decided that she'd been on board more than long enough now to unpack her life. Maybe she should be asking for decorating tips.

"The station needs its Chief of Security, and the Captain needs you for the upcoming drills," she began, tearing her eyes away from trying to mentally catalogue the various weaponry to meet Mackenzie's. "I'm signing off on your return to duty."

She neglected to add that she would not be doing the same for Ensign Paulsen; whose 'house arrest' would continue a little longer. Or at least until such time as she was satisfied that he'd adhere to procedure and had the capacity to follow orders, no matter who the superior officer giving them might be. The severity of insubordination accusations seemed entirely lost on the Ensign, and she had to be sure that he fully grasped all consequences before she could release him.

The Commander, on the other hand, was an entirely different kettle of fish. "I have two conditions though, if you wouldn't mind humouring me. The first is that you must give me your word that as soon as these drills are over, you'll come and see me. I'd really like to discuss alternative ways of addressing the kind of resistance you came up against on the Gibson's bridge. And I'd love to talk about a training program for non-security or tactical personnel. I agree that everyone should be able to defend themselves adequately." Granted, there'd been absolutely nothing she could have done against the aliens that had invaded her body, but the experience had thrown into sharp relief that which she sorely lacked. "Including me."

"Of course," she continued, giving a slight shrug of her shoulders, "You don't have to listen to any of it, but it would look good on paper. The second is more of a request: please don't shoot the officers in the rump." She paused, thinking through how that sounded aloud. It was a little ridiculous, truth be told, and she decided quickly to amend it. "Unless they shoot at you first."

Well this was good news. Kyan had prepared himself for a long drawn out affair wherein they would discuss feelings, and why Ensign Paulsen's feelings were important or some other psycho-kum-bay-ah business, the which he didn't want to hear. AND he was fully prepared to demand action figure therapy, which WAS a thing, and which he would have used to salvage at least some bit of the situation. Now though, that wasn't neccesary... which made him a little sad because he HAD just come up with a great new scenario to play!

Alas though, there was no time.

"Erhm... well thanks be to the Powers for your Mercy Miss Ellis... and as a gesture tae yerself, an their own holy selves... Oi'll try me hardest not ta shoot anyone in the arse... with a phaser... on this mission." Kyan piped up sincerely. "An' we can talk more after it so we can, provided that Oi'm not in the Summerlands."

He extended his hand. "An that's me word on it, sure as the Powers be watchin."

[After Ellis Left]

Kyan regarded the padd before him like a child... which he supposed was true... on Christmas. The dagger that he's given as tribute to Tritter's new command must have made an impression for the stoic human to have given him the assignment that the padd detailed.

[Mission Orders, LtCDR Mackenzie, Kyan - CHSECTAC, SBC]

You will take command of the Freighter Ticonderoga as of this stardate for a wargames exercise. Your objective will be an assault on SBC and the capture of a high value target. Upon capture of your target, or destruction of your vessel, apprehension of yourself or most of your crew, or upon orders from (Acting) Captain Tritter, SBC Commnder, the wargame will be concluded. The following personnel are on temporary assignment as your crew.

First Officer/Science Officer: Lieutenant T'Prina
Chief Engineering Officer: Lieutenant Commander Daniel Howell
Operations Officer: Crewman Bnada
Security/Tactical Crewman: Crewman Voclar son of K'mpar

[Nothing Follows]

Kyan had discarded his uniform in record time and donned his civilian clothes. He'd also managed to pack everything he might need for the mission, which included several bottles of spirits... for his crew. When he was ready, he tapped his com badge.

=/\= Mackenzie to T'Prina, Howell, B'nada, and Kempar. Pack up fer at least a week the now. Report to docking bay two in civilian clothes in one hour. Ye may want tae be bringin yer eye patches! Arrrr! Mackenzie out! =/\=

With that, the little Security Chief slung his duffel and stepped out of his quarters, eager to get this mission rolling.

Felicity Ellis

Quote from: Kyan Mackenzie on February 21, 2018, 01:04:54 AM

Well this was good news. Kyan had prepared himself for a long drawn out affair wherein they would discuss feelings, and why Ensign Paulsen's feelings were important or some other psycho-kum-bay-ah business, the which he didn't want to hear. AND he was fully prepared to demand action figure therapy, which WAS a thing, and which he would have used to salvage at least some bit of the situation. Now though, that wasn't neccesary... which made him a little sad because he HAD just come up with a great new scenario to play!

Alas though, there was no time.

"Erhm... well thanks be to the Powers for your Mercy Miss Ellis... and as a gesture tae yerself, an their own holy selves... Oi'll try me hardest not ta shoot anyone in the arse... with a phaser... on this mission." Kyan piped up sincerely. "An' we can talk more after it so we can, provided that Oi'm not in the Summerlands."

He extended his hand. "An that's me word on it, sure as the Powers be watchin."

[Crew Quarters]

Felicity's brow arched and she smiled as Mackenzie defined the terms of his promise, the specificity of the additions proving to be quite amusing. As tickled as she was by his words, she'd take them.

"Excellent." She clasped his hand and shook on the deal, already looking forward to reading the report. "I'll leave you to it then, Commander. Good luck and good hunting."

[CO's Office]

"Captain," she greeted as she swept into the Command Officer's office for the first time, careful not to let her curiosity distract her from the matter at hand. "Apologies for my delay." Catching sight of Lachlyn already seated, and knowing that she had been present for much of the earlier discussion in Sickbay and thus already somewhat in the loop, she continued her report to Tritter. "The Lieutenant Commander has reported to his post." Short, to the point, if not a little cryptic. Going into any further detail regarding the issue in their current setting would have been unprofessional, in her opinion. A full written report would be made available as soon as she had the opportunity.

"Cadet, good to see you again." She smiled at the security officer and came to a stop behind an unoccupied chair, awaiting the Captain's orders.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'
Bio: Felicity Ellis

Leanna Mazal

Quote from: Katharoz Knox on February 20, 2018, 07:39:57 PM

[Puzzles]
Knox knew where he was going with this and decided that as she shall be changing into her Gibson / away suit that was more studier than their normal uniform, sticky hands did not matter.

She awaited the 'Ok' from Leanna and proceeded to unwrap as the young child's eyes beamed.

"I am glad you did not ask me to put my hand in your pocket to find a sweet surprise, Derek."

"Leanna, you make sure to spend as much time as you can with this little one. She is precious."

Knox handed Ari back to her and held her hand a little longer than the usual social norm. Her beautiful friend had already been through so much, thus she was strong. However, one should not have to be strong. She simply smiled.

[Puzzles]

Even the way Derek responded to Ariana before asking if she had ever had tasted maple syrup before added to his charm even more so when he then produced a leaf shaped lollipop and teased Knox about her new role as Auntie. Her resolve was close to breaking at that point but knew she had to ignore it especially as she didn't want to cause any unnecessary tension. Ariana meanwhile smiled at Derek shaking her head at his question then looked to her mother when she was asked if it was okay.

"Of course it is " she replied smiling as she wasn't one to deny her daughter from experiencing new things as she listened to Knox give Derek just as playful a comment back. Watching with delight as her daughter took the lollipop and began to enjoy it as Knox then spoke to her. Touched by what her friend said especially when she then handed Ariana back and held onto her hand longer than normal. Looking into her friends eyes she answered her " I will I promise and she is " she said as Knox then told her that she would see her in ten days.

" Take care, stay safe and we'll meet up when you get back " she said before she left leaving her alone with Derek. Again she didn't feel awkward around him despite the internal struggle going on inside of her. " Thank you for the lollipop Derek, you definitely have a friend for life now " she said with a grin. " I'm also going to say the same to you, stay safe with whatever you two are involved in and I'll see you when you return as well".

Michael J. Tritter

Quote from: Felicity Ellis on February 21, 2018, 06:43:22 AM

[Crew Quarters]

Felicity's brow arched and she smiled as Mackenzie defined the terms of his promise, the specificity of the additions proving to be quite amusing. As tickled as she was by his words, she'd take them.

"Excellent." She clasped his hand and shook on the deal, already looking forward to reading the report. "I'll leave you to it then, Commander. Good luck and good hunting."

[CO's Office]

"Captain," she greeted as she swept into the Command Officer's office for the first time, careful not to let her curiosity distract her from the matter at hand. "Apologies for my delay." Catching sight of Lachlyn already seated, and knowing that she had been present for much of the earlier discussion in Sickbay and thus already somewhat in the loop, she continued her report to Tritter. "The Lieutenant Commander has reported to his post." Short, to the point, if not a little cryptic. Going into any further detail regarding the issue in their current setting would have been unprofessional, in her opinion. A full written report would be made available as soon as she had the opportunity.

"Cadet, good to see you again." She smiled at the security officer and came to a stop behind an unoccupied chair, awaiting the Captain's orders.

Tritter wagered he had everyone who was going to show up, he wasn't too thrilled about two of them not showing up, but that is something that will be dealt with later. He than noticed the Counselor's arrival, he listened carefully to her entire statement, he than stated, "Hello Lieutenant and thank you. Let me know when the report is available" He kept it short and professional, as they didn't need to go to detail infront of the Cadet.

He than took a moment and stated, "Thank you both for coming, as part of the Command Change, the higher ups want to make sure we are up to the potential challenges of battle. You two are assigned to my team, Cadet Lachlyn will be serving as my Chief of Security and Lieutenant, we will need your help with handling any potential casualities, and perhaps as back up for Security if needed. Keep your heads on a swivel, things will happen, but a when and where is not something I will share, as this will keep you on your toes. Questions?" His heavily accented voice was calm and focused, he knew he had a mission and there was nothing that would get in his way.

Jenna McKinson

[ U.S.S. Gibson ]

Jenna and her team had gone through their normal procedures getting ready for the report for Knox. "Alright everyone I want some quick simulations run based on the upgrades. If I am correct, this new vessel should have some good bells and whistles. I need everyone on their game at any moment's notice. We may not want to scratch the new paint, but if she can't handle in combat, we're screwed. We are the heart blood of this ship and I picked you all because I believe in you," Jenna stated as she got her crew ready to get things rolling. Since there was a bit of downtime before she would meet with Knox, she decided to pop into the CEO's office aboard the vessel and access her PADD. She had not been in contact with Katheryn or Caleb and it started to worry her.

[ U.S.S. Gibson - Bridge ]

Each step Jenna took she breathed. She had gotten herself to stop crying. Emotions would be damned because Knox needed her to be on her game. She did not want to disappoint so she didn't even give herself time to clean up. She approached the Captain's chair before speaking. "Captian are you ready for my report?" Her tone was professional and hid any emotions she was weighted down by just moments ago.   

"I always try to be true to who I am and just be myself."

Derek Black

[CMO's Office]

"All too true," she replied softly, nodding in agreement. She was personally all too familiar with the concept of trauma suppression. She often coached others through it but remained guilty of the practice herself. Although with her tendency to over-analyse and internalise, and the many hours she lay awake during the night-cycle with all of those pesky, unhelpful thoughts, sometimes work was a blessed break.

The corner of her eyes were crinkled as she laughed at his parting shot; which added just the right amount of levity to their discussion following those heavier yet heartfelt words. "You have such a knack for saying all the right things Chief that I might just have to bottle you up and hand you out to my patients after every session." Never underestimate the importance of supportive hierarchy. "But in all seriousness, thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support, and the opportunities that I have here on this team. And if anything should jeopardise that then I promise, you will be the very first person to know."

[CMO's Office]

"And I wouldn't even be hurt if I were the second or third." Derek remarked dryly, followed by a chuckle at her previous comment. "And I don't know if all your patients would appreciate my bedside manner." Unlike his own often gruff methods, he had no qualms about Flick's. She had the unique ability to make anyone who spoke with her comfortable, regardless of who they were, a characteristic essential for a counselor. And if Derek had it his way, a future CMO.

He had no illusions about the office he held, knowing it was only a temporary berth and that as a non-commissioned physician, the title 'Doctor' that everyone called him by was a courtesy. Derek had never intended to stay on for long term, having looked forwards to retirement even before Starfleet asked him to get on the shuttle for Columbus. After a few months and their interesting missions, he was counting down the days until he'd be able to hand off the reins. Though young, Flick showed every sign of being capable. Derek intended to make it obvious to others too. "I'll speak with 'Fleet Med and ask for the extra hands. I still want you to maintain oversight on the cases they take though, I don't intend on having them here forever, unless you tell me it'd be clinically beneficial."

[Later: Puzzles]

Quote from: Katharoz Knox on February 20, 2018, 07:39:57 PM

[Puzzles]

Derek hid a grin, keeping a straight face around the impressionable youngling. Nobody one-upped a medic with innuendos and got away with it, but he decided to spare Leanna's impressionable child, saving his not-so-family-friendly retort for later. "If I can remember how to get to the docks. See you in a few, Kath."
Quote from: Leanna Mazal on February 21, 2018, 07:15:16 AM

" Take care, stay safe and we'll meet up when you get back " she said before she left leaving her alone with Derek. Again she didn't feel awkward around him despite the internal struggle going on inside of her. " Thank you for the lollipop Derek, you definitely have a friend for life now " she said with a grin. " I'm also going to say the same to you, stay safe with whatever you two are involved in and I'll see you when you return as well".

"Oh, you know as much as I do." Derek chuckled, standing up and picking up his and Knox's empty cups. "And you're welcome. I'm sure with this whole kerfuffle about Tritter's promotion, you'll be seeing a lot of stressed and busy people running around soon. Try to stay out of trouble, and out of Starfleet uniforms." He casually winked at Leanna, going to put the cups back at the bar. "Maybe start planning another party for ten days time? If you build it, come hell or high water, I'll be there."

"I need to run, see you in a while. Bye Ari!" Derek waved cheerfully at the pair before heading off to grab his bag, and then to the Gibson.

[Later: Gibson- Bridge]

Derek had spent enough time on starships, both at war and in peace, to recognize the quality of a vessel just by her corridors and the lines in her hull. Gibson was not a young lady. She had survived for decades, and if she were like any other Starfleet science vessel, had been utilized for tasks far beyond what her designers intended. Still, for an old frigate that had gotten into the ring with someone far above her weight class less than a month ago, she was in relatively good shape. A small, tight, ship. Not the fastest, but battles had never been won while at warp speed. Derek knew what they lacked in firepower could be made up for in guile and maneuverability.

Coming up to the conn, he fell back on old habits from years past, watching the movements of the bridge crew and their purposeful dispositions while readying their ship for departure. Derek wasn't pleased with the extra seconds it took for him to make the observations; he had gotten older, slower. That would have to change. Taking a seat next to Knox, he greeted her almost cheerfully. "Captain...Auntie." His second comment was much quieter, teasingly, so only she would hear. "What are we in for?" Derek asked, back at a normal volume.

Leanna Mazal

Quote from: Derek Black on February 21, 2018, 01:48:05 PM

[Later: Puzzles]

Derek hid a grin, keeping a straight face around the impressionable youngling. Nobody one-upped a medic with innuendos and got away with it, but he decided to spare Leanna's impressionable child, saving his not-so-family-friendly retort for later. "If I can remember how to get to the docks. See you in a few, Kath."

"Oh, you know as much as I do." Derek chuckled, standing up and picking up his and Knox's empty cups. "And you're welcome. I'm sure with this whole kerfuffle about Tritter's promotion, you'll be seeing a lot of stressed and busy people running around soon. Try to stay out of trouble, and out of Starfleet uniforms." He casually winked at Leanna, going to put the cups back at the bar. "Maybe start planning another party for ten days time? If you build it, come hell or high water, I'll be there."

"I need to run, see you in a while. Bye Ari!" Derek waved cheerfully at the pair before heading off to grab his bag, and then to the Gibson.

[Puzzles]

The teasing continued as Derek responded to Knox's request knowing that if Ariana wasn't here it wouldn't of been so innuendo free and appreciated the gesture from him. She also thought it was sweet of him to pick up his and Knox's empty cups as he spoke to her and couldn't help but smile especially when he told her to stay out of trouble and out of Starfleet uniform.

" Okay I had a feeling you would not forget that in a hurry and you know me trouble always finds me " she replied grinning before he suggested that she plan another party for when they returned and her heart fluttered again at the thought of him being there.

" I think that can be arranged " she said as he then bid her and Ariana farewell. " See you Derek and be safe both of you " she called after him. Once he had gone she felt a little deflated hoping that whatever was being planned would go well for all of those involved. However after taking a deep breath she was back to her normal self as Ariana continued to enjoy the lollipop as her mother then carried her to meet up with her Oma.

Kissing her on the cheek, she promised to be home in time to read her a bedtime story as she then handed her over to Oma before watching them walk out of Puzzles remembering Knox's words.

Xander Dorset

[Alternate Science Lab - Secured]

Xander's jacket and comm badge were haphazardly piled in the corner of the room - in spite of T'Prina's continued annoyance with his refusal to se a locker - as he leaned over a giant tank filled with water and three rather lively inhabitants. His head jerked back as another splash of water shot out of the tank and made contact with his face. Xander snorted and shook his head like a wet dog and lurched for the culprit with a muttered curse, even as a smile threatened to break out on his face. The faint chirping of his discarded commbadge was completely drowned out by the splashing that ensued.

A couple minutes later, he had collected the last of their preliminary measurements and turned, dripping, to T'Prina where she sat observing and recording on a nearby stool, unsurprisingly still pristine and dry. "You know," Xander began, wringing out his undershirt to release a satisfying trickle of water onto the lab floor, "a two person job is usually easier when there are actually two people working on it. Where's Ensign What's-His-Face that you pulled for this project? I'm not going to say Á¢â,¬ËœI told you so,' but I did say that adding a person to this dream team wasn't going to work."

Xander would have continued complaining about the missing ensign, but he heard a faint chirping from his PADD. Apparently he had missed a summons to Captain Tritter's office. He sighed at the inconvenience and moved to toss his jacket on over his still-wet undershirt. He was already late, and his quarters were on the other side of the station, so he didn't have time to go back and change. Brushing his still-dripping hair out of his eyes, he turned to the Vulcan at the data terminal once more.

"Hey, Á¢â,¬ËœPrina, as fun as this is, I need to head up to the Captain's office for something or other. I'll come back and finish cleaning up our friends' mess once I'm done - or, better yet, I'll get the other awol ensign to do it and make myself feel better." By the time he finished, he had already ducked out the door. During his time on the Columbus, Xander had grown to develop a deep respect for T'Prina, and the two of them had fallen into an unusual friendship based in mutual exasperation and unlimited sarcasm. It suited Xander just fine.

[Captain's Office]

Xander rant to announce his presence, then continued straight into the room, arriving obviously late to a meeting. He figured his soaking wet and disheveled appearance would be enough proof to those assembled that he wasn't shirking his duties though - there was just important science to be done after all. "Sorry I'm late, Cap. Lieutenant T'Prina and I were working on that project you approved last week, but things were a little... difficult with a missing ensign. What did I miss?"

"Impossible is nothing

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.