Double Trouble

Started by Jules Bash, February 09, 2018, 02:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules Bash

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on February 07, 2018, 06:14:01 PM

JAG Courtroom

Ruth let out the breath she hadn't been aware she'd been holding almost since the judge entered the room.

"Did he just say we got off scot free?" she said not believing it, and welcomed Jules's arm around her, and even snuggled in a little closer.

"I don't fancy our changes here if we just sit here, I've got a feeling that someone will throw us out pretty soon anyhow so... shall we find somewhere for a drink, and I mean a proper one cuz I could use that, or a good cry, or, well... that one's probably out of the question, so drink and/or good cry it is as I've been holding this in far too long.  Now, I'll get you a drink but I don't suppose you'd want to be around a weepy female so you're excused that one if you want to slope off after the drink, and I won't hate you... just find me somewhere quiet to go hide and I won't hold it against you."

She sniffed back a tear shaking her head.  "And I really should check in on the twins while I'm on base, I don't know when I might get the time again.  If you want to meet the miscreants ... basically think of me, thirteen years old, doubled!  So what do you say, what order and where and well, how much of that would you like to do with me?"

[Starbase Courtroom]
Jules looked at her. "You're a downright mess, you know that? It sounds like we might be jumping back to the ship soon, so lets go check in on the twins, which the idea of you, twice, at 13, terrifies me by the way. Then we can get a drink back on the Athena. So, lead the way, weepy woman." Jules said, pulling her up to a standing position with him, and nudging her into the outflow of pedestrians.
Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on February 09, 2018, 01:17:20 PM

[JAG Courtroom]

"Is that a take on the Terran band 'The Eagles' song 'Witchy Woman'?" Ruth giggled through her tears.  "Anyhow, yes... the twins are terrifying but fun and just what I need..."

Jules gave her a sidelong look. "How much Terran history did you think I learned at the Mars Academy? I don't understand 75% of anything you say that starts with 'the Terran' anything."

He reached down and held her hand, a comfortable touch, as he let her lead the way through the mass of people exiting the courtroom.

"Speaking of not knowing, I don't think I've ever been here past the half-hour stop over from Mars to the Athena. Lead the way fire head."

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 09, 2018, 02:47:09 PM

Jules looked at her. "You're a downright mess, you know that? It sounds like we might be jumping back to the ship soon, so lets go check in on the twins, which the idea of you, twice, at 13, terrifies me by the way. Then we can get a drink back on the Athena. So, lead the way, weepy woman." Jules said, pulling her up to a standing position with him, and nudging her into the outflow of pedestrians.

Jules gave her a sidelong look. "How much Terran history did you think I learned at the Mars Academy? I don't understand 75% of anything you say that starts with 'the Terran' anything."

He reached down and held her hand, a comfortable touch, as he let her lead the way through the mass of people exiting the courtroom.

"Speaking of not knowing, I don't think I've ever been here past the half-hour stop over from Mars to the Athena. Lead the way fire head."

Courtroom > Starbase

"Well I'll just have to teach you then, mind that might take a while, but we have a while I think!" Ruth said giving his hand a squeeze where it was in his.  "I mean in terms of the fact that we aren't going to be 'not friends' anytime soon.  And firehead... well that's a new nickname." she tittered, tears perilously close but being held at bay by Jules's banter.

Putting on a brave face she said "You know, it's probably better not to face the twins with a tear stained face, they'd think you'd been upsetting me and they'd beat you up.  Now what time is it..."

She found a chronometer on a nearby wall and smiled.  "Well I wouldn't normally take them out of schooling but it's for an hour or so... so let's go liberate them."

She stepped into a nearby turbolift and ordered it to the Education Wing.  Stepping out she found a console and found which class the twins would be in.

"C'mon I think they are in 11C."

They stopped in front of the door and Ruth palmed the chime.  The teacher, a young male Vulcan appeared.

"May I be of assistance?"

"Ah yes, I'm Lt. Ruth Sigurdsdottir and I believe my twin sisters Arya and Katya Sigurdsdottir are in this class, I'm only on base about 3 hours before I must rejoin my ship and I wondered if I might take them out of class for that time.  I promise that they'll make up the work they miss because of this."

The Vulcan went back to his console, tapped a few buttons and then nodded and beckoned to the twins.

"It seems you are their legal guardian, and assigned to the USS Shran which will, as you say be disembarking in a few hours.  Very well, girls I have sent the exercises to your work PADDs along with tonight's homework.  Enjoy yourselves.  Ma'am..." he gave the Vulcan salute.  "Live Long and Prosper."

Ruth inclined her head and returned the greeting.

"Thank you Ensign you have been most helpful. Right you miscreants, you have 3 hours, what say we go get pizza and ice cream and you can catch me up with everything.  Oh and I'd like you to meet my friend, Petty Officer Bash."

"Hi" the girls said in unison, giving each other 'knowing' looks "Where's Will, and why you wearing those uniforms?"

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Jules Bash

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on February 09, 2018, 05:51:02 PM

Courtroom > Starbase

"Well I'll just have to teach you then, mind that might take a while, but we have a while I think!" Ruth said giving his hand a squeeze where it was in his.  "I mean in terms of the fact that we aren't going to be 'not friends' anytime soon.  And firehead... well that's a new nickname." she tittered, tears perilously close but being held at bay by Jules's banter.

Putting on a brave face she said "You know, it's probably better not to face the twins with a tear stained face, they'd think you'd been upsetting me and they'd beat you up.  Now what time is it..."

She found a chronometer on a nearby wall and smiled.  "Well I wouldn't normally take them out of schooling but it's for an hour or so... so let's go liberate them."

She stepped into a nearby turbolift and ordered it to the Education Wing.  Stepping out she found a console and found which class the twins would be in.

"C'mon I think they are in 11C."

They stopped in front of the door and Ruth palmed the chime.  The teacher, a young male Vulcan appeared.

"May I be of assistance?"

"Ah yes, I'm Lt. Ruth Sigurdsdottir and I believe my twin sisters Arya and Katya Sigurdsdottir are in this class, I'm only on base about 3 hours before I must rejoin my ship and I wondered if I might take them out of class for that time.  I promise that they'll make up the work they miss because of this."

The Vulcan went back to his console, tapped a few buttons and then nodded and beckoned to the twins.

"It seems you are their legal guardian, and assigned to the USS Shran which will, as you say be disembarking in a few hours.  Very well, girls I have sent the exercises to your work PADDs along with tonight's homework.  Enjoy yourselves.  Ma'am..." he gave the Vulcan salute.  "Live Long and Prosper."

Ruth inclined her head and returned the greeting.

"Thank you Ensign you have been most helpful. Right you miscreants, you have 3 hours, what say we go get pizza and ice cream and you can catch me up with everything.  Oh and I'd like you to meet my friend, Petty Officer Bash."

"Hi" the girls said in unison, giving each other 'knowing' looks "Where's Will, and why you wearing those uniforms?"

[Classroom]
Arya and Katya. He'd try to remember those names. Until they both showed up and he quite decidedly named them "the twins". He wouldn't be able to tell them apart, let alone keep the names straight. It got even worse as he tried to decipher the look between them as Ruth pointed out who he was. Oddly enough, meeting them in person made him more worried about their nature, besides what had already been described to him. He knew he would need to respond, instead of keeping to the silent back. Something about them seemed to challenge him. Which was odd, to be challenged by two half sized pink skins. He considered trying to use the remark Ruth had made in regard to the uniforms, but felt like he might have remembered it wrong. Jules didn't think she had said something about them being made by the eagle out of original monkey hair. But it was all he could remember.

Better safe than sorry in front of these two. "How should I know where Will is? And we're wearing this because we wanted to look fancy when we got told off for doing what I planned out, that's why. Did you want pizza and cream or should we stand here explaining why looking fancy requires you to be very uncomfortable?" There. That wasn't half bad was it?

Honestly, Jules wasn't totally sure what he'd just said. Somehow these two put him off edge. Maybe it was the fact that he hadn't been around children much of his life. Most of his childhood had been on a freighter, the tail end of it was him beginning his work at the space dock. Not a whole lot in the way of children on either.

Then again, it could be the fact that he already disliked this vulcan teacher. He seemed pompous, and an aggressive follower of rules. And he was vulcan. Sure it had been a few hundred years since Andorians and Vulcans had really started getting on one another's case, but cultural grudges took long to die, especially among blue collar types.

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 10, 2018, 07:56:47 AM

[Classroom]
Arya and Katya. He'd try to remember those names. Until they both showed up and he quite decidedly named them "the twins". He wouldn't be able to tell them apart, let alone keep the names straight. It got even worse as he tried to decipher the look between them as Ruth pointed out who he was. Oddly enough, meeting them in person made him more worried about their nature, besides what had already been described to him. He knew he would need to respond, instead of keeping to the silent back. Something about them seemed to challenge him. Which was odd, to be challenged by two half sized pink skins. He considered trying to use the remark Ruth had made in regard to the uniforms, but felt like he might have remembered it wrong. Jules didn't think she had said something about them being made by the eagle out of original monkey hair. But it was all he could remember.

Better safe than sorry in front of these two. "How should I know where Will is? And we're wearing this because we wanted to look fancy when we got told off for doing what I planned out, that's why. Did you want pizza and cream or should we stand here explaining why looking fancy requires you to be very uncomfortable?" There. That wasn't half bad was it?

Honestly, Jules wasn't totally sure what he'd just said. Somehow these two put him off edge. Maybe it was the fact that he hadn't been around children much of his life. Most of his childhood had been on a freighter, the tail end of it was him beginning his work at the space dock. Not a whole lot in the way of children on either.

Then again, it could be the fact that he already disliked this vulcan teacher. He seemed pompous, and an aggressive follower of rules. And he was vulcan. Sure it had been a few hundred years since Andorians and Vulcans had really started getting on one another's case, but cultural grudges took long to die, especially among blue collar types.

Ruth laughed as the twins looked at him, heads on one side, a mirror image one one another.

"I'll translate for our blue friend here... let's go eat before we starve to death and get a lecture on 'How I feel like Wolverine.  Note to our blue friend... it's 'Terran'... I'll explain later!"  she said sticking just the tip of her tongue out.

"But just for now, suffice to say he found a uniform equally uncomfortable.  Now girls, best pizza joint in town? Surely you'll have sussed that one out by now?"

"Gringos!" the twins said in unison.

"Gringos it is then! Oh and you need to get the records updated, I was on Shran, with Will, very briefly but erm... Uncle Will has a new girlfriend. And if you two decide to start sending hate mail I will have to dock your pocket money and have you grounded forever.  And yeah I'll explain about that on later to you Petty Officer..." she stressed his rank as if to say 'Please, not in front of the kids, I don't want to cry in front of them...'

"Hey Petty Officer Bash..." Arya spoke up. "Do we have to keep calling you that or do you have a name other than that??"

"Oh.. so you know... Arya is the know-it-all with the slight freckle under her left eye and she has dad's blue eyes.  Katya is the rebel and has Mum's green eyes like me.  Otherwise you'd never tell them apart.  Gods help us when they're allowed to wear make up and get contacts!"

Gringo's Pizza and Ice Cream Parlour

Ruth picked up a pizza menu.  "Right we can either go for one 10" each, or go for the 18" and have 2 between us... make up your minds quickly and no changing them 4 times as you normally do, as we have 3 hours only and in that time we have to each, catch up, deposit you back with Mr and Mrs McGregor and also get me and Petty Officer Bash back to the Athena to get out of these and into our normal uniforms ready to be on duty at the right time.  We are already in enough trouble so to speak without inviting more.  And no that isn't open for discussion.  Suffice to say it's worse than when I absconded with a starship with Admiral Brown.  Now, who's having what?"

The twins both opened their mouths to say more then with a thunderous look from Ruth decided against it.

"Can we ask about Will?" said Katya timidly.

"After you've ordered pizza and please confer with Petty Officer Bash... you know what I don't like."

Jules Bash

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on February 10, 2018, 02:01:40 PM

Ruth laughed as the twins looked at him, heads on one side, a mirror image one one another.

"I'll translate for our blue friend here... let's go eat before we starve to death and get a lecture on 'How I feel like Wolverine.  Note to our blue friend... it's 'Terran'... I'll explain later!"  she said sticking just the tip of her tongue out.

"But just for now, suffice to say he found a uniform equally uncomfortable.  Now girls, best pizza joint in town? Surely you'll have sussed that one out by now?"

"Gringos!" the twins said in unison.

"Gringos it is then! Oh and you need to get the records updated, I was on Shran, with Will, very briefly but erm... Uncle Will has a new girlfriend. And if you two decide to start sending hate mail I will have to dock your pocket money and have you grounded forever.  And yeah I'll explain about that on later to you Petty Officer..." she stressed his rank as if to say 'Please, not in front of the kids, I don't want to cry in front of them...'

"Hey Petty Officer Bash..." Arya spoke up. "Do we have to keep calling you that or do you have a name other than that??"

"Oh.. so you know... Arya is the know-it-all with the slight freckle under her left eye and she has dad's blue eyes.  Katya is the rebel and has Mum's green eyes like me.  Otherwise you'd never tell them apart.  Gods help us when they're allowed to wear make up and get contacts!"

Gringo's Pizza and Ice Cream Parlour

Ruth picked up a pizza menu.  "Right we can either go for one 10" each, or go for the 18" and have 2 between us... make up your minds quickly and no changing them 4 times as you normally do, as we have 3 hours only and in that time we have to each, catch up, deposit you back with Mr and Mrs McGregor and also get me and Petty Officer Bash back to the Athena to get out of these and into our normal uniforms ready to be on duty at the right time.  We are already in enough trouble so to speak without inviting more.  And no that isn't open for discussion.  Suffice to say it's worse than when I absconded with a starship with Admiral Brown.  Now, who's having what?"

The twins both opened their mouths to say more then with a thunderous look from Ruth decided against it.

"Can we ask about Will?" said Katya timidly.

"After you've ordered pizza and please confer with Petty Officer Bash... you know what I don't like."

[Classroom]

It'd definitely be a problem once they started using makeup. Jules had latched onto the mentioned freckle difference, and was using that to separate the two of them. Which was difficult when they turned and walked away, leaving just mirror images facing him. Whatever, he could figure it out sometime, or they could deal with it.

Jules totally missed the fact that she was stressing not talking about it now, but Jules wasn't one to pry into history for the most part anyway. Besides, one of them, Arya?, asked about his name. "Jules works too." Just anything besides Cistenthar.

[Gringo's]
To be honest, he only had passing familiarity with most terran food, most of that familiarity gained from his time on Mars. Pizza, however, was commonplace among the crewman after classes, especially when they took to socially gathering. He found earth bacon to his liking, tasting oddly enough like Andorian redbat.

"I don't know why she's leaving everything to me, but I'll take bacon with whatever I'm eating. Two 18" ones is significantly more pizza than four 10" ones if I calculated correctly. Any divisions in flavors can be separated as needed by halves."

Jules wasn't thinking terribly much into the lines of what he would be eating, but glancing at the menu for his beverage. There it was, perfect. He waved the two children off to order, while he took an arm to guide Ruth to the bar. "What's your poison, or do you keep an upstanding, sober image at all times in front of those two?" Jules said, ordering for himself an Andorian Ale, and waiting for her to order before paying for both, since she had decided to provide the food.

"Speaking of which, why avoid telling them what happened? Wasn't anything terribly embarassing, was it? This is the worst they would have done to us, with the Captain quite blankly taking the fault." Jules said, while also glancing around for a table to meet the small ones at. It wasn't very true, they could have punished the away team specifically more harshly, for starting up the entire plan. He had been half worried at already being booted out of Star Fleet, and a possible demotion for Ruth, though he would have fought hard to explain that she had been following his 'orders'. But, it hadn't happened, they were fine albeit in uncomfortable uniforms, and about to drink and eat pizza. No problems at all.

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 10, 2018, 02:28:43 PM

[Classroom]

It'd definitely be a problem once they started using makeup. Jules had latched onto the mentioned freckle difference, and was using that to separate the two of them. Which was difficult when they turned and walked away, leaving just mirror images facing him. Whatever, he could figure it out sometime, or they could deal with it.

Jules totally missed the fact that she was stressing not talking about it now, but Jules wasn't one to pry into history for the most part anyway. Besides, one of them, Arya?, asked about his name. "Jules works too." Just anything besides Cistenthar.

[Gringo's]
To be honest, he only had passing familiarity with most terran food, most of that familiarity gained from his time on Mars. Pizza, however, was commonplace among the crewman after classes, especially when they took to socially gathering. He found earth bacon to his liking, tasting oddly enough like Andorian redbat.

"I don't know why she's leaving everything to me, but I'll take bacon with whatever I'm eating. Two 18" ones is significantly more pizza than four 10" ones if I calculated correctly. Any divisions in flavors can be separated as needed by halves."

Jules wasn't thinking terribly much into the lines of what he would be eating, but glancing at the menu for his beverage. There it was, perfect. He waved the two children off to order, while he took an arm to guide Ruth to the bar. "What's your poison, or do you keep an upstanding, sober image at all times in front of those two?" Jules said, ordering for himself an Andorian Ale, and waiting for her to order before paying for both, since she had decided to provide the food.

"Speaking of which, why avoid telling them what happened? Wasn't anything terribly embarassing, was it? This is the worst they would have done to us, with the Captain quite blankly taking the fault." Jules said, while also glancing around for a table to meet the small ones at. It wasn't very true, they could have punished the away team specifically more harshly, for starting up the entire plan. He had been half worried at already being booted out of Star Fleet, and a possible demotion for Ruth, though he would have fought hard to explain that she had been following his 'orders'. But, it hadn't happened, they were fine albeit in uncomfortable uniforms, and about to drink and eat pizza. No problems at all.

Gringo's

"Hell no, they've seen me drunk out of my face after a gathering before, and no..." she admonished the twins, "... you'll not be imbibing today not even sips.  I'll have one Schanpps - Butterscotch if they have it and a Rootbeer, since I'm on duty later.  And I'm not avoiding telling them about it... just not sure I want to give them ideas."

Both twins whined pleadingly but Ruth just shook her head.  "Nope, I don't want any more trouble, and I remember you Katya last time you pinched an entire bottle of Schnapps then had me cover your illness with Dad... Mum knew better but didn't let on."

She gave Jules a helpless look hoping he got the 'I'm supposed to be a responsible adult, I pretty much broke the Prime Directive, the law most sacred to the Federation...'

Katya's voice broke the reverie  "DOUBLE PEPPERONI!!!! and Ham and Pineapple and Jalapenos and..."

"One choice each Madam.  Jules has said bacon, ham is pretty much like bacon but... there's a bacon one in the meat feast - that has ground beef, peppers, mushrooms, bacon, ham, pepperoni... I'm fine with anything bar anchovies as well you know."

"Can I...please... have Ham, Pineapple and Mushroom?" the timider voice of Arya spoke up.

Ruth sighed.  "OK I'm using Jules's idea here of halves.  How about one whole meat feast, but half with and half without jalapenos, one 50/50 Double pepperoni and ham/pineapple/mushroom.  Then everyone has what they want.  We'll deal with ice cream later!"

"But we have to go to Minchella's for ice cream!!" said Arya quietly hoping that Ruth didn't get annoyed.

"But you said you could get it here!" said Ruth exasperated.

"Well..." whined Katya cajoulingly. "...'here' is a general location..." she grinned wickedly.  "...Oh stop looking like that sis... it's only next door! But I promise the best knickerbocker glories ever or for you double...choc...nut... sundae....!!!"  she drew out the last few words like she wanted to hammer them into Ruth's brain for extra effect knowing what that would do. "Oh and did I mention they do maple pecan ice cream...." she dropped in nonchalantly.

Ruth threw up her hands in mock surrender.

"You win!  Jules, go order the pizzas, we'll have those here then depart to Minchella's for these devine delights we are promised and then if you're good I'll tell you all about what happened with Will and why we're wearing monkey suits.  But you have to be ultra good."

"Sis, we're 13 not 2... we can do good."  Katya said in her 13 going on 40 voice.

"True, I'm aware of your age, I helped Mum deliver you, but there are times you don't act it so... prove to me you are proto-adults today please."  Ruth countered.

She smiled at Jules  "Now you know what they are like.  My turn to say 'Told ya so!'" she giggled.

Jules Bash

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on February 10, 2018, 06:54:55 PM

Gringo's

"Hell no, they've seen me drunk out of my face after a gathering before, and no..." she admonished the twins, "... you'll not be imbibing today not even sips.  I'll have one Schanpps - Butterscotch if they have it and a Rootbeer, since I'm on duty later.  And I'm not avoiding telling them about it... just not sure I want to give them ideas."

Both twins whined pleadingly but Ruth just shook her head.  "Nope, I don't want any more trouble, and I remember you Katya last time you pinched an entire bottle of Schnapps then had me cover your illness with Dad... Mum knew better but didn't let on."

She gave Jules a helpless look hoping he got the 'I'm supposed to be a responsible adult, I pretty much broke the Prime Directive, the law most sacred to the Federation...'

Katya's voice broke the reverie  "DOUBLE PEPPERONI!!!! and Ham and Pineapple and Jalapenos and..."

"One choice each Madam.  Jules has said bacon, ham is pretty much like bacon but... there's a bacon one in the meat feast - that has ground beef, peppers, mushrooms, bacon, ham, pepperoni... I'm fine with anything bar anchovies as well you know."

"Can I...please... have Ham, Pineapple and Mushroom?" the timider voice of Arya spoke up.

Ruth sighed.  "OK I'm using Jules's idea here of halves.  How about one whole meat feast, but half with and half without jalapenos, one 50/50 Double pepperoni and ham/pineapple/mushroom.  Then everyone has what they want.  We'll deal with ice cream later!"

"But we have to go to Minchella's for ice cream!!" said Arya quietly hoping that Ruth didn't get annoyed.

"But you said you could get it here!" said Ruth exasperated.

"Well..." whined Katya cajoulingly. "...'here' is a general location..." she grinned wickedly.  "...Oh stop looking like that sis... it's only next door! But I promise the best knickerbocker glories ever or for you double...choc...nut... sundae....!!!"  she drew out the last few words like she wanted to hammer them into Ruth's brain for extra effect knowing what that would do. "Oh and did I mention they do maple pecan ice cream...." she dropped in nonchalantly.

Ruth threw up her hands in mock surrender.

"You win!  Jules, go order the pizzas, we'll have those here then depart to Minchella's for these devine delights we are promised and then if you're good I'll tell you all about what happened with Will and why we're wearing monkey suits.  But you have to be ultra good."

"Sis, we're 13 not 2... we can do good."  Katya said in her 13 going on 40 voice.

"True, I'm aware of your age, I helped Mum deliver you, but there are times you don't act it so... prove to me you are proto-adults today please."  Ruth countered.

She smiled at Jules  "Now you know what they are like.  My turn to say 'Told ya so!'" she giggled.

Jules nodded as she quite blankly told him so. He went to the counter to order the pizza's, glad for Ruth summerizing the order after the yipping back and forth between her and the small ones that he couldn't keep track of. To be honest, he wasn't even sure what 'half' he had suddenly been given. Back at the academy, they usually ordered a fair number of more plain pizza's for the group of students that were to enjoy the night.

Right, two 18" pizzas, one meat feast, half with hallypenos, half without. Then oen that was half double pepperoni, and half ham/pineapple/mushroom. It took Jules a good 30 seconds to get through the entire order, before getting the drinks. Andorian ale, a fantastic glowy blue drink for the blue man. Then a butterscott Snap, and a rootbeer. Those came out within a few minutes as he watched Ruth and the twins sit at a table.

Carefully holding the Snap and the rootbeer in one hand, his drink in the other, he took it to the table they were seated at, and unceremoniously dropped himself into a seat, his now free hand unbuttoning the collar of his dress uniform. He was glad that she was giggling, apparently happy to be with the small ones. Jules himself wasn't sure what he thought of them. About as high maintenance as Andorians, but weren't exhausted as easily most likely.

Jules himself wasn't a large connoisseur of food. The high metabolism of Andorians, and his general tendancy to tunnel vision on work, meant that he ate throughout the day as he wanted. Tuber root, spice bread, red bat, the occasional krill steak. Basic foods native to his home planet, easily acquired. Andorian ale to wash it down and for social occasions. The one preference he had for food was for the real thing when it came to his native foods. Something about the replicator just couldn't quite match a home bakery loaf of spice bread. But, terran and other species foods that he had come to learn bits and pieces about, without the actual food as a comparison, seemed fine coming out of the replicator.

"So, 13 huh? What are your plans for work?" Seemed a natural question to Jules. He had started early with the Andorian Corp just before his 16th birthday, mainly as a 'gopher', or runner for materials, paperwork, etc. Before that, he had spent some time on a transport freighter two of his parents served on.

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 11, 2018, 09:50:14 AM

Jules nodded as she quite blankly told him so. He went to the counter to order the pizza's, glad for Ruth summerizing the order after the yipping back and forth between her and the small ones that he couldn't keep track of. To be honest, he wasn't even sure what 'half' he had suddenly been given. Back at the academy, they usually ordered a fair number of more plain pizza's for the group of students that were to enjoy the night.

Right, two 18" pizzas, one meat feast, half with hallypenos, half without. Then oen that was half double pepperoni, and half ham/pineapple/mushroom. It took Jules a good 30 seconds to get through the entire order, before getting the drinks. Andorian ale, a fantastic glowy blue drink for the blue man. Then a butterscott Snap, and a rootbeer. Those came out within a few minutes as he watched Ruth and the twins sit at a table.

Carefully holding the Snap and the rootbeer in one hand, his drink in the other, he took it to the table they were seated at, and unceremoniously dropped himself into a seat, his now free hand unbuttoning the collar of his dress uniform. He was glad that she was giggling, apparently happy to be with the small ones. Jules himself wasn't sure what he thought of them. About as high maintenance as Andorians, but weren't exhausted as easily most likely.

Jules himself wasn't a large connoisseur of food. The high metabolism of Andorians, and his general tendancy to tunnel vision on work, meant that he ate throughout the day as he wanted. Tuber root, spice bread, red bat, the occasional krill steak. Basic foods native to his home planet, easily acquired. Andorian ale to wash it down and for social occasions. The one preference he had for food was for the real thing when it came to his native foods. Something about the replicator just couldn't quite match a home bakery loaf of spice bread. But, terran and other species foods that he had come to learn bits and pieces about, without the actual food as a comparison, seemed fine coming out of the replicator.

"So, 13 huh? What are your plans for work?" Seemed a natural question to Jules. He had started early with the Andorian Corp just before his 16th birthday, mainly as a 'gopher', or runner for materials, paperwork, etc. Before that, he had spent some time on a transport freighter two of his parents served on.

[Gringo's

Mouth full of pizza Katya uttered one word "Fweeth!"

Ruth looked at her incredulously.  "Katya Olga Sigurdsdottir, our mother would be ashamed of you.  Not that you want to join the Fleet, she'd be a little upset with you, same as she was with me but then burst with pride the minute you made it through the Academy but speaking with your mouth full, and in front of a guest!"

"Sorry... " Katya swallowed.  "I meant Fleet as Ruth guessed.  I think probably Security as I like shooting people... ah things!" she finished with a wink.  "But Ruth'll say we're too young yet."

"Well you are a bit, but laudible that you're actually thinking ahead for once." her big sister replied.

Arya spoke up "Well it's cuz... " she took a deep breath, eyes starting to brim with tears which she dashed away, then said it all quickly.  "Cuz of Mum, Dad and Wolfie... we know we'll be safe in the Fleet.  Tho I want to stay on base and be a teacher, but we can't go back there with the fat git next door leering at us all the time."

Ruth rolled her eyes, this wasn't the impression she wanted to give Jules but she owed him an explanation.

"OK, Jules, I'll bring you up to speed while these two inhale a bit more pizza..." she took a small bite of pizza, chewed it thoughtfully, swallowed the Schnapps in one for Dutch courage and then continued.

"I used to be Commander Sigurdsdottir, XO of the Tempest under she who is now Admiral Rellek. I was suddenly called back to Earth to attend to my sisters following the death of both my parents and older brother - that's the 'Wolfie' Arya mentioned, it's all we call him... in a motor accident.  'The git next door' is our neighbour, the same that I ran away and joined the Fleet because of some 4 years ago because my father forbid me to marry my boyfriend at the time and was forcing me to marry the fat lump next door so that our farmsteads could in time be joined."

She took a drink of her root beer and carried on.

"I had to settle the affairs and well... this bit is for you two both to listen to as well girls, since it's the Will part."

She got nods and wide interested eyes but the mouths were still stuffing pizza and swilling it down with soda like little eating machines.

"Now I was once the girlfriend of one William Quentin..."

"QUENTIN!!" ejaculated Katya, spluttering half eaten pizza across a passing waiter.  Ruth and Katya apologised as Ruth wiped him down.

"Yes, Quentin...William Quentin Waring, an Ops Chief now on board the USS Shran.  We always said that the only way that we would never have communication, the only way we'd give up on loving each other..."

Arya and Katya looked at each other, started giggling, then clasping hands in a sort of praying position and putting them unter their ears head on one side, fluttering eyelashes and sighing dramatically first made "Oh so romantic..." and then "Op, Plop, pass the mop...and puke bucket." sounds.  Ruth looked disapprovingly at them.

"Do you want to know this or not?"  she got emphatic nods, even while they still giggled but were otherwise quiet.

"Well, I'd left in rather a hurry, to make sure the girls were safe, not that I'm sure they deserved that..." she gave them a mock stern look, "...and to ah...deal with the funeral arrangements.  When I finally had a minute to myself, I wrote to Will to let him know what was what.  We didn't have a commlink in the farm, it had to be written like an old fashioned telegram and taken to the nearest commlink post and sent on behalf of me.  With one thing and another I couldn't be in 3 places at once looking after the girls, trying to get some decent tenants to tend the farm and then trying to go to the outpost... something had to give."

Ruth took another bite of pizza to show willing but she really felt too sick to eat now.

"So... when the gentleman next door offered to take any messages to the commlink post for me I was grateful and wrote to Will, and a couple of other people.  Now as time went on I got messages back from the others that I wrote to, but not from Will.  I thought nothing of it since he was always busy and I know how it is when you're in space and on duty."

She took a drink, to moisten her mouth and felt under the table with a free hand, looking for one of Jules's, she placed it on his knee and squeezed hoping for some support.

Taking a deep breath she continued.

"When I'd got everything sorted, tenants found and a foster family to look after the girls on Columbus while they finished their schooling, but it was easier for me to visit like this rather than hareing back to Earth every time one of them grazed themselves, I went to the commlink post myself and requested a return to duty, requesting that I be placed on a ship with Commander Waring."

She took a steadying breath and chewed her bottom lip to stop herself from crying.

"I was accepted with a rank reduction to Lieutenant, I would do anything to be back with Will.  However, it transpired that on the day that I'd left, he was going to propose to me..."

"Ooooh where's the ring, show us, show us!" Arya squealed, ever the one for pretty things.

"Sorry Arya, there's no ring.  He was going to propose to me, but I wasn't there, I was looking after you which is far more important, or least I was en route to come to look after you."

"But... didn't he wait?" said Arya, shocked.

"He did, for a while, but remember what I said about 'the only way we'd stop loving is if we were dead...' well, my messages hadn't been getting to Will.  Samuelsson next door had sent the others but was still playing to get me to marry him and was dispatchin all other messages but not the ones for Will.  So Will thought I was dead and his affections lie elsewhere now.  And she's a lovely lass, she was my departmental head for a while.  It was funny cuz I'm 10 years her senior but we parted friends at least!  That was one good thing to come of it.  But when I first stepped onto that Bridge and Will saw me ... he nearly had a heart attack and passed out.  So I was recommended to be transferred and that's how I ended up on the Athena, and met Jules."

She toasted Jules with her Root Beer.

"Can you tell them about Vindii Prime and why we are wearing these bloody awful uncomfortable uniforms please while I get somethingto eat before these vultures have my share too!" she laughed trying to hide the tears she was sure Jules would pick up on.  Hopefully the girls wouldn't, she didn't want to ruin their day.

Jules Bash

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on February 12, 2018, 07:24:19 PM

[Gringo's

Mouth full of pizza Katya uttered one word "Fweeth!"

Ruth looked at her incredulously.  "Katya Olga Sigurdsdottir, our mother would be ashamed of you.  Not that you want to join the Fleet, she'd be a little upset with you, same as she was with me but then burst with pride the minute you made it through the Academy but speaking with your mouth full, and in front of a guest!"

"Sorry... " Katya swallowed.  "I meant Fleet as Ruth guessed.  I think probably Security as I like shooting people... ah things!" she finished with a wink.  "But Ruth'll say we're too young yet."

Arya spoke up "Well it's cuz... " she took a deep breath, eyes starting to brim with tears which she dashed away, then said it all quickly.  "Cuz of Mum, Dad and Wolfie... we know we'll be safe in the Fleet.  Tho I want to stay on base and be a teacher, but we can't go back there with the fat git next door leering at us all the time."

Jules thought he rather liked Katya. Impulsive, decisive, aggressive, but with a dash of humor. Though she would need to learn to curb herself from saying EVERY thought in her mind, especially if she became a dreaded officer. Though, between her attitude, and Ruth as an example, she may not be that bad of an officer. Ruth was correct in that Arya was the quieter, more introspective of the two. But, she had good ambitions already, and at least understood her own reasoning for why.

"Well you are a bit, but laudible that you're actually thinking ahead for once." her big sister replied.
Ruth rolled her eyes, this wasn't the impression she wanted to give Jules but she owed him an explanation.

"OK, Jules, I'll bring you up to speed while these two inhale a bit more pizza..." she took a small bite of pizza, chewed it thoughtfully, swallowed the Schnapps in one for Dutch courage and then continued.

"I used to be Commander Sigurdsdottir, XO of the Tempest under she who is now Admiral Rellek. I was suddenly called back to Earth to attend to my sisters following the death of both my parents and older brother - that's the 'Wolfie' Arya mentioned, it's all we call him... in a motor accident.  'The git next door' is our neighbour, the same that I ran away and joined the Fleet because of some 4 years ago because my father forbid me to marry my boyfriend at the time and was forcing me to marry the fat lump next door so that our farmsteads could in time be joined."

She took a drink of her root beer and carried on.

"I had to settle the affairs and well... this bit is for you two both to listen to as well girls, since it's the Will part."

She got nods and wide interested eyes but the mouths were still stuffing pizza and swilling it down with soda like little eating machines.

"Now I was once the girlfriend of one William Quentin..."

"QUENTIN!!" ejaculated Katya, spluttering half eaten pizza across a passing waiter.  Ruth and Katya apologised as Ruth wiped him down.

"Yes, Quentin...William Quentin Waring, an Ops Chief now on board the USS Shran.  We always said that the only way that we would never have communication, the only way we'd give up on loving each other..."

Arya and Katya looked at each other, started giggling, then clasping hands in a sort of praying position and putting them unter their ears head on one side, fluttering eyelashes and sighing dramatically first made "Oh so romantic..." and then "Op, Plop, pass the mop...and puke bucket." sounds.  Ruth looked disapprovingly at them.

Jules was somewhat inclined to agree with the twins, though he knew they wouldn't understand just how important sentiment was in a relationship. But, a previous XO? He was surprised that Ruth was as loose and free flowing as she was. Then again, maybe she was that way because she wasn't an XO anymore. It did explain why she got overwhelmed though, always trying to pick the right move. However, her history did explain quite a bit. Having to pick up sudden responsibility for family, dealing with harassment but being strong enough to move out from under it.

"Do you want to know this or not?"  she got emphatic nods, even while they still giggled but were otherwise quiet.

"Well, I'd left in rather a hurry, to make sure the girls were safe, not that I'm sure they deserved that..." she gave them a mock stern look, "...and to ah...deal with the funeral arrangements.  When I finally had a minute to myself, I wrote to Will to let him know what was what.  We didn't have a commlink in the farm, it had to be written like an old fashioned telegram and taken to the nearest commlink post and sent on behalf of me.  With one thing and another I couldn't be in 3 places at once looking after the girls, trying to get some decent tenants to tend the farm and then trying to go to the outpost... something had to give."

Ruth took another bite of pizza to show willing but she really felt too sick to eat now.

"So... when the gentleman next door offered to take any messages to the commlink post for me I was grateful and wrote to Will, and a couple of other people.  Now as time went on I got messages back from the others that I wrote to, but not from Will.  I thought nothing of it since he was always busy and I know how it is when you're in space and on duty."

She took a drink, to moisten her mouth and felt under the table with a free hand, looking for one of Jules's, she placed it on his knee and squeezed hoping for some support.

As she finished explaining the arrangement, Jules already guessed the end result. When you label someone as 'the git next door', you don't trust him ever. Jules felt her hand slide under the table onto his leg. He reached a hand down to grab hers, squeezing gently for comfort. From what he could tell just in the way her speech had changed, they were getting to the part where it all went even more wrong for her.

Taking a deep breath she continued.

"When I'd got everything sorted, tenants found and a foster family to look after the girls on Columbus while they finished their schooling, but it was easier for me to visit like this rather than hareing back to Earth every time one of them grazed themselves, I went to the commlink post myself and requested a return to duty, requesting that I be placed on a ship with Commander Waring."

She took a steadying breath and chewed her bottom lip to stop herself from crying.

"I was accepted with a rank reduction to Lieutenant, I would do anything to be back with Will.  However, it transpired that on the day that I'd left, he was going to propose to me..."

"Ooooh where's the ring, show us, show us!" Arya squealed, ever the one for pretty things.

Surprisingly, it was Arya who jumped the gun. They both were at least somewhat impulsive apparently. He wondered if Katya had guessed where this story was going to go or not. But Arya at least was a very nice, very sweet, very naive little girl. He wondered if she would still want to be a teacher when she became less naive about the ways of the world.

"Sorry Arya, there's no ring.  He was going to propose to me, but I wasn't there, I was looking after you which is far more important, or least I was en route to come to look after you."

"But... didn't he wait?" said Arya, shocked.

"He did, for a while, but remember what I said about 'the only way we'd stop loving is if we were dead...' well, my messages hadn't been getting to Will.  Samuelsson next door had sent the others but was still playing to get me to marry him and was dispatchin all other messages but not the ones for Will.  So Will thought I was dead and his affections lie elsewhere now.  And she's a lovely lass, she was my departmental head for a while.  It was funny cuz I'm 10 years her senior but we parted friends at least!  That was one good thing to come of it.  But when I first stepped onto that Bridge and Will saw me ... he nearly had a heart attack and passed out.  So I was recommended to be transferred and that's how I ended up on the Athena, and met Jules."

She toasted Jules with her Root Beer.

Jules toasted her with his Andorian Ale, which he'd been slowly drinking between pizza slices. He was finding that he quite liked something on the pizza, though he wasn't sure what was what exactly, and he didn't care to ask. But it wasn't just the bacon/ham. But, now he knew the story behind her, and why she needed so much emotional comfort. Well, he didn't really have any better offers available, and he needed to get out of his comfort zone. It was a way, and so far, a very enjoyable way.

"Can you tell them about Vindii Prime and why we are wearing these bloody awful uncomfortable uniforms please while I get somethingto eat before these vultures have my share too!" she laughed trying to hide the tears she was sure Jules would pick up on.  Hopefully the girls wouldn't, she didn't want to ruin their day.

Jules was mid bite as she asked him to explain their latest escapade. He nodded as he chewed through the food, and washed it down once. He noticed not just her tears, but the subtle shaking and tremors through her. Then again, he could feel most of them through her hand that he'd been holding the entire time. He gave it a subtle squeeze while staring down his two attentive listeners.

"Vendii Prime. Backwater planet, somewhere in the industrialization phase I think. Anyway, Captain get's a call, we're to report to Vendii Prime, and deal with the Last Directive group there." Jules said, starting them off. He put up a hand to slow down the inevitable 'What's the Last Directive?' question, and took another bite of pizza. There were priorities.

"Last Directive is a 'terror' group, but mostly they do humanitarian work. Just, they do it where they aren't supposed to, like Vendii Prime. Prime Directive says we do nothing to worlds that haven't joined the great space race, helping or hindering. This planet was getting roasted by the sun, radiation damage. Last Directive jumped in a few weeks back apparently, building protective biomes, and a hospital. Started dishing out other technology, mostly for buildings and such." He took a drink of ale, and let his antennae curl in slightly to emphasize the next part of the story.

"So, we got a planet that's dying, a terror group that's saving it, and us, who are supposed to remove the terror group so the planet can do whatever the planet is supposed to do. This, of course, makes the lovely crew a little upset, starting with Ozu, another engineer, in a discussion with Ruth and I about how to remove the stuff. Our secret treasure trove of a ships cook jumped in, gave us some info on how to repair the planet. Later on I heard that same cook, Ash, threw a fit on the bridge about how we need to save the planet." Jules waved down their variety of questions and comments.

"Shush till the end. My story time. So, Ruth, the Captain, and I, along with like 3 gruffer security types, go down to the planet, presumably to remove the biome and the hospital. We get about half of the way there, all of a sudden, the Captain starts asking us questions about if we are doing the right thing. Two minutes later, Captain starts a shipwide vote on whether we save the planet, or let it burn. Most of the crew votes to save the planet. I knew that if we let this planet die, a lot of people would be upset, like Ozu, Ash, Ruth, the Captain. But, now we had to figure out what to do, how to save the planet." Jules slowed down for a second to actually get to finish his current slice of pizza.

"We didn't know, but by this point, the Athena had already captured the Last Directive's ship in space. So that was taken care of. But, we still had to come up with a way to save the planet. So you know what I did?" Jules leaned in, like it was a confidential secret. He rolled his eyes up as if looking at his antennae.

"I had to make my antennae touch, like this." Jules let the ends of his antennae come close together, but not quite touch. "When I do that, it lets my brain speed up like a motor through my antennae. So then of course, I came up with the perfect plan. We shot out a few probes around the planet that shot lasers at the sun, which weakened the radiation, thereby saving the planet." Total bull, of course, but they didn't need to know that. He HAD come up with the idea to use probes, it was just how to actually use them that he hadn't bothered to think of. That's why the other three had come up with it. But he was the one telling the story, so he got to say what he wanted. He could almost feel Ruth's outrage at his new version of the story.

"But, we had broken the rule of saving a planet that wasn't up to snuff, so we got to go to court where they slapped us all on the wrist, on our record. And to get slapped on the wrist, Star Fleet likes you to wear fancy... was it 'monkey'?... suits." Jules said, leaning back and taking a nice drink of his ale in triumph over the astounding story.

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 15, 2018, 09:11:05 AM

Jules thought he rather liked Katya. Impulsive, decisive, aggressive, but with a dash of humor. Though she would need to learn to curb herself from saying EVERY thought in her mind, especially if she became a dreaded officer. Though, between her attitude, and Ruth as an example, she may not be that bad of an officer. Ruth was correct in that Arya was the quieter, more introspective of the two. But, she had good ambitions already, and at least understood her own reasoning for why.

Jules was somewhat inclined to agree with the twins, though he knew they wouldn't understand just how important sentiment was in a relationship. But, a previous XO? He was surprised that Ruth was as loose and free flowing as she was. Then again, maybe she was that way because she wasn't an XO anymore. It did explain why she got overwhelmed though, always trying to pick the right move. However, her history did explain quite a bit. Having to pick up sudden responsibility for family, dealing with harassment but being strong enough to move out from under it.

As she finished explaining the arrangement, Jules already guessed the end result. When you label someone as 'the git next door', you don't trust him ever. Jules felt her hand slide under the table onto his leg. He reached a hand down to grab hers, squeezing gently for comfort. From what he could tell just in the way her speech had changed, they were getting to the part where it all went even more wrong for her.

Surprisingly, it was Arya who jumped the gun. They both were at least somewhat impulsive apparently. He wondered if Katya had guessed where this story was going to go or not. But Arya at least was a very nice, very sweet, very naive little girl. He wondered if she would still want to be a teacher when she became less naive about the ways of the world.

Jules toasted her with his Andorian Ale, which he'd been slowly drinking between pizza slices. He was finding that he quite liked something on the pizza, though he wasn't sure what was what exactly, and he didn't care to ask. But it wasn't just the bacon/ham. But, now he knew the story behind her, and why she needed so much emotional comfort. Well, he didn't really have any better offers available, and he needed to get out of his comfort zone. It was a way, and so far, a very enjoyable way.

Jules was mid bite as she asked him to explain their latest escapade. He nodded as he chewed through the food, and washed it down once. He noticed not just her tears, but the subtle shaking and tremors through her. Then again, he could feel most of them through her hand that he'd been holding the entire time. He gave it a subtle squeeze while staring down his two attentive listeners.

"Vendii Prime. Backwater planet, somewhere in the industrialization phase I think. Anyway, Captain get's a call, we're to report to Vendii Prime, and deal with the Last Directive group there." Jules said, starting them off. He put up a hand to slow down the inevitable 'What's the Last Directive?' question, and took another bite of pizza. There were priorities.

"Last Directive is a 'terror' group, but mostly they do humanitarian work. Just, they do it where they aren't supposed to, like Vendii Prime. Prime Directive says we do nothing to worlds that haven't joined the great space race, helping or hindering. This planet was getting roasted by the sun, radiation damage. Last Directive jumped in a few weeks back apparently, building protective biomes, and a hospital. Started dishing out other technology, mostly for buildings and such." He took a drink of ale, and let his antennae curl in slightly to emphasize the next part of the story.

"So, we got a planet that's dying, a terror group that's saving it, and us, who are supposed to remove the terror group so the planet can do whatever the planet is supposed to do. This, of course, makes the lovely crew a little upset, starting with Ozu, another engineer, in a discussion with Ruth and I about how to remove the stuff. Our secret treasure trove of a ships cook jumped in, gave us some info on how to repair the planet. Later on I heard that same cook, Ash, threw a fit on the bridge about how we need to save the planet." Jules waved down their variety of questions and comments.

"Shush till the end. My story time. So, Ruth, the Captain, and I, along with like 3 gruffer security types, go down to the planet, presumably to remove the biome and the hospital. We get about half of the way there, all of a sudden, the Captain starts asking us questions about if we are doing the right thing. Two minutes later, Captain starts a shipwide vote on whether we save the planet, or let it burn. Most of the crew votes to save the planet. I knew that if we let this planet die, a lot of people would be upset, like Ozu, Ash, Ruth, the Captain. But, now we had to figure out what to do, how to save the planet." Jules slowed down for a second to actually get to finish his current slice of pizza.

"We didn't know, but by this point, the Athena had already captured the Last Directive's ship in space. So that was taken care of. But, we still had to come up with a way to save the planet. So you know what I did?" Jules leaned in, like it was a confidential secret. He rolled his eyes up as if looking at his antennae.

"I had to make my antennae touch, like this." Jules let the ends of his antennae come close together, but not quite touch. "When I do that, it lets my brain speed up like a motor through my antennae. So then of course, I came up with the perfect plan. We shot out a few probes around the planet that shot lasers at the sun, which weakened the radiation, thereby saving the planet." Total bull, of course, but they didn't need to know that. He HAD come up with the idea to use probes, it was just how to actually use them that he hadn't bothered to think of. That's why the other three had come up with it. But he was the one telling the story, so he got to say what he wanted. He could almost feel Ruth's outrage at his new version of the story.

"But, we had broken the rule of saving a planet that wasn't up to snuff, so we got to go to court where they slapped us all on the wrist, on our record. And to get slapped on the wrist, Star Fleet likes you to wear fancy... was it 'monkey'?... suits." Jules said, leaning back and taking a nice drink of his ale in triumph over the astounding story.

Ruth weighed up the possibilities, and decided, in the circumstances that Jules's 'artistic licence' with part of the story didn't really count as lying to the twins and it would be more complicated to actually tell them the absolute truth.  He'd get the main story across, even managed to get the twins to shut up... and they'd obeyed.. for 10 mins while he told the whole story. What was even more amazing was that the silence wasn't because they were eating her half of pizza!

"Yeah, Monkey suits!"  Katya said giggling.  "I think, Ruth can correct me if necessary..."

Ruth's eyebrows shot up... Katya saying that she could be corrected... that was a first.  Jules obviously had made some impression on her!

"...but I think it's because there was some theory that Terran Man was descended from the apes and... I don't know what the proper word is... Auntie Hrafn could tell me... it's when you sort of stretch the truth by the extension of an idea..."

"Conflagration I think you mean..." Ruth interjected.

"Yeah that..." Katya said.  "A conflagration of ideas because apes and monkeys and gorillas all look... if you squint and aren't too intelligent..." she giggled reaching for a slice of Ruth's part of the pizza and getting a gentle tap on the wrist.

"I have to eat too you know, it's hard work being a Science Officer, Katya!" she giggled, then relented and broke off half the slice for her and gave half a slice extra to Arya.  "OK OK I know teenagers have hollow legs!"

"As I was saying... silly people think that monkeys and the likes are all the same, and men are decended from them hence 'monkey suit' and monkeys were used as entertainment and made to dress up for advertisements, that might be something to do with it too... you know dressing up like you're in fancy dress.  You look smart, but you two look so uncomfortable in them 'stuffed shirts' might be a better term... starched ones at that!" she giggled.

Arya had been looking pensive and finally put her thoughts into words.

"Jules...?  Does that really work with your antennae?  I'm asking cuz we're doing about Andorrians in 'Species and Anthropology' next term so if I meet anyone that isn't human, I try to learn as much as they're willing to impart and.... Ruth please don't think I'm being forward or anything, if you had time would you let me communicate with you on an irregular basis and ask you things about that?  Maybe your colleague Ozu I think you said her name was, might be agreeable, I don't know what species she is..."

"Bajoran cross Vulcan unless I'm mistaken..." Ruth interjected.  "And I'll ask her, she's a very nice girl she might be willing."

"Thanks, "  Arya brightened.  "I think if I joined the Fleet rather than being a teacher it would be as an anthropologist.  I love science but I couldn't do what Ruth does I'm not into stellar stuff and I can just about get around Earth languages but couldn't be a Xenolinguist like Auntie Hrafn.  I'm more what would be termed on Earth a biologist.  Or least that's what interests me more.  Are you finished Ruth, can we go get ice cream now??!"

Ruth grinned.  "Let me finish this pizz... " she started when two hands reached out and snaffled the last 2 bits of pizza  "Good job I need to leave room for my ice cream, eh Jules?!  Looks like 2nd course is coming out of these miscreants pocket money!!" she teased.

OK she said as she was dragged out of her seat by Katya, Arya went and offered her hand to Jules.

Figuring she didn't want to draw any more attention to the fact that she and Jules were friendly, knowing exactly what the girls would make of it, she gave his hand a squeeze and released it flashing him a grateful look, and thus allowing and surrendering him to his younger escort.

"Lead on MacDuff!" she called "Make mine a choc nut sundae with extra nuts!"

"You don't need extra nuts you're nutty enough without!"  Katya giggled and darted off ahead walking backwards and bumping into the same poor waiter as before, who good naturedly since he wasn't carrying anything just laughed, helped her off the floor and gave Ruth a grin, which on the features of a predominantly Vulcan face, was slighty strange.

[Minchella's Ice Cream Parlour]
In due course they found themselves outside on the Promenade, and two doors down with green, white and red striped awnings was Minchella's Ice Cream Parlour.

"We'll have to be quick here girls as we have about an hour left to have ice cream, get you back, get us back to the ship... and changed before our shifts.  So, no arguements, I want a choc nut sundae, make your minds up pronto and Jules..." she passed him the menu. "...be decisive!  Hopefully you don't suffer from sensitive teeth like I do, so eating won't be too bad.  I'm only having a small serving of ice cream and doubling up on the sauce and nuts... so probably the same in calories... you'll have to chase me around the holodeck with your what was it that thing was called... your blade!?!  ... to work this pizza and ice cream off.  I don't want to get fat!"

"Supersized Knickerbocker Glories!!!" the girls pleaded, Arya's reasoning was sound as she explained.  "We only ever have fresh fruit and yoghurt with Mrs McGinnis... she's nice but we don't even get rice pudding or anything so we're making the most of this!  Don't get us wrong she's lovely... just..." she put on her best Scottish accent and imitated her foster carer.  "It's guid wholesome food is best for growin' lassies, ye ken!"

Ruth stood and waited for Jules' order but chuckled to herself.  That sounded like Mrs McGinnis.  A lovely woman if somewhat strict but Katya needed that firm hand to keep her steady.

Jules Bash

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on February 15, 2018, 11:38:03 AM

Ruth weighed up the possibilities, and decided, in the circumstances that Jules's 'artistic licence' with part of the story didn't really count as lying to the twins and it would be more complicated to actually tell them the absolute truth.  He'd get the main story across, even managed to get the twins to shut up... and they'd obeyed.. for 10 mins while he told the whole story. What was even more amazing was that the silence wasn't because they were eating her half of pizza!

"Yeah, Monkey suits!"  Katya said giggling.  "I think, Ruth can correct me if necessary..."

Ruth's eyebrows shot up... Katya saying that she could be corrected... that was a first.  Jules obviously had made some impression on her!

"...but I think it's because there was some theory that Terran Man was descended from the apes and... I don't know what the proper word is... Auntie Hrafn could tell me... it's when you sort of stretch the truth by the extension of an idea..."

"Conflagration I think you mean..." Ruth interjected.

"Yeah that..." Katya said.  "A conflagration of ideas because apes and monkeys and gorillas all look... if you squint and aren't too intelligent..." she giggled reaching for a slice of Ruth's part of the pizza and getting a gentle tap on the wrist.

"I have to eat too you know, it's hard work being a Science Officer, Katya!" she giggled, then relented and broke off half the slice for her and gave half a slice extra to Arya.  "OK OK I know teenagers have hollow legs!"

"As I was saying... silly people think that monkeys and the likes are all the same, and men are decended from them hence 'monkey suit' and monkeys were used as entertainment and made to dress up for advertisements, that might be something to do with it too... you know dressing up like you're in fancy dress.  You look smart, but you two look so uncomfortable in them 'stuffed shirts' might be a better term... starched ones at that!" she giggled.

Arya had been looking pensive and finally put her thoughts into words.

"Jules...?  Does that really work with your antennae?  I'm asking cuz we're doing about Andorrians in 'Species and Anthropology' next term so if I meet anyone that isn't human, I try to learn as much as they're willing to impart and.... Ruth please don't think I'm being forward or anything, if you had time would you let me communicate with you on an irregular basis and ask you things about that?  Maybe your colleague Ozu I think you said her name was, might be agreeable, I don't know what species she is..."

"Bajoran cross Vulcan unless I'm mistaken..." Ruth interjected.  "And I'll ask her, she's a very nice girl she might be willing."

"Thanks, "  Arya brightened.  "I think if I joined the Fleet rather than being a teacher it would be as an anthropologist.  I love science but I couldn't do what Ruth does I'm not into stellar stuff and I can just about get around Earth languages but couldn't be a Xenolinguist like Auntie Hrafn.  I'm more what would be termed on Earth a biologist.  Or least that's what interests me more.  Are you finished Ruth, can we go get ice cream now??!"

Ruth grinned.  "Let me finish this pizz... " she started when two hands reached out and snaffled the last 2 bits of pizza  "Good job I need to leave room for my ice cream, eh Jules?!  Looks like 2nd course is coming out of these miscreants pocket money!!" she teased.

OK she said as she was dragged out of her seat by Katya, Arya went and offered her hand to Jules.

Figuring she didn't want to draw any more attention to the fact that she and Jules were friendly, knowing exactly what the girls would make of it, she gave his hand a squeeze and released it flashing him a grateful look, and thus allowing and surrendering him to his younger escort.

"Lead on MacDuff!" she called "Make mine a choc nut sundae with extra nuts!"

"You don't need extra nuts you're nutty enough without!"  Katya giggled and darted off ahead walking backwards and bumping into the same poor waiter as before, who good naturedly since he wasn't carrying anything just laughed, helped her off the floor and gave Ruth a grin, which on the features of a predominantly Vulcan face, was slighty strange.

In due course they found themselves outside on the Promenade, and two doors down with green, white and red striped awnings was Minchella's Ice Cream Parlour.

"We'll have to be quick here girls as we have about an hour left to have ice cream, get you back, get us back to the ship... and changed before our shifts.  So, no arguements, I want a choc nut sundae, make your minds up pronto and Jules..." she passed him the menu. "...be decisive!  Hopefully you don't suffer from sensitive teeth like I do, so eating won't be too bad.  I'm only having a small serving of ice cream and doubling up on the sauce and nuts... so probably the same in calories... you'll have to chase me around the holodeck with your what was it that thing was called... your blade!?!  ... to work this pizza and ice cream off.  I don't want to get fat!"

"Supersized Knickerbocker Glories!!!" the girls pleaded, Arya's reasoning was sound as she explained.  "We only ever have fresh fruit and yoghurt with Mrs McGinnis... she's nice but we don't even get rice pudding or anything so we're making the most of this!  Don't get us wrong she's lovely... just..." she put on her best Scottish accent and imitated her foster carer.  "It's guid wholesome food is best for growin' lassies, ye ken!"

Ruth stood and waited for Jules' order but chuckled to herself.  That sounded like Mrs McGinnis.  A lovely woman if somewhat strict but Katya needed that firm hand to keep her steady.

Ruth really did seem like a different person around the twins. He thought there was something to be said about you become how you act. Ruth spent a fair amount of time dealing with all sorts of troubles and worries and plans. But for the twins? She had to pretend she wasn't so weighed down. Maybe she was even forgetting about some of them for a few short minutes. It was good to see.

Jules shook his head at Arya. "Nah. I wish it did. They are just typical antennae, able to feel temperature, wind, vibrations including some sound waves and some outside of human hearing. But yes, feel free to communicate whenever."

"As for creation from monkeys, you humans are quite strange. Andorians have our own version of creation, by a powerful and revered being. Don't bother asking his name, its unpronounceable." Jules said, as he reached out a hand to stop Katya. To late. Definitely an impulsive girl, she had crashed into the waiter again. At least her weight wasn't enough to cause injury of the poor man. He put his hand down as the waiter put her back on her feet and they made their way to the next destination.

Jules watched as the moving energy phenomona known as the Sigurdsdottir's made their way into the Parlour. It was bright, and candy themed in design. Jules wasn't sure he liked it. He liked bright colors, but was more into blues and grays.

"Ushaan-tor. You still owe me that fight on the holodeck. And I'll have a waffle cone with 2 scoops of peppermint ice cream, and whipped cream." Jules said, giving the order to the man behind the counter. He liked ice cream, it being an Earth dish that Andorians had come to enjoy due to its cool nature, and creamy taste.

"Then just start ordering alien desserts. Say it's part of your Anthropology class. She can't complain then. You might even find one you like. Mix in a few other foods just for the sake of the cover. I recommend spice bread."

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 24, 2018, 01:18:48 PM

Ruth really did seem like a different person around the twins. He thought there was something to be said about you become how you act. Ruth spent a fair amount of time dealing with all sorts of troubles and worries and plans. But for the twins? She had to pretend she wasn't so weighed down. Maybe she was even forgetting about some of them for a few short minutes. It was good to see.

Jules shook his head at Arya. "Nah. I wish it did. They are just typical antennae, able to feel temperature, wind, vibrations including some sound waves and some outside of human hearing. But yes, feel free to communicate whenever."

"As for creation from monkeys, you humans are quite strange. Andorians have our own version of creation, by a powerful and revered being. Don't bother asking his name, its unpronounceable." Jules said, as he reached out a hand to stop Katya. To late. Definitely an impulsive girl, she had crashed into the waiter again. At least her weight wasn't enough to cause injury of the poor man. He put his hand down as the waiter put her back on her feet and they made their way to the next destination.

Jules watched as the moving energy phenomona known as the Sigurdsdottir's made their way into the Parlour. It was bright, and candy themed in design. Jules wasn't sure he liked it. He liked bright colors, but was more into blues and grays.

"Ushaan-tor. You still owe me that fight on the holodeck. And I'll have a waffle cone with 2 scoops of peppermint ice cream, and whipped cream." Jules said, giving the order to the man behind the counter. He liked ice cream, it being an Earth dish that Andorians had come to enjoy due to its cool nature, and creamy taste.

"Then just start ordering alien desserts. Say it's part of your Anthropology class. She can't complain then. You might even find one you like. Mix in a few other foods just for the sake of the cover. I recommend spice bread."

Minchella's

The twins looked at each other then in unison said to Ruth "Can we keep him? He's fun!"

Ruth laughed.  "Well I dunno...." she answered winking at Jules. "Yeah two super sized knickerbocker glories, one small choc nut sundae with extra nuts..." she said to the attendant.  "...that one's for me, too much running around fighting off a hot Andorian with an Ushaan-tor..." she said in a whisper to Jules.

She was nervous as always when hiding her emotions but she was still thinking she could manage to slope off and find a corner to have a good cry too, just to get it out of her system.

Taking a deep breath she passed the knickerbocker glories up and handed one each to the girls.  "Now sit, eat and sooner we get this done the sooner we can..."

Ruth looked to Jules.  She was going to say "get out of these uniforms and have a good bawl..." but she didn't want to ruin the girls day, nor did she want them to think she wanted rid of them or they were a burden.

"... do something else fun en route to dropping you back.  Maybe Jules can recommend some Andorian snacks that you can take back to sample for your Anthropology homework!  I have to say that was one cool idea."

Finishing up the ice cream... the girls had actually been silent the whole time and looking up with mouths literally covered in cream, melted ice cream and sauce, grinning like Cheshire cats, but with looks expectant of more treats.

"Look..." Ruth said passing them each a few napkins to wipe off the mess, "..we'll get you some treats to take home with you but, you have to promise not to eat them all at once.  I don't want Mrs McGinnis contacting me to say I have to find another foster carer for you because you're bouncing off the walls with sugar rush. So if we get you stuff you have it a bit at a time and ... well Katya you're in charge of hiding your stash where you know she won't find it and throw it out, and that doesn't mean in your tummy.  Well I suppose that's one thing you could do... keep your rooms like immaculate, do your homework perfectly and she won't need to be in your rooms at all..."

Katya gave her sister a look as if to say 'Okay...and when do teenagers ever have perfect rooms?!'

"I know what you're thinking and well ok mess it up just a little but clean it up straight away, help around the house a little.  If she thinks you're 'up to something' tell her that I told you to start being more mature and grown up... and if you do I'll square it with her that a) you can come onto base at the weekends when you're not at school and you'll have a credit account so you can get teen magazines uploaded onto your personal PADDs and more sweets and ice cream at Minchella's and pizza at Gringo's for you and your friends.  Deal?!"

The girls put their heads together then solemnly held out their hands, each spat into them and held them out. Ruth spat on each of hers and shook.  "It's an Earth thing, Jules, it seals the deal."

She reached for a napkin and wiped her hands.

"Right, what else do you lot want and what would Jules like as a treat from us girls?!"

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.