Athena Mission 3.1 Camp Kill

Started by James Carter, February 06, 2018, 06:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 07, 2018, 05:13:13 PM

Jules's antennae swung from left to right, back to left. He blinked twice, and found both eyebrows jumped about a good inch up his forehead. He leaned over next to Ruth. "I told you so? I guess?" To be honest, Jules hadn't expected something quite like that. Essentially a slap to the face, and told to go do their job.

Jules figured that Ruth would probably be overwhelmed. He wrapped an arm around her, waiting for the emotion to overcome her. Jules honestly wasn't sure how he felt about it. Made one rank, and one formal reprimand in what, 3 months? Great job Jules. Great job.

JAG Courtroom

Ruth let out the breath she hadn't been aware she'd been holding almost since the judge entered the room.

"Did he just say we got off scot free?" she said not believing it, and welcomed Jules's arm around her, and even snuggled in a little closer.

"I don't fancy our changes here if we just sit here, I've got a feeling that someone will throw us out pretty soon anyhow so... shall we find somewhere for a drink, and I mean a proper one cuz I could use that, or a good cry, or, well... that one's probably out of the question, so drink and/or good cry it is as I've been holding this in far too long.  Now, I'll get you a drink but I don't suppose you'd want to be around a weepy female so you're excused that one if you want to slope off after the drink, and I won't hate you... just find me somewhere quiet to go hide and I won't hold it against you."

She sniffed back a tear shaking her head.  "And I really should check in on the twins while I'm on base, I don't know when I might get the time again.  If you want to meet the miscreants ... basically think of me, thirteen years old, doubled!  So what do you say, what order and where and well, how much of that would you like to do with me?"

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Naira

Quote from: James Carter on February 07, 2018, 11:43:39 AM

[JAG Courtroom]

Quote footsteps could be heard approaching the bench. As James looked forward he saw the judge of his trial take his seat. Carter quickly came to a stand and looked back to his crew for a second before he looked back to the judge. "Captain Carter. You face some serious charges, as I'm sure you're well aware." The older man said in a monotone, uncaring tone. "You, and your crew, stand accused of breaking the prime directive. How do you plead?"

"Guilty. My logs should reflect that. I singlehandedly made the decision to save the multiple species on Vindii Prime. And I'd do it again." Carter's tone matched the judges perfectly. "We did the mission we were sent there to do, we removed The Last Directive from the planet, and we lowered the radiation levels on the surface while not directly interacting with the natives."

The judge was silent a moment as he thought carefully on Carter's words. "It doesn't matter how you frame it Captain, you still broke the one rule no officer should ever break." Before the judge could finish James was speaking again.

"Perhaps. About a year ago I stood alone on top of a giant rock filled with explosives hurtling towards the Earth. The only way the explosives could be triggered was for someone to stay behind and trigger it themselves, something I volunteered to do without hesitation. Just a couple months after I had return from the dead The Athena stood alone against a Borg Tactical Cube headed for Federation space. I evacuated my crew and in a last ditch effort used my ship as a missile to prevent it from entering our space and killing an unknowable number of people. You know why? Because I will never stand by and watch as people die. That's not really my thing. If you wanted a lapdog you should've sent someone else." James stated matter-of-factly.

Again,the judge mulled on the Captain's words to formulate a reply. "Good deads do not erase bad ones Captain. You still broke our rules."

James nodded for a moment before he spoke again. "I did. But you bloody need us out there. Because where everyone else would fail, my crew and I succeed. It's undisputable that we save lives. Let us do our jobs mate."

The judge looked to a younger woman who was sitting close by who shrugged as a response. "I suppose I can't argue against that." The JAG officer sighed slightly looking down at the table and then back to James. "Very well Captain. You and your crew will all receive formal reprimands, but we will send you off on your next mission. However, be aware that one more slip up like this and I will personally sign away all of your careers. Am I understood?"

James stood shocked for a moment. He didn't actually expect his pitch to work, especially not that well. He turned back to the crew that sat behind him and offered a confused but relived look. Turning back to his judge he nodded. "Understood. Are we free to go?" He asked, as diplomatic as he could.

"Go, stop wasting my time." The judge snarled in response.

[JAG Courtroom]

Lowing the top edge of her PADD, so that her dark eyes could peer over the top as the judge had entered the room, Naira watched the proceedings. Somehow she was expecting...more. She had been expecting that the punishment for breaking such an important rule that had been so ingrained into their training to come at a much higher cost. But they were getting off with a reprimand.

Standing up, she tucked her PADD into the bag that had been sitting beside her, slung the bag over her shoulder and she waited for most of the crowd forming around the courthouse doors to file out before she exited out of the building. Now that the trial was over, it was time for them to get back to work.

She stood in the sunlit courtyard just outside the old stone building as she waited for the others to make their way out of courthouse. =/\= Naira to Athena, the trial is now finished. The crew will be returning to the ship shortly and from there you will receive our next orders. =/\=

As much as she enjoyed the feeling of the warm sun against her back and a gentle breeze roll through her hair, she was looking forward to returning to the ship. She wanted to check in with her daughters and she had a message she promised to send.

Susan Venator

Quote from: Naira on February 07, 2018, 09:03:41 PM

=/\= Naira to Athena, the trial is now finished. The crew will be returning to the ship shortly and from there you will receive our next orders. =/\=

Bridge

Suzie was at the tail end of a long shift on which nothing had happened. She had finished her novel and drunk her tea. Now when the end was in sight, the transmission came in. She gave a smile at what it meant. She immediately responded.

=/\= Athena to Naira. Received and understood. I'll get the ship ready for space. Athena out! =/\=

She closed the channel before giving a huge sigh of relief. She then opened an internal channel.

=/\= Bridge to all hands. Please prepare ship for departure. All duty personnel to their stations. Further orders will be given when the rest of the crew returns. Bridge out! =/\=

She sat back in the chair and watched the master readout. Soon all the systems went from either standby or inactive to green, showing ready for departure.

As she sat there, the doors to the turbolift opened and the duty bridge crew entered and took their stations.

Suzie sat back and waited for the Captain and Commander Naira to arrive.

Species: Betazoid
Bio: Susan Venator Bio Alt of Lizzie Vaughan

Naira

Quote from: Susan Venator on February 07, 2018, 09:15:04 PM

=/\= Bridge to all hands. Please prepare ship for departure. All duty personnel to their stations. Further orders will be given when the rest of the crew returns. Bridge out! =/\=

[XO's Quarters]

The girls had spent most of the morning grudgingly gathering their belongings and packing them into bags. Their room now lay vacant of any of the personal touches that had made it feel like home. The three of them had sat, curled up on the edge of the bed as they awaited to hear news of what was to come next. They knew that the outcome of this trial would decide if they were to continue to live aboard the ship with their adoptive mother or if they would have to go live the the woman they had come to call 'grandmother,' though they had only met her the once.

"I don't wanna go," the youngest pouted as she leaned against her older sister.

"I don't either, but it's not up to us." The oldest said as she brushed the hair out of her little sister's face.

"It's not fair," the middle child proclaimed. "We didn't do anything wrong and they are going to send us away."

"We don't know that yet. You heard the announcement, we'll hear more when the crew comes aboard."

Naniid tried to best to reassure her sisters that everything was going to work out just fine, but in reality, she was just as nervous as they were. Ever since they had been placed up for auction, their lives had gone from one uncertainty to the next. All they wanted was to find a place that they could call home and know that it would be there for them whenever they needed it.

James Carter

[Starbase - Dock]

To say Carter was eager to return to his ship would be like saying a fish kind of enjoys water, a gross understatement. He thought he'd lost the ship for sure. So much so that he'd even pack up his things and was ready to disembark for the last time. For a moment he stood and looked at it through the window as a small smile crept onto his face. He didn't have time to admire it though, and he knew that. So quickly he left to rejoin his crew.

[USS Athena - Transporter Room One]

The crew had already received their next assignment. No more than a routine patrol. Something they'd likely need to get use to for the foreseeable future with the added reprimand. =/\= Ms. Venator, I've sent coordinates to you. As soon as everyone is on board, get us underway. =/\=

Susan Venator

Quote from: James Carter on February 08, 2018, 12:24:06 PM

[Starbase - Dock]

To say Carter was eager to return to his ship would be like saying a fish kind of enjoys water, a gross understatement. He thought he'd lost the ship for sure. So much so that he'd even pack up his things and was ready to disembark for the last time. For a moment he stood and looked at it through the window as a small smile crept onto his face. He didn't have time to admire it though, and he knew that. So quickly he left to rejoin his crew.

[USS Athena - Transporter Room One]

The crew had already received their next assignment. No more than a routine patrol. Something they'd likely need to get use to for the foreseeable future with the added reprimand. =/\= Ms. Venator, I've sent coordinates to you. As soon as everyone is on board, get us underway. =/\=

Bridge

Suzie gave a satisfied smile as she heard the Captain's com.

=/\= Understood Captain. We are already preparing to depart. We should be ready by the time the last of the crew are aboard. Welcome back. Venator out. =/\=

She closed the com and looked at the orders the Captain had sent. It looked like a routine patrol. She immediately forwarded the the destination to the helm.

"Helm. I've just sent you coordinates for out next assignment. please plot a course and prepare to depart." She ordered.

"Coordinates received Ma'am and course laid in. We are ready to depart on your order."

Suzie nodded.

"Thank you." She replied, then turned to the duty security officer.

"Please confirm when all personnel are back on board."

"Will do Lieutenant." The duty Sec/Tac officer replied with a smile.

Suzie then sat back in the chair and waited for the rest of the crew to return. She did not expect it to be too long.

Jules Bash

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on February 07, 2018, 06:14:01 PM

JAG Courtroom

Ruth let out the breath she hadn't been aware she'd been holding almost since the judge entered the room.

"Did he just say we got off scot free?" she said not believing it, and welcomed Jules's arm around her, and even snuggled in a little closer.

"I don't fancy our changes here if we just sit here, I've got a feeling that someone will throw us out pretty soon anyhow so... shall we find somewhere for a drink, and I mean a proper one cuz I could use that, or a good cry, or, well... that one's probably out of the question, so drink and/or good cry it is as I've been holding this in far too long.  Now, I'll get you a drink but I don't suppose you'd want to be around a weepy female so you're excused that one if you want to slope off after the drink, and I won't hate you... just find me somewhere quiet to go hide and I won't hold it against you."

She sniffed back a tear shaking her head.  "And I really should check in on the twins while I'm on base, I don't know when I might get the time again.  If you want to meet the miscreants ... basically think of me, thirteen years old, doubled!  So what do you say, what order and where and well, how much of that would you like to do with me?"

Jules looked at her. "You're a downright mess, you know that? It sounds like we might be jumping back to the ship soon, so lets go check in on the twins, which the idea of you, twice, at 13, terrifies me by the way. Then we can get a drink back on the Athena. So, lead the way, weepy woman." Jules said, pulling her up to a standing position with him, and nudging her into the outflow of pedestrians.

Naira

[XO's Office]

Naira returned to the ship with most of the crew. A few had put in a request for a short stint to attend to personal matters before returning to duty, but they were advised to make it quick.

She headed straight for her office, began to remove the itchy dress uniform she was wearing and opened a secured communication with the K'tomoc. After a moment, the Starfleet emblem on her monitor was replaced with the image of an older Klingon male with greying hair. His eyes looked more sunken and the worry lines deeper than she remembered.

"Doctor, I didn't realize we were having that sort of communication," a wide smile spread across his face and he began to comb his beard with his fingers.

"Hmmm?" Naira looked down, not fully realizing that she had been leaning over the desk as she proceeded to change uniforms. "It's good to see you too, General."

"I take it the trial is over? Have you thought anymore about my offer? It is still an option you can take."

After finishing changing into her regular uniform, she sat down in her chair to finish the conversation. "It was a kind offer, but unnecessary. We are to return to work, doing patrol duties for the foreseeable future."

"I still say we have easier ways of handling such issues on a Klingon vessel."

She shook her head and held back a slight smile, "I doubt killing people who disobeyed orders would have improved the situation."

He shrugged in response, "I've yet to have an issue with anyone disobeying an order on my ship. But that is not what I wished to talk about. I want to know how you are doing, how my son is doing and when I can expect to see you again."

She pulled her hair behind her ears and tied it up. "I am doing just fine, we both are. He is growing at a steady rate. Small cranial ridges have started to form and can be seen in my latest scan. Would you like me to forward them to you?" She began typing away at her console before waiting for his response.

"You didn't answer my last question. When can I see you again?"

"I...I don't know. I'm going to have to get back to you on that. I have a lot of work to catch up on and I really should go. We can talk about this again later." She turned away from the display before ending the communication. She still wasn't fully sure how she felt about this complicated relationship of sorts they had going on. She liked the general, they got along just fine, but she wasn't sure how to define how she felt about him. She also wasn't sure how exactly to go about labeling whatever it was that they had.

It was best just to take it one small step at a time.

Of course, that would have been a lot easier had it not looked as if she were attempting to smuggle a sizable melon inside her uniform. She readjusted the top of her uniform once more and got up to leave her office.

Quickly, she checked in with her girls and let them know that they would be staying aboard the Athena and that they could go ahead and unpack all of their things. For the time being, no one was going anywhere.

[Bridge]

From there, she made her way to the Bridge. She could tell from the looks on their faces that the handful of officers manning the Bridge were relived to know they still had a job to do.

"Lieutenant Venator, inform me when the last of the crew has come aboard and helm, have you laid in the course? Going forward we need to prove ourselves and I'd very much like for this mission to go without incident."     

Susan Venator

Quote from: Naira on February 08, 2018, 05:36:36 PM

[Bridge]

From there, she made her way to the Bridge. She could tell from the looks on their faces that the handful of officers manning the Bridge were relived to know they still had a job to do.

"Lieutenant Venator, inform me when the last of the crew has come aboard and helm, have you laid in the course? Going forward we need to prove ourselves and I'd very much like for this mission to go without incident."

Bridge

Suzie stood up as Naira entered the Bridge. She nodded at the request.

"All systems show we are ready for departure Commander. A course to the destination provided by the Captain has been laid in and all we are waiting for are the last of the crew to return on board." She reported, indicating the master display.

Ozu Saya

[Unidentified Italian Restaurant]

Saya slowly began to relax as she and her grandparents ate their meals. The conversation started awkwardly, but by the time they finished eating, they were all speaking as if they were actually family rather than strangers.

Sitting back after clearing her plate of vegetarian lasagna, Saya glanced at an antique clock mounted on one wall of the restaurant. She sighed. I'm afraid I will have to cut this visit short. We were only allowed a short leave and I must return to the ship. I must say, I am pleasantly surprised to be doing so.

With agreements to keep in touch, Volnak and T'Sara bid goodbye to their granddaughter.

Saya stood clear of them and tapped her combadge.  =/\= Petty Officer Ozu to Athena, one to beam aboard.  =/\=

She offered a quick wave before she dematerialized.

Vulcan-Bajoran Hybrid; 5'2"
Domen Kyo: Bajoran; 6'6"
George Hugo: Human; 6'6"
Eviess Aihai Annhw: Romulan-Human Hybrid; 5'

Jules Bash

[Athena]

Jules stepped off the transporter pad with Ruth, having enjoyed the time on the Starbase. And seeing a side of Ruth he hadn't quite expected. But, work called again. Jules stepped with Ruth to one side of the hallway outside of the transporter room.

"Home sweet home. I'm sure you have paperwork, and I have maintenance checks to run. Want me to check up on you after shift?"

Jules wondered how the rest of the crew was taking the news. Especially Ozu, as sensitive as she had been on the problem from the very beginning. Or Ash for that matter, since he'd heard quite a few stories of the little civilian turning into a very out spoken "Jiminy Cricket". He didn't get the reference, which reminded him that he should look it up on his way to engineering.

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

[USS Athena - Mess Hall]

Ash set down her PADD with a sigh and happily stretched, trying to release the tension that had been coiling through her body as she sat in the courtroom. She had spent the entire trial clutching her PADD in the front row of the audience; on it was an extensive list of revered Starfleet captains who had, one time or another, broken the Prime Directive. If the judge had moved to have the crew stripped of rank or worse, kicked out of Starfleet, Ash had been mentally prepared to stand up, make a scene, and challenge the verdict. She knew that she would get in trouble for it, but as far as she was concerned, she would deserve it. She was just as involved as the people sitting in front of her for judgement; the only thing keeping her in the safety of the audience was the fact that she was a civilian.

Luckily, she hadn't needed to resort to her half-baked plan. James had presented his own on-the-spot defense, and it had miraculously worked. At the time of the verdict, Ash had nearly melted into her seat in relief. But as the crew started leaving, she had hopped up and joined the others for a quick beam-out.

Now, back in her mess hall, their good fortune was finally sinking in. Ash was filled with the kind of euphoria one experiences after narrowly avoiding something unpleasant, and she couldn't stop smiling. She hadn't bothered changing out of her clothes for the trial, instead opting to just slide her apron over her midnight blue dress. She had a bit of time before she needed to actually start cooking anyway. Her first priority - as it always was when Á¢â,¬Ëœleaving port' - was to take inventory of everything they had restocked.

James Carter

[CO's Office]

The office was completely barren, a few boxes filled with his things sat stacked in the far corner ready to be transported off if the verdict wasn't in his favor. The Captain's right hand moved along his desk as a smile formulated on his face. He was home again.

[Bridge]

James stepped onto the bridge, his arms folded. "Ms. Venator, thanks for holding down the fort while we were gone." He said in a warm, upbeat tone.

Ozu Saya

[Crew Quarters]

As soon as Saya returned to the ship, she hurried to her quarters to change out of her dress uniform. She scrubbed her hands through her short hair, mussing it, before smoothing it back into its usual almost-neat state.

She started to leave her quarters to check in to Engineering, even though she wouldn't be on duty until the next day, when she paused and glanced to the corner of the room where her cello had been installed since she'd arrived aboard. It hadn't been out of the case since before the Academy, but speaking to her grandparents had stirred a desire to begin playing again. T'Sara was a musician as well, playing the Vulcan lyre with much grace and skill.

Saya turned abruptly and went to the corner, laying the case on the floor and opening it. She stared down at the black lacquer of the spare frame. It was an easily portable model, not possessing the large, thick frame of regular cellos. Her mother's antique cello was in storage on Vulcan, held for a future in which Saya might want to play seriously.

She knelt in front of the case and lifted the cello and bow free, standing and carrying both to the desk chair. It wasn't ideal, but the cello was fairly small anyway; she'd had it since she was a child. Setting the bow aside for the moment, she plucked at the strings, wincing at how out of tune they were. Carefully, she turned each knob, tightening the strings until they hummed in harmony. Taking the bow up again, Saya noted that she likely would need a replacement, but it would do for the time being.

Sliding the bow against the strings, Saya played a long, mournful note, adjusting her grip and finger placement until it resonated perfectly. She slowly played some scales and exercises, reacquainting her hands and body with the practice. After a few minutes, the notes came easily and she transitioned into some Bach, and then Beethoven, before tapering off as her hands started cramping. She looked down at her dented fingertips and resolved to return to practicing regularly. Perhaps she could send some recordings to her grandmother for critique once she was back in form.

Vulcan-Bajoran Hybrid; 5'2"
Domen Kyo: Bajoran; 6'6"
George Hugo: Human; 6'6"
Eviess Aihai Annhw: Romulan-Human Hybrid; 5'

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 08, 2018, 01:02:32 PM

Jules looked at her. "You're a downright mess, you know that? It sounds like we might be jumping back to the ship soon, so lets go check in on the twins, which the idea of you, twice, at 13, terrifies me by the way. Then we can get a drink back on the Athena. So, lead the way, weepy woman." Jules said, pulling her up to a standing position with him, and nudging her into the outflow of pedestrians.

[JAG Courtroom]

"Is that a take on the Terran band 'The Eagles' song 'Witchy Woman'?" Ruth giggled through her tears.  "Anyhow, yes... the twins are terrifying but fun and just what I need..."

[OOC: Note to anyone interested Jules and Ruth will be moving the adventures on Starbase to a holodeck]

SOMETIME AFTER VISIT WITH TWINS ON STARBASE....
[Transporter Room Hallway - USS Athena]

Quote from: Jules Bash on February 09, 2018, 07:35:44 AM

[Athena]

Jules stepped off the transporter pad with Ruth, having enjoyed the time on the Starbase. And seeing a side of Ruth he hadn't quite expected. But, work called again. Jules stepped with Ruth to one side of the hallway outside of the transporter room.

"Home sweet home. I'm sure you have paperwork, and I have maintenance checks to run. Want me to check up on you after shift?"

"Mmm-hmm" Ruth nodded in agreement.  "And thanks for the reminder... paperwork... uck!" she pulled a mock face of hatred.  "See you later my favourite engineer!"  she said running a finger down one of his antennae.

She turned to go, then turned back, remembering something. "Look, thanks for today, the twins adore you and I needed someone...there.  I'm still not right by a long shot because seeing the twins is a double edged sword.  I love them but it reminds me of all that I've lost, and trust me, they wouldn't have hugged you when we left if they didn't like you.  Also they would have messed around even more...but I needed the fun, and I needed someone there to hug me when we'd done in the courtroom.  I owe ya.  Come find me after shift, if you want we can talk more or watch a movie or hang out in the mess with Ash, and Saya if she wants to tag along."

She planted a kiss on Jules' cheek.  "Take care for now, but don't be away from me too long, or I might end up the wet mess that I was before.  You do know the twins think we're far more than 'just friends' by the way!"  She giggled.

"Anyhow, must dash I need to get out of this bloomin' dress uniform and into my regular one and up to the Bridge.  Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

Bridge

After running to her quarters, tearing off the dress uniform and flinging it on the bed... more to get it out of her system than anything, she picked it up straight after and popped it onto a hanger, she put on a fresh set of teals and wandered up to the Bridge.

Coming through the turbolift doors she saw Susan, the XO and the Captain so she nodded and gave a small smile to her crewmate, and a nod and "Sir, Ma'am" to the Captain and XO before taking a seat at the Science console.

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.