Amici Novi (Lyric)

Started by Malcolm Adeyemi, February 02, 2018, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm Adeyemi

[SBC - Chapel - Rec Room]

The after church crowd mingled and chatted quietly. The carpeted floor smelled a tad musty, and a pot of old fashioned coffee percolated melodiously. There was a table laid out with a handful of treats: biscuits, cakes, a vegetable dip with crackers. Although food, even the real stuff, was plentiful on the Columbus, Friar T'Vol seemed intent on keeping the fare as skimpy as possible. Either he was a purist and only ate to live, or he had been to Christian services on earth in the past and knew that the norm.

Adeyemi was wearing a somber dark blue suit, white shirt, and a skinny black tie. It wasn't his best formal outfit, but even at 50 he still cut a dashing figure. He wasn't eyeing any of the pretty human and alien women in their church dresses, however. A lustful thought is a sin that is not realized. He was sipping from a cup of English breakfast tea and talking with the Friar.

"Unfortunately, we no longer have the patronage that we enjoyed when you were Station commander, admiral," The old Vulcan was saying. He was a tall, austere man with sunken cheeks and more wrinkles on his face than a topographical scan. A fringe of silvery black hair, like old iron, circled his head like a crown. He was clasping his gnarled hands before him. "Captain Tritter does not share your affinity for the spiritual."

"Neither did the captain before I," Adeyemi countered. "As much as I enjoy your services, friar, it is your responsibility to make the chapel flourish, not the CO's."

He wasn't worried about hurting T'Vol's feelings; the Vulcan had none. He was growing tired of the man's relentless schmoozing for more space, equipment, personnel, and anything else T'Vol thought he needed. Adeyemi was here to enjoy the whole, cleansed feeling he always did after worshiping Jesus Christ, not to take a requisitions order. Silently, while the Vulcan friar went on, the admiral's eyes searched the room for escape.

Lyric McDaniels

[SBC - Chapel - Rec Room]

Lyric followed the Starbase church goers to the chapel's rec room. She didn't actually know anyone here, but the atmosphere reminded her heavily of the small Christian church her parents had attended. Her hand worried at the delicate golden cross that rested at the base of her neck. The necklace was one of the few material possessions she had kept from her parents. Their worn wedding rings remained in a simple wooden box on a shelf in her quarters on the Challenger.

While her thoughts wandered, a friendly older woman took notice of her lost look, and thrust a plate piled with snack foods into Lyric's hand. Startled, she dropped the cross back against her skin and took the plate with both hands so she wouldn't wobble and drop the contents.

"Oh, uhm, I'm sorry but I don't..." she began apologetically, but the older woman waved her off and interrupted.

"Nonsense, child. I know you're about to say you're on some sort of diet. You need to eat, put some meat on those bones! Men don't want a little pile of toothpicks. Try some of these chocolate chip cookies, they're fresh made not replicated." The woman, although kindly, talked rapid fire and was quite persistent. Lyric didn't want to insult her by not accepting the food, but the changeling was also incapable of eating it. She was also perplexed by the idea of solid males wanting a 'meatier female,' since she knew they didn't eat each other.

With a bemused look on her face, as the older woman began to chatter and offer her more food, her eyes scanned the room to find a way out of her current predicament. She caught the eye of a tall gentleman in a crisp suit. Oddly enough he seemed to be in a similar situation. Subtly she mouthed, Help me!

Species: Changeling

If you could be anything you wanted, why wouldn't you choose to be happy?

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Chapel]

"The miss doesn't want to get her beautiful dress dirty, Pani Rawidowicz," Adeyemi was suddenly in their group, his accented voice declaring out in ringing tones. "And I don't blame her. I'll take those biscuits, however."

"Finally, a man with some sense. If only you could talk some into my husband." The old woman said. She deposited the biscuits into the admiral's outstretched hand, and sniffed once more before tottering off.

"Mrs. Rawidowicz is very old school, as am I." Surreptitiously, Adeyemi deposited the desserts into a nearby, unused replicator, and set it to recycle. The biscuits whispered out of existence.

"I'm Malcolm Adeyemi." He said. Church was one of the few places he dropped rank. Before God, all people were equal. He went to offer his hand, realized it was still covered in white crumbs and powder, and smiled feebly. He wiped it clean with his handkerchief, an old fashioned, stiffly starched piece of lacy Irish linen. He held out his hand for her to shake. 

Lyric McDaniels

[Chapel - Rec Room]

Lyric was enchanted by Adeyemi's unusual accent. She smiled happily, grateful to have avoided any awkwardness with the elder lady. Following his example, she deposited her plate of snacks into the replicator as well, mollified that it would not go to waste.

"When you speak, it almost sounds like singing. I don't think I've ever heard music I like quite as much." She gave him a small dreamy smile, before realizing how out of place her comment was. "Oh, I'm sorry, Malcolm Adeyemi. That was probably very rude of me. I don't always think before I talk, little bit of a flaw."

Lyric looked away hurriedly to compose herself before saying something awkwardly stupid again. She noticed his outstretched hand and shook it firmly, her delicate hand having a deceptively strong grip.

"I'm Lyric McDaniels, a crewman on the USS Challenger. Well, not on the Challenger right now obviously, we're having a sort of shore leave." She tugged lightly on the cross dangling from her gold chain. As much as she enjoyed meeting new people, once they found out she was a Changeling, they didn't seem to enjoy her as much. She would never lie about who or what she was though, honesty was very important to her. Still perhaps she could enjoy making a new friend, at least for a little while.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Chapel]

Adeyemi immediately stiffened. It would be visible to even a casual observer of human behavior. The woman before him was his subordinate. Perhaps she was lower on the totem pole than most, but that simply made it worse. He held her hand in his for some reason, his nerves evident.

"I'm Admiral Adeyemi." Why did he introduce himself that way? He was being too formal, and he was anxious. Those weren't feelings he was accustomed to. "I'm...visiting the Discovery right now, as a matter of fact. I am about to disembark after a few days stay here on the Station."

He was babbling on like an idiot. His cheeks felt hot. Adeyemi's brain fumbled around to latch on to something she had said, something he could respond to.

"Thank you...for the compliment." He said, flustered. "I was born in Nigeria, but raised in England. How about yourself? How did you like the service?"

Lyric McDaniels

[Chapel]

Lyric didn't understand exactly what she had said wrong, but it was obvious Adeyemi was uncomfortable. She looked down puzzled at their joined hands, his pulse raced where his skin met hers. Meeting his eyes again, she made an attempt to answer his questions.

"Ah, I'm sorry if I was too informal. I wasn't expecting to meet someone so important at church. Should I call you Admiral, or sir?" Her head tilted slightly to the side with the inquiry, before she continued. "I was raised in a small colony in the Ponor Sector, near the Eridian Belt. My parents, well adoptive parents, had a farm there. The were from London originally. The one on Earth. There's probably a few other Londons other places, I guess."

Lyric rambled a bit, echoing some of Adeyemi's nervousness. With her free hand, she tugged a loose strand of hair and tucked it behind her ear. She hoped he wouldn't dig deeper, then she'd have to tell him the whole truth about herself. It was easier to talk about other things.

"The service was nice, not quite what I'd expected, but then I've never been to a church with a Vulcan pastor. Vicar? Friar? I'm not entirely sure what's the proper term here." She gave him a shy smile and laugh.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Chapel]

"No, no ranks here." He told her quickly. "Before God, all men and women are equal. Welcome to the Starbase Columbus, Lyric."

"I am also from London," Adeyemi said, smiling like an idiot. It would have looked exceedingly odd if you were used to his customary facial expressions. "Well, not originally. I am originally from Abuja, in Africa. Have you ever been to Earth? Well, of course, you were trained there, sorry. I miss both places..."

He nodded to her when she said she enjoyed the service, and gently informed her that T'Vol was a Friar.

"Before I came aboard, there was only a converted assembly room here," Adeyemi went on, still holding her hand and not realizing it. "And no real chaplain, just some Klingon madman who had his own particular idea of what constituted worship. I much prefer Friar T'Vol."

He abruptly realized he was still holding her hand. Sheepishly, he let them drop, and almost apologized before he told himself to shut up and not look like an idiot.

Lyric McDaniels

[Chapel]

Lyric nodded along politely as she listened to Adeyemi talk. His voice really was lovely to listen to, even if he did confuse her. Why would he use his rank and then not want to use ranks? However he seemed particularly enthusiastic to speak with her on a variety of topics.

"I'm afraid my visit to Earth was limited to San Francisco and my training there. It's very pretty though. I had never seen an ocean before. Just lakes, ponds and irrigation ditches. I should like to see more of Earth, and maybe your Africa sometime."

Once Adeyemi released her hand, she raised it to her neck to worry at the small golden cross once again. It was a habit she had picked up from her mother, having seen her wear the necklace always. Even when her hands grew too shaky to fasten the clasp so Lyric did it for her. She was hit with a sudden sadness, but for once she was grateful that she could not cry. It only showed in a little downward twitch of her mouth, before continuing on, maybe a little too enthusiastically.

"Well it seems like T'Vol has done a good job with the congregation here. Uhm, if you're not too busy, could you show me around the Starbase? I haven't really seen much yet, and you seem like you've spent some time here." She smiled widely, as she was genuinely curious about the Columbus. There seemed to be a lot to see and do and despite her earlier tinge of sadness, she was excited to explore.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Chapel]

"I was formerly posted t here," Adeyemi confided to Lyric. He didn't want to get into his former or current position. The chapel was a strange place. Lower enlisted mingled with flag officers, and he thought it should always remain so. The prospect of stratifying the Starbase's Christian community frankly disgusted him. It was one of the few places everyone was truly equal.

Hesitantly, he offered her his arm. When she didn't take it, Adeyemi hastened to say:

"We can start the tour at the Solarium," He said. "They're currently doing a Japanese garden exhibit. Or maybe you'd prefer a more official tour of the Columbus's systems?"

He was nearly babbling and clearly looked nervous. His arm hung out there for her to take. Perhaps she was not familiar with the gesture.

Lyric McDaniels

[Chapel]

Adeyemi's actions confused Lyric, it seemed like something about her made him nervous. Could he tell she wasn't a normal human on some level? He hadn't said anything about it, so maybe she was just being paranoid. Eventually she would have to say something, but the longer she waited, the harder it seemed to bring it up. Was it selfish to just enjoy some time, being treated like a normal person? Eventually she realized her internal dialogue had left her silent for some time, with him, just staring at her with his arm extended. Lyric hesitantly put her hand on Adeyemi's arm.

"I think I should quite like the Solarium. I am unfamiliar with Japanese, but I do enjoy plants. Perhaps we should just enjoy some 'unofficial' time together?" Her smile was shy, but genuine. If they just kept things light and friendly, maybe her otherness wouldn't even come up. "Lead the way?"

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Passageways - Solarium]

Adeyemi instantly relaxed when she took his arm. Something about her touch put him at ease. He ignored the looks that he was receiving from a few of the congregation. There wasn't a more gossipy place than church.

He led them along the passageways. Someone a long time ago, a dreamy designer, had thought that the Columbus needed a great deal of portholes. When he had first arrived here many months ago it had seemed excessive. But he had to admit that it was an enchanting sight: the stars and the far below planet, glittering blue by starlight. It was beach season, down on the planet. Tourists were arriving from all over the sector to visit. Adeyemi preferred hunting season.

"Nyota VI is more popular for its beach resorts," He told her, leaning into her a bit as they walked. "But the hunting is fantastic, as well, and legal. The locals don't mind a few Starfleet officers so long as we clean up after ourselves and don't interfere with their ecosystem. Do you like to hunt, Lyric?"

They continued on. Families lugging beach gear passed them by, and small children were guided by the hand towards the flight decks operated by the civilian pilots. It wasn't an efficient use of power for everyone to simply transport or fly down all of their gear and themselves to Nyota VI. Though the command staff and Starfleet tried to be accommodating to the tens of thousands of civilians aboard, their time and energy was best used towards protection, not tourism.

[Solarium]

Upon first entering the large room, there was a sense of it being open to the sky, even though it was buried deep in the bowels of a starbase. The sunlight inside radiated warmth and drenched the grass, the river, the trees, and the arching bridges and Shinto shrines:

The sky and sun may have been artificial, but they were gorgeous. And the plant life was all real, Adeyemi had seen to that when he was commanding officer.

"'The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul.'" He quoted from memory, and smiled at Lyric.

Lyric McDaniels

[Passageways - Solarium]

Lyric subtly matched her stride to Malcolm's as they walked along companionably. It was easy to get lost in the musical tones of his voice as he talked about the planet below. However, a frown touched the soft corners of her mouth as she considered his question.

"I... do not hunt, Malcolm. Maybe I understand the prey more than the predator. However, I do know it is sometimes necessary, and do not begrudge you your enjoyment."

She gazed a bit dreamily out the nearest porthole at the glittering blue sapphire of Nyota IV. The thought of oceans with their ebbs and tides and fathomless depths pulled at her gently, like an old friend calling. With a slight shake of her head, she returned her gaze and attention back to Malcolm.

"The beaches sound lovely. Perhaps sometime I could visit there as well."

Her eyes drifted over the gathered families, and felt a small pang of regret. The loss of her parents, perhaps the only family she would know. She allowed her guide to lead on, while she kept her face in a comfortable placid expression and lightly patted his fingers on her arm. To explain what she was feeling would require too much of her own history to be revealed. Not yet, let's be normal just a while longer.

[Solarium]

Lyric took in the Solarium with a wide eyed expression of awe. It was amazing that man was able to create this perfect slice of nature in the bowels of a space station. Even the air felt crisp and clean, so much different from being on board a starship.

"It's beautiful here, Malcolm. Like a perfect lazy afternoon bottled up to savor at a later date." She broke away from him then, to kneel at the edge of a pond. Delicately, she cupped a waterlily in her hands, admiring the precise and orderly splay of petals. "My father used to say 'God is in the details.' There is an order to things, and beauty in that order."

Malcolm Adeyemi

[P-Ways]

Adeyemi could read social cues well enough. He may have been a loner, but he knew when to leave well enough alone. He didn't bring up hunting again, but instead focused on the beach:

"I prefer the mountains, myself," He told her. As she was looking out at the beach, Adeyemi surreptitiously snuck a glance at her, openly admiring her. She had very pale skin, her hair was long and flowing, her eyes smoldering, and her lips were full. Adeyemi had always been a sucker for full lips. Embarrassed by his thoughts, he turned away.

[Solarium]

The simple beauty of the solarium always made Adeyemi instantly feel at peace. He glanced darkly at the shinto shrines that dotted the landscape. A past CO of the Starbase had seen fit to add a ecumenical prayer area in the solarium, a place for people of all faiths to relax, meditate, or pray. The station's former chaplain, a religious zealot Klingon who embraced heresy instead of exterminating it, had probably been behind that. Adeyemi had quickly removed the ecumenical area and replaced the crazy Klingon with the much more severe Friar T'Vol.

"It is beautiful," Adeyemi replied quietly as Lyric went to admire a flower. "I like to come here after worship...its very tranquil. It helps to reinforce the message of the service, or as you said, the details. God is perfect and so is his creation."

Lyric McDaniels

[Solarium]

Lyric sat back on her heels and smiled up at Malcolm, the artificial sunlight glinted warmly in her dark eyes. With a fluid childlike grace, she sat fully down in the grass, knees up, and rested her chin in her hand. A thoughtful look in her eyes, she studied the man before her. He could almost be a statue, carved from all hard lines and sharp edges, but he was unmistakably alive and vital.

"Are you always so solemn and serious, Malcolm? What do you do for fun? What makes you happy?" The more she thought about it, the more she wanted to hear him laugh. He'd smiled, but it had been guarded and restrained. Perhaps the burdens of admiralty weighed heavily on him, or maybe that was part of his personality.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Solarium]

A smile was threatening to break out even as Lyric spoke. She was right, and he was more than a little surprised at how well she could read him. He usually wasn't one for smiling, not at all. But he found himself wanting to in her presence. And the way she had boldly brought it up was also refreshing.

"I do smile," He gave her a little one just so show her he could. "For a while, I had a friend here on the Columbus. Maybe 'friend' is the wrong word, she is a sentient AI. She looked on me as...a father figure."

Despite her question, Adeyemi had grown even more solemn. He missed Analyn, and greatly. He blinked a few times, and abruptly changed the subject, feeling he had revealed too much of himself.

"Fellowship with other believers makes me happy." He told her. "I do have leisure pursuits, like hunting. Sports. I was the recreation and fitness officer on another starbase, years ago. It was an interesting position. What makes you smile, Lyirc?"

The artificial sunlight, every bit as warm and lovely as the real thing, reached down through the treetops and bathed them both. Somewhere, a bird tweeted, and a gossamer breeze flitted through the leaves and babbling water. Adeyemi felt himself relaxing even more.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.