Xerxes (Open)

Started by Jus'draal, January 11, 2018, 04:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jus'draal

[Holodeck 3]

Jus'draal stood in sandals and  thing called a 'toga'  It was a bedsheet, she decided.  There was some ineffective looking armor in the conr carefully aranged on a sort of humanoid shaped stand.  In her hands was a short earth sword.  She found it odd that it had only one handle and that it was so straight.  It appeared to be a primarily thrusting weapon and was apparently used with the disc of a shield that was hanging on the wall.The shield featured a chevron on it's face and was large and actually rather heavy being almost solely composed of some metal or other.

For the past week the Klingon had been trying this program on the Holodeck, it was called Xerxes- Therm.  She was not certain what that referred to as she had not come across a reference to Xerxes yet.  But according to the computer the key events of this program were still days away.  She wondered what they were as she was unfamiliar with this time period.  She had been very sensibly searching fr war based programs and this had been toward the bottom of the list nd one of only two beginning with an X.

Dhe was just finishing running the sharpenning stone over te blade of the sword when a commotion erupted outside, there was shouting and hooting from all around.  She put down the weapon and the stone and went to see what the matter was.

She stood in the doorway of the quarters she occupied and watched as a Messenger came to speak to the king, he was a spartan and told the king, one named Leonidas, that a Persian messenger had been spotted.  The King was quiet then gave instructions to the messenger to bring the messenger to him.

DabuQlu'DI' yISuv - Klingon Proverb - When Threatened, Fight.
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Earth Proverb - If you wish peace, prepare for war

Ian Galloway

[Holodeck Three]

Ian entered the running program wearing a standard Starfleet uniform, but in period mode, which meant the characters would see him as if he were dressed for the era. Ian stifled a giggle when he saw Jus'draal's outfit, but managed to keep a straight face as he stepped next to her.

"Do you have any idea what you look like Lass?"

Jus'draal

[Holodeck Three]

She quirked a brow at the Lieutenant Commander and shugged, "A walking bed?  With a silly nonfunctional weapon and shoes with holes in them."  She dinished.  "Yu look... more comfortable."

"Have you come to join the Spartans?  They are great warriors apparently."

Jada

[Holodeck 3]

Although Jada had enlisted in Starfleet with the low goal of being a simple Security grunt and gunner, she'd found herself, through a process of elimination of those officers remarkably less stable, elevated to the position of Chief of Security & Tactical of a Galaxy-class starship. Not bad for a green girl from the backwoods. But, pursuant to this, she'd actually needed to study tactics, both on land and in space. Hence she had, in her off hours, on the sly, been taking Academy training courses, studying set Starfleet tactics and manoeuvres and case studies of historic battles of Federation member worlds, not merely those of the Orions with their mastery of ambushes and tactical surrenders.

So she'd been looking through available simulations, mostly thinking she could run an ancient Vulcan battle with Solluk for guidance, when she found an Earthian one being used by another crewmember. So she came to check it out, figuring it would save on her own holodeck credits.

Jada entered in a white woollen Dorian peplos, like a sleeveless tunic with a short skirt slit up the sides to further flash her thighs, and pinned at the shoulders by fibulae bearing her caterpillar clan symbol. This insignia didn't exactly fit the ancient Greek era, but then, neither did the green Orion woman and her extensive tattoos (now including Falrios rosettes on her right leg in memory of Vish and the planet Okekai). But the peplos itself was entirely accurate, the standard dress of Spartan women of the age, the computer had told her. So was Jada's exquisite physical fitness, for that matter. Spartan women had a lot to recommend them. In fact, she'd found some remarkable parallels between Spartan and Orion culture, only Orions had much more fun. 'You could be more comfortable,' Jada pointed out slyly, 'These Spartans didn't always bother with clothes.' She tugged her hem; 'Good thing I did some more research than look at pots.'

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Jus'draal on January 11, 2018, 11:52:43 PM

[Holodeck Three]

She quirked a brow at the Lieutenant Commander and shrugged, "A walking bed?  With a silly nonfunctional weapon and shoes with holes in them."  She finished.  "You look... more comfortable."

"Have you come to join the Spartans?  They are great warriors apparently."

[Holodeck Three]

Ian looked extremely skeptical, but was smiling as he replied.

"Honestly Lass, I was just curious who would run this program. I hope you realize that Leonidas and his entire command died at Thermopylae. It was a braw stand, one of the finest, but I don't see the mileage in a program you can nae win. Besides, I'd look even more ridiculous than you do in that outfit. And ta top it off, this is a bit too far back in time fer my tastes. I get that Klingons are fond of fightin' with cutlery, but I've never seen the appeal. I admire your willingness ta give this program a chance. You are probably the first person since the Tempest was launched ta do so."

Jus'draal

[Holodeck Three]

Jus'draal was surprised when another crew member arrived.  She actually looked alot more comfortable and except for the caterpillars more like the holo-people here.  Jus'draal nodded to her in greeting, "Greetings, Spartan."  She intoned.  "You hop in good places." She added.

Returning her attention for a moment to Ian she snorted, "This is an aged simulation," She said.  "I had to reprogram the social norms so that being Klingon was not considered being crippled by these people."  She shook her head.  It had probablybeen originally programmed before Klingons were more commonplae aboard Federation starships.

"I do understand that Leonidas and his people are doomed.  But what a doom!  The honor of laying down one's life for the greater good.  the glory of the last stand.  I cannot think of a greater thing to memorialize.  To stand with these men will do me honor, the simple opportunity to aid the cause here...  I have heard that there is another similar battle lter in human history, though it seems less romanticized.  It took place in the American west.  At a plae called Los Alamos.  I believe later they built great weapons of war there during the Second World War.  It must be a wonderful place!"

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Jus'draal on January 12, 2018, 09:02:13 PM

[Holodeck Three]

Jus'draal was surprised when another crew member arrived.  She actually looked alot more comfortable and except for the caterpillars more like the holo-people here.  Jus'draal nodded to her in greeting, "Greetings, Spartan."  She intoned.  "You hop in good places." She added.

Returning her attention for a moment to Ian she snorted, "This is an aged simulation," She said.  "I had to reprogram the social norms so that being Klingon was not considered being crippled by these people."  She shook her head.  It had probablybeen originally programmed before Klingons were more commonplae aboard Federation starships.

"I do understand that Leonidas and his people are doomed.  But what a doom!  The honor of laying down one's life for the greater good.  the glory of the last stand.  I cannot think of a greater thing to memorialize.  To stand with these men will do me honor, the simple opportunity to aid the cause here...  I have heard that there is another similar battle lter in human history, though it seems less romanticized.  It took place in the American west.  At a plae called Los Alamos.  I believe later they built great weapons of war there during the Second World War.  It must be a wonderful place!"

[Holodeck Three]

Ian chuckled as he replied.

"Close. The Alamo was in Texas. Los Alamos was in New Mexico. Yes, another grand stand, as futile as it was grand. Less cutlery, more black powder. I'll give you a solid maybe. As I said, while I'm fine with bein' an underdog, I'm nae so fond of a lost cause.

"Anyway, Chief Nozama is probably the best qualified in the crew for anything with blades. I'm more of a reach out and touch someone sort of warrior."

Jus'draal

[Holodeck Three]

In the courtyard that was visible through the open door, Leonidas and his court along with many of the spartan warriors had gathered to receive the messenger.  As the messenger approached the courtyard the roar of the spartan sreets announced their passing.  As the messenger's party frew nearer, more and more people appeared in doorways and on balconies, wtching the proceedings.

"I think something is going to happen..."  She shifted oerto  a window to allow the others to wach through the doorway.

"Soon there will be only to choose sides, to realize wether we see the ultimate outcome here... I wonder how the program ends though, the holodeck is not supposed to kill us..."

Jada

[Holodeck 3, Sparta]

Quote from: Jus'draal on January 12, 2018, 09:02:13 PM

"I do understand that Leonidas and his people are doomed.  But what a doom!  The honor of laying down one's life for the greater good.  the glory of the last stand.  I cannot think of a greater thing to memorialize.  To stand with these men will do me honor, the simple opportunity to aid the cause here... "

'It's pashan, the profitable sacrifice to protect one's kin.' Jada agreed emphatically.
Quote from: Ian Galloway on January 12, 2018, 09:29:47 PM

"Anyway, Chief Nozama is probably the best qualified in the crew for anything with blades. I'm more of a reach out and touch someone sort of warrior."

'Chief Jada, please,' Jada corrected politely, this being the first opportunity when they didn't have anything more important than discussing naming customs going on.

Hearing the commotion outside, she examined some of the period weapons available in the simulation; the curved makhaira was similar to her machete, but more suited to the cavalry combat of the era (as she knew from lizard riding), as was the recurved kopis. The straight-bladed short sword called the xiphos was favoured for the phalanxes of heavy infantry known as hoplites that the Spartans were famed for. Given the current situation, Jada requested 'Computer, create makhaira.' The heavy curved sword duly appeared in her hand.

Quote from: Jus'draal on January 13, 2018, 03:56:43 AM

"Soon there will be only to choose sides, to realize wether we see the ultimate outcome here... I wonder how the program ends though, the holodeck is not supposed to kill us..."

Jada moved to the doorway of the crude dwelling, peering out into streets to see the meeting. She groaned 'Please don't say it. Haven't you heard the curse of the holodeck?'

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Jada on January 13, 2018, 07:42:09 AM

[Holodeck 3, Sparta]

'Chief Jada, please,' Jada corrected politely, this being the first opportunity when they didn't have anything more important than discussing naming customs going on.

[Holodeck Three]

Ian blinked and was clearly surprised.

"Beg pardon Chief,  I didn't know Orions followed surname first naming conventions. In any case, I'll leave you two die gloriously, cross the river of blood, and join in the grand songs of Sto-Vo-Kor. I'll stick ta the Flyin' Tigers. However, if'n you do try an Alamo program, I'll try it a couple times, still not exactly my choice of fun, but you are willin' ta indulge me in China, I'm willin' ta give Texas a chance."

Jada

[This is Sparta]

'We don't. "Jada" is my given name, "Nozama" my clan name. It's like if I called you "Ian Scots."' she explained with a smile. 'We like to be addressed by our given names. Only clan leaders are known by the clan name.'

'If I have to die gloriously, I'm going to heaven's harem for a little more than grand songs. But I'll give this Alamo a go.'

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Jada on January 13, 2018, 09:37:41 PM

[This is Sparta]

'We don't. "Jada" is my given name, "Nozama" my clan name. It's like if I called you "Ian Scots."' she explained with a smile. 'We like to be addressed by our given names. Only clan leaders are known by the clan name.'

'If I have to die gloriously, I'm going to heaven's harem for a little more than grand songs. But I'll give this Alamo a go.'

[Holodeck Three]

Ian shrugged as he replied.

"Good analogy. Chief Jada it is. If that is what you believe, that is what you believe. I'm skeptical of all religions and pretty much anything that isn't demonstrably true. All religions are speculative and I don't like the entry price to find out which one is right. However, enjoy your stab fest."

Ian turned to face Jus'draal.

"Let me know when you are going to give the Alamo a run and I'll join you, but glorious death or not, I expect you to be in China at 1800. Good day."

Ian smiled and waved before calling for the exit.

Jus'draal

[Holodeck Three]

"Well good it's omly 1600 now... I will see you at 1600 sir."  Jus'draal had to be careful of becoming a holo-junkie, but she thought it was not too much a danger.

Now she turned to the Chief, "So, just you and me for now... We could attempts to rewrite history, there is that option...  I daresy between you and I we could figure that out."

She watchedas Jada handled the weapons she had requested.  As usual with Jada, Jus'dral was aware of the danger the Orion just beneath her exterior.  "When and where did you say your classes are held, Chief?"

Suddenly there was a roar of the crowd outside and Leonidas shouted, "This is SPARTA, we do not surender and we do not take threats.  Let Xerxes bring his armies!"  he then drew his own weapon and beheaded the messenger with a single swipe of his blade, and holding the head of the messenger, kicked his remains into a rain shaft that lead into the undeground sewers of the city.

Jus'draal's eyes were wide, "Sothere is potential to these straight blades..."  She breathed.

Jada

[Sparta]

Jada had been joking about her preferred afterlife; certainly it was preferred, but no Orion really seriously believed it. Early Orions hadn't had time to develop a belief system before alien slavers had brutally shown them the truth of the universe. As it was, the galaxy itself was their mythic landscape, and Jada was currently in the Outer Dark.

'You want to win the Battle of Thermopylae?' Jada confirmed, surprised, then was thoughtful. She'd have to see the field of battle itself to start getting ideas.

'Classes are held semi-irregularly, usually weekly, depending on shifts, attendance, and availability. Sometimes there are surprise sessions. Battle can come at any time, we can't schedule it to Tuesday evenings.'

Jada watched the bloody display outside, stunned at the human barbarity. 'Well, that's a complete failure of diplomacy.' she remarked critically. 'Hmm. There's been some modifications. Maybe it's more of a dramatisation? I read they pushed the emissaries down a well, saying they'd find the earth and water they'd asked for down there. These early nations couldn't communicate very well, so they made symbolic demands: earth and water for land and sea. And kicking people down wells. It definitely gets the point across.'

She indicated Jus'draal's xiphos. 'Against an unarmed emissary, anyway. It's your basic thrusting weapon. These people fought in close-packed phalanxes with those large shields and spears. No room to swing a big blade, only to pump it back and forth and wiggle it around a little.' she explained from her studies. She indicated her own larger, curved sword. 'The makhaira and kopis seem to have been mostly cavalry weapons, good for slashing attacks, but they're effective in more spread-out ranks too. The right weapon for the right fight.'

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.