Season 2 Episode 3: Monsoon Season

Started by Michael J. Tritter, November 14, 2017, 10:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Black

Quote from: Katharoz Knox on November 29, 2017, 11:30:24 AM

[Shotaka]

Oh, I am sure they did consider it!

Knox wanted to laugh at his last comment, however due to their current location and the circumstances thought better of it. She smiled in a way that she had not since landing on Shotaka.

"I certainly have a few stories to tell. When we return to the Station - Puzzles. It's a date."

Knox was then distracted by Kentrat's fall and steadied her own footing.

She was glad he had been paying attention to the energy signatures, though was concerned after his fall.

"Pools of acid rain underneath the surface is highly likely, Ensign. Do be careful with your footing."

Yes, his mother's kindness towards others.

She could feel Darzem surfacing in her thoughts as she responded.

"I have the impression that several factions may consider it easier to simply leave Shotaka. An uprising and revolt is easily predictable once our technology is on display. And, I would not want to make it any easier for them by allowing access to the ship. Security shall be stretched as it is in order to accompany landing teams here."

"I think you should settle for the portable medical pods and ration your supplies and time, Doctor. Make sure that you work with Security to create a safe zone. Simple cases of acid burns and skin reactions to the robotics could be applied by the nurses. Ah, I think you may have your first patients. They may be in need of food and drinking water also."

Knox noticed several Shotakan's forming a group near the clearly marked medical supplies. And in their pitiful state, began to wonder if it was going to be enough. Thin, dehydrated and with horrid skin afflictions.

"Good luck."

Knox turned as she overheard Commander Tritter's voice. That brash German accent was so distinctively him. She knew he was missing his husband and children terribly, and hoped that the mission was at least a distraction. She walked over to him as he spoke with Cadet Tanner behind her and nodded by way of a greeting.

"Excellent. I recommend some kind of treatment facility resembling a conveyor belt, with those treated leaving prior to the next entering. Kentrat and I are going to the ILE. Shall update you in an hour, Commander."

And then adding, "If you do not hear from us, locate comm signal and send backup."

Knox nodded a goodbye and walked in silence with Kentrat to better make sure that their footing was not lost. Several moments later, they were joined by two Shotakans in their bubbles, traveling on what seemed like an old Earth hovercraft.

[Shotaka]

"Aye, Commander." Derek affirmed, somewhat resignedly. Setting up a treatment facility was usually a hard enough task by itself, much less having to set one up on uncertain ground and underneath the looming threat of acidic rain. They weren't a large crew in the first place, and judging by those already straggling towards them, their supplies wouldn't last long either. Starfleet needed to send more help, else their efforts would be in vain. "Doctor Lunn." Derek greeted the physician as he disembarked, followed by more medical staff slowly guiding large anti-grav sleds down the ramp. On each sled was a 'disaster pod', large prefabricated and fully equipped shelters which, once unpacked, could be interconnected together to form a pressurized and self-contained field hospital.

It would take several hours to deploy, and Derek needed to buy them some time. "Lunn, I'll take a small team and supplies to the local hospital...any of the local populace who require medical assistance and aren't urgent should be redirected there. Please supervise the deployment, and have Doctor Connor take charge of the triage teams."

Quote from: Michael J. Tritter on December 01, 2017, 12:03:04 AM

They made their way towards the hospital where the Shotokans were being treated. They had taken a few of the Medical Staff of the Starbase with them to help treat their injured and sickly. He proceeded to scan the entrance of the makeshift hospital, it was obvious that it had been attacked and he had a fairly good idea of what they were getting into. However, once he crossed the threshold into the makeshift hospital, it was a nearly shocking sight to the experienced type like him, there were tubes and machines everywhere, they were decrepit and they looked not far from dying... It was a room of death and nothing less.

[Shotaka - Local Hospital]

Having followed Commander Tritter's team into the city, Derek held back a sigh as he inspected the downtrodden hospital. Although somewhat insulated by his past experiences, it was still both shocking and saddening for him to see the grievously injured.

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on November 30, 2017, 03:00:21 PM

" =/\= Adeyemi to Tritter and all department heads. Give me a sit-rep, people. =/\= "

Tapping his commbadge, Derek peered around, looking for someone in charge. Although there were some who seemed to be staff, helping where they could, noone came forward to greet them. Most just watched the Starfleeters nervously, as though expecting the gun-toting security officers to open fire at any minute. Others seemed resigned to their fate. =/\="Admiral, this is Chief Black. We've begun deploying the field hospital back at our landing site. Meanwhile, I've entered the city with Commander Tritter's team, I'm hoping to link up with the local medical authorities to find out where our resources will be used best. I can already tell you we'll need alot more than what we've brought, sir."=/\=

T'Prina

" =/\= Adeyemi to Tritter and all department heads. Give me a sit-rep, people. =/\= "

[Science Laboratory 3 - USS Gibson]

T'Prina pursed her lips, and looked at the data streaming in front of her sourly. She didn't know what Adeyemi was expecting quite so soon, but she had nothing good to offer him.

=/\= "T'Prina here, Admiral. Ensign Dorset and I have been combing through all pertinent information regarding Shotaka and their current state of impending annihilation. I do not believe that to be an exaggeration. Every layer of their atmosphere down to the groundwater supplies are saturated with contaminants. To put it bluntly, Shotaka is dying and the Shotakans are to blame. Most specifically, blatant disregard for their natural environment and heavily unregulated industrial factories have contributed to their current situation. I will be in contact with their 'Institute for Life and Environment' to find out what resources, if any, they may have to help us in our endeavor. T'Prina out." =/\=

It hadn't been much, and since he was currently on Shotaka, it probably wasn't anything he hadn't seen with his own eyes. She sighed inwardly and began to thumb through the different screens in search of the contact information for the ILE. Assuredly, Dorset would be chiming in soon with his own opinionated view on the situation. Hopefully, he would have a fresh idea before she consulted the Shotakans.

At your smallest components, you are indistinguishable from a forest fire.
Bio

Daniel Howell

Quote from: Jenna McKinson on November 30, 2017, 07:21:30 PM

[ Shotaka - Planet's Surface ]

Jenna thanked Molly for the comforting moment, but then shook off whatever ill feelings she had when she first saw the place. She then got out her phaser and made sure it was on. Molly did the same once she saw Jenna do so. Both ladies holstered their weapons and donned their backpacks. The two began to head toward their destination or rather the one Jenna visually picked out. "You don't think we'll need these do you?Molly asked Jenna. Jenna continued to walk for a moment before she wanted to answer. "If I've learned anything during my time away from the fleet," Jenna began,"It's that you need to be prepared for anything. If those who live, if at all, here are capable of causing this to their landscape, I think they are more than capable of being violent towards those who are coming to help them.Molly nodded and then moved quickly to walk beside her. They then heard Dan catch up with them.

"It's something I would say. It honestly makes me sad how desolate this place is, but that large generator is calling to me. I think that's our best bet to understand how the hell anyone lives on this hole," Jenna said. "Jenna thinks that we may need our phasers for some odd reason,Molly said to Dan. "Said it was from experience and a gut feeling."  Jenna shook her head. "We could be headed in the wrong direction for all I know. What do you think Chief?Jenna asked.

Shotaka
"Yeah, I certainly wouldn't live here, I don't know how any civilization could let their home get this bad. Saying that humans gave it a good go in the 21st Century." Dan replied looking around into the horizon. He then located the large generator a little in the distance. "Agreed, lets check it out." he ended, motioning Jenna and Molly to continue. As they carried on walking, Molly mentioned the need of phasers. Dan chuckled and thought for a few seconds... "Molly, if there is one thing I've learned over the years it's always trust your experience and instinct. Sometimes it's better to be ready than caught by surprise. We'll continue to the generator, maybe it'll uncover something useful." He inputted the location of the generator into the tricorder, giving him coordinates, the trio continued towards the generator. Howell decided to set his tricorder to alert him of any non-starfleet life signs that got close to them. Practice what you preach... he thought to himself.

" =/\= Adeyemi to Tritter and all department heads. Give me a sit-rep, people. =/\= " It might be too soon for anything to have been resolved, but it would probably be considered bad taste if he vomited all over his host's dinner table.

Just then, the Admiral's voice came through on comms. He waited for a moment to make sure the channel was clear, before tapping his badge replying  =/\= Howell here sir, myself and the McKinson's are headed to a large what seems to be generator to see if we can uncover any more about their technology. Initial sensor analysis shows there to be a very high EM field to be emitted from an approximately 1 mile radius around the generator. I'll get back to you as soon as I have more. Howell out  =/\= And with that closed the channel.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known - Carl Sagan

Xander Dorset

Quote from: T'Prina on November 29, 2017, 03:42:03 PM

[Corridor Outside Lab 3]

T'Prina peered around the surly ensign, owlishly blinking her eyes. His annoyance was contagious, and she let slip with some sarcasm.

"Apparently you have found the one door in this entire ship that cannot be opened by plowing your head into it. Congratulations, Dorset."

She deftly nudged past him and gripped the door. Incongruous to her small stature and delicate hands, the door slowly began to move, with a shrill squeal in protest. Eventually, it slid entirely out of the way, leaving them awash in the scent of distilling alcohol. Her nose wrinkled in distaste.

"I believe we found the missing equipment. It seems to be converted to a purpose not intended." The Vulcan waved a hand at the makeshift moonshine operation in the center of the room. She then made her way over to a console, making a mental note to have someone come clean out the potentially hazardous mess.

"By the smell of that, they are either creating some alcoholic beverage, or a chemical to strip the hull plating from a shuttlecraft. However, it looks like the sensor consoles and other computer stations are intact and have not been tampered with. Regarding our earlier speculation about a weather control system, you are quite right. However, with modifications, we might be able to redirect the storms away from populated areas. It is not a fix to the situation, but it could buy more time." T'Prina frowned as she tapped at the computer's screen, sorting through reports.

"There are recorded instances of barystatic filters being used to clean up atmospheric pollution. For a planet of this size, and with the levels of toxicity, we would need at least a thousand. Still... It is an idea from which to start."

[USS Gibson - Science Laboratory 3]

Xander surprised himself with the amused chuckle that escaped his throat at T'Prina's quip. It was witty and shockingly sarcastic, and it took him a few seconds to remember that he was supposed to be frusrated. He huffed and rolled his eyes at the Vulcan's back, but couldn't seem to shake the small smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

When she managed to wrestle the door open and the sharp, identifiable tang of something brewing hit his nose, that smile quickly disappeared. Xander stalked into the room and eyed over the haphazard collection of glass- and metal-ware in the center of the room. He quickly spotted all twelve of the missing condensing columns from the previous lab... And a majority of the flasks. And the cooling coils. "Looks like at least one of the scientists has a slight problem with the drink - not that you can blame them, being stuck on this rust bucket... They get points for creativity though," Xander mused as he slowly circled the contraption, then kneeled along one corner where it appeared as if a stack of weigh glasses and a broken PADD were being used as a precariously balanced surface upon which a large vat of pungent liquid was bubbling.

He pulled himself away from the makeshift distillery and moved to a console along the wall as T'Prina's observations brought him back to their impossible task of preventing mass-death-by-acid-rain. He chewed on his lip as he thought over her suggestions and shook his head, still staring at his own screen and typing something as he responded. "From what we've heard about this monster storm cell, I doubt we'll be able to control it - at least not large scale. We might be able to protect one populated area at a time, but the rest of the planet would be forfeit... And a thousand barystatic filters might be difficult to come by in such a short time."

"What if," he began, typing furiously as he went, "instead of trying to filter or remove pollution from that toxic sludge of an atmosphere, we add more stuff to it?" He looked up at T'Prina with a light in his eyes and gears turning like a young child thinking up a new way to make a science fair volcano. "Acid rain is caused primarily by Á¢â,¬ËœNOx's and SOx's' in the atmosphere when they react with the water, right? Well, what if we got rid of that niche and add a different chemical to preferentially react with the water first? Competitive exclusion by chemicals as it were." It was obvious that Xander wasn't a chemist, with ecological terms and vaguities scattered in his explanation, but he was still a scientist, and his reasoning was sound.

Quote from: T'Prina on December 01, 2017, 10:51:01 AM

[Science Laboratory 3 - USS Gibson]

T'Prina pursed her lips, and looked at the data streaming in front of her sourly. She didn't know what Adeyemi was expecting quite so soon, but she had nothing good to offer him.

=/\= "T'Prina here, Admiral. Ensign Dorset and I have been combing through all pertinent information regarding Shotaka and their current state of impending annihilation. I do not believe that to be an exaggeration. Every layer of their atmosphere down to the groundwater supplies are saturated with contaminants. To put it bluntly, Shotaka is dying and the Shotakans are to blame. Most specifically, blatant disregard for their natural environment and heavily unregulated industrial factories have contributed to their current situation. I will be in contact with their 'Institute for Life and Environment' to find out what resources, if any, they may have to help us in our endeavor. T'Prina out." =/\=

It hadn't been much, and since he was currently on Shotaka, it probably wasn't anything he hadn't seen with his own eyes. She sighed inwardly and began to thumb through the different screens in search of the contact information for the ILE. Assuredly, Dorset would be chiming in soon with his own opinionated view on the situation. Hopefully, he would have a fresh idea before she consulted the Shotakans.

When the Admiral's message came through, Xander stopped his explanation and listened, snorting not-so-subtly in agreement with T'Prina's assessment of the Shotakans' guilt. With the conditions their readings were reporting, most of the panet's unique microbiome, excepting a few extremophiles, was likely long destroyed. A whole WORLD of species that he and T'Prina could have studied - gone. Diverse life carelessly thrown away... If his scowl hadn't returned earlier, it was certainly back now.

When T'Prina mentioned the "Institute for Life and Environment" to the Admiral, Xander quickly brought up his own research on the group. They didn't seem to be a particularly large group - (fitting, given that they didn't have much life or environment left, he guessed) - but he managed to locate some contact information and nudged T'Prina's shoulder to get her attention. "If this lot is who let everything turn into Hell in a handbasket here, I'm not sure how much help they'll be, if you want my opinions."

"Impossible is nothing

Tanner Lachlyn

Quote from: Michael J. Tritter on December 01, 2017, 12:03:04 AM

[Location: USS Gibson, Ramp]

Tritter had decided that now was the time to move out. He motioned his team over. Once they had formed up. He proceeded to look them over, they each knew his expectations, as they had worked with him in the past. He than proceeded to give them a run down of events to come. He than stated the following, "Thank you for your promptness. We are entering a planet that is caustic and nearly ruined, we will likely need to use masks. With the acid rain, we will have to use shield generators to avoid any burns. Any questions?" The team looked backed and forth among each-other, there was no questions asked.

Tritter than proceeded to don the mask, sealing it properly. He proceeded to activate the shield generator he had and the team did the same. He proceeded to step off, he carried his rifle at the low ready as he scanned the area. He didn't check behind him, but he could hear the foot steps of the team behind him as he moved. He could smell the tinge of the acid, which had a bit of a bronze hint in the air. He could hear the sounds of the acid rain hitting the shield generators they were using to protect themselves.

They made their way towards the hospital where the Shotokans were being treated. They had taken a few of the Medical Staff of the Starbase with them to help treat their injured and sickly. He proceeded to scan the entrance of the makeshift hospital, it was obvious that it had been attacked and he had a fairly good idea of what they were getting into. However, once he crossed the threshold into the makeshift hospital, it was a nearly shocking sight to the experienced type like him, there were tubes and machines everywhere, they were decrepit and they looked not far from dying... It was a room of death and nothing less.

He than heard his comm badge go off, he pondered for a moment at the request, he indicated for the team to fan out and keep Security in the area. He than stepped outside and tapped his comm badge to reply, he than stated, "Sir, we are at the hospital right now and have established a perimeter. I will advise you further if needed" He waited for a reply from the Commanding Officer before he went back in.

Tanner adjusted the neck of her uniform and then placed her hand back on the rifle. She was alert, nervous and desperately wanted to get back into her quarters to shower.  Tapping her badge she checked in, =/\= Tanner to Tritter, how far out do you want us? Should we be aware of any concerns....buildings....concerns in buildings....=/\=

Leanna Mazal

[Mook's Tavern]

The group of protesters who had taken up residence just outside of the Tavern showed no sign of moving any time soon which according to Mook happened regularly ever since the acid rain storms had gotten worse and for Leanna it was becoming clear that she wasn't going anywhere either. If she tried to leave now to get the supplies those in the tavern needed then she wouldn't probably reach the ship without a riot or calling for help never mind making it back to Mook.

So for the time being she followed Mook's advice and reassurance that they would eventually leave and move on and knew he was only looking out for her just like he always did despite him being the one in trouble. However as time went on and she got talking to some of other customers and listening to their stories things suddenly took a turn for the worse when they heard the sound of glass breaking and Leanna stood up just in time to see another projectile hurtling towards her but before she could get out of the way it struck her and as everything began to go black her senses were overwhelmed with more of the hatred, despair and anger.

Johannes Kentrat

Quote from: Katharoz Knox on November 29, 2017, 11:30:24 AM

[Shotaka]

Oh, I am sure they did consider it!

Knox wanted to laugh at his last comment, however due to their current location and the circumstances thought better of it. She smiled in a way that she had not since landing on Shotaka.

"I certainly have a few stories to tell. When we return to the Station - Puzzles. It's a date."

Knox was then distracted by Kentrat's fall and steadied her own footing.

She was glad he had been paying attention to the energy signatures, though was concerned after his fall.

"Pools of acid rain underneath the surface is highly likely, Ensign. Do be careful with your footing."

Yes, his mother's kindness towards others.

She could feel Darzem surfacing in her thoughts as she responded.

"I have the impression that several factions may consider it easier to simply leave Shotaka. An uprising and revolt is easily predictable once our technology is on display. And, I would not want to make it any easier for them by allowing access to the ship. Security shall be stretched as it is in order to accompany landing teams here."

"I think you should settle for the portable medical pods and ration your supplies and time, Doctor. Make sure that you work with Security to create a safe zone. Simple cases of acid burns and skin reactions to the robotics could be applied by the nurses. Ah, I think you may have your first patients. They may be in need of food and drinking water also."

Knox noticed several Shotakan's forming a group near the clearly marked medical supplies. And in their pitiful state, began to wonder if it was going to be enough. Thin, dehydrated and with horrid skin afflictions.

"Good luck."

Knox turned as she overheard Commander Tritter's voice. That brash German accent was so distinctively him. She knew he was missing his husband and children terribly, and hoped that the mission was at least a distraction. She walked over to him as he spoke with Cadet Tanner behind her and nodded by way of a greeting.

"Excellent. I recommend some kind of treatment facility resembling a conveyor belt, with those treated leaving prior to the next entering. Kentrat and I are going to the ILE. Shall update you in an hour, Commander."

And then adding, "If you do not hear from us, locate comm signal and send backup."

Knox nodded a goodbye and walked in silence with Kentrat to better make sure that their footing was not lost. Several moments later, they were joined by two Shotakans in their bubbles, traveling on what seemed like an old Earth hovercraft.

"Pleased pleased. We are deeply met. The ILE is several clicks away. Join us."

They gestured them to 'enter' the 'bubble'.

Knox felt the strange sensation as the pressure changed around her, and she could finally remove her breathing mask. It took several moments for her to realize and then she could not believe her eyes.

Wow.

As she sat comfortable on the hovercraft, she found herself actually enjoying the ride!

[Shotaka: En route to the ILE]

Oh my, yes, this was pretty. Though, the pit in the ensign's chest, in the space between his heart and his spine, engorged. The beauty, the pristine nature, only served to accentuate the contrast of the broken earth outside. It was easy enough to forget you were killing your home at an exponential rate when surrounded by such serenity.

It was foolish, it was reckless, it was...

It was irresponsible. Then again, when left unchecked, business could create horrid things. The shipyards back on Luna, sights and sounds of them, came to his mind to distract from his utter contempt, or at least put his feelings in context. He really couldn't be as mad as he was from the perspective of a Starfleet officer; the organization very rarely had any concern for injury or death when it required commissioned vessels. Workers were as much commodities to them as the aluminum that he always found himself looking out of in his free time aboard a ship.

He kept his mask on simply by forgetting he had it on, so he almost didn't notice this grand silhouette in the distance of this domed cylindrical building with shorter and smaller domes stemming down to cut this very soft but intimidating figure. However, as they got closer, the symmetry he had imagined was washed away. Half of the structures were either fallen or falling apart with inconsistent lighting, meaning emergency power was running about as well as the general life support. Vegetation was slowly creeping over the rubble and walls, with bright neon flowers that seemed to probe at and recoil to the new scent amongst them. Strange...the pock marks were very minimal and the plant-life seemed almost undisturbed.

"This could fit a decent amount of the populous if we can ensure the shield stability," he droned to his superior, forcing his chin across his fingers. His glare at the building growing in his vision seemed to grow in intensity. When was the last time someone even decided to check on this institute? Were they even funded? And what was this reminding him o-

His fingers snapped right by his nose.

"The Hagia Sophia. That's what it looks like."

That was gonna kill him to not say.

Kyan Mackenzie

"Shotaka | Hospital Perimeter, Checkpoint Bravo ::

Kyan and his team had slogged through the dilapidated streets of the city to their post without incident. The journey was long and the scenery had been depressing. The stench that the crew encountered at the landing site remained potent throughout their journey. The scent of rotting organic matter, burning petroleum, and various chemical wastes permeated everything, now including their own uniforms. Most of the buildings along their route were abandoned, which is why it was chosen. Some of those buildings formerly housed markets, shops, or child care centers. Some had been residential complexes or health care offices. All stood empty and in decay now.

The people that they'd seen had a beaten, desperate look to them. They went about their business with a sort of quiet despair. No one spoke. The only sounds that that the security team heard from the indigenous people came from the technology that they'd incorporated into their bodies to sustain them. Bleeps, whirs, and in some cases hydraulics were their only utterances.

Finally they came upon the building that was to be their lookout. Having already studied the internal arrangement of the place, everyone knew exactly where to go. They cleared the building, ensuring that they would not be surprised and affixed cameras and micro force field generators in the lower levels.

Kyan set the final force field generator in place and turned it on, eliciting a shimmering blue field of energy that crackled for a moment and then became invisible. "All Roit." he began, walking over to the window in the room the team had selected for their lookout. "Sure and all we need tae do the now is keep an eye on the locals. Oi'll call up the brass and let them know we're all set." He tapped his com badge.

=/\= Mackenzie to Tritter. Outpost Bravo is up. We're all set here. We'll notify ye if these locals get their knickers to twisty. Mackenzie out.  =/\=

Kyan tapped his badge again, ending the conversation. He walked over to the windown and looked down into the crowd of protesters. They were animated, but not threatening....yet. "Well boyos... who brought the playin cards? Looks as though we'll be babysittin this lot for some toime." he called out, turning back to the group.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Director's Manse]

Adeyemi had finally stepped away from the meal. Yilroy set a fine table, but the overwhelming alien taste to all of it left the admiral feeling queasy.

Reports from the department heads were rolling in. He acknowledged each with a double tap to his commbadge. It was merely his style; had a reply been required he would have done so. But his people knew what they were doing. They did not need him micromanaging every aspect of their duties.

When the reports were finished, Adeyemi noted that the scene at the hospital was turning ugly, and fast. But Tritter could handle it. Despite all their disagreements otherwise, the XO was a consummate professional.

"I am going to liaise with my science department, Director." Adeyemi told the frail looking man when he returned to the table. "While the rest of the crew repairs infrastructure I will help coordinate the science team."

"Of course--"

Just then, a large creaking groan was heard from the ceiling. What has been a steady patter of acid rain onto the roof had turned into a deluge. A fraction of a second later there was an echoing CRACK and the center of the ceiling collapsed.

Adeyemi, having just approached the far end of the table, was relatively unscathed. But chunks of masonry fell onto the center of the room, scattering dishes and food. The air was clogged with dust and dirt.

"Yilroy!" He shouted into the suddenly dark gloom, as acid rain poured inside. It was tangy smelling, and sent up tiny puffs of noxious smoke wherever it landed.

"I'm OK, Admiral." Came back the weakened voice, but no weaker than it usually was. "Go. The storm is increasing and it weakened the ceiling. The lightning was merely what broke it. Go, please, my people need you more than I."

[Planetside]

The storm was strengthening. All over Shotaka, winds picked up sharply, at first only ruffling hair and clothing. Unsecured debris and objects began to skitter across the metal and stone paths, against buildings. Soon larger items, comm spires, small vehicles joined the parade, and finally people. The smaller, weaker Shotakans who could not find their way indoors were snatched off the ground. With it all the volume of polluted rain increased threefold, obliterating personal shields and anything and anyone unlucky enough to be caught in it.

Buildings suffered the same fate as the Director''s Manse. Roofs collapsed with lightning strikes or the rain, rendering previously safe structures damaged and dangerous. People began to rush outside.

One Shotakan was wheeling along through the storm, thinking that if he moved quickly enough he could reach a spot of cover. The rain began to eat away at his shield, causing it to flicker, and the few drops of painful acid rain that got through to him made him move all the faster. Soon the shield was gone, and the wind gusted, picking up the being and whipping him high into the air, faster and faster, as the rain ate away at his body. His screaming soon dwindled and was gone.

Michael J. Tritter

[Location: Shotaka]

Tritter remained focus on Chief Black. He than stated the following, "We should set up the field hospital, this isn't going to work" He wasn't much of a medical guy, but his Husband was and he knew that was here was pretty much stone age in comparison to what they use in the Fleet. He would wait for a reply before he would direct his team one way or the other, he'd like to get the new hospital up and running, as that may help calm the tensions with the panic that has ensued because of the meteorological issues.

Quote from: Tanner Lachlyn on December 02, 2017, 12:46:51 AM

Tanner adjusted the neck of her uniform and then placed her hand back on the rifle. She was alert, nervous and desperately wanted to get back into her quarters to shower.  Tapping her badge she checked in, =/\= Tanner to Tritter, how far out do you want us? Should we be aware of any concerns....buildings....concerns in buildings....=/\=

Tritter listened carefully once he heard his comm badge go off, he than tapped his comm badge and replied to her "We could some assistance with getting the new hospital set up, I'll send you a location. Tritter out" He knew they would rely on the new hospital to help keep the peace since people were panicking. Once they got that set up, they would venture into the village to enforce the peace.
Quote from: Kyan Mackenzie on December 04, 2017, 07:54:56 AM

=/\= Mackenzie to Tritter. Outpost Bravo is up. We're all set here. We'll notify ye if these locals get their knickers to twisty. Mackenzie out.  =/\=

Tritter focused once again once he heard his comm badge off, he than replied with "Excellent Lieutenant, we are establishing a mobile hospital and will than move in to the village after" His heavily accented voice was focused and calm as he addressed the Lieutenant.

He had heard some pending panic and he wanted to get the hospital done so they can get into the village and take care of things from there.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Jenna McKinson

Quote from: Daniel Howell on December 01, 2017, 06:06:44 PM

Shotaka
"Yeah, I certainly wouldn't live here, I don't know how any civilization could let their home get this bad. Saying that humans gave it a good go in the 21st Century." Dan replied looking around into the horizon. He then located the large generator a little in the distance. "Agreed, lets check it out." he ended, motioning Jenna and Molly to continue. As they carried on walking, Molly mentioned the need of phasers. Dan chuckled and thought for a few seconds... "Molly, if there is one thing I've learned over the years it's always trust your experience and instinct. Sometimes it's better to be ready than caught by surprise. We'll continue to the generator, maybe it'll uncover something useful." He inputted the location of the generator into the tricorder, giving him coordinates, the trio continued towards the generator. Howell decided to set his tricorder to alert him of any non-starfleet life signs that got close to them.

[ Shotaka ]

As the group continued to walk, Jenna was humming to herself as they walked. It was one of her new coping mechanisms. The glasses and medicine only went so far. There was still pains from day to day. It also didn't help that the contraption she had to help her breathe on the planet. This did not deter her and this made Molly that much happier.

IT was then they heard Dan's tricorder go off once they were closer to a generator. Jenna and Molly nodded to one another to prep themselves for any issues ahead. As they headed toward a small makeshift town, it seem ramshackle at best, but was perfect for shelter. As they walked, they heard chanting. It seemed there were some protesters that were attempting to block their way.  Their signs read various slants against StarFleet and not wanting help.

Jenna and Molly continued on, but she couldn't shake the odd feeling they were being watched by someone. Once they were far enough away from the crowd of protesters, the destination was easily in sight. Molly was scanning the area with her eyes as Jenna was walking ahead with Dan.

Molly's eyes went wide when she saw someone pop out of nowhere and point something toward Dan and Jenna who had their backs turned. It was then Dan's tricorder went off "DAN....JENNA.. ARMED BOGEY ON YOUR SIX. HIT THE DECK," Molly screamed. It was then Jenna heard and dropped to the ground. She made sure to pull Dan down with her. Their attacker missed as the two dropped to safety.

Molly then shot and incapacitated their attacker. It was then an inaudible set of screams were heard and Molly had to drop down herself to get cover. Luckily there were cement style barriers littered about to grab cover for. "You doing ok there chief?"Jenna asked. Luckily they had dropped just behind one of the barriers. Jena pulled out her phaser and began to blind fire toward where they were being shot at."Talk to me giraffe. How many target do we have?" Jenna asked Molly. "I am counting six at least,"Molly said as she began to fire. It seemed like they were surrounded at that point.

"I always try to be true to who I am and just be myself."

Tanner Lachlyn

"We could some assistance with getting the new hospital set up, I'll send you a location. Tritter out"

Tanner tapped her badge,=/\=Aye Sir, I'm on my way.=/\= With a grateful sigh she hoisted her rifle onto her back, much more comfortable to jog with than when in hand. She was eager to get out of the eerie street.

Stop

The voice caused every hair on her body to stand on end. With a swift motion her rifle was in hand and she was doing a slow three sixty to see who was nearby. There was nobody.

Perhaps she was on edge more than originally thought. That didn't stop her from quietly backing down the street, eyes on every open space and ledge. Not that it did her much good. The rock that came flying at her head she'd never have anticipated.

Tanner's last thoughts before hitting the ground were of her gun and the strange figures heading towards her.

---

Where...am...I?  Her throat burned with every swallow, causing her to wince. Tanner wanted to cry out, but she had no voice. Weakly she tried to open her eyes, but they refused to listen. What's going on? As much as she tried moving, her body wouldn't. Am I tied up? It was then she became acutely aware of one very important factor. Her breathing mask was gone.

Auzual Knox

[Shotaka: ILE]

Quote from: Johannes Kentrat on December 04, 2017, 01:11:08 AM

Oh my, yes, this was pretty. Though, the pit in the ensign's chest, in the space between his heart and his spine, engorged. The beauty, the pristine nature, only served to accentuate the contrast of the broken earth outside. It was easy enough to forget you were killing your home at an exponential rate when surrounded by such serenity.

It was foolish, it was reckless, it was...

It was irresponsible. Then again, when left unchecked, business could create horrid things. The shipyards back on Luna, sights and sounds of them, came to his mind to distract from his utter contempt, or at least put his feelings in context. He really couldn't be as mad as he was from the perspective of a Starfleet officer; the organization very rarely had any concern for injury or death when it required commissioned vessels. Workers were as much commodities to them as the aluminum that he always found himself looking out of in his free time aboard a ship.

He kept his mask on simply by forgetting he had it on, so he almost didn't notice this grand silhouette in the distance of this domed cylindrical building with shorter and smaller domes stemming down to cut this very soft but intimidating figure. However, as they got closer, the symmetry he had imagined was washed away. Half of the structures were either fallen or falling apart with inconsistent lighting, meaning emergency power was running about as well as the general life support. Vegetation was slowly creeping over the rubble and walls, with bright neon flowers that seemed to probe at and recoil to the new scent amongst them. Strange...the pock marks were very minimal and the plant-life seemed almost undisturbed.

"This could fit a decent amount of the populous if we can ensure the shield stability," he droned to his superior, forcing his chin across his fingers. His glare at the building growing in his vision seemed to grow in intensity. When was the last time someone even decided to check on this institute? Were they even funded? And what was this reminding him o-

His fingers snapped right by his nose.

"The Hagia Sophia. That's what it looks like."

That was gonna kill him to not say.

Knox nodded to Kentrat by way of a 'I see what you mean'. Their hosts gestured them to leave their protective bubbles and walk inside. She observed how they had remained on their hovercrafts but moved at walking pace. They entered a large room with slanted ceilings that had masses of data spilling out from each work station. As the Shotakan scientist's spoke, they zoomed around the room collecting data and giving it Knox and Kentrat to hold.

"Welcome welcome. Yesssss. No more, no more. We were once a proud, yes very proud, race. Our world once looked like the paradise we showed you on your journey here. No more, no more."

"I am Professor Napuli and this is Doctor Une. We are the last, yes the last, of the ILE who remember. Remember the before when funded. Though at that time I was but a student, a student here! Glorious time for Shotaka, proud time."

"Dark times now, yes very dark. We have tried and failed, yes failed. Our failures to stop the mass industrialization, stop the destruction of our climate, stop the denial, yes denial of what was happening all around."

Knox's past host Izu resurfaced. He had been a prominent geneticist on Trill and though was appalled by the state of the labs, he could not put down the amount of data they had collected and the statistical tests that had been performed. Though for Knox, she simply overwhelmed by the desperation of their situation.

The Institute for life and the environment is independently ran by just two unpaid Shotakans?

"This is what needs to be done for our atmosphere. But, we do not have, yes not have the necessary resources. This is what needs to be done for our surface to grow food again. We cannot maintain current life, no unmaintainable. New basic life. But, no support. Yes, no support. No help left for Shotaka."

The two scientists stopped their scrambling at documents and looked towards them.

From what Knox could tell, the drastic measures put forward by these scientists were not completely out of the realms of reality. However, it was not surprising that the consequences had been too much for the Shotakan governing bodies to agree with.

"We are here. We shall help. But first, we need our scientists to take a look at all of this."

They nodded.

=/\= Knox to T'Prina. Currently at the ILE. They have a plan, but part of it shall basically mean firing a charge into the atmosphere that shall disintegrate fibre optics and all silicon chips. Please arrange for a direct transport from my coordinates. Dorset shall have his hands full. There is a lot of data here, and in conjunction with your own analyses, it could hold the key to Shotaka's survival. =/\=

Knox watched as the two weak, robotic-limbed and acid-eroded men hugged and kissed Kentrat, thanking him for saving them.

PAST HOSTS OF THE KNOX SYMBIONT | Sirzi Diplomat (First to Vulcan) | Darzem Trill Private Service (CLASSIFIED) | Jorzon Engineer (Died young in an engineering accident) | Izu Geneticist (Crimes against Trill Law, Symbiont removed, outcast) | Nazar Ambassador for Trill (Loved everything that life had to offer; woman, wine and weddings) | Katharoz StarFleet First Officer of SBC (Died. Investigations ongoing) | The Seventh Unknown Alien species shared host.

Member of the Great House of Ruktah PENDING General Yoduk's approval.

Michael J. Tritter

Quote from: Tanner Lachlyn on December 04, 2017, 11:39:26 PM

Tanner tapped her badge,=/\=Aye Sir, I'm on my way.=/\= With a grateful sigh she hoisted her rifle onto her back, much more comfortable to jog with than when in hand. She was eager to get out of the eerie street.

Stop

The voice caused every hair on her body to stand on end. With a swift motion her rifle was in hand and she was doing a slow three sixty to see who was nearby. There was nobody.

Perhaps she was on edge more than originally thought. That didn't stop her from quietly backing down the street, eyes on every open space and ledge. Not that it did her much good. The rock that came flying at her head she'd never have anticipated.

Tanner's last thoughts before hitting the ground were of her gun and the strange figures heading towards her.

---

Where...am...I?  Her throat burned with every swallow, causing her to wince. Tanner wanted to cry out, but she had no voice. Weakly she tried to open her eyes, but they refused to listen. What's going on? As much as she tried moving, her body wouldn't. Am I tied up? It was then she became acutely aware of one very important factor. Her breathing mask was gone.

[Location: Shotaka]

Tritter had been in the middle of a conversation with Doctor Lunn about what needed to be done to set up the hospital, as Tritter was not the best at these kind of things. He proceeded to direct the team to assist with the set up the hospital. He had kept an eye on the surroundings around them, he noticed that they were gathering attention, he suggested to the team that they put feet to the fire if you will. He had noticed it had been about half an hour and he hadn't seen Cadet Lachlyn. It didn't take a seasoned investigator like him to know two and two was not four.

He tried to get her through comm badge, but it was just static. He decided it was time for him to hit the trail and figure out what was going on. He proceeded to approach two of the Lieutenants, they were the exact ones he was looking for. One of the Lieutenants than greeted him, Tritter nodded slightly. He than shifted his focus to a Trill male Lieutenant, he than instructed them to help lead the team in getting the hospital done. He than shifted his focus to the Klingon Security crewman, Tritter had wanted to bring them along, another impressive show of force.

He took a moment before he said "Crewman, come with me" He turned on a heel and exited the area, he didn't want to discuss this situation infront of the others. The Klingon grabbed their rifle on the way out. Once they were outside out of ear shot, he than focused directly on the Crewman with an intent gaze that would put most into a melt down, but he knew the Klingon was more than able to handle it. He than said "Crewman, Cadet Lachlyn hasn't showed up as per my orders and she isn't the type to not show up. We need to find her, she would have had to proceed through the town to get here, let us start there"

The crewman replied with a moderately accented "Aye Sir", to the Commander. He than nodded slightly to the Crewman and said "Let's move" He proceeded to start to make his way to the town, he carried his rifle at the low ready. The two men walked side by side, their heads on a swivel as the approached the town. He knew that they likely weren't going to get much assistance, but he wasn't going to leave her behind, he never left anyone behind.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Tanner Lachlyn

[Shotoka - Basement]

A cold liquid hit her lips, causing them to burn and yet she naturally opened hoping to sooth her parched throat. Although it did help, it also burned as it went down and Tanner couldn't help but whimper as she swallowed, "Th-" Her throat hurt as the air passed through and the sound was so quiet, "Than..ks"

Whoever was there grunted at her and moved away. Tanner felt a breeze touch her cheek. A window? A door? She wondered. Her eyes cracked open a touch and although they felt raw and sandy when she blinked, Tanner did her best to focus on the room. A bed, I'm in a bed. She moved slightly, angling her head to see. And that's a window.

Closing her eyes she let them rest and somehow mustered up tears, which helped wash away the burning from the air. Whoever had her breathing mask was probably enjoying the reprieve from the current toxic environment. Why hadn't she been more aware of it. Surely someone had noticed she hadn't checked in yet. They would be able to track her signal.

Suddenly she something on her face, causing her head to jerk back, eyes flying open. Is it a child? Tanner did her best to calm down. The small form wore her mask, its sunken eyes looking at her with the same curiosity every child seemed to posses. Tanner offered a cracked smile, "H...hi" she whispered.

A shrill noise pierced the quiet and the child bolted, a much larger figure standing in the door way. It was a lot less curious and more angry. It was also armed with her rifle.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.