S2 M4: Effigy

Started by Julia Rellek, November 06, 2017, 10:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solluk

Shuttlebay

"Well," Solluk managed to joke, "there is a fine getaway vehicle over there.  What would the Ferengi pay for a Nebula class, do you think? Surely they'll surrender a premium of latinum if we include the spare parts, too?"

On the subject of his recent promotion, he became more serious.

"No one was more surprised than I at this outcome.  In a way, I feel that I cheated the system.  Between the time I spent training at the enlisted Academy, then serving on the Discovery, then here on the Tempest... it's been less than three years since I joined Starfleet.  There are cadets and Ensigns serving under me who put in four years at the Academy.  I am sure I am resented by some of them."

Solluk's situation was very unusual.  It was only a rare series of events that led him to this place.  First, there was a glowing letter of commendation from the Captain of the USS Bardeen, which dated back to his civilian life.  Then, a series of missions came that gave him rare chances to demonstrate excellence despite his mediocre academic performance.  It was an excellence he'd never believed himself capable of.  Next, the generous ability to clear training hurdles with accepted credits from the Vulcan Technical Institute of Shikhar.  Finally, he'd been gifted with an exceptionally supportive officer contingent.  From his department head right up to the Captain, everyone had helped to lift him up.  Without them to endorse his final training and elevation, he'd still be a crewman flying shuttles.

He loved flying shuttles.  But an elusive gem had slowly grown in him since joining Starfleet: Ambition.

He would never have believed it possible at the time- about three years ago- but crashing headlong into a rampaging shuttle, cooking his brain, and losing his fiancé were the best things that had ever happened to him.

"It is good to see you in the position which you were born to take.  I always knew you would someday be a Security Department Head.  From the time we met in the gym, your prowess in this field was apparent.  It's as much a part of you as the jungle of your home is."

He well remembered their first meeting.  He would never forget the look of her, bare to the world, decorated in the perspiration and scars that told the story of her life.  It had been like a biography and testament, detailing her will to persevere through any challenge.  He'd spent a lot of time with her since that first encounter, but that image of her was what most often came to mind when he thought of Jada.

"Speaking of which, I met s'Metra.  It was a surprise when she appeared in engineering.  She seems eager to please, and just as skilled with computer simulations as one might expect.  I think she will progress well in the service."

As he finished talking, he glanced about, wondering who the assigned pilot for this away team mission was.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Klizh

Quote from: Solluk on November 27, 2017, 11:44:06 AM

Shuttlebay

"Well," Solluk managed to joke, "there is a fine getaway vehicle over there.  What would the Ferengi pay for a Nebula class, do you think? Surely they'll surrender a premium of latinum if we include the spare parts, too?"

On the subject of his recent promotion, he became more serious.

"No one was more surprised than I at this outcome.  In a way, I feel that I cheated the system.  Between the time I spent training at the enlisted Academy, then serving on the Discovery, then here on the Tempest... it's been less than three years since I joined Starfleet.  There are cadets and Ensigns serving under me who put in four years at the Academy.  I am sure I am resented by some of them."

Solluk's situation was very unusual.  It was only a rare series of events that led him to this place.  First, there was a glowing letter of commendation from the Captain of the USS Bardeen, which dated back to his civilian life.  Then, a series of missions came that gave him rare chances to demonstrate excellence despite his mediocre academic performance.  It was an excellence he'd never believed himself capable of.  Next, the generous ability to clear training hurdles with accepted credits from the Vulcan Technical Institute of Shikhar.  Finally, he'd been gifted with an exceptionally supportive officer contingent.  From his department head right up to the Captain, everyone had helped to lift him up.  Without them to endorse his final training and elevation, he'd still be a crewman flying shuttles.

He loved flying shuttles.  But an elusive gem had slowly grown in him since joining Starfleet: Ambition.

He would never have believed it possible at the time- about three years ago- but crashing headlong into a rampaging shuttle, cooking his brain, and losing his fiancé were the best things that had ever happened to him.

"It is good to see you in the position which you were born to take.  I always knew you would someday be a Security Department Head.  From the time we met in the gym, your prowess in this field was apparent.  It's as much a part of you as the jungle of your home is."

He well remembered their first meeting.  He would never forget the look of her, bare to the world, decorated in the perspiration and scars that told the story of her life.  It had been like a biography and testament, detailing her will to persevere through any challenge.  He'd spent a lot of time with her since that first encounter, but that image of her was what most often came to mind when he thought of Jada.

"Speaking of which, I met s'Metra.  It was a surprise when she appeared in engineering.  She seems eager to please, and just as skilled with computer simulations as one might expect.  I think she will progress well in the service."

As he finished talking, he glanced about, wondering who the assigned pilot for this away team mission was.

The Runabout's rear hatch opened, and K'lizh strode out, slipping his tricorder into its holster. He had just finished performing a pre-flight check on the shuttlecraft's systems. Given the surprises already encountered on this mission, and the ones they would no doubt encounter once they reached the ship, he didn't want to risk any other surprises on their flight there. And honestly, after his experiences on Okekai, he was having a hard time shaking the paranoid belief that he was jinxed.

"Mister Solluk, Miss Jada," K'lizh greeted both good-naturedly, even though it hadn't been twenty minutes since he'd seen the Orion woman on the bridge. He had nothing but respect for Jada, but he thanked Mother that his hormonal suppressants protected him from the Orions' pheromones. Still, whoever had been in charge of assignments back in Starfleet clearly hadn't thought this through. K'lizh was no xenophobe, but some species just didn't mix well as a matter of biology. Like the Brikar and the Elaysians, who generally couldn't survive the heavier gravity that most other humanoid species required. Or the Xindi Aquatics, who couldn't serve aboard air-breather ships for obvious reasons. And so it was with Caitians, who generally did not function well around the more... pungent species.

He folded his hands behind his back and addressed the chief engineer. He knew very little about Solluk outside of their professional relationship, but it was obvious by the smell of him that he had an attraction for the Orion woman. Speaking of two species that he never thought compatible. But then... but then, he had been lately starting to question his feelings for a Gorn. "Solluk, I hope you don't mind going back to pilot's duty for this mission. I thought it would be... logical to consolidate tasks for this away team."

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Kintiss

[Shuttlebay]
A flustered Kintiss stepped out of the turbolift and made a beeline for the shuttlecraft. Maybe it was just him, but he'd begun to feel a bit off about the mission. To be fair, that was probably the result of a combination of embarrassment at getting lost coupled with missing a regular caffeine dose. He had been known to get a bit cranky when he was tired. Fortunately for everyone he had to share a tight, enclosed space with for a short time, he'd brought his caffeine supplement pills. While they were not preferable to a Raktajino by any means, Kintiss found they served his purpose.

"Are we all here?" he asked aloud as he stepped aboard the shuttlecraft and knocked back one of his caffeine supplements. It tasted awful, and the face he inadvertently pulled showed it. Several hundred years of medical practice and experimentation under their collective belts and Starfleet Medical still couldn't produce pills that people actually wanted to take. He was beginning to see why people avoided Sickbay. Forcing himself not to gag on the pill, Kintiss took his seat and waited for takeoff.

Jada

[Shuttle Bay]

'Sell it to the Ferengi?' Jada repeated in put-on shock. 'When the Rigel market for used starships is so good? When we could turn pirate ourselves? I reckon I could be a kick-ass pirate queen...' she ended wistfully, and not without genuine feeling. Piracy was still a prestigious profession among Orions.

"No one was more surprised than I at this outcome.  In a way, I feel that I cheated the system.  Between the time I spent training at the enlisted Academy, then serving on the Discovery, then here on the Tempest... it's been less than three years since I joined Starfleet.  There are cadets and Ensigns serving under me who put in four years at the Academy.  I am sure I am resented by some of them.

Jada shrugged, having had a similar surprisingly rapid advancement but had chosen not to dwell too much on it. 'Same here. I'm still young, in human terms, and haven't been at this more than two years, including Basic. I figured Starfleet took my time in the war into consideration; I made Assistant Head of Security back home by filling dead man's boots. And now here I am, Chief of Sec/Tac on a Galaxy and commanding old veterans like th'Rasdar. But no one resents an Orion, us greenskins are too loveable.' she decided lightheartedly. But Jada had made an effort to be chummy with her personnel and listen to their input and ideas to avoid that, following the well-trod road of Orion captains and clan chiefs. 'But Shadow Fleet generally has an accelerated promotion track, because of the suspiciously high turnover. I think it's to give the most promising personnel more experience, though I worry I don't have, um, time to consolidate and invest in my skills... Or maybe we're just the younger and edgier fleet.' she laughed.

Jada had a slight flush of orange at the compliment. 'Thanks. And I knew you could succeed in Engineering, you can do you whatever you set your mind to... Though I will miss you as my pilot.' she admitted with a grin.

Jada put on a blank expression. 'Who?'

But she couldn't elaborate or develop her deception before Commander K'lizh arrived. 'Commander K'lizh.' She used his rank rather than anything less formal, aware she was still enlisted and technically ranked below all these officers. She was committed to being an enlisted grunt, used to being a working lave, but had lately begun to consider making her position official by earning a commission. Maybe she was inspired by Solluk, or just wanted to compete. Or to meet family expectation. Besides, if s'Metra became an ensign and outranked her, she'd never live it down.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Kyle Briggs

Main Engineering

Quote from: Solluk on November 27, 2017, 10:05:15 AM

Main Engineering

=/\= Acknowledged. =/\=

Solluk turned to Ensign Martell, "You have Engineering until my return, Ensign.

To s'Metra and Garlande, he added, "Go ahead and run the simulation through a dozen times, then give it to Ensign Martell for implementation if the simulations turn out well.  Should the Tempest be required to leave or maneuver in haste, I want this algorithm ready to go.  Be sure to test it at combat velocities.  Whatever tremors we experience at reasonable speeds, they will be intensified at high-warp.  If the ship does need to make a high-speed escape, I do not want it to be shaken to destruction by gravimetric shear.  If more detailed gravimetric data comes from Stellar Cartography, be sure to plug it in."

With that, he made his way to Cargo Bay 2.

...Twenty minutes later, in the Shuttlebay

Solluk came into the shuttlebay, followed by two crewmen pushing two grav-sleds.  They might have beamed in with the gear, but Solluk was intent on preserving the ship's vast energy reserves... just in case trouble should find them.  The sleds were piled with commonly required spare parts and unusual tools, ensconced within various 1 meter crates.  In addition to this, Solluk was carrying his usual toolkit, which fit in a briefcase-sized box with handle.  He also had a diminutive type 1 hand-phaser clipped to his waist.

"Gentlemen, if you would load up the cargo, I'd be obliged," he said, and the two crewmen got to work loading crates into the cargo sections of a runabout.  Fortunately, the rear area of the runabout was quite capable of containing the cargo crates while the forward sections would provide comfortable seating for the away-team.

To Jada, he offered a smile.  "I hope you don't mind.  The Nebula class and the Galaxy share a 90% component similarity.  I decided to bring a few things that might be expected to break down over the course of a decade or two, in case their native spare-parts stores are compromised or inaccessible.  Although our latest readings show that the vessel is functional, there can be a long road from 'functional' to 'functioning well.'   I'd prefer to retrieve the ship rather than scuttle it, if at all possible."

He gestured to one of the crates.

"Some spare suits in there, too, in case the trouble is biological, or we have to perform an EVA for repair purposes."

More quietly, he added, "It will be good to work with you again, Jada."

"Aye, Sir." was all Robert replied as he watched the Chief head out of Engineering. As much as he'd have loved to been on the Away Team, Robert found he was slightly happier to stay in Engineering this go around. His last away mission had been a pain in the ass when he was still aboard the Challenger. He sat there with s'Metra and they ran and reran the simulations like the Chief had asked. And then, just for runs and puns, they ran it another dozen. They ran t with every variable they could throw at it and tweaked it as they went.

"I think we're on to something." he finally said to s'Metra with a grin. He wasn't sure why he smiled. He wasn't usually a friendly person but he had found it easy to relax around her. "We ready to hand it over to Martell?" he asked.

Solluk

Shuttlebay

Jada put on a blank expression. 'Who?'

Solluk wondered if he'd mispronounced the name, but then K'lizh appeared and told him he'd be the pilot for today's mission.

Solluk nodded, "It will be my... pleasure, Sir."  He hesitated only briefly at saying the word.  Vulcan taboos were slow to unlearn, even when they were pointless.

Heading into the Runabout to make his pre-flight checks, he paused and nodded at Kintiss, "Doctor."  Even after all this time, the Selayan made him just a little bit nervous.  This was compounded by the fact that the Doctor had a sour look on his face.  At least, Solluk thought so.  It could be hard to tell with reptilians.

Proceeding to the cockpit and having a seat, he brought up the pre-flight display and noted that it had already been performed... by K'lizh.  The pre-flight checks were something of a ritual for Solluk, and he'd been known to perform them multiple times before a takeoff.  However, he didn't want to offend the Ops department head by repeating his work.  Instead, he offered, "Thank you for completing pre-flight, Sir.  If you would take the auxiliary console, I'll need someone to interface with the computer of the Darwin so that we can access her shuttlebay door controls remotely when we arrive."

Hopefully, nobody had changed her prefix codes, or that could be a bit of a challenge.

Glancing over his shoulder, Solluk asked, "Has everyone assigned to the away team arrived?"

Jada

[Runabout]

Jada followed Solluk into the runabout and took a seat at the secondary tactical console just behind the cockpit seats. Solluk and K'lizh would no doubt need the main cockpit controls in order to approach and access the Darwin; Jada didn't expect a fight, but didn't plan to be out of her seat if one did break out. Besides, they might need to phaser their way into something.

'We're just waiting on Commander Hawk. And I suggested a counsellor to Captain Rellek.' Jada answered, whilst running her own systems check on phasers. 'I'll leave choosing the playlist to you this time, Mister Solluk.' she deadpanned. Their habit of playing in-flight music had become as much a part of flight routine as anything else.

Jada

Cadet s'Metra Nozama

[Main Engineering]

As Crewman Garlande ran the simulations and made his assessments, s'Metra tabulated the parameters and results, steadily exploring the parameter space and envelope of safe operation, until they had more successes than failures. Then she had the computer fit functions to the data. Regardless, this kind of heavy and repetitive data crunching, with long waits to compile and run, was tedious work, and s'Metra was soon growing restless and kicking her heels. Concentration came harder for her. She chatted aimlessly about the Tempest and what she'd seen so far.

So she was glad when it was done. 'Okay.' she agreed to Garlande, and packaged up the data and functions for Martell.

Klizh

Quote from: Solluk on November 28, 2017, 12:54:14 AM

Shuttlebay

Proceeding to the cockpit and having a seat, he brought up the pre-flight display and noted that it had already been performed... by K'lizh.  The pre-flight checks were something of a ritual for Solluk, and he'd been known to perform them multiple times before a takeoff.  However, he didn't want to offend the Ops department head by repeating his work.  Instead, he offered, "Thank you for completing pre-flight, Sir.  If you would take the auxiliary console, I'll need someone to interface with the computer of the Darwin so that we can access her shuttlebay door controls remotely when we arrive."

Hopefully, nobody had changed her prefix codes, or that could be a bit of a challenge.

Glancing over his shoulder, Solluk asked, "Has everyone assigned to the away team arrived?"

Pleasure. Now that was an unusual word to hear from a Vulcan. Maybe Solluk merited further familiarity down the line. Unlike how most humans seemed to do, he didn't take some perverse delight in challenging Vulcan lifestyles. Though he knew their race couldn't be completely homogenous, and there had to be some outliers running around, he had yet to ever meet one.

"You're welcome. I'm a bit eager to find out what's going on over there. I had a cousin who served aboard the Darwin. He was something of a personal hero," he said as he took the auxiliary console as recommended, opening up a bit, mostly to see how Solluk would react.

Quote from: Jada on November 28, 2017, 01:35:43 AM

[Runabout]

Jada followed Solluk into the runabout and took a seat at the secondary tactical console just behind the cockpit seats. Solluk and K'lizh would no doubt need the main cockpit controls in order to approach and access the Darwin; Jada didn't expect a fight, but didn't plan to be out of her seat if one did break out. Besides, they might need to phaser their way into something.

'We're just waiting on Commander Hawk. And I suggested a counsellor to Captain Rellek.' Jada answered, whilst running her own systems check on phasers. 'I'll leave choosing the playlist to you this time, Mister Solluk.' she deadpanned. Their habit of playing in-flight music had become as much a part of flight routine as anything else.

"In-flight music?" he asked, visibly perking up. "Are either of you fond of Earthen classical, or Caitian 'chase' music? I can make a few recommendations."

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Jada

[Runabout]

'Oh, I know some Earthian classical. Like AC/DC.' Jada remarked. 'I'd suggest Orion warp metal, but I might be thrown out the airlock.'

Ian Galloway

[Bridge]

Ian sat at the conn station and frowned.

"Bah, I hate bloody waitin'. I'd rather have too much goin' than nae enough."

He thought as he stated at the Darwin again and entered a few commands on his console to set up a simulator. "Might as well prepare for the worst." He entered the parameters of the Nebula and Galaxy class so that he could game out some strategies should the Darwin not be under friendly control. As he compared the two designs he frowned again.

"Bloody good ship the Nebula. Fortunately, the Darwin has the sensor pod and not the weapons pod or we could have a real fight on our hands."

After Ian ran the simulation a few more times and felt that he had a grasp on how to grapple the potential encounter.

"Nebula is smaller and turns better, but we have more firepower and better shields. Why, this is no different than a P-40 versus a Nate. If it comes ta it, the Darwin is goin' ta come up short."

Solluk

Runabout Tigris, in the Shuttlebay

"I did not realize what a personal mission this is for you, Sir," Solluk said to the Caitian, "It is not logical to think that we will discover your cousin alive..."  He paused, thinking.  "But perhaps there is more to the universe than logic."

When the topic of music came up, Solluk considered the proposed options.

"I do not think high-intensity music is correct for this mission.  Perhaps something more graceful.  With a brief initial note of suspense and trepidation about what the future may hold.  But we should allow that the trepidation may dissolve into hope and joy, as the dance of our discoveries reveals not horrors, but grateful truths."

He glanced at the others, then said, "Computer, please load The Blue Danube, as performed by 2376's First Andorian Symphonic Orchestra during their live Tour and Concert at Mount Selaya."

Slowly, the notes of the waltz began to fill the cabin.

"I heard this played live when I was young," he said softly, "The First Andorian Orchestra made a tour of the founding Federation worlds in an effort to bring some happiness in the wake of war.  Perhaps also to show what had been preserved by victory, even while so much was lost.  When I heard this, it made me... feel."

A shameful admission in his native homeland, he felt he could say it here without judgment.

Jada

[USS Tigris]

It was good to be back on the Tigris. Solluk seemed to have worked on her enough that the engines purred and the ride was smooth as silk, while keeping the weapons sharp and accurate.

'Logic is fine, but emotion is useful.' Jada had remarked after Solluk's words to K'lizh, and promised 'I hope we'll find your cousin.' She could understand what he might be feeling, not knowing what they might find over there. She'd lost a few people in the war or in the jungle, their fates unknown but hard to guess at. But, whatever they discovered, it would surely be a resolution to a two-decade-old grief for this family.

Unseen, Jada smiled at Solluk's back. He was such a poet. Jada's ears pricked up as the music filled the cabin. 'This is Andorian music?' she wondered, 'Wait, the Blue Danube, on a Danube-class runabout?' Maybe Solluk's inspiration had been a bit simpler than he'd described. Yet she could feel the gentle tune sway her. 'That's a good feeling.' she agreed with Solluk.

Kyle Briggs

[Main Engineering]

Quote from: Jada on November 28, 2017, 01:48:09 AM

Cadet s'Metra Nozama

As Crewman Garlande ran the simulations and made his assessments, s'Metra tabulated the parameters and results, steadily exploring the parameter space and envelope of safe operation, until they had more successes than failures. Then she had the computer fit functions to the data. Regardless, this kind of heavy and repetitive data crunching, with long waits to compile and run, was tedious work, and s'Metra was soon growing restless and kicking her heels. Concentration came harder for her. She chatted aimlessly about the Tempest and what she'd seen so far.

So she was glad when it was done. 'Okay.' she agreed to Garlande, and packaged up the data and functions for Martell.

A few moments later, they had all the compiled data for a final project packaged up. Robert keyed in a few commands and it was all sent over to the main console that Martell was working on. "Everything's right there, Sir." Robert said as he heard the beep that verified it's delivery. "If there's anything else you need, please just let us know. If it's okay with you, we're gonna take a small break." Martell gave a slight nod as he brought up his view screen. Robert turned back to s'Metra. "Would you like to join me in the Mess Hall for a quick bite?" he asked the Cadet. "It'll take him a bit to go over all of it."

Julia Rellek

[Bridge]

=/\= "Ensign Waters, please report to the Shuttlebay for an away mission." =/\=

Julia looked around as the bridge became noticeably quiet. "Well, i guess it's just the two of us now Ian." She said with a chuckle. A she spoke tertiary officers began to trickle onto the bridge.

=/\= "Bridge to Tigris, you are clear for launch. Good luck out there." =/\=

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.