S2 M4: Effigy

Started by Julia Rellek, November 06, 2017, 10:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia Rellek

[Captains Quarters - 05:45]

Julia sat at the desk in her quarters with her coffee cupped in her two hands. She found her mind drifting off in the events that took place on Okekai. It wasn't hard to imagine her own world, Earth, in such a political bind. She thought about the world during WWIII and wondered if the political turmoil was similar. Julia pulled her robe in tighter almost using it to give herself a tight embrace.

"Computer, begin log." She said coughing and clearing her throat.

Captain's log, we are nearing an uncharted nebula and I was hopeful that we would get a chance to explore. Based on the most recent communique I recieved, it looks like we're going to get a good look. Apparently we are nearing the last known location of the USS Darwin. The Darwin has been long believed to be among the first casualties of the Dominion back before the start of the war. She was a long range research vessel taking the first glimpse into this space. The last transmission they sent said they were under attack and seeking refuge in, what we believe, the nebula we are nearing. I received orders this morning to attempt to locate the remains of the vessel and take it home, if possible. We are also hoping to piece together their final days. Although a somber mission, it will be a welcomed retreat from the intense situation we are leaving on Okekai.

End log.

Julia set her coffee on her desk and laid her head against the head rest as she prepared to start her day.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Kyle Briggs

[Engineering - 05:57]

Robert was pretty excited to get back out in space. He had been on the base waiting to get picked up by the Tempest after his transfer from the Challenger. Not only had he changed ships but departments as well. He had studied in both Operations and Engineering back on Mars and had been slightly disappointed when he had been assigned Ops originally. But now he was in the Engineering Department and was ready to go. He stood at the main console and began running the daily level five diagnostic routines that got ran at the beginning of every shift. He had yet to meet his new Superior Officer but had read what he could find on him once he had learned his name. Apparently, he too was a department switcher coming from Flight.

He took a few moments to reflect on his prior mission with the Challenger. He had once again, found himself in a jail cell. And then, if that hadn't been enough, he was then placed on a Romulan vessel with a Doctor, no less, in charge. Truth be told, he was rather surprised to have made it out of that one alive. He had taken some time, while on the base, to contact his brother, Raphael. He was doing well and had just gotten promoted. Unlike Robert, Raph had gotten to go the Commissioned route. Of course, Robert had no one to blame but himself giving his background. Eh. Screw'em. he thought. He lived his life the way he wanted and no one could tell him different. He picked up his glass of Bajoran Jumja tea and silently waited on the rest of the crew to arrive.

Solluk

[Main Engineering]

It happened faster than a biological mind could fathom.

A burst of particles and antiparticles, fired at a significant fraction of lightspeed.  They converged on a perfectly aligned and continuously recrystallized shard of dilithium.  Permeable to low-weight atomic particles, the dilithium allowed the matter and antimatter to meet and indulge in an orgy of mutual annihilation.  The byproduct of their collision was a high-energy plasma, directed with precision out of the dilithium crystal and into a magnetically reinforced electro-plasma shunt.

The majority of the plasma was transported from there to the warp nacelles, where their supercharged state allowed a series of massive verterium cortenide coils to become energized, creating a powerful subspace displacement field.  In addition to submerging most of the ship's mass into a subspace domain, the displacement field warped the very fabric of space itself:  Contracting it ahead of the ship, while encouraging it to stretch out behind them.

Mass-lightened, the Tempest squeezed through the fabric of spacetime at roughly forty-thousand percent of the speed of light.  Doing this just once, and for a single instant, would have been amazing.  But the Tempest did this constantly- for hours, for days, for weeks, and even for months.  It did it routinely, without incident, hammering the laws of the universe upon the anvil of the warp core, sacrificing the impossibility of faster-than-light travel within the holy altar of the Engine Room.

And now, this symphony of universe-altering magic was Solluk's to command.

Although he understood the underpinnings of subspace theory, and though he could rebuild every component of this amazing machine if it should become necessary to do so... the reality of the miracles it accomplished had failed to become mundane to him.

It was illogical, of course.  Warp travel was no more mysterious or supernatural than 1+1=2.  In fact, a sufficiently large sequence of very basic arithmetic could completely explain the process.  And yet, Solluk felt a sense of wonder as profound as that of an ancient Vulcan who somehow obtained a glimpse of Khosarr hammering his enchanted lirpa into its deadly shape upon the Vulcan Forge.

It was only with effort that he drew his gaze away from the bright, thrumming marvel, which he had paused to admire upon leaving the Chief Engineer's office.  "Ensign Martell, Engineering is yours."

The young Ensign- newly minted- snapped to attention and responded with a crisp, "Yes, Sir."

Solluk almost smiled at the young human, but contained himself as he made his way to the exit.

Then, pausing in his departure, he noticed the presence of a crewman.  One of the new arrivals, it was someone he had not had the opportunity to speak to, yet.  The crewman had come aboard on the same craft that had taken Commander Briggs away.  The Tempest had exchanged one of its highest-ranking members for one of its lowest.

"Mister Garlande, is it not," Solluk called out to the young man.  The fellow had apparently made himself at home with a beverage of hot tea. "I am on my way to keep an appointment, but would value some words with you.  Would you care to walk with me?" 

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Octavia Phae

[USS Tempest - Deck 33]

Inside her quarters Octavia Phae sat in the desk chair with the soles of her feet firmly on the edge of the desk painting her toe nails a shiny black to match her already painted fingernails. She was dressed in a form fitting white tee shirt with the NCC - 71863 written in bold black letters across the chest; and loose fit dark gray fleece sweatpants with a duel thin stripes on the sides in the yellow-gold of her division color. She wasn't due to be on duty today and so she had nothing planned other then lounging about her quarters and heading to the ships lounge later to grab some food.

Her quarters are rather small with a bunk bed just a few feet away on the opposite side of the desk. The top bunk belonged to her roommate Crewman Lott, a tall slender Bolian female who was currently on duty. This allowed Octavia to play her music loud over the rooms internal speakers instead of wearing headphones. Lott couldn't stand Octavia's taste in music which was a style from her home planet of Betazed characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Back home everyone she knew her age listened to that genre of music.

Jada

[Deck 10, Forward]

'I can't believe you bagged a mermaid!' s'Metra exclaimed, laughing.

'Merman. And maybe keep it down?' Jada made urgent shushing motions before her disappointingly short list of conquests was aired to all the crew. Sharing exploits might be natural between close Orion women, but it didn't have to be shared. That was why they were in the far corner of Ten Forward, sharing breakfasts and stories.

s'Metra looked quizzically at Jada. 'What's the difference?'

'A mer-maid is female, a mer-man is male. It's Earthian.'

Understanding dawned. 'Oh, right... But that doesn't matter so much to you, does it?'

'Well, not this season, anyway. But Vish was male.' Jada explained testily, feeling that point was significant. She'd been with Vish every day and night he'd been aboard, spending so much time in his flooded guest quarters she'd almost developed paddy foot. Worth it, though. She didn't know when she'd next see the chance to get her end away, or see Vish. They had a lot in common and got on easily; he'd be a good friend, ally, and potential booty-call next time she was on DS9 or wherever the exiles pitched up. She was sad to see him leave on the ship that took the Okekai exiles away. And leave her instead with s'Metra. 'And no, I didn't get to meet a mermaid.' Though she was curious... 'Besides, they're not mermaids. They're Falrios: two legs, no tail.'

'I'm sure that was a relief!' s'Metra giggled, then burst back into her previous disbelief. 'And I still can't believe you met yourself!'

Jada threw a grape at her. 'She was a Shadow from the Mirror Universe, completely unrelated.'

But s'Metra was still giggling, even as she tried to sober up and say 'As your cousin, should I be worried, now you're intoÁ¢â,¬"?' Jada clamped a hand over her laughing mouth, not sure whether to be cringing embarrassed or laugh herself, and certainly regretting admitting it, ever. Yeah, that had happened. Another one for Jada's short and sometimes embarrassing list of conquests.

Hurriedly, she changed the topic. 'And you, are you seeing anyone?' she asked with a nudging tone.

s'Metra turned coy all of a sudden. 'Well, I'm working on some investments at the Academy...'

Jada smiled knowingly. 'Aha, don't cash in until you're absolutely sure, okay? Better things come to those who wait for the right first sale.'

'Pfft. If I waited like you, I'd be an old hag, like you... Hey, I saw this cute Vulcan shuttle pilot you should ask outÁ¢â,¬"'

'No!'

'Á¢â,¬"T'Prol? Yeah, you're right, Vulcans are frigid...'

Cadet s'Metra Nozama had come on board with the recent crew transfers. In the second year of Starfleet Academy, allegedly studying physics in the Science division, she'd selected a practical field assignment, reasoning it was an easier way to earn course credit than repeating the Statistical Mechanics unit she'd failed gloriously. She'd elected to serve it on her big cousin Jada's ship, the Tempest, largely due to pressure by family and clan elders in the belief that (a) Jada would get lonely or rootless in the Outer Dark without another Orion and (b) s'Metra sure as the Nine Hells needed Jada's guiding hand and/or fist. If only they'd known, they might have reconsidered.

s'Metra was smaller at five-foot nothing and slender where Jada was muscular, but there was a certainly family and ethnic resemblance in their faces. But where Jada was more serious and guarded, and had adopted the habits of Orion men, s'Metra was light-hearted and high-spirited and pretty, a conventional Orion woman. She'd dyed shoulder-length hair snow-white to stand out more than even her green skin did. Somehow, she'd even turned a cadet's uniform into a crop top.

Only a few years separated them, but s'Metra had been too young to be sold as a slave before the war had broken out and dried up buyers, and Jada had fought so family like s'Metra and her little brother Rallin would not have to. Jada didn't resent them for this, she'd been proud to. But s'Metra, Rallin, and the younger generation had only known freedom, then come to the Federation and been told they could do whatever they wanted to. What kind of lesson was that for a child? Jada was concerned they hadn't learned responsibility and discipline as a result.

'Have you met your department head yet?'

'Nope. Figure I'll bump into him on my first day.'

's'Metra! You should've prepared. At least know who your boss is. It's how you make yourself known, build a good rep.'

'Ugh. Why've you always got to be the responsible one? Besides, I trust to the genuineness of first impressions.' she lied, poorly. 'Okay, fine, tell me about him.'

'Chief Naga Rylu? Little old Bajoran man, grey hair, expert in comparative ornithology. Very sweet, the kind of person you can wrap around your finger with a green smile...'

'Aha, gotcha...'

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Isabella Waters

[Counselor's Office]

Izzy was finally getting use to the Tempest. Her office was perfectly arranged just the way she liked it. She had always been a very neat and tidy person, from her appearance to any space she lived or worked it, they were always spotless and her new office was no exception. Her desk only had a few things on it including a pen, a single PADD, her computer, and a physical notebook. Up to this point she'd had a few sessions with even fewer crew members. The truth was that at the rate she was moving it would take years to get to know just the senior officers, not to mention the junior officers. Still, today she didn't have any pre-scheduled appointments, so unless someone walked in she was going to be alone for some time.

Ian Galloway

[Bridge]

Ian sat at the Conn station of the Tempest with a dopey grin and was absently humming the chorus that the ship's cultural database would identify as "Love Bizarre" which had stuck in his head after the night he'd spent with Lieutenant Fellows. The ship was on course and didn't require any input from him, which left his mind time to wander.

"Goin' ta go look fer a ship missin' fer more'n 20 years. What could possibly go wrong with this mission? One would have ta hope he couldn't go worse than the last one, but with our bloody luck, I'm sure it will find a way."

He thought morosely. Ian didn't like to lose and the last mission was the very definition of losing, which had darkened his usual demeanor. Not that he showed it externally, but internally, he was still angry and that was unlikely to change until something extraordinarily positive came along to brighten his affect.

Kyle Briggs

[Main Engineering]

Quote from: Solluk on November 07, 2017, 12:25:49 AM

"Mister Garlande, is it not," Solluk called out to the young man.  The fellow had apparently made himself at home with a beverage of hot tea. "I am on my way to keep an appointment, but would value some words with you.  Would you care to walk with me?"

Galande turned at the sound of his name. He had gotten a chance to read over the Engineering staff at least before transferring and he quickly recognized the owner of the voice as being the Chief Engineer. Robert keyed in the last few requests he was working on and turned toward the Lieutenant. "Sure thing, Sir." was all he said as he followed the man out the door and fell into step beside him.

Solluk

[Turbolift]

Solluk slowed his pace to the turbolift as Crewman Garlande fell in with him.  "Thank you for joining me, Mister Garlande.  I regret that I did not find the opportunity to greet you properly upon your initial arrival.  There was some work to be done in addressing the transfer of responsibility between Commander Briggs and myself."

Although Briggs had only been with the Tempest a short time, Solluk had made an effort to soak up all the knowledge he could gather between mission events.  He had understood right away that Briggs was a man destined to climb the proverbial ladder.  His only regret was that he hadn't had the chance to learn more from him before the man's inevitable promotion materialized.

Solluk's promotion- not nearly so inevitable- had materialized as well.  Though he would not admit it to many, he felt a sense of pride in it.  Such a position as Chief Engineer was well outside the realm of anything he might have considered possible when he'd joined Starfleet.

Arriving at the turbolift station and summoning a car, Solluk felt the need to elaborate further for the crewman.  "Commander Briggs was our former Chief of Engineering, and has moved on to duties as an Executive officer.  On the Challenger, I believe.  One of your former postings, if memory serves.  How did you find it there?"

The turbolift arrived empty, and Solluk stepped within.  "Counselor's Office," he directed, finding it simpler than declaring a deck and section number.  He made sure to hold the door until Mister Garlande was aboard as well.

James H. Hawk

[Bridge]

James let out a slight yawn as he sat in the centre seat. He probably shouldn't have but it had so far been a boring shift but at least he was no longer in the middle of a political conspiracy and coup. James still thought about the events on Okekai. What could the Dominion's active efforts to gain control of Okekai mean for the quadrant? Is there a war brewing? The Tempest's next mission was fitting. A reminder of the price of war, or rather a warning.

"Report, Mr. Galloway?" James asked in a more laid back tone. There probably wasn't much to report but James was bored. This was one of the downsides of being XO, the long and uneventful watch shifts. But, then again, at least they weren't been shot at.

Ian Galloway

Quote from: James H. Hawk on November 08, 2017, 12:55:29 AM

[Bridge]

James let out a slight yawn as he sat in the centre seat. He probably shouldn't have but it had so far been a boring shift but at least he was no longer in the middle of a political conspiracy and coup. James still thought about the events on Okekai. What could the Dominion's active efforts to gain control of Okekai mean for the quadrant? Is there a war brewing? The Tempest's next mission was fitting. A reminder of the price of war, or rather a warning.

"Report, Mr. Galloway?" James asked in a more laid back tone. There probably wasn't much to report but James was bored. This was one of the downsides of being XO, the long and uneventful watch shifts. But, then again, at least they weren't been shot at.

[Bridge]

Ian blinked out of his revelry and straightened in his seat.

"Sir, we are on course and at warp six per subspace protection protocols. We are on course with three hours and twenty minutes remaining before we reach our destination. All propulsion and navigation systems are nominal."

Kyle Briggs

Quote from: Solluk on November 07, 2017, 11:35:13 PM

[Turbolift]

Solluk slowed his pace to the turbolift as Crewman Garlande fell in with him.  "Thank you for joining me, Mister Garlande.  I regret that I did not find the opportunity to greet you properly upon your initial arrival.  There was some work to be done in addressing the transfer of responsibility between Commander Briggs and myself."

Although Briggs had only been with the Tempest a short time, Solluk had made an effort to soak up all the knowledge he could gather between mission events.  He had understood right away that Briggs was a man destined to climb the proverbial ladder.  His only regret was that he hadn't had the chance to learn more from him before the man's inevitable promotion materialized.

Solluk's promotion- not nearly so inevitable- had materialized as well.  Though he would not admit it to many, he felt a sense of pride in it.  Such a position as Chief Engineer was well outside the realm of anything he might have considered possible when he'd joined Starfleet.

Arriving at the turbolift station and summoning a car, Solluk felt the need to elaborate further for the crewman.  "Commander Briggs was our former Chief of Engineering, and has moved on to duties as an Executive officer.  On the Challenger, I believe.  One of your former postings, if memory serves.  How did you find it there?"

The turbolift arrived empty, and Solluk stepped within.  "Counselor's Office," he directed, finding it simpler than declaring a deck and section number.  He made sure to hold the door until Mister Garlande was aboard as well.

Robert wasn't one for small talk but he had come to understand the need some had for it, so he did his best.

"Yes, Sir. The Challenger was my first posting. I was only on it for a very short time but I have no complaints about it. For the most part, the crew seemed competent." he offered. He wasn't sure if he was suppose to follow the Lieutenant into the lift or not until he saw the other man hold the doors for him. More small talk. he thought as he stepped in.
He heard the order for the Counselor's Office. "Is everything okay, Lieutenant?" he asked his newest Supervisor.

Solluk

Turbolift

"Is everything okay, Lieutenant?"

Solluk arched a brow, and then realized the man was referring to his destination.  He hadn't considered the impression such a destination might leave, and felt a flush of embarrassment.  He tried to cover it.

"Yes, quite.  It is beneficial to regularly visit the medical professionals aboard ship.  You should not feel the need to limit your interactions with them to moments when you are in crisis.  I have found, for instance, that the counseling services are invaluable to assist in the processing of everyday emotions.  I hope you will feel free to make use of them whenever you find yourself in need."

The turbolift began its motion- vertical, and lateral.  As the topic of conversation had taken an uncomfortable turn, Solluk mentally urged the car along as though his will could hurry its progress.

Meanwhile, he continued in his 'welcome aboard' speech.  "I also hope you will feel free to come to me with any questions or concerns you may have.  Or for any advice you may need.  When I first came aboard the Tempest, I had the good fortune to serve as crewman under Ian Galloway, who proved to be a receptive and encouraging department head.  I hope to continue his best practices in the Engineering Department, fostering a sense of teamwork and even of family."

The car came to a halt and the doors opened at the turbolift station closest to the counselor's office.   "Well... this is my destination.  Welcome aboard, Mister Garlande.  I will not keep you any longer from your duties."  He placed a foot in the threshold to keep the door open, and then extended his hand to shake that of the human's. 

Kintiss

[Sickbay]

Kintiss had put this off long enough, mostly for the sake of the crew. It was time, he reckoned, to enact that cruelest of cruel punishments. It was his solemn duty to carry out that which only a Starfleet medical officer could conduct: ship-wide physical evaluations!

He'd spent long enough observing the crew and getting a feel for the kind of missions they were being sent by the higher-ups to judge a baseline for medical fitness, and it was up to him to see which of the crew were up to scratch, and to provide advice for those who weren't quite meeting the standard. This was also the time when many crews came to dislike seeing their doctor, though he couldn't imagine why.

For the last couple of days, he had been amassing the most up-to-date versions of the crew's medical files as he could get his hands on, and he felt he was ready to begin. But how to start? Did he start at the bottom and work his way up to the command staff, or prioritise the leaders of the ship? It was a tough question and he wasn't exactly sure how to proceed. This would require a bit more deliberation. Perhaps over a timely Raktajino.

Julia Rellek

[Bridge]

Julia stepped onto the bridge with two PADDs and coffee in tow. Albeit a somber mission she was looking forward to solving a long held Starfleet mystery. "Good morning gentlemen." Julia said with a smile as she stepped down the ramp to the center of the bridge. Setting her coffee and PADDs near her seat she looked to Ian. "Commander, can you please go ahead and use the data we have to create a search grid of that nebula. I want to be ready for this when we arrive."

Sitting in her chair she looked to James. "Seems like a good day to solve a mystery." She added. She handed James a PADD. "Here's all of the details on the Darwin and known information regarding her loss." She added.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.