Athena Mission 2.9: Perfect Paradise

Started by James Carter, November 01, 2017, 12:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on December 23, 2017, 01:39:45 AM

[Copernicus Landing Site]

Naira looked up from her seated position and offered the other woman a weak smile. "Yes Commander, everything is fine. I just need to sit for a moment. I didn't get enough sleep, I skipped a meal or two and I've been on my feet all day. I'll be fine, there's no need to worry about me. Let's focus on getting all our people back safely."

Katheryn smiled back when the XO responded to her question and could relate to how she felt with the lack of sleep, skipped meals and being on her feet all day as it had happened a couple of times when she had been on duty and no doubt would happen again as things continued with her current condition. However she was glad to hear that she was okay as it was natural for Katheryn to be concerned when it came to others and understood the importance of making sure everyone was safe and accounted for.

" I can understand with that but glad your okay and I agree let's focus on making sure everyone is safe and I'll report in once my team and I double check the perimeter " she replied gesturing for Cole and Richards to follow her.

They didn't waste any time in reaching the edge of the camp and began checking it over, trying not to worry when she couldn't immediately see any sign of Caleb, Baker, Ed and Al.

Academy Commandant

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Non-Playing Character 1 on December 22, 2017, 11:21:14 PM

[Unknown Planet - Forest]

Without words, without sound, their numbers encircled the small group. They moved as one, when they closed in on the strangers. Their long fingers wrapped around flesh and bone as they pulled the strangers into themselves. Their minds became one as a bombardment of brilliant shades of color and light flashed before their eyes.

The strangers would be made to listen and to understand.

[ Unknown Planet - Forest ]

Caleb's heart pounded as he and the away crew felt something coming closer. There was a tingle on his skin as he reached for his phaser. When he did so his hand trembled as the world around him was fading. "Al... Ed... Baker... Report! Can you hear me?" Caleb said. His voice echoed in the darkness. The world that was slowly fading to black, came alive in in a brilliance of colour and light. It was something that he had never seen before, yet seemed familiar.

His mind thought of the northern lights. One year, his parents took him and Jenna to the north pole back home and showed them the lights. The moment of comfort was a deep memory he hadn't even told Katheryn about. His brain began to click that the beings were using telepathy. They were using the good memory of his to show what they needed to say. The lights were not hostile in nature and moved like moon jelly fish under a black light in water. "I think I am starting to understand,"As Caleb spoke, the area where he thought he was echoed. The light changed to a shade of blue that was his favorite color. "I am trying my best to understand you.. Before he knew it, the colours had changed and so did the landscape. A field of green appeared all around him. It  swayed in motion with the wind. As best he could tell it was almost if it was grass. The sky was crystal blue. He then saw shades of red begin to ensnare the once lush landscape around him. As it got closer the green turned to brown and then to ash.

"No No... Please understand... we are not here for that. As much as the other visitors may have lied... we are here to observe for research. If anyone understands that the land need to be preserved, I do. I spent a while practicing medicine in the jungles. We respected the land as much as we used it to help those who are sick. Let me speak for you so that we can both come to an understanding," Caleb said. It was in that moment that everything was coming back to normal. Everyone in the group looked at one another. They were glad to be alive and knew they had to speak to their crew immediately. "Please come with us. If you feel safer at a distance we can understand, but if we are to help one another, I will need at least one to be with me. I know I cannot see you, but merely touch my wrist and I will know you are there, " Caleb said.

[ Unknown Planet - Copernicus Landing Site ]

The group had arrived quickly to the site. "Katheryn... Naira.... I need to speak with you both immediately about an urgent manner. I have met the natives and they wish to communicate. They have an urgent message," Caleb said once he got in range for Katheryn and Naira to hear him.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Naira

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on December 26, 2017, 09:02:16 PM

[ Unknown Planet - Forest ]

Caleb's heart pounded as he and the away crew felt something coming closer. There was a tingle on his skin as he reached for his phaser. When he did so his hand trembled as the world around him was fading. "Al... Ed... Baker... Report! Can you hear me?" Caleb said. His voice echoed in the darkness. The world that was slowly fading to black, came alive in in a brilliance of colour and light. It was something that he had never seen before, yet seemed familiar.

His mind thought of the northern lights. One year, his parents took him and Jenna to the north pole back home and showed them the lights. The moment of comfort was a deep memory he hadn't even told Katheryn about. His brain began to click that the beings were using telepathy. They were using the good memory of his to show what they needed to say. The lights were not hostile in nature and moved like moon jelly fish under a black light in water. "I think I am starting to understand,"As Caleb spoke, the area where he thought he was echoed. The light changed to a shade of blue that was his favorite color. "I am trying my best to understand you.. Before he knew it, the colours had changed and so did the landscape. A field of green appeared all around him. It  swayed in motion with the wind. As best he could tell it was almost if it was grass. The sky was crystal blue. He then saw shades of red begin to ensnare the once lush landscape around him. As it got closer the green turned to brown and then to ash.

"No No... Please understand... we are not here for that. As much as the other visitors may have lied... we are here to observe for research. If anyone understands that the land need to be preserved, I do. I spent a while practicing medicine in the jungles. We respected the land as much as we used it to help those who are sick. Let me speak for you so that we can both come to an understanding," Caleb said. It was in that moment that everything was coming back to normal. Everyone in the group looked at one another. They were glad to be alive and knew they had to speak to their crew immediately. "Please come with us. If you feel safer at a distance we can understand, but if we are to help one another, I will need at least one to be with me. I know I cannot see you, but merely touch my wrist and I will know you are there, " Caleb said.

The group had arrived quickly to the site. "Katheryn... Naira.... I need to speak with you both immediately about an urgent manner. I have met the natives and they wish to communicate. They have an urgent message," Caleb said once he got in range for Katheryn and Naira to hear him.

As soon as the medical team came into sight, Naira could tell that there was something off about them. They appeared pale, sweaty, a few of them even seemed to walk in awkward jerky motions or speak in a way that seemed almost unnatural for them to do so.

She ran over to greet them with her tricorder in hand. She took a moment to wave over the nearby security officers securing the border of the camp and motioned for them to position themselves in such a way as to keep the medical team confined to the border.

"What happened out there?" She asked what appeared to be Dr. Brighton. Until her scans were complete, she had to treat these individuals as if they were imposters. Such was protocol.

When her tricorder beeped, she called to the nearby Commander Carter, "Be careful, this is not entirely Lieutenant Brighton and his team. Well, it appears to be them, but there's also something else in there. The scan can't completely identify it."   

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on December 26, 2017, 09:02:16 PM

Quote from: Naira on December 27, 2017, 03:17:14 AM

When her tricorder beeped, she called to the nearby Commander Carter, "Be careful, this is not entirely Lieutenant Brighton and his team. Well, it appears to be them, but there's also something else in there. The scan can't completely identify it."

Katheryn was feeling antsy as her and her team continued to scour the perimeter for any sign of Caleb and the others with them. Getting to the point where she was going to report in to Naira and discuss their next steps when she heard her husband to be's voice and saw the XO run over to greet them with her tricorder. Nodding to Cole and Richards when Naira motioned for them to re position themselves nearer the medical team understanding the reasoning behind it especially with the news that they had met the natives and communicating with them.

However when Naira then called to her and told her to be careful as it wasn't entirely Caleb and his team naturally she was concerned as both a Security Officer and being Caleb's partner. The thought of it not being him or at the very least having something inside him that the scans couldn't completely identify scared her slightly but would do everything she could to help them.

She walked over and stood next to Naira and looked at Caleb, knowing if it was him that he would understand the look she gave him but knew that she also had to say something. " What do they want to tell us and have they hurt you in any way?".

Academy Commandant

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Naira on December 27, 2017, 03:17:14 AM

"What happened out there?" She asked what appeared to be Dr. Brighton. Until her scans were complete, she had to treat these individuals as if they were imposters. Such was protocol.

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on December 27, 2017, 03:31:45 AM

She walked over and stood next to Naira and looked at Caleb, knowing if it was him that he would understand the look she gave him but knew that she also had to say something. " What do they want to tell us and have they hurt you in any way?".

"First I do want to get out of the way that we are not hurt," Caleb began. "We are more calming down from being startled than anything. While exploring the forest sticking closely together, we encountered the locals. They have a non verbal way of communication and wished us to communicate for them. Please know that they will not harm us. If I detected any ill will I would already have had them stunned by now. They also exist in a way that they cannot be seen until they contact us physically. It's kind of like Starfire in the old earth version of Teen Titans where she needed to kiss Robin in order for her to learn earth speech."

He let the simile sink in for a moment. What was strange was he could perceive the beings nearby him much better. He had no name for them yet, at least one that could be interpreted verbally. They were still not physically able to be seen. He wondered if they existed on a different part of the electromagnetic spectrum where his eyes could not interpret their form. It was scary, liberating,  and informative what he then knew. He had told the beings that unless he was speaking incorrectly, that they should not touch any member of the away party to directly communicate. The message needed to be delivered quickly and easily. There was much benefit to be had with both parties involved.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Naira

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on December 27, 2017, 09:16:49 PM

"First I do want to get out of the way that we are not hurt," Caleb began. "We are more calming down from being startled than anything. While exploring the forest sticking closely together, we encountered the locals. They have a non verbal way of communication and wished us to communicate for them. Please know that they will not harm us. If I detected any ill will I would already have had them stunned by now. They also exist in a way that they cannot be seen until they contact us physically. It's kind of like Starfire in the old earth version of Teen Titans where she needed to kiss Robin in order for her to learn earth speech."

He let the simile sink in for a moment. What was strange was he could perceive the beings nearby him much better. He had no name for them yet, at least one that could be interpreted verbally. They were still not physically able to be seen. He wondered if they existed on a different part of the electromagnetic spectrum where his eyes could not interpret their form. It was scary, liberating,  and informative what he then knew. He had told the beings that unless he was speaking incorrectly, that they should not touch any member of the away party to directly communicate. The message needed to be delivered quickly and easily. There was much benefit to be had with both parties involved.

Naira kept her hands in plain sight before her. She made slow movements and tried to speak calmly to the medical team. She wasn't sure how much influence over them the alien species had, but she wanted to be sure that she came off in a non-threatening way while trying to communicate with them. The last thing they needed would be for a simple misunderstanding to turn into a deadly firefight.

"What is it that they want, Dr. Brighton?"

While she knew that some of the security crewmen might be a little uncomfortable lowering their phasers while in the presence of an alien entity that they knew nothing about, she hoped that they would take a cue from her to lower their weapons until such time that they may be needed.

"Crewman Ozu, did you have any luck reaching the other shuttle?"

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on December 27, 2017, 09:16:49 PM

Katheryn was relieved to hear that Caleb and the others hadn't been hurt in any way and listened as he explained more about the natives and how they communicated and how they existed. Managing a brief smile at the Teen Titans reference and knew it was definitely Cal talking. Understanding exactly what he meant and now it was all about listening to what they had to say and of course ensuring the safety of those they were using to communicate with them without causing any issues.

Seeing the XO keeping her hands in plain sight and making small movements to speak to Caleb knowing that she didn't want to come across as threatening in any way so she followed suit, giving her officers a look to do the same as she didn't want any gestures to be mistaken for threatening behaviour. Then she returned her focus to what was going on and waited for Cal to tell them more.

Academy Commandant

Ozu Saya

Saya was inside the Copernicus, trying to establish a secure connection between the two shuttlecraft when she heard the new voices outside. She paused and listened for a moment, hearing Dr. Brighton's explanation of the locals, then redoubled her efforts, not trusting in their supposed goodwill.

She jumped when Commander Naira addressed her.

Quote from: Naira on December 28, 2017, 01:16:28 AM

"Crewman Ozu, did you have any luck reaching the other shuttle?"

'No, ma'am. I have not yet received any response. I'm not certain if there is a problem with the connection or if no one is able to respond.'

She tapped a few more keys, then dropped to the floor of the shuttle, removing the front panel from the communication station. Reaching for a handspanner, she ducked her head inside the workings, searching for any problems with the communication array.

Vulcan-Bajoran Hybrid; 5'2"
Domen Kyo: Bajoran; 6'6"
George Hugo: Human; 6'6"
Eviess Aihai Annhw: Romulan-Human Hybrid; 5'

Naira

Quote from: Ozu Saya on December 28, 2017, 09:29:18 AM

Saya was inside the Copernicus, trying to establish a secure connection between the two shuttlecraft when she heard the new voices outside. She paused and listened for a moment, hearing Dr. Brighton's explanation of the locals, then redoubled her efforts, not trusting in their supposed goodwill.

She jumped when Commander Naira addressed her.

'No, ma'am. I have not yet received any response. I'm not certain if there is a problem with the connection or if no one is able to respond.'

She tapped a few more keys, then dropped to the floor of the shuttle, removing the front panel from the communication station. Reaching for a handspanner, she ducked her head inside the workings, searching for any problems with the communication array.

Damn.

Something was definitely not right. It wasn't like the others to not check in. She just hoped that they hadn't been taken by an alien presence like the medical team had been.

"Try to reach out to the Captain if you can. If, however, you are unable to reach them, contact the ship and inform them of our situation."

She ran through a couple scenarios in her head, none of which seemed favorable at the moment, but she had to go with her best shot at getting their people out of there safely.

"With the exception of Crewman Ozu and security, I want every hand to start breaking down the camp and loading the shuttle."

She didn't break eye contact with the Chief Medical Officer the entire time she spoke. Until she knew what it was that the aliens wanted, she wasn't going to let down her guard or take any chances.

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Naira on December 28, 2017, 01:16:28 AM

"What is it that they want, Dr. Brighton?"

While she knew that some of the security crewmen might be a little uncomfortable lowering their phasers while in the presence of an alien entity that they knew nothing about, she hoped that they would take a cue from her to lower their weapons until such time that they may be needed.

"They wish to inform us that the last time they had visitors, it did not end well for either party. They caused a lot of harm and they are wanting to warn us. This group is the peaceful one, but those who are angry at the precious visitors may not see the difference like they do.  They would be welcoming, but do not want us to be hurt," Caleb said. "They have just now rebuilt and do not want to see the anger of their elders cause us harm. I feel their struggle as if it was my own. It is a gift and curse." As he said the words, a few tears began to streak down his face.

Ozu Saya

Quote from: Naira on December 28, 2017, 04:00:11 PM

"Try to reach out to the Captain if you can. If, however, you are unable to reach them, contact the ship and inform them of our situation."

'Yes, ma'am,' Saya responded, head still buried under the communications console.

She tapped her combadge, deciding expediency would be better than secrecy at this point.
=/\= 'Ozu to Captain Carter. Captain Carter, please respond. Commander Naira would like an update on your status.'  =/\= She didn't think it would be wise to mention the natives yet.

Unable to find anything wrong under the console, Saya replaced the panel and stood to make another attempt at establishing communication between the shuttles.

After hearing what Dr. Brighton said, she was especially glad she hadn't mentioned the aliens. She was concerned that the more hostile group might have found the other away team.

Vulcan-Bajoran Hybrid; 5'2"
Domen Kyo: Bajoran; 6'6"
George Hugo: Human; 6'6"
Eviess Aihai Annhw: Romulan-Human Hybrid; 5'

Naira

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on December 28, 2017, 08:58:57 PM

"They wish to inform us that the last time they had visitors, it did not end well for either party. They caused a lot of harm and they are wanting to warn us. This group is the peaceful one, but those who are angry at the precious visitors may not see the difference like they do.  They would be welcoming, but do not want us to be hurt," Caleb said. "They have just now rebuilt and do not want to see the anger of their elders cause us harm. I feel their struggle as if it was my own. It is a gift and curse." As he said the words, a few tears began to streak down his face.

"I think I understand. Can you let them know that we mean them no harm and if they can separate themselves from our people that we will leave them in peace?"

Her words remained calm, but she was getting more nervous by the moment. They had yet to hear from anyone from the other team and she was starting to fear the worse.

Quote from: Ozu Saya on December 28, 2017, 11:24:29 PM

'Yes, ma'am,' Saya responded, head still buried under the communications console.

She tapped her combadge, deciding expediency would be better than secrecy at this point.
=/\= 'Ozu to Captain Carter. Captain Carter, please respond. Commander Naira would like an update on your status.'  =/\= She didn't think it would be wise to mention the natives yet.

Unable to find anything wrong under the console, Saya replaced the panel and stood to make another attempt at establishing communication between the shuttles.

After hearing what Dr. Brighton said, she was especially glad she hadn't mentioned the aliens. She was concerned that the more hostile group might have found the other away team.

"Crewman Ozu, if you can assist the others to finish loading the shuttle I'd like to depart momentarily."

She tapped her comm badge. =/\= Commander Naira to Athena, we've run into a bit of a situation down on the surface. We've been unable to contact the Zeus or any member that came down on her. Can you locate them with with a scan and beam them back aboard? =/\=

=/\= Aye, Commander =/\= Came the nervous voice of a young crewmen.

It was the news nobody wanted to hear. She just hoped that it wasn't too late for the others.

Katheryn Brighton

Seeing the tears fall from Cal made Katheryn want to go over and comfort him but knew that she couldn't not after what he had told them about the aliens who resided here and what had happened to previous visitors. It all began to click into place as to why this planet wasn't on any of the maps and would recommend to the Captain once they returned to the ship to leave some kind of warning beacon or have the region put off limits so no other crew had to be put in danger leaving the natives in peace.

Listening to the conversation and the orders issued from the XO, motioning for those not guarding the medical team to help with tearing everything down and repacking the shuttle. Knowing she wouldn't relax properly until Caleb and the others were free from the aliens and the Captain's team got in contact. This was also worrying that they hadn't heard anything from them in a while and hoped the more aggressive group hadn't found them although the XO had the right idea getting the ship to lock onto them and initiate a beam out.

Now they just had to wait for the aliens to leave the medical team so they could also get off the planet and regroup on the ship again hoping that everyone returned home.

Academy Commandant

Ezac

[Unknown Planet - Adjacent to Beach]

After what should have been long enough to reach the landing site of the Zeus, Ezac slowed his walk briefly before coming to a stop. He remained still for several moments and strained to identify any sounds that might show him the location of his landing party. Hearing nothing but the sound of a gentle breeze brushing through leaves on the trees, Ezac looked up to see the treetops swaying slowly and almost methodically.

He returned his gaze to ground level and panned back and forth once more, seeing nothing but tree trunks and other rich, colorful foliage. Resigning himself to the fact that he had somehow lost track of the landing party, Ezac reached his hand up to his combadge to establish radio contact.

Ezac froze as he looked down to his left hand, pressing firmly the spot on his chest where his combadge should have been. He gave in to impulse and spun around, suddenly experiencing the feeling of being watched and followed. Without hesitation, he decided to return to the last location that he expected to find his comrades: the beach. Calm yourself, soldier, he thought to himself while slowly drawing his phaser from the holster on his belt.

As he strode toward the beach with a renewed sense of urgency, he wondered to himself who or what could have taken his combadge without his knowledge, let alone approach undetected.

Never turn your back on a Breen.

Jules Bash

[USS Zeus]

Jules looked over the co-pilot's console on board the shuttle, furrowing his brow more and more. That same EM interference that he'd scanned earlier had increased, blocking almost all of the standard comm frequencies. Why an alarm hadn't gone off, he didn't know, until he looked over at the diagnostic/alarm console, only to see an empty hole. Totally removed, all of the connections simply detached.

Jules focused intently on the rest of the shuttle, looking for anything besides the crew, but saw nothing. He turned back to the console, and set the shuttle to use the standby frequencies, currently not in the range of the interference. Letting that take a moment to adjust and reconnect with the Athena, he walked out of the shuttle to the nearby communication station.

Jules reminded himself to update the alarm software for the remote communication station. Since it still had contact with the shuttle, it hadn't bothered to register any alarms, even if it was out of contact with the Athena itself.

=/\="Bash to Athena, verifying communications on standby frequency. We've been experiencing increased EM interference, and some technical... malfunctions." =/\=

He adjusted the frequencies to match the standby ones the shuttle was adjusting to. While doing that, he turned to spot the captain.

"Captain, we've been out of communications for an unknown period of time, the EM interference increased. The alarm and diagnostic system in the shuttle was removed, but I've adjusted to standby frequencies for communications. I'll keep an eye on the interference, but we might need more equipment to keep stable communications if it gets worse."

"Or goes missing." Jules said, letting the last comment fall under his breath. There'd be nothing to work with if things started to decide to be missing for no reason.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.