Rayek's Biography one-shot prompts

Started by Rayek trLhoell, October 19, 2017, 03:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Annular confinement beam

Cadet Rayek
[Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy]

One of Rayek's most dreaded hands-on exercises in the operation services 101 class was that of Transporter technology. It wasn't that Rayek didn't know how to manipulate the transporter console controls.  As with most of these technical services classes, Rayek had plenty of experience and knowledge.  He could work the console easily - narrowing or widening the annular confinement beam as needed for the situation.  He knew when it was best to boost power to the confinement beam so to avoid degradation to the patterns.

And Rayek didn't dread the hands-on exercise out of boredom.  He rather liked the sense of responsibility and control he had when operating the transporter console.

No, what bothered Rayek the most was that each and every day after giving the class the situational assignment the Transporter Instructor would demonstrate the operation once with minimal explanation then call on Rayek first to repeat the operation perhaps in the hopes of having him mess up.   Whatever the man's reason for picking him, Rayek dreaded that first exercise.  To his classmates, Rayek always seemed to be overcautious about making a mistake, hesitating on the controls before performing the transporter operation.  However it wasn't his grades that had Rayek pausing, but rather, the class was always scheduled after lunch and the Instructor had the worst hygiene habits.  Rayek would swear an oath that the man didn't know how to wash his hands.

Today was no different, as Rayek was called up to take the first turn at the transporter console Rayek could immediately tell that the Instructor had eaten mexican for lunch as there were taco sauce prints all over the controls.  As had become habit over the past few weeks, Rayek palmed the sanitary wipe to his hand and as he made a show of considering what to do, he quickly wiped the console controls clean before unlocking the touch sensitive console.  His classmates never knew how much they owed him.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - grief

'Centurion' Rayek
(Undercover Tal'Shiar - Acting Bodyguard for Ambassador Kalavak)
[USS Vanguard]

Ambassador Kalavak was dead.  The man survived  5 months under Dr. Mountain-Khan's care, before surcoming to the ravages of Pa'nar.   It had not been a pain-free or peaceful death in the least and Rayek could scarcely believe that the man had maintained his determination to forego the standard treatment that would have saved his life.

Rayek had called the Praetor just after the Ambassador's passing to make arrangements to have the body returned to Empire for a proper funeral and burial, but had been told to just have the Federation incinerate the corpse and for him to return immediately.  That had been yesterday morning.

Since that time Rayek had stayed with the body, keeping vigil.  He'd drawn on his own skin symbols representing Respect, and Remembrance.  It was variation of an archaic mourning custom but given that there was no other funerary rites being followed Rayek felt it was the least he could do to honor the man who had sacrificed his life for the well-being of the Empire.

As the Ambassador's sole remaining retainer - the others having left shortly after his transfer to the Starfleet vessel - it was Rayek who contacted the ship's Commander, then Captain, to make arrangement for the body to be burned.  Incineration was set for 2000 hrs ship's time. Currently, it was 0800.  Rayek tried not to think of what would come after the cremation but his thoughts were very dark and pessimistic despite his best attempt - focusing more on his own plight than the now-free-from-pain Ambassador.  Rayek almost envied the man.

A chime sounded at the door to the VIP quarters.  Rayek ignored it.   He ignored the 2nd, 3rd and 4th chimes as well.  There was a moment of silence when he believed his would-be visitor - the doctor no doubt, as no one else ever bothered to stop by - left.  But then the doors suddenly opened and Rayek turned to see Dr. Mountain-Khan hurrying in looking worried.

"Doctor?" Rayek questioned her presence.

"Oh! You're okay..? When you didn't answer... I was worried that... "  she left her sentence unfinished, as she moved to stand beside him by the Ambassador's bedside.  She looked exhausted and emotionally spent.

"You've been crying?" Rayek said in surprise as he studied her face.

Saqa7's eyes didn't turn to him, instead they settled on the Ambassador's face, as he lay  before them.  "I just needlessly lost a patient.  How would you expect me to feel?" Her voice as she spoke, quickly became thick with barely contained grief.

Rayek did not know what to say in response.  That she would weep at the death of the Ambassador should not have surprised him.  The doctor had changed much during their time aboard the USS Vanguard.  She'd gone from being wary and distrustful of her Romulan patient and guard, to greeting them daily with a cheerful and optimistic smile.  Rayek found himself missing that smile today.

"You did all you could.  He knew that."  Rayek said in an attempt to ensure that she knew that there was no blame.

"No, I didn't.  If I had - he would still be alive," she said miserably. "I miss his stories about Romulus.  He made it sound so beautiful."

Rayek nodded, recalling Kalavak's stories as well.  The man had been an excellent Ambassador - telling his stories with tears in his eyes, all so that he could obtain aid for his people.  "Yes, he had a way with words."

"I'd been to Romulus once - did I ever tell you that?  Of course I can't go into details but my ship the Bradbury was once invited there and I even got to spend an afternoon on the planet having a picnic with my fiancee.  But at the time I was so scared of your people... I couldn't enjoy it - not one bit.."

Rayek frowned at her story, recognizing at least part of it.  When he didn't say anything in response she turned to look to him and seeing his frown she quickly apologized.  "I'm sorry - I suppose that was rude of me to say.  I just ..  I wish I could have seen it through the Ambassador's eyes.  He loved his homeworld."

"Yes, he did and he loved his people even more...  It is unjust that he will be mourned more by his Starfleet doctor than by any Romulan alive."  Rayek commented bitterly.

"I wouldn't say any Romulan," the doctor replied quietly.  And at his questioning look she touched his face lightly and her fingers came away wet with tears he hadn't known he'd been crying.

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - deception

Major Rayek
(Tal Shiar operative)
[Warbird Falcon]

Rayek stood off to the side of the viewscreen, observing the exchange between the Warbird's Riov, Commander Delat - and the Vulcan  commanding the USS Courage, Rear Admiral Zaa.  He waited stoically for the connection to close before stepping forward to speak with Delat. "Commander Delat. A word with you in private."

He allowed Delat to lead the way to the Commanders office and waited until the doors slid shut before speaking in his coldest tone, as he circled around the Naval Officer much like a thrai stalking its next meal.

"Commander, would you kindly remind me of your -exact-orders for this mission? I wish to be certain of your incompetence before I have you demoted back down to Centurion."

"I understand my orders, Major," the Commander ground out between gritted teeth.

"Given your exchange with the Admiral, I somehow doubt that, Commander." Rayek slowed his circling and came to a stop directly in front of the Commander. "The Emperor has placed high value on the success of this mission. I will not allow you to jeopardize its success. I have been appointed Liaison Officer for this mission; I expect your complete co-operation and full obedience. Is that understood, Commander?"

"I understand my orders." Delat repeated mumbling more underneath his breath.

"Excellent, Commander. We have an understanding. Now, let me remind you Commander... while aboard the USS Courage or Bradbury, you will address me as Commander Rayek. A minor bit of deception.  It will stir less" Rayek paused a moment considering his words, "apprehension in our Federation guests, and we do so want them to be at ease while in our care, do we not Commander? False records have already added to the Falcon's database Á¢â,¬"œ just in case the Federation and it's precious Starfleet has means to access them."

Rayek was not above believing that the Federation had their own version of the Tal Shiar.  A simple study of available Federation human history showed plenty of evidence of espionage.  Such distrust would not be weeded out of a species.  If anything it would grow deeper and more tenacious roots over time.  It was entirely possible that one or more of Delat's crew were spies for the Federation.  Rayek had yet to find evidence of such ... yet, but he prepared himself for the possibility of it - thus the false records.

"Yes, Commander." Delat answered with a bit of emphasis on the new rank.

Rayek smiled. Delat still sounded bitter but for the moment was obeying the directive.  "Good. I will leave you to prepare for our beaming over, and meet you in the transporter room, shortly."

Rayek left the Commander to stew over his dressing down, and headed to his VIP quarters to change uniforms to complete his ruse. Five minutes later, he was waiting aboard the Romulan transporter pad for beam over to the USS Courage, dressed in a Commanders' dress uniform with appropriate rank insignia.  'Let the deception begin...' he thought with a smirk before the transporters beam caught him.

-----
Translations:
Riov - Commander (equivalent to Starfleet Captain)
thrai - predator (similar to the Terran wolverine).

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Denebian slime devil

Cadet Rayek
[Mars Colony - Underground Blackmarket]

Rayek glanced surreptitiously behind him for what seemed like the millionth time since sneaking out of the Academy grounds that evening.  There was no sign of being followed.  Good.

He checked the status of his 'borrowed' portable tricorder, in his pocket, which he had set to emit a false bio signal to cover his own bio-rhythms.  It was still functioning. Good.

Next, he checked his disguise. With limited supplies the most Rayek had managed to do was build up his forehead so that his V ridge was hidden and he could pass as a Vulcan.  His disguise, while far from perfect, should suffice.  Good.

Lastly, he checked that the 'borrowed' credit chip had the funds he would need.   Check.  He was ready.

From the busy well-lit main street, Rayek turned onto a empty street and from there turned again down into a darkened alley.  He studied each doorway in the alley as he passed, until he came to a door that met the description of what he'd been told.   He pressed the call button.

"Whaddya want? We're closed.  Come back tomorrow." A male voice answered in Federation Standard.

Rayek, mindful of his disguise kept his voice neutral and bland, as he replied back with the phrase that was supposed to get him past the underground security.  "I seek a Denebian slime devil."  He heard the door-lock click open and after a moment the metal barrier slid to the side, allowing him entrance.  Rayek stepped within the darkened room and was brought to a halt by a blue-skinned Andorian who stood blocking his way and  pointing a Andorian chaka towards him warily as the door behind Rayek shut.  "Vulcan huh?  We don't get many of your kind here."

"Your current posturing might suggest a reason why."  Rayek answered with typical Vulcan calmness. "Shall we proceed to the nature of my illegal request or do you need additional time to mentally process the proof of my presence here?"

A chuckle was heard from the darkness beyond the Andorian.  "Let him through." The Andorian looked skeptical but stepped aside and the darkness was parted slightly revealing a rather dirty and unkempt room where a man - Terran by appearances- sat at a table lit by a single lamp in the nearest corner of the room.  He motioned for Rayek to sit in the seat opposite as he got more comfortable.  Various drug paraphernalia littered the table.

When Rayek took a step towards the man, a sound, like moving chain alerted him to movement from the opposite corner.  It was dark but Rayek could make out the shadowy form of a meter long Denebian Slime Devil charging for him.

Rayek stood his ground and braced for the charge but the chain which the slime devil wore stopped it a meter short of its target - him.  The man laughed and motioned towards the chair once more.  Rayek raised an eyebrow in fair imitation of a Vulcan response and sat down, though he would have preferred to throw the laughing drug-dealer to the slime devil and enjoyed the resultant entertainment.

"So... what's your pleasure Mr. Vulcan?" the man asked with a tone of voice and expression that did nothing to hide the fact that the guy overly samples his wares.

Rayek ignored the obvious 'emotion' taunt just like any proper Vulcan would and got straight to business.  He passed across the table a small padd with a chemical formula noted on it.  "I require 100 units of this synthesized along with a forged medical script for the prescription."

END

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Saurian Brandy

Centurion Rayek
[Romulus - Tal Shiar Head Office - 2385]

Rayek waited nervously in ante-chamber of the Vice-Chairman.  Finding the Tal Shiar Head Office would have been nigh impossible, had Rayek not received specific and detailed directions in a brief comm-call in which he was instructed to memorize the directions that would be provided.  He was told the directions once before his contact cut the call abruptly.   Thankfully Rayek had a rather good memory and had been able to recall the instructions well enough that he'd found the place right away.  The young centurion figured that the memorization and ability to locate the Head Office through verbal cues only was all part of the interview process.

Nothing about the building, it's listed directory or its location hinted at all at what organization was truly within. This really was covert stuff and the young Romulan could scarely believe that he'd been one of the few screened-in,  because of his service record or maybe his family connections, for an interview.  If things went well, he could become an intelligence operative of Tal Shiar.  The idea of it was quite exhilarating.

A chime sounded and the guard standing at the doorway looked to Rayek and nodded.  "The Vice-Chairman will see you now."

Rayek rose from his seat and was allowed entrance to the office beyond.  The room was luxurious to say the least.  Furniture and art of the latest contemporary design accented the spacious office.  From the opposite side of a wide marble desk rose Vice-Chairman Vakis.

She was small in stature but everything about her bearing was alert and controlled.  From what little Rayek had managed to find about the female Vice-Chairman she had been in the Tal Shiar since before 2370.  That she had her eye set on becoming Chairman was obvious, which is why no doubt she was seemed so alert.  She likely had many enemies.

"Centurion Rayek tr'Lhoell, ma'am"  the guard announced.  Rayek offered the Vice-Chairman a salute, bending his elbow to bring his fist to his chest with his arm horizontal to the ground, then extending his arm out towards the Vice-Chairman sharply.  He held this position until his salute was acknowledged by a nod.  The Vice-Chairman regarded him for a long moment before nodding.

"Jolan Tru, Centurion Rayek." She greeted as she waved off her guard who exited the room, closing the door behind; then Vice-Chairman Vakis motioned for him to take a seat at the chair positioned directly in front of her desk.

"Jolan Tru, Vice-Chairman Vakis." He responded and moved to take the seat she'd indicated.  While he did so, she moved away from her desk, to walk over to a mirrored cabinet. From it she pulled out a distinct looking bottle.

Rayek watched her saying nothing.  She glanced over to him and smiled, "Saurian Brandy. A perk of the job." She poured herself a glass all the while watching Rayek. That the Brandy was currently an illegal substance because of a trade dispute with the Saurian's who were in the process of joining the Federation was not lost on Rayek.

"Would you like a glass, Centurion?" she asked pointedly.  It was a test, Rayek recognized but what solution she wanted out of him eluded Rayek.  Best to play it safe yet give the impression of confidence.

"Your offer honors me, Vice-Chairman. But I would not presume to believe I have earned such a reward quite yet.  Ask me again after my first mission for the Tal Shiar and we can toast together my success." It was a bit of bold statement but it seemed to have been the right answer for she laughed and downed the drink in one gulp.

"Very well, let's talk about your future, Rayek."

END

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Kelvans

Recruit Rayek
[Mars -  Starfleet Technical Services Academy]

Of all his classes at the Mars Academy, Rayek paid attention to the course material in Xeno Studies the most.   Rayek found it interesting the difference between how the Federation portrayed one species compared to how they were depicted by his own people.  Rayek was certain he knew which of the two had the right of it.

Rayek also enjoyed learning about those few obscure Federation member species and species that the Federation has encountered that Rayek had never yet studied, or even heard of, even as a Tal Shiar operative - species like the Kelvans.  Encountered during one of the Enterprises early missions when James T. Kirk was in Command.  The species, was from the Andromeda galaxy,  who in their native form were said to be over two times the size of a human with tentacles, yet were able to assume humanoid form.  Only a handful of them are known to exist in the Milky Way galaxy.  Rayek hoped one day to actually meet one.

The only downside to the class was that Rayek was often called on to provide what the Romulan xenophobic perspective of the species was.  Whenever he did so he was never looked upon favorably afterwards - as if by stating the perspective, he was saying he agreed with it.  If that were the case, Rayek never would have defected... were others not intelligent enough to realize that?

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Isolation

Prisoner 3J4S735GL (Rayek tr'Lhoell)
[Penal Colony Faicol-lhui]

Rayek had been on Faicol-lhui all of 24 hrs before the first attempt on his life was made. It hadn't been unexpected, given that he had rooted out and helped in capturing many of the Empire's dissidents currently residing here.  The attack had been a straight on knife-fight where his opponent had a knife and he nothing but his bare-hands and the chain that bound them.  At the man's charge, Rayek moved aside the last second and deflected the blade away while wrapping his chains about the man's neck until he was strangled.  That incident earned him 3 days in isolation.

Isolation was a small 8 by 8 rock-hewn cell with no light and titanium plated door barring the rooms only entrance.  Within was pitch-black, no sound could be heard beyond and the smell of urine and feces was almost overwhelming.  The cell was damp -which was both a blessing and curse.  A curse because the dampness was cold and over time Rayek found he shivered almost non-stop to keep his core temperature up.  And a bless because during those three days neither food nor water was brought so Rayek subsisted on the moisture he could wring from his shirt that he hung off the dampest of rocks.

The next attempt was about a week later, this time the guards had been lax or paid off to be elsewhere during a brief work break.  Rayek was attacked three on one with just a miner's pick-axe to defend himself with.   He didn't escape quite so unscathed that time but he was the only survivor.  Once more Rayek was sent to isolation - this time for a week.  He was relieved to discovered sometime in between his 1st and 2nd internment, the cell had been hosed down.

His presence in that tiny cell became quite regular those first few months, but after awhile the other inmates either learned not to try anything with the former Tal'Shiar or Rayek had killed off all those he'd wronged.  Either way, the attacks stopped and it was just his occasional smart-ass remarks to the guards that earned him isolation-time afterwards.   In all Rayek estimated about he'd spent about 45 to 50 days in isolation before he was called back into service.

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - forgiveness

Prisoner 3J4S735GL (Rayek tr'Lhoell)
[Penal Colony Faicol-lhui]

Rayek was between isolation visits in his third month when he learned that his father, Talen tr'Lhoell, had been sentenced and imprisoned at Faicol-lhui as well.  Their work shifts and meals times were always opposite - quite likely planned that way by the prisoner warden.

For two days afterwards Rayek studied the guard patrols - how often they roved, who they checked on the most. He quietly spoke to other inmates, who by now  either feared or respected him for his survival of the attempts on his life. Plans were made and on the third day at the end of his 7-hr work shift, during the brief overlap when his shift came off and the other came on.. a planned distraction allowed Rayek to switch places with another just coming on shift that closely resembled him.

Rayek worked an exhausting second 7-hr shift.  One shift usually being tiring enough - the second was nearly too much for him being as poorly fed as he and the other prisoners were; his weary efforts drawing undue attention to himself in the last few hours, but noticing this Rayek redoubled his efforts and the guards moved on to harass another.  Once more at shift end a minor scuffle between two inmates provided the distraction needed to switch places again with another just coming on shift.

Finally Rayek was on the same work-shift as his father.  He moved through the long corridor of prisoners quickly - jumping the line when the guards weren't paying attention, looking for his father. It would be lights out for his own shift soon and the guards then were a bit more attentive to their duties.

After nearly a half-hour, Rayek found him.  He'd almost passed right by not recognizing him by sight so changed was he, working away at chipping out the stone from around a vein of dilithium. Gone was the tall upright figure of strength and authority that Rayek grew up respecting, a Romulan who after the take over of Praetor Shinzon had stepped up to help lead Romulus out of the chaos, a Romulan who spoke in the Senate for reforms that would benefit all of Romulus and Remus not just the Ruling Clans; and in his place now was a wraith of that man, slump-shouldered and broken-of-spirit by the harshness of prison life.

Rayek moved to his fathers side, tapping at the stone beside and quietly whispered to him.  "Father, it is good to see you - despite our circumstances."  Talen was startled at the unexpected greeting, but managed to calm himself at Rayek's subtle shushing gesture so as not to attract the attention of the guards.

"Son, so you are here as well.  I had hoped that would not be the case.  Have you heard anything of your mother or siblings?" Talen asked quietly as resumed his task of working at the stone with the ineffective pick-axe.

Rayek shook his head and kept watch for guards as he answered "No, I am sorry Father, I have not. I only just learned of your presence here.  I had hoped the Praetors' threat to act against you and the family, should my mission fail, was a bluff.  I should have known better and forewarned you.  I ask your forgiveness Father.  This is all my fault."

"Nonsense Rayek, I knew the reforms I was advocating were unpopular, and not likely to gain favor with the higher Clans.  My being here is my own doing.  I read many of your mission-reports, you have always done your best son.  You have done nothing that requires my forgiveness."  His father smiled briefly at him, straightening slightly somewhat - resembling more the man he used to be.

A commotion down the line caught Rayek attention, and he cocked his head slightly hearing running footsteps and raised voices from up along the mining corridor.  "They come for me Father.  I must go.  If they question you, we never spoke. Stay strong Father."  Rayek whispered before leaving his father.

Rayek moved back further towards the approaching guards, cutting into line just at the moment he noticed they spotted him to question another inmate about a prisoner named Talen.  Before the man could answer Rayek was grabbed by the guards.  He struggled in their grip and fiercely demanded to know where his father was.  The guards just laughed and dragged him away commenting to Rayek how he was overdue for another visit to the isolation cell.

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt -  hasperat

Recruit Rayek
[Mars - Rayek's apartment]

Three months into his first year and Rayek attended his first 'potluck'.  It was a class gathering being put on by a pair of Terran students to celebrate in combination several Terran winter festivals including 'Xmas', 'Yuletide', 'Kwanzaa', and 'Hanukkah'.  Rayek's only instructions at the time when he received the invite in his computers mail was to bring food for the potluck.

He did a bit of research on the celebrations which seemed varied but all seemed to reflect on the faith of goodwill and the coming of light, which made some sense given that the celebrations were centered  around the Terran winter solstice. How humans managed to come up with the traditions of a decorated evergreen or a fictional elderly man that  gives out gifts to good children eluded him, but he was curious so he decided he would attend this celebration.   He had his apartment food replicator prepare a large batch of one his favored Federation meals - Bajoran hasperat.

[Thompson dorm room]
He timed his arrival at the gathering to match the time noted on the invitation but found that he was one of the few who had arrived on time.  His arrival was met with some rather uncertain looks by the twin sisters, Rachel and Rochelle Thompson, who were hosting the evenings festivities.  He was granted entrance but after he was pointed towards a long trestle table where he was asked to set his potluck dish, the two woman whispered to themselves, believing he couldn't hear.

"You actually invited him?!"
"I sent out the invitation to the entire class distribution list. Sorry, I didn't think he'd actually come."
"Well, what are we going do? You know no one else is going to stay long if he's here."

Rayek set the dish down on the table with a wry grimace before turning to walk back towards the two women.  Disdain on his face and in his tone.  "For future reference, I have excellent hearing - your whispers hide nothing."  Without further comment Rayek walked out; and spent the rest of the evening studying alone in the Academy library.

One would think, that the Romulan would be used to such attitudes, and he was but that evening left its' mark on Rayek.   He is reminded of the incident every time he has hasperat and the remembrance often sours his appetite.

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - dunsel

'Commander' Rayek (alias of Major Rayek of the Tal Shiar)
[USS Courage - Conference Room - Gomtuu system in Romulan territory]

The meeting between the Romulans and the Federation Starfleet officers of the USS Challenger and USS Bradbury was not going well.  It had all come to a head moments ago when Rear Admiral Zaa and Captain Savok joked in response to Commander Thraiin tr'Khellian's question.

"Did you or did you not send these creatures into Romulan space as your Security Chief seems to allude to? " Thraiin questioningly accused. "Is he saying these creatures plan next to take Romulus?  Are you truly in league with them and we have simply fallen into a trap?  If so it is well set but make no mistake you will fail."

To which Rear Admiral Zaa joked to his Captain in an aside that was quite audible "Maybe, that is not such a bad idea! We could suggest it to the creatures and see what they do but I reckon they would see Romulus as a very developed society. Or would you think that they might consider it to be a primitive one that needs to be developed?" Zaa chuckled.

"I think the Tulacz would consider the lot o' them dunsels, sir." Captain Savok replied with a laugh of his own.

Rayek recognized the fact that he and his people had just been insulted but couldn't place the term dunsel at all.

That Thraiin didn't appreciate either comment much was evident from the Commander's sarcastic tone as he stood up abruptly. "Captain, your attitude astounds me. I will participate no further in this ruse. Rayek is better suited for this acquiescent-type behavior - I am not!"  Then without the customary bow, Thraiin turned in one neat militaristic move and left the conference room, leaving Rayek to continue planning with the Feds.

Perplexed, Zaa said, "I apologize for my joke -  it was not meant to offend. However, all that needs to be done to sort out this situation is for one of you Romulans to talk telepathically with these creatures. We can help you but you have to have the courage to take that step."

Rayek bristled at yet more insults in regards to him and his peoples courage. "So they can read our minds and wipe our memories like was done with the Riov? I think not."  Rayek answered coolly.  "Have your people come up with another means for us to communicate with these Tulacz since you are evidently so familiar with them.  We will not risk more Romulan secrets falling to the enemy."

Things only went downhill from there. In the end the mission failed and Rayek was made the scapegoat.

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Klingon

2nd Lieutenant Rayek tr'Lhoell (of the Tal Shiar)
[2385 - Romulus -  Imperial War College]

Rayek's soft-soled boots made no noise as he strode along the marble hallways of the Imperial War College. It was a stark difference compared to the last time he walked these halls; military boots stepping loudly 5 years prior as he headed for his own convocation.

As he exited the arched marble hallways for the more ornate open auditorium, Rayek realized he had already missed the much of the ceremony's opening remarks.  He hoped Kemala hadn't noticed his absence, or he would never hear the end of it from her.  Rayek blamed his tardiness on the vid-call he'd received from Wurd, a Klingon contact used by the Tal Shiar to keep tabs on their neighbors.

Rayek quietly moved just to the side of the door to observe the graduation proceedings.  His dark eyes roved the auditorium.  He noted his father and mother present, seated near the front of the hall.  Standing in strategically key locations about the room, Rayek counted easily 10 Imperial Guards.  All alert to keep safe his father, given Talen tr'Lhoell's position as Proconsul among the Senate.

As each rank and name was called the cheers from the hall was deafening. "Uhlan Lorun tr'Khellian.... Uhlan Kemala t'Lhoell.... " Rayek, in the back, cheered and clapped along with the crowd, loudly celebrating his sister's success. Whereas his sister had graduated College and was now about to beginning her mandatory five year military service with the Romulan Imperial Navy;  Rayek, who had just finished his five years with the rank of Centurion, had signed again at a lesser rank with the Tal Shiar.  The next few years were going to be interesting times for both of them.

"Jaron tr'Man'dak..."  Once more Rayek raised his voice to cheer.  Perhaps not quite as loudly, Jaron was more his sister's friend than his own. Though friend might be an overly mild term now... their mother had mentioned that Jaron had approached Talen recently to officially court Kemala.  Rayek didn't know how he felt about that.  He was a tad bit overprotective of his sister at times, something she hated, saying that she could protect herself, she didn't need his archaic big brother attitude and that she could fight her own battles.

A vibe on his communicator, drew his attention away from further names being called. Rayek tapped on a small earbud device and quietly acknowledged the incoming call.  He listened a moment before sighing.  It seemed the Klingon contact insisted on meeting in person to pass on some sensitive information and Rayek had been chosen to go meet with him along the border.  This would mean Rayek would miss out on further celebrations with his sister.  It was disappointing news but duty came first.

Rayek took one last glance towards his sister, who was standing on stage beaming happily towards Jaron as she held his hand in triumph.  Rayek quietly wished them both well as he turned away and slipped out the auditorium doors to arrange his flight out to the border.

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Parrises squares & Voth

Recruit Rayek
[Mars - Starfleet Technical Service Academy - Gymnasium]

The crowd cheered as the favored team ran out on the court.  Rayek, waiting in the hall just outside the dressing room with the rest of the last-minute drafted team-players, refrained from adjusting his ill-fitting unitard uniform as he for the 100th time imagined the terrible vengeance he would wreak upon Benos, the teams Captain, for tricking him into agreeing to this match.  No amount of Romulan ale was worth this embarrassment.

Parrises squares, being a team sport was not one that Rayek participated in frequently, in fact he avoided it unless it was part of the scheduled DPA.  His avoidance didn't change the fact that he was good at it; as Benos the blue-skinned trickster well knew.  Benos and Nalem had much to answer for after this.

"And introducing the challengers from STSA's freshman class...  The Omega Outsiders!"   Benos led the way into the court to a smattering of cheers.  Rayek followed and quickly took note of the other team.  They were all athletic individuals and Rayek noted immediately why Benos had been adamant that he play.  The favored team had a Vulcan player - as well as one species Rayek had never seen before.  By it's reptilian features, Rayek guessed the species to be Arkonian.  Benos however, at noticing Rayek's direction of gaze, offered up several different suggestions that Rayek hadn't even considered given the species were either rare or not from the Alpha or Beta Quadrants.  "Hey, pop-quiz Hot-shot - Arkonian, Voth, Gorn or Tosk?" 

Rayek glanced over to Benos at the Andorian's fondness for quoting ancient Terran's action films.   Rayek had heard this particular one in class numerous times - to the point where Rayek had searched the terms 'pop-quiz' and 'hot-shot' just to be sure it wasn't some manner of insult.  Benos waited for Rayek's response with a slight grin.

Rayek looked back towards the reptilian species and considered what he knew of each species named.  The Gorn though an Alpha quadrant species, had little interaction with the Federation other than a few skirmishes. He doubted they would have members present at at Parrises squares tournament.  The Tosk were a rarely encountered species from the Gamma quadrant - again he doubted members of that species being interested in participating in such an event.   Arkonian's were an Alpha quadrant species that had a 'friendly' history with the Federation.  So their participation here was viable.  As for the Voth,  Rayek had never heard of the species before - which suggested a newly encountered species - maybe a new Federation member or ally?

"One question.. where are the Voth from?" Rayek asked, to which Benos chuckled and shook his head.  It was Nalem, their Trill teammate, who answered, "Well, if the rumors are right from Earth originally, but the USS Voyager encountered them out in the Delta quadrant."

"Hey, you're helping him!" Benos complained.

Rayek nodded towards helpful Trill.  "Then I would have to say Arkonian." He answered the original 'pop-quiz' question.

"Aw. Nalem, you gave it away!"

They lost the game - 12 to 7.

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Gratitude

'Centurion' Rayek - Romulan Attache/Bodyguard to Ambassador Kalavak (Tal Shiar operative)
[USS Vanguard -  VIP suite - yr 2391]

Rayek sat at the room's small desk re-reading on the computer display the most recent encrypted message he had received from his superiors.  As suspected, with the death of the Ambassador, Rayek was being recalled and the carefully written orders implied that he was being re-assigned to a 'special post'.  Which Rayek knew was a code word from his contact informing him that the new provisional government considered him a liability now and that he would be sent somewhere remote and out of the way, perhaps even back to prison.

Rayek's future looked bleak.  His family dead or locked away for life, his career in tatters with no hope of being redeemed in the eyes of this new government - not with the allegiances he'd been forced to make over the years in order to do his duty - all of which were gone now.  He wondered at the point of it all.

A chime sounded and Rayek closed the message before responding "Enter."

His day brightened with the arrival of Dr. Mountain-Khan.  She greeted him with a smile that he wished he could memorize and call to mind whenever he was in need of a ray of sunshine.

In the past few days since the Ambassador's death Dr. Mountain-Khan, or Saqa7 as she repeatedly asked him to call her, had been his anchor.  He owed her his gratitude for being there for him when he first  received his orders.   He had been quite despondent and she had made time for him.

She seemed to be able to read his underlying mood at any give time, and had listened nonjudgmental as he, in a moment of weakness, spoke out against the Empire and its unjust plans for him; and had even expressed genuine sympathy at his plight.   That had been the other night.  He had but 2 more before his transport back to the Empire.

"Ah, Dr. Mountain-Khan.  How good of you to visit." he greeted courteously.

The native doctor shook her head a bit and chuckled.  "I do wish you would call me Saqa7 - at least when it's just the two of us.  It's much less of a mouthful."  The doctor walked over studying Rayek's face and posture a moment and then placed a hand lightly on his arm as he stood up from the chair gesturing for her to take the rooms only seat.

Saqa7 ignored the offer and instead fixed Rayek with an accusatory look. "You've been brooding about your orders again, haven't you?"

Rayek gave a slight snort. "What else is there to do but brood?"

The doctor seemed to hesitate a moment, as if uncertain how to broach the topic.  "Well, have you considered.. not going back?"

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Black Ops

Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Romulus - city of I'Ramnau]

Thirteen year old Rayek frowned at the incessant pestering of his younger sibling Kemala as she interrupted his one afternoon of freetime.  Rayek was up in his room, on his computer, setting up a blackmarket electronic to his display screen, when she came barging into his room demanding he take her to her friend Jaron's and play tag with them.

"Mother said it was your responsibility to watch over me today and I want to play tag with Jaron, so you have to play too." Kemala reasoned, with a child's logic.

"No, I don't.  You can invite him over, have his parents drop him off and I can watch the two of you over the security cameras and still fulfill my responsibility. I'm busy right now." Rayek countered as he finished attaching the last of the multi-colored wires. Obtaining the correct power adapters and wire connections for the unit had been difficult and cost Rayek the last of his saved allowance but once he got the unit working it would be so worth it, he thought.

"But I want you to play too, it's more fun when there are others." Kemala argued.

"Invite other classmates then." Rayek reasoned, his attention more on the powered up screen than on his younger sibling.  "I don't do games, Kemala."

Kemala pouted angrily beside him for a moment before her eyes fell on the odd looking lettering displayed on the screen.  "What language is that?"

Rayek belatedly attempted to cover the unit with a discarded towel, then sighed in resignation.  Rayek glanced to his sister and hesitated a moment before answering.   "It's English .. kind of like Federation Standard." He looked at his sister intently.  "You can't tell anyone I have this.  Not only would I get in trouble but so would Mother and Father.  So you have to promise to keep it a secret."

Kemala regarded her brother skeptically for a moment but he looked serious so she eventually nodded.  "Fine. I promise. What is it?" she asked still curious.

Rayek rolled his eyes at his sister's ignorance.  "It's a Terran video game console. It's called an Xbox One," he answered as he pressed the circular X button on the units handheld remote and flicked through the start up screens quickly and with ease.  He had been introduced to the Xbox unit several months ago by a schoolmate and the two had been engaged in several sessions together until last month when his schoolmate's console had been discovered and confiscated.

Kemala laughed at his reply.  "A game console? You just said you don't do games," his sister commented drily.

"This is much more than just a game, Kemala.  This is military intelligence and research material." Rayek answered back as he pulled out from his carry bag a circular disc with more of the English words written on it.

"What is that and what's it read?" Kemala demanded to know as she peered at the disc.  Rayek scowled, "If I show you - just this once - will you then just leave me be?"

Kemala nodded and Rayek sighed as he took and held up the disc.  "This is a game disc called Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.  It's like ..."  he paused to find the right analogy as he slipped the disc into its slot, "a military training program.  'Black Ops' refers to covert military or political operations like assassinations and such.  Somewhat like the Tal'Shiar."

Kemala regarded Rayek for a long moment silently.  Rayek wondered if maybe he should have censored his explanation. He knew of many adults who did not dare mention the name of the Tal'Shiar lest it draw their attention to them.  His sister was only just turning 8 - it might be too frightening for her.  The screen flared to life with the image of a human soldier attired in various foreign weapons. Kemala glanced to the screen then back to Rayek.

"Sounds boring." Kemala remarked in her usual annoying tone, then turned away, "I'm going to go call, Jaron," she stated and left Rayek to his game.  Rayek watched her leave, bemused by her reaction but figured her lack of interest was probably safer for them all.  He knew she wouldn't break her promise - not intentionally, but if she had been interested in the game and pursued knowing more she might have eventually let something slip to Mother or Father.  This way she'd likely forget all about the game console after a short while - so long as she was kept occupied.  For once, Rayek found himself hoping that her friend Jaron would be able to come over - if just to keep her entertained.

Rayek trLhoell

Prompt - Containment Field

Recruit Rayek
[USS Enterprise-E Engineering]

The wail of the red alert klaxon was loud in Rayek's ears as his security override code unlocked the emergency bulkhead door which was currently sealing Engineering off from the rest of the ship.  He double checked his tricorder to ensure that the bio-signs were still present.  There would be no sense in him risking his life to retrieve corpses.  Two life signs remained - weak but present.  An earlier scan had revealed the air within Engineering was toxic due to ruptured plasma coils.

Rayek retrieved his portable rebreather and set it into his mouth as he activated the doors to open.  Smoke immediately covered his vision but by using the tricorder Rayek was able to navigate his way through the smoke towards the two life-signs.

Given how weak the life-signs were displayed on his tricorder, Rayek had expected to find both individuals unconscious, instead his approach through the smoke was met with the sight of a Benzite male half supporting a Vulcan female who was half slumped across a console struggling to remain alert.

Rayek moved to the other side of the Vulcan and took over supporting her weight.  He motioned for the Benzite to follow but the man shook his head as he continued to work at the console now freed from the semi-conscious Vulcan.

It was however the female Vulcan who Rayek was supporting that answered.  "We have to...cough cough...  strengthen the containment field around the antimatter.. cough cough - if we don't the whole ship will blow."

Rayek took the rebreather from his mouth and passed it to the struggling Vulcan, who hesitated a second before accepting the portable breathing device recognizing the logic of sharing it.  His first inhalation of the toxic air burned in his lungs and Rayek had to fight back a cough which would only force him to breath in more of the toxins.

"The ship is already lost.  The Captain has ordered the abandon ship." Rayek stated, risking another brief shallow inhalation to continue speaking. "I've been ordered to get any survivors from Engineering out and off the ship.  Now let's move!" His urging was met with resistance though as the Vulcan attempted to assist the Benzite at the console.

Rather than continue to argue with the stubborn Vulcan, Rayek adjusted his support of her to free a hand and with a quick move placed his fingers over specific pressure and nerve points on the woman's neck and shoulder and dropped her.  The rebreather fell from her slack mouth.

Rayek hefted her weight onto his shoulder then turned to the Benzite pulling his phaser.  "Step away from the console and lead the way to the exit or I will stun you and drag you out forcibly."  He rasped as talking meant breathing in yet more of the burning smoke and toxins.

When the Benzite opened his mouth to argue, pointing towards the anti-matter unit, Rayek fired his phaser and stunned the engineer.  He grabbed the Benzite by an arm and dragged engineer out of Engineering exactly as he'd warned.

[Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy]

"Computer end program," the instructors voice cut through the wail of the klaxon and suddenly the weight of the Vulcan female disappeared from his shoulder and the Benzite's arm disappeared from his grip.

Rayek assumed an at attention stance while the rest of the class filed in behind the instructor to hear the simulations assessment.

"Rayek, would please explain why you felt it necessary to subdue both engineers?"

(scene fade)

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.