Athena Mission 2.8: Skin Scratchers

Started by James Carter, October 01, 2017, 01:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Arrun Dihsar on October 03, 2017, 01:27:57 AM

[Medical Bay - Caleb's Office]

"Today I am...better then yesterday." Arrun said with a half-shrug. "Krem's thoughts still come up from time to time; or at least his kind of fearful thinking. Little things seem far more frightening or threatening to me then before. Instead of worrying if I'm doing my job right or that I'm working hard enough, I'm worrying about possible ambushes and conspiracies aboard ship. I believe I have it under control, following the coping strategies that were suggested to me before and prayer helps as always." He shook his head. "That said, today was a struggle like every other. But I would really like to get back to work and give myself something complicated to think about other than how nice the holodecks are or if I have enough incense for today." he smiled at little at his joke, but the mirth wasn't half-way there in his eyes.

[ Medical Bay - Caleb's Office ]

Caleb listened intently to Arrun. He was no stranger to what the man was describing. Those first few weeks after he left Ben were hard. Though what kept him busy was finding the jungle clinic and getting to work. After studying Arrun's file and listening to what he had to say, he knew that work probably would be the best thing for him. However, he needed to see if these thoughts that Arrun had were effecting him enough to hinder his work.

"Have these thoughts been less frequent than when you last talked bout them? Have you been able to focus even if they are happening?" Caleb asked with genuine concern. "If you feel that you can I will let you go. However, I do want you still to let me know if you're having these thoughts past this session. The strategies are good and I am glad they have been working, but I still would like to know so that I can make sure your mental health is good. After a mess like that, I want to be sure everyone is ok."

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 03, 2017, 07:36:28 PM

[Main Security]

While the Chief of Security told her side of the events, Naira listened as her gaze remained squarely fixed on the other woman's face. She contemplated what details she had to offer and nodded as the story came to a finish.

"I see. It was my understanding that you were alerted to a disturbance before reaching the Mess Hall, back when still in your quarters?" She had to pause for a moment to check the record. "I have no background in security and I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but in the future, I feel it may hasten our response time if any threat of danger is called in immediately so that we can work together to formulate a plan before things get out of hand."

[Main Security]

Katheryn understood why the XO was asking all of these questions but at the same time was beginning to question her abilities as both a Security Officer and Department Head, wondering if her actions on that night could of led to a different resolution but then again her and Caleb hadn't expected to be woken or have to run for their lives after becoming concerned about their friends.

Pushing those thoughts firmly to the back of her mind as she continued to listen to Commander Naira and by the time she had finished, reasoned that it was just something for her to remember and learn. " Again that's correct Commander, we were woken by the noise and proceeded to check it out after becoming concerned about Miss Morgaine and Lt Maddux but we had no idea that we would have to run for our lives and I alerted the Bridge as soon as it was safe to do so" She replied " However upon reflection and with what you have just said, I agree and I can assure you that from now on, I will alert the Bridge immediately".

Academy Commandant

Arrun Dihsar

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on October 03, 2017, 10:48:10 PM

Caleb listened intently to Arrun. He was no stranger to what the man was describing. Those first few weeks after he left Ben were hard. Though what kept him busy was finding the jungle clinic and getting to work. After studying Arrun's file and listening to what he had to say, he knew that work probably would be the best thing for him. However, he needed to see if these thoughts that Arrun had were effecting him enough to hinder his work.

"Have these thoughts been less frequent than when you last talked bout them? Have you been able to focus even if they are happening?" Caleb asked with genuine concern. "If you feel that you can I will let you go. However, I do want you still to let me know if you're having these thoughts past this session. The strategies are good and I am glad they have been working, but I still would like to know so that I can make sure your mental health is good. After a mess like that, I want to be sure everyone is ok."

"They are still present as usual; but, what scares me is it isn't his voice I hear them in anymore but my own." he admitted with slow reluctance. "That said, I've taken some of the Shuttle Proficiency and Starship Operations tests again in the holodeck: if anything my response times have improved since I last tested. When I'm working on something the voices warn me of things to worry about before they become an issue. Though I am on the lookout for cloaked ships and the like during the tests." Arrun shook his head. "It's very strange; but, I think I can do my duty. I just wish..." He stopped from saying what he and the Doctor both knew wasn't happening -that he wished the voice would stop forever. It had been a while since the Artifacts had been aboard and, near as Arrun knew, no-one else suffered the same side-effects he had. This was something he might live with the rest of his life -Prophets give him the wisdom to see his way through such a burden. "...Ah, you know." was all he said instead.

James Carter

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 03, 2017, 09:34:55 PM

[Bridge]

Ash walked over to where her friend sat in the Captain's seat and came up behind him. "You certainly look like you've settled in," she said with a grin as she passed over the hot beverage. "Russian Caravan. Not a 'dreadful American one,' but not your boring Earl Grey either."

[Bridge]

James looked down to the drink and then back up to Ash with an honest smile on his face. "You know me so well, I've never been one for the boring." He laughed taking a quick sip. His head tilted slightly as he thought on the taste. "You said it's a Russian Caravan tea? It's good. It reminds me of another tea I had, but with a bit of a smoky taste to it." He was far from a tea expert, but being English tea was a factor of life. Finally his gaze shifted back to Ash and he laughed again. "Thank you A....Ms Morgaine. As for settling in, it's been a strange adjustment but a welcomed one."

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: James Carter on October 04, 2017, 08:47:50 AM

[Bridge]

James looked down to the drink and then back up to Ash with an honest smile on his face. "You know me so well, I've never been one for the boring." He laughed taking a quick sip. His head tilted slightly as he thought on the taste. "You said it's a Russian Caravan tea? It's good. It reminds me of another tea I had, but with a bit of a smoky taste to it." He was far from a tea expert, but being English tea was a factor of life. Finally his gaze shifted back to Ash and he laughed again. "Thank you A....Ms Morgaine. As for settling in, it's been a strange adjustment but a welcomed one."

Ash rolled her eyes and laughed herself as James addressed her so... professionally. "There's no need to be so formal. I'm just a civilian after all. 'Ash' will do just fine, even if we're on duty... 'Ms. Morgaine' just sounds so stuffy." And indeed, with her rumpled apron and chaotic hair, the prim surname didn't seem to match the mess hall manager's personality very well.

"Only Admiral Lafayette calls me 'Ms. Morgaine' anyway - and that's just because it's pointless to argue with her on that." Ash relaxed back as she spoke, moving as if she might lean against the arm of the Captain's chair, then paused and remained standing as she remembered how inappropriate that would probably be. "How is she, anyway? I haven't seen her in... forever. She never comes into the mess hall. Ever. I'm barely convinced she eats anything other than nutrition supplements and caffeine."

James Carter

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 04, 2017, 11:42:08 AM

Ash rolled her eyes and laughed herself as James addressed her so... professionally. "There's no need to be so formal. I'm just a civilian after all. 'Ash' will do just fine, even if we're on duty... 'Ms. Morgaine' just sounds so stuffy." And indeed, with her rumpled apron and chaotic hair, the prim surname didn't seem to match the mess hall manager's personality very well.

"Only Admiral Lafayette calls me 'Ms. Morgaine' anyway - and that's just because it's pointless to argue with her on that." Ash relaxed back as she spoke, moving as if she might lean against the arm of the Captain's chair, then paused and remained standing as she remembered how inappropriate that would probably be. "How is she, anyway? I haven't seen her in... forever. She never comes into the mess hall. Ever. I'm barely convinced she eats anything other than nutrition supplements and caffeine."

[Bridge]

The unfortunate truth was that James had only seen Constance once or twice since he'd taken the job. Now they only came into contact when duty put them together,  something he hoped would change at some point. "Honestly I'm not sure. Since I took this job I've barely seen her. I saw her once while the ship was being repaired and altered for our new arrangement, but it was brief at best. You know her, I'm pretty sure she even works in her sleep. It's actually been pretty weird not having her around. It feels like I've worked directly with her for lifetimes now." Carter quickly cut himself off. He knew if he didn't he would ramble on about the subject for far longer than necessary. "I haven't really seen you much since I took this job either unfortunately. How have you been?" The captain asked in a curious tone.

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: James Carter on October 04, 2017, 01:05:18 PM

[Bridge]

The unfortunate truth was that James had only seen Constance once or twice since he'd taken the job. Now they only came into contact when duty put them together,  something he hoped would change at some point. "Honestly I'm not sure. Since I took this job I've barely seen her. I saw her once while the ship was being repaired and altered for our new arrangement, but it was brief at best. You know her, I'm pretty sure she even works in her sleep. It's actually been pretty weird not having her around. It feels like I've worked directly with her for lifetimes now." Carter quickly cut himself off. He knew if he didn't he would ramble on about the subject for far longer than necessary. "I haven't really seen you much since I took this job either unfortunately. How have you been?" The captain asked in a curious tone.

[Bridge]

"She's probably overworking herself, knowing her." Ash reached up and fingered the chess piece that hung around her neck. Constance had given it to her after their somewhat intense encounter with the Vorta, and, even if she didn't know why the Captain did it, Ash kept it close as a reminder that she could be useful - something her brain liked to forget sometimes. She owed a lot to the woman, really. Since coming aboard the Athena, Ash had been through a lot, and subsequently grown a lot. None of that would have happened if Captain Lafayette hadn't agreed to hire on an unexperienced, overly curious civilian a couple years ago.

Thinking on this, Ash came to a conclusion. "I know what you mean. She's been a constant presence in my life since I left home and joined the Athena... I might check in on her later. So, if she kills me for interrupting something important, I want you to give me a good funeral." Her joking manner sent the corners of her mouth tipping upwards into another smile, and that stayed in place as she continued talking to her friend. "I've been fine - busy making messes like usual. And no more crazed, axe-men have torn into my room lately, so that's a plus. I've just got a lot to think about, more than anything else, I guess."

She hesitated a brief instant before continuing, "How about you?" She knew how upset he had been after the situation with the armor, and, while he seemed fine now, an experience like that didn't fade so easily. Ash unfortunately had first hand experience in that department. It had been a long time since the Danny incident, but she doubted she'd ever truly be able to forget about it.

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 04, 2017, 02:56:57 AM

[Main Security]

Katheryn understood why the XO was asking all of these questions but at the same time was beginning to question her abilities as both a Security Officer and Department Head, wondering if her actions on that night could of led to a different resolution but then again her and Caleb hadn't expected to be woken or have to run for their lives after becoming concerned about their friends.

Pushing those thoughts firmly to the back of her mind as she continued to listen to Commander Naira and by the time she had finished, reasoned that it was just something for her to remember and learn. " Again that's correct Commander, we were woken by the noise and proceeded to check it out after becoming concerned about Miss Morgaine and Lt Maddux but we had no idea that we would have to run for our lives and I alerted the Bridge as soon as it was safe to do so" She replied " However upon reflection and with what you have just said, I agree and I can assure you that from now on, I will alert the Bridge immediately".

[Main Security]

"I'm glad we could come to an understanding."

Now that that was out of the way, Naira allowed her posture to relax a bit.

She was still trying to get a handle on her new role and responsibilities and wanted to make sure she was doing everything to the best of her abilities. She held no ill will against the Chief of Security, she merely wanted to beef up security measures so that in the off chance that they find themselves in a similar situation again, things aren't allowed to break down as they had. Too many lives had been lost and she didn't want to see that happen under her watch.

"If you would be so kind, can I get a tour of your department and a brief description of your normal security measures? I'd like to know who and what we will be working with in the event of an emergency."

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 04, 2017, 03:20:43 PM

[Main Security]

"I'm glad we could come to an understanding."

Now that that was out of the way, Naira allowed her posture to relax a bit.

She was still trying to get a handle on her new role and responsibilities and wanted to make sure she was doing everything to the best of her abilities. She held no ill will against the Chief of Security, she merely wanted to beef up security measures so that in the off chance that they find themselves in a similar situation again, things aren't allowed to break down as they had. Too many lives had been lost and she didn't want to see that happen under her watch.

"If you would be so kind, can I get a tour of your department and a brief description of your normal security measures? I'd like to know who and what we will be working with in the event of an emergency."

[Main Security]

" Me too Commander " Katheryn replied feeling herself relax a little and to also breathe more normally now that her and the XO had resolved the issues regarding the last mission and for the young Norwegian she didn't want a repeat especially after losing so many from her own department.

When she was asked if she could give the Commander a tour of her department and a brief description of normal security measures not to mention who and what they would be working with during an emergency, Katheryn had no problem agreeing to those requests. " Certainly Commander, we can start at the Brig and work our way back and I can answer those other questions for you as we walk through".

Academy Commandant

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 04, 2017, 03:30:12 PM

[Main Security]

" Me too Commander " Katheryn replied feeling herself relax a little and to also breathe more normally now that her and the XO had resolved the issues regarding the last mission and for the young Norwegian she didn't want a repeat especially after losing so many from her own department.

When she was asked if she could give the Commander a tour of her department and a brief description of normal security measures not to mention who and what they would be working with during an emergency, Katheryn had no problem agreeing to those requests. " Certainly Commander, we can start at the Brig and work our way back and I can answer those other questions for you as we walk through".

[Main Security]

"That sounds fine, please lead the way."

Naira followed the other woman, wanting her to be the one to direct the tour so that she could see first hand what a normal working day might be for someone down in security. "What kind of capacity are we looking at as far as occupants in the brig? Assuming it has occupants, how man officers do you usually station to manning the post? How often would you say, if ever, that a member of this crew has landed themselves in the brig during your time serving as Chief Security Officer?" 

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 04, 2017, 06:25:51 PM

[Main Security]

"That sounds fine, please lead the way."

Naira followed the other woman, wanting her to be the one to direct the tour so that she could see first hand what a normal working day might be for someone down in security. "What kind of capacity are we looking at as far as occupants in the brig? Assuming it has occupants, how man officers do you usually station to manning the post? How often would you say, if ever, that a member of this crew has landed themselves in the brig during your time serving as Chief Security Officer?"

[Main Security]

Katheryn smiled and lead the way through the main hub of the Security department until they reached the Brig on the other side of the deck. It was the standard size for an intrepid class and just in front of the cells was a console and two chairs which were currently empty due to having no one in the Brig itself.

Coming to a stop in front of the console Katheryn then answered the Commander's questions. " We have four double occupancy cells and I have a two person team manning the post on each shift rotation" she replied " During my time as Chief of Security we've only had one instance of a crew member being brought here to cool off after they had gotten into a fight other than that it's been quiet but we regularly maintain the systems and make sure everything is in working order".

Academy Commandant

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Arrun Dihsar on October 04, 2017, 03:44:34 AM

"They are still present as usual; but, what scares me is it isn't his voice I hear them in anymore but my own." he admitted with slow reluctance. "That said, I've taken some of the Shuttle Proficiency and Starship Operations tests again in the holodeck: if anything my response times have improved since I last tested. When I'm working on something the voices warn me of things to worry about before they become an issue. Though I am on the lookout for cloaked ships and the like during the tests." Arrun shook his head. "It's very strange; but, I think I can do my duty. I just wish..." He stopped from saying what he and the Doctor both knew wasn't happening -that he wished the voice would stop forever. It had been a while since the Artifacts had been aboard and, near as Arrun knew, no-one else suffered the same side-effects he had. This was something he might live with the rest of his life -Prophets give him the wisdom to see his way through such a burden. "...Ah, you know." was all he said instead.

Caleb continued to listen and felt a kinship to Arrun. He knew what it felt like to have other voices. Though they had subsided, they were still present from time to time. He learned how to quell them, though the source would eventually need to be met to solve the ever present issues with them.

"I think as you regain normalicy in your life, these thoughts will fade.  A strong influence like that is hard to break. I speak from experience. I think that it's wonderful that you have become more focused. I think the normal methods suggested in the past will still be helpful, but I had one more suggestion. When I was trying to realize I had the negative thoughts, I drew a tick in marker on my arm," Caleb began.

"However, I am not suggesting you mark yourself. Instead I want you to have your PADD read. When you have a negative thought I want you to listen to whose voice it's in. If it is the other one, you draw a tick in one color. When you think it's the other voice you draw a tick in another color. Over time you will see how many thoughts are in your voice. Once you do you can start realizing you have control over them. You are not required to come to any more sessions after this, but if you start noticing more of one color over the other please see me. My office and ears are open for you," When he sad this he gave a warm smile. On his wrist, there was an outline of a mark that just barely peeked out of the cuff of his uniform. 

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Arrun Dihsar

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on October 04, 2017, 07:30:16 PM

Caleb continued to listen and felt a kinship to Arrun. He knew what it felt like to have other voices. Though they had subsided, they were still present from time to time. He learned how to quell them, though the source would eventually need to be met to solve the ever present issues with them.

"I think as you regain normalicy in your life, these thoughts will fade.  A strong influence like that is hard to break. I speak from experience. I think that it's wonderful that you have become more focused. I think the normal methods suggested in the past will still be helpful, but I had one more suggestion. When I was trying to realize I had the negative thoughts, I drew a tick in marker on my arm," Caleb began.

"However, I am not suggesting you mark yourself. Instead I want you to have your PADD read. When you have a negative thought I want you to listen to whose voice it's in. If it is the other one, you draw a tick in one color. When you think it's the other voice you draw a tick in another color. Over time you will see how many thoughts are in your voice. Once you do you can start realizing you have control over them. You are not required to come to any more sessions after this, but if you start noticing more of one color over the other please see me. My office and ears are open for you," When he sad this he gave a warm smile. On his wrist, there was an outline of a mark that just barely peeked out of the cuff of his uniform.

Arrun nodded as the Doctor spoke, not quite looking at him but pensive regarding his words. Keeping a PADD around was going to a little annoying; but, he preferred it over marking his arm as Lt.Brighton had.  "I think I can do that." He said after a moment. "I'll be sure to check in with you if things change." He then looked back to Lieutenant Brighton. "Am I clear to fly then, sir?" Despite all attempts to be eased, Arrun was still his parents' son and saw the pips and uniform before the man. He knew it made for a little distance, a distance he might one day close; but for now, he was fine with Brighton as the CMO, a superior officer, and ship's councilor.

Selden Perren Mestral

[Crew Quarters]

Lissa adjusted the collar of her uniform and quickly pulled her hair up in a ponytail. She eyed the mirror calmly, before checking the time. Despite the apprehension she felt a few hour prior about her new assignment, she had calmed herself with thirty minutes to spare before her shift began.

Looking around her quarters, she looked over some old books she had packed with her before she joined the crew. She absent mindedly flipped through A History of Manhattan and The Journey of Lewis and Clark, the latter of which had fascinated her as a girl, but had grown less interesting as she got older. Exhaling slowly, she put the books down, wondering why she bothered to bring them in the first place. Checking the time again, she found that it was twenty minutes before her shift started.

I could use some time to review my new position... she thought, biting her thumbnail. She stretched her arms, then headed out of her quarters toward the bridge to report for duty.

Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back.
Link to Character Reference: https://www.shadowfleet.org/forum/applications-archive-396/selden-perren-mestral-reporting-in-10118/new/#new

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 04, 2017, 06:47:19 PM

[Main Security]

Katheryn smiled and lead the way through the main hub of the Security department until they reached the Brig on the other side of the deck. It was the standard size for an intrepid class and just in front of the cells was a console and two chairs which were currently empty due to having no one in the Brig itself.

Coming to a stop in front of the console Katheryn then answered the Commander's questions. " We have four double occupancy cells and I have a two person team manning the post on each shift rotation" she replied " During my time as Chief of Security we've only had one instance of a crew member being brought here to cool off after they had gotten into a fight other than that it's been quiet but we regularly maintain the systems and make sure everything is in working order".

[Main Security]

"That's very good to hear."

Security was one department that certainly had an advantage on a small science vessel when compared to a large starbase full of civilians, passing merchants and travelers. With the entire crew consisting of those trained in Starfleet regulations, she didn't expect there to be the drunken disorderlies, arguments that turned physical or grave cultural misunderstanding that might happen in another setting.

She eyed the cells, the console and the empty seats. Everything seemed to be in order here.

"How about the weapons lockers, are they kept locked when not in use? Do you keep records of who has checked out a weapon, which weapons they have, how long they have them and if they have been discharged?"   

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.