Author Topic: Athena Mission 2.8: Skin Scratchers  (Read 34952 times)

Offline James Carter

• Site Administrators
  • Veteran Member
  • Grapefruit.
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Athena Mission 2.8: Skin Scratchers
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:31:54 pm »
Captain's Log, Entry One: Captain. I'm conflicted on how long it's been, one one hand it feels like yesterday that I was assigned here as the ships head of security, yet at the same time it feels like lifetimes have gone by. Which is probably understandable with what we've been through. The ship is current en route from the gamma quadrant to a Federation science outpost carrying a bizarre arrangement of creatures for research purposes.
End Log

[Bridge]

This was far from the first time James had seen the bridge. But this was the first time he'd seen it as HIS bridge. A small smile appeared on his face as he looked over every tiny detail like it was a newly built ship that he was seeing the first time. After a moments hesitantion he quickly made his way to his chair. Again, this wasn't the first time he'd sat in the captains chair, but before he was just filling in. Now it was his chair. The small smile that had appeared on his face before mirrored back on again as he looked over the crew. "Status report. How are we running?" The captain asked trying to hide the giddiness he felt.

Offline Naira

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Athena Mission 2.8: Skin Scratchers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:42:40 pm »
[XO's Office]

Naira wasted no time in transforming the plain and rather sterile looking office into a room that looked as if the hydroponics bay had spilled over. She hung a few of her phosphorescent Orion ferns from the ceiling and placed her favorite carnivorous plants, taken from what had been an extensive collection back on the Columbus, on the side of her new desk.  In the corner of the room, the pump and filtration system of a small aquarium containing an assortment of salt water fish could be heard quietly bubbling away.

When she was satisfied with the placement of everything, she made her way to the bridge. She nodded to each of the officers and crewmen sitting at their stations before she took her own seat.

Never had she dreamed of ending up working on the bridge of a starship. It felt so surreal. At any moment she expected to be called back to sickbay to attend to the latest medical emergency, but that didn't happen. She knew it was all in her head, but this new uniform felt more restrictive than her last. Perhaps it was merely this feeling of having to adjust to her new role.

She just hoped her daughters were making the adjustment better than she was.

She turned to look over at James sitting in the chair next to her and offered him a smile. "Congratulations on your new job. I for one was glad to hear that I'd be serving with you once again."

Offline Susan Venator

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • 'One man's "magic" is another man's engineering!'
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:57:03 pm »
Captain's Log, Entry One: Captain. I'm conflicted on how long it's been, one one hand it feels like yesterday that I was assigned here as the ships head of security, yet at the same time it feels like lifetimes have gone by. Which is probably understandable with what we've been through. The ship is current en route from the gamma quadrant to a Federation science outpost carrying a bizarre arrangement of creatures for research purposes.
End Log

[Bridge]

This was far from the first time James had seen the bridge. But this was the first time he'd seen it as HIS bridge. A small smile appeared on his face as he looked over every tiny detail like it was a newly built ship that he was seeing the first time. After a moments hesitantion he quickly made his way to his chair. Again, this wasn't the first time he'd sat in the captains chair, but before he was just filling in. Now it was his chair. The small smile that had appeared on his face before mirrored back on again as he looked over the crew. "Status report. How are we running?" The captain asked trying to hide the giddiness he felt.

Bridge

Suzie had her shift at Ops and was keeping the systems running smoothly when the new Captain requesting a status report. She gave a small smile.

"All systems are operating at peak efficiency Captain. There is nothing showing on long range sensors and we are travelling at Warp 8. Astrometrics are drawing more power to do a deep scan of a nearby nebula and there is a request from the cybernetics department to run a project that will require a significant drain on resources. You should have the request." She reported.

Species: Betazoid
Bio: Susan Venator Bio Alt of Lizzie Vaughan

Offline Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:01:41 pm »
stupid as to get yourself shot with a bioweapon he insisted. he stated, before realizing that that admission might have just made things much, much worse. He quickly backtracked. he said, followed by a short pause. He offered, a bit too late, about ready to melt into his chair.

Ash narrowed her eyes at the man on the screen in front of her. Starfleet Captain or no, he deserved the reprimand he had coming to him. She didn't bother taking the time to close her door before chastising him... thoroughly, and her elevated voice could be heard in the corridor by anyone walking past.

Offline Caleb Brighton

• Approved Applicants
  • Trusted Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Three year award Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 03:24:57 pm »
[ Medical Bay - CMO's Office ]

Caleb sighed a bit as he headed toward the medical bay. When the news hit that Catrin had to leave suddenly, there was barely time to have a proper goodbye. It weighed on him for a while, but he smiled when he reached his new office. His hand ran over the dark wood of the large table top of his desk. Directly in the middle he noticed a rather large box wrapped in a silver bow. In front of it sat two cards he sat down and opened the first card. It was from Catrin.

"Hey There Brightstar,

As you already know, I had to head home for a while. Mom needs my help as she is very sick. Don't let the double promotion go to your head. I know you won't let the medical bay go to shambles.

Hope to see you soon,
Catnip

P.S. Remember to not overwork and to stay hydrated. We don't need more demon butterflies
"

Caleb chuckled before he reached for the other card. He immediately recognized Katheryn's handwriting. He sat back for a moment so he could read the other card. The personal touched to his office would need to be made later because as soon as he was finished with the cards and gift on his desk, it would be time for his normal team huddle.

"To my Steamy,

I am so incredibly proud of you. You're going to be as awsome as ever. Catrin and I pitched in together to get this for you. She says it will help with those rough counseling sessions.

Love you with all my heart and soul,

Kayla xoxo
"

Caleb smiled widely as he began to unwrap the box on his desk. He chuckled as he opened it. He pulled out a crystal bottle and glass set that was on a a dark wood serving tray that matched his desk. He uncorked the bottle, that had DJ engraved on it, and took a smell. His mind when immediately back to the jungle clinic. It was his favorite whiskey when he was relaxing during his off times in his office. He had spent moths trying to perfect the recipe and it seemed like the two had finally gotten it down.

He took a moment to place his new gift on the end table that was located in the corner of his office next to two armchairs that would be used for counseling. Once he did, he smiled before placing both cards back on his desk standing up. He would have to personalize his office later. He grabbed his PADD and headed out to greet his staff for their morning huddle.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Offline Katheryn Brighton

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded by the FCO to the executive officer who performs best. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 03:37:31 pm »
[Medical Bay]

With Morgan overseeing the Tactical on the Bridge, Katheryn wanted to call at the Medical Bay to remind Caleb and the others about the phaser practice she was currently scheduled to run at the weapons range for not only the medical staff but anyone who wished to refresh their skills especially after what had happened during the last mission with Krem and to also see if he had received the gift that her and Catrin had gotten him in order to celebrate his recent double promotion.

She was incredibly proud of her husband to be and with recent events still fresh it had come at the right time and was also well deserved. Walking through the main doors she spotted him coming out of his new office and smiled as she approached him and his team. " Hey there Cal, did you like the gift ?".

Academy Commandant

Offline D'Vid

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:38:28 pm »
[Crew quarters]

The recent few missions had taken a mental toll on the El-Aurian. Being a victim to the Krem artifacts had taken the Engineer on down time. He had requested or it was ordered he take the needed time off. He was glad to do so.

He even could not look in the mirror. The image of Krem was to be looked. It had left a good memory print. He understood he was not in control. His body was taken over. The fact he was out in space without a suit and murdered crew members on the ship. Yes. He was not in control. It was not held against him. It was not a crime but he slaughtered them.

Once  again he closed his eyes to try to do a El-Aurian meditation to ease his crazy mind from going over and over on how he had no control which he could not remember but the words on the report just stuck to his memory. It was like a dream and it was all real.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Offline Arrun Dihsar

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Knowing your destiny is only half the journey.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 02:18:47 am »
[Enroute to Medical Bay]
Arrun touched his collar again, it was still somewhat surreal to him to have risen in rank to Lieutenant Junior Grade. He had not served long aboard the Athena or with Starfleet as a whole all that long; perhaps it helped he served as a Flight Officer aboard an Admiral's ship; perhaps, the shuffle in ranks aboard had freed up promotion space above him. Whatever the case, Arrun had not quite internalized his rise, especially given his time with Krem the Destroyer.

Some nights, he could still hear the paranoid thoughts and fears of that long-dead warlord. He had been assured time and again he had nothing of the artifacts left in his body; but the Klingon's words echoed in his memory and spirit all the same. For a while, he had been seeing the Ship's Counselor: working out his own thoughts and fears. When he had been told Asklat had transferred off the Athena, Arrun felt personally responsible: even though the Cardassian crewman had told him that he had done nothing wrong.

With the shift in ranks and roles, Arrun was due for his final day of counseling with Lt. Brighton, the ship's doctor and counselor in one. He had not spent much time with the man, save for his initial posting to gain approvals for incense and to ensure his dietary choices were in line with ship's regulations and the doctor's approval. Mostly perfunctory, but now he needed to check in with him to make sure he was fit for duty once again.

[Medical Bay]
When Arrun arrived at the Medical Bay, he noted the room was a bit busy and stood within eyesight of Lt. Brighton but did not approach to interrupt his conversation with Lt. Carter. For a brief moment, he felt a chill as he thought of the various reasons the Ship's Doctor and the Chief of Security could be meeting; but he blinked his eyes and focused on what was immediate and present. The feel of his feet in his shoes, the temperature of the room, the sounds of the various computer consoles within the bay; he needed to draw his focus away from his negative thoughts and onto the task at hand.

Offline James Carter

• Site Administrators
  • Veteran Member
  • Grapefruit.
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 05:06:10 am »
She turned to look over at James sitting in the chair next to her and offered him a smile. "Congratulations on your new job. I for one was glad to hear that I'd be serving with you once again."
"All systems are operating at peak efficiency Captain. There is nothing showing on long range sensors and we are travelling at Warp 8. Astrometrics are drawing more power to do a deep scan of a nearby nebula and there is a request from the cybernetics department to run a project that will require a significant drain on resources. You should have the request." She reported.

[Bridge]

With the arrival of his new first officer, James immediately came back to a stand and extended his hand. "It's my pleasure to have you back Lieutenant Commander. Congratulations are in order for you as well it seems." He offered a warm smile before turning to Ms. Venator to reply to her report. "I trust that if things start to go sideways you'll promptly make sure I know yeah?"

Offline Susan Venator

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • 'One man's "magic" is another man's engineering!'
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 11:32:05 am »
[Bridge]

With the arrival of his new first officer, James immediately came back to a stand and extended his hand. "It's my pleasure to have you back Lieutenant Commander. Congratulations are in order for you as well it seems." He offered a warm smile before turning to Ms. Venator to reply to her report. "I trust that if things start to go sideways you'll promptly make sure I know yeah?"

Bridge

Suzie nodded in response to the Captain's request.

"Aye Captain." She replied, before turning back to the myriad of data flashing across her console.

Species: Betazoid
Bio: Susan Venator Bio Alt of Lizzie Vaughan

Offline Naira

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 12:24:50 pm »
[Bridge]

[Bridge]

Naira felt awkward sitting in a chair while her new Captain chose to rise to his feet to greet her. It was similar to how she had felt when she was first getting to know Stafford and he chose to hold professional meetings while half swallowed by a bean bag chair. In both cases, she felt it was inappropriate for her to stand, or in this case sit, at a different level than her superior.

She too rose to her feet and met his extended hand with her own.

"Thank you."

Though his joke, at least she hoped it was a joke, about the ship going sideways didn't sit too well with her. After six months of living on a starbase, she was just trying to regain her footing on a starship and get used to traveling at warp speeds again. She hoped any tricky maneuvering would be saved for extreme emergencies only.

"Is there anything you would like me to do before we reach our destination? If not, I would like to take some time to further get to know some of the crew, the department heads and familiarize myself with the duty rosters."

Offline James Carter

• Site Administrators
  • Veteran Member
  • Grapefruit.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 01:43:56 pm »
[Bridge]

Naira felt awkward sitting in a chair while her new Captain chose to rise to his feet to greet her. It was similar to how she had felt when she was first getting to know Stafford and he chose to hold professional meetings while half swallowed by a bean bag chair. In both cases, she felt it was inappropriate for her to stand, or in this case sit, at a different level than her superior.

She too rose to her feet and met his extended hand with her own.

"Thank you."

Though his joke, at least she hoped it was a joke, about the ship going sideways didn't sit too well with her. After six months of living on a starbase, she was just trying to regain her footing on a starship and get used to traveling at warp speeds again. She hoped any tricky maneuvering would be saved for extreme emergencies only.

"Is there anything you would like me to do before we reach our destination? If not, I would like to take some time to further get to know some of the crew, the department heads and familiarize myself with the duty rosters."

[Bridge]

James shook his head immediately releasing her hand. "Should be smooth sailing. But keep your comm badge on, if something comes up I'll page you. Until then, your first priority should be getting to know the team." His biggest mistake when he took the job was remaining somewhat closed off at the start. A problem which he was only now starting to overcome.

Offline Caleb Brighton

• Approved Applicants
  • Trusted Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Three year award Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 01:45:23 pm »
She was incredibly proud of her husband to be and with recent events still fresh it had come at the right time and was also well deserved. Walking through the main doors she spotted him coming out of his new office and smiled as she approached him and his team. " Hey there Cal, did you like the gift ?".

[ Medical Bay ]

"I absolutely loved it. It was perfect,"Caleb said giving her a quick kiss. He then put his fingers in a perfect way in order to get his staff's attention. "Everyone it's that time," He said. As he spoke, all his staff got to a good stopping point and turned to face him. "Ok today is going to be like any normal day. We have no major surgeries scheduled. Wendy you and Al have a few patients waiting. I looked over the lab results and concur. Great job you two. As for everyone else, take in everyone as they come in like any other day. Right now however we have a special treat."

Caleb then turned to face Katheryn "The wonderful Katheryn has agreed to help demonstrate some phaser protocol. After last mission, I want us all to be prepared for the worst if it should happen. I want everyone in here to give her your full attention as if it was me speaking. I have the clinic opening a bit later specifically so you can have the time for this. It does not matter that she is my fiance, you better treat this like if I was up there. Now, I will be in and out of meetings today, but if things get too crazy do not hesitate to call me and open our newly added second OR.  I will now turn the floor to her," he said. He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and then walked over to Arrun.

When Arrun arrived at the Medical Bay, he noted the room was a bit busy and stood within eyesight of Lt. Brighton but did not approach to interrupt his conversation with Lt. Carter. For a brief moment, he felt a chill as he thought of the various reasons the Ship's Doctor and the Chief of Security could be meeting; but he blinked his eyes and focused on what was immediate and present. The feel of his feet in his shoes, the temperature of the room, the sounds of the various computer consoles within the bay; he needed to draw his focus away from his negative thoughts and onto the task at hand.

"Welcome Arrun," Caleb said with a smile. "Come with me and we can discuss things in my office. It will be easier to hear one another there. Don't be nervous because I was in the same boat as you once." Caleb then began to lead Arrun toward his office.

[ Medical Bay - Caleb's Office ]

Caleb directed Arrun to sit at the pair of comfortable armchairs positioned openly at one end of his office. "Please have a seat," he said. Once Arrun was in the office he slowly shut the door. Once he sat down, he smiled again. "First off I wanted to say congratulations," he said once he got situated with his PADD. The way he sat, he showed he wanted to be open and really listen.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Offline Katheryn Brighton

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded by the FCO to the executive officer who performs best. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 02:07:00 pm »
[Medical Bay]

[ Medical Bay ]

"I absolutely loved it. It was perfect,"Caleb said giving her a quick kiss. He then put his fingers in a perfect way in order to get his staff's attention. "Everyone it's that time," He said. As he spoke, all his staff got to a good stopping point and turned to face him. "Ok today is going to be like any normal day. We have no major surgeries scheduled. Wendy you and Al have a few patients waiting. I looked over the lab results and concur. Great job you two. As for everyone else, take in everyone as they come in like any other day. Right now however we have a special treat."

Caleb then turned to face Katheryn "The wonderful Katheryn has agreed to help demonstrate some phaser protocol. After last mission, I want us all to be prepared for the worst if it should happen. I want everyone in here to give her your full attention as if it was me speaking. I have the clinic opening a bit later specifically so you can have the time for this. It does not matter that she is my fiance, you better treat this like if I was up there. Now, I will be in and out of meetings today, but if things get too crazy do not hesitate to call me and open our newly added second OR.  I will now turn the floor to her," he said. He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and then walked over to Arrun.

[Medical Bay]

Katheryn turned slightly as she heard the doors to Sickbay open and smiled as Lt Arrun walked in before Caleb spoke to her and gave her a quick kiss. Savouring those few seconds before he got down to business with his daily huddle and watched as he addressed his staff. She always admired the way he was with them and how they respected him and she enjoyed their company whenever she was down here although wasn't planning on being injured again anytime soon.

Then when he turned to her and explained why she was here, she hadn't quite expected to do any demonstrations in Sickbay but considering neither Caleb or any of his staff could really leave at the moment it made a lot more sense for her to at least give the basics until they were able to visit the weapons range. Plus she figured she could do this and still go down there if anyone else contacted her about learning more.

Listening with interest as he continued talking again smiling at the way he spoke about her and kissed her cheek before he finished the huddle and handed things over so he could meet with Arrun. Turning to face Wendy, Al, Ed and the others as Cal took Arrun into the office.

" Right everyone as the Chief said I'm here to show you all some basic phaser protocol with the aim to have you come by the weapons range to learn more and have you all proficient especially when it comes to an emergency" she said " Now if you will follow me, we can get started " she added as she walked over to the case of phasers she had requested and opened them, gesturing for them to take one each and began showing them the protocols.

Academy Commandant

Offline Arrun Dihsar

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Knowing your destiny is only half the journey.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 02:17:35 pm »
[ Medical Bay ]
"Welcome Arrun," Caleb said with a smile. "Come with me and we can discuss things in my office. It will be easier to hear one another there. Don't be nervous because I was in the same boat as you once." Caleb then began to lead Arrun toward his office.

[ Medical Bay - Caleb's Office ]

Caleb directed Arrun to sit at the pair of comfortable armchairs positioned openly at one end of his office. "Please have a seat," he said. Once Arrun was in the office he slowly shut the door. Once he sat down, he smiled again. "First off I wanted to say congratulations," he said once he got situated with his PADD. The way he sat, he showed he wanted to be open and really listen.
[Medical Bay]
Arrun waited patiently as Lt. Brighton gave his morning brief for the medical department. It seemed the Athena ran a lot looser in formality than his parents ever ran the colony or the Academy itself. It was not an unwelcome change by any means, but it was something that Arrun would get used to; well, he hoped so at least. When invited to follow he nodded in acknowledgement and restrained himself from snapping to attention; this wasn't the Academy and he wasn't a fresh ensign anymore. "I'll try, sir." Was all he said as he followed after the Doctor.

[Medical Bay - Caleb's Office]
Arrun was glad to take a seat and take mental accounting of its softness and the relative quiet of the office from the Medical Bay and indeed the rest of the ship. He then turned his full attention to the Doctor and smiled at the congratulation. "Thank you, sir. To be honest, I am surprised at the promotion. I was not about to argue it, but, I wonder sometimes if I deserve it; but, even if one does not understand a thing that does not make it any less true a thing." Arrun knew he was a hard-working pilot, in fact he was told by his Department Head that he worked too much; not a single fellow pilot had protested his advancement; they just congratulated him, just like the friendly doctor had.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles