Author Topic: Counselor's Office (Open: See First Post)  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Amynta Lianez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Counselor's Office (Open: See First Post)
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:23:30 pm »
Welcome to the ship's counselor's office! Amynta Lianez, the Shran's new counselor, is having normal appointments with anyone on the ship in need of an appointment--or dragged to one against their will for a psych eval.

Essentially anyone is welcome, but obviously only one person can be in an appointment at a time. It was actually Kira's idea that I open this to anyone, as a running thread, so thanks to them!

Amynta sat at her desk, awaiting her newest client. She was looking forward to speaking with the members of the crew and getting to know them, but she was more than a little bit nervous. All she could do now was wait, and hope that she was able to help them, little by little, the way her counselor had helped her. When her door chirped, she jumped a little and sat up straighter in her chair. "Enter!"

Species: Trill (Unjoined)
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."  Shakespeare (Hamlet)

Offline Kira Wyman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Counselor's Office (Open: See First Post)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:36:48 am »
Outside of Counseling Office

After being ordered for a psych evaluation after being on the ship for a few days, Kira forced herself to go and get the evaluation out of the way. She wasn't the biggest fan of evaluations, it was like going somewhere to dig out all of the bad parts of your past, and Kira had a lot of bad parts.

Shed forced herself to go anyway and as she arrived at the door, she stopped and pressed the door chime, waiting to be summoned upon the counselor's request. It was only a few seconds later she got a reply.

When her door chirped, she jumped a little and sat up straighter in her chair. "Enter!"

Kira pressed the little interface at the side of the door, and it slid open. She walked in, right up to the counselor's desk and stopped just before it. "Lieutenant Kira Wyman, I'm here for my evaluation." Kira finished.

Click Image to view Bio!
'Discipline strengthens the mind so that it becomes impervious to the corroding influence of fear.' - Bernard Montgomery

Offline Amynta Lianez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:44:05 pm »
Amynta rose from her chair with a smile, and offered her hand to the Lieutenant. "Welcome. I'm glad to see you, Ms. Wyman. I'm sure you know already, but I'm Amynta Lianez, ship's counselor. I normally go by Amynta, but you're welcome to call me whichever name makes you most comfortable."

She could already tell that the other woman looked uncomfortable, and she hoped the friendly greeting would help her to settle down a little. She had already put in a request to get more normal furniture for her office, perhaps a sofa and a house plant, to make that more welcoming as well. As it was, it was just as sterile as many of the offices in Star Fleet could be, with streamlined furniture and a single piece of unidentifiable sculptural art on a table by the door.

"The goal today isn't to put you on the spot at all, it's just to check in and see how you're feeling about the new position, and about life in general."

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."  Shakespeare (Hamlet)

Offline Kira Wyman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »
Amynta rose from her chair with a smile, and offered her hand to the Lieutenant. "Welcome. I'm glad to see you, Ms. Wyman. I'm sure you know already, but I'm Amynta Lianez, ship's counselor. I normally go by Amynta, but you're welcome to call me whichever name makes you most comfortable."

She could already tell that the other woman looked uncomfortable, and she hoped the friendly greeting would help her to settle down a little. She had already put in a request to get more normal furniture for her office, perhaps a sofa and a house plant, to make that more welcoming as well. As it was, it was just as sterile as many of the offices in Star Fleet could be, with streamlined furniture and a single piece of unidentifiable sculptural art on a table by the door.

"The goal today isn't to put you on the spot at all, it's just to check in and see how you're feeling about the new position, and about life in general."

Kira took the counselor's hand and shook it, lowering it back down to her side after. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Amynta." Kira said, deciding that she'd prefer to call her by her first name. 'Usually they feel like just another by the book counselor. Not this one though. This one seems different.' Kira thought to herself about the Trill.

Kira nodded when the counselor said it was just a checkup and sat down on the chair opposite the woman's desk. "Ask away, Amynta. I imagine you've read my file and have a basic idea of my previous service?"

'I'm probably marked down for priority or something.' Kira thought.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:27:04 pm by Kira Wyman »

Click Image to view Bio!
'Discipline strengthens the mind so that it becomes impervious to the corroding influence of fear.' - Bernard Montgomery

Offline Amynta Lianez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:30 pm »
Amynta sat back down at her desk, nodding. "I did read what I could, but your life must be very interesting; a great deal of it classified, so I only got the barest minimum of details." She smiled again, shrugging her shoulders. She didn't want to put any pressure on right away, it would be easier to start small and work their way up to bigger issues. If she hadn't covered everything she needed to within half an hour or so, then she'd get out the questionaire, but she had found that asking people directly if they were depressed or suicidal often led to more defensive reactions than open discussions. This approach was more comfortable for her, and for the client. "We can start there, if you like. What do you usually tell people who ask about your history? You don't need to share anything you're not comfortable telling me."

Offline Kira Wyman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 05:27:43 am »
Amynta sat back down at her desk, nodding. "I did read what I could, but your life must be very interesting; a great deal of it classified, so I only got the barest minimum of details." She smiled again, shrugging her shoulders. She didn't want to put any pressure on right away, it would be easier to start small and work their way up to bigger issues. If she hadn't covered everything she needed to within half an hour or so, then she'd get out the questionaire, but she had found that asking people directly if they were depressed or suicidal often led to more defensive reactions than open discussions. This approach was more comfortable for her, and for the client. "We can start there, if you like. What do you usually tell people who ask about your history? You don't need to share anything you're not comfortable telling me."

Kira wasn't sure why some of her file was classified. Yes, maybe the stuff she'd just done with intelligence as a commander was classified, but when she was an ensign? She presumed that wouldn't be classified and she sure as hell didn't keep it from anyone, anyway. "When I first joined intelligence, upon graduation, I wasn't in intelligence for long. There was an Yridian in intelligence with me and we didn't like each other. I said something bad to him, he cut my jugular, slightly with a knife, and then I knocked him onto the floor in self defence." She paused for a moment, letting out a small sigh. "And then I was court martialed and plead guilty. I was sentenced to thirty days in confinement and discharged during that time. And then, even though I was unaware of it, tensions started to rise between the federation and the Klingon empire and Obsidian order."

"A war broke out between us, the Klingons, and the Obsidian order. Someone had gave them a tip or something because when they attacked the star base, they boarded and came for me. I was taken as a prisoner of war, to a planet called Hearnn 3." Kira paused for a moment to take a breath and think about what happened next. She decided she'd explain her situation more simply than she needed to. She rolled up the sleeve on her right arm and placed it onto the table. A rather large scar ran from around the bottom of her forearm to just before her elbow. "I was... Tortured, they wanted intelligence information but I didn't have it. And what little of it I did have, I wouldn't tell them." Kira moved her hand back to her side and pushed her sleeve back down. "They took their time, probably about a week, until star fleet finally took the planet back. My charge of misconduct was forgotten and I took time off with the money I had." Kira paused to let the counselor react before she'd continue to speak. She'd just forced quite a lot on the young woman in a few minutes so she guessed she'd probably want to absorb it all, ask any questions she may have.

Click Image to view Bio!

Offline Amynta Lianez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:53:06 am »
Kira wasn't sure why some of her file was classified. Yes, maybe the stuff she'd just done with intelligence as a commander was classified, but when she was an ensign? She presumed that wouldn't be classified and she sure as hell didn't keep it from anyone, anyway. "When I first joined intelligence, upon graduation, I wasn't in intelligence for long. There was an Yridian in intelligence with me and we didn't like each other. I said something bad to him, he cut my jugular, slightly with a knife, and then I knocked him onto the floor in self defence." She paused for a moment, letting out a small sigh. "And then I was court martialed and plead guilty. I was sentenced to thirty days in confinement and discharged during that time. And then, even though I was unaware of it, tensions started to rise between the federation and the Klingon empire and Obsidian order."

"A war broke out between us, the Klingons, and the Obsidian order. Someone had gave them a tip or something because when they attacked the star base, they boarded and came for me. I was taken as a prisoner of war, to a planet called Hearnn 3." Kira paused for a moment to take a breath and think about what happened next. She decided she'd explain her situation more simply than she needed to. She rolled up the sleeve on her right arm and placed it onto the table. A rather large scar ran from around the bottom of her forearm to just before her elbow. "I was... Tortured, they wanted intelligence information but I didn't have it. And what little of it I did have, I wouldn't tell them." Kira moved her hand back to her side and pushed her sleeve back down. "They took their time, probably about a week, until star fleet finally took the planet back. My charge of misconduct was forgotten and I took time off with the money I had." Kira paused to let the counselor react before she'd continue to speak. She'd just forced quite a lot on the young woman in a few minutes so she guessed she'd probably want to absorb it all, ask any questions she may have.

Well. Amynta could certainly see why the report had been vague about several things. There had been hardly any detail as to the 'unbecoming behavior' (it was listed simply as a physical altercation with a crewmate) and even less regarding her capture and detainment during the war--something told her that the more military side of Star Fleet wasn't eager to give someone as low ranked as her a great amount of information regarding wartime events, and especially under the circumstances. In reality, however, Amynta had made a conscious choice not to dig up further records of either thing. She wanted to hear it from the lieutenant first, get her side with no bias to filter it through, before she requested access to those files.

"That's quite an experience." The counselor answered slowly, turning the information over in her mind. She couldn't even imagine being a POW, let alone being tortured for information. "I can see why you decided to take a break after something like that, but why return? You could easily have found a less dangerous profession."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:55:26 am by Amynta Lianez »

Offline Kira Wyman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 03:40:55 pm »
Well. Amynta could certainly see why the report had been vague about several things. There had been hardly any detail as to the 'unbecoming behavior' (it was listed simply as a physical altercation with a crewmate) and even less regarding her capture and detainment during the war--something told her that the more military side of Star Fleet wasn't eager to give someone as low ranked as her a great amount of information regarding wartime events, and especially under the circumstances. In reality, however, Amynta had made a conscious choice not to dig up further records of either thing. She wanted to hear it from the lieutenant first, get her side with no bias to filter it through, before she requested access to those files.

"That's quite an experience." The counselor answered slowly, turning the information over in her mind. She couldn't even imagine being a POW, let alone being tortured for information. "I can see why you decided to take a break after something like that, but why return? You could easily have found a less dangerous profession."

Kira shrugged and innocently smiled. "I don't know what made me want to come back. Unfinished business, I guess. I didn't want to go back home and work on the farm, and I didn't want to be security guard or anything. So I came right back." Kira paused, then continued her story.

"I came back around the time the war had ended, I must've got bored of waiting and given that the war had finished off, it'd be a bit less intense." She paused for a moment. "I was assigned to the Chin'Toka, and met my fiancee. His name was Tom, Tom Richards. I thought he was the one, we had some good times together and we were always on the same ship. But I guess it wasn't meant to be." Kira went slightly red in the face and sighed. "The ship was boarded and Tom was killed in the crossfire."

Click Image to view Bio!

Offline Amynta Lianez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 04:54:10 pm »
Kira shrugged and innocently smiled. "I don't know what made me want to come back. Unfinished business, I guess. I didn't want to go back home and work on the farm, and I didn't want to be security guard or anything. So I came right back." Kira paused, then continued her story.

"I came back around the time the war had ended, I must've got bored of waiting and given that the war had finished off, it'd be a bit less intense." She paused for a moment. "I was assigned to the Chin'Toka, and met my fiancee. His name was Tom, Tom Richards. I thought he was the one, we had some good times together and we were always on the same ship. But I guess it wasn't meant to be." Kira went slightly red in the face and sighed. "The ship was boarded and Tom was killed in the crossfire."

Amynta had noticed that coming back to Star Fleet despite past trauma seemed to be a trend with many of its seasoned officers, no matter what horrifying things they had seen. The anonymous psych profiles she had studied in the academy often showed an inexplicable addiction to being in space, the drama and action of it all, the chance to make a difference in the vast unknown. She herself felt that same desire, albeit to a lower degree than some of the command and security staff. She wondered what it was about this place that called them all back, which some on earth called "l'appel du vide" or the call of the void--the instinct to jump from high places or explore the void of space.

When the lieutenant mentioned her fiance, however, Amynta had to fight to keep her face as calm as possible, although she was sure a flicker of surprise and concern passed over it before she regained control. All this, and the woman still smiled at her? It was amazing that this woman was even sitting in the same room as her, let alone smiling. Either she was coping fantastically with a great deal of stressors in her life, or she was fantastic at hiding her feelings. Instinctively she leaned a bit towards her client, watching her facial expressions even more closely.

"First, let me say that I am deeply sorry for your loss; losing someone you have bonded with so closely is often like losing a part of yourself. You seem more nostalgic than anything, however; would you say that you have come to terms with his loss?"

Offline Kira Wyman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 04:59:37 pm »
Amynta had noticed that coming back to Star Fleet despite past trauma seemed to be a trend with many of its seasoned officers, no matter what horrifying things they had seen. The anonymous psych profiles she had studied in the academy often showed an inexplicable addiction to being in space, the drama and action of it all, the chance to make a difference in the vast unknown. She herself felt that same desire, albeit to a lower degree than some of the command and security staff. She wondered what it was about this place that called them all back, which some on earth called "l'appel du vide" or the call of the void--the instinct to jump from high places or explore the void of space.

When the lieutenant mentioned her fiance, however, Amynta had to fight to keep her face as calm as possible, although she was sure a flicker of surprise and concern passed over it before she regained control. All this, and the woman still smiled at her? It was amazing that this woman was even sitting in the same room as her, let alone smiling. Either she was coping fantastically with a great deal of stressors in her life, or she was fantastic at hiding her feelings. Instinctively she leaned a bit towards her client, watching her facial expressions even more closely.

"First, let me say that I am deeply sorry for your loss; losing someone you have bonded with so closely is often like losing a part of yourself. You seem more nostalgic than anything, however; would you say that you have come to terms with his loss?"

"Have I come to terms with it? I'm not sure. Can I deal with it? Yes, I think so. I miss him, a great deal, but I won't let it get the better of me. Will grievance come? I'm not sure, Probably." Kira paused for a moment and rubbed her hand through her hair, sighing as she did. "I've asked myself these questions countless times and I'm not sure what most of the answers are myself... I imagine it'll all come falling down at some point. But until then, we'll see."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:32:45 pm by Kira Wyman »

Click Image to view Bio!

Offline Amynta Lianez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 09:26:39 pm »
"Have I come to terms with it? I'm not sure. Can I deal with it? Yes, I think so. I miss him, a great deal, but I won't let it get the better of me. Will grievance come? I'm not sure, Probably." Kira paused for a moment and rubbed her hand through her hair, sighing as she did. "I've asked myself these questions countless times and I'm not sure what most of the answers are myself... I imagine it'll all come falling down at some point. But until then, we'll see."

Amynta smiled softly at her client, glad to hear her thoughts on the matter. Her response indicated that she was grieving in her own way, and thankfully didn't seem to be purposely avoiding the feelings, or wallowing in them unnecessarily. Not only that, but her attitude of allowing time to run its course showed a fairly healthy system of coping with emotions in general. "That's to be expected, I suppose. There's no way to avoid grief completely, but you seem to be taking it one day at a time, which is a good strategy. If you ever do find that it comes 'falling down' like you said, you're welcome to come and see me again, of course."

She paused a moment before  changing the subject, hoping to give her something more positive to talk about. "This may seem like an odd question from someone like me, especially after such a serious topic, but how do you spend your free time? Is there a particular hobby you enjoy?"

Offline Kira Wyman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 01:01:05 pm »
Amynta smiled softly at her client, glad to hear her thoughts on the matter. Her response indicated that she was grieving in her own way, and thankfully didn't seem to be purposely avoiding the feelings, or wallowing in them unnecessarily. Not only that, but her attitude of allowing time to run its course showed a fairly healthy system of coping with emotions in general. "That's to be expected, I suppose. There's no way to avoid grief completely, but you seem to be taking it one day at a time, which is a good strategy. If you ever do find that it comes 'falling down' like you said, you're welcome to come and see me again, of course."

She paused a moment before  changing the subject, hoping to give her something more positive to talk about. "This may seem like an odd question from someone like me, especially after such a serious topic, but how do you spend your free time? Is there a particular hobby you enjoy?"

Kira nodded in acknowledgement to Amynta's invite to come whenever she needed to. After Amynta asked her question, Kira paused for a moment, thinking of what she does in her spare times. "Well, I have a black belt in taekwondo so I like to keep myself up to date with that, so I don't get rusty. I sit at the bar, read, watch old Earth movies. I haven't particularly had the time to make lost of new friends at the moment, so I see some people during my time but not too many, I'm still adjusting to being on the ship." Kira paused momentarily, making sure she hadn't missed anything. "I guess that's about it, at the moment, nothing too exciting." Kira finished.

Click Image to view Bio!

Offline Amynta Lianez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 10:19:58 pm »
Kira nodded in acknowledgement to Amynta's invite to come whenever she needed to. After Amynta asked her question, Kira paused for a moment, thinking of what she does in her spare times. "Well, I have a black belt in taekwondo so I like to keep myself up to date with that, so I don't get rusty. I sit at the bar, read, watch old Earth movies. I haven't particularly had the time to make lost of new friends at the moment, so I see some people during my time but not too many, I'm still adjusting to being on the ship." Kira paused momentarily, making sure she hadn't missed anything. "I guess that's about it, at the moment, nothing too exciting." Kira finished.

While Kira might not find that interesting, Amynta was mentally checking off the things that her psychological evaluation had to determine. The lieutenant was physically active, regularly took time to recuperate on her own, and showed no evidence of antisocial tendencies. So far, so good. She nodded again as she formulated her next question, trying to get a bit more information without being too nosy.

"On the contrary, that sounds fairly exciting to me. You know a very specialized martial art, you make time to stimulate your brain with reading, and you also give yourself more of a break by watching films. It's a wonder you can maintain all that while still getting enough sleep. As for friends, is there anyone you've begun to...ah...I believe the idiom is 'hit it off with'?"

Offline Kira Wyman

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 05:47:39 pm »
While Kira might not find that interesting, Amynta was mentally checking off the things that her psychological evaluation had to determine. The lieutenant was physically active, regularly took time to recuperate on her own, and showed no evidence of antisocial tendencies. So far, so good. She nodded again as she formulated her next question, trying to get a bit more information without being too nosy.

"On the contrary, that sounds fairly exciting to me. You know a very specialized martial art, you make time to stimulate your brain with reading, and you also give yourself more of a break by watching films. It's a wonder you can maintain all that while still getting enough sleep. As for friends, is there anyone you've begun to...ah...I believe the idiom is 'hit it off with'?"

Kira listened to the counselor talk and shook her head at her question. She'd only been on the ship for a short period of time and most of that time had made her occupied. Kira even surprised herself, knowing how much she managed to fit in, in a week. "Not yet, however I'm sure it'll come. We've been busy, as you already know, so I've mostly kept to myself. I'm sure as the ship calms down a little, I'll be able to find a good friend. Kay and Zex seem to be nice, but as I said, work has got in the way of socialising recently." Kira finished.

Click Image to view Bio!

Offline Amynta Lianez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 04:35:58 pm »
Kira listened to the counselor talk and shook her head at her question. She'd only been on the ship for a short period of time and most of that time had made her occupied. Kira even surprised herself, knowing how much she managed to fit in, in a week. "Not yet, however I'm sure it'll come. We've been busy, as you already know, so I've mostly kept to myself. I'm sure as the ship calms down a little, I'll be able to find a good friend. Kay and Zex seem to be nice, but as I said, work has got in the way of socialising recently." Kira finished.

"Believe me, I understand on that front," Amynta replied with a slight laugh. Things on the Shran had certainly been interesting, from crew additions to beaming strange Romulan traitors off of exploding ships, they'd had their hands full. Still, she was glad to see that Kira seemed to be fairly positive about her start. "I'm sure that you and the other ladies on the bridge will be thick as thieves in no time. Being put together in such harrowing situations creates some of the strongest bonds, no matter what species you're working with." She smiled brightly. "You did a nice job of staying composed through all of our...adventures, too."

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles