News:

The Federation Ban on Synthetic Life has been lifted.

Main Menu

Dream Star Trek Game

Started by Arrun Dihsar, August 30, 2017, 03:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrun Dihsar

So many video games, some even Sci-Fi. Bioware not quite the great company it was in the KOTOR/DragonAge/MassEffect era, and yet no Great Star Trek adventure games.

The kind I remember fondly are the point and click adventure titles they had for TNG and TOS; mainly out of Interplay; and of course the Starfleet Academy game on the SNES console.

So, I ask of you all: what is the dream video game you would like to see be made?

For me, it would be a modern console (and/or PC) release of the Starfleet Academy game. New visuals, covering the new ships, maybe get Janeway and Picard to chime in a line or two; I am sure Sulu or Checkov would love to get in front of an official camera. And with modern day graphics, I think it would look just amazing. If they really must, they could get the Alternate Universe stuff in too. Though mixing in away team missions would be nice.

Alright, going to cheat a little here. I think the other dream game would be a VR game where you not ONLY were on the bridge of a starship but got to move about the ship and go on away missions. Maybe in my lifetime, maybe.

ANYway...

What's yours?

Naira

Quote from: Arrun Dihsar on August 30, 2017, 03:35:51 AM

Alright, going to cheat a little here. I think the other dream game would be a VR game where you not ONLY were on the bridge of a starship but got to move about the ship and go on away missions. Maybe in my lifetime, maybe.

ANYway...

What's yours?

I was saying this exact thing to my husband before Bridge Crew came out. I would like one where you could move around the ship to different decks and departments and interact with the equipment. I even suggested that they could do this by using a turbolift as a loadscreen between levels such as what they did in the Portal games.

However, I understand why they chose not to do this. The way Bridge Crew is set up, it confines you to a chair/station thus making it compatible with both the oculus rift and the vibe (I can't remember if there are any plans to release it on Playstation VR), but if they wanted to allow you to actually walk around it would only be accessible to us vibe owners and right now we make up a smaller portion of the VR community as the initial cost and space requirements price a lot of people out of the market. So it wouldn't really be financially feasible to make such a game right now.

Arrun Dihsar

Quote from: Naira on August 30, 2017, 05:41:50 PM

However, I understand why they chose not to do this. The way Bridge Crew is set up, it confines you to a chair/station thus making it compatible with both the oculus rift and the vibe (I can't remember if there are any plans to release it on Playstation VR), but if they wanted to allow you to actually walk around it would only be accessible to us vibe owners and right now we make up a smaller portion of the VR community as the initial cost and space requirements price a lot of people out of the market. So it wouldn't really be financially feasible to make such a game right now.

Bridge Crew is on the PSVR (that's how I play it), though I only play with the controller (surprised it works).

As for moving around, there are mechanics that have been showcased for using a Move cursor to indicate a space you want to move to and then teleporting you over there. Or, akin to the early console games, they could just phase you in different chairs; like you do in Bridge Crew if you're playing with AI crew and need to take their station. :D

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.