Author Topic: S1- M6 - Under a Killing Holodeck  (Read 14617 times)

Offline Fala Awen

• Condemner of Food, Things, and Supplies
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Think they'll have THAT on the tour?
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Three year award Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S1- M6 - Under a Killing Holodeck
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2017, 05:40:06 pm »
[Holodeck 1, Victorian London, Dorchester House, Green Drawing Room]

Just before she was out of earshot, Caelene heard Ardyn calling to her. She turned around and walked back over to where the holographic raptor and Flight Control officer were standing, arriving just as Will did. Caelene frowned as she watched the little velociraptor's image flicker. She glanced over at Will and lifted an eyebrow.

Will saw Steve flicker and immediately crouched down to get a closer look at the holo-pet. "That is all kinds of not right" he said.  As he visually examined the raptor. "It seems whatever affected the Holodeck as affected Steve's holoprogram." He stood back up and felt along a nearby wall until he heard a familiar click of a wall panel. Swinging it open he saw the Holodeck Access panel. "What'd ya make of it?" He asked as he looked at the lines of commands that scrolled by, normal for a holoprogram of this scale and detail.

Taking a deep breath, Caelene pulled her skirt up slightly so she could kneel down more comfortably. The isolinear chips and rods were alternating between blinking and having a steady light, and she watched the command line information as it scrolled past.

Her eyes narrowed and she frowned before looking back at Ardyn and Will, "Most of it looks fine, but there are some code fragments that shouldn't be there - or at least it doesn't seem like they should be. If I had to guess, I'd say that when Steve came into the holodeck, some kind of interference occurred and his program was intermixed randomly with this one."

"It's causing some glitches in his program as well as this one. Considering what we're experiencing, my theory is that there was a big enough surge that the issues went into the basic holodeck controls, which is why we can't shut the holodeck down, why the safety protocols are off, and why we can't call up the arch. It must also be affecting communications, hence why we can't raise anyone from the ship," Caelene continued.

This was not good. Normally she could just clear the memory and run some proper diagnostics, but she didn't have her toolkit with her. She wouldn't be able to analyze the circuitry to ensure it was alright before she started modifying things... "Without being able to properly check the system, I hesitate to manually change things. The program should end when it reaches its natural conclusion when we solve the murder...or, if someone on the outside realizes what's happened, they would likely run diagnostics and potentially be able to fix it. I think our best bet is to solve this mystery while hoping that someone on the outside might be able to solve it first."

She wasn't sure exactly how badly James was hurt, but presumably the sooner they could get him to sickbay, the better. Caelene glanced over at Will, "Do you have any other suggestions? Or perhaps an idea on how we could get a message to someone on the ship?"

OFF: Tag Ardy/Will, others

Species: Bajoran- Click on ID for bio
USS Shran Commanding Officer, Academy Operations Instructor

We go from zero to Velociraptor very quickly...

Offline T'Ra Jones

• Deceased/Retired
  • Honoured Member
  • Airlocking Dylan.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 11:58:19 am »
[Holodeck]

"OK, I will start there.  I am guessing the it was one of the wait staff.  First let's see if any of them are missing" he said.

He turned to the wait staff.  "Everyone please line up against the wall" he said.  While he waited he watched them file together.

While he was waiting for the staff to line up EQ had a thought.  He tapped his combadge.  =/\= EQ to anyone aboard the Sharn.  Please reply=/\= he said.

Ich lache, weil es ein Loch in mir gibt.
-Evan Buehler

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2017, 07:25:05 pm »
[Time Ship]

"Funny you should ask" Ferguson replied.  He immediately held his hands up.  "I'm kidding" he apologized.

"You probably already know that some diseases can be cured by simply running people back threw a transporter.  They simply return the person to the previous state in which they were healthy" he explained.

"We would do something quite similar.   But in your case, we would suggest removing your katra.  And then replacing it after the procedure" he added.

"We can do it here on my ship.  And I can have one of our Vulcan crew members work with you regarding your katra.  She would help you replace your katra" Ferguson said.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline K-5

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Humans are funny that way, they have hard skulls.
  • Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2017, 07:08:15 pm »
[Holodeck, Green Room]

K-5 had been pondering whether the holodeck food would actually act as food and fill her mechanical stomach or pass through her like air when Dr. Drury had died and Captain had been stabbed. Through all the commotion she'd had to do a hard system reboot- the ship's systems had glitched somehow and affected her. The next time she was able to use her systems properly, some of the Shran crew had left to speak with the wait staff, and the staff present at the time of the murder and assault were lined against the wall.

K-5's systems shuddered a few times as she walked, and system diagnoses or short reboots did nothing to help.

OOC- tag all.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2017, 08:46:39 pm »
[Time Ship]

Kirok's left eye brow arch up.  It was a unique solution.  But one that might work.

"I assume the you have tested the effectiveness of this treatment.  Very well.  Let's me your ship mate" he said.

Offline Fala Awen

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Three year award Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2017, 10:02:04 pm »

Leaving Will to work on the communications angle, Caelene headed down the hallway to investigate further. She wanted to make sure that the holodeck program at least seemed stable enough for them to finish rather than try to take some kind of drastic measures to get out. Of course she wasn't sure what exactly they could do if finishing the program wasn't an option...probably being able to communicate with those outside the holodeck would be their best option if that was the case, but that would take time.

Seeing a flickering light coming from a room at the end of the hallway, Caelene slowed her pace to approach more cautiously. Someone was inside it seemed. Quietly the Trill moved forward and peered into the room.

By the light of the flickering lantern, Caelene could make out a desk, some tables, some shelves, a chair, medical equipment, and what looked like an operating table. Apparently in addition to his regular office, Doctor Drury had had a medical facility in his home as well. It seemed a little odd to her that he would have this much equipment here, but perhaps that was normal for the time period. She couldn't be sure.

Caelene saw a man kneeling next to the desk, but his back was to her. "Hello?" At her greeting, she saw him stiffen in surprise.

Turning slowly, a voice replied, "Miss Tam? It's just Doctor Adams (NPC)...I was going to look for some additional medical supplies to help your friend James." A drawer quickly shut and he stood slowly.

"Did you find any?" Caelene asked. Somehow she doubted that the relevant medical supplies would have been in a desk drawer, which made her suspicious as to what exactly William was up to. She moved forward slowly, towards the desk.

He looked at her carefully, searching her expression before answering, "It's just over here, on this shelf," he explained, moving over and pulling down a liquid of some sort and some bandages.

"Good, maybe that will help." Caelene continued watching him closely as she moved  towards the desk. Perhaps it was just her imagination, but she thought she noticed William tense slightly. "Were you going to take them back to the drawing room then?"

"Yes, yes, of course. I'll do that right now. If I may, miss, you probably don't want to touch anything in here. Some of it can be quite dangerous," William answered, offering a reassuring smile.

Caelene nodded, "I'll be right behind you." She watched as he turned and left, then knelt down next to the drawer he'd been looking at. It was locked, but she carefully pulled a bobby pin loose and started picking the lock. Lock picking wasn't exactly an Engineering talent, but Milara had had to do so from time to time... It took her a few minutes, but eventually she go the drawer open.

Inside were several journals, stacked neatly on top of each other. Caelene picked up the first one and began flipping through it. The contents described, in vivid detail, what seemed to be experimental brain surgeries. Much of it was words, but hand drawn illustrations also accompanied part of the text...as well as patient information and, in many cases, a notation about how long after the surgery the patient died.

No wonder he had his own facilities at home; he was experimenting on people. Presumably Doctor Adams, as Doctor Drury's assistant, would have known about these. Could he have killed the doctor to stop him from doing more experiments? Or, on a more disturbing note, to take over the medical practice and continue with the experiments.

Caelene quickly gathered up the stack of notebooks and headed back to the drawing room. A few of her crewmates looked at her questioningly as they saw the stack of books she was carrying. The Trill caught the eyes of Oran, Ardyn, Kay, and Ser then motioned to the side - the others were busy interviewing the wait staff or working on their communications problem.

Once they were all assembled, she handed a notebook to each one. "I know it's still early to tell, but I found Doctor Adams in the medical facility here. He was initially trying to get into a drawer where these were located. It could be a coincidence, or perhaps not.... Any thoughts?"

---------------------------
[Green Drawing Room, Margaret Wright's (NPC) perspective]

Wiping away a tear that had threatened to fall down her cheek, Margaret shook her head sadly. "I don't know of anyone... His patients loved him. I even sent some of my friends to see him before and, in all but one case, they're all doing much better now. Edward spent a great deal of time with William, just as Andrew (NPC) had with him when he was an assistant. He was good to his staff..."

OFF: Tag all

Offline T'Ra Jones

• Deceased/Retired
  • Honoured Member
  • Airlocking Dylan.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 03:13:48 am »
[Green Drawing Room, Margaret Wright's (NPC) perspective]

Wiping away a tear that had threatened to fall down her cheek, Margaret shook her head sadly. "I don't know of anyone... His patients loved him. I even sent some of my friends to see him before and, in all but one case, they're all doing much better now. Edward spent a great deal of time with William, just as Andrew (NPC) had with him when he was an assistant. He was good to his staff..."

OFF: Tag all
[Green Drawing Room]

T'Ra did not doubt that the young woman believed what she said, but life was rarely so pleasant. Evan was also well liked among his patients, but he knew that things were not as black and white, even with what he called the "hypocritic oath", to do no harm. If a patient dies, he would tell her, it's the doctor's fault. But if he lives, it was the saints who saved him.

Something Miss Wright had said caught her attention, causing T'Ra to tilt her head slightly. "Can you clarify what you meant by 'in all but one case'?"

Ich lache, weil es ein Loch in mir gibt.
-Evan Buehler

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:34 pm »
[Holodeck]

As the waiters lined up, EQ tapped his com badge again.  =/\=EQ Kimball to anyone on the Shran.  Do you read me=/\= he said.

As the last waiter filed in, EQ turned to the others.  "Was this all of them?  I'm not exactly sure" he admitted.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2017, 08:29:06 pm »
[Time Ship]

"Alright.  Follow me then" Ferguson said.  He started walking.  But he was slow enough to allow Kirok to keep up with him via wheel chair.

Eventually they arrived at Sickbay.  The doors opened.  A Vulcan doctor stood before them.

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2017, 10:36:01 pm »
[Access Panel - Drawing Room - Holodeck]
Will rooted around inside the compartment and pulled out a mainline communications trunk. "There should be an emergency contact point right... here" he said as a port revealed itself. Moving the communications trunk to just short of the port he spoke behind him "Might want to make some room. This is either gonna call up arch communications or I'll become human jerky" he gave a laugh as he connected the trunk and felt the surge of high voltage run through his system and gave a yelp as he jumped away.

"Well, that answers that question I guess" he said, looking at his hands which were now blackened and numb "Time to play this out then"
RESERVED

Offline K-5

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2017, 02:27:42 pm »
[Holodeck -Drawing Room]

K-5 picked up a note book and hummed out musings as to what could be in them, her systems shuddering as she did so. Perhaps medical procedures or medical types of ailments? Perhaps even receipts to private appointments. But when she opened up the book and began to read, she found they were all researching experimental brain procedures. Her systems stopped momentarily, then started again.

Some were morbid and others were factual, but most seemed to be the rantings of an overly fanatical scientist who was using people, unwilling people, mind, as testing material.

The frown on her face gave away her feelings, even through her glitching systems. "I don't think that this Dr. Drury was who he said he was." At the confusion of her crew-mates, she flipped the book around and let them read a few pages. They in turn picked up their own books, eagerly dreading what was in their respective books. She stuttered again.

"Where did you find these?" K-5 turned to Caelene, a questioning look written all over her face. The sooner they got to the bottom of this, the sooner they would solve their mystery. But K-5 questioned why on earth the Captain's blood had been spilled- surely Dr. Drury hadn't wanted to use him as a test subject? Without the proper safety precautions in the holodeck working, that would have been a very bad situation. She shuddered, this time out of her own thinking and horror.

Offline Fala Awen

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2017, 08:10:37 pm »
Something Miss Wright had said caught her attention, causing T'Ra to tilt her head slightly. "Can you clarify what you meant by 'in all but one case'?"
"Where did you find these?" K-5 turned to Caelene, a questioning look written all over her face. The sooner they got to the bottom of this, the sooner they would solve their mystery. But K-5 questioned why on earth the Captain's blood had been spilled- surely Dr. Drury hadn't wanted to use him as a test subject? Without the proper safety precautions in the holodeck working, that would have been a very bad situation. She shuddered, this time out of her own thinking and horror.

"I found them in what appears to have been Doctor Drury's medical laboratory. It's just down the hall - I found Doctor Adams (NPC) in there, rather interested in a desk although he claimed to be looking for medical supplies for James. Once he left, I checked one of the drawers and found these. I imagine they could be a motive for someone to murder Doctor Drury....especially if he performed some of these procedures on a friend or family member of someone here. Or perhaps it's nothing," Caelene answered, frowning.

Milara was more of a detective than she was, but that was really with archaeological type information, not a murder. Still, Caelene felt her observations were likely correct, at least from a logical point of view. Interrogations and solving crime weren't her particular forte though.

"Regardless, Will and I haven't had much luck with the holodeck issues. Our best bet is to try to solve this murder so the program will end and we should be able to get out," the Trill explained. She wasn't entirely sure what she could do to help, but either one of the others would suggest something or she would follow her instincts. Either way, they needed to hurry so they could get James proper medical care.

OFF Tag any

Offline Ardyn Jaeger

• Approved Applicants
  • Live fast, die young.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2017, 11:01:52 pm »

Click the badge to read my bio

If history repeats itself, I am SO getting myself a dinosaur -- Oh wait, I did.
Alt of Kinley Garrison

Offline K-5

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2017, 02:15:48 am »

The sound of Kay's voice brought Caelene out of her musings.

"I found them in what appears to have been Doctor Drury's medical laboratory. It's just down the hall - I found Doctor Adams (NPC) in there, rather interested in a desk although he claimed to be looking for medical supplies for James. Once he left, I checked one of the drawers and found these. I imagine they could be a motive for someone to murder Doctor Drury....especially if he performed some of these procedures on a friend or family member of someone here. Or perhaps it's nothing," Caelene answered, frowning.

Milara was more of a detective than she was, but that was really with archaeological type information, not a murder. Still, Caelene felt her observations were likely correct, at least from a logical point of view. Interrogations and solving crime weren't her particular forte though.

"Regardless, Will and I haven't had much luck with the holodeck issues. Our best bet is to try to solve this murder so the program will end and we should be able to get out," the Trill explained. She wasn't entirely sure what she could do to help, but either one of the others would suggest something or she would follow her instincts. Either way, they needed to hurry so they could get James proper medical care.

K-5 nodded and thought for a moment, trying but not succeeding to stifle a system shudder. Perhaps a search of the rest of the room would produce more clues as to whom might be a suspect? Or perhaps a thorough comb of the house could bear more information? Either way, there must be answers written in these books or in the house.

Then a thought struck her. Perhaps their perpetrator wasn't someone who lived or worked in this house, but someone who both knew someone operated on by Dr. Drury in his experimental appointments and also knew a house worker who could deposit arsenic in the good Doctor's drink.

"Perhaps a team could be sent to search the room where you found these. The rest could finish searching the books and looking for any substantial procedure that could link back to this household and any who live inside it." K-5 suggested, shuddering once again. What was this one? Annoyance? This one she was getting familiar with now because of her faulty systems.

The faster we can end the program, the faster I can repair my systems and return to perfect condition...

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2017, 08:01:41 am »
[Time Ship]

Kirok rolled his chair up to the Vulcan doctor.  "Do you have any questions, Admiral?" he asked.  "Just one.  How is it that you have my bio signature on file in your transporter?" he asked.

"Funny you should ask.  But the simple explanation is that this was once Justin Conwell's ship.  You were transported to it shortly before the time anomaly" Ferguson replied.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles