Athena Mission 2.5: Endless Nights

Started by Constance Lafayette, June 30, 2017, 05:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catrin Maddux

Quote from: Leonard T. Scott on July 02, 2017, 02:40:15 PM

{Bridge}

"Hey, babes," Leo replied. "It's good to be back. I've missed everyone, namely you."

He smiled. It was nice hearing her voice again. He turned his head around to look at her.

She looked more stunning than ever. While he was away, he found his great-grandmother's wedding ring. It was a simple band with a few small diamonds. He figured she'd be asking him sooner or later when he was going to propose. He wanted to be prepared.

He also picked up an ornate little necklace. The jewel looked like a galaxy. He thought it was perfect the moment he saw it. He reached into his pocket and pulled it out.

"By the way, I picked you up a little something," he said as he presented it to her.

[Bridge]

Cat gave a quiet little gasp as he handed her the necklace. She held it up in the light to better see the glints and sparkles.
"Oh, Leo. It's lovely! You know a lot of men will promise the world, but here you go and bring me a whole galaxy."

She leaned in so he could fasten the chain around her neck, and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. A more fitting show of appreciation would have to wait until later. The captain required a certain amount of decorum on the bridge, after all.

"Thank you, sweetness. It really is a perfect gift. Did I ever tell you, my middle name means 'star'?" As she tucked a long strand of her ginger hair behind her ear, she grinned at him, bright eyes sparkled as bright as the jewel he had given her.

Tell me your troubles and doubts. Giving me everything inside and out...

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: Catrin Maddux on July 02, 2017, 07:23:46 PM

[Bridge]

Cat gave a quiet little gasp as he handed her the necklace. She held it up in the light to better see the glints and sparkles.
"Oh, Leo. It's lovely! You know a lot of men will promise the world, but here you go and bring me a whole galaxy."

She leaned in so he could fasten the chain around her neck, and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. A more fitting show of appreciation would have to wait until later. The captain required a certain amount of decorum on the bridge, after all.

"Thank you, sweetness. It really is a perfect gift. Did I ever tell you, my middle name means 'star'?" As she tucked a long strand of her ginger hair behind her ear, she grinned at him, bright eyes sparkled as bright as the jewel he had given her.

[Bridge]

"I think you had said something about that," Leo stammered a bit, "and besides, it's what I'm supposed to do, right?"

He smiled. He really was glad to be back. He was ready for the next adventure.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Constance Lafayette

[Athena- Bridge]

Constance nodded to Leo as the ship dropped out of warp at the edge of the system.

"Acceptable Mr. Carter." Was her flat, but not unkind, reply as the XO arrived on the bridge, "We're on schedule. We need to get our new sensor package calibrated but, after that this is mostly an observational mission. Shouldn't take more than 36 hours and then we can discuss the situation on Beta Eridani in sector 4." She said boredly. The situation was minor trade dispute that the Athena had been asked to look into between some non-Dominion Gamma quadrant races. Both wanted entrance to the Federation, at least that was what they said, but neither looked like a good candidate if she was being honest with herself.

"Fantastic Ms. Tavana. Make sure we have a good baseline for when it starts." She instructed. Those sensors were really a beast. 16 percent before they even jumped out of warp? These sensors were going to revolutionize the way the Federation explored space.

"Ms. Carter. I am not expecting trouble on this observation mission but... you know our luck. Tavana should have advanced warning of anything shy of a Romulan Warbird." She noted to the security officer.

"Can you handle the calibration tests James? I need to get my prosthetics checks out in medical. My hand has been acting up a bit." She said as professionally as she could. She wasn't comfortable with her disability yet and had, emotionally, basically just ignored them.

"...and I haven't forgot our scheduled discussion on the topic Ms. Maddux. Unfortunately matters more pressing just keep coming up." She said, a little sheepishly- though still with her normal air of detachment.

Outside, the omens of the impending supernova began to crop up. It's start happening sometime in the next 10 min or so.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on July 03, 2017, 03:49:03 PM

[Athena- Bridge]

"Ms. Carter. I am not expecting trouble on this observation mission but... you know our luck. Tavana should have advanced warning of anything shy of a Romulan Warbird." She noted to the security officer.

"Can you handle the calibration tests James? I need to get my prosthetics checks out in medical. My hand has been acting up a bit." She said as professionally as she could. She wasn't comfortable with her disability yet and had, emotionally, basically just ignored them.

"...and I haven't forgot our scheduled discussion on the topic Ms. Maddux. Unfortunately matters more pressing just keep coming up." She said, a little sheepishly- though still with her normal air of detachment.

Outside, the omens of the impending supernova began to crop up. It's start happening sometime in the next 10 min or so.

[Bridge]

Katheryn looked up from the readouts when the Captain spoke up and she was right their luck had certainly been tested lately with the various missions they had completed and couldn't help but hope that this one would be smoother with a lot less drama. " Agreed Captain, I have my teams monitoring and standing by just in case and understood " she replied glad that the new sensors were working so efficiently for the ship and knew how useful they would be in an emergency or battle situation.

Academy Commandant

Caleb Brighton

[ Medical Bay ]

Caleb smiled as he looked down at his hand. The black tungsten ring on his left hand. It was the first of many gifts his lovely financé Katheryn had given him. The inlay of the band was silver and speckled with his favorite shade of blue. It was an almost match to the ring he had given to her when he proposed. Though for any major surgeries, he knew he had to take it off, but he would be damned if otherwise he didn't have it on. As he was getting ready for his normal morning briefing with his staff, Wendy approached him with a devious smile.

" Hey there Doctor J ," Wendy began. "Looks like you have a special delivery!" As she said this, she handed Caleb a small box. He thanked her and though he wanted to wait to open it, he decided he could be quick about it. Wendy was pretending not to be curious, but was not hiding it well. He carefully opened the small box and a look of awe was on his face.

In the box was a small  dual picture frame. On one side was a photo of the night Katheryn and Caleb had met. On the other was their night in Risa when he proposed to her. Engraved on the edges of the frame were Caleb and Katheryn's favorite song lyrics. He began to choke up a bit as he loved this, but chuckled when he saw the other box inside. In a nice case were a set of engraved pens and pencils. "No doubt for my notebook,"He thought as he looked. He showed Wendy the gift and she widely smiled. "Great! Place it in our community photo area for now...Until you get your own office that is,"Wendy said with a smile.  He smiled agreeing with her and placed the photo in their community area. He then put the new case pf pens and pencils in his pocket and then got prepared for the morning huddle up.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

James Carter

[Athena- Bridge]

Constance nodded to Leo as the ship dropped out of warp at the edge of the system.

"Acceptable Mr. Carter." Was her flat, but not unkind, reply as the XO arrived on the bridge, "We're on schedule. We need to get our new sensor package calibrated but, after that this is mostly an observational mission. Shouldn't take more than 36 hours and then we can discuss the situation on Beta Eridani in sector 4." She said boredly. The situation was minor trade dispute that the Athena had been asked to look into between some non-Dominion Gamma quadrant races. Both wanted entrance to the Federation, at least that was what they said, but neither looked like a good candidate if she was being honest with herself.

"Fantastic Ms. Tavana. Make sure we have a good baseline for when it starts." She instructed. Those sensors were really a beast. 16 percent before they even jumped out of warp? These sensors were going to revolutionize the way the Federation explored space.

[Bridge]

Carter nodded along as he listened to the Captain speak to everyone on the bridge. "I'll take care of it. Should be fairly routine. Then again, our routine usually involves things going horribly sideways. So with any luck it will just go to plan instead." James was mostly joking of course, but things never really went 'right' on the Athena and that was an undeniable fact.

D'Vid

[Engineering]

D'Vid could not help laugh at the funny jokes that Engineering was tossing about. He spun around to the Main Computer Board facing the Warp Drive and he started to run a systmatics to see there was anything needed to be tweaked. This service run in the new sensors can be a boring trip, but on the other hand things can take a huge left u-turn into a adventure.

However, D'Vid had liked this ship and crew. He was doing his best to help the new people who came to the ship. He was trying to help those who new. He remembered being new and it was always hard to fit in. Especially when your new off from Starfleet.

The other thought he had was wanting to go for a commissioned road here in Starfleet. He had many years ahead. It would be neat to stick with Starfleet to the future where his relative met. Rather he was a member of the Future fleet, he could work his way in. Or the Temporal Agency will scoop him up for whatever their needs. Who knows? All he knew was he had cheated death and time at the same time by a relative. Not a bad way. He had not regretted it either.

The only thing he had regretted was he stuck with the OLD Tradition of El-Aurian and not want nothing with the NEW PRIME El-Auria or his own kind. That generation seemed to forget the tradition. He knew they were doomed too as he was told by the future. It was best to avoid and lose a second home and lose his heart to his own kind. Once way enough. He would be glad to make his heart cold to protect himself.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Constance Lafayette

[Athena- Bridge]
Constance nodded and left the bridge, taking the turbolift down to the level of sickbay. She emerged and headed down the hallways until she reached the double doors. She... didn't like sickbay. She had started in sickbay but ever since the surgeries... the one at the hands of the Borg and the ones to repair them by the Federation. She wasn't quite as fond of the idea of getting them... tampered with or even going under the knife ever again for that matter. It bothered her a bit that it bothered her that it bothered her. Her father was a surgeon... dinner conversations would be even more strained than they were before.

[Athena- Sickbay]
"Dr. Brighton." She announced as she entered, "My prosthetic hand has been giving me a slight pain. The place of conjoinment is itching, which doesn't make sense. The nerves are hooked up to the synthetic ones in my prosthetic." She explained in an academic, detached, fashion.
[Space]
The supernova began to erupt, a steady stream of star-stuff spewing in all directions. To the naked eye it simply looked in an ever-expanding point of light. However to the infinite eye of the sensors it was one of the most beautiful things in the universe. Data enough for a hundred ships to analyze but the Athena was the only one lucky enough to get to witness it. Here they were- one of only a few Federation ships allowed to explore the Gamma Quadrant, one of the only ships to observe such a fantastically timed event, with the best sensor package ever devised and they were getting to look at it. It was like looking into God's own eye and seeing him blink.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Tavana

[Athena- Bridge]

"Aye aye Admiral." Tavana responded as she reluctantly turned back into the data.  She turned back a little when she heard Constance talking about her prosthetics.  Curiosity almost had her ask the what the problem was, but Tavana's professional nature stopped her just in time.  And with a quite growl, she turned back to her console.
Quote from: Constance Lafayette on July 05, 2017, 12:28:11 AM

[Athena- Bridge]

[Space]
The supernova began to erupt, a steady stream of star-stuff spewing in all directions. To the naked eye it simply looked in an ever-expanding point of light. However to the infinite eye of the sensors it was one of the most beautiful things in the universe. Data enough for a hundred ships to analyze but the Athena was the only one lucky enough to get to witness it. Here they were- one of only a few Federation ships allowed to explore the Gamma Quadrant, one of the only ships to observe such a fantastically timed event, with the best sensor package ever devised and they were getting to look at it. It was like looking into God's own eye and seeing him blink.

As the Supernova erupted Tavana stifled a yawn.  This was definitely wasted on her.  She just could not get worked up about a continually exploding ball of gas.  Not to say the work was challenging.  She took in the data, filing out the base line Constance ask for.  But with so much data coming in all at once.  It felt like trying to tie both of your shoe at the same time.

"Twenty seven percent of the supernova scanned and catalogued, Commander.  And I already have a rough base line to work with." She said.

"Yes I'm a doctor."

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on July 05, 2017, 12:28:11 AM

[Athena- Sickbay]
"Dr. Brighton." She announced as she entered, "My prosthetic hand has been giving me a slight pain. The place of conjoinment is itching, which doesn't make sense. The nerves are hooked up to the synthetic ones in my prosthetic." She explained in an academic, detached, fashion.

[ Medical Bay ]

"Well Captain I can take a look. We can talk in a private exam room or we can take a look over at one of the stations. Your choice," Caleb said in a warm, friendly tone. Generally he was in a good mood, but he seemed to be in really good spirits when the Captain came to the Medical Bay.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

D'Vid

[engineering]

The crew in the rear of the ship all had a view screen to see the explosion of the end, but D'vid was thinking it was a beginning. The end was always a beginning and the beginning was the end. It a routine in all life. One can say it repeats itself but in a different story.

D'Vid had watched it himself for the view. It awesome and sad in both ways. He had wondered what disturbance this could happen to the universe around it. There was always a ripple effect which could make trouble.

Thinking on that. He went back to scanning for anything in the system to be ready for a mishap or a burp in the systems. Especially the Warp drive themselves.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

James Carter

Quote from: Tavana on July 05, 2017, 06:30:41 AM

"Aye aye Admiral." Tavana responded as she reluctantly turned back into the data.  She turned back a little when she heard Constance talking about her prosthetics.  Curiosity almost had her ask the what the problem was, but Tavana's professional nature stopped her just in time.  And with a quite growl, she turned back to her console.

As the Supernova erupted Tavana stifled a yawn.  This was definitely wasted on her.  She just could not get worked up about a continually exploding ball of gas.  Not to say the work was challenging.  She took in the data, filing out the base line Constance ask for.  But with so much data coming in all at once.  It felt like trying to tie both of your shoe at the same time.

"Twenty seven percent of the supernova scanned and catalogued, Commander.  And I already have a rough base line to work with." She said.

[Bridge]

James nodded as the captain left the bridge. Taking control of the ship was a remarkably normal thing for him at this point. When he took the first officer job, he knew that occasionally he would have to take command, but he didn't realize it would be as frequently as it was. Now it felt routine to be in command of a ship. "Thank you Ensign. Do you have an estimation of how long until we've finished?" Carter asked in a flat, bored tone. As long as everything had gone according to plan, this WOULD be an incredibly dull mission.

Katheryn Brighton

[Bridge]

With everything seemingly running smoothly with her team, their orders and the scans they had been running, Katheryn paused for a moment to observe the supernova and it was the first time she had ever seen one so wanted to make the most of the opportunity. To her it reminded her of new beginnings and transitions and pretty much summed up how she felt at that moment. From finally being truly happy, Caleb, her new role as Security Chief and wouldn't change a single thing.

It had been one hell of a journey so far and she looked forward to it continuing and yes part of her wished that Cal could of seen this but would tell him all about it later.

Academy Commandant

Ethan Hadden

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on July 02, 2017, 04:55:17 PM

[Mess Hall]

Ash jokingly grimaced as Ethan recounted his start to the last mission. "Sounds like you had as good a time as I did in that crowd," she smirked, unconsciously bringing up a hand to rub her ribs. They had bruised up something awful after getting trampled in the stampede (something probably got fractured if she was being honest), but she hadn't bothered going to sickbay. It wasn't terrible, so she had just been taking things easy in the meantime as she finished healing up.

"But the pleasure is all mine, Ethan." She grinned and gestured towards the kitchen before continuing. "And today is nothing special: shepherd's pie and corn. Easy comfort foods for a relaxed day. Speaking of, that should be ready just about now. Wanna give me a hand?" Ash didn't wait around for his answer as she started towards the kitchen. Whether he helped or not, she could handle it, but it needed to come out now before it burned.

[Mess Hall]
"Mmm. Sure thing, Ash." He said as he followed her to the kitchen . Grabbing  a couple potholders, he moved the pot of corn off the stove. "So, apparently the science folks are up in a buzz today . Something about some supernova . I was going to see if they needed anything , but not many of them really needed a security guy right now , you know? I'd get in the way."

Tavana

Quote from: James Carter on July 06, 2017, 09:02:38 AM

[Bridge]

James nodded as the captain left the bridge. Taking control of the ship was a remarkably normal thing for him at this point. When he took the first officer job, he knew that occasionally he would have to take command, but he didn't realize it would be as frequently as it was. Now it felt routine to be in command of a ship. "Thank you Ensign. Do you have an estimation of how long until we've finished?" Carter asked in a flat, bored tone. As long as everything had gone according to plan, this WOULD be an incredibly dull mission.

One of the things Tavana noticed was that.  The command staff seem as interested as she was in this mission.  The Commander in particular seem to only have a passing interest.

"The computer estimates twenty three minutes for a complete scan and working baseline.  But it will take a full six hours to analyze the data we received." Tavana said, her monotone rivaled the ship's computer in that moment. 

"Yes I'm a doctor."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.