Mind over Matter, Matter over Mind [Kinley]

Started by Jettis Jyur, December 13, 2016, 04:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jettis Jyur

[Holodeck]

Jettis stood in the middle of the program he had created, looking it up and down with a critical eye. It was simple enough. Similar to an old dance studio of his, barren save for a few mats on the floors and decorations along the walls. It was fairly specific to this occasion, so he saw no reason to dress it up.
The occasion being that he had been talking to Kinley, and somehow they had gotten onto the subject of his travels. Kinley had seemed interested in learning something he'd picked up, so he offered to teach her Mok'bara. Something he held dear to him, admittedly.

Although Kinley had not arrived yet, Jettis saw no reason not to begin for himself. Taking a few deep breaths, he slowly began to move, as if it came without a thought. As natural to him as any Klingon who was raised in the practice. If not moreso. When he had first learned it, he felt as if he had gained a friend. Something to calm his incessantly busy mind. Keep his shaky hands occupied somehow.

After a few moments of the utter silence, his eyes flickered up toward the ceiling in exasperation. "Computer, dim the lights by fifteen percent." He commanded. There was a short chirrup, and his order was followed; the lights dimmed slightly, making their glare more bearable. Once again, he relaxed, and slipped into the motions, muscles moving in sync as he went through a specific order of the poses, one he had hammered into his memory. Although, he could switch them up at any time, he often liked the routine. The consistent, recurring actions that would sometimes lull him into a near-drowsy state. Rather than consciously paying attention to what he was doing, which would engage his mind and instantly awaken him.

His chin tilted up slightly, and his eyes opened as he heard the signature 'whoosh' of the Holodeck being entered. "Garrison?" He asked, halting his motions. Stretching his back agilely, he turned on the spot to face her.

Kinley Garrison

[Holodeck]

"Yep. It's me. Unless there is another version of me running around out there. " She smiled at her fellow science officer. "So you said that you were going to show me something cool you learned on your travels."

We're in Starfleet here. Weird is part of the job description.

Click the badge to read my bio.

Jettis Jyur

Jettis chuckled at her, stretching his arms absently. "Hopefully not, shapeshifters are a bitch to deal with." He commented, humming in agreements.
"Mok'bara, the Klingon Martial art. Have you heard of it?" He casually initiated conversation, before retaking his stance, and motioning her to stand over with him.

Waiting for her to take a place, he moved back into his starting position. "Just follow what I do, you'll pick up quickly."

Kinley Garrison

[Holodeck]

"Yeah. I've heard some about it. Mostly from my roommate Renehan, of course. She was in a pretty big meditation phase a while ago."
Taking her place on one of the mats beside Jettis, she looked over at his movements, mimicking them to the best of her ability. The precise, flowing, movements were actually pretty relaxing, something for the past couple of weeks she hadn't had much time to do. "It's like this, right?" She asked Jettis.

Jettis Jyur

Jettis continued the easy, flowing, yet almost jagged motions, sharp yet clear like glass. Occasionally glancing over at Kinley struggling to keep up, he commended her every time she got a motion right.

Quote from: Kinley Garrison on December 18, 2016, 02:07:44 AM

"It's like this, right?" She asked Jettis.

Tilting his head, his eyebrow raised ever so slightly. "Not quite." She almost had it, just her balance was a little off. Instead of verbally correcting her, he simply repeated the motion, this time more precisely and exaggerated, so she could see every small nuance that came together to complete the move. Using clawed hands instead of relaxed ones. Moving hunched rather than with his back straight, like most would be inclined to do. Straightening once he had completed the motion, he looked back down at her. "But you're doing really well for your first time trying it." He moved back into the same fluid, connecting motions.
"What kind of planets have you been to, anyway? Any other than where you were born?" He questioned, stretching his arms out wide before pulling them in, dropping his shoulders.

Kinley Garrison

Quote from: Jettis Jyur on December 18, 2016, 02:46:05 AM

"What kind of planets have you been to, anyway? Any other than where you were born?"

"I haven't been to many other planets besides Earth.  Heck, I've hardly been out of country, much less out of planet." She remarked, moving her arms in time to Jettis's. "My family is sort of on the lower end of the financial spectrum, even for Federation standards. So vacations to other planets was sort of a luxury. It actually came as a little bit of a surprise to some of my family when my brothers and I signed up for Starfleet. She paused a moment to shift her balance. "So what about you, Jett? I know you've been around the galaxy a time or two.  What's your story?

Jettis Jyur

Jettis looked mildly surprised as Kinley admitted she had barely traveled at all. She had struck him as the type of person who would like to travel, and bring home souveniers. "If you ever get the chance, Betazed is an amazing place to visit." He recommended, tilting his head and giving a small smile. "It's absolutely stunning there, you'd just want to walk around all day." He hummed, momentarily focusing back on the Mok'bara.
Looking over at Garrison with an odd look as she asked about him, he slowed his movements. "What's my story?" Did he even know the answer to that? His story was others' stories. His story was assimilating himself into their culture for as long as he felt fit, and then up and leaving for the next planet.
"I'm a traveler." He finally admitted, since that was the closest thing to truth. "I've been everywhere you could think of. Been to every planet that was willing to let me visit. I know more about the Delta Quadrant than the Federation does." and I'm still exploring. He didn't voice that last thought though.
He smiled, a soft, humourless smile. "I like stories, so I go out and look for them. Or, I write them myself."

Kinley Garrison

Kinley nodded at Jettis. She understood the need to find stories, and write them. Heck, if she never had the desire to explore, she probably would still be on Earth, probably writing.
" I totally feel you. I love finding out people's stories. It just took me to realize that in order to find other people's stories, I had to change the direction of my own." Focusing back on her movements, she breathed in deeply, balancing herself on one leg. "You know, this is really relaxing."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.