S2 M1"Macrocosm"

Started by Julia Rellek, June 28, 2017, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Galloway

[Bridge]

Ian had finally had his fill of the boredom and turned to face the Captain with what he hoped was a means to escape the tedium of the bridge for a couple hours.

"Ma'am, as things are pretendin' ta be stable fer the moment. Permission ta make my monthly checks on the embarked craft. Not the most interestin' task ever, but regulations require it gets done by the flight control division chief."

Julia Rellek

Quote from: Klizh on July 07, 2017, 12:16:33 AM

That was the problem with human engineering sensibilities, in K'lizh's personal opinion. They had a tendency to push the boundaries, but occasionally the boundaries pushed back. Rushing experimental technology out into the field had often led to unnecessary accidents. How many times had a transporter split a being into two, or merged two beings into one, or sent someone into a whole different reality? Their technology was remarkably easy to fix or to modify, but it also broke down just as often. It wasn't how Caitians would have done things. Yet somehow humans were one of the most influential species in the quadrant, and K'lizh suspected that was only partially due to their comparatively-remarkable breeding rates.

=/\=K'lizh to Mister Masters. Our replicators are malfunctioning again. Get with engineering and see what you can do to have them functioning again, please. The Captain's caffienation levels depend on it.=/\=

K'lizh twisted around in his chair. "If you're interested, Captain, I have a selection of teas from my homeworld back in my quarters that I could brew for you. Ferasan tea has an even greater kick to it than a raktajino."

[Bridge]

Julia shot a glare to the gentlemen at the front of the bridge. She wasn't sure what their obsession was with these teas but she would take no part in it. "I think I'll stick to my coffee. It's always been there for me when i needed it. I've taken on challenge after challenge with coffee by my side." She smirked at the personification of her favorite beverage.

Quote from: Ian Galloway

[Bridge]

Ian had finally had his fill of the boredom and turned to face the Captain with what he hoped was a means to escape the tedium of the bridge for a couple hours.

"Ma'am, as things are pretendin' ta be stable fer the moment. Permission ta make my monthly checks on the embarked craft. Not the most interestin' task ever, but regulations require it gets done by the flight control division chief."

"Sure thing Lieutensnt. I think now is as good of a time as any. Send my regards to crewman Solluk." Julia said.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Julia Rellek on July 08, 2017, 02:04:41 AM

[Bridge]

Julia shot a glare to the gentlemen at the front of the bridge. She wasn't sure what their obsession was with these teas but she would take no part in it. "I think I'll stick to my coffee. It's always been there for me when i needed it. I've taken on challenge after challenge with coffee by my side." She smirked at the personification of her favorite beverage.

"Sure thing Lieutensnt. I think now is as good of a time as any. Send my regards to crewman Solluk." Julia said.

[Bridge]

As Ian stood, he offered a silent thanks to whatever deity that watched over bored pilots.

"Aye Ma'am, I will do just that when I talk ta Mister Solluk. Bloody fool that he is, if'n he wanted ta try skiin' fer the first time, he should have done so on the holodeck where the safeties would have kept him from gettin' hurt.

"As fer the coffee versus tea debate, that one has been ragin' fer just under a thousand years and if'n all the hundred pound heads across that time and species haven't solved that particular conundrum, I doubt any set of Starfleet officers, no matter how gifted, will do so either."

He laughed as he entered the turbolift and announced.

"Shuttlebay One."

[Shuttlebay One]

Ian entered and eyed the small craft parked orderly around the large space. He spotted the Tigris and headed for the runabout, noting the Orion motif decal on the side and rolled his eyes. At that moment, he got a flash of insight so pure, it could only be called what it was, an epiphany.

"Oh bloody hell. That would explain so much."

Boarding the Tigris, he found Solluk tinkering away with the ship's systems and thought.

"Assignin' him here was probably the best decision I ever made as flight chief. This lad keeps his boat running 12% more efficient than any other embarked craft on the Tempest."

Ian opened hs PADD to the proper page for his inspection and called out to the Vulcan under the console.

"Mister Solluk. The Captain sends her regards and it is time fer yer monthly inspection. However, before we get started on official business. I do need ta talk ta you aboot a personal matter of some delicacy that I believe may be impactin' yer performance lately."

As Solluk crawled out from under the console, Ian took a deep breath and braced for what was going to be an awkward conversation.

Kintiss

Quote from: Jada on July 06, 2017, 10:36:11 PM

As Kintiss brought up the estrus, Jada muttered a dark curse. She couldn't expect the doctor not to detect it with his tricorder, but it was a thing to discuss with other Orion women. Who were in preciously short supply here in the Gamma Quadrant. 'I don't let it interfere with my duties.' she declared defensively, 'It can be useful, even.' She glanced warily to the blue pills. She remembered that Naira on Risa had offered something similar, some kind of suppressants, but Jada had reasons for not wanting to suppress or eliminate the cycle and the effects it had on her. 'This won't stop or suppress the cycle, will it?' she asked, hoping it wouldn't.

"Not completely," Kintiss replied "and it issss your choice on whether you take them or not, but I'd sssuggessst carrying them with you anyway, jussst in cassse." It may be useful for her now, but what about when it wasn't? He was only looking out for her well-being. Still, he couldn't make any crewman undergo a medical procedure unless it was life-threatening to either them or the rest of the crew. This was anything but, so the decision was hers to make.

Solluk

[Shuttlebay One]

Solluk very nearly bumped his head as he hurried out from under a console, standing at full attention.  His visitor was Lieutenant Galloway, the department head.

Getting a visit from the Lieutenant was not exactly uncommon.  The man was diligent in his oversight of the flight crews, coming down on a regular schedule to keep up on paperwork and routine inspections.  It was Galloway that had given Solluk the Tigris as his primary assignment, and consequently given him a sense of specific purpose within the department.

Still, there was always a certain amount of anxiety in getting a visit from one's superiors.  Particularly when it was not on the schedule.

""Mister Solluk. The Captain sends her regards and it is time fer yer monthly inspection," the Lieutenant began.

Solluk's eyebrow arched slightly.  He had trouble determining what was true and what was a pleasantry when it came to social graces.  Did the Captain give thought to specific low-ranking crew members working aboard?  With over a thousand souls to command, it seemed like a lot to fit into one's mind.  The idea that she might actually send her regards to him, specifically, was somewhat heartwarming.  It instilled in him a touch of pride.

"However, before we get started on official business. I do need ta talk ta you aboot a personal matter of some delicacy that I believe may be impactin' yer performance lately."

Pride became concern in the space of a single phrase.  His performance?  Had it been sub-par?  Had the Captain noticed?  Was that why the Lieutenant had come unannounced? And mentioned the Captain?  Was he about to receive a dressing-down straight from the top?

Steeling himself for that possibility, he forced a non-panicked demeanor onto his features.  "I will work hard to address any shortcomings with my performance, Sir."

(tag)

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Solluk on July 08, 2017, 11:37:14 AM

[Shuttlebay One]

Solluk very nearly bumped his head as he hurried out from under a console, standing at full attention.  His visitor was Lieutenant Galloway, the department head.

Getting a visit from the Lieutenant was not exactly uncommon.  The man was diligent in his oversight of the flight crews, coming down on a regular schedule to keep up on paperwork and routine inspections.  It was Galloway that had given Solluk the Tigris as his primary assignment, and consequently given him a sense of specific purpose within the department.

Still, there was always a certain amount of anxiety in getting a visit from one's superiors.  Particularly when it was not on the schedule.

""Mister Solluk. The Captain sends her regards and it is time fer yer monthly inspection," the Lieutenant began.

Solluk's eyebrow arched slightly.  He had trouble determining what was true and what was a pleasantry when it came to social graces.  Did the Captain give thought to specific low-ranking crew members working aboard?  With over a thousand souls to command, it seemed like a lot to fit into one's mind.  The idea that she might actually send her regards to him, specifically, was somewhat heartwarming.  It instilled in him a touch of pride.

"However, before we get started on official business. I do need ta talk ta you aboot a personal matter of some delicacy that I believe may be impactin' yer performance lately."

Pride became concern in the space of a single phrase.  His performance?  Had it been sub-par?  Had the Captain noticed?  Was that why the Lieutenant had come unannounced? And mentioned the Captain?  Was he about to receive a dressing-down straight from the top?

Steeling himself for that possibility, he forced a non-panicked demeanor onto his features.  "I will work hard to address any shortcomings with my performance, Sir."

(tag)

Ian gave Solluk his warmest smile as he could well imagine what was going through his mind based on what his division chief had just said.

"First off, I wanted ta commend you on the stellar job you are doin' in keepin' the Tigris at such peak efficiency. Second, both the Captain and I are very glad ta have ya back on duty. Accidents do happen, but the next time ya try a new and dangerous activity Lad, perhaps ya might want ta get the hang of it in the holodeck first. Especially if'n ya are tryin' ta impress a Lass."

Ian smiled again to reassure the deeply self-conscious Vulcan.

"As you and Jada are both enlisted and it different divisions, there are no regulations against ya explorin' what could be an rewardin' experience fer both of you. I can see where you could use a bit of her raw passion and she could use some of yer logic.

"My only bit of advice is take things slowly, I know that could be difficult as there is nothing so heady as that as the flush of love. However, given yer lack of experience with emotions, I just suggest caution.

"Now, let!s get ta this bloody inspection so I can check off the bloody box and get back ta the bridge."

Solluk

[Shuttlebay One]

Solluk began to relax as the Lieutenant began to say nice things about his performance.   Even telling him to be careful with his sports activities wasn't too bad.  Until...

"...Especially if'n ya are tryin' ta impress a Lass."

His gaze, previously straight ahead, now zagged to look at the Lieutenant before returning to its forward orientation.

Galloway proceeded to deliver romantic advice about how best to proceed in a romantic relationship with Jada.  It wasn't the very worst embarrassment of his life, but it surely ranked among the top ten.  The worst part was when the Lieutenant cautioned to 'take things slowly.'

So... the general consensus that he and Jada were more than friends had percolated throughout the entire ship, right up to the upper-echelons of the bridge.  It made the lack of such a romance all the more frustrating.

Part of this was his own fault, no doubt.  Comments like the one he'd made to the engineering crewman surely did nothing to dispel  such rumors.  He was a Sehlat hooked by his own claw.  And he'd yet to even lay a single kiss upon her soft lips...

He blinked himself out of such imaginings.  "Thank you for your... advice.  Sir.  The Chief and I are... just friends."

Feeling the need to underline that statement in some way, he added, "I am not averse to the basic concept of romance, however, so should you have any recommendations of likely partners among the crew, I would be willing to entertain a suggestion or a... sightless meal." 

Having made the deflection, he stepped out of the Lieutenant's way so that he could conduct the inspection.

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Solluk on July 08, 2017, 09:19:35 PM

[Shuttlebay One]

Solluk began to relax as the Lieutenant began to say nice things about his performance.   Even telling him to be careful with his sports activities wasn't too bad.  Until...

"...Especially if'n ya are tryin' ta impress a Lass."

His gaze, previously straight ahead, now zagged to look at the Lieutenant before returning to its forward orientation.

Galloway proceeded to deliver romantic advice about how best to proceed in a romantic relationship with Jada.  It wasn't the very worst embarrassment of his life, but it surely ranked among the top ten.  The worst part was when the Lieutenant cautioned to 'take things slowly.'

So... the general consensus that he and Jada were more than friends had percolated throughout the entire ship, right up to the upper-echelons of the bridge.  It made the lack of such a romance all the more frustrating.

Part of this was his own fault, no doubt.  Comments like the one he'd made to the engineering crewman surely did nothing to dispel  such rumors.  He was a Sehlat hooked by his own claw.  And he'd yet to even lay a single kiss upon her soft lips...

He blinked himself out of such imaginings.  "Thank you for your... advice.  Sir.  The Chief and I are... just friends."

Feeling the need to underline that statement in some way, he added, "I am not averse to the basic concept of romance, however, so should you have any recommendations of likely partners among the crew, I would be willing to entertain a suggestion or a... sightless meal." 

Having made the deflection, he stepped out of the Lieutenant's way so that he could conduct the inspection.

Ian smiled again, something he probably wouldn't do with any other Vulcan, but he knew of Solluk's medical condition and felt that it was worth the effort to try put him at ease as he could, especially after his mangled metaphor regarding the idea of a blind date.

"On this particular topic Lad, you are well within yer rights ta tell me ta bugger off. I only brought it up because of a bit of insight drawn from the decal you've added ta the Tigris. Your relationship, whatever form it takes with Jada, really isn't my business, and it absolutely stays between me and you Lad.

"It's just that history is littered with the bones of lads that met their end tryin' ta win the affections of a lass. We are too far from replacements fer me ta lose any pilots, especially one of my best."

"As fer meetin' someone among the crew, that's even less of my business than whatever is goin' on between you and Jada. However, the term is 'blind date' and as I've been on a dry spell, I'm nae the one ta give advice on that particular topic.

"Now Lad, let's get ta business..."

Jada

Quote from: Kintiss on July 08, 2017, 11:32:46 AM

"Not completely," Kintiss replied "and it issss your choice on whether you take them or not, but I'd sssuggessst carrying them with you anyway, jussst in cassse." It may be useful for her now, but what about when it wasn't? He was only looking out for her well-being. Still, he couldn't make any crewman undergo a medical procedure unless it was life-threatening to either them or the rest of the crew. This was anything but, so the decision was hers to make.

Jada sat in silent brooding for a time, contemplating whether to take the pills or not. She figured that if her cold or whatever it was eased up, the heat would be easier to manage. Ultimately, she didn't have to decide now. 'Alright, thanks doc.' she drawled, slipping the packet into a pocket.

She sniffed, surprised to find air again. Her Gallandan cold must be clearing after Kintiss's hypospray. 'Am I good to go on duty, or should I take time off?' The hard part, of course, was being bored and randy.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Solluk

[Shuttlebay One]

Solluk stood by, mostly containing his latent anxieties, as the Lieutenant completed his inspection.  Galloway was thorough, as always, but not pedantic in his attention to minor details.  All in all, the routine was concluded without much pain.  As things were drawing to a close, curiosity on matters other than romance began to tickle his mind.

"Sir," he asked, "Might I ask, if it's not classified, what the nature of our current mission is?  I often feel somewhat disconnected from current events in the shuttlebay.  We generally only get briefed on a situation when a shuttle launch is anticipated."

Playing 'guess the mission' was one of the favorite pasttimes of the shuttle crews.  Usually, rumors would circulate to the flight deck about what was going on.  Enough to make educated guesses.  But if nothing was being launched, detailed information was infrequently passed down.

(tag)

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Solluk on July 10, 2017, 09:43:27 AM

[Shuttlebay One]

Solluk stood by, mostly containing his latent anxieties, as the Lieutenant completed his inspection.  Galloway was thorough, as always, but not pedantic in his attention to minor details.  All in all, the routine was concluded without much pain.  As things were drawing to a close, curiosity on matters other than romance began to tickle his mind.

"Sir," he asked, "Might I ask, if it's not classified, what the nature of our current mission is?  I often feel somewhat disconnected from current events in the shuttlebay.  We generally only get briefed on a situation when a shuttle launch is anticipated."

Playing 'guess the mission' was one of the favorite pasttimes of the shuttle crews.  Usually, rumors would circulate to the flight deck about what was going on.  Enough to make educated guesses.  But if nothing was being launched, detailed information was infrequently passed down.

[Shuttlebay One]

Ian was again impressed with how well Solluk maintained his ship and smiled as the Vulcan asked a question that was on his own mind.

"Mister Solluk. You have done a fine job with the Tigris. I'm certain some overly starched types would object ta yer decal, but as you know, I have a holodeck program that features 20th Century atmospheric craft and such adornments are considered highly prized works of art, and I agree.

"As fer our mission... Bloody hell if'n I know. We're pokin' at another noig of a nebula again. Last one we looked at cost too much in my view, but we're explorers in Starfleet, so we're explorin'."

Ian smiled conspiratorially and leaned in closer to Solluk to add in a stage whisper.

"Half the time I'm on the bridge, 'I often feel just as disconnected from current events' as you are here. It might surprise ya ta know, many of our 'missions' come from just travelin' along and bein' closest ta whatever happens ta drop into the pot at that particular moment."

He then laughed as he continued.

"Honestly, inspections of embarked craft isn't exactly my favorite task every month, but when we're on autopilot like we are now, my lot on the bridge is largely one of unmitigated boredom. Thus, here I am lookin' at shuttles and runabouts, but at least I get ta talk ta the members of my division and get off of the bloody bridge for a few hours.

"Once again, outstandin' job with the Tigris lad. I'll be seein' ya about and if'n ya ever want ta take a crack at a P-40B Tomahawk on the holodeck, please let me know. However, duty calls."

Ian made a great show of sighing deeply as he headed for the next closest item on his inspection list, which happened to be a type-9 shuttle withe all too appropriate name of USS Vortex.

Julia Rellek

[Bridge]

Julia was reviewing the days duty roster as she was settling in for a quiet day, well at least as quiet as it got on the bridge of a Galaxy Class vessel. She noticed that science seemed to have a lot on their plate. She raised her eyebrows sightly, excited that they might need a hand from her. "Naga, we'll need to get stellar cartography moving on charting our latest scans. Being out here in the Gamma Quadrant is certainly keeping them busy." She commented with a slight chuckle.

The quiet ship was suddenly shook a violent jolt pulled Julia from her seat and to the floor. The Tempest was flung from warp and spun quickly in circles as it exited it's warp bubble. The klaxons went off automatically covering the entire bridge in a red glow as the ship violently shook. As the ship came to a stop Julia stood up. Her hair had fallen in front of her face, she brushed it to the side as she spoke above the klaxons.

"Report!"

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Julia Rellek on July 10, 2017, 03:58:23 PM

[Bridge]

The quiet ship was suddenly shook a violent jolt pulled Julia from her seat and to the floor. The Tempest was flung from warp and spun quickly in circles as it exited it's warp bubble. The klaxons went off automatically covering the entire bridge in a red glow as the ship violently shook. As the ship came to a stop Julia stood up. Her hair had fallen in front of her face, she brushed it to the side as she spoke above the klaxons.

"Report!"

[Shuttlebay One]

Ian had just finished his inspection of the Vortex and was typing on his PADD his findings as he stood next to the shuttle when the world went sideways. Up was left, right was down, and he was flying. Fortunately, he kept himself physically fit and was able to absorb most of the impact, but not all. He heard a crack in his side as he landed and rolled, ending up in a heap with his head spinning.

"Deoghail am fallus bhÁƒÂ rr duine mharbh siadha tiadhan!" He snarled as he felt the pain in his side and crawled to his feet, wincing.

"That can't be bloody good, but first things first, what in the south side of hell was that?"

He wobbled toward the exit , until he saw petty officer Jacobs, the pilot of the Vortex lying in a pool of blood next to him and that a fire had broken out on the shuttle that the computer controlled suppression system was not handling. After a moment of disbelief, he tapped his commbadge.

=/\= "Galloway ta sickbay, medical emergency in shuttlebay one! =/\=

Kneeling down beside the injured man, he began applying pressure to his bleeding leg. Spotting several other crew looking just as confused as he, but were just milling about, causing him to snarl.

"Pull yer bloody heads out of yer bloody arses! One of you get on that fire! And I need help over here!"

Kintiss

Quote from: Jada on July 10, 2017, 02:17:19 AM

She sniffed, surprised to find air again. Her Gallandan cold must be clearing after Kintiss's hypospray. 'Am I good to go on duty, or should I take time off?' The hard part, of course, was being bored and randy.

"You're good to go," Kintiss said. It wasn't a major illness, so Jada could attend to her duties as normal. However, that also put responsibility for monitoring her condition in her hands. "Don't hesssitate to contact Sssssickbay if anything changessss." He hadn't been on this ship long, but from his experience on his previous assignments, something would change.

Klizh

Quote from: Julia Rellek on July 10, 2017, 03:58:23 PM

[Bridge]

Julia was reviewing the days duty roster as she was settling in for a quiet day, well at least as quiet as it got on the bridge of a Galaxy Class vessel. She noticed that science seemed to have a lot on their plate. She raised her eyebrows sightly, excited that they might need a hand from her. "Naga, we'll need to get stellar cartography moving on charting our latest scans. Being out here in the Gamma Quadrant is certainly keeping them busy." She commented with a slight chuckle.

"Report!"

Even with inertial dampeners, K'lizh felt a sense of nausea, be that from their spinning, or the stars hurtling past the viewscreen in a direction they were not supposed to go. He found himself clutching his console and willing himself to look down and focus on that rather than give in to the sickness.

"Warp field has collapsed... left nacelle is offline... sensors are going crazy, I can't make sense of this data!"
he called out, his deep voice pitching upwards in urgency. This was not a good area of space to get stranded in.

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.