S2 M1"Macrocosm"

Started by Julia Rellek, June 28, 2017, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solluk

[Sickbay]

Solluk's head shot up as Jada entered the sickbay.  He was simultaneously pleased to see her, and more pleased that she had not walked in when he was confessing personal feelings about her to Doctor Kintiss.  She had brought her snake in, making the space suddenly feel a bit like a serpentarium.

She explained to Kintiss that her snake was sick.

And then she sniffed.  A mucousy kind of sniff.

Solluk looked her over carefully, and not in the usual way.  Her skin was paler than normal.  Her eyes weren't quite bright enough.  He glanced back to the snake in the cage.  It looked like it had always looked.  Tongue flickering contentedly.  Head slightly raised to look at its surroundings.

Solluk had never been a titan of intellect.  He'd never performed much above average on any of his IQ tests growing up.  Simply passing his astrogation exams had been a challenge.

But he was no fool.

Jada had taught him a word, once.  Something like 'honor' that was specific to Orions.  He did not completely understand it, but he thought he was beginning to gain the ability to recognize it.

'Cluros', she'd called it.  It was a complicated thing, but right now it seemed simple enough.

She was sick.  And she was self-conscious about it.  Perhaps being an emerald sex-pot was an important part of Orion culture, and not merely a side effect of biology.  Perhaps being sick somehow impinged on her self-image.

"Doctor Kintiss has just cleared me for duty." Solluk reported, standing and moving closer to her.  "I look forward to resuming our wrestling matches.  Though, truth be told, I always seem to end up squeezed between your powerful thighs."

Whereas he had previously avoided being overt in his examination of her, he now made a point of being seen to see her.  Then he leaned even closer, till their bodies were nearly touching, but spoke loudly enough for others to hear.

"Chief," he declared, oddly using her formal rank, "I know that it is probably socially inappropriate to initiate a flirtation with a superior, but I can not help but notice how alluring you are this morning.  The outfit you are wearing is particularly effective at highlighting the curvature of your gluteous maximus.  I hope you will not mind if I hurriedly depart, but I feel that if I remain any further, I will be unable to refrain from saying or doing something that would further violate protocol."

To Kintiss, he added, "Thank you for your time, Doctor."

He then proceeded out of Sickbay, quite pleased with himself for his clever ruse.  He had maintained Jada's self-image and also given her the privacy she might need to discuss her illness with the Doctor, perhaps maintaining her 'Cluros.'

Starfleet was really developing him into quite the cosmopolitan.

He was half way up the hall before he realized that he'd just said, as a ploy, precisely the words that he'd often thought in private.

And that was when he began to panic.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Jada

Sickbay

Jada was surprised but pleased to find Solluk receptive to her advance. With her head spinning and clouded, she didn't think to question this much. She was operating largely on automatic, on instinct, without a lot of good judgement to hold her back. Standing very close, closer than in most of their sparring, she tried to sniff his scent, but this came out as a mucousy sniffle and she couldn't smell anything. So Jada tried and utterly failed to snuffle seductively. 'I'm glad to hear you're good to perform.' she purred, words slurred and nasally. Then Solluk tried his compliment, and she became lost in the technical terminology. It was hardly romantic. Completely unromantic, in fact. Jada wasn't sure if it was flirting or not. 'Huh? she was left wondering dully as he escaped from her. Foiled!

Frustrated in several ways, Jada turned her attention (since Solluk wasn't there to solely occupy it) back to Doctor Kintiss. 'Thanks, docÁ¢â,¬"' She sneezed.

The snek was in fine health, if a bit overfed. It was small, strong-boned, and venomous, but almost domesticated. It was kind of like a cat.

'Doctor...' Jada began hesitantly, 'I think I might just possibly have picked up,' sneeze, 'A bug from Galland IV. I mean, I'm in perfect health, obviously, just a bit out of sorts, but I'm ready and able to take my shift. I just thought you might want to take a look at it, for the sake of the crew...' she ventured, rather reluctantly, toward the truth.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Klizh

Quote from: Julia Rellek on July 03, 2017, 12:52:25 AM

[Bridge]

Julia couldn't help but chuckle, although she wanted to be angry. "Computer." Julia said as the ship responded acknowledging her. "End the holographic program." She ordered. The image in the Captains chair quickly faded away. "Safe to assume you've had a quiet night, Commander?" Julia asked.

"Yes, Captain," K'lizh said. "Long-range telemetry detected some low-level subspace interference emanating from the nebula we're heading to. Nothing that should interfere with warp drive, though I wouldn't recommend using the transporters in the vicinity unless it's an emergency," he reported, bringing up the data onto his console to check for any new developments. "Also, the replicator systems seem to be on the fritz. Again."

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Klizh on July 04, 2017, 12:46:21 AM

"Yes, Captain," K'lizh said. "Long-range telemetry detected some low-level subspace interference emanating from the nebula we're heading to. Nothing that should interfere with warp drive, though I wouldn't recommend using the transporters in the vicinity unless it's an emergency," he reported, bringing up the data onto his console to check for any new developments. "Also, the replicator systems seem to be on the fritz. Again."

[Bridge]

Ian sat at the helm and frowned.

"Not another bloody nebula. Last time we poked around one of those bleedin' things, all hell broke loose. At least if someone is hidin' inside this one, it won't those Tzenkethi buggers."

With the ship essentially on auto-pilot, Ian had nothing to do, so his frown deepened as he thought about losing the first person under his command and how much he was beginning to hate the Tzenkethi.

Nicholas Mortier

Quote from: Julia Rellek on July 03, 2017, 12:52:25 AM

[Bridge]

Julia couldn't help but chuckle, although she wanted to be angry. "Computer." Julia said as the ship responded acknowledging her. "End the holographic program." She ordered. The image in the Captains chair quickly faded away. "Safe to assume you've had a quiet night, Commander?" Julia asked.

[Main Engineering]
Just as soon as the EMH appeared, it vanished. The power readings returned to their normal state, while Nicholas grew more and more fascinated as to what happened. His initial examination revealed that the holographic matrix was modified by ops. To understand this anomalous behavior, Nicholas would need to delve into the holographic matrix itself, which could cause further malfunctions. He chose to report to the captain before going further.
=//\\=Mortier to Captain Rellek. The EMH seems to be malfunctioning. With your permission, I'd like to take it offline and run a diagnostic=//\=

Julia Rellek

Quote from: Klizh on July 04, 2017, 12:46:21 AM

[Bridge]

"Ugh." Julia let out an exasperated sigh at the news the replicators were acting up again. "We just can't seem to keep these things going." The replicators had been a continual problem on the Tempest since the day she took command she was ready for them to be fixed once and for all. As she started to speak the communications system chirped.

Quote from: Nicholas Mortier

[Main Engineering]
Just as soon as the EMH appeared, it vanished. The power readings returned to their normal state, while Nicholas grew more and more fascinated as to what happened. His initial examination revealed that the holographic matrix was modified by ops. To understand this anomalous behavior, Nicholas would need to delve into the holographic matrix itself, which could cause further malfunctions. He chose to report to the captain before going further.
=//\\=Mortier to Captain Rellek. The EMH seems to be malfunctioning. With your permission, I'd like to take it offline and run a diagnostic=//\=

=/\="Acknowledged, please inform the good doctor and proceed."=/\= Julia said.

Looking back to K'Lizh she finished her thought. "Looks like engineering has their hands full. Can you have a few of your people get on those replicators. I want them fixed." She said. As she spoke she took her seat and set her coffee to the side.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Kintiss

Quote from: Jada on July 03, 2017, 10:34:55 PM

Frustrated in several ways, Jada turned her attention (since Solluk wasn't there to solely occupy it) back to Doctor Kintiss. 'Thanks, docÁ¢â,¬"' She sneezed.

The snek was in fine health, if a bit overfed. It was small, strong-boned, and venomous, but almost domesticated. It was kind of like a cat.

'Doctor...' Jada began hesitantly, 'I think I might just possibly have picked up,' sneeze, 'A bug from Galland IV. I mean, I'm in perfect health, obviously, just a bit out of sorts, but I'm ready and able to take my shift. I just thought you might want to take a look at it, for the sake of the crew...' she ventured, rather reluctantly, toward the truth.

[Sickbay]

That was most enlightening. Kintiss had never seen a mammalian courtship ritual happen like that before, and he'd certainly never seen Solluk act the way he had. The Vulcan continued to amaze him.

He was loathe to leave the company of Jada's snek, since he was growing a little fond of the creature, but he had a patient to see to, apparently.

"Thessse thingssss happen, chief," he said somewhat reassuringly, turning his medical tricorder to her. "I'm ssssure the crew have nothing to worry about."

Jada

Sickbay

'I'm glad to hear that, doctor.' Jada submitted to the scan, though hardly willingly and shuffling uncomfortably, because she was, of course, not that sick.

The scans showed the Orion to be running a temperature that would kill a human. It should even put an Orion out of action, but Jada had a particularly robust constitution and was gutting her way through it regardless. An Orion's body temperature was around 47Á,° Celsius, 10Á,° more than a human's, but Jada's was closer to 50Á,° C, indicating high fever, causing delirium. She was also congested, drowsy, and had irritated eyes, all common symptoms of a cold- or flu-like infection.

Worse, and most awkwardly, she was exhibiting elevated levels of estrogen and other Orion sex hormones. It had probably been triggered by the fever and recent extreme seasonal variations. These hormones contributed to the raised body temperature, and indicated she was also in her estrous cycle Á¢â,¬"œ that is, in heat, when the Orion woman was more sexually active.

Which meant that, like a ticking time-bomb, she was about to exude large quantities of narcotic pheromones, more so than normally.

'So I can go on duty?'

James H. Hawk

[Main Engineering]

After the stopover on Galland IV the crew was (mostly) well rested after a long period in space. It was good for the crew to stretch their legs but now they were back on board the Tempest and continuing to explore the Gamma Quadrant. James still couldn't belive he'd made it to Executive Officer at such a young age much less of a ship as large as the Tempest and entrusted with being among the first Federation ships in years to enter the Gamma Quadrant.

James was currently going about rounds across the ship checking on various areas to make sure everything was running at peak efficiency. His next stop was Main Engineering.

"Mr. Mortier," he said, "Is everying running well down here?" He asked.

Kintiss

Quote from: Jada on July 05, 2017, 10:50:19 PM

The scans showed the Orion to be running a temperature that would kill a human. It should even put an Orion out of action, but Jada had a particularly robust constitution and was gutting her way through it regardless. An Orion's body temperature was around 47Á,° Celsius, 10Á,° more than a human's, but Jada's was closer to 50Á,° C, indicating high fever, causing delirium. She was also congested, drowsy, and had irritated eyes, all common symptoms of a cold- or flu-like infection.

Worse, and most awkwardly, she was exhibiting elevated levels of estrogen and other Orion sex hormones. It had probably been triggered by the fever and recent extreme seasonal variations. These hormones contributed to the raised body temperature, and indicated she was also in her estrous cycle Á¢â,¬"œ that is, in heat, when the Orion woman was more sexually active.

Which meant that, like a ticking time-bomb, she was about to exude large quantities of narcotic pheromones, more so than normally.

'So I can go on duty?'

[Sickbay]

When the scans revealed that Jada was in her estrus cycle, AND a fever, Kintiss knew that he couldn't let her go for a while. He didn't want to think about what might happen if she happened to send out a bunch of pheromones during a red alert situation. Fortunately, there were many ways to work around it. Modern medicine was a marvel, after all.

"In a moment," he replied as he loaded a hypospray and pressed it to her neck. "Thisss sssshould alleviate the sssymptomsss of your illnessss. However, you're currently in the middle of an essstrussss cycle, and that could interfere with your dutiessss." He shuffled over to Sickbay's replicator and ordered "Compound 43385, pill form." In a swirl of light and matter, a clear canister full of light blue tablets appeared.

"Thessse are hormone regulatorsss," he explained. "You'll need to take one every eight hoursssss, with water." How interesting it was now that such a treatment could be reduced to pills. "I ssssuggesssst taking one before you go back on duty. Call if anything changessss."

Jada

Sickbay

Taken by surprise, Jada flinched sharply as Kintiss hyposprayed her in the neck. In her delirium, she considered breaking his arm in self-defence, but settled for a suspicious look instead. Snapping bones was too much effort. 'You could warn a patient.' she mumbled, rubbing her neck. She sniffled tentatively, she felt marginally better already, but the symptoms weren't going to go away immediately.

As Kintiss brought up the estrus, Jada muttered a dark curse. She couldn't expect the doctor not to detect it with his tricorder, but it was a thing to discuss with other Orion women. Who were in preciously short supply here in the Gamma Quadrant. 'I don't let it interfere with my duties.' she declared defensively, 'It can be useful, even.' She glanced warily to the blue pills. She remembered that Naira on Risa had offered something similar, some kind of suppressants, but Jada had reasons for not wanting to suppress or eliminate the cycle and the effects it had on her. 'This won't stop or suppress the cycle, will it?' she asked, hoping it wouldn't.

Klizh

Quote from: Julia Rellek on July 04, 2017, 10:35:46 PM

[Bridge]

"Ugh." Julia let out an exasperated sigh at the news the replicators were acting up again. "We just can't seem to keep these things going." The replicators had been a continual problem on the Tempest since the day she took command she was ready for them to be fixed once and for all. As she started to speak the communications system chirped.

=/\="Acknowledged, please inform the good doctor and proceed."=/\= Julia said.

Looking back to K'Lizh she finished her thought. "Looks like engineering has their hands full. Can you have a few of your people get on those replicators. I want them fixed." She said. As she spoke she took her seat and set her coffee to the side.

That was the problem with human engineering sensibilities, in K'lizh's personal opinion. They had a tendency to push the boundaries, but occasionally the boundaries pushed back. Rushing experimental technology out into the field had often led to unnecessary accidents. How many times had a transporter split a being into two, or merged two beings into one, or sent someone into a whole different reality? Their technology was remarkably easy to fix or to modify, but it also broke down just as often. It wasn't how Caitians would have done things. Yet somehow humans were one of the most influential species in the quadrant, and K'lizh suspected that was only partially due to their comparatively-remarkable breeding rates.

=/\=K'lizh to Mister Masters. Our replicators are malfunctioning again. Get with engineering and see what you can do to have them functioning again, please. The Captain's caffienation levels depend on it.=/\=

K'lizh twisted around in his chair. "If you're interested, Captain, I have a selection of teas from my homeworld back in my quarters that I could brew for you. Ferasan tea has an even greater kick to it than a raktajino."

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Klizh on July 07, 2017, 12:16:33 AM

"If you're interested, Captain, I have a selection of teas from my homeworld back in my quarters that I could brew for you. Ferasan tea has an even greater kick to it than a raktajino."

[Bridge]

Ian listened to Klizh and nodded.

"Mister Klizh has the right of it Ma'am. A proper cup of tea is just what the doctor ordered first thing in the morning, and again at 1600 hours if'n ya keep ta proper tea time that is. Never been a fan of coffee myself, too bitter fer me."

Nicholas Mortier

Quote from: James H. Hawk on July 06, 2017, 08:08:16 AM

[Main Engineering]

After the stopover on Galland IV the crew was (mostly) well rested after a long period in space. It was good for the crew to stretch their legs but now they were back on board the Tempest and continuing to explore the Gamma Quadrant. James still couldn't belive he'd made it to Executive Officer at such a young age much less of a ship as large as the Tempest and entrusted with being among the first Federation ships in years to enter the Gamma Quadrant.

James was currently going about rounds across the ship checking on various areas to make sure everything was running at peak efficiency. His next stop was Main Engineering.

"Mr. Mortier," he said, "Is everying running well down here?" He asked.

[Engineering]
Nicholas was still astounded at how young the XO was, and at how fast he must have risen through the ranks. James occasionally seemed to be just as amazed by his own rise. Nonetheless, it was quite impressive, and even the cynical engineer had to acknowledge Hawk's clearly bright future.

Good morning, sir! Nicholas said with a touch of coffee-derived energy, The key systems are as good as they've ever been, but it seems the EMH was tampered with. Do you happen to know anything about that?

Nicholas needed someone with security experience to be able to figure out who tampered with the EMH. If Hawk didn't know, and would not help him out, he would need to somehow recall the name of the Chief of Security.

Solluk

[Main Shuttlebay]

As was often the case for Solluk, he fled to the workplace to escape his anxieties.  Thankfully, this was a routine he could return to now that he'd been cleared for duty.

The Tigris was waiting for him, the now-familiar decal serving as a vivid reminder of his recent encounter with Jada in the sickbay.  He knew that he had to find some way to resolve the undercurrent of desire that threatened to undermine the foundation of their friendship.  But he did not know how to resolve it.  Nor did he know precisely what form that resolution should take.

Part of him very much wanted to see where else they could take their relationship.  But even as he yearned for that undiscovered country, he feared the perils it held.  Jada would never be anyone's woman.  He was not even sure it was a biological possibility for her to be monogomous.  Meanwhile, Vulcans were among the most monogomous humanoids in the galaxy.  He had to believe that part of this monogomy was to keep the so-called 'green monster' of jealousy at bay.  A monster that had been very much a threat to them during their barbaric and warlike past.

A past that might very well become part of Solluk's present, now that his brain had been violently re-arranged.

He was certain that he could not have her unless he was willing to share her.   And he was equally certain that once he had her, he'd never want to share her.  Such a sense of ownership was highly illogical... but illogic had become a ghost that haunted him and could not be easily dispelled.

How did non-Vulcans cope with such conflicting nonsense?

Gradually, the duties of the day helped him to push aside such thoughts.  Rather than the usual flight-checks, today was a welcome change of pace.  Today, he was performing direct technical maintenance on the systems themselves.

Pilots were not required to have the same extensive knowledge of systems that Engineering or Operations personnel might possess.  However, becoming a flight control crewman did involve extension courses into the mechanical side of vehicle maintenance.  Certain basic repairs might have to be conducted in the field, and a craft might have to be checked by the pilot himself on a mission far from the mother ship.

Solluk kept these basic skills in practice by opening the ship's utility panels and conducting physical diagnostics and component replacements.  He'd pull an isolinear chip or a plasma relay, perform an independent diagnostic, and then replace it.  There were 42 seperate such component removals and replacements to be conducted. It wasn't as bad as it might seem.  Each component only took about a minute to complete.

When he was done, he performed an automated systems diagnostic before calling an engineering crewman to check his work.  Arthur was on duty today, and seemed glad of the distraction.

"Heard aboot you breaking your leg," Arthur said as he double-checked the seating and function of the various components, "I guess that means you finally got her in the sack, eh?  They as wild as I hear?"  He winked.

Arthur was from the Canadian province on Earth.  Solluk decided that the rumors of Canadian politeness had been somewhat exaggerated.

"I impacted a tree while travelling at 24 miles-per-hour on a set of snow-skiis," Solluk corrected the man.

"Did she nurse you back to health," Arthur persisted.

Solluk considered that, "In a manner of speaking.  She contributed to my rescue and initial treatment."

"Yeah," Arthur nodded, as though hoping for a more titillating follow-up.  He waggled his brows.

"Yes," Solluk confirmed.

Arthur hesitated a bit, then shook his head and resumed his work when he saw that the gossip had run dry.  "Vulcans."

After a while longer, Arthur concluded his work.  "Looks like it all checks out.  Just like the last eight times I checked.  You've got a talent for this, Solluk.  You should go into Engineering full time, become a grease monkey like me.  There's not always something to fly, but there's always something to fix."

It pleased Solluk to hear praise from an engineer, though he somewhat doubted he had the intellectual capacity to repair complex systems.  "I shall take it under advisement," he said in acknowledgement, "Thank you for your time."

As Arthur was departing, Solluk suddenly felt that he should add something else.  Say something to return the kind gesture of praising his work.  He thought back to something he'd heard once on Mars.

"Her legs," he told Arthur, "Go all the way up."

"Yeah they do!" Arthur exclaimed, holding out his fist.

Solluk extended his own fist to touch Arthur's, not entirely sure of what the significance of the phrase was.  But it got the sort of enthusiastic response he'd seen in the past.

With that, Arthur departed, seemingly pleased with the conclusion of their dialogue.  Solluk's gaze settled on the brightly colored decal on the side of the Tigress, and he sighed softly.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.