Mission 2.2 The Constant of C

Started by Constance Lafayette, April 01, 2017, 07:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Leonard T. Scott on April 04, 2017, 10:31:00 AM

(Mess Hall)

Leo surprised even himself by giving Kathryn a hug. He typically didn't do that, but it seemed appropriate. Once he released the embrace, he departed for the bridge.

The hug from Leo took her by surprise slightly but understood why he had and found herself smiling at the gesture before watching as he left the Mess Hall. She then disposed of her tray and dishes thinking that today might just be a good day after all before she also left the Mess Hall and made her way to the nearest turbolift. She stepped inside and called for the Brig after deciding to check in there first as she still had time to kill before her shift started officially and if there were any tasks that needed doing then she would be happy to do them and give her something to do.

Brig

Once out of the lift she proceeded to walk along the corridor until she came to a stop outside the main doors walking through as they opened and was a little surprised to see Steven there as she had been expecting the Brig to be quiet. " Hello Commander is there anything you need me to do before I start my official shift ?" she asked as she approached him.

Academy Commandant

Christian Grix

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on April 04, 2017, 11:31:00 AM

The hug from Leo took her by surprise slightly but understood why he had and found herself smiling at the gesture before watching as he left the Mess Hall. She then disposed of her tray and dishes thinking that today might just be a good day after all before she also left the Mess Hall and made her way to the nearest turbolift. She stepped inside and called for the Brig after deciding to check in there first as she still had time to kill before her shift started officially and if there were any tasks that needed doing then she would be happy to do them and give her something to do.

Brig

Once out of the lift she proceeded to walk along the corridor until she came to a stop outside the main doors walking through as they opened and was a little surprised to see Steven there as she had been expecting the Brig to be quiet. " Hello Commander is there anything you need me to do before I start my official shift ?" she asked as she approached him.

As she spoke Steven came back from his thoughts and turned to look at her "Is it that time already"? he asked as he lowered his feet to the floor. As he stood he brushed down his uniform and turned to greet her. "Not a lot to do really, keep an eye on the walls, you have a Klingon in 4 with a sore head, or at least it will be when she wakes up". He passed the PADD over to Carter and the looked at the time.

"Oh come on Casey, you must have better things to do than come here two hours early" He laughed for a second or two the locked her in his stare "Unless there is someone you are trying to avoid, is that it? one of the crew took a shine to you has he"? He watched her face for any signs that would give her away.

"I tell you what we can do, I am due a patrol anytime now so we can do it together let people see you and get to know the places you need to check". he signaled the Tellarite crewman to take over the brig and fastened up his tunic. before heading to the door.

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Steven Black on April 04, 2017, 02:56:22 PM

As she spoke Steven came back from his thoughts and turned to look at her "Is it that time already"? he asked as he lowered his feet to the floor. As he stood he brushed down his uniform and turned to greet her. "Not a lot to do really, keep an eye on the walls, you have a Klingon in 4 with a sore head, or at least it will be when she wakes up". He passed the PADD over to Carter and the looked at the time.

"Oh come on Casey, you must have better things to do than come here two hours early" He laughed for a second or two the locked her in his stare "Unless there is someone you are trying to avoid, is that it? one of the crew took a shine to you has he"? He watched her face for any signs that would give her away.

"I tell you what we can do, I am due a patrol anytime now so we can do it together let people see you and get to know the places you need to check". he signaled the Tellarite crewman to take over the brig and fastened up his tunic. before heading to the door.

"I'm afraid so and that's going to be interesting when she does" she replied with a slight grin before looking over at their guest in cell 4 so as to avoid looking at him as he brushed his uniform down until he passed her the PADD. Unable to look away or not answer him as he locked her in his stare and asked those questions wanting the ground to open up and swallow her right there and then so she didn't have to say anything. However knew she had to say something even if it was a lie " Not really I just like to be useful and no well maybe you wouldn't believe me if I told you " she said finally looking away as her heart pounded in her chest.

Knowing she couldn't say no or get out of going on patrol with him without more awkward questions so followed him to the door " Yes sounds good to me it will give me the chance to get to know the ship better too".

Academy Commandant

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Catrin Maddux on April 04, 2017, 04:30:03 AM

[Sick Bay - Exam Room 1]

"Entirely off the record, please. It's really just ruling out possibilities." Cat stood and paced the small room, arms folded behind her back.

"I guess I should start at the beginning. I've never really put it too much out there, but I am half Betazoid although I was raised human. Part of me didn't want to acknowledge it, but I've always been different." She sighed and continued her agitated pacing, arms clenched a little tighter.

"It's just, for the past month or so, ever since the incident with the Borg, my emphatic abilities have become more difficult to control. I've been moody, lashing out. I can't tune out others thoughts the way I used to. By the way, don't go with the tuna sandwich. Tuna is awful." She shook her head, annoyed at the outside thoughts seeping in.

"It's affecting my focus, my relationship. I just want to be sure it's not something physically wrong with me, before I go seeking other help." The counselor spun on her heels and faced Caleb. The sleeves of her uniform hid the angry red marks from grasping her arms too tightly.

"Can you help me?" Her tone was pleading, but her eyes still danced with nervous energy.

[Sick Bay - Exam Room 1]

"Of course I can. Sit down and I will do a scan. The results will be encrypted on your PADD so please have it out, Caleb said. Sounding professional, yet concerned. He put on a pair of gloves and steraized the area where he would put on the neurocortical monitor. "This may be cold." Caleb said this as he used a bit of rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to sterilize the area that the monitor would be placed on. He then got the monitor out of a drawer, took it out of its package, and placed it where her jaw met the right side of her neck. He then pressed the start button on her PADD to begin the scan. "This should be a few minutes just relax and we will look over the results together,"Caleb said sitting down in the doctor's chair in the room.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

James Carter

[Office]

James stood quietly as the message finished playing. He placed his hands on his desk and let out a long drawn out sigh as he thought over all the mistakes he'd been making since he came back. Finally he shook his head and left to go to the bridge.

[Bridge]

As James arrived on the bridge he looked over everyone and offered a small smile before walking over to the captain. "Anything I should know?"

Race Warez

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on April 03, 2017, 11:49:36 PM

{Bridge}
Then, turning to Race, she asked, "How goes it Mr. Warez? Have you composed yourself for the task ahead?"
She'd heard small talk was... a thing. She'd even read a particularly interesting data file on it recently and had decided it would improve morale if she attempted such things on occasion.
She was immediately regretting it.

It would never have occurred to Race that the Captain was attempting Á¢â,¬Ëœsmall talk'. Not only was she not the type but never had he seen her behaving in way that did not advance the mission. These were traits Race strongly supported. His culture did not generally engage in unnecessary talk. Communication was more respectful that way.

"I only wish I knew more about advanced warp technology. Is this a form of Borg trans-warp?  Is it a result of enhanced tri-lithium? What? What ever it is I'm sure the engineers are having a field day with it."

"I do know that maintaining a warp field under such conditions will be unusually difficult. Anything I can do to help, please let me know. At the moment I can only say that sensors and computers are all online and operating better than required norms."

Race was pleased when the XO came on the bridge. In his experience if Carter was around they had a better chance of surviving. Warez knew this was dangerous. Without a lot more understanding he could not even begin to guess their actual odds. He wondered if Carter knew or cared. Certainly the brass knew and that included Lafayette and Kirok. He trusted them. They must understand the risk they are asking us to take.

Mr. Carter on the other hand, did not seem to care about risk to himself, and sometimes it appeared not for his crew either. Not that this bothered Race in the least. He had not planned on having a timid life. Á¢â,¬ËœRisk is our business.' he thought. He trusted the XO too, in a different way. Though he was still planning to retire and run the family estate someday.

Today though, he would fly at Warp Factor 12. Warez had to admit he had never been a fan of the warp 10 equals infinite velocity theory anyway. Who say the universe or even multi-verse is infinite? Unbounded perhaps, but that was a different theory. And this new drive could open up whole parts of it for our exploration.

He looked around the bridge. A first class crew by any standard.

"Once again science station ready and if I may speak freely sirs, Come on guys! Lets get this ship running!" Incited Warez as he straighten his tunic and paced a bit at science station.

[

Constance Lafayette

{Bridge}

Constance stood as James entered, giving him a professional little nod as he did so.

"We are about to initiate the first, intentional, Warp 12 test flight with our new engines. As detailed in the briefing from the research and development yards- the final check requires both the Commanding Officer and the First Officer to ignite them as there is a 0.37% chance that they were implode the ship." She said, rather flatly. There was clearly a bit of black humor in her voice- she wasn't too keen on the idea but great advances required great trials and great people to pass them.

"No Mr. Warez. Though we have some adapted Borg technology in place on this ship, as I'm sure you well know, this is entirely of the Federation's design. It represents our best efforts in the field of Warp Theory and engines development- the strides we've made in the last ten years is staggering."

There was something akin to pride in her voice. Though she'd gotten over her distrust of aliens years ago- she was still proud of humanity and it had been a human who had worked on this.

"Helm." She ordered, "Begin countdown to Warp 12 test flight. T-minus 1 minute." She said and shot James a grim look.

"Warp 12 engines test authorized. Authorization Lafayette Four-Five-Six."

=/\= "Mr. Sorran. I've just given my authorization to start up the engines. Once Mr. James does... I believe the phrase is Á¢â,¬Ëœlight her up'." =/\= The Captain ordered proudly. If they were going to die- at least she'd go out on her own terms.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Catrin Maddux

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on April 04, 2017, 06:02:30 PM

[Sick Bay - Exam Room 1]

"Of course I can. Sit down and I will do a scan. The results will be encrypted on your PADD so please have it out, Caleb said. Sounding professional, yet concerned. He put on a pair of gloves and steraized the area where he would put on the neurocortical monitor. "This may be cold." Caleb said this as he used a bit of rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to sterilize the area that the monitor would be placed on. He then got the monitor out of a drawer, took it out of its package, and placed it where her jaw met the right side of her neck. He then pressed the start button on her PADD to begin the scan. "This should be a few minutes just relax and we will look over the results together,"Caleb said sitting down in the doctor's chair in the room.

[Sick Bay - Exam Room 1]

Cat closed her eyes and tried to relax, as she laid in the biobed. It was never easy being on the patient side of the equation. She figured she'd fill the silence with words, otherwise she would just worry more.

"My Da thinks I ought to contact my mother. I've gone this long with bare minimal communication with the woman, I'd hate to break my streak." She licked her lips and gave a soft sardonic laugh.

"It's funny. As a counselor, I know the value of open communication, but I have so much trouble applying it to my own life. I never told you about my mother. Haven't told Leo either. I haven't told him much of anything as of late." The bed quietly creaked as she shifted, more uncomfortable from the topic than the mattress.

"There's supposed to be some engine test today. I don't really know the specifics. I guess I've been caught up too much in my own problems. Are we almost done here, Caleb?"

Tell me your troubles and doubts. Giving me everything inside and out...

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Catrin Maddux on April 06, 2017, 12:55:29 PM

[Sick Bay - Exam Room 1]

Cat closed her eyes and tried to relax, as she laid in the biobed. It was never easy being on the patient side of the equation. She figured she'd fill the silence with words, otherwise she would just worry more.

"My Da thinks I ought to contact my mother. I've gone this long with bare minimal communication with the woman, I'd hate to break my streak." She licked her lips and gave a soft sardonic laugh.

"It's funny. As a counselor, I know the value of open communication, but I have so much trouble applying it to my own life. I never told you about my mother. Haven't told Leo either. I haven't told him much of anything as of late." The bed quietly creaked as she shifted, more uncomfortable from the topic than the mattress.

"There's supposed to be some engine test today. I don't really know the specifics. I guess I've been caught up too much in my own problems. Are we almost done here, Caleb?"

[Medical Bay - Exam Room 1]

"Yes there is supposed to be a test here shortly. Looks like the scan was successfuly completed. I'm just waiting on the results. I'm going to take the monitor off in just a moment. Look I know you just told me that you have bare minimum contact with her, but your dad may have a point. I know you don't want to break the streak, but take it from someone whose lost both parents that any opportunity, albeit small, wouldn't be wasted. Especially if she can help you normalize. I'm not saying to be buddy buddy with her by any means, but it would be beneficial to your health in my professional medical opinion," Caleb said. Catrin's PADD beeped signaling the success of the scan. He then walked over and removed the monitor.

"Ok Catnip, Let's go over the results before we talk anything too rash like contacting your mother,"Caleb said with a smile to reassure her that things were ok.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Katheryn Brighton

Turbolift

Katheryn was out of the door first and already walking towards the turbolift at the end of the corridor unsure how she was going to get through this patrol without his ability to get the truth out of her. Actually hoping for something to keep them occupied or at least try to change the subject because she didn't want him to know the truth not if it was going to cost her their friendship and she rather take that secret to the grave. Remaining quiet as she entered the lift and once Black was inside she called for the Bridge, trying not to look directly at him as the lift began to move upwards towards their destination. Wanting the life to hurry up so they could just get there without any awkwardness.

Academy Commandant

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on April 06, 2017, 07:02:09 AM

{Bridge}

Constance stood as James entered, giving him a professional little nod as he did so.

"We are about to initiate the first, intentional, Warp 12 test flight with our new engines. As detailed in the briefing from the research and development yards- the final check requires both the Commanding Officer and the First Officer to ignite them as there is a 0.37% chance that they were implode the ship." She said, rather flatly. There was clearly a bit of black humor in her voice- she wasn't too keen on the idea but great advances required great trials and great people to pass them.

"No Mr. Warez. Though we have some adapted Borg technology in place on this ship, as I'm sure you well know, this is entirely of the Federation's design. It represents our best efforts in the field of Warp Theory and engines development- the strides we've made in the last ten years is staggering."

There was something akin to pride in her voice. Though she'd gotten over her distrust of aliens years ago- she was still proud of humanity and it had been a human who had worked on this.

"Helm." She ordered, "Begin countdown to Warp 12 test flight. T-minus 1 minute." She said and shot James a grim look.

=/\= "Mr. Sorran. I've just given my authorization to start up the engines. Once Mr. James does... I believe the phrase is Á¢â,¬Ëœlight her up'." =/\= The Captain ordered proudly. If they were going to die- at least she'd go out on her own terms.

{Bridge}

Leo was seated in his customary position. Once he heard the captain give the order, he tapped the console.

"Countdown has begun," he stated.

It was getting exciting. They were going to be going faster than anyone has gone.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

James Carter

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on April 06, 2017, 07:02:09 AM

{Bridge}

[Bridge]

James shrugged slightly before responding. "Only .37%? You and I both know that's lower than normal for us." James joked slightly before continuing. "Warp 12 engine test authorized. Authorization Carter Zero Eight Four. We should probably send out a ship-wide message to let everyone know that if they look out their windows they might see all of time and space."

Constance Lafayette

Quote from: James Carter on April 07, 2017, 01:23:46 AM

[Bridge]

James shrugged slightly before responding. "Only .37%? You and I both know that's lower than normal for us." James joked slightly before continuing. "Warp 12 engine test authorized. Authorization Carter Zero Eight Four. We should probably send out a ship-wide message to let everyone know that if they look out their windows they might see all of time and space."

{Bridge}

Constance nodded to James as if they were perhaps talking about disagreeable weather out their window,

".37 was our most conservative estimate. It could be as high as .79 but I didn't want to scare you." She added, a little barb in the word and she even smiled a little. Her heart was filled with butterflies but part of her liked this.

She tapped one of the button's on the arm of her Captain's chair and a boatswain's whistle sounded before her business-like voice reached all parts of the ship,

=/\= "Now hear this. This is the Captain speaking. Our test of the new Warp 12 engines will begin shortly. We do not anticipate any issues but all crew members are to secure themselves now. Stand by for warp 12 engines ignition in T-minus 30 seconds. That is all." =/\=

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Mess]

"You're a strong little bugger, Mahak." Lieutenant K'Shore said, drinking an Andorian ale.

"You show potential." Mahak allowed. He was joining K'Shore in a companionable drink, in his case a small glass of Vulcan brandy. The liquid was a pale amber, nearly without aroma or taste. K'Shore had been aghast when he'd ordered it.

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on April 07, 2017, 01:32:11 AM

{Bridge}

=/\= "Now hear this. This is the Captain speaking. Our test of the new Warp 12 engines will begin shortly. We do not anticipate any issues but all crew members are to secure themselves now. Stand by for warp 12 engines ignition in T-minus 30 seconds. That is all." =/\=
[Mess]

"Well whaddya know?" K'Shore asked, glancing at the nearest porthole with interest. "This should be a sight."

"It will be an intriguing scientific experiment." Mahak told the other man, sipping his brandy.

"Intriguing? If this works the Federation will have a tactical advantage over any enemy!" The Andorian said excitedly.

"It will also require more testing, more study, research, regulations, and so on before it is implemented."

"You Vulcans! You don't take any pleasure out of life. But I'll drink to you all anyway." K'Shore threw back his ale. "Drink up, Mahak! We may need one after this test."

Christian Grix

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on April 06, 2017, 04:34:57 PM

Turbolift

Katheryn was out of the door first and already walking towards the turbolift at the end of the corridor unsure how she was going to get through this patrol without his ability to get the truth out of her. Actually hoping for something to keep them occupied or at least try to change the subject because she didn't want him to know the truth not if it was going to cost her their friendship and she rather take that secret to the grave. Remaining quiet as she entered the lift and once Black was inside she called for the Bridge, trying not to look directly at him as the lift began to move upwards towards their destination. Wanting the life to hurry up so they could just get there without any awkwardness.

Black walked in and leaned against the back wall looking over the PADD and nodding as she called out bridge. He stayed silent for a few seconds and then ordered "Hold Turbolift" as he watched her again trying not to look at him.

"Ok Lieutenant, what's on your mind? because it's affecting your duties". He paused as he waited for her to respond, when she didn't even turn he then asked "Is it something I have done, because if it is it wasn't deliberate and I want to know".

He stood drumming his fingers on the PADD the last thing he wanted to do was have to go to the XO with this, If ever two men were never going to see eye to eye it was those two unless one of them changed dramatically.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.